• Overall
    4.6 /5
    4.5 /5
    4.6 /5

About Campaign Monitor

Campaign Monitor is an email marketing tool that enables anyone to send beautiful, targeted, and effective email campaigns.

Learn more about Campaign Monitor

James D.
Head Of Design
  • Reviewed on 12/08/2019

"Great for agencies"

Pros: We used Campaign Monitor for many years with multiple clients and it worked really well. Segmentation of clients was easy and setting new ones up was all self-initiated​, no need to contact support. List management​ was a breeze as well as segmentation. Campaign creation was also easy, we never used the drag and drop editor​ as we crated bespoke HTML emails ourselves.

Cons: The reason why we chose to move away from CM was the segmentation was slightly limiting for us. We basically needed to segment based on relative dates, i.e from now until 3 months ago. This could only be achieved by entering exact dates, which you would need to change on a​ daily basis if using for automation purposes. If that doesn't bother you I would recommend using CM.

• Reviewed on 12/08/2019
Abbas H.
Managing Director
  • Reviewed on 08/10/2017

"Best email marketing and automation solution i've used so far!"

Pros: We've used other email marketing tools for different reasons over the years, but still always came back to read Campaign Monitor's excellent email marketing advice on their blogs and articles about best practices. Finally took the plunge a year ago and moved all our subscribers over. No regrets whatsoever! Just the amazing email editor and template manager is enough to make me leave everything else and use Campaign Monitor. The extensive segmentation tools, super clear and well-formed APIs to connect with our CRM and outstanding customer journey setup is above and beyond what i've seen from other tools in the market. Oh and their brilliant responsive all-platform templates!! Also, when they say 'award-winning' and round the clock support / success teams, they mean it! Definitely and whole-heartedly recommended!

Cons: I'm nit-picking, but how Campaign Monitor counts subscribers (in order to bill us) is different from some of the other tools out there. For e.g. if the same subscriber is in two mailing lists, it counts as two for billing purposes. If you have many lists, it tends to balloon your billing subscription out a bit.

• Reviewed on 08/10/2017
Annie K.
Graphic Designer
  • Reviewed on 09/02/2021

"Easy to use, even for beginners!"

Comments: I use campaign monitor weekly when deploying campaigns for multiple clients, whether they are bright and fun e-commerce emails, or real estate, or emails for medical professions, every type benefits from it and being able to toggle back and forth between clients' profiles makes it so fluid and efficient.

Pros: I love that campaign monitor has two ways of creating emails, either uploading custom HTML or using their in-house email builder. I regularly use both for different clients. It is so easy for someone to use who doesn't have a lot of coding skills or doesn't use these platforms often because it is just so intuitive.

Cons: I think the thing I like least about campaign monitor is its in-house email builder is kind of limited. Sometimes I want to lay something out differently or change a color or style of something, but since it has a limited builder, those things aren't possible. I also don't love that you can only have one credit card on file for your emails so if you want to send out two emails in one day from two separate credit cards, you have to manually update it after the first is sent but before the second is sent.

• Reviewed on 09/02/2021
Financial Advisor
Insurance, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/06/2020

"campaign monitor for email marketing"

Comments: Managing your email marketing campaigns can be very hard if you don't have the right tools. We have alot of target mails we have to constantly engage meaningful content with, that is why we use campaign monitor to make the work more efficient. It integrates well with most CRM platforms including the one we use.

Pros: The templates helps with customisation for different kinds of customers. Its easy to use in most cases

Cons: Campaign monitor is on the expensive side, there are other tools that can offer similar results at less price.

• Reviewed on 17/06/2020
Director of Business Development
Internet, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/05/2018

"Currently the best email service provider in the balance of powerful features and easy of use."

Pros: I love the email builder. That's what did it for me. But I also like Worldview, it's amazing. I also really like the reports, they are so easy to navigate and give deeper insights than I saw with other ESPs.

Cons: It's a little pricey compared to the alternatives, but I think it's worth it. One time I had a very bad issue which they apologized for and gave me a credit for, but it was really bad. Things happen, still a great company.

• Reviewed on 16/05/2018
Marketing Director
Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/04/2018

"Easiest Email System I’ve Seen"

Pros: So easy to use, it’s not even possiable to access the HTML or SQL. Anyone can pick this tool up easy.

Cons: Usually you compromize ease of use for robust, advanced features. But, there’s not too many issues with this. Sometimes I have to be creative, but I have always made it work. I hope to see more on the automated program features - like being able to exclude if they’re on another list.

• Reviewed on 19/04/2018
Jim C.
Retail, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/09/2017

"I have been a user for a number of years. I own a retail store and use to communicate w/customers"

Comments: IT helps drive customers into the store and to stay in touch with them, in general. We can present images that focus on what we want customers to think about. It gives customers a way to send feedback, if they want to do so. It provides attractive templates that allow us to create a consistent, recognizable look.

Pros: It has a lot of power and flexibility. A user with little computer expertise can make it work, or more complex efforts are possible, too. User support is excellent, regardless how large or small you might be. I don't think it would be possible to find a better communications vehicle for the cost.

Cons: I would like to see more WORD functions included in the email text options. I would include underlining, bullet lists and few other options.

• Reviewed on 28/09/2017
Bradley G.
Co-Founder
Financial Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/02/2018

"Super helpful, and easy to use when you are getting started"

Comments: The price is right. It has less functionality, but the ease of use and lower cost make this an important part of our email marketing strategy.

Pros: Very easy to get started with setting up your initial email lists for targeting.
Can easily customize lists based on customer attributes

Cons: Somewhat limited functionality. We still use Campaign monitor, but we split our time between this product and one of their competitors since we like the reporting features of one of their competitors.

• Reviewed on 16/02/2018
Tami C.
Government Relations, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/08/2016

"New customer hits an obstacle but quickly addressed with outstanding service on a Sunday evening."

Comments: As a new customer, who is also in the process of starting a new business, I ran into a bit of a process issue because I hadn't been able to complete setting up my website. I contacted Campaign Monitor about the issue and received a quick, thorough response on a Sunday evening that addressed my issue and also gave me a list of how to do things. I was very pleased and it made starting Monday morning without worrying about resolution so much easier.

Pros: Simple to use templates for any kind of email campaign make starting a business so much easier. I spent tons of time trying to create my own from 'free' templates but once I started messing around with apps with which I wasn't familiar it took time I didn't have. At this point in time all I want is a generic template later on I may customize.

Cons: On the template it wasn't exactly clear how to insert a logo that included a picture with text if the logo wasn't print ready.

• Reviewed on 29/08/2016
Kay S.
Email Marketing Specialist
  • Reviewed on 09/01/2018

"After 10 years, still my preferred platform for email marketing"

Comments: Campaign Monitor allows my clients to easily send email marketing campaigns to their customers or users. The white-listing allows my agency to earn passive income.

Pros: Campaign's outstanding feature is it's ease of use. The interface is friendly and makes sense but does not dumb things down for advanced users.

Cons: My one complaint about Campaign Monitor is that their bespoke/custom template editor has not been updated in a long time, in favor of their drag and drop editor. The drag and drop editor is great, but it's still not enough for some of my clients who need very low level control over their branding.

• Reviewed on 09/01/2018
Nathan R.
  • Reviewed on 06/02/2018

"Beautiful and simple Email ;arketing and Automation"

Comments: Managing your email marketing and automation in a simple way is a huge advantage.
This was made to be simple, so new and experienced users alike can benefit from this software

Pros: There are several companies that deliver the same service, but I have yet to see one as simple as this one.
Simple is always good.
Being able to design a high quality email AND to be able to setup the automation (email marketing) in a visual way

Cons: Even though it is very easy, and the templates are gorgeous, you need to have high quality images and at the right size in order to "switch" them in the templates.
And even though you can get ideas for automation paths you still have to define your own.

• Reviewed on 06/02/2018
Adam E.
Marketing Coordinator
Financial Services, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/09/2019

"Be prepared for negative numbers"

Comments: It's pretty good overall! I'm happy with the product but there are some kinda wonky aspects to it, though again, that could be a result of using it as not necessarily intended.

Pros: It's very easy to upload email lists and to customize my own email campaigns. Being able to drag a CSV file into the list is such a huge QOL, and I like that Campaign Monitor has it's own templates that I can use to create my own email campaign.

Cons: I'm not sure if my company uses this feature as intended, but I'm often uploading and deleting users from the list so that we don't hit the cap. As such, lists often run into negative numbers after I delete them. This becomes a problem when I need to use a list that's a bit smaller - Campaign Monitor understandably can't send to a user list it perceives as having negative users.

• Reviewed on 05/09/2019
Project Leader/Marketing Professional Commercial Truck Marketing
  • Reviewed on 24/09/2018

"Great tool for Company and Client Eblast usage"

Pros: The ease of setup and designing templates, as well as it's reporting.

Cons: I really have no complaints about using this software.

• Reviewed on 24/09/2018
Jake C.
eCommerce Analyst
Internet, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/10/2018

"Excellent Value!"

Comments: Excellent value for the money, it's pretty cheap, anyone can afford it. (cheaper than a spotify subscription!)

Pros: I've used many different email marketing tools over the years, and have seen the ups and downs of many of them. CM is one of the top programs I've had the opportunity to use. Editing and managing emails is a breeze w/ CM, and the support was there when needed (prompt as well).

Cons: If you have a good CRM this program might not be necessary, but that's not so much of a con as it is you just need to know what your personal needs are and that this software isn't the end-all solution for everyone. I don't really have any gripes about this software. A few things are different than other competitor's, like the way hours are billed, but that type of stuff doesn't take long to get used to.

• Reviewed on 31/10/2018
Katie F.
Content Developer
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/05/2020

"Campaign Monitor Gets the Job Done - But Not For Large Companies with Robust Needs."

Comments: If you're looking for an email-only program - i.e. only to create and send emails, and look at email stats - this is fine. But if you're in the market for a true email marketing platform that you use in conjunction with the rest of your marketing tools AND want to view how emails play a part in the customers' journey, then this isn't the platform for you. I'd recommend looking into Hubspot (or something similar), which acts as both a CRM, website, and email tool.

Pros: The ease of use is by far the best thing about Campaign Monitor. No background in coding or HTML? No problem! This platform lets you create visually-appealing emails with only a few clicks of a button. Looking at the email stats was very simple too. Overall it's a good, simple platform to meet your small business needs.

Cons: The fact that Campaign Monitor lives outside our system. We had been looking for a simple email marketing tool - which this was. But when we were ready to make the jump into a more robust platform (one that seamlessly integrated with our CRM), it wasn't possible. Plus, not being able to marry together the email insights into our customer actions/deals/leads was a big hindrance.

• Reviewed on 21/05/2020
Scott O.
Computer Software
  • Reviewed on 07/05/2015

"Campaign Monitor is the best ESP yet"

Comments: I switched Trade Ideas from iContact to Campaign Monitor in Q3 2014 and haven't looked back. The interface is not only modern, but extremely efficient – example: conducting several types of A/B tests with any send is right in the sending workflow and not a complicated process.

Pros: The customer service and support are very quick to respond with a helpful solution. The templating and editing interface is powerful and purposefully limited, making for very fast creation of great looking, responsive emails. We can import our own templates when needed, however I haven't bothered doing so yet. The A/B testing and email send reporting is excellent and intuitive. Campaign Monitor has added additional automation features just in the short time I've been with them, increasing their value to me as an ESP.

Cons: Not much, really. Some additional automation features and more advanced segmentation/list splitting would be about all I'd ask for so far.

by Campaign Monitor on 11/05/2015

Thanks for the great review. We hope to continue to increase our value to you!

• Reviewed on 07/05/2015
Beth J.
Marketing & Advertising
  • Reviewed on 08/05/2015

"Amazing Customer Service"

Comments: I've used Campaign Monitor on behalf of two separate marketing agencies now and am very pleased with the platform. For one, we used the whitelable feature to facilitate our various clients sending emails via template. For the other, we use CM for our agency email marketing across several departments.

Pros: FANTASTIC customer service and technical support! Several times I've reached out to Campaign Monitor with custom questions, needs, or requests for assistance. Not only has the support team been very swift to respond, but the responses are personalized, friendly, and truly helpful. Each time, they've taken the time to fully understand my need and situation, find a solution, and offer that solution quickly and up front. These are real humans who can truly help and work hard to offer pro-active solutions, keeping us on schedule and on budget. I'm super pleased.

by Campaign Monitor on 11/05/2015

Thanks for the awesome review! We're so happy that our support and technical team has been able to assist you with your needs! Let us know anytime we can help!

• Reviewed on 08/05/2015
Guy G.
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/01/2020

"Great integrations for email marketing"

Comments: sending multiple emails and marketing campaigns and producing reports to show effect

Pros: Ease of use, sending email campaigns for clients and reporting on delivery, open rates, click throughts, bounces, etc

Cons: I've had no issues. Also use MailChimp, which seems better for background articles and stats by industry for comparison, but campaign monitor does a good solid job.

• Reviewed on 31/01/2020
Andrew S.
  • Reviewed on 06/02/2015

"Beautiful, solid mail software, backed with good service"

Comments: We have been using Campaign Monitor since 2004 for client and personal campaigns, from lists of a few hundred contacts to those with hundreds of thousands of contacts. Campaign Monitor is a slick, solid and easy to use. You can tell that each feature has been well thought out and polished. It is easy to read about a new feature and know how to start using instantly. In over 10 years of use we have never experienced any down time, difficulty in sending mails or having them received by customers. There was one day when Campaign Monitor lost a few click-through statistics and they instantly apologised and gave us an overly-generous refund. We have used their API to get a close linking of customer details between our site and the Campaign Monitor list, and we pull down data for reporting. If I have one gripe it is that moving to a new pricing tier recently put the service into the "expensive" bracket in my opinion. I appreciate that quality and service comes at a cost, but I feel they are flirting with "over-priced". Overall I would definitely recommend Campaign Monitor as a partner that can take you from hundreds to hundreds of thousands of mails a week.

• Reviewed on 06/02/2015
Bec L.
MD
  • Reviewed on 06/06/2017

"Excellent customer service"

Pros: Easy to use, very adaptable to different client needs, set up really well for organised isatio a, individuals or small consultant agencies like me

Cons: Some of the invisible formatting can be vexing, for example heading sizes can slip into paragraphs and you can think its fixed on preview but it shows up again in test emails, or, worse, the real thing.

• Reviewed on 06/06/2017
Michael G.
COO
  • Reviewed on 21/07/2016

"Great Support"

Comments: We use their service to send email newsletters on behalf of clients. The site has a great set of features and in the rare instance that something goes wrong, the support is phenomenal.

• Reviewed on 21/07/2016
Igor C.
Sales Manager
  • Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 10/04/2018

"Fully-featured and expansive email marketing tool"

Comments: If you a are looking for simplicity, this software is what you need to look at. Email monitoring is very easy and tracking is reliable.

Pros: The interface is simple and intuitive, as you don't have to spend hours figuring creating new templates. Cost is pretty low compared to other alternatives and availability of advanced features such as A/B testing, data segmentation really add to the overall package.

Cons: Limited ability to edit HTML once templates are uploaded. A more user friendly drag-and-drop editor would be a great addition to CampaignMonitor. Reporting could use improving, and better integrations for triggered emails would be great.

• Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 10/04/2018
Caleb H.
  • Reviewed on 22/06/2016

"Campaign Monitor is great!"

Comments: I use Campaign Monitor to ease my weekly email blasts and they've been absolutely great. I have used other email campaign and marketing companies before but have always found them to be lacking in many aspects that just work using Campaign Monitor.

Pros: - Email client testing
- Mobile responsiveness
- Fair pricing
- Responsive customer service
- Many templates to choose from
- No section restrictions or image count restrictions (from what I've seen)
- Easy list management
- World view email opens
- Comprehensive reporting

Cons: No free testing tier

• Reviewed on 22/06/2016
Ian A.
Design, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 02/08/2017

"World-class Customer Support"

Comments: Allows us to offer additional services to our clients. if I had to find something I would say that the having so much functionality can be difficult to get to grips with.

Pros: I like the fact we have the ability to offer a white label solution to our clients and can manage all of the accounts from one log-in.

• Reviewed on 02/08/2017
Advisory Board Member
Internet, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/08/2018

"Good newsletter tool"

Comments: Good tool to use for newsletters. Fine free version and good basic model in the paid version as well. But seems like some of the things like sending out e-mails at a certain time in different geographies should be a part of the paid plan in the basic version.

Pros: We have used Campaign Monitor for some time now, and it works well. There is a good overview of the different campaigns you have sent, while there's also possibility for split testing. Does the job on a regular basis.

Cons: Sometimes the interface is not that intuitive. Especially when it comes to understanding the difference between transactional and automatic e-mails.

• Reviewed on 17/08/2018