15 years helping British businesses

About Surpass

Smoothly automate day-to-day functions from anywhere, anytime with Surpass Cloud.

Learn more about Surpass

Pros:

I appreciate the customer service and tech support.

Cons:

Very disappointing and looking to change programs.

Surpass ratings

4.6
4.9
4.7
4.8

9.4/10

Surpass has an overall rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars based on 107 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Surpass before?

Church Library Volunteer in US

Not Too Old to Learn

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

It appears to be very easy to use. As soon as we received our login information we started work inputting our books into the system.

Cons:

I haven't come across anything I don't like so far!

2 weeks ago

Thanks for the review, David, and welcome to the Surpass family! We're happy that you're finding Surpass easy to use. I think you'll be happy when you discover that we're just as quick to respond after the sale as we were before!

Angie
Media Specialist in US
Primary/Secondary Education, 51–200 Employees

Surpass service is very good!

Comments: So far since we have gone to the cloud based version, they are improving performance when we ask for changes. Most requests are met in a fairly short period of time. Tech support is very helpful.

Pros:

Lots of reports available for circulation, materials and patrons available. Like the option of being able to create customized reports

Cons:

Wish we could print patron info and resource lists like the previous version. Being able to make changes across multiple resources at one time would be more helpful. The cloud based version runs slowly a lot of the time. Reaction time when scanning in many items can be slow. We have to be very careful checking in multiple items because it takes a little while for each one to show up on the log.

2 years ago

Thanks for your review, Angie! We're happy that you're happy with Surpass -- especially with service and support. Surpass Cloud is always evolving and improving thanks to the feedback and ideas from the folks who use it every day. Please don't be shy about letting us know your ideas or where you find shortcomings. We have addressed some performance issues recently, so you should see faster responses.

Jill
Teacher Librarian in US
Libraries, 201–500 Employees

Proceed with Caution

Pros:

I like the bright colors on the catalog. I also like that you can catalog books by just typing in the title and author.

Cons:

The follow-up by the Help Desk is pretty much non-existent. The chat feature does not work so if you put in a ticket, you have to log in again to see if your question has been answered. I was hoping it would send me an email. It is also very slow when checking in books.

2 years ago

Hi Jill. Our support is one of the things people like best about Surpass, so I'm disappointed and concerned that we didn't live up to your or our own expectations. We would like to find out why chat wasn't working for you and why you didn't receive email updates on your support ticket. Perhaps we don't have your correct email address or our email went to your spam folder. Please reach out to us. We want to make sure you have a great experience with Surpass.

Edward
Board of Directors in US
Civic & Social Organization, 501–1,000 Employees

AFGS chooses Surpass

Comments: Surpass worked with us for over 4 months while we organized our library holdings we have accumulated over 40 years. They answered numerous questions and when we were ready they uploaded over 17000 items into our new catalog. After the initial upload they helped make changes to our setup so we and especially our patrons would gain mazximum benefit. Their help was always timely and with the utmost professionalism.

Pros:

The ability to organize our holdings into different categories of our own choosing. As a research organization is is important that our patrons can narrow their search for a specific book or record and surpass does a wonderful job in meeting this goal.

Cons:

I initially wanted to be able to search and see several items on the screen at one time. The Large, Medium and Small icon capability for the patrons choosing was not what we wanted but Surpass found a way to set the "samll" icon as a default. We also want to see the items summary along with the title and author when scrolling through a list of books or microfilms. We are not sure this can be accomplished at this time.

2 months ago

Hi Edward, Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences with Surpass. We greatly appreciate your honest feedback! I'm glad to hear that you were happy with the onboarding process and that our team has been able to successfully aid you in getting started. Viewing the summary with the title and author can be done at this time if the list is in standard list size (as opposed to compact). We will explore the idea of adding that summary option to the compact list as well though! Excited to continue working with you!

Elizabeth
Church librarian in US

Small libraries beware

Comments: Being able to inventory quickly and easily is important for volunteers. Having an attractive and easy to use online catalog is also very important. Surpass allows this at an attractive price, unless you have over 10,000 items. Then you are stuck, unable to add more or export to another system.

Pros:

The OPAC interface is attractive. I especially like the ability to add an image of a book cover so easily. Being able to email over dues is very nice.

Cons:

I like least the capping at 10,000 items when it was unlimited before. This is a real hardship for small church libraries that spent so much time and effort at comprehensive cataloging and now are told they can not export their own records! The next tier allows export and a huge increase of capacity, but the price is too high for most small churches to pay. The donor report function was removed with this version, and has been promised to be returned, but I have been waiting at least a year already. Copycat allowed more varied choices when cataloging, although this new version is probably easier for a non-librarian to catalog. I have so many rare and uncommon items that I end up doing the complete cataloging myself.

3 years ago

Hi Elizabeth! Thank you for your review. I'm delighted that you're enjoying using Surpass Cloud and from the comments you have left for us in your service surveys, I can see that you also find our support excellent. I'm very happy to hear that! Your circumstances in migrating from Surpass CL for Windows to Surpass Cloud Congregational is a bit unusual in that your library has such a large collection and is near the limits of the lower-cost Congregational plan. Surpass Cloud Congregational is our entry level plan, designed and priced to meet the needs of most congregational libraries. I can understand how you were disappointed that you needed to upgrade to a full-featured Surpass Cloud plan to accommodate expansion of your collection, but I hope you will enjoy the other added features and benefits. Thank you again, Danny Humphress President

Jean
Princeton Windrows resident librarian in US
Information Services, 51–200 Employees

Surpass was our choice for our community

Comments: We chose Surpass to automate our community library and are working with a volunteer committee. The support staff has been a consistent valuable help in getting us set up.

Pros:

we like the ability to customize the various modules for our community.

Cons:

the depth of the software requires time to learn the many features. This is also an asset but takes time for a volunteer organization to master the software.

3 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. It makes us happy that you're happy!

Peter
Libraries, 11–50 Employees

The Perfect System for a Smaller, Special Library

Comments: It has been a great experience. Surpass is able to meet our needs and they are open to suggestions for new ideas.

Pros:

It is extremely customizable, user friendly, and has great support from Surpass staff.

Cons:

My experience with Surpass has all been positive.

last year

We're honored that you chose Surpass from the many other options you had and delighted that your experience has been positive! Thank you!

Kristina
Reading Intervention Teacher in US
Libraries, 51–200 Employees

Surpass Library

Pros:

We recently upgraded to the Surpass cloud version and have been very happy with the ease of use and the customer service is excellent.

Cons:

I feel there could be more options to delete patrons in bulk.

5 months ago

Thank you, Kristina! We're so happy that you're continuing to put your confidence in us by migrating from Surpass for Windows to Surpass Cloud, that you're finding it easy to use, and that our customer service continues to be excellent! Please be sure to let us know about your ideas and wishes for new features such as bulk deleting patrons. For nearly 40 years, Surpass has grown and thrived based on listening to and implementing the ideas of the folks who use it everyday.

Ana
Learning Community Coordinator in US
Primary/Secondary Education, 11–50 Employees

Creation Village World School

Comments: Training was easy conducted by a knowledgeable team. In addition, support there are lots of resources on YouTube with step-by-step short tutorials. Very helpful. Technicians are available online and you have a response in matter of minutes. They make it easy for you.
I highly recommend Surpass Software!

Pros:

Surpass program itself is very good, modern, complex and easy to use. Covers all areas of a school library, easy to access, to use and self-explanatory. Truely I cannot say enough good things about Surpass program. Also Surpass software comes with a price tag that small private schools can afford.

Cons:

I really cannot think of anything negative about it.

4 months ago

Hi Ana, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We're happy to hear that your start-up process went smoothly and that you found our tutorials helpful! We're continually striving to make this process as easy as possible, so we are thrilled to hear about your experience!

Linda
Volunteer Librarian in US

Surpass Support Staff

Comments: When you are a 'one person shop' it is good to know that you have the support staff to do just that - support you. In my first library life, I mostly did legal research. So the world of cataloging was overwhelming to start. But the support group always knows how to help migrate to the Cloud, resize labels, put the OPAC on our website, change default settings and fix glitches in copy cataloging. No question has ever been too small.

Pros:

I have especially enjoyed creating nested Explore buttons for our unique online catalog.

Cons:

Sometimes the online instructions for working in the Cloud can be a bit confusing, but the support staff is always there to walk you through them.

4 months ago

Hi Linda, Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review! We're so glad to hear that you have enjoyed working with our support team and that you are comfortable coming to us with your questions. You're absolutely correct... no question is too small! If there are any sections of the Cloud instructions that you think need clarification, please don't hesitate to let us know. We're always happy to refine our documentation as needed and would be grateful for your input.

Rachelle
Libraries, 51–200 Employees

Surpass has amazing support

Comments: Overall, I am very happy with Surpass. It's flexible and allows our school to enter the data into the system the way that works best for us.

Pros:

The Surpass system is super easy to work with and learn. I'm not savvy with computers but the Surpass system is easy to navigate. Whenever I do need a helping hand, the support team is available to help. No waiting around for a call back or being put on hold. And the support team is super kind and easy to talk to. They understand what I am trying to ask, sometimes even when I don't. If there is a feature that would be nice to have, they are always making changes to fit the needs of the users. They truly do listen.

Cons:

The hardest part to Surpass for me, is updating all the new students at the beginning of the school year. I wish it were easier. But the support team is always there to help me figure out any mistakes I've made and get it my information merged into the system.

last year

Thanks for your review! We're so happy that you're happy! :-) We have some new features for connecting Surpass Cloud to your school's student management system, making manual updating of adding new student records and updating existing records easy and automatic? Get in touch with us and we'll tell you all about it.

Alicia
Education Management, 11–50 Employees

Surpass Software for Library use

Pros:

I enjoy surpass because it is user friendly. The product seems to be well thought out, and is simple to use. Because of this, my first year being a librarian was an easy transition. My absolute favorite part is customer service. They are always friendly, helpful and available.

Cons:

I wish that my small school could afford the cloud option with the newest features. Run a special so we can get on board with the times!

5 months ago

Thank you, Alicia! We're so happy that your "absolute favorite part is customer service." That's been our primary focus over the nearly 40 years that we've been doing this.

Correy
Knowledge Manager in South Africa
Utilities, 51–200 Employees

A robust, independent product that creates confidence due to its simplicity of operation.

Comments: Freeing up staff time for professional work, rather than being stuck doing repetive, clerical work. The speed with which the annual stock take happens now that we have a mobile barcode reader, and the resultant report from Surpass are just two of an endless list of benefits.

Pros:

The logical grouping of features, the awesome customisation allowed in writing your own reports. The adherence to international standards (MARC, etc) made it super ease to integrate with my country's Bibliographic authority. The reassurance that when you power it up, it does not only appear on your screen, but it is working!!

Cons:

The manipulation of fonts in reports is somewhat limiting when designing complex, comprehensive reports.

Kathy
IT Support Specialist in US
Education Management, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Surpass software is a fully functioning software and the support is phenomenal.

Comments: Organization and connections. Ease of use

Pros:

Access to all that is needed for the many needs in the library. I love that it has access to Marc records for the bigger libraries. I do not use this software first hand as I am the IT that installs and keeps it up to date but I do feel that it has many options for staff and students.

Cons:

The need for support to work through problems. However the support is amazing so this really isn't a problem.

Tami
Volunteer Librarian in US
Religious Institutions, 11–50 Employees

Excellent Online Library Catalog

Pros:

Having this online catalog available has been great! The software works great and Surpass is excellent at customer service! Everytime I have an issue, they are helpful and responsive and resolve it. Our patrons love it and find it very user friendly! We're so happy with the decision to go with the Cloud version of Surpass software for our church library!

Cons:

Because it's new, there have been a few bugs, but each time they are resolved quickly!

3 years ago

We're glad you're enjoy Surpass Cloud! We love what you've done with customizing your library's OPAC.

Misti
Media Specialist in US
Education Management, 51–200 Employees

Surpass support is awesome!

Comments: Surpass has the best customer service and support! When I have a question about the Surpass Central product, they provide a variety of ways that I can contact them to reach out for help. The customer representatives are knowledgeable and thorough! They are fast to respond and follow-up to make sure that your product needs are met!

Pros:

The software is user-friendly. Surpass makes it easy for a volunteer to step in and help on the spur of the moment!

Susan
assistant librarian in US

I do not handle the financial information for our software.

Pros:

Ease of use with regard to all of the materials and patron areas. Several different ways to verify information and records.

Cons:

Some of setup settings, but those have been discussed with software company for ways to make it more manageable for end users.

Kendra
Libraries, 201–500 Employees

KHMS-Librarian

Comments: Very satisfied.

Pros:

When submitting the problem, very helpful support.

Cons:

Sometimes it is slow, but that can happen with any software.

2 years ago

Thank you Kendra! We take great pride in providing fast and friendly support.

lucy
librarian in US
Government Administration, 11–50 Employees

Small government library

Comments: We've used Surpass software products in our small government library for over 15 years and have been very satisfied with its tools, customer support, functionality and ease of use.

Pros:

We like this product because it's inexpensive, easy to use, and can be installed on a secured shared local server.

Cons:

I have no complaints about any aspects of the software.

3 years ago

Fifteen years! Thanks for being such a loyal Surpass user and thanks for your kind words.

Charlotte
Religious Institutions, 11–50 Employees

Great service for their product.

Pros:

The support is fantastic. We just upgraded to the Cloud version and of course have many questions. If I contact by phone, text, or email they are always helpful.

Cons:

The learning curve is a little difficult, but their support team is always available. So I don't consider that is a downside.

2 years ago

Thanks for your review, Charlotte! We think our support team is fantastic, too!

Luke
IT Director in US
Primary/Secondary Education, 11–50 Employees

Up to par software, great customer service

Comments: We've used Surpass for a few years now. The features and stability of the product are good, but the customer service and support enabled us to learn and know how to stay on top of our library.

Pros:

ease of use, ease of installation

Cons:

It's not entirely running through a web browser. It can be slow at times.

Laura
Media Specialist
Used the Software for: Not provided

Absolutely Excellent!

Comments: Absolutely Excellent!

Pros:

I cannot say enough good things about this product. Ease of use - I taught my granddaughter to check books in and out when she was in kindergarten. I routinely have high school aides who use the system with ease after only one short lesson. Customer service - wonderful wonderful. In over 15 years of use, they have never let me down. They speak English (not computer) and can easily explain how to solve your particular problem. They always get back in touch with you - usually in a matter of minutes but never more than a few hours. Every feature we have asked for has been added and the price so far has basically remained the same. Absolutely wonderful product - would recommend this product to ANYONE.

Cons:

If the rest of my life worked this well, I'd be one happy camper.

mohammed
mangar in Saudi Arabia
Accounting, 11–50 Employees

I interested

Comments: They are mostly good, very good, and it is important to deal with them

Pros:

The best team, platform and collaborative benefits for the community

Cons:

It is mostly good and needs more development in the tests

12 months ago

Thanks for your review, Mohammed! We also think we have the best team! 🙂

Judy
Media Specialist
Used the Software for: Not provided

Surpass software

Comments: I have used Surpass since the early 90s and have always been pleased with my choice. They have continued to respond to librarians' requests and needs by modifying and adding features to their software. They have excellent technical support also - techs are knowledgeable and patient, too. When I came to this system, they were using it and I was able to step right in and use it.

Pros:

Excellent cataloging features, especially being able to use Copycat to add new titles. Versatile report formats to evaluate collection and circulation. Frequent upgrades which improve the card catalog, inventory and circulation features.

Cons:

Do not have problems that company can't resolve.

April
Sr. Minister in US
, 2–10 Employees

Great Support and a Solid Performing Product for Church Libraries

Comments: My church has had Surpass CL for at least five years, and I love it. My first career was librarianship, so when I chose Surpass, I did my research, and I have not been disappointed!

Pros:

Surpass CL is easy to use, even for those without prior experience.

Cons:

Some screens could be enhanced with more on-screen tips.