15 years helping British businesses

About RationalPlan

Assists project managers in developing plans, allocating resources, tracking progress, managing budgets and analyzing workload.

Learn more about RationalPlan

Pros:

It is also easy to integrate and manage multiple projects. Scheduling and tracking of tasks is also a plus with this product.

Cons:

Needs a "facelift", needs to be refreshed, make it more "interactive" (drag and drop functionality).

RationalPlan ratings

4.4
4.5
4.3
4.7

8.6/10

RationalPlan has an overall rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars based on 99 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used RationalPlan before?

nirmal
nirmal
Assistant Manager in India
Construction

Found it better than MS Project for project management!

Comments: I am using Rational Plan as a MS Project substitute and have greatly benefitted by all its features. It helped me manage the tasks better.

Pros:

It is web-based and has better compatibility among different OS, it has similarbut better features than MS Project which include task and Gantt Chart features that the executives work with want to see. It integrates with Outlook, so tasks can be emailed to responsible staff. The export to PDF is great for sharing a snapshot of all the tasks in the entire project along with the Gantt Chart.

Cons:

while exporting to Excel,it loses the formatting. There's no way to set up emails on tasks that are late. The main way to track tasks is by manually entering the percentage of work completed.

Stand By Soft Response

6 years ago

Not sure what product you are using but in the latest version of RationalPlan Cloud it is implemented the late task notification. Just make sure it is activated from the Administration area. Resources can also track their tasks in the My Assignments area by entering their individual actual work and the percentage completion will be automatically computed by the application. Regarding loosing format when exporting to Excel we would appreciate some detailed feedback in order to improve it. Just drop us an email to support.

Howard
UK
Used the Software for: Not provided

Not at all bad for small projects but I am still searching for "the one"!

Comments: As a sole-trader consultant I have been searching for an app that enables me to plan and manage projects that sometimes involve other consultants but sometimes just involve me and a whole load of people who are research subjects. After being led close to suicide by some other PM software (too complex, too "techie", only suitable for people who have nothing else in their lives!) I tried the add-on version of Rational Plan for Google docs and was impressed. So I bought the standalone Multi-Plan version. It worked very well for those projects where there was a good expectation of the steps laid out at the outset actually being the ones that were followed when the project started! The support from the team was excellent and my overall experience was good and I would recommend it to people who are actually running "manageable" projects. Having used it I realised that much of my work does not really fall into this category and, in much of what I am doing , the steps only emerge from the previous steps. In this case, the program is not very useful but I think that would be the case with any PM software I used. My dream is to have a single screen dashboard for all the components of Outlook so that I can see at a glance for a single project who is involved in it and in what capacity, that tasks that they have to do and the timescale, the e-mails associated with the project and the calendar entries for upcoming actions. It is really a cross between PM and CRM. Rational Plan comes close to the PM side of it.

Frank
President in US
Machinery, 11–50 Employees

Franklin Automation

Comments: We have not gotten to the point yet where we are utilizing the resource management tools, but given that we are typically managing 3 - 4 projects at any given time this is definitely the goal. What would be most beneficial at this time is to have some way of entering and accumulating data. Currently I have to set-up project spreadsheets with all of my cost codes down the left margin and dates across the top so that I can enter time sheets and accumulate hours for each job cost code for all projects. With the accumulated sub-totals I can then update my Gantt charts on Rational plan from time to time. It would be great if I could enter this time sheet data directly into Rational Plan instead of having to create and update these summarizing spread sheets.

Pros:

1. Inexpensive 2. Relatively easy to learn 3. Good customer support

Cons:

1. cannot enter raw data; has no way of accumulating time in a given cost code 2. some of the options are confusing (e.g. "always keep assignment units as set" and "try to keep the work when changing resources"...what do these mean???

Stand By Soft Response

7 years ago

RationalPlan can export to a spreadsheet by simplg going to File/Data export menu. The " keep the work when changing resources" option is a Project Management option which indicate the application to recalculate duration of a task when adding resources for example so to keep the amount of work constant

Bill
Bill
Principal, VP/COO in US
Construction, 2–10 Employees

Great project management software.

Comments: My partner and I build large custom homes. By using RationalPlan, we can queue the subs and make the entire process go more quickly. It is a great tool, but like any tool, you have to use it. It is not magic.

Pros:

Intuitive. Easy to learn. Many features (some I have not explored yet).

Cons:

I have not figured out how to have a couple of projects open at the same time. Also have not figured out how to sort entries.

Senior Architect in US
Information Technology & Services, 201–500 Employees

Very Effective Project Management Tool

Comments: I work with a lot of different customers and am constantly importing and exporting project plans (converting from MS Project). RationalPlan allows me to effectively and efficiently work with the plans in this mixed environment. I find it an essential tool for my business.

Pros:

It is a native Mac program that imports and exports MS Project files efficiently.

Cons:

I have had some issues over the years with specific bugs. But to their credit, RationalPlan has always been quick to respond with a resolution to the issues. I still seem to have some issues with the printing format and how it handles logos.

Information Technology & Services

Good alternative to Project

Comments: I have been RationalPlan Multi for several years now. I find it to be a good alternative to MS Project. I have little issue with importing project files that others have worked on. My issue is that it will only save files back out in Project XML format instead of .mpp format. This does make collaborating with others using MS Project difficult at times.

Pros:

Native to the Mac, good interface and easy to use.

Cons:

Does not save files to .mpp

Environmental Services, 10,000+ Employees

Review

Pros:

The software is very easy to pick up. I use this software for smaller project that require professional looking gantt chart but not the bells and whistles of more powerful software like P6. I can very quickly develop a project schedule without issue using this software.

Cons:

The software doesn't have the same level of user created support compared to other more popular software like MS project. If I have a problem with MS project I can usually just google the problem and find something on a forum.

Apparel & Fashion, 201–500 Employees

Great for Multiprojects

Pros:

the collaboration on this software is bar-none. We just finished our free trial and we will definitely be purchasing. Cannot wait to learn more and get access to all of the features.

Cons:

I have no cons about RationalPlan at this time.

Insurance, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Simple tool for project planning and management

Comments: If you're looking for ease-of-use project planning and management tool, this can be it! You can manage multiple projects at the same time, be able to estimate the project durations and costs, and assure that you can stay track on your targets.

Pros:

We're looking for a software for project planning and we ended up using this application. I find this simple and straightforward for our projects. It allows me to create project timelines, build roadmaps (Gantt chart) and other basic functionalities for project planning and management.

Cons:

Couldn't think of any. It fulfilled the needs of our small projects.

Higher Education, 501–1,000 Employees

Solid Project Management Tool

Comments: Students who use a macbook and cannot load MS Project need to rely on a solid management tool to perform their scheduling and cost management. It is a lifesaver for those students who rely on a macbook.

Pros:

The software follows along the same principles of MS Project that helps my students learn the tool quicker. The compatibility to work along side MS Project likewise helps students that work with Macbooks where they cannot load MS Project to their system.

Cons:

The reporting function is not as robust as MS Project.

Laurel
Used the Software for: Not provided

Very nice and easy to use

Comments: My company was looking for a new project management software and RationalPlan kept popping up to the top. I was able to get a demo copy immediately (a big plus) and began using it right away. I was impressed. It was easy to use which is important because many of our end users need to get up and running quickly without a huge learning curve for all the bells and whistles. One of the features I really like is to be able to lock a date on a task or milestone when dependencies are enabled. Our last software kept moving this date which quickly became a nightmare. We needed the dates locked. I recommend this software.

Pros:

Easy to use

Cons:

I was getting an error about having tasks outside the project date range but couldn't find it. It was actually in the Info section for the Estimated Start Date. Once I found this, the errors went away.

Randall
Chief Consultant in Trinidad & Tobago
Management Consulting, 2–10 Employees

Rational Plan Review

Comments: I have been a paid user of rational plan for a number of years. My experience has been nothing but positive. It's more than a cheaper alternative to Microsoft project. It goes almost you're to toe with it. The interface is still not as polished, but they keep improving and their customer service is spot on. I really recommend it to those needing project planning power but want better value for their money.

Pros:

Easy to use. Mimics most of features of Microsoft Project. Great customer service. Good export options.

Cons:

Interface still need work in terms of user friendliness.

Hernan
Program Manager in US
Automotive, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Good management tool

Comments: Good management plan, easy to convert to other platforms.

Pros:

Very easy to set up, and start building up Gantt timings.

Bob
Project Manager in US
Construction, 2–10 Employees

Great Product

Comments: Great alternative to Microsoft Project. Excellent value also. Easy to use and all the features you need.

Pros:

Price and easy to use

Cons:

No issues

Rick

Good MS Project Alrernative

Comments: As a small company, we are always looking for the best value and not necessarily the best known brand. We have been using Rational Plan for about four year, and have been thoroughly satisfied. Having been a MS Project user, I found Rational Plan very familiar with most of the commands located right where I expected them to be. The project import/export was also valuable in allowing us to share schedules with our customers who were MS Prohect users. Customer service was great, all for a fraction of the cost of MS Project.

Ingo
Project manager in Germany
Pharmaceuticals, 501–1,000 Employees

Excellent for medium size project

Comments: Rationalplan I found very useful to track medium sized projects, e.g. when you set up a new production plant and plan for the scheduling of validations and training of people. Easy to align with other project managers and teams e.g. to transfer products from development into production. Interchangeable with other project software you find in different companies. Easy to track different speeds of teamwork. Great software and excellent value for money!

Pros:

Graphical overview, easy to learn.

Arun
Physician in US
Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ Employees

Great Product!

Pros:

Easy to use, very user friendly and excellent for project planning purposes.

Cons:

Honestly, I cannot think of anything that I would change about it.

Stuart
Architect in UK
Architecture & Planning, 2–10 Employees

Good simple project planner

Comments: I picked this up to generate simple programmes for construction projects, and was pleasantly surprised to find it easy to use, and also capable of much more complex task, resource and project management. It has a straightforward interface, and is reasonably intuitive, offering layers of complexity without requiring their complete use. It's one of those packages where the more you use it, the more useful it becomes. Splendid.

Pros:

Low cost. Simple to use. Capable of more complex management if you need that.

Cons:

Control of the graphic output could be better, especially for printing gantt charts.

Marcello
Italy
Internet, 11–50 Employees

all it takes

Comments: I use it to setup a first plan for my projects. So I don't use its full potential, but it has all it takes for me.

Pros:

works on mac

Cons:

I think that MS Project is more powerful

Mallory

RationalPlan

Comments: We use this product to create schedules and timelines for our projects. I've found it helpful as a central location for project info such as scope and budget. We use this to also create gaunt charts and timelines. It is very helpful to get the whole team on the same page, also if the time line shifts it shows where corresponding items will have to shift to.

Renewables & Environment, 2–10 Employees

Simple Scheduling

Pros:

Has all the basic features needed for critical path scheduling and Gantt chart visuals.

Cons:

At times I experience freezes that limit the ability to use the software. The print function is also not as clean as I would like for displaying a gantt.

Neal
Consultant in Singapore
Financial Services

good functional project management software

Comments: I have used RationalPlan for almost a year to design and present projects for existing and potential customers. Entering tasks for WBS and Gantt charts is straightforward with several options presented to schedule and link tasks together. Printing reports to a pdf format has been very useful and enabled a clean Gantt chart presentation.

Pros:

value for money and easy to use; good technical support

Cons:

could have more features such as recurring milestones on a quarterly basis etc.

Jim

Good project manager

Comments: I am not sure project managers as I have seen them is what I am actually looking for . However, of all I have looked at I do like Rational Plan. It has a lot of features well laid out, nice facebook page and decent online manual.

Pros:

Nice layout and features

Cons:

None

Krzysztof
France
Used the Software for: Not provided

Great software for start-up company

Comments: We are using RationalPlan to manage our three big projects. It is really simple and powerful tool for everyone. Lot of options inside give us a choice to precisely control all changes of time line project. Great value for the money you pay.

mike

Business User

Comments: Easy to use. Accesses most resources we were looking for. Would recommend to other business people seeking similar resources. Wish more research software companies would use similar process. Seems like it is up to date.