Edge Review

Reviewed on 15/07/2019
Cory H.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We use the EDGE as our primary estimating tool for typical Re-Roofs, New Construction Roofs, as well as wall panels. We began using the edge years ago using the digitizing boards to now using Version 12 with the cloud based system and image manager. There have been several changes within the last 10 yrs and I am pleased to say your help and customer support has been great. I am looking forward to integrating our company into the newest Version 12.

Pros: The software makes bidding and adjusting new/existing projects easy and consistent. Setting up the software to our company's specific job codes is also crucial for our estimating and cost tracking process.

Cons: on the current Version 12 I am having difficulties adding images to an existing condition/bid. The ease of use seems harder than the pervious Version 10. I would like to alter our overhead costs by entering a numerical number in lieu of consistently adjusting the percentages to match the overhead I want on a given project.

by Estimating Edge on 29/07/2019

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. Estimating Edge has a knowledgebase which can help you answer these questions. https://www.estimatingedge.com/knowledgebase/add-an-image-to-an-existing-job-v12/ will help you add an image to an existing bid. We appreciate your feedback and welcome product feature and functionality requests at http://bit.ly/2LVCjZa

The Edge Software = More time and more money

Reviewed on 07/04/2017
Carl M.
Estimator/Project Manager
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I've been using the Edge Estimating Software program since 2005 and have been happier as a commercial roofing and waterproofing estimator ever since. The ease of use ing the Edge estimating software program is very easy to use - a 10 as a perfect score; however, you do need to go to Florida for a week of training, which I highly recommend so you can learn all the features and how to use them correctly. The features and functionality of their estimating software program allow you to bid much quicker and efficiently - a score of 10. What used to take me 10 hours to perform a complete take-off, with labor and material totals, now only takes 30 to 45 minutes. This allows me more time to bid more projects and help make the company more money in the process. The value of the estimating system pays off for itself with the first job you sell! Plus, knowing the Edge system has all the templates for almost any type of commercial roofing system and manufacturer helps to make sure there are no mistakes and nothing is left out on your bid. The days of having to look at 36" x 42" blue lines is over. You simply download a pdf on your screen, set the scale correctly, and you are ready to perform your entire take-off. I use the Edge reports to give our foreman and superintendent the labor and material take-off's which shows them if they are going over the budget and helps them to get back on track if necessary. I sometimes make colored prints of the roof plan showing the complete take-off with the associated legend to help the client better understand what is involved in their re-roof project or new roof project. I can continue to go and on about the benefits of using the Edge system, but just know that the value of the Edge will give you peace of mind and help save the company thousands of dollars in preventing material shortages, due to estimator errors(the old fashion way) as well as how much labor dollars you will spend in manhours and crewdays you will need for each job....I cannot put a dollar amount for this value because it is priceless and worth every penny spent on the Edge Estimating software program. The customer support has been very beneficial over the years and continues to be so. If I ever have a problem or need to ask a question, I simply call the Edge and talk to a technical representative and in less than 5 minutes, I'm a happy customer all over again. The overall quality rating of the Edge system is a 10!

Pros: How nothing is missed on a typical take-off. All the labor and materials are completely figured for you while performing each command.

Cons: N.A.....everything is great!

by The Estimating Edge on 05/05/2017

Thank you for your review and comments.

Really enjoy The EDGE, just wanted to point out a few things

Reviewed on 11/04/2017
Shane N.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: While the majority of the time I love the functionality and practicality of The EDGE, I've run into a few "glitches" as well as a few things I believe could be added/changed with the next version. Please see my thoughts below. 1. Look up Database (Misc., stud, board, anything) shows No items to display happens a few times a month. Have to restart Edge.
2. Option to lock in Board heights so that it does not change when changing stud heights.
3. 6 Mil poly Labour shows up under prices.
4. More Track options in soffits. Can have 8 stud types but only 2 tracks.
5. Option to automatically allow for curved/flex tracks at walls plus arch bead and ¼ board at soffitss and arch molding at ceilings when using convert to arch
6. Allow same bead ( 3 counts) options for furred walls as there is for regular partitions.
7. There is a user code for special labour but not for special material.
8. Molding swap outs for acoustic ceilings to allow for C channel @ radiant heat panels and flex molding at curved walls
9. Would like an undo button for deleting conditions, pages etc.
10. Add a Notes page that can be added to the pages tab to put reminders, scope items, exclusions, etc.
11. Option to save Stocking and other Reports as pdf for e-mailing to suppliers.
12. Add condition for ceiling board swap outs
13. Multi condition selection tool does not always capture interior soffit, ocl. (May be more, only noticed with this one)
Again I would like to reiterate that day to day I love the EDGE, these are just a few things i've noticed over the past couple of years. Thanks Shane

by The Estimating Edge on 08/11/2017

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. Your comments have been passed onto the relevant departments and we welcome any additional requests at http://bit.ly/2h3ti3s.

Edge (Vs 10.7)

Reviewed on 17/07/2019
Jeffrey B.
Vice President
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: We can customize the database. This allows us to have consistency with our estimates. The functions are intuitive. The learning curve is short. The on-screen takeoff communicates well with the pricing and condition setup features.

Cons: The functionality of the software is behind some of the competitors. We are on an older version. It can be glitchy. We've lost estimates when the Edge crashes. This is less frequent as new versions have rolled out over the years. From what I've seen, these issues are addressed and resolved in the new version. The cost to convert to the new (cloud) version is extensive. There will also be a learning curve. The architecture of the software is all new. This will be an additional cost (training and down time) and will introduce opportunities for estimating errors until we get the new software figured out.

by Estimating Edge on 29/07/2019

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. We appreciate your feedback and welcome product feature and functionality requests at http://bit.ly/2LVCjZa

EDGE Review - Dane Lantry

Dane L.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall very exceptional program. There are a few items i wish could be implemented in an upcoming update: - Drawing Maneuverability - I have used AutoCAD extensively and the zooming/panning operation with the mouse is much better/easier than what the EDGE currently offers. The zoom function is achieved by rolling the wheel of the mouse and the panning is achieved by holding down the wheel while moving the mouse. Currently the EDGE zooming is much slower and hard to control either with the keyboard (ctrl++/-) or the zoom window in the top right corner. Panning is not very user friendly whether the window in the corner or the keyboard arrows are used. - Customizing Reports - the reports function of the EDGE is a very useful tool. However, sometimes i need it to spit other information out and this is not a very easy task to modify. - Excel - exporting to excel is a nice function but i have been told that importing from excel is impossible. when entering prices in the Prices screen it isn't possible to pull down a value that is the same for multiple items. This repetitive process takes time and leaves room for potentially dangerous errors.

by The Estimating Edge on 08/11/2017

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. We appreciate your feedback and your comments have been passed onto the relevant departments. We also welcome additional requests at http://bit.ly/2h3ti3s.

Zooming and panning has been greater improved in Version 12. This version is now available and can be implemented immediately depending on your databases. This greatly improved version is a total rewrite which enables us to deliver innovative features, an updated modern interface, is web-based and is much easier to use. If you are interested in upgrading feel free to contact [email protected]

Best Roofing Estimating Software on the Market

Reviewed on 22/07/2019
Joseph B.
Executive Vice President
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We have standardized on The Edge as our estimating software company wide. Their technical support is second to none. They consistently listen to their customers and implement changes that benefit their customers on a regular basis.

Pros: Ease of use, database for labor and materials, reports and ability to import estimates into Timberline/Sage 300 accounting software. The tapered insulation module enables us to do our own tapered packages and shop drawings in house.

Cons: The new version does not have the “Detail” capability of the previous version and it is cumbersome to update item pricing.

Version 12 Review

Reviewed on 07/04/2017
Dennis H.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: The new version is easy to learn and move around within the program. It as the same basic function/layout as for the different tabs, scenario, section, condition, drawing. It has some great new features within the drawing (take-off) screen, but some improvements would be helpful in certain areas of the drawing (take-off) screen. I'm sure that there are other great changes that I have not seen yet, but overall, the new version 12 is a fantastic improvement from previous version of the Edge Estimating Software. I cannot wait to get all of the other estimators working on the new version.

Pros: Accurately producing a bid. Keeps the project organized when it come to alternates, VE options and other project changes.

Cons: Manipulation of the drawings within the take-off screen, example - measuring, without being within a condition, draw lines parallel or perpendicular to each other. Detail screen not working or is very limited in what you can do.

by The Estimating Edge on 08/11/2017

After learning it well, you love it.

Reviewed on 10/07/2019
Abiezer A.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I had a great experience with this software. I do not consider it user-friendly. I consider it for technical people and I love that. As I consider myself one, it was easy for me to learn and I have mastered the version I use in a way most users do not... or so I have been told throughout many years.

Pros: It allows me to customize my templates.

Cons: Some materials are stored in different parts of the database where they cannot be used equally all over. For example, if I create a new material for an adhesive and I store it in the "SF Misc Type" it cannot be used if you want to enter the formula using it from "EA Misc Type". In reality the adhesive comes in a can and sometimes, depending on the situation you may need or want to use it either way. However, if all the materials were stored in the same place in the database, you could use them however you wanted them without creating duplicates. In my opinion there are too many compartments for storing and classifying materials. It might be some coding requirement for the programmers but I do not know that.

by Estimating Edge on 17/07/2019

Estimating made easy

Tyler T.
Project Manager/Estimator
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: The Edge is a completely comprehensive method of estimating construction projects. The best part about the program is the user has the power to manipulate the input in order to meet his needs. The Edge has been a terrific tool which has allowed for a full breakdown of our operations from estimating all the way to evaluation of job cost versus expected O + P. The friendly staff at the Edge in Boynton Beach, Florida have been great to work with from the time I was in Florida for the introductory stages to the customer service aspect now. It's a terrific program and I would highly recommend it.

Pros: The overall functionality of the software is seamless. It's very easy to set things up and estimate a project using the Edge in a matter of moments. Once the preliminary stages of learning the ins and outs of the program is complete, it makes taking off a project very easy.

Cons: It can be clunky at times when revisions to estimates are necessary.

Long Time User

Reviewed on 04/04/2017
Michael C.
Construction, 501-1,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I think the product is great. would love to see the changes forthcoming with Version 12. I think there are a few of items that would only make the program only that much better.

Pros: The fact it walks you through each assembly and gives you the areas you need to focus on. unlike with Qbid you have to know each part and peace before building the assembly.

Cons: Some of the Onscreen features of Qbid would make the edge that much better. like the ability to just select a portion of a wall assembly in stead of the entire wall. or having to break it up into small parts.

by The Estimating Edge on 08/11/2017

Additionally, version 12 is now available and can be implemented immediately depending on your databases. This greatly improved version is a total rewrite which enables us to deliver innovative features, an updated modern interface, and is much easier to use. If you are interested in upgrading feel free to contact [email protected]

Edge for 18 years plus!

Reviewed on 10/04/2017
David D.
Fireproofing Consultant
Construction, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I have used the EDGE for fireproofing estimates for more than 18yrs. The Edge software is very versetile and allows you to build a system that is taylered to your business needs. I have also use the edge for developing estimates for Fire Stop, Insulating Roof Systems, Roofing Systems, Sprayed insulation such as K-13 and Monoglass, as well as generic SF, and unit counts for other materials. I would recommend the edge to anyone who does estimating for a career.

Pros: Accuracy, data bases, on screen, printing of reports, and charts for shop drawings and field crews.

Cons: It is a little more in depth than most estimating software and takes more time to learn, however the benefits of the learning process are realized in the accuracy and customization to a company's needs.

by The Estimating Edge on 05/05/2017

Thank you for your review and comments.

I love the program and the support

Reviewed on 10/04/2017
Abiezer A.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I have used it for 10 years and I enjoy working with it. I have to recognize that for most people that have used it in our office throughout all these years it has difficult and for some very difficult. I have developed a database very user friendly but once they have to make changes in the miscellaneous tab it becomes almost impossible for some of them.
Despite all of this, I love the program and the support.
Abi

Pros: Once I develop a group it becomes very easy to use and change to any particular project.

Cons: Creating a new group using materials not listed in the original database is somewhat slow and complicated. I think it lacks a little flexibility in the sense that one single space changes one material in the price screen.

The Only Estimating Software

Reviewed on 28/02/2018
Mike K.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Best construction estimating software on the market.

Pros: I've been using the Edge Estimating Software, on and off, since 2012. I own another take-off software that is a great tool for measuring, but doesn't have the integrated condition builder and pricing features. Scanning through some of the other reviews here, let me assure you, that the negative reviews are from those who don't have the correct operating system to run Edge functions or the user just doesn't understand how to use the system. Construction take-off's are only as easy as your understanding of the part and pieces (conditions) required for an accurate take-off. The Edge Estimating System is the only software I would suggest for on-screen take-offs with the ability to hand-enter if you're so inclined. I prefer on-screen as there is 0 chance of losing a condition in transfer.

Cons: You can't load large pdf's at one time. Can't view more than one screen at a time (would be nice to be able to open a detail page and measure parts while building the condition). A little pricey.

Edge Estimating 10.8

Reviewed on 24/07/2019
Spencer S.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: With all the little quirks the Edge has, it is still a fairly versatile program. I came from PlanSwift 11 and even though it was a little easier to do take-offs, the database building was much simpler with the Edge (for the most part). Overall 8/10.

Pros: Custom Database Building.
Ease of Take-off estimating.

Cons: The small bugs (Crashes, install issues, etc)
Not Cloud Based, yet.
No tutorial on how to make custom 'reports'.

Great estimating tool!

Joshua N.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: The Edge is a clean system that allows our estimators to quantify and create bids that are easy to review and simple to follow. Having a uniform bid software makes training easy! The Edge reports truly give our project managers an advantage in ordering materials and understanding the bid. A great tool!

Pros: The software makes for an easy take off.
Reviewing bids is simple.
Revising old bids or creating multiple bid scenarios is as simple as a click.

Cons: Not many cons... you cannot manipulate colors or fonts. So visually speaking you can't make color separators for grouping. Not a game changer.

Estimating

Reviewed on 04/04/2017
Scott m J.
Estimator / PM
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I really enjoy using the edge for my fireproofing take-offs. The simple design of the user interface makes it quite easy to use, and their technical department is very responsive to questions and dealing with the back-of-house operations if changes with-in the program need to be done. This program allows me to greatly increase my production as an estimator in both the quantity and quality of my estimates for my company. With the ability to upload drawings directly into program, I have gone paperless in my estimates, saving my company money in the long run by not having to order or print out drawings anymore. The Edge is a great tool for us and highly recommended.

Pros: Ease of Use. Good Technical support.

Cons: Fireproofing Shop Drawings as printed out directly from the Edge are a bit messy. I need to use a PDF editor to edit and clean them up. Should have the ability to write notes directly on the take off pages that can be included in the printed out shop drawings

Ricks Review

Rick M.
estimator
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I have only been estimating for 2 years now, before I used the edge we would use planswift and then make an excel sheet for the estimate, switching over to the edge really helped stream line our estimating process.

Pros: It a do all software, you don't need to use a program to measure and another to estimate, its all in one.

Cons: We have trouble making a report to print of the estimate that the project managers can understand, we are still working on that where I work.

Estimating Edge Review

Reviewed on 24/07/2019
Erik R.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: If you are doing fireproofing, this is the only software to have. It simplifies everything and takes all of the guesswork and time out of manually estimating this work

Cons: The scroll wheel doesn't work and you feel like you're in the 90s using this software, but none of that effects the overall functionality. There is a slight learning curve to train your brain how to use it, but then it becomes second nature

Great product overall

Reviewed on 05/04/2017
Dave M.
Senior Estimator/PM
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I have been using the edge software for 12 years now and so far it has been the best and well rounded system so far. The cost seems to be getting a little high compared to other programs with similar functions. I would like to see the system receive a few upgrades to justify the cost. Hopefully this will include a production control module for the project management side.

Pros: The accuracy of the system, the simplicity and universal use of the conditions.

Cons: Doesn't have enough features to assist with the project management side. Needs more control options for uploaded drawings. would really like to see a production control feature for managing projects.

by The Estimating Edge on 08/11/2017

Thank you for your review and comments. We appreciate your feedback and your comments have been passed onto the relevant departments. We also welcome additional requests at http://bit.ly/2h3ti3s.

Version 12 is now available and can be implemented immediately depending on your databases. This greatly improved version is a total rewrite which enables us to deliver innovative features, an updated modern interface, and is much easier to use. If you are interested in upgrading feel free to contact [email protected]

The Edge - Not There Yet

Reviewed on 10/07/2019
Dennis H.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall experience is very good. Like the program a lot and it fits our company well enough for the estimating team.

Pros: The versatility of creating different conditions. The ability to quickly add conditions. The accuracy of the calculations.

Cons: Not able to stack hyper links from page to page. Need to track details from Elevations back to enlarged details. Sometimes this will be three to four pages back into the documents. Do not have the ability to add notes, lines, clouds, bubbles, etc... to the take-off page. Can only add notes in one line and not a paragraph type setting. Need better options in printing out take-off, annotations come out too large and it does not print out correctly on 11x17 size paper. Need to utilize the project management side of construction as well.

by Estimating Edge on 25/07/2019

Allows you to give consistent estimates

Kim A.
Division Manager
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Technical customer service is unparalleled. I cannot say enough good things about how quick they help. I would recommend it highly.

Pros: Allows you do measurements from blueprints without having to print blueprints. Also allows you to so takeoffs from aerial views.

Cons: You can't go into the program and update prices. You need to go into an existing estimate and update it from there. Would be much easier to be able to go into the database and update quickly.

by Estimating Edge on 25/07/2019

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. In the database, you can update templatized items. Which is a fantastic idea for a future webinar. We appreciate your feedback and welcome product feature and functionality requests at http://bit.ly/2LVCjZa

THE BEST

Reviewed on 17/07/2019
Allen S.
Estimating and consulting
Construction, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Very good.

Pros: Everything:
Clarity
Complete
Job costing tracking
Flexibility​

Cons: Wish it was available in Apple mac systems

Austin Rackley Roofing Review

Austin T.
Estimating Manager
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We have been able to bid many more projects with the edge, with less estimators. To go along with that, estimates have become much more accurate and fool-proof.

Pros: I like mostly the time that it saves while estimating compared to by hand takeoffs and also the accuracy it allows if things are set up properly. I like the ability to fully customize everything from estimating templates to the reports and so much more.

Cons: There are several features that have been taken out in version 12 that we really liked as a company. Also there are several smaller bugs in the newer version that hopefully shouldn’t be too difficult to work out.

by Estimating Edge on 29/07/2019

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. We appreciate your feedback and we would love to hear what features you would like to see in version 12. Please fill out our product feature and functionality requests at http://bit.ly/2LVCjZa

The Edge review

Pete S.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: I have been using The Edge since 2006, I believe the software version was 7. We are now using version 12 with the cloud. What I like most about the this program is the ease of use and how it reduces my time estimating. With the time saved, I am able to take that time and be productive with other task during the day.

Cons: the Edge is a great program and if I had of to choose something that I like least I would say, the setup and not having the ability to transfer job information into our accounting and project management program.

by Estimating Edge on 26/08/2019

Thank you for your review and comments. The EDGE does integrate with accounting and project management software. To view the integrations, visit https://www.estimatingedge.com/integrations. If you do not see your integration on the list please submit a request at http://bit.ly/2LVCjZa or email [email protected] We continue to improve The EDGE experience and appreciate your candid feedback.

Edge Review

Jeff B.
Vice President
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I've been using The Edge estimating software for 12 years. I've secured and managed jobs ranging from small to over . The conditions are easy to manipulate to accommodate odd or difficult conditions. The program can be unstable. We are using an older version (10.7.3) due to costs and the process of moving to a newer version with an all new architecture (not backwards compatible). When using the Wizard (which you sometimes can't get around), it will change the formulas it uses to calculate board counts. The wizard makes you input a number (example: 48 for 4x12 board). When doing so, it overwrites the formula that uses the inputted board width and length. Easy to fix, but you have to know to do it.

Pros: If set up and checked, it will provide an accurate estimate. It's on-screen capabilities streamline the bidding process

Cons: Sometimes unstable. The wizard changes formulas.