15 years helping British businesses

About athenaOne

Our award-winning healthcare IT solutions give providers greater control, so they can focus on what they do best.

Learn more about athenaOne

Pros:

Single login to a completely integrated solution: EMR & PM. Great out of the box reporting tools.

Cons:

This is an additional step that has caused some issues with providers placing cases in the wrong place or not closing them properly.

athenaOne ratings

3.8
3.6
3.8
3.5

7.1/10

athenaOne has an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5 stars based on 845 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used athenaOne before?

Karissa Faye
Karissa Faye
BSN in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 5,001–10,000 Employees

easy to use

Comments: I am using it in my work and I have not received any complaint of difficulty or malfunction with payment from the patient and just this week, I have used athenaone as a patient used when I paid my bill from Banner Health. I can truly say it is a very good and recommendable software to use.

Pros:

It is easy to use, fast and transactions are safe. As of today, I did not encounter any patient that complains when it comes to their billing statements with athenaone software. The statement enters through a link sent via SMS and email, in that way the patients will have choices in whatever mode they want to use to access their medical bill.

Cons:

The only thing I would suggest for improvement is that once the patient settled the bill, they cannot review back immediately the previous bill posted but from the admin side, if there are any query from the patient, all the details can be accessed and viewed by the health care staff so it is still east to assist the patient.

Ben
Pharmacy Tech in US

AthenaOne

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: We really like AthenaOne and are learning new things about it monthly. It is convenient and easy to use once you learn it. There are so many ways that AthenaOne makes everything easier that you almost get spoiled once you learn how to do something the easy way.

Pros:

I like that AthenaOne is easy to learn and once you can navigate the different fields, you can know everything that you need to know about our patients.

Cons:

AthenaOne has a lot of different fields and functions that are available. Learning everything there is to know and how they can help with your practice is almost a full-time job.

Wren
Scheduling in US
Medical Practice, 11–50 Employees

Frustrating!!!

1.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Everything was fine when they had their old Legacy system, but they'd rather go with a "modern" -read: all white and runs together- look instead of improving upon a schedule that already worked. Genuinely, I would NEVER recommend them to anyone, and if I were in charge of switching our practice's interface, I'd ditch Athena so fast.

Pros:

The Legacy system is the only part of this system I like and use consistently. It's all right, but they're getting rid of it instead of improving the issues we've asked to have fixed.

Cons:

Where to start? The community aspect used to communicate with other users is only helpful when Athena feels that your voice matters, and unless you're kissing their feet, they couldn't care less about your comments/concerns. They'll merge or delete complaints about their new UI and refuse to ask their users for opinions before implementing a system that doesn't work. Then there's the fact that their new system isn't even user friendly! They would rather block you from commenting and voicing concerns than accept criticism on a broken system on the community page. On top of that, they'll send you the same script that DOES NOT answer your questions/comments/concerns instead of address the problem, then tell you to send complaints to their developing team, who in turn send you ANOTHER script. And don't even get me started on how many concerns/complaints have gone unsolved in the name of "modernity," or how their 'help' section answers almost no questions posed but will send you links to useless videos and threads that didn't answer the questions there, either. Utterly embarrassing. Needless to say, you'd be better off spending money on a company that actually asks its users on their opinion before implementing a broken UI and answers you.

Deborah
Family Nurse Practitioner in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed

I got my weekends back!

Comments: Amazing...I have no plans to change at this time as Athena provides me with the best EHR experience I have had in many years!

Pros:

Athena saves me so much time in the day to day operations of patient care and office management. So many features have been set up to same time for providers that many of the task are a few clicks! Like prescribing, referrals, encounter plans and faxing directly from the EHR. And so much of the patient check in, appointment reminders, result notification and scheduling is automated which helps as I am one provider practice without staff.

Cons:

I wish there were more areas of customization to allow for more unique practice set ups as my practice is boutique. There are tons of areas where you can customize but some of the patient facing messaging is hard coded and I would like to see those areas gain more options for customization. Additionally, I would like better communication and prioritization transparency about fixing coding bugs that impact Athena's capabilities.

Susan
Office Manager in US

User Friendly

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Overall I would choose Athena again and recommend it to my colleagues.

Pros:

AthenaOne does updates frequently to stay on top of the constant changes in healthcare. Training information is provided at each step of the way. The best feature is the live chat function that allows you access any assistance/troubleshooting needed in real time.

Cons:

The process to work claims on the back end takes some getting used to.

Taiwo
Physician in US
Medical Practice, 2–10 Employees

Tread Carefully and do not believe the sales rep

Comments: The EMR is ok to work with. I think combining with the RCM has really made the experience terrible. Please do not use their RCM or their billing service, you will lose money, miss deadlines for timely filing. They don't notify the practice if there is a large patient balance so you can't collect on time. They are so slow in updating patient and insurance payments so you don't know on time if your claims are denied early enough to take corrective action. This has been more frustrating. Once I took up the billing myself, life was so much easier. They also said you could downgrade at anytime, well there are stipulations to that, DO NOT BELIEVE WHAT THEY TELL YOU. They say you'll have CSM (customer service manager) to help make sure your billing is going well; well, that's if you ever get one to speak to you. They were supposed to reach out monthly to ensure you are getting all the money due to be paid to you, no one reached out to me. 3 months in, I started wondering so I reached out, then they switched me to someone else who was trying to sell me more products. I would not recommend their billing services or RCM at all. Just get your own biller.

Pros:

The EMR has good templates, the patient portal is pretty good. Implementation was the worst, they use these people who live in other countries who have the most minimum knowledge so implementing this was as stressful as using their RCUM. I had to ask for someone else because my go-live date was due and this guy could not answer my questions.

Cons:

The RCM and billing service is the worst. Don't even attempt it.

Teegan
Teegan
Medical Student Intern in US
Hospital & Health Care, 51–200 Employees

Some good features, but bad layout

Comments: It served its purpose while I was in school and I think it was chosen because it worked with multiple disciplines, but I never considered it for my own practice after graduation. It was too slow and not customizable enough.

Pros:

The templates and text shortcuts were probably the best part of this software. The ability to add drop down menus and text boxes to your text shortcuts was extremely helpful for creating templates. The ability to share those shortcuts was also very useful for providing the same template to multiple people. Epocrates, which is the prescription side of Athena was also very nice for looking up drug interactions.

Cons:

The layout of this software is terrible. Very confusing and it takes a lot of clicking to access any part of the patient’s chart. Not to mention switching between different sections of the chart requires the doctor who click and wait for the new page to load. This would have been much better if Athena used a more standard SOAP format all on one page.

Danielle
Physician Owner in US

Frustrating experience

4.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

The actual EMR is well designed and one of the best on the market. The workflows and order sets made use of the EMR very easy to use.

Cons:

We liked the Athena EMR. We did not like the Athena One package, the related onboarding process or the corporate policies of Athena. We were told that the onboarding process would be 3 months. During that time we had (unhelpful) weekly meetings with Athena reps. My staff and myself did the required ,yet excessive, onboarding tasks outside of these meetings. However after 5 months the Athena One build out was still incomplete due to Athena staff's lack of progress. Communications around their delays were met with corporate gaslighting and deflecting. This is a solo provide practice with 1-2 insurance panels. There is no logical reason that the EMR should not have been ready for use after 5 months. I have used Athena in other settings and it seems that they do a very poor job with submitting claims. Most practice lose money if they re relying on Athena One to submit claims.

Brandi
Medical biller in US
Medical Practice, 51–200 Employees

Billing is okay, AR is not

4.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

Billing is fairly easy to work through and train on. Navigation is alright, but there could be some shortcut implemented.

Cons:

You pay for both the program AND athena employees to work your claims. They honestly don't have the skills and knowledge to effectively manage the AR.

CFO in US
Hospital & Health Care, 501–1,000 Employees

EMR review

4.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

Billing ease, reporting, functionality and customer service.

Cons:

Level of growth and capacity level of As the company grows may be limited.

Julie
Health Information System's Manager in US

Bells and whistles

Comments: We are a Family Medicine Residency which makes managing the clinic more complex for us than most clinics because our providers are all part-time, there's Faculty over site of the Residents, and they are learning. We went live 2 1/2 years ago with 75 end-users and have been very successful with Athena. Implementation took about 2 1/2 months and was up to full schedules within 5 weeks of go-live. We've added on Dulcian CCM software which has helped us earn a lot of income doing CCM just documenting time we were missing in our old EHR. We've also implemented electronic check in which has helped get more historical information in our charts and more screeners completed on our patients. We realized a 1 FTE decrease in Medical Records and have realized savings in other areas.

Pros:

There are lots of bells and whistles built into the software and they are moving towards releasing more and improving all the time. Free interfaces make life so much easier for us! Athena listens to users when developing the software, they are visionary with future software needs in order to meet MIPS requirements. Implementation was big but there were people helping us through each step. We have an amazing Account Manager and meet with him once a month to go over open issues and discuss financials. Athena is overall a very forward-thinking company. Athena Marketplace has lots of add-on features to help make your staff's lives easier. We've acclimated well.

Cons:

The tickler system for follow up visits are subject to user errors and need constant review. However, honestly, most recall appointment tools usually do because patients just don't return on time or try to get as much time in between visits as possible. Task assignment over rides (TAO) take some getting used to and are hard to filter for some incoming document situations. I wish there were more filters on the TAOs. Our patients feel like we over-communicate with them so if you go with Athena, make sure you start asking the patients their communication preferences from the first new appointment they schedule with you. It's important to get phone calls unchecked if they do not want reminders in several ways for the same thing. Call campaigns to get patients back in for visits are embellished with their wording and can contradict what you said in your message. ie: You do not need an appointment to get your labs drawn. Then Athena adds You are due for an appointment in the email and you don't even know they are saying that to patients so something to watch. All software has things we wish were different.

Mary
Director of Strategic Operations in US
Hospital & Health Care, 501–1,000 Employees

Great all around

Comments: Overall, my experience has been very positive with Athena.

Pros:

Athena asks for client feedback (often and in different ways) and actually acts on those suggestions. In this way, Athena develops a product that is more useful to the users.

Cons:

CSC interactions. Support is not tailored to the sophistication of the user. Often times, we contact support as a last resort after trying various methods to solve the issue. CSC starts at the most basic level of response and then takes additional time to escalate the issue to a higher level of support.

Bethany
Revenue Cycle Manager in US

run away...very fast

Comments: I would NEVER recommend this system to anyone that has any knowledge on how claims and payments should be worked and posted. It's a nightmare.

Pros:

Easy to use from a claims submission stand point after that it goes down hill fast.

Cons:

Do NOT let Athena co-source with you and do your claims follow up and payments!!

Cameron
Primary Care Physician in US

Worst EHR Imaginable to a Physician

Comments: I am a Family Medicine primary care physician. I have worked w/ my fair share of various EHRs over the years & have to say that, of all the ones I’ve used in the past, Athenahealth is w/o a doubt the absolute worst. To be fair, it does have (some) good things about it as aforementioned above, but those helpful features pale in comparison to the daily struggle that using this system most commonly affords to the provider. Note that the majority of those singing this product’s praises via reviews on this website are administrators who only have to use it for billing & not the doctors actually battling & doing the necessary hard work in the trenches. That should tell you something. And those few doctors who do like it tend to either not be in primary care or, based on their specialty, simply don’t actually have to use & document on it much. But as an individual w/ even the slightest shred of computer programming/coding experience, I can quickly look at this EHR & recognize a system which was initially poorly coded & has since long been neglected by its original developers. Again to reiterate, IT/customer support is entirely absent & derelict in their duties to continually improve on this system. One final piece of food for thought to top it all off is that I was just getting so frustrated w/ this system over time in a sort of Pavlovian conditioned sensitization that I was ultimately forced to resign from my first-time career job as a PCP as a result. So don’t be me.

Pros:

The organization of certain sections was done pretty well. Easy INR managing. Fairly good growth charts w/ automatically calculated percentages available. Good implementation of external screening questionnaires, meaningful use, etc. Ability to create auto-texts, templates, etc.

Cons:

Glitchiest product imaginable: text formatting issues, superimposed text transferring to next screen, text failing to scroll to next line causing entire paragraph to look jumbled up, poor copy-paste, small view screens/boxes, stubborn dragging/sorting of ICD diagnosis code boxes, frequent slow-downs, freezes, sudden unpredictable crashes failing to save one’s note work. Severely outdated terminology for certain medical diagnoses making simple common diseases difficult to find in search feature. Abysmal medication refill system. 3, 5, sometimes even 10-15 min. to address 1 refill request (inexcusable). Very difficult to confidently say whether a prescription has actually been filled or not. Medication lists are just a complete trainwreck. ‘Medicare monthly order form’ is not a medication that should EVER need to be reconciled. System shockingly even was able to allow me to prescribe controlled substances under other doctors’ names unwittingly & w/o their consent. Poorly interfaces w/ outside labs, pharmacies, hospitals, other clinics, etc. Does not communicate well w/ others. Requires way too much daily hands-on maintenance work to keep organized, unsustainable for a busier practice. Absolutely ZERO (& I do mean ZERO) helpful customer or IT support. Even had an Athena clinical trainor fly in to seemingly attempt to help, who only sat in the break room & fiddled on their computer the whole week & ultimately proved incapable of providing effective solutions.

Small to medium business EHR Solutions

Comments: Overall, this is a decent solution. We have grown exponentially as a non-profit and it's quite possible that we could have gotten a bigger product like Epic or Allscripts, but Athena fit what we needed at the time and changing it would be... intense. It has ushered our care into the digital age, and I think if you are a small or medium sized business Athena would fit the bill nicely for all of its features and usability.

Pros:

We use AthenaHealth every day. The portal is easy to use and implement (users simply configure a browser, login). Their help desk is pretty decent. For a small to medium business looking for an Electronic Medical Portal for their staff to use, Athena would make a great alternative to larger options like Epic or Allscripts. It supports proprietary devices (payment processing, or card and check scanning devices) which can be a pain but makes purchasing and insurance scans and patient registration and charting easy overall. Updates seem to be fairly streamlined and well-communicated (happen quite often) and don't seem to impact care unless it's a larger update. Athena has a backup domain (if their site does down) as well as stack updates for troubleshooting down times with different components of the EHR which is VERY helpful.

Cons:

Most changes are up-voted, which means that they are voted on by other agencies trying to get their changes implemented as most valuable. Things like Billing and Patient Care do not streamline well enough yet together--they work in two separate constructs, so our billing is constantly having to rework the way that they bill to fit the way Athena works with Patient Care. Troubleshooting with our medical assistants can sometimes be complex with Athena, so for more complex issues, the help desk might take you to two or three different folks to solve an issue. The Help Desk has become more complex making it harder to navigate ticketing. It was simpler to put in a ticket prior to the changes.

Sharyl
Practice Administrator in US
Medical Practice, 11–50 Employees

Athena creates EHR efficiency for medical practices

Comments: As stated above, since our Athena "Go Live" 2 1/2 years ago I have been able to reduced our medical practice overhead, reduce staff, all while increasing revenue, and providing to our providers and staff a manageable clinic day. At the end of each day, all messages and calls are returned to patients and the days charts completed.

Pros:

I have worked with and launched four other EHR's. When people ask me what I like most about AthenaNet, I tell them that "Athena just makes sense." We have a very busy medical practice seeing over 35 patients each day in our clinic along with answering over 60 triage messages on the phone or through the patient portal daily. Since our Athena "Go Live" 2 1/2 years ago I have been able to reduced practice overhead while increasing revenue, all while providing a manageable clinic day for our providers and staff. At the end of each day, all messages and calls are returned to patients and the days charts completed. Our success has been mostly do to Athena's ability to streamline our patient visit process from check-in to check-out, plus communication with patients outside of the patient visit. Our check-in process with co-pays, scanning insurance information and updating demographics, day of visit medication updates, and insurance verification have significantly reduced check-in time. Providers are able to view imaging within the patient's chart allowing clinical decisions and patient concerns addressed during the visit, along with orders placed using custom templates and patient information printed with patient identification barcode on each page that we designed to create an efficient process at intake, exam and check-out all in the exam room. In addition, billing and dictation are typically completed either during the exam, or before the end of that day.

Cons:

The CSC process needs to get better. With the new CSC Create a Case process issues and problems are difficult to get resolved with one phone call. Many times my issue needs to be escalated, not able to be solved by the person on the phone.

Jennifer
Health Care Consultant in
Medical Practice, 2–10 Employees

Consultant with AthenaNet in different practices

Comments: My business partner and I have had extensive experience with AthenaNet and EMRs, in general within a spread of different medical practices. AthenaNet is similar to any other EMR in that it works really well for some practices and not as well in others.

Pros:

The billing component is extremely beneficial though, I have found that some of my offices have thought that is does ALL billing. (Again, I think it's a lack of understanding and initial training.) The access to helpline is great. Having a live person to talk to has been helpful. (It's sometimes can take longer periods of time to come to a solution but they normally stay patient until there is a solution. I've been on the phone with help desk for up to 3 hours before.) Educational videos are always available for staff to turn back to. Live in-office trainings would help AthenaNet to be more successful. (I had a cardiologist go-live with AthenaNet then 3 weeks later returned back to his original EMR. I believe it was because of the lack in training. Physicians don't typically take time to watch training videos.) The EMR continues to evolve based changes in health care. AthenaNet assigning scanned paper work to patient charts.

Cons:

Common complaints we hear from physicians, staff and admin - there is a lot of scrolling within a patient chart. Yes, you can jump using links but it takes a lot of retraining old habits. Quality Reports can't be adjusted - such as running reports for quality measures for different time periods for in-office comparison. Dates within reports don't show up in the header when printed. Defaults are practice wide and can't be adjusted.

Heather
US
Medical Practice
Used the Software for: Not provided

Ready to pull my hair out!

Pros:

Customer support is really responsive and easy to get ahold of. Unfortunately, the level of expertise of the customer support staff is variable, so often, they do not know the answers to the questions we have. Billing is a pretty common area of issue here.

Cons:

I was assured that this program had a lot of podiatry based templates and that they were simple to modify. However, there are very few templates for my specialty, and trying to make or change a template is frustrating! It takes an hour at least to do one template. And, you cannot use the same template choice more than once in a template, so if you are trying to chart two feet, good luck! The EMR takes forever to implement (11 weeks). I think that our implementation manager did not do a very good job of setting us up, so we have been having to try to learn everything on our own, which is frustrating and time-consuming when we are busy trying to see patients. There is a lot of typing that has to be done during patient visits, which takes a lot of time and slows my pace and ability to see as many patients as I would like. Trying to just put in CPT codes takes forever. Also, save your work every minute because there is no auto-save on this program and I have lost so much information! Do not believe it if you are told that Athena does your insurance credentialing for you. We have had to do it all ourselves. And you cannot pick and choose what claims are dropped for payment; it is all or nothing, so have a lot of working capital available while you credential. EFT (electronic funds transfers) have to be done through US Bank. We use Wells Fargo, so I have to do money transfers, which take a couple business days to process, and that is a real pain. We have also found out the hard way that unless we track each individual claim ourselves, secondary insurances may fall through the cracks, leaving money on the table that we have to find and process ourselves. I fear that our income is not going to improve (contrary to their claim that they improve collections by 8%) and, in fact, that we will potentially lose money. Our paper usage has increased substantially. You cannot just scan documents into the program. You have to fax them to Athena, and they sort them and place them into the patient's chart. However, you have to have a front cover and back cover bar code for each fax you send them so that a one-page fax becomes three pages. E-prescribing is hit or miss, so I have to double check that all e-scripts actually have gone through. Also, we get numerous complaints about how complicated the patient portal is.

Yagnesh
Cloud Engineering in India
Information Technology & Services, 201–500 Employees

AthenaOne is a great resource for medical professionals looking to modernize their office and stream

Comments: Overall, AthenaOne is an excellent platform for healthcare providers to use for improved quality care and better business results.

Pros:

I like that AthenaOne provides an integrated suite of tools and services to help providers manage their practice and ensure quality care. The medical record is comprehensive and easy to use, and payment capabilities are streamlined. It also includes integration with a clinical network that provides access to additional resources. In addition, the patient engagement feature helps build relationships and facilitate better care.

Cons:

The least favorite part of AthenaOne is that it can be a bit expensive to purchase and implement. It may also require additional training to get the most out of its features. However, the cost and time invested in AthenaOne is worth it when considering the long-term benefits it provides.

Vicki
Practice Manager in US

EHR for Doctors Office

Comments: We really have not had any issues on the EHR side with Athena. I have run into some issues on the billing side and processing of payments, etc.

Pros:

The implementation was easy to set-up. Athena was a big help in creating forms and letters. The tempplates are easy to set-up and modify as well. Once the forms have been created you can also make changes to them as well. The order of the check-in through check-out process is set-up in a way that is easy to navigate and goes in order of how you treat your patient. The best part is that Athena takes care of the MIPS, MACRA, etc data that is needed for Medicare without adding additional work for the staff. I like the fact that there are less documents that require scanning, since all of our faxes go directly into the system and are attached directly to the patient's record. The reporting options are also very good with this system.

Cons:

I really don't dislike anything about the software, other than it would be nice to track letters that are sent to the patients. So you can print off collection letters or follow-up letters and it would automatically record that a letter went to the patient, without you having to make a notation.

Luis
Physician in US
Medical Practice, 201–500 Employees

The Best EHR, but can be even better

Pros:

- SO easy to use - Has excellent and easily accessible customer support - Has a system to "vote" for new ideas and improvements from users - Maximizes workflow and efficiency - Allows for fair amount of customization for organizational needs

Cons:

While Athena as an organization has a platform to vote on and suggest ideas, they seem less interested in improving the product that they have and more interested in moving forward as the EHR of the future. While I appreciate their aspirations, as a user, I think it would behove them to take a pause and a deep listen to what the users are asking for to improve upon what they already have. The product they have is great, but there are small glitches and ways in which it could be even more smooth and seamless and maximize profit for the users. A great example is that they don't have a well developed way of interlinking CPT2 codes to the necessary places. All this has to be done manually by the users and it is a very clunky and time consuming process. CPT2 codes are the way of the future where insurance companies will be utilizing them to quantify quality. If Athena continues to ignore this gaping lack of service, they will lose clients to other programs (i.e. Epic) which have integrated this process more fully. Athena could benefit from not just listening but acting on what FQHCs have been telling them for years as ultimately this will put them ahead of the game and prepare them for the future of medicine.

Molly
Clinician in

I LOVE IT!

Comments: We've been using Athenahealth since 10/2010. The first year of transition took some preparation each evening before seeing the next day of patients BUT entering the notes was my pre-visit preparation and I really got to know my patients! We designed our templates, I write and use templated notes for results - my patients get their results within hours after I receive them, and their PCP gets a copy of my note after each visit. No more calls/postage - and I have documentation that our patient opened my note and received her result!
Patients appreciate our getting things "right" and enjoy have access to their chart through the portal. Since 10/11, I walk out of the office 5 minutes after my last patient leaves; all the bills are dropped as patients leave. I do about 15-20 minutes of online charting and calling on days I'm not in the office - from the airport, on vacation, etc. Minor issues are handled by email. The last of our paper charts is scheduled for shredding soon!

Pros:

It is designed for me. Information is at my fingertips and I can personalize each visit just as I did with paper. No filing, no searching. Very helpful have Epocrates built into the Rx field. I've never had an issue with support not addressing my issue.

Cons:

If you don't type, you won't appreciate any EMR - I take advantage of HPI, notes and Assessment fields to write/type the same note I would write in the past. (Now it's legible.) Miss having Up To Date coordinated with the chart. The system has been "out" only once in our experience - fortunately, Athena was very responsive and we were running again before we found pen/paper.

dale
MD, surgeon in US

Bait and Switch

Comments: The athena account manager position ( or title de jour) has been a revolving door. We have never had a meaningful relationship with them before we are assigned a new manager.

Pros:

The EMR was initially easy to set up. The billing functionality was adequate at first

Cons:

Any requests for improvement are completely ignored. For instance, from the start we were told that an android app was just around the corner. That is still their position 13 years later....it will never happen. We are just told to "put it on the suggestion board". However, the reason for my review today is that the price has suddenly jumped in a huge way. Even though we have been told that the price (Percentage of GROSS collections) will drop over time, they have just raised the percentage that they take again. This is being blamed on "inflation" but obviously inflation alone will increase their withholding since they are on a percentage of collections basis. They in fact are just taking a bigger piece of the pie. Totally dishonest. And it is being done against our will, with no contract negotiation.

Robert
Director of Finance and Operations in US
Hospital & Health Care, 11–50 Employees

Think of your Best Hire - that's Athena

Comments: Exceeding our expectations - consistently delivers - 100% recommend.

Pros:

Athena has a true "Skin in the game" model, their performance impacts their payment. Negligible start-up costs with great first year and on-going support as well as employees who engage with us to help us succeed and grow.

Cons:

We've had to engage with third party vendors for some services we feel Athena should be able to provide. That added cost is not optimal.

Renee
Office Manager in US
Medical Practice

Horrible please look at someone else

Pros:

I like the fact you can Athena fax records but you can only fax 10 pages at a time through it. More than that it said it was to large to Athena fax. I like that it uses a scanner for ID cards and ins cards. Just keeps a pic of it, does not upload info from the cards while scanning

Cons:

Most everything! Still need a biller! I don't know what really I am paying for with this large % they are taking from me.. We work most claims our self. When they say you have a manager to help, they just refer you to the csc.. Which is the 1800 hotline help. Most times they don't know the answer and 1 question takes 15 min to solve. They always say "let me put u on a 5 min hold while I find an answer" When I need to schedule it is not user friendly. I have to delete an apt to reschedule. Not a good flow. Now about refunding overpayments. The office has to do it! Again! This is the help Athena states.... When a claim develops a credit balance, the OVERPYMT kick code is applied and the claim moves to OVERPAID status. Then I need to review the claim and investigate whether a payer intends to recover the funds and then determine the appropriate response. Refund Takeback Unclaimed payment Clients are responsible for working claims with insurance credit balances (overpayments). This includes contacting the payer, reviewing EOBs, and initiating takebacks or refunds. There is no support at all!!! Everyone points the finger. Manager says call csc.. And csc cannot get answers. We did not get paid for 3 months when we started back in December 2015. And once I can actually get money and fill my savings again for my business I will be finding a new Emr! The worst financial decision I ever had was going w Athena and believing they are good with billing. Once you start with Athena you feel trapped because you have to stick it out or you could go bankrupt. I will be glad to talk to anyone wanting to go with Athena and tell you about all my documented problems.