About Toggl Track

Leading cloud-based time tracking app for small and big teams. Easy implementation, powerful reports, multi-device and offline support.

Learn more about Toggl Track

Pros:

Was using this with our tech support and content development teams. Does a nice job and allows for very specific tracking and time management.

Cons:

One annoying feature is that you can't pause sessions; you have to stop it, and create a new one. You end up with a couple of 5 second sessions.

Toggl Track ratings

4.7
4.5
4.5
4.6

9.1/10

Toggl Track has an overall rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars based on 1,807 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Toggl Track before?

Filter reviews (1,807)

Rafal M.
Rafal M.
Owner in Poland
Management Consulting, Self Employed

Great tracking tool

5 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Great tool, has a free tier (great for solopreneurs). Currently I use different app, but I liked a PDF reports that I could send directly to customer (very clean and informative). If Ive forgot to stop some task, system send me an email with notification (miss that in my current app). Great software.

Pros:

+ clean interface + quick start (my current app is a little bit lazy) + great mobile app and Chrome extension that keeps me signed in (not obvious comparing to other tools for time trackin) + clear and informative reports (with PDF export) + email message if I will forget to stop time tracker

Cons:

- customers are listed as "tags" - in my opinion conventional table would be better - billing options for project should be more intuitive especially if in the same project I use many different billing types (per hour, fixed/flat/onetime etc)

Max D.
IT Manager in Belgium
Wholesale, 11-50 Employees

Toggl track, what else?

4 2 months ago New

Comments: I've been using it for years and will for many more. No downsides so far. Very stable and easy to use app.

Pros:

Free to use, easy to use, always works everywhere and any time. In all the years I've used the app I've not had 1 single issue

Cons:

I only discovered after a couple months that I can activate activity tracking on the desktop version. If only I'd known earlier it would have made life easier.

Carolina S.
Interior designer in Canada
Architecture & Planning, 2-10 Employees

There are better online softwares

3 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

Nice looking platform and helps you to keep you on track

Cons:

I think that they need to improve their feature

Jakub H.
Designer / Founder in Czechia
Design, 2-10 Employees

Time tracking, time sheets and time billing

5 2 months ago

Comments: Being a small company we needed something we could track easily without any complicated setup. And Toggl provided. We have used it for 7+ years and it is still going very well. The best things are time is displayed in decimals so it can be easily multiplied with rates. Clients love the summaries, colleagues love the simplicity.

Pros:

The ease of use of Toggl is unprecedented. After setting up projects and clients we are able to track very precisly tasks and projects for everyone. Switching form one task to another is dead simple and everyone who complains that his workflow is "not trackable" just should try this since changing projects even between calls takes only a click.

Cons:

Pricing gets a bit steep after a larger team is on board + the timesheet vs. billable hours are not accessible in the free tier. Setting up new users and adding them into a team is somewhat complicated - but that is an UI/UX problem.

Patrick G.
CEO in Italy

Probably the most recognized time tracking software of the moment

5 3 weeks ago New

Comments: So far so good! We use it daily in our small agency, and every week we review the data, it helps us recognize patterns and information that we can use to improve our work process.

Pros:

A time tracking software that saves your time! Its interface is easy, intuitive, and gets straight to the point, with no need for extra configurations.

Cons:

Some features have space for improvement, the Reporting/Analytics section would be more enjoyable if it had some more in-depth metrics and analysis, for example, a comparison between projects tracked - but overall really great software!

Editor and proofreader in New Zealand
Writing & Editing, Self Employed

Simple, easy time tracking

5 2 months ago New

Pros:

I use Toggl to track my time as I charge my clients by the hour. It's easy to use and intuitive. The reporting with the free account is good for me.

Cons:

In the reports, having the option to select a project's whole time period would be great. Presently you also have to select the date range, which can be taxing on my memory because some projects last months.

Juan manuel C.
Juan manuel C.
Web Developer in Argentina
Consumer Services, 51-200 Employees

The most comfortable way if you want to track your time

5 2 months ago New

Comments: I have a very good experience, beyond what has been said, it is also very visual and has integration in the browser, from where it sends you notifications when it detects that you are not tracking the time.

Pros:

Very useful to be able to measure how much time each task takes me. It allows you to group it by projects and gives you a weekly report

Cons:

As against allowing editing times. It is useful for me to modify times when I forget to pause it, but it bothers me that my team can do it, there should be some option to block it

Divyanshu G.
Divyanshu G.
Software Developer in India

Nice tracker

5 last month New

Comments: Good experience have been using it for almost 2 years

Pros:

Tracker is cool, with accessible UI and UX. Very easy to use and this App has these smooth animations making the experience interesting. The report feature Is the highlight with every required details.

Cons:

These is almost nothing wrong with this tracker but the mobile APP can be improved as it sometimes stucks.

Tracey W.
Tracey W.
Director in UK
Management Consulting, Self Employed

Easy to use time tracking software for independent businesses

5 2 months ago New

Comments: I use Toggl daily to track where I'm spending my time and find it really helpful

Pros:

Easy to set up projects and tags to monitor time. Good to use either list function or diary function to record activity

Cons:

No issues with the software, it works really well for what I need

Aimé valentin M.
Aimé valentin M.
Regional Manager in Cameroon

The best time tracking appplication

4 7 days ago New

Comments: with this application, depending on the number of hours I can determine if an employee is not doing his job seriously

Pros:

this application allows me to know exactly how many hours my team has worked on a specific theme, which will allow me to evaluate the financial cost of the task

Cons:

what I like least about this application is the problem of synchronization and time zones when using the mobile application

Ema N.
Ema N.
Editor in Japan
Writing & Editing, Self Employed

An incredibly useful tool for freelancers

5 9 months ago

Comments: I love Toggl Track!! As a freelancer, it's indispensable for keeping track of my hours by project or client so I can create invoices (outside of Toggl Track). It makes it easy to collect the data to calculate the time I need for certain types of work, and helps me keep track of my training hours, which I need for my professional organization. All in all, I can't live without it and recommend it highly.

Pros:

Its simplicity. Everything is quite intuitive--you can create multiple projects for each client, add descriptions, and add tags, and it's simple to run reports by those parameters. Generating the reports is straightforward and incredibly useful, and the data can be exported as CSV files (also as PDFs). It's handy having a desktop app (there's also a mobile app, which I don't use as much) with the option of running the timer directly in a browser--handy when I'm working away from my usual desktop.

Cons:

Occasionally, I switch from one computer with the Toggl Track desktop app to another computer and have some syncing issues. The timer I thought was still running would have stopped or not stopped and I end up with some odd blocks of time. I haven't yet been able to figure out the exact issue so as to prevent this from happening (not enough time to sync with the cloud?). It can also be a pain to find an older project and start that timer again (e.g., a project that I had to set aside for 2 months and then pick up again)--you have to search for the entry you want through the web interface and copy & paste the description into the timer and manually add the same tags to start recording again.

Jeff M.
Jeff M.
Marketing and Web Services Consultant in US

Toggl Track

5 last year

Comments: I have been using Toggl for six years. I have implemented it in law firms, with partner agencies and used it as a search engine rater back in the day. Its just easy to use, straight forward and un-inhibited.

Pros:

I love the flexibility to organize my time and track time useage without worrying that I missed time I won't be able to capture later or getting stuck in system linguistics that don't match my project or tracking needs.

Cons:

I would love to be able to attach more detailed notes to the project that don't need to list with the actual time entry in reports. Also, the integrations are not useful for me. There is no Quickbooks or Microsoft integration.

Abby B.
Abby B.
Web Designer in US
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Couldn't survive in business without Toggl

5 last year

Comments: I've been using the free version for about 3 years I think. It's critical to my business. It doesn't have so many features that it's frustrating - it's just nice and simple. The paid version has WAY more features and tools that would be useful for a business of more than 1 person, or for someone who's a better business person than I am.

Pros:

It's very easy to use, and the FREE version is all I need. I have a little app that runs on my computer that even reminds me to track my time if I'm not timing. I get really wrapped up in what I do, so it's easy for me to spend way longer than I anticipated on things. Being a solo entrepreneur, it was critical early on when I was trying to figure out how long things actually took me to do. I don't think I'd have been able to develop a clear enough pricing strategy for projects because I literally had no idea how long it took me.

Cons:

The Windows app does undergo changes every now and then, so it gets a little glitchy. Right now, I can't hide the timer away like I used to be able to. I'm sure that'll be fixed by next updated but in the meantime it's only a minor annoyance for the benefit of the program. Which again, is FREE.

Yvette S.
Managing consultant in Netherlands

Awesome for solopreneurs

5 last year

Comments: I have used it on and off for years (I'm not all that good at tracking time consistently), and now that I have figured out the integration with Asana, I am smitten.

Pros:

what I most love about the software is how it integreates with Asana. You link the two in Chrome and then you will only need to click a link icon next to a task to start timing. That way, all your work on one task will be tracked together. I have all that I need in the free account, and would certainly keep using it if I need to upgrade when, down the road, my team would grow.

Cons:

Nothing that I can think of. I am really happy.

Bigue N.
Sole Executive in Canada
Internet, Self Employed

Simply the best time tracking solution freely available for self-employed and freelance

5 2 years ago

Comments: Toggl is simply wonderful, very close to perfect to me.

Pros:

I was tired of wasting a fortune with paid services just to track the time spent on an handful of tasks when working for my clients. I tried a few solutions out there, but all were paid, loaded with features that I didn't even need, and were a bit of a mess to navigate through just to manage my hours of issue a simple time report. I'm so glad I found Toggl : the basic free tier offers everything I need, has a sleek interface and is a bliss to use on a daily basis. Just select the project, type what you're doing and hit the "start" button to start tracking. Every previous task has a "start" button, it's as easy as one click to resume work on an existing task ! Editing time entries is as intuitive as editing text, and generating full-fledge, good looking detailed reports by client/project/task type for any time period is as easy as checking a few boxes and selecting the dates. The free version has everything you need for perfect time tracking for a single person. Simply perfect.

Cons:

None, really, apart from a few very minor annoyances I found with the browser UI : - Some quirks when editing time entries, but you get used to the way the time editing UI works with experience. - In some specific states, clicking the "start" button has no effect, so you end up not having tracked your time after doing a task. It still happens to me from time to time. This can be annoying, so I have to keep a vigilent eye the status icon (browser tab icon) when I'm working on something.

Science writer in Australia
Pharmaceuticals, 501-1,000 Employees

Simple, elegant, reliable

5 2 years ago

Comments: I've been a Toggl Track user for several years, on and off, and have found it to be one of the most pivotal tools for maintaining my productivity. If I have a timer running for a particular task, I'm far less likely to switch tasks until it's done. It's remarkable how such a simple tool can have such an impact on my stress levels, too.
Since I'm a solo user, I've only used the free account, but it's more than enough for my needs. While there are several similar products on the market that will do basically the same job, it's the simplicity, clean interface and integrations that keep me loyal to Toggl.
Aside from keeping me on track day-to-day, the data it generates is very valuable when looking at how I'm spending my time over weeks or months. This helps ensure I'm spending the bulk of my time on the jobs that matter most (it's shocking how much time email can suck out of your day if you let it!)
The recent addition of the Timeline view makes it easier than ever to fill in the holes throughout the day where you've forgotten to set a timer, giving a complete picture and breakdown of your days.

Pros:

The simplicity, clean interface and numerous integrations. I should also highlight the stability and reliability. I can't rate the customer service because I've never needed to contact them!

Cons:

There's very little to criticize here. What it sets out to do, it does extremely well. As a fan of the Pomodoro technique, I feel this function could be improved in Toggl. I'd prefer it if it didn't automatically stop the timer, but rather gave me the option to trigger a break after a set time.

Bruno A.
Bridge Engineer in Mozambique
Civil Engineering, 5,001-10,000 Employees

The best time tracking app!!

5 2 years ago

Comments: Before I used an Excel sheet to record what projects I worked on, from what time to what time... and that needed a lot of maintenance, and I eventually stopped using it.
With Toggl Track I can see which days I worked over time, or under time, so that at the end of the week I can compensate, and when it is time for timesheets, I can go to Toggl and see how much time I spent on which projects.
It is also useful when you have a time budget for a specific task, I can compare the time spent VS budget, and see how I can improve (work more efficiently).
Toggl Track has made tracking time easy and effortless.

Pros:

The first thing that I liked when I started using Toggl Track is how the app looks. For something you will use everyday, it must have beautiful design, and in my opinion this app is well designed. Second for me is how practical it is to log the time entries. Some apps are online only (which I am not a big fan), and this app allows time to be tracked on a windows app, android, apple devices, internet browsers... I used the Windows app the most because I log my work hours and I work mainly on a laptop. Third is how easy is it to find relevant information about time tracked, or time reports, and Toggl Track gives me weekly reports with all the projects I worked on, it can give how much time I have spent on a project overall, and recently we can see our time logs on a calendar view (very useful).

Cons:

One feature I felt was missing is the Google Calendar integration, but I received a notification today to inform me that the feature is now available for beta users, so it is coming (and we do have the option of URL for paid users). In general I don't like monthly subscriptions, and I prefer to avoid those when I can... and I would gladly pay for a once-off fee (reasonable for my corner of the world)... but the free version does all that I need from the software, so I can't really count that as a negative really. I am not a big fan of the pink app color... but don't hate it either... just wish they picked a different color.

Brian S.
Independent Marketing Consultant in US

Since 2015, Toggl has been my only time-tracking app

5 2 years ago

Comments: The basic time-tracking aspect cannot be understated, it's dead simple to use out of the box. I have used other time-tracking apps that turned out to be bundled together with invoicing and I simply don't need that. I bill fixed retainers and only record hours for internal purposes so that I can course correct if I am ahead or behind on work and fix time-sucks. Other tools like Harvest wanted to integrate it all and it was heavy. I can't remember how I found Toggl but it was perfect. I had a hard time understanding the difference between Clients & Projects, at first. It was easy to pick up but I think I got confused with a UI change years ago. No problems since.

Pros:

Out of the box, simple to use. Simple pricing and a free tier. The reporting is really simple but has 4 default views. This makes analysis really easy, knowing that I can see my work for an individual client over the course of a week, month, or year with just a couple clicks.

Cons:

I have found the latest UI update has made clicking the Start button in the web UI to be pretty slow, I end up having to click it twice a lot and that is annoying.

Producer in Ireland
Entertainment, Self Employed

Best Time Tracker, hands down!

5 2 years ago

Comments: My time was slipping away and I didn't know where it was all going. Waiting for files to render means 4-10 minutes of time twiddling my thumbs; then picking up on some other task like replying to emails that I would like to do for the ten minutes. That quickly turns into 40 minutes and then the momentum is gone! I don't know how long Ive been working on what and then all of a sudden its 5pm and its all over! Toggl makes the day seem worth it. When you can accurately track your time you can see where you are slipping up; going over; losing money and it helps get over the pitfalls of a busy and variety filled work day. If you work with multiple clients, have many different types of tasks, or you want to know how much to bill a client (a function I didnt use it for as I work for myself) Toggl is the job. I can think of so many more uses for it that don't apply to me or my business but its robust and really well integrated with loads of other apps.

Pros:

Toggl is so easy to use! There is an auto function that gathers info on what you are doing on your computer and you can then review the items in 15 minute chunks; by app, by webpage or by document. Its such an easy way to automatically track your time so you aren't fussing with buttons etc. Really easy and beautiful interface too. The app integrations are great and work with apps like Asana and Trello really well.

Cons:

Some small bugs when switching from apps too quickly and the mobile app doesn't have the same amount of functionality as the desktop version (which is to be expected of course) Other than that its pretty solid.

Technology Consultant in Canada
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

A solid offering in the time-tracking space.

4 2 years ago

Comments: Overall, it does what I need to. I have tried many MANY time tracking softwares over the years, including the time tracker included with FreshBooks - which you would think I'd use as it integrates directly with my billing - but I kept coming back to and using Toggl, despite the few hiccups I encounter.

Pros:

The key for me here is its ability to integrate with my project management software: Asana. Beyond that, I think they have a good cross-platform presence with their easy-to-use mobile app and, desktop (Windows) app and web app; I use all 3 regularly but the desktop client the most. Oh yeah, and the Chrome extension.

Cons:

Its cross-platform nature also proves to be a challenge (at lest for me). There are 4 places I set it up (see Pros) and sometimes they conflict / send duplicate messages / aren't in sync or don't sync very quickly. If you're on one computer, this isn't an issue but when moving between devices this isn't as seamless as I'd like. Part of this might be attributed to my own connectivity challenges at times and the configuration of each client on every system. The thing is, I don't need notifications from the web app and desktop client and the desktop client on my laptop next to me. But the Chrome extension is required to sync with Asana and I prefer to use the desktop client when, well, I'm at my desktop. So... short of going in and honing which notifications show where, it remains an issue. I have done this, yet I tend to format my system a few times a year and having no way to "remember" these settings becomes a pain. I also spend more time than I'd like correcting tags, and making sure tasks are categorized properly. There's an odd bug in the Asana integration that forces me to use a mouse to add tags rather than keeping my hands on my keyboard. A small nitpick but it does mess with my flow.

Lisandro R.
Lisandro R.
Marketing in Dominican Republic
E-Learning, 2-10 Employees

Toggl is the best time tracking software

4 3 years ago

Comments: We've been using Toggl in our business for over a year. It's key to track the time it takes to do certain tasks. We didn't know that when we started and we weren't tracking anything. When we found that out, we started tracking our times manually (writing the time of start and the time we ended in Evernote) This activity itself took too much time. But when we discovered Toggl it was productivity-changing! It's essential for our daily activities now. We considered many options like RescueTime and others I don't remember but found Toggl to be the most straightforward/easy to use

Pros:

How EASY it is to use the features. I love that it remembers past entries so you don't need to retype any frequent activities. Also, the reports are really detailed. And I really appreciate it when I get an email from Toggl because I forgot to stop the timer; really useful!

Cons:

The fact that it has not a mobile version of their site. The Toggl app was a total mess since the day I installed even though they tried to fix the issues updating the app several times (and even making a NEW app) but with no results. So when using my phone, I rely on their website to access my Toggl timer and reports but it looks terrible on phones. Also, their reports are not directly accessed via the Toggl desktop program but it opens the website (so when I have no internet access I cannot see it; it would be cool if I could).

Narendra V.
Co-founder in India

Awesome time tracking app!

5 3 years ago

Comments: I am using Toggl since 2017. And everyone at SprintCube is using Toggl for tracking their time. This helps me to focus on important things instead of micromanaging. We use it for all our activities like meetings, development, calls, and what not. Also, this data helps us to negotiate with clients!! We can also have different reports which help us to identify the areas where and how much our time is invested. Overall, this app is awesome and helps us to be more productive!

Pros:

Toggl is a full-featured time tracking application. - It is very simple to use. - It provides features like idle time detection, tracking reminder. - The app is available for all the platforms like desktop, mobile, and web. You can even integrate into the Chrome browser to easily track time on any third-party application like BitBucket, GitLab, Jira, etc. - Powerful reports with export option. You can filter the time entries by project, client or user. - An option to create different workspaces which help to be more organized. - You can create a client, their projects and also assign a team to track everyone's time. - An option to assign tags to time entries. This helps to filter reports. - Everything is synced in the cloud, so we can use it from anywhere. Also, we don't have to worry about data backup. - The paid version has more advanced features, but I haven't used them yet as the free version provides most of the features that I need!

Cons:

In the free version, it provides all the basic features. But still, I miss the following things. - In reports, the time entries are not grouped by date. - The number of users in a team is just 5. It would be great to have at least 10 users for small agencies which can't afford the paid version.

Lindsay V.
Operations Administrator in US
Media Production, 2-10 Employees

We haven't considered changing tools since the beginning!

5 4 years ago

Comments: We have employees that use the Toggl Chrome extension and others using the desktop version. We also have it on our mobile devices. We run reports for payroll and we run reports to see how much time we spend doing a, b or c, and therefore, we are able to see what profit or loss we accumulated on a specific project, based on our original quote. It's not too complex nor too simple to meet our needs.

Pros:

Toggl allows an employer to see all employees' details in one "team" location. The reports are wonderful. Toggl is easy to use. It connects well with other tools like Asana. Very few (if any) glitches/bugs on the important things. Aesthetically clean and easy to navigate. Updates quickly. I receive a weekly report of hours worked, classified by time spent per project. Great tagging system. Allows you to list your clients and projects so that everything stays organized. You can also add a description for any entry. Can easily pick up where you left off without having to re-enter the details of what you're working on. Great searching feature that allows you to see all work done in a time period, by group of employees, with certain key word or with one or multiple tags.

Cons:

It would be nice if you could customize the reports more. For example, I would like to print a PDF of a report showing all time entries but not showing who was the user for each entry. There have also been some features that I've struggled to figure out how to navigate or turn off and on. For example, Toggl started creating a new entry every time I paused and resumed instead of resuming the same entry. Once resolved, it has worked great, but it took me a while to figure out what setting was causing the issue.

Information Designer in South Africa
Graphic Design, 2-10 Employees

We have been tracking our time for many years

5 2 years ago

Comments: We started using toggl more than five years ago as task tracking, timesheet generation and reporting. The data has provided insight into how much time is spent on random things and how productive one's team actually is. And helps project managers to plan and achieve realistic timeframes. I haven't made use of the premium features. However the features available include multiple workspace (I have one for my personal projects), manual & live time tracking, calender view, a game-like achievements , coloured clients, projects, tags and export & reporting tools. I have and will recommend Toggl

Pros:

The app and most functions are free for teams less than 5 members. This is great as we are a minute company. The desktop app is great to use to track your time, task switching and can setup hour intervals with a notice popping up to remind you to track your time..

Cons:

The recent colour change to pink/purple is a bit weird on the user interface. But that's just my subjective opinion

Danielle M.
Danielle M.
Director Of Operations in US
Design, Self Employed

For clients who buy hours, this helps

5 last year

Comments: I use the free version and it's been fabulous for my business. I have clients that buy a few hours of work with me and this helps me make sure that I'm on track and not giving away free time. I really enjoy that it's in the browser too.

Pros:

Browser extension that reminds me to actually clock my time. It's nuts. I'll be on a website working on a project and it reminds me to actually push the button and track what I'm doing. Love it. It also lets me group stuff by project.

Cons:

Maybe if it had an audible alarm to alert you when closing out of a browser instead of leaving the timer on. I normally have to go back and edit my time because it then says it took 29 hours to do something. An alarm or something that goes off when closing down would really help me avoid that.