• Overall
    4.6 /5
    4.3 /5
    4.5 /5

About ActiveCampaign

130,000+ customers in 170 countries use ActiveCampaign to automate their marketing, from contact management to email personalization.

Learn more about ActiveCampaign

Showing 1,261 reviews

• Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 04/09/2017

"Strong Automation System & Ecomm DataLayer, Weak Support and Long Standing Bugs"

Pros: Activecampaign sets the bar for building automations, with great sorting and filtering features including customer records, tags, lists, conditional rules/routing, e-commerce data such as purchases, crm pipelines and even a custom event layer. We have created very complex integrations for dozens of businesses ranging from E-Commerce stores, to Gyms to local businesses. It's really simple to learn and use, and powerful enough to tackle even the most complex business processes. This includes in-store purchases on a POS to sending out emails or automation's based on purchases or LTV. It also supports multiple E-Commerce platforms natively, but be aware those features are nearly 4x the price to unlock after the trial.

Cons: After months of issues that resulted in one of our clients losing an excess of $40,000 in revenue, we can no longer recommend activecampaign. Poor support was to blame for this issue, with it being impossible to get someone on a call even though we pay 6 figures a year for service. Activecampaign is growing really really fast. Because of this, They have pretty terrible support and there are also long-standing bugs that they seem to have no intention to fix. For instance, the system is supposed to generate previews for each automation's email steps and in various other places, but instance shows a broken image. We have inquired about this to the support to be told they are aware it's been broken for over a year and have no ETA or intention on repairing it. We have this problem on all our client's accounts(dozens), and it's a serious issue with UI/UX but they don't seem to care. There are also some major logic issues, such as if you filter an automation to show anyone with 0 purchases, it doesn't work. We also inquired about this but got another non-response... So basically, where it works, it works well but there are a few major issues and they don't seem intent on repairing them, even though they are steady releasing more features to add to their pricing tiers. Overall, it's hard to find another system that provides the ease of use, features, and value of activecampaign but the support and existing bugs are a nasty/necessary compromise.

• Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 04/09/2017
Ben marcoux (.
  • Reviewed on 02/03/2021

"Why I ONLY Use ActiveCampaign"

Comments: I've used ActiveCampaign every day for the last three-plus years to send broadcast emails and segmented, automated emails for my own business and for clients. Other than the occasional frustration dealing with a slow loading page, I've loved using it. It's super user friendly so it's easy for anybody to get up and running quickly so they can start making money for their business with email. But it's also got a ton of bells and whistles that even the most experienced email marketers will be impressed by.

Pros: Before settling on ActiveCampaign, I used a half dozen other email service providers. The expensive ones were too clunky and loaded with features I was paying for but would never use. They also took forever to set up and learn how to use. Literally WEEKS. The cheap ones didn't have enough "oomph" under the hood to build the powerful automation I needed and wanted to. ActiveCampaign is perfect because whether you're a newb or a seasoned email marketing vet, you can do what you want to do. It's SUPER easy to go in and set up a basic broadcast email or automation. But it's also loaded with tons of features that allow you to really "geek out" and "supercharge" your email marketing.

Cons: When working on automation, sometimes the interface is a little laggy. This is super frustrating because nothing is worse that being "in the zone" and getting work done setting up campaigns, then having to stop because the interface froze or decided to load super slow. Also, I've heard some complaints about the actual email builder being clunky and not the friendliest for designers, but I only send predominantly text emails so that's not an issue for me.

• Reviewed on 02/03/2021
Zakaria D.
Digital Marketing
Automotive, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/03/2021

"Affordable option to get into marketing automation"

Comments: Overall, they have a leg up over other email marketing apps with their class-leading automation system.
Newbies will probably complain about the template composing feature. It's nowhere near as easy as Mailchimp or Aweber.
But I have a designer compose my newsletters in Stripo, which is inexpensive. And they have a one-click export into Activecampaign. This works for me. I average 28% open rates on newsletter blasts. I'm happy with that kinda performance.

Pros: Activecampaign is more than just an email marketing app... done right it can free you from manually keeping track of leads and contacts interacting with your business. We use it to nurture all new leads coming in through our website. I recently implemented lead scoring of my contacts, which will hopefully allow me to filter those leads ready for sales. Another great feature is the site tracking. I've set an alert to notify me when a contact is on our site. I've yet to take advantage of this, but my plan is to automate an email to the relevant sales consultant, telling them their lead is on a high-intent page, so we can reach out at just the right time. There is more under the hood, I know. For larger setups one could use it as a full CRM, bringing your sales team on board with incredible amount of data about your contacts.

Cons: It can be overwhelming. They have pre-built recipes for most functions, which is a great start. But still, you'll have to play with the automations and see which work for you. Otherwise, it's like driving a Ferrari and not going faster than 120 kmh.

• Reviewed on 23/03/2021
David B.
Managing Director
Professional Training & Coaching, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/12/2020

"If I had to recommend a single email marketing and automation tool, it's AC"

Comments: AC has helped my business and clients alike in being able to seamlessly create email marketing campaigns regularly. In addition, the automation features are helpful to be able to tag specific contacts, start/end automated email series, and so on. There are limitless possibilities, without a *need* to use every feature to make it worthwhile.

Pros: AC provides the best combination of possibilities (features), user experience (ease of use), and pricing (it's affordable!).

Cons: There are situations when you may want a tool that is at the "enterprise" level (e.g., Salesforce) that may provide more options and span more actual product lines. I think it's very situational. But for specifically email marketing and marketing automation for small to mid-sized businesses, AC almost always is a more desirable fit than other platforms considered (e.g., more opportunity provided than MailChimp, all-around better than the terrible system that is ConstantContact, etc).

• Reviewed on 14/12/2020
Millie B.
President and Co-Founder
  • Reviewed on 13/10/2020

"A good all-rounder"

Comments: Active Campaign is our one stop hub for our sales and marketing activity so we have an almost global view of how our customers and and prospects are interacting with us - the exception is our help desk but I'm sure we could integrate that too if we really wanted to. We use Active Campaign to track our:
- Sales team interactions - emails, including emails we send from our own inboxes, tasks and follow up tasks, and call records - as long as we enter them!
- We use it to send and tracks all the newsletter/marketing interactions and all our automated emails for customers on free trials.
- We also track key interactions with our own product (though an integration we built ourselves) so the sales team have a quick reference to important behaviours.

Pros: Moved to Active Campaign from Infusionsoft (2 years ago now, before they changed their name) and we were very satisfied at that particular time that Active Campaign was the superior product. Good marketing and automation tools - which have also had a lot of investment and attention in the two years we've been using Active Campaign - as well as a solid CRM and lead/opportunity management dashboard. We have the Enterprise Grade subscription which gives us access to a dedicated account manager. This was really useful in the first year and we had an excellent account manager at that time.

Cons: Active Campaign have really focused in recent years on the live / real time behaviour tools and giving users the ability to build extremely complex automations. For us though, we would prefer a bit more focus on improving the CRM and things that make contact and lead management easier - such as the ability to add follow up tasks from the (otherwise excellent) Gmail widget.

• Reviewed on 13/10/2020
Morgan G.
E-Learning, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/07/2020

"It was wonderful until we needed support"

Comments: Initially we were thrilled with AC due to it’s ease of use and speed. However, recently we ran into a major issue that suddenly started showing up, and is preventing us from moving forward on a vital project. We used the chat, and initially the guy on the chat told us it was the fault of another vendor we had integrated with. After going back and forth, he agreed to look into it, and asked for a bit more information. I went to collect that, and when I came back, the chat had ended. Furthermore, when I tried starting a new chat, it said “chat is offline, you will have to send an email.” I noticed that the chat was disconnected and chat went offline at exactly 12 pm Pacific time, corresponding with lunchtime. This is crazy! Who goes offline in the middle of a chat with customers who pay over $200/month for software just so they can take their lunch break exactly on time?
Now I’m really wondering, can I trust AC when it counts? Because this kind of software is expensive enough and complex enough that it absolutely requires good support. So far, I’m not impressed. (Previous less critical support inquiries were eventually answered, but not particularly quickly).

Pros: AC is very easy to use and to set up. It’s more intuitive than most similar products we’ve tried. When it works right, it’s great.

Cons: Software like this is complex, and things inevitably break or have bugs. We have used most of the major platforms out there, and they all have periods of bugs and issues. Once you run into it, the only question is this: will support be there to help? Not AC support, not if it’s lunchtime.

• Reviewed on 21/07/2020
Nick B.
Consultant
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/07/2020

"Amazing"

Comments: I have used AC with an ecommerce store selling $3-4m per year, as well as several consulting firms and info product companies. It works amazing for all these use cases.

Pros: It's very rare to find so much functionality while retaining ease of use. I've been a consultant implementing and managing marketing automation and CRMs for 10 years, and AC has become my go to solution for all my clients. The CRM has come a long way in the past few years and now beats just about all of them that do both CRM and Automation. The integration with Ecom platforms like Shopify are also a huge benefit.

Cons: For years I would tell clients if they needed a CRM and they were doing personal sales that they should use Infusionsoft, but I can't say that anymore. Infusionsoft's CRM has become worse over time while AC's CRM has become much more powerful. One thing I wish AC would add is more functionality in the math actions for changing fields. If we could use different fields and formulas in the math to make calculations for custom fields, rather than just simple +-X/ then that would be amazing. I currently have to use Zapier to do that and it's not even that great with Zapier.

• Reviewed on 07/07/2020
Mikael E.
Business owner
Sports, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 26/06/2020

"Highly recommended email service provider (and so much more)"

Comments: Outstanding. In addition to how great the software is, the few times I've been in contact with customer support, that experience has also been very, very good. And the pricing is very reasonable for what the product gives you.

Pros: I am only using the Email Service Provider side of the software, not the CRM, so I will comment from the ESP perspective. What I like the most is the unlimited flexibility and features. In the "old days", marketers needed super expensive and complicated software like Infusionsoft to achieve what ActiveCampaign can do, in terms of automation, rules, segmentation and so on. This unlimited flexibility means you can make your email marketing as simple or as sophisticated as you like, the choice is yours. Generally speaking, the features of the software are outstanding!

Cons: In some ways the user interface can be a bit clumsy, e.g. when creating an email campaign. It's not bad, but there's room for improvement.

• Reviewed on 26/06/2020
Carmelo P.
Web & SEO specialist
Internet, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 26/10/2019

"Complete and flexible with a great API"

Comments: My expirience is overall good. In my case they even have an Italian interface and I contacted support a couple of times but as an avarege user you will probably not need assistence with this.

Pros: Active Campaign is a great software, it is very easy to use and having used Aweber and GetResponse I can tell you that the biggest difference is that everything in Active is organized in a logical way and it is easy to grasp.
But what is their stronger point in my opinion is the API system, I was able to add, update and delete contacts from a PHP script in a very simple way. Their documentation is very well done and they have functional examples that you can use as a base fro your work.

Cons: The cost structure could be better, other software they can be cheeper but I'm willing to pay that extra money for the simplicity of usage.

• Reviewed on 26/10/2019
Barry D.
CCO
Internet, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/07/2020

"Simple, affordable, effective"

Pros: For my size company (startup <10), it's easier to manage, affordable and does what's required better than Infusionsoft/keap, Hubspot and others we've attempted to move to - but keep coming back.
There's necessarily a degree of complexity that a non-dedicated resource needs to handle and AC does this really well. It's a tool of my business, not the main event.

Cons: It may exist, though I've never stumbled across it, but an opportunity to learn from the benefit of others - we shouldn't have to discover, learn and trial everything if others with similar needs have done so in the past. Remove inefficiency from my adoption of the platform.

• Reviewed on 20/07/2020
Tanja B.
  • Reviewed on 23/06/2020

"Best Tool so far"

Pros: I use it for myself and for clients, so I got to know most systems, and AC ist by far the best. Intuitiv, with a lot of great features. Easy to handle and to learn. Their webinars are great and if they do events in your area you should go there.

Cons: When you have a feature in your plan and the exclude it from the plan you don´t get a message and realize some time later, that it is not working anymore.

• Reviewed on 23/06/2020
Declan D.
Chief Growth Generator
Publishing, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/12/2016

"Powerful marketing automation tools, CRM, and the power to understand your audience."

Comments: Setting Activecampaign for a client with a limited budget and limited technical skills, we were able to set up and automate many of the lead funnels for this B2B SAAS company. The tools are comparable to what you'll pay 10X for, and one of the features I love about Activecampaign are their Marketing Automation Workflows - allowing you to setup, segment, and activate the inactive. By using this tool, we achieved 25% open rates in the HR industry where 10% is often average; by integrating the online tools with our inbound marketing Team - both phone and online support - we were able to increase sales Demos 10X over the previous 6 months because Activecampaign helped us motivate the inactive, as well as those who take action. One of the tools I recommend most to clients is Activecampaign because it's performance marketing at a reasonable price.

Pros: Marketing automation tools and templates
Deliverability excellent in our experience
CRM was enough for our needs, helping coordinate 5 staff.
Can use in Gmail, which helped our non-Tech sales people.
Reporting that helps quantify engagement and ROI

Cons: CRM was not the strongest, yet enough for our needs
Marketing automation services generally are separate from emails you send to larger lists in my approach. Would like an option for sending mail outside the automation to lists, but that may simply be different skill sets (haven't found a solution we like).

• Reviewed on 05/12/2016
Stacia O.
Coach
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 23/09/2020

"I've loved using ActiveCampaign for the last 2 years and look forward to continuing to do so!"

Pros: I am not super tech saavy or a big time marketer but I have been able to figure out all the features I need to engage with my customers in a meaningful way. The automations are simple to set up and make running my business a piece of cake. I also love all the support they offer, the live chat option has saved me many times when I needed to get a quick answer. I also was able to attend an all day event where I learned so much about how to effectively use this tool and I am grateful for all the amazing resources they have available.

Cons: I use this for very basic marketing so I haven't run into any issues or downfalls about it. It is far more robust than my needs are but I like that with that it doesn't overcomplicate it for the basic needs I have. All around great product.

Kendall C.
Director of Operations
Design, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/10/2020

"It's like MailChimp, but for professionals."

Pros: I'm in a unique situation because I have used ActiveCampaign for my company for four years. At the same time, I have been using MailChimp for a nonprofit that I'm involved with. I use both products frequently. What keeps my impressed with AC is how much more professional of a platform it is. MailChimp seems like it is better for smaller projects. AC's interface, segmenting, and automations make it stand out.

Cons: My only gripe against ActiveCampaign is the need to have my images perfectly created and sized BEFORE I bring them into my email. With MailChimp, you can drop in nearly any kind/size of an image and you have a handy graphic tool to resize, crop, etc. Adding this to AC would be a great improvement and keep our team from having to jump into Photoshop as often.

• Reviewed on 23/10/2020
Kareem S.
Design, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 10/06/2020

"Worth the money"

Comments: I've used ActiveCampaign (with the help of Zapier) to gather all my contacts, tag them, and manage their engagement and send out my weekly newsletters. I'll eventually use it to go after more specific people for opportunities.

Pros: There are two main features that I love about ActiveCampaign, the first one is the support, ActiveCampaign do an amazing job with customer service, onboarding, answering questions, and providing the right training material. The second is that tiered approach to functionality, it can be as simple as a email tool, or as complex as a full blown CRM and that really gives flexibility.

Cons: I think one the user interface is slightly outdated, it seems like if it was modernized it can become a bit easier to digest.

• Reviewed on 10/06/2020
Management Consulting, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 14/08/2019

"Solid Email Marketing/CRM Solution for Small Businesses"

Comments: ActiveCampaign is a great value for the variety of tools that it provides.

Pros: ActiveCampaign specializes in providing email marketing solutions with an intuitive, visual (albeit a bit slow) interface for creating and sending email campaigns and logical drips (i.e. If Email A opened send Email B or else send Email C). The CRM is a nice add-on if you don't already have a way to manage your client relationships.

Cons: The CRM is quite clunky and doesn't have the power and flexibility of platforms that were designed with that functionality in mind.

• Reviewed on 14/08/2019
Matthew V.
Advisor
Real Estate, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 08/04/2021

"Perfect for the lone wolf"

Comments: Always amazing, such a great and powerful software

Pros: This software is SO user-friendly. I’ve never once been confused about how something Works.

Cons: I wish there were a pricing difference between the 1st and 2nd tier.

• Reviewed on 08/04/2021
Muhammad A.
Marketing Manager
  • Reviewed on 10/04/2021

"Good tech, a little less good UI"

Comments: It's alright but will keep an eye out for a better alternative. It's not a cheap tool so getting such a subpar UX is not acceptable. Time is essential for me, and waiting 20sec between each screen loading quickly adds up both in time as well as energy & stress costs.

Pros: It offers a LOT of tools & solutions under one roof. It does a good job at covering a wide range of use cases and in most cases you won't have to use a secondary software to get the job done.

Cons: The interface is complicated, laggy, and just not laid out best it could.. A lot of options are buried 3 or 4 clicks deep when they should be just a click away. Plus there's no way to modify the layout or set up shortcuts to tools you use most. You gotta go digging every time!

• Reviewed on 10/04/2021
Matthew C.
Chief Operating Officer
  • Reviewed on 22/07/2020

"Great Marketing Automation Platform"

Comments: ActiveCampaign is an excellent marketing automation platform. Their customer support team is responsive.

Pros: ActiveCampaign is an excellent marketing automation tool, especially for B2B organisations. Very easy to use.

Cons: Events tracking is as powerful as other tools (e.g. you can't filter on event properties in workflows) but this functionality isn't necessary for most organisations. You cannot yet trigger automations based on Account property changes.

• Reviewed on 22/07/2020
Stephen W.
Artist Coach/Sales
Music, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 02/06/2020

"Best Email CRM That Exists"

Comments: Will never use another CRM!

Pros: It is incredibly easy to use, and the automations are insanely advanced & user-friendly. Perfect software for any business.

Cons: There is nothing I dislike about ActiveCampaign. I have used many CRMs, and nothing compares.

• Reviewed on 02/06/2020
Natasha B.
Chief Marketing Manager
Retail, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/01/2021

"The best Email Marketing + CRM solution!"

Comments: We went through several email marketing platforms in this is by far the best one. It's really easy to use, the automations possibilities are endless and very user friendly. It has allowed us to truly follow our leads, pipelines, and the main traffic sources so we can put our efforts in the proper channels. We've been able to implement a very solid automation system that has increase conversions and build loyalty. Furthermore, the SMS feature is a great add on and is converting pretty well, same for the web notifications. And the support team has been very helpful whenever we need something and helping us make sure that all automations are set up in the best possible way. Our team LOVES ActiveCampaign. We are looking forward to integrating the Conversations feature!

Pros: It's really easy to use and it's great for building automations that are well targeted and segmented, with a variety of options. From emails, SMS, notifications, goals, web messages. The pipelines system works great. Unlimited lists. Great customer service + offers monthly one-to-one calls to review your systems and improve them.

Cons: It might be a bit pricey with the attribution and CRM add-on.
And you cannot massively add subscribers to an automation.

• Reviewed on 28/01/2021
Beth B.
  • Reviewed on 20/03/2021

"Powerful Email Marketing with a Learning Curve"

Comments: Overall, I find ActiveCampaign to be powerful and it does exactly what I want it to do. Probably does more! I'm still learning the system so I'm sure there are more things I can be doing with scheduling and automation. It works very well, though and if you're patient about learning the system, you'll be able to do very sophisticated marketing with it.

Pros: ActiveCampaign is powerful, especially if you want to use complex automations. Plus, their tech support is top notch! You can get help quickly, personally and with the exact "how to" for doing whatever you need.

Cons: It's not always perfectly intuitive. It's powerful, and that means there's a learning curve. This is not an easy, "just click here" type of software. Plus, if you're into large, cute or friendly graphics, you won't find that here.

• Reviewed on 20/03/2021
Nick G.
Real Estate, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/02/2021

"ActiveCampaign for the Win!"

Comments: Ive been a user for 3+ years and I’ve even left and tried other competitors during that timeframe and nothing compares to the tools and features ActiveCampaign provides. The ease of the system combined with the capabilities they offer makes it a must have for any business looking to scale.

Pros: Sales Automation
Integrations
List and List Segmenting
Contact Management (i.e.Tags)
Sales Pipeline
Email integration
Great customer service

Cons: None at this time I don’t consider cost to be a CON as you always get what you pay for and ActiveCampaign is worth the expense.

• Reviewed on 16/02/2021
R. michael A.
E-Learning, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/09/2020

"Overall LOVE the product, tried a bunch of them"

Comments: I've tried Infusionsoft, as well as a few of the other off the shelf CRM's. As far as breaking up my website, tracking, in setting up campaigns, I really think active campaign is the best bang for the Buck.

Pros: Active campaign gives me everything that I need to set up my autoresponders and links into all the software did I use needs to link into it

Cons: I write a ton of emails and their email composer, well I've used both of their composers, could be a bit better.

Rob C.
  • Reviewed on 22/10/2020

"An invaluable tool for us and our clients"

Pros: The biggest plus for me has always been that ActiveCampaign grows as you need it. For new marketers, you can start with just the basics, then as your business grows you can add new features when you need them. That's why we use it in our business and I've always steered my clients towards it. If you need the power of I*******S***, it's there for you, and if you just need a replacement for M***C****, it does that too!

Cons: It's not the prettiest interface, and it can look a little dated, but that's superficial.

• Reviewed on 22/10/2020