15 years helping British businesses

AppFolio Property Manager Reviews

4.5 (1,895) Write a Review!

About AppFolio Property Manager

Complete cloud-based property management software solution for professional residential and mixed-use property managers.

Learn more about AppFolio Property Manager

Pros:

We love the ease of use, flow of the interface, and the online integration, the cost is inline with other comparable software, so you definitely get what you pay for.

Cons:

Totally closed system (no open API), so it's impossible to integrate other things with. Their in-house call center is expensive and poor value for the money, considering wait times.

AppFolio Property Manager ratings

4.5

8.7/10

AppFolio Property Manager has an overall rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars based on 1,895 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used AppFolio Property Manager before?

Filter reviews (1,895)

Joe
Joe
Executive Vice-President in US
Real Estate, 201–500 Employees

#1 single-family residential PM software

Comments: Our experience with Appfolio has been great! It has created efficiencies within our single-family division that didn’t exist previously. I’m optimistic that over time they will develop more features that will allow us to be even more efficient.

Pros:

It’s robust yet easy to use, dependable, constantly evolving, their developers listen to their customer’s needs and if possible delivers, issues are handled quickly by their web based customer service team, and it’s affordable.

Cons:

The layout of the property financial statements are subpar and difficult for our clients to understand; its not the best software choice to manage commercial or multi-family properties; it’s lack of customization

Tammy
Property Manager in US

Property Management with AppFolio

Comments: Overall, I love AppFolio. The system is clear, clean, and easy to follow and learn. A lot of the fields are self-explanatory and the help button is just a click away and the team with AppFolio does a good job with I ask for help. The explanations are clear, concise, easy to follow, and make sense. In the past 15 years, I have used many different software systems to track property management. AppFolio has been the easiest to navigate to get me the information I need and easy to use to manage all my properties.

Pros:

AppFolio allows me to access my tenants and their information with a click of a button. It keeps all data about my tenant at my fingertips and also allows them to know what is going on with their lease, rent amounts, work orders, and other tasks they or I need to complete to keep our relationship working the best.

Cons:

I wish that the tenant's application would stay with the tenant as the entire process progresses. When a person no longer is an applicant, but becomes a tenant and moves in, that application is stored elsewhere in the system. It would be more helpful to have the application stay with that new move-in. The application is always needed for legal issues. The system makes it easy to find but it seems it would be better served to stay within the entire process of the new move-in.

Rodney
Estate agent in South Africa

User Friendly

5.0 last week New

Comments: A world-class customer service with extremely quick response times. Implementing the software was as easy as it could have been. While it does take time and effort, the transition is certainly worth it for such a streamlined software solution.

Pros:

I love the constant addition of new features. The ability for owners and tenants to have their own portals is fantastic. Tenants can pay online and set up recurring payments, which enhances convenience and efficiency for everyone involved.

Cons:

While I appreciate the continuous addition of new features and the convenience of automated processes, the lack of quick human response can be frustrating. Additionally, the vacancy advertising link is also quite frustrating to use.

heather
assistant in US

not that great

3.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: not so great, definately recommend entrata

Pros:

not so many pros as there are cons.......

Cons:

not many beneficial parts to it to help run a business

Kashee
Manager in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Great and still learning!

Comments: With anything new, it takes time to learn it. There are many great options inside of Appfolio that makes it the software to use. Appfolio is always trying to improve and do more to make work easier.

Pros:

Love having one platform for all things property management! Owners, tenants and vendors all using the same software!

Cons:

I don't particularly care for the chat option of customer service. It is not as personal.

Alla
Director in Saudi Arabia
Financial Services, 2–10 Employees

AppFolio Property Menager life changing

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Overall, my experience with AppFolio Property Manager has been largely positive. The software has proven to be a valuable asset in streamlining my property management processes and improving overall efficiency

Pros:

User-Friendly Interface,Comprehensive Property Management Tools: AppFolio offers a wide range of tools and functionalities that cover every aspect of property management

Cons:

while AppFolio Property Manager offers many benefits and features, it's essential for potential users to consider these drawbacks and evaluate whether they align with their specific needs and preferences

Amber
Leasing Manager in US

Gets the Job completed

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Overall the system is user friendly and has good tutorial videos.

Cons:

Online portal options not available to choose authentication.

Kevin
Operations in US
Accounting, 11–50 Employees

AppFolio Property Manager Review

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

AppFolio has a user friendly dashboard that allows users to complete tasks such as making payments or uploading documents very easily.

Cons:

I have experienced system glitches where certain information may be difficult to bypass through unnecessary steps. I would appreciate if certain bugs can become fixed where the system doesn't repeatedly ask for information.

Real Estate, Self Employed

Great All Encompassing Option for Property Managers and Landlords

4.0 last month New

Pros:

It's truly a great tool for property managers and landlords to stay on the same page and for landlords to stay in control of their properties. It works seamlessly for all three parties - tenants, property managers, and landlords.

Cons:

If a landlord wants to share information from AppFolio Property Manager with others, like in the case that the landlord wants to sell the property and use a real estate agent who is not their property manager, the landlord, as a non-administrator has a hard time doing so.

Barb
production manager in US
Plastics, 11–50 Employees

Pain for our clients

4.0 last month New

Pros:

This was a pain as the clients couldn't use it correctly

Cons:

Accepting payments as they never could figure out the auto pay and also even making a payment was hard

Mary
Admin. Assistant in US

Best Software EVER!

Comments: From the beginning it was easy to migrate our data, and we never looked back. It is so awesome for our boss to be out in the field, call us to ask a question - then say never mind "It is all right here on AppFolio" on his phone or tablet. Easy to find just what you are looking for and the Support/Help system is the best I have ever experienced in a software. On line CHAT is a lifesaver.

Pros:

User friendly & intuitive. The app and online log in for tenants and owners is a game changer. The vendors and work order flow is excellent. Accounting is similar to quickbooks, everyone get it. Unlimited support (for FREE - who offers that?), an excellent online help "System" There are videos, online articles, training you attend live online and/or watch at any time on specific topics. There is a user community for help too. What other software allows you to "Vote" on things you want your software to do - and the programmers work on the request with the most votes. Amazing!! Thank you AppFolio

Cons:

That I had to suffer through YARDI for so long before I found AppFolio and we switched.

Cassandra
Principal in US

Good choice

Comments: I'm quite happy, overall. Integrations is my biggest challenge and what would drive me to leave, if I were to predict a reason. I'm having no issue working around it, but I'm about creating efficiencies which I feel like I am restricted from doing. So far it's been something I'm willing to work around since we're small and they have so many other great things about them.

Pros:

We were on a somewhat antiquated system, so improvement was easy to recognize. AppFolio does a lot of things well. It improved connection with residents AND our ability to have better records both for tenants and for staff (liability support/reduction), and much easier for staff to know what is happening across the board with any one resident or prospect. We are still learning! The transition was fast and friendly. Loved their tenant liability option.

Cons:

1) OnBoarding was very tech-oriented and a challenge to adapt easily because staff is working on a calendar. I have some a-ha moments that i just couldn't get the OnBoarding team to understand (even though they were very capable folks) because in this tech world, it's either a or b, there is no c option. Well, later I'm finding the c option IS available. 2) They make frequent updates, and communicate them well. The challenge is working them into your schedule to understand so you can stay on top of them because your team will do the same---someone needs to know them. 3) Other updates seem to be in holding status for way too long, when they'd help users so much. 4) Our biggest complaint is AppFolio's unwillingness to work with other software integrations. They really cripple my ability by being so protective of.....whatever it is. Most other softwares integrate fine. They do so much so well, I feel like it's time to stop being so proprietary. That would change any element of dissatisfaction that I encounter. It appears so flexible, but it's not. The larger companies don't all want their screening or leases....so I still am running other programs which is a pain. Their system doesn't work for me (having a one stop shop for 'everyone' isn't realistic) in all areas as it seemed to in the beginning. So modify your expectations. I would have still purchased, but been happier with where i landed.

Marianne
Customer Service in US

Streamlined Accounting

Comments: Appfolio has streamlined Accounts Receivable. The lookup function is great, the ability to text is fantastic. Communicating with tenants is much easier.

Pros:

Flexibility and ease of use. It allows you to delete transactions and edit them. Great training videos and articles. Enhancements and updates are made regularly.

Cons:

Inability to assign due dates on manual invoices and an easier override of monthly late charges, making the latter process quite laborious. My only other criticism is applying credits in the diagnostics panel. It should populate the fields and then let you edit. Instead you have to enter everything line by line.

Kate
Accounting Manager in US
Commercial Real Estate, 11–50 Employees

Inadequate Commercial Real Estate Software

Comments: Absolutely horrible. Using Appfolio has done nothing but make my job harder. The priority with Appfolio is clearly residential property management. I am involved in every function of Appfolio every single day & cannot stand it. Getting AF involved in things, such as user setting changes & cash account transfers should be an option, NOT a requirement.

Pros:

The system-wide search feature, ability to change dates & descriptions of items most of the time & expiration date on recurring JEs. So far, customer support has been great for me - very friendly & helpful.

Cons:

-Reporting is awful. Columns can be added but report pdf process does not auto-adjust size to page, which means converting to Excel to adjust. There are reports that do not have totals so have to convert those, too.-The financial reports were inadequate, so had to "upgrade" Excel to use Connect Tool just to make the reports look like the ones in the old software.-Rent Roll does not show correct occupancy rate (based upon SF not units, obviously).-Tenants cannot choose what to pay via online portal which causes time-consuming reapps.-The Smart Scan feature disregards recurring invoices, which are at least 60% of invoices paid.-Credits are auto-applied so have to unapply those to provide tenants a stmt that shows the credit, which should be a setting option NOT default.-Modified Cash Basis is not an acctg method choice. -We were not allowed to choose how to set-up cash accounts & must have AF's assistance when transferring banks.-Basic fields are not programmed into the tenant's page. There should be a lease abstract form for comm tenants. We should have option to choose what type of tenant to pull up apropos fields (res, comm, ind, etc.) &/or choose fields to add to the tenant's page.-Items rvsd from tenant's account disappear. We should have option to show rvsd items, as with the GL. Instead, items have to be manually credited & limited to one credit per g/l code per date. So much time wasted w/all the credits required for hurricane dest, esp since AF auto-applies credits.

Allison
CEO in US

Promising Software / Horrible customer service

Comments: I could have had a great customer experience with appfolio, if they had better trained staff to answer your questions in a timely manner

Pros:

I like the customization of this software. It is ideal if you manage a variety of portfolios. The dashboard and tasks menu are placed well and easy to navigate. The software uses a tab feature that allows to easily work with different tasks at a time. Excellent reporting features. Great mobile app

Cons:

HORRIBLE customer service. The software is extremely robust, which will normally be a good thing. However, with that comes a lot of questions. Unfortunately only 1 out of 5 agents can help you. Most issues will have to be advanced to a senior agent . Once that happens you will have to EMAIL what your issue is or wait anywhere from 3-7 days for a scheduled phone call. So if your issue is time sensitive you are simply out of luck. I am seasoned property management professional, and I have worked with many softwares. Appfolio, by far is one of the most difficult I have worked with. There is countless steps to complete everything. Of course that allows for a lot of customization, but understand it takes a long time to learn it. Additionally there are promised features that don't work well. For example text messaging. You can text within the software, but there is no push notification. So if you are not inside the software or checking you email constantly, you won't know someone sent a text. So Pointless!!!. That is just one of many. There is reason there is no free trial and they bound you to a one year contract.

3 years ago

Hi Allison, thank you for reaching out to us with your feedback. We do have a guaranteed response rate of 24-48 hours but many issues to require us to follow-up with more information is it is a more complicated accounting question. We do have a robust Help & Training center if you need assistance with accounting. We hope we can improve your experience moving forward!

Jessica
Property Management Director in US
Commercial Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Using AppFolio for property management

Comments: I have been very pleased with AppFolio. For several years we have used it as its minimum abilities but more recently discovered it has many other features that make managing properties easier and more efficient. The online training articles are very helpful and most of the time answer all of our questions.

Pros:

The software was easy to use. I started using it without any training but because I was familiar with several pother software programs was able to navigate through pretty easily. It's intuitive and user friendly. The self help articles are also very handy and most of the time answer my questions.

Cons:

There is a minimum number of units we had to maintain in oder to begin using AppFolio. And a minimum monthly amount to spend. For serval years we had to pay for more than we needed to meet this minimum amount monthly. Because we bill our properties back per unit, our company had to incur the additional expense until we were large enough.

Herb
President in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

AppFolio is terrific and continues to get better

Comments: Overall, providing the initial data from our old system for the setup was easy, of course you need to provide accurate data. Everything went well and whether i provided PDF's or Excel files, the only real errors were made on data we provided. It was easy enough to correct. We are thrilled with AppFolio since making the switch in November 2018.

Pros:

Easy to use web based software, includes apps for management and homeowner/tenant. AppFolio continues to make improvements and they appear, never an update on our end needed, love that since it is web based. Set up a vendor once to use across all condominium associations the vendor provides services for, good work order system and improvements made based on user feedback.

Cons:

I would like the ability to modify the user level access myself, but that isn't a real problem, just a nicety. There needs to be the ability to create folders or directories to upload the condominium documents so they can be categorized, otherwise an owner needs to look through a significant amount of files. I understand that is in the works though.

Morgan
Area Manager in US

AppFolio is good, but still some features that I WOULD LOVE

Comments: Since we have upgraded to AF plus and a dedicated rep I think that we have been able to use AppFolio more for what we want vs, what the greater good does.

Pros:

I love how easy it is to use. I like customizing our own reports and how easy it is. It's exciting when "what's new" comes out and figuring out how we can us it!

Cons:

What I find as a pro is also a con. It is customizable, but the reporting we have to do more "workarounds" to get our desired info and often these workarounds are not 100% accurate. Such as commission tracking, rental reporting for team members, renewals and screening process is basic. I think that appfolio is close but I think they could up the game with more functional guest cards and follow-ups where we take control and customize.

Valerie
Director of Property Management in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Great Software, needs timely customer care for established customers

Comments: Overall, I love the product and when I can get the assistance I need I am very happy. We aren't a huge company but we manage close to 300 doors, so we are respectable. We were the first users in our area and told everyone to switch to them. I still think they are better than any other PM software provider we have used and we have used several. My only complaint is the inability to get timely customer care responses. Honestly, service after the sale is VERY important!

Pros:

Overall ease of use. Accounting based, online rent payments, and ability to connect all areas of property management together.

Cons:

When we first started with Appfolio they were very quick to respond to our customer service needs. Now, all you get is an email that directs you to watch videos or to online chat. When you have already exhausted those options and you need to speak to ANYONE, it is impossible! I have waited over a month for someone to call me back. By the time they call I have forgotten what I needed, or the details of the transaction I needed help with. They need to hire more customer service reps. When they do call you they are very friendly and knowledgeable, but they usually give you a few minutes and if you need help with someone else while you have them on the phone they tell you to make another request. Then, it's back to the WAIT game.

Dean
Manager in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Top 5 Things Tenants Don't Want You to Know About Using Appfolio and Why It Costs You.

Comments: I wouldn't manage property without it.

Pros:

1. When Money is collected electronically you never have to think about who's paid and who hasn't. - Even with a handful of units, it's time consuming to collect checks and deposit them on a regular basis. This causes sloppy book keeping and helps tenants get away with not paying timely. 2. When a computer keeps track of payments late fees are always charged. - late fees get charged automatically. This trains tenants to pay automatically. No more not paying late fees. " It's already charged and it's part of your lease ". 3. When communicating with tenants electronically, there's a record of the conversation. - " I didn't say it was my fault ". This is no longer an argument. Every text, email, and even notes from phone conversations are stored in the tenant profile. 4.Utility billing can become a profit center instead of a nightmare. - When incorporating RUBS or just paying for the water bill, when done with the correct process, unpaid utilities can legally incur late fees which makes tenants pay them instead of sticking the owner with them at the end of the lease. 5. It's much easier to protect a property through liability insurance. - By using the automatic liability insurance module, there is much less of a chance in lapsing renters insurance and the property has a better chance of recuperating losses due to " I fell asleep while the stove was on ". Yes, this has actually happened.

Cons:

Appfolio is not something you plug into your current systems. To do it correctly and efficiently you'll need to rework your processes around it. This can be good or bad. Depending on if you like creating systems. When you're done, you'll have an employee that never sleeps and takes care of a ton of your management tasks.

5 years ago

Hi Dean, thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. It's great to hear that AppFolio is integral to running your property management business. We appreciate your partnership!

Nick

No Customer Service

Comments: We have been with Appfolio for about a year now. The platform and technology is decent, however the customer service is HORRIBLE. I cannot emphasize enough how much they have let us down when we needed them. For instance (this is just the latest example but there are more), I have been trying to resolve a VERY serious and VERY time sensitive problem for over a month. The problem is that our vacancies are not posting to advertising sites properly...very important stuff. Our leasing season right now feels like we are fighting with both hands tied behind our backs because our listings are not being advertised on the partner sites! I asked them to look into this at the end of March by reaching out to them via their chat feature. I was told that they would look into and get back to me. I got no response and after two weeks I asked for a call with someone so they could see the problem with me on the phone. I spent 20 minutes on a call with [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], who seemed to understand the problem at the time. I gave [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] the benefit of the doubt and waited for her to let me know what was being done. I waited for almost a week and after hearing nothing (again time sensitive problem), I sent her a follow up email. Her reply was that they had contacted Apartments.com about why the ad was not working. Side note, when we spoke we determined that the apartments.com feed was not working because they were switching to a paid model...so there was no reason for anyone to contact them. It is every othe

Pros:

The product is good. The tech is good and many of the features are helpful.

Cons:

The service from the company. The sites that are most popular (Zillow and Apartments.com) are switching to paid models so all of the advertising services benefits are now gone. They should have negotiated with those 2 companies and then charged us slightly more per month.

4 years ago

i Nick, thank you for reaching out to us with your feedback. During the time we were corresponding with you, we were also corresponding with several of the listing sites that you had cited were not displaying correctly and were at the mercy of the listing sites being able to correct any errors. We did escalate them immediately and we're glad we were able to help correct them with each individual site. We apologize if this took longer than expected. Thank you!

Susan
Apartment Operations Manager in US

Comprehensive Solution to Rental Property Management

Comments: We use Appfolio to manage our multi-family rentals and our commercial rentals all in one robust property management platform. We enjoy the multitude of automated functions that promote a streamlined workflow from maintenance to management and the ease of collaboration this suite provides. The real-time activity tracking provides excellent audit control, and the products intuitive design combined with content rich training materials make this one of the easiest programs to learn and use. The search feature is hands down the greatest resource for saving time when you need help with any feature.

Pros:

That the software is intuitive, user friendly and the support and training are outstanding. I am truly impressed with ongoing emphasis to improve the software based on customer input and trends in the industry. The company's farsighted mentality gives us comfort this solution will continue to serve us well in the years to come, and the solid reputation and business model provides a sense of security only previously matched by one other software product, and AppFolio has grow to become an industry standard.

Cons:

That the Guest Card widget cannot operate independent of the listing. We do not always have a listing, then we are forced to manually record guest cards. If there was a widget just for the Guest Card then we could embed this as a link on our website and prospects can feed data directly into a guest card which we can then utilize the tools such as waitlist or sending a application, etc. Some of the seemingly simplest and easiest product suggestions seem never to gain any traction with the programmers. Like asking to add make and model to the fixed asset report filters.

Derek

Modern Software for a Modern World

Comments: I love AppFolio. It really does make our jobs 10x easier. Property management is not glamourous and it is not easy, AF helps us make it just a little bit easier and glamourous. AF is a great platform that we enjoy using on a daily basis.

Pros:

AppFolio fits in great with our culture and our business. It evolves as we do and caters to our needs. The "What's New" features are something that is looked forward to whenever they roll out. The ease of use is great and makes it very easy to onboard new employees and cross-train existing staff.

Cons:

The #1 feature that would benefit our company would be a more streamlined and customizable API so that we could connect with other tools that we use. I think some of the APM Plus features should be included with the non-Plus version, or give us mid-sized businesses some a la carte options. THE WORKFLOWS! I love these workflows but they are too complicated for the lamen. I am fairly tech-savvy and it's too much for us. We've partnered with another outside company to create many workflows and automation using Monday.com and we would LOVE these to be inside AF.

Arell
General Manager in US

Dunes of Naples

Comments: we have invested over a year of our time and really need to have some one work with us on the set up.
I have offered to pay for some one to fly out to us and provide housing to spend a few days with us.
If that cant happen please assign someone to my account for just for a week so that we can move forward.

Pros:

We thought it was user friendly, we liked the app, and through the demo process (8-10 sessions) along with we sent an organizational structure, a list of requirements and priorities. Those sessions led us to believe your software would fit our needs. We were told you were making investments at the organizational level and executive and development levels specifically with the Association product. We are committed to you but need you to be committed to us and provide some extensive help.

Cons:

Many, Many, Many. Would value a productive meeting to lay out what we are missing on our end. We are a Condo Association which consist of 634 units and & high rises. I believe many of our issues are easily fixed but have not had any luck with most of them. Example: In roles under maintenance tech we need the tech to be able to take assign a work order to a vendor and have the ability to view architectural reviews. We elevated the techs to maintenance cords which allows them to now close a work order and bill which we do not want them to have that ability. Per your team they can not hide that option. The Association Profile is complicated because it is obvousily designed for apartment rentals and not Association. I believe the bones of the software are good and the Association piece can be developed but we were led to believe the software was further along on the Association profile.

You're getting too big

Pros:

The product itself is great and very intuitive. The mobile app is very helpful for the entire staff.

Cons:

Support is really lacking. I would like to just call and get support, rather than submitting a request and waiting for an answer. I've submitted a request once and was told that what I was requesting was not supported and that I should make a suggestion. I feel that I'm already communicating with Appfolio, why do I have to re-communicate to Appfolio? The support person should have said that the feature I was looking for will be passed on to the appropriate department. I get the impression that the suggestion board is mainly a feel good function and not something that Appfolio takes seriously. I base this on the fact that there are suggestions that have several votes, have been on the board for several months and not getting a response. As an example there is as suggestion for lease expiration notice which has 1,231 votes and was suggested May 2015. It was not responded to until February 2016 and we still don't have this function. What's really funny about this particular function is that before I went to Appfolio 5 years ago I had this function on my website that I designed and had developed. This is just proof that Appfolio doesn't listen to it's clients

6 years ago

Hi David, we appreciate you taking the time to provide this review. The nature of our software and support often requires us to look into complex accounting issues that our Customer Success Team researches in order to provide an informed response to meet your unique business needs. Thank you also for providing feedback directly to our Product Team for enhancements you would like to see. The reason we ask clients to submit feedback directly to our Product Suggestion channel is so Product can hear exactly what you are looking for with nothing lost in translation. The format also allows for us to aggregate requests so we can see what is the most highly suggested and follow up with clients to learn more. Thank you for participating and submitting your feedback to our Product Suggestion Board, as this is the most direct way for us to hear your feedback. In regards to the specific suggestion you have detailed, I have reached out to a Sr. Product Manager to provide more insight and you should be hearing from us soon. We hope to improve your experience going forward!