15 years helping British businesses

About NEOGOV

NEOGOV is a centralized, easy-to-use HR management platform designed for the public sector.

Learn more about NEOGOV

Pros:

I find the product easy to use once you get the hang of it.

Cons:

Reporting can be difficult for those who don't understand table structure and sql script. Transfer of knowledge for system design is an extended process.

NEOGOV ratings

4.3

8.1/10

NEOGOV has an overall rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars based on 396 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used NEOGOV before?

Keion L.
Keion L.
Administrative Analyst in US
Government Administration, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Reliable Applicant Tracking Software

Comments: My overall experience with Neogov has been really good. I love using the software and it has been a good way for us to recruit candidates for all of our job bulletins.

Pros:

What I like most about Neogov is that the system is very easy to learn and use. The layout and design of the software is easy to navigate. I like that Neogov has a online community to support the software and you can pick up the phone and call them if you need real time technical assistance. I have used the system for about 4 years and it has been one of the most reliable that I have ever worked with. I also like that the software is web based.

Cons:

There are some areas in Neogov that do not have the audit trail feature. This is a feature that tracks which user has made changes or completed tasks in the system. Another thing I do not like about Neogov is that some features have to be customized and developed before they can be implemented

Stacey
Human Resources Assistant Director in US

Voice of the Customer Drives Continuous Improvement

Comments: I have been very impressed with the software, customer support, and the demonstrated commitment NEOGOV has to it's products and clients. Innovation never stops!

Pros:

I like that Neogov listens to their users' feedback. They don't just receive comments and recommendations, they use the feedback to constantly improve their customers' experience. Reliable data management and workflows.

Cons:

The enhancements sometimes take a while to implement, but it's to be expected. I'm disappointed in the delay of administrator training for modules like HRIS.

Katie
HR Professional in US
Government Administration, 501–1,000 Employees

There are much better products out there for the same price!

Comments: Not so great. The applicant tracking system is probably their best working program, but is a dinosaur. Their support is awful to say the least.In my opinion, this company needs a new [sensitive content hidden]. They have a great product, but it is not well ran, doesn't put their money into development into current products. Instead, they focus on purchasing new products and leaving their current programs with little money to develop and improve. They have spread themselves too thin with too many suites with too many issues.

Pros:

It is great that it is a full suite of products.

Cons:

Their user roles in Perform, e-Forms, Onboard, and Learn, hinder the usability of the product. For instance, forms can only be completed and assigned for employees if the person completing it is in the hierarchy for the employee. It allows no options for purchasing, procurement, badge creators, etc. to fill out fields on a form, or sign a form, if they are not in the hierarchy. The work around is giving these individuals IT User roles, which gives them way to much access. Basically, we are unable to use the full program due to this limitation. We have addressed with NEOGOV and they explained it is by design and they don't agree there is an issue with this approach.Tasks in Onboard can only be completed and assigned to people in the hierarchy. Again, there are some tasks that others contribute for new hires and those tasks cannot be supported. For instance, someone orders uniforms for employees. They cannot be assigned the task because they are not in the employee's hierarchy.

Meredith
Senior Human Resources Analyst in US
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 501–1,000 Employees

Neogov happy customer

Comments: It is so easy to implement and maintain!

Pros:

Neogov helps us track candidates and hire them. From there, they go straight to onboarding, then perform management

Cons:

None noted at this time. We have been very happy w neogov

Civic & Social Organization, 201–500 Employees

Great suite for HR professionals

Pros:

Insight: This is the product I use the most and it has greatly helped me in my job as a Recruiting Manager. I can take a candidate from the beginning all the way to date of hire in one platform. The functionality is very easy. The process also has features to promote diversity and reduce bias which is VERY important to me and the role I serve in the organization.

Cons:

Customization of the PAF is tricky and I wish there were more work arounds to get this form to look that the one we use in our organization. Specifically, we cannot have gender and ethnicity on our PAFs. Very interesting since you organization is promoting inclusivity.

Tonya
Assistant Director in US
Government Administration, 5,001–10,000 Employees

WVDOT - Harrison

Comments: Overall we have had a great experience, looking to expand modules.

Pros:

The ability to track applicants within our multiple agencies that comprise the WVDOT. The tracking details are a great resource not only for historical purposes but also for training new staff.

Cons:

OHC/Insight lack of communication. The ability to easily pull data from the system to help with our report requests.

Diana
HR Generalist in US
Maritime, 201–500 Employees

NEOGOV - PCCA Experience

Comments: Online applications submitted and processed streamline the process for all HR Team. Online enrollment for all new hire paperwork. Online experience for all learners.

Pros:

It is a very user-friendly system, it is very intuitive. Customer support is always available for internal and external users and administrators.

Cons:

The generality that it has for some features and ensuring they follow up in suggestions of what can be done better as to functionality and features specific to the organization and the industry.

Amie
Human Resources Coordinator in US

Neogov is great!

Comments: Great!

Pros:

Great customer service, easy to use, easy to learn and train new employees.

Cons:

Some basic things aren’t offered currently but I love the idea forum and those are often implemented

Patricia
Talent Acquisition Specialist in US
Government Administration, 501–1,000 Employees

Great product but can use some updatea

Comments: We have begun to use reports more and it is less manual errord

Pros:

Neogov us easy to use and has a friendly yet a bit outdated interface.

Cons:

Sometimes editing posts and 0agea can be confusing and the insight is less user friendly

Joel Neil
Joel Neil
Specialist Recruiter in UK
Media Production, 10,000+ Employees

Essential for Human Resources

Comments: Used a lot time to time, integrated with other products, such as Microsoft products, never failed us.

Pros:

Works so good with integrated modules of both recruiting and developing. Rewarding feature also nice to have, encourages employees to refer someone that know. Also great for looking at the life-cycle of an employee which can be presented to management.

Cons:

The general usage is not so fast, sometimes it is needed to just copy and paste from some data but it doesn't let. So if the limitations can be lifted, it will be perfect.

Marjorie
Supervisor of Programming in US
Information Technology & Services, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Well designed with many features

Comments: The High Line product is well designed and offers many features. It is highly customizable so I think ease of use and customer experience can vary widely depending on how you customize. Once the system is set up it is very easy for the employees to use. The product has many different modules that are used together to create a complete employee picture. These can be added over time. Most records are date effective so you are provided with a very good historical picture as well. High Line has many consultants that can be hired to help with ongoing customization. As a government agency that hosts onsite and does its best to maintain the system in-house, we found that the IT people maintaining the system needed a higher skill set than what we originally planned for. Payroll and HR need someone who is somewhat tech-savvy to understand how the pieces fit together and advise how to best move forward with changes and additions. Value for money depends on how you choose to customize. If a complicated and/or lengthy implementation, it can get pricey but for a more straightforward implementation, it is very cost effective.

Pros:

The database design and how the screens/forms work together; how you can drill down in the screens to get to more info.

Cons:

It is large and a bit of a beast at times. The admin app is Java based which often causes desktop issues. When something goes wrong it requires some skill to figure out what's going on. Often High Line help is needed. Because it is highly customizable, it is impossible for High Line to test their patches and upgrades for all possible ways the system is used so it is left on the using organization to fully test all updates.

NEOGOV Response

7 years ago

Hi Marjorie - Thanks for the review! We are pleased Personality HCM is providing value to your county and would like to address some of your comments. As you are aware, the Personality HCM is now available as a SaaS/hosted solution, delivered entirely over the internet. The Java client is now typically only used by system administrators. This may help with some of the issues your encountering. Also, appreciate your comments about customization, however, note that we have not customized the solution for your county, rather standard configuration tools have been used to make Personality operate uniquely for you. Upgrades are designed to work with client configurations, however, as with any software, configured forms/fields/calculation still need to be tested to ensure they are functioning as expected. We are always available to help, so please do not hesitate to contact support with anything that comes up.

Cori
HR Technician in US
Human Resources, 501–1,000 Employees

NEOGOV hires!!

Comments: For the most part, as a daily NEOGOV user it gets the HR job done. I am able to complete evaluations, onboard, e-forms, and complete tasks all in the same program. It streamlines a variety of recruiting and talent management processes. It saves time because their is no longer paper and it reduces administrative requirements by managing information electronically to the correct departments to be processed. It also helps when onboarding new employees as we can see exactly what forms are being completed before the hire date. NEOGOV is great for managers, hiring managers, HR departments, IT and admin offices!! It gets the job done!

Pros:

NEOGOV is user-friendly platform but I really appreciate the onboarding. It gets the new employees to get all their paperwork done before their initial start date. I appreciate the forms going into the correct portals and being completed all in one central location. Customer service is great too!! They are very engaged in troubleshooting. There is also a separate Support for Applicants so we don't need to spend a lot of time troubleshooting. It makes it easy when new employees are having issues during the onboarding process.

Cons:

Its not always user friendly. Sometimes it hard to explain to others when trying to troubleshoot.

Andrea
Director, Classified Personnel in US
Education Management, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Great for Merit System Organizations

Comments: It meets our needs as an applicant tracking system. There are other pieces that would make our lives easier but for the most part, it provides the non-negotiable elements we need to be effective in our organization.

Pros:

I really like the ability of the system to help facilitate our merit testing process. It gives the ability to attach weights to the various components of the testing process and removes the need to manually manage these calculations. It provides a good audit trail to help provide transparency and also allows us to manage the candidates through the entire recruitment life cycle. The ability to self schedule testing/interviews is great too.

Cons:

I feel their customer service is lacking a bit. When they check in, it doesn't feel as though they actually listen to your concerns. I have had meetings in the past to discuss our experience and takeaways were never followed through with (e.g., NeoGov was to send us a document or pass along concerns). I understand enhancements are not always possible but would appreciate more transparent communication.

Rebecca
HR Business Partner in US

Pros outweigh Cons so far

Comments: Pros outweigh cons overall.

Pros:

NeoGov definitely listens to its users and is constantly providing updates and enhancements to meet user needs. The multiple modules make it easy to get a lot done within one program. Most of our users find the modules user friendly and easy to navigate.

Cons:

As with any software, more customization would be great. A lot of system features are built for processes that our organization doesn't use. This can be confusing for users when we have to tell them to ignore certain features. I think this is true for probably any program that is not 100% custom. Recently the quality of customer support/customer service has gone down significantly. We have been assured by upper management that they are aware of those issues and are actively working to fix things.

Laura
Civil Service Specialist in US
Government Administration, 2–10 Employees

Applicant Tracking Program

Comments: Very user friendly in some aspects, such as tracking applicants and reviewing master profiles, but I wish it expanded some features, such as making the report center more user friendly and being able to search by shorter names/Dates of Birth/Aliases, etc.

Pros:

It easily tracks applicants and where they're at in the hiring process. It also tracks what employee changed a certain disposition/emailed a particular applicant.

Cons:

If I search for an applicant, NeoGov doesn't take into consideration an applicant's maiden name or alias. If I need to attach a document to an application and the document shows a maiden name, I have to sometimes manually search dozens of applications in order to find the correct one. That can be really time consuming when it could easily be updated.

Marisa
HR Tech in US

CS is the best!

Comments: Eforms enabled us push many paper process to electronic during COVID.

Pros:

The customer support team is the best! Knowledgeable, courteous and they follow up in a timely manner. The product managers are engaged with customers, responsive to enhancement requests and work with the engineers to strive to continuously improve their product.

Cons:

It would be great if it were easier to use the rating matrix for oral boards. Our end users find eforms processes confusing, I wish there was a way to improve the end user experience.

Robert
Principal HR Analyst in US

Good not Great

Comments: Overall, insight has allowed me to do my job without many challenges.

Pros:

Overall the product is easy to use and I couldn’t imagine my job without it. However, there are some functions that could be improved. Additionally, some of the updates make it harder rather than easier to use. Proper training and notification would be helpful.

Cons:

Overall I have very little complaints. One small thing is having the ability to print apps in the eligible step.

Gwendoly
Recruitment Project Analyst in US
Government Administration, 10,000+ Employees

Happy Customer... But

Comments: We are overall happy with Insight, but hesitant to expand into other products given the recent pain points.

Pros:

Love the product overall, it's intuitive and easy to use. The majority of the time I have called and asked for assistance, the person on the other line is pleasant and helpful.

Cons:

NEOGOV has expanded to offer more modules, which is great on the surface but we have noticed a decline in the quality of service with the Help Desk. When we discover a glitch, the staff don't have an answer on how to resolve the matter. The follow up has not been great lately.

Project Leader II - Payroll in US
Government Administration, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Still the only software package that allows us to customize the process to our needs

Pros:

The customization of the product to our organizational needs. Instead of adapting to the way a software package works, we were able to customize the package to our policies and needs. Customer support is outstanding in the fact that when we contact them with an urgent need, they will work with us until it is resolved. We have been with High Line since 1999 and have stayed with them after each system review for the functionality that is offered.

Cons:

The only complaint we have had is with the Recruitment Module. Being a government organization, it is difficult to counter all of our recruitment needs to follow our ever changing policies.

Jennifer
Banner Support Specialist - Finance & HR in US
Higher Education, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Still implementing, has potential

Comments: Great people to work with, still implementing

Pros:

Good features for applicant tracking and onbaording

Cons:

Lack of multiple job handling, some things still need work to be best use

Aaron
Human Resources Analyst in US
Human Resources, 201–500 Employees

NeoGov

Comments: My experience with NeoGov has been great. I’ve used other systems working in certain school districts but NeoGov has always been the best software/program to use.

Pros:

Ease of use. Recruitment and selection has a great process when using the exam plans to create questions, schedules interviews, etc.

Cons:

Currently there aren’t any features I’m aware of that I don’t like using.

Tammy
Manager, Payroll & Reporting in Canada
Education Management, 1,001–5,000 Employees

I am the payroll manager but had previously worked in the payroll office for 7 years.

Pros:

I like that we can customize the software to accommodate 5+ different employee groups which have different payroll rules/collective agreements. It allows the user to make their own changes and test to ensure results are what is expected. This software allows the user to make changes to remain compliant with legislation changes, collective agreement changes, etc.

Cons:

It becomes very difficult for new users to learn the "layers" of the product and understand how integrated everything is. IMUCs, Leave Plans and "programming" type work is difficult for succession planning.

Rebecca
Compliance & Privacy Officer in US
Government Administration, 201–500 Employees

Neogov review

Pros:

I am mostly involved with the Learn platform. Assigning and tracking trainings is fairly easy to manage.

Cons:

PowerDMS is not integrated for our policy management. Additional customization would be beneficial. The system doesn't aways function as we'd want it to and has some glitches.

Kasama
HR Manager in US

Review

Pros:

Streamlines processes. Fully electronic.

Cons:

Need to expand or able to customize options to closer match employer processes (ex. Some things we do there are no options in the system for example waiving exams, auto fails, raters entering scores directly jnto neogoc)

Leah
HR Generalist in US
Government Administration, 201–500 Employees

Leah’s review

Comments: So far so good! Some of our less tech savvy managers and employees have a hard time.

Pros:

I appreciate all of the options and abilities to customize.

Cons:

Training is very surface level so there are a lot of features I wasn’t aware of initially.