15 years helping British businesses

About Salesforce Marketing Cloud

Drive efficient growth with marketing and sales alignment

Learn more about Salesforce Marketing Cloud

Pros:

It’s capabilities once it’s configured which takes a significant amount of time and money by hiring outsourced vendors to help set it up.

Salesforce Marketing Cloud ratings

3.8
3.9
4.3
3.8

7.7/10

Salesforce Marketing Cloud has an overall rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars based on 497 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Salesforce Marketing Cloud before?

Gamze
Gamze
Data Scientist in Türkiye
Financial Services, 10,000+ Employees

Data Sets Made Easy

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Overall, one of the greatest tools to manage our leads.

Pros:

I like to go over every data points very easily

Cons:

I do not like the limits on the reports, it's up to 4.

Human Resources Generalist in US
Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ Employees

Top Sales Management Software

Comments: Through the use of granular criteria and personalization, we have increased user engagement across all modes of communication, including Email, SMS, WhatsApp, and Push Notifications.

Pros:

The effectiveness and manageability. You may control automated email sending and collecting contact information for hot leads. Its talents help the company expand by a factor of two. Bringing down the lead time for security matters. Separation of live and dead wires. Automating routine tasks saves time and effort. Boosts the company's growth and revenue.

Cons:

More automated components for plug-and-play building of user journeys would be preferable, as much of Automation Studio as possible must be implemented in SQL, which can get complicated.

Jayson
Founder in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Marketing Cloud - The best for Sophisticated Email Marketers

4.0 last month New

Comments: I both love and hate it. I love most of the elements of this product but it can definitely stump me sometimes.

Pros:

This product can do it all. If you have complex data, segmentation and campaign needs, this is likely the product for you. I love how many options it provides and how I can use Trailhead to learn.

Cons:

It's not a drag and drop type of product. While Content Builder is useful for the less technically inclined and Journey Builder is relatively user friendly, in general, you need to know a decent amount of coding languages. SQL is particularly useful, as is Ampscript. It takes a while to really learn this product and its best to use a third party to set it up for you.

Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 2–10 Employees

Streer clear of Marketing Cloud if you're a small company

Comments: It's 2020 and this product has the UX of the 2000's and a backlog of tech debt and bugs for a premium price. For a small business I'd HIGHLY recommend going with something else. Not only do you pay a PREMIUM price for Marketing Cloud, but you'll also end up spending more time than you should trying to figure out this product. There are "features" that exist, like data conversion on automations, but you'll have to spend time figuring out that they exist so you can e-mail support and request they turn them on, when they should have just been there in the first place.

Pros:

I like that Send Time Optimization was included, this was extra with the previous e-mail marketing product we used.

Cons:

First, we ended up in Google's black hole even when following the plan laid out by our integration partner. That you need an integration partner to get a small business setup should have been a huge red flag, but we thought we were stepping up to a more powerful e-mail product. There are bugs everywhere. Our integration partner had many tips like making sure to unselect an e-mail reselect it and stop and start a trigger to make sure the new e-mail is used, these are things that should be handled by the UX and not tribal knowledge. We used alias in our e-mails to aid in reporting, but sometimes they show up in the report and sometimes it shows the original URL. We opened a ticket and months later it was closed with no resolution, because there's a back end bug in their system that they believed was causing the issue. There's a lot of duplicated functionality that has different features. Want to manage your data extension you can do it in Email Studio or Contact Builder, BUT the features are different between the two. You can only easily add records in one of them so you have to remember which one you can do a specific action in. Their reporting is limited on Journey's and you'll need to extract all the data to do any deep dives. You'll need to use Journey's if you want to use send time optimization or any of the AI logic, so you're guaranteed to have to build your own reporting in your own tools. We needed this to realize we were in the Google black hole.

Kayla
CRM Marketing Specialist in US
Higher Education, 10,000+ Employees

Salesforce Marketing Cloud is Superior

Pros:

I love using SFMC! It's actually the biggest reason I have kept my current job as long as I have, because we use this software. I write journeys to send content and use those journeys in complex ways to add folks to a campaign after they have gotten an email or to direct them down a path for a specific plan or program they may have for a more targeted email. Or I used dynamic content in content builder when building emails so folks can get more customized emails. I also can write the ampscript into the emails in content builder. I frequently write data extensions in email studio and put them on automations! I use salesforce marketing cloud hourly at my job and love it! So many capabilities!

Cons:

Not one con, I love using it and train others how to use it!

Health, Wellness & Fitness, 501–1,000 Employees

Expensive but not worth it

Comments: Disappointing. Don't waste your money, there are better tools out there.

Pros:

This product poses itself as top of class, but that's only in pricing. It is complicated and not marketing friendly. The interface is not userfriendly and the tool does not support multiple brands without a heavy pricetag.

Cons:

The price, the user experience, the lack of multibrand use. When I threatened to take my business elsewhere we had one call with the VP but then he stopped responding to calls and emails.

Elli
Customer Marketing Manager in UK
Computer Software, 501–1,000 Employees

Essential for our marketing efforts.

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

We use the Marketing cloud every day for our email marketing efforts. We use a platform native to salesforce called Pardot to send out our actual emails, but build the campaigns themselves, whether they be webinar or email, in Salesforce Marketing Cloud. It's super easy to make new campaigns by just cloning old ones with mutual fields so it takes no time at all.

Cons:

It's a pretty comprehensive platform, so it performs a lot of features. This can be overwhelming at first and hard to pick up initially but isn't a con necessarily.

Chad
General Manager in US
Building Materials, 2–10 Employees

Great marketing tool

4.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

The ease of using the software and ease of going back on old customers

Cons:

The spam some days is little much. At first a little glitchy with our system

Ipek Nil
Ipek Nil
Sales Marketing Specialits in Türkiye
Environmental Services, 11–50 Employees

Great Tool Though Costly

Pros:

Single most amazing CRM system available for email campaigns.

Cons:

This tool unfortunately comes with a huge cost, not only to buy but also to maintain.

Tuğçe
Tuğçe
Social Media Manager in US
Architecture & Planning, 2–10 Employees

Amazing Cloud System

5.0 last month New

Pros:

Easy to use, user friendly interface. Good lead system

Cons:

It’s expensive when compared to others in the market

Financial Services, 11–50 Employees

A huge waste of time

Comments: Working with the support team is extremely painful. We spent hours over multiple weeks showing them our issues over video. Their premium support resources often couldn't figure out how to resolve our issues. It felt like they were just as fed up with this crap tool as we are. Although they didn't say it, I think one of our key employees quit over the frustration of dealing with marketing cloud.

Pros:

I don't like anything about this software.

Cons:

The integration with Salesforce is WAY oversold in the marketing materials. Moving data back and forth between the two products is extremely finicky and prone to breaking. Expect lots of duplication of data and lists that will invariably be out of sync. Managing email opt out lists with two systems of record from the same company is a CAN-SPAM nightmare. The integration's administrative tools can't be accessed in lightning. The customer facing unsubscribe and profile management pages look like shit and can't be branded or customized. They are so old, they still provide customers a warning about using HTML emails with AOL. Your Salesforce users will see email sends and interactions in contact records for some but not all emails sent via marketing cloud. If you try to send to a campaign or report from Salesforce, email personalization won't work. Same thing for transactional emails. You will have to send every single piece of personalization data in the API call to marketing cloud, because MC won't be able to find it on its own, even though it has a list of all these attributes and is supposedly syncing with Salesforce. There is single sign on, but only by request, and provisioning of accounts is not supported. Journeys will break the minute you make the slightest change to them. Trying to split journeys based on Salesforce attributes often just doesn't work. Because it's Salesforce, anything you would actually want to do with this software comes at an additional cost.

Alternatives Considered: HubSpot Marketing Hub , ActiveCampaign , SendGrid and Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to Salesforce Marketing Cloud: We chose MC over other tools because we were sold a native, deep integration with Salesforce. What we received was hacked together and barely functional. We can't wait to switch to another platform, even though it will result in a lot of rework on our end.

Jacob
Jacob
CRM Director in US
Financial Services, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Industry leader... So you pay for that.

Comments: I've been in SFMC since it was ExactTarget and you can see the changes and progressions in the past 15 years, but some of them are just not needed. They are just adding things in because they are running out of ideas to do so they need a shiny new toy for users to pay for.

Pros:

If your company has the resources to implement SFMC, it has the ability to do everything you need it to do with email, marketing automation and analytics... The flexibility in emails and templates is the most appealing part.

Cons:

If you have decent developers, there are cheaper options than SFMC. You are basically paying for the name. A lot of the features are overdeveloped and to implement, you have to pay staff a bunch of money to set it up or an implementation partner a bunch of money to set up the system.

Alternatives Considered: Total Expert and HubSpot CRM

, 51–200 Employees

Worked for SFMC and used the platform daily for 2 years (Agency side, in Services)

Comments: After moving off of SFMC, I was definitely hurting for the robust nature of personalization and segmentation that was offered through the proprietary Ampscript language, and the full SQL editor to run queries on data extensions. Although I think that it could have been built in a smarter way to execute processing of queries faster, and have a better UX/UI, the power that's available to a slightly more tech savvy marketer is unmatched.

Pros:

The first email platform I worked on was SFMC. Definitely the strongest features of the platform were the ability to customize so much through the use of Ampscript functions, content areas, and data extensions, as well as the ability to segment and cohort large amounts of user data with the power of having a full on SQL editor to do so.

Cons:

The platform was hacked together on the backend, and whoever headed up product did not do a good job of making the UX/UI cohesive. Extremely slow to execute queries on large data sets, and until they moved it into Automation Studio, there was no way to know when your query finished running, or what the error was if it ran into one. On the UX/UI side, who the heck made the decision that Emails and Data Extensions could be shared across Business Units, but User-Initiated Sends/Queries/Scripts, etc can't? It's not consistent, random items can be shared, while others can't and must be manually copied over to the other Business Unit.

Jamie
Sr. Assoc. Director, Digital Marketing in US
Primary/Secondary Education, 1,001–5,000 Employees

A heavy hitter, but work to be done in UX

Comments: Despite being somewhat clumsy in real-world use, Marketing Cloud is a powerful, high quality suite for those looking to pursue robust, personalized digital campaigns.

Pros:

This is an outstanding product for 1:1 engagement with an existing audience. We're still somewhat new to it, but are quickly coming up to speed. Best modules are open APIs, Journey Builder (basically pulls the entire suite together to build repeatable workflows), Audience builder (works hand/glove with Journey Builder), and Mobile Studio. It will take time for us to gather enough behavior and other attribute values to really put this to work. But it has plenty of horsepower and data tools and really get us to advanced personalization and performance analysis.

Cons:

The suite is a set of modules cobbled together via the original product (ExactTarget) and new apps purchased by SFDC (e.g., Social Studio, which as Radian 6). This makes it cumbersome to assemble an entire campaign because you're constantly pinging back and forth through different modules (via a tabbed interface) to get things done. It's probably too late now for a truly unified, campaign-based UI, so it will have to do.

Noel
Computer Specialist in Jamaica
Computer & Network Security, Self Employed

My Salesforce Marketing Cloud review 2023

Pros:

For me Salesforce Marketing Cloud has wide range of features and capabilities, including:Email Marketing: enables businesses to create, send, and track email campaigns.Mobile Marketing: enables businesses to create and send SMS and push notifications to customers.Social Media Marketing: enables businesses to manage social media accounts, publish content, and engage with customers.Advertising: enables businesses to create and manage advertising campaigns across multiple channels, including social media, search engines, and display networks.So in a nutshell it has all the bells and whistles, i need for my business.

Cons:

For this Salesforce Marketing Cloud product, here are just some of the some issues i and a few others have. Complexity: Salesforce Marketing Cloud is a sophisticated platform that can be challenging to set up and configure, especially for businesses without prior marketing automation experience.Price: Salesforce Marketing Cloud can be expensive, particularly for small and medium-sized businesses. The cost of the platform can increase rapidly as businesses scale up their marketing activities.Technical Skills: i personally believe to take full advantage of Salesforce Marketing Cloud's capabilities, businesses need to have skilled developers and technical personnel who can customize the platform and integrate it with other systems.User Interface: Some members have found the user interface of Salesforce Marketing Cloud to be outdated and less intuitive compared to other modern marketing automation platforms.Support: Some of us have reported difficulty in getting timely and effective support from Salesforce's customer service team.Limited Reporting: Some users have also reported limited reporting and analytics capabilities compared to other marketing automation platforms.It's worth noting that our criticisms are not universal, and many businesses have found Salesforce Marketing Cloud to be an effective and valuable platform for their marketing activities.

Mason
Mason
Marketing Coordinator
, 11–50 Employees
Used the Software for: Not provided

The worst....

Comments: Going to do a short list here... -No consistent browser compatibility/takes two browsers to send one email: I have to design & preview emails in Chrome but content does not load in guided send box, so I have to send them via Safari, but in Safari content doesn't load in preview tab, so I'm basically sending blindly once I've created the email in Chrome. -Lag time: It can take up to one minute for pages to load within the platform. The platform times out on me at least 3 or 4 times a day when trying to navigate through different pages in the console. -Customer service: Non-existent. The service our account manager has provided has been abysmal. When I tried to communicate these issues they were ignored until I said something on Twitter. He then took them seriously, but to the day, has still never provided me with a resolution, and would not even follow up on progress unless I prompted him by asking where we're at in the process. We also received 3 invoices after paying a massive lump sum, that are apparently due payments on the invoice we've already paid. I've been trying to get ahold of accounting there for a week to no avail. This afternoon I was even transferred to HP (the computer company) when I asked to speak to accounts payable dept. No lie. That really happened. I could go on for hours... but I have to struggle through their platform to get some more emails out for the rest of the day. We're moving platforms next week and I cannot wait. Our annual cost with the new platform will be less than one quarter with Exacttarget. tl;dr version: The UX is terrible, customer service is non-existent, and it's massively overpriced. Look elsewhere - avoid at all costs.

Pros:

You can send emails....

Cons:

Too many to list... Trust me... we tried for over a year. It is not a matter of our email expertise. They are an enterprise, and they treat you like the little man you are comparatively.

Salesforce Response

9 years ago

Hi Mason, We are sorry to hear that you're experiencing these issues, and I’m continuing to escalate with our internal team based on your feedback. Would you be willing to share some screen captures of the issues so that we can send them over to our product team? Thanks, Katie

Russell
Russell
Email Developer in US
Religious Institutions

Fantastic Platform For Marketing

Comments: You get the benefit of an easy to use email platform, and the ability to automate workflows to enhance the personation of your customers.

Pros:

There's a lot that we use the marketing cloud for. Automation, email, journey builder, etc. It's something that helps us work with such a massive audience. We can send emails easily and import our own templates. It's also great for automating workflows and building out dynamic emails to save time in the future. You're really able to dig into personalization with this tool and really connect with your customers.

Cons:

The customer support. The support is horrible. You have to call this number (if you can find it) and then bounce around an automated system that usually ends with a message to check the online forums for help. If you have any kind of emergency or need help ASAP you're not going to get it.

Ahmed
Freelancer in Egypt
Computer & Network Security, 51–200 Employees

One of the best CRM ever

Comments: Salesforce helped us a lot in our work tasks, you can say that he can do all your work tasks, especially if you work in a team in the field of marketing, customer follow-up, advertising campaigns, customer targeting, data collection, real estate and others
In summary, this program can accomplish large and heavy tasks for your company with many advantages that will make it easier for you to use the program

Pros:

Salesforce offers a tons of flexibility. Salesforce allows you to build anything you can imagine. The CRM can perform some serious heavy lifting and integrates with practically all programs on the market. Tasks let you keep track of ongoing discussions or tasks with clients and prospects, whilst reporting lets you monitor how your team is performing.

Cons:

Sometimes it is slow to use However, that is just how CRMs are, I've looked at many different CRMs available, and Salesforce has so far proven to be the finest.

Dick
Carpet Cleaner in US
Management Consulting, 11–50 Employees

Buggy Buggy Buggy!

Comments: All in all this solution has a long way to go before it's a good product. There are much better alternatives in the marketing automation space. I have faith in this solution long term because it is owned by Salesforce.com.

Pros:

Features are good in concept. Support takes at most a day to get back to you on cases. Support can usually help you, but not always.

Cons:

Documentation is poor and almost always not descriptive enough and outdated. The system itself is very buggy. The typical response from support is "Just start fresh" in regard to whatever you're working on. We have a Sales cloud integration which does not work well with Marketing cloud. The connector is antiquated and it's impossible to leverage synchronized data extensions in journeys and other marketing content.

Aaron
Aaron
Director Consulting, Salesforce Marketing Cloud in Finland
Marketing & Advertising, 10,000+ Employees

Powerful, but complex

Pros:

This software is an online SAAS, and is some of the most powerful Marketing Software on the planet. The software is best used in an environment where personalized, but mass email communication is needed--typically for B2C situations. Pardot is an ideal product for B2B solutions. Although the product can be configured and used by end-users, it is best to work with a partner.

Cons:

There are many updates needed in order to make the software work in a more user-friendly fashion, particularly when compared with less powerful solutions, like Constant Contact, MailChimp, etc. A Salesforce partner will cost additional money to implement the solution, but it is a good investment.

Anil
Deputy Manager in India
Retail, 10,000+ Employees

Campaign Management and Email Marketing Management with SFMC

Comments: Saleforce Marketing Cloud is a marketing automation leader in the market. One best thing about salesforce marketing cloud is that it has all features of automating all your marketing campaigns for Email, SMS, Direct mail and push notification.

Pros:

My overall experience with Salesforce Marketing Cloud is really great, because it is user friendly and easy to use marketing automation platform available in the market and with the help of it I am able to create Email campaigns, SMS campaigns, Direct mail campaigns and push notification campaigns. We also have purchased its Email studio, SMS studio and Push studio license.

Cons:

I do not have any dislike for this platform.

CRM Analyst in US
Consumer Goods, 10,000+ Employees

Awful UX

Comments: Nothing is easy to use. I miss the UX- intuitive ESPs I used to use.

Pros:

I like nothing other than the fact that I now know how to use Salesforce Marketing Cloud, which apparently is a great accomplishment. I'd personally rather use ANY other ESP.

Cons:

The UX is absolutely terrible. Can't make segments easily, everything is so unbearably slow. I cannot believe SFMC is so "talked about" in the industry. It's awful.

Cat
VP of Operations in US
Public Relations & Communications, 11–50 Employees

Greatly disappointing

Comments: Ultimately we are switching from Marketing Cloud because the price is too high for all the headaches and because we use a limited amount of the functionality anyway since we just need the email marketing component.

Pros:

The email builder is very easy to use and the ability to specify a preheader was greatly appreciated.

Cons:

Hard to pick what was worst - terrible customer service, despite paying for Premiere Support it often took days to get problems solved (and updates were constantly causing new problems), or the fact that the answer to every question was either no or an upsell.

Marketing & Advertising, 201–500 Employees

Salesforce Marketing Cloud

Pros:

Very robust system. I use the email studio platform the most, followed by SMS studio. These platforms provide enterprise level email and sms deployment and campaign management.

Cons:

Very expensive to implement and use, but at the enterprise level, it is one of, if not the top player.

Co-Founder in US
Insurance, 2–10 Employees

Salesforce is THE BEST CRM

Comments: I was against Salesforce at first but know I dont know how I worked without it.

Pros:

SalesForce has allowed me access to run reports I never though of running. I now can keep track of what status every client is in in one place instead of going to three or four different places or relying on my agents to tell me where exactly their business is at. SalesForce has really been a game changer in that is has allowed me more time, and that is the one thing I really needed was time. A huge benefit with Salesforce also is almost every company knows how to integrate with Salesforce.

Cons:

The only con I can think of with Salesforce would be the cost. Not the cost od Salesforce but the cost to get someone to fully develope it. If you are not tech savvy it can be expensive to hire someone. I think that is to be expected though