by PostgreSQL Global Development Group4.6 / 5 237 reviews
Who Uses This Software?
All industries, all sectors, all countries
Average Ratings237 reviews
- Overall 4.6 / 5
- Ease of Use 4.2 / 5
- Customer Service 4.1 / 5
- Features 4.5 / 5
- Value for Money 4.6 / 5
- Free Version Yes
- Free Trial Yes
Installed - Mac
Cloud, SaaS, Web
Installed - Windows
24/7 (Live Rep)
- PostgreSQL Global Development Group
- Founded 1992
Free open source post-relational database system that runs on all major operating systems. PostgreSQL's 25 year development history provides a huge range of features for Developers and DBAs, delivered in a robust software server used world-wide. PostgreSQL is rated in the top 5 databases by DBEngine, above most commercial systems. With millions of deployments in embedded systems, major cloud providers and major on-premise installs, PostgreSQL is the most popular choice for new app development.
- Access Controls/Permissions
- Backup and Recovery
- Data Migration
- Data Replication
- Database Conversion
- Mobile Access
- Multiple Programming Languages Supported
- Performance Analysis
- Data Migration
- Database Conversion
- Performance Analysis
- Storage Optimisation
PostgreSQL Most Helpful Reviews
Reviewed on 31/07/2018
Comments: In my very particular opinion I feel comfortable working with Postgres for more than 10 years, it is reliable and safe, the best thing is that it is free, which allows you to save on licenses, it is ideal for any type of development. I totally recommend it
- Free code database manager, which is not used for licensing.
- Easy to install and configure in any operating system.
- Ideal for relational databases.
- It has a large community in which you can share doubts.
- It is stable and reliable, scalable and secure with the correct user management.
- Can work with small and large databases.
- Handles the SQL language.
- Being free software, it is compatible with several graphic tools that help administration and database design. I particularly recommend working with PgAdmin in its latest version for postgres 9.6.6 onwards.
- Easily works as a cluster, can be configured as active-passive or active-active which improves performance
- It allows to perform maintenance, recovery of databases.
- I have tested the installation and use in Windows 7 operating system and Debian version 6 to 8 and works without problems.
- Likewise I have worked in postgres since its version 8.1 to 9.6.6 and a positive change has been noticed and performance improvements, but I insist on the point at which the databases should be fine designed.
- Many people declare it as slow in insertions and updates compared to others Managers, however, that will depend on how well designed the database is.
- For some, not having support online or with an official help center can be a big disadvantage.
- It is advisable to have command knowledge to work on consoles and terminals to perform a good configuration
Reviewed on 07/07/2018
PostgreSQL is powerful and robust, it fits perfectly in large projects
Comments: With PostgreSQL I have been able to perform my work satisfactorily on multiple occasions, my bosses and I are happy with the results we have obtained, saving hardware investment costs because we have focused on the database, I hope to have future benefits to the use it in projects for own clients.
Pros: I really like PostgreSQL I have used it several times for large projects in my previous works and in the current one it is used as a database for the web page of the institution, the power of PL / pgSQL is excellent, it allows me to program commercial layers in the database without any problem this improves the response times of the final applications and allows investments in hardware in the database servers instead of in the application, the management of schemes is perfect. It is important to mention that it is free software that implies having a large database without licensing costs. A feature of PostgreSQL is the multiversion concurrency control that allows transactions consistent with time, which provides great performance advantages. PgAdmin is a graphical tool with which I can manage different databases easily and intuitively, execute SQL statements, as well as create backup copies or perform maintenance tasks. Another thing that I like about PostgreSQL is that it is available for many platforms, it is possible to install it from the repositories of the Linux version that I use. It should be noted that the PostgreSQL user community is one of the most active in the market
Cons: There are some things that I do not like about PostgreSQL, permissions allowance per user can be annoying, I have had to work many times on this and it is difficult, it is also relatively slow when I insert and update small databases. The official support does not have telephone or online support, although there are official forums available where users can express their doubts to which other users of the community respond. The syntax of some of your commands or statements may not be intuitive if you do not have a medium level of knowledge in the SQL language. I have had problems migrating from a PostgreSQL version to a higher one. Compatibility is sometimes relative.
Reviewed on 13/09/2018
Database Manager PostgreSQL
In my experience using the software I really liked that it allows adding custom functions developed using different programming languages.
The integrity of the data and the referential integrity of the foreign key are maintained. It has allowed me, in an easy and secure way, the asynchronous replication of the databases for an alternative center in case of disasters. I did not like it is that when I have any doubt about an error presented in the system where the database is working, I can not clarify it because there is no specific place to which, because and com solve the error.
PostgreSQL allows to control high concurrency, offering security by domain definitions, who can access the database server, the backup copies of the database can be made completely or only a table, according to the request, restorations and tasks maintenance, in addition to replicate in case of disasters.
It also allows to activate triggers to execute in tables or views in special cases or eventualities.
It has a friendly graphical interface for the administrator, through which they can be done from the creation of the database, to execute query querys and updates of the data, if necessary, you can have details with the status tool of the server referring to the queries that are executed in the DB (if there are locks, duration, etc.).
It allows the development of robust and efficient Databases
Cons: There is no online or telephone support. Only official forums are available where users expose their doubts that other users of the community respond to, ademas it consumes many resources
Reviewed on 21/09/2019
The database everyone should be using
PostgreSQL is an incredibly powerful piece of software that should be the RDBMS in every software project instead of less powerful but more famous alternatives.
Personally it will be my choice for every future project.
Pros: PostgreSQL is so powerful, complete and stable. This should come with no surprise given the long history behind it. At the same time it's incredibly modern and supports new paradigms (like NoSQL, JSON data types) and it's also very simple to familiarize with.
Cons: It's unbelievable how PostgreSQL is not as well-known as one of his competitors (MySQL) notwithstanding the fact that is so much more powerful.
Reviewed on 14/11/2018
One of the best database managers for the world.
Comments: From my point of view postgreSQL I consider it one of the most powerful database managers, since I use it daily, from my role as a database administrator, as well as a web developer, since it allows to manage environments put into production easily, with an acceptable and intuitive configuration.
-Easy installation and configuration in other environments.
- Pgadmin management interface of the databases, very intuitive and complete with the necessary to a few clicks, I recommend keeping the graphical tool for the stability it offers.
-It has a connection balancer, known as pgpool that allows to manage the cluster structure well.
-Principles of replication between active-active or active-passive servers
Variety of console-level command options for restore or backup tasks and maintenance tasks
-principal manager for developers for the scalability and stability it offers.
-Management of free access, which allows the use of it without any problem, without any cost
-Ideal manager for the management of relational databases
-Allows the management of different versions on the same server with multiple database intentions with different listening ports.
- Poor documentation
- Functional technicians commonly report a slowness at the BD level, but that depends on how the DB is structured and especially if good database practices are applied