GoodSync Reviews

• Overall
    4.5 /5
    4.3 /5

About GoodSync

The complete data backup and synchronization solution for businesses of any size.

Learn more about GoodSync

Showing 25 reviews of 86

Edward P.
Retail, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 30/10/2019

"GOOD sync is my favorite backup software!"

Comments: The great benefit to this backup software to others that I have tried is the level of customization. I have my main personal files in a separate location and those are the most important to have backed up in multiple locations. As for the operating system files, I have used my personal file back up more often, as if I have a problem with a computer, I do a fresh install of the Operating system (NOT from backup), and I have my personal files already backed up separately to install on the new install.

Pros: First, GOODSYNC actually copies files faster than windows explorer. I use the program to automatically backup various files to multiple backup hard drives, including cloud drives. I have multiple jobs running, so I can back up certain sets of files to one drive, and others to another drive, all VERY customizable. I have separate storage folders that back up separately, and I also have jobs that backup entire hard drives -- but only files that have changed, so it doesn't have to start from scratch each time. These jobs run automatically, set by the built in scheduler. I also like the option for the program to send an email after each backup, confirming the back up, and alerting me if there are any errors.

Cons: Infrequently, there are errors that I can't understand. (The error reporting may be a bit more complex for my needs.). However, I don't see that as a limit to the software, but a limit for me as a non-expert user. Either way, I can see the file that wasn't copied and can filter and/or fix the program so it can be copied, or by-passed if necessary. Usually this happens with temp files that I don't actually need backed up. (There is also a filter to keep from copying these, but I haven't used it. That would probably solve my problem before I would have one.)

• Reviewed on 30/10/2019
Administration, Finance and Control Plant Manager
Pharmaceuticals, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/06/2020

"Perfect tool to selectively backup and sync data"

Comments: GoodSync is one of the most complete solutions for selective backups and folder sync across local networks. It provide a classic 2 sides interface (sources > destinations) and a bunch of parameters and checks to perform file validation during reading-writing processes. Recommended as an alternative to cloud sync services within LAN.

Pros: Fine tuned tool for selective backups and folder sync
Several triggers can be set up
Impressively detailed time scheduling for periodic activities
Supports syncs and backups across network devices

Cons: Not for non experienced users
GUI is improvable
Maybe a wizard could help to make it more user-friendly

• Reviewed on 11/06/2020
Community Manager (remote)
  • Reviewed on 08/04/2018

"Instead of saving data on 2-3 places, I can sync different clouds, save spaces."

Comments: The software is great, but once I format my computer and reinstall it, it again asks for license and I've to contact customer support, but I am hopeful this will be resolved soon, and you'll link the license to my IP. It saves a lot of time for me. I love the easy to delete function that features with this software.

Pros: Everything that I need about my backup data. I desperately needed to sync it to cloud and back to my PC without any other software installation. GoodSync does it. I never delete the files here, just to be sure that I don't need them anymore. I can customize sync options to different hard drives and that's the part I love most.

Cons: It took me too long to set up as it is pretty slow in getting installed. Free utilities are also present, but with same features, and automatic exception handling can really cause problem sometimes. One of my files was deleted not to be found again :-(

by Siber Systems on 10/04/2018

We're very sorry to hear about your file. Regarding both the lost file and the setup time, please feel free to contact our support team if you haven't already. A representative is always more than happy to assist. Thank you! https://www.goodsync.com/php/gsss/main?lang=en

• Reviewed on 08/04/2018
Network Engineer
  • Reviewed on 09/10/2018

"GoodSync is a great way to implement a 3-2-1 backup solution."

Comments: GoodSync is a great file backup management application that makes it easy to backup my files.

Pros: GoodSync allows me to backup by computers to my NAS and to my Cloud Storage provider Backblaze without hassle. I can easily set it up for unattended backup and have email alerts sent in case of a problem. Also it works on Linux!

Cons: I don't have any issues with the software, but the settings could be a bit more descriptive to ensure I know what they do.

• Reviewed on 09/10/2018
Ronald V.
Supervisor
Retail, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/03/2019

"Reliable File Syncing/Backup"

Comments: Backup, backup, backup. I use this to keep a redundant backup going between a NAS Drive and 2 external backup drives. The best software I have ever bought.

Pros: - Backup options
- Sync options
- Delayed sync/backup
- Sync, files, folders, external drives

Cons: I have yet to find anything bad to say about this software

• Reviewed on 05/03/2019
Scott L.
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 03/01/2020

"GoodSync is best backup software I've ever tried"

Comments: I've tried a lot of tools for backing up to an external drive, and GoodSync is by far the best one I've used. Other backup software has been prone to errors (not acceptable for a backup tool!) or lock you into a backup format that only permits a full-blown restore of the whole disk. A full-blown restore might be okay if you created the backup yesterday and your original disk completely crashes today, but that's not how I intend to use it. I want to be able to retrieve just the files I want, without risking overwriting newer versions of the files on my original disk.

Pros: GoodSync does a great job for me of backing up to an external hard drive. The first backup of a large set of data (100GB or more) takes a while, but that is mostly about the transfer speed of your USB 3.0 port and computer. GoodSync reports progress accurately by showing percent complete, transfer speed in MB/second, and shows the list of files being transferred. Future backups to the same external drive go very quickly, because GoodSync first compares the original disk to the backup and only transfers the files that have changed. The user interface is straightforward. You set up each job as either a backup (one way transfer from original disk to a backup disk) or a sync (two way transfer, so that both disks have only the most up to date files.) The backup drive is searchable with Windows Explorer file and folder system, so you can retrieve only the files you need when you need them.

Cons: GoodSync gets a new version update frequently (weekly? monthly? I'm not sure) without making any noticeable changes. The software prompts me to update the version almost every time I use it, which is slightly annoying because updating to the new version takes a few minutes before I can actually run the backup. I recommend that GoodSync should either make it more obvious why the update should be worthwhile (security enhancement, debug, user interface enhancement, etc.) so users are more incentivized to perform the update, or otherwise hold off for a few months at a time between releasing updates that provide no apparent improvement.

• Reviewed on 03/01/2020
Chester G.
Printing, 2-10 Employees

"Comments from PVP"

Comments: It has been reasonable, one time when we had problems it was quite frustrating as it seemed almost impossible to just be able to call and get hands on help, but I think I finally was able to talk to a person. I understand your system, but sometimes when your problem is complex, it needs to be talked through but I eventually was able to do that.

Pros: It is reasonably priced and generally works well behind the scenes.

Cons: We have had a few issues where we would lose the licensing, and have to get it authorized again, it updates quite often which isn't really a big deal, but unless there are real improvements, would actually prefer it to be updated less. We were using Cubby, which works more as a central on the cloud system, that keeps all users updated, whereas this one works peer to peer, which doesn't seem to be quite as good. However, we have made it work.

Hany A.
Product Manager
Computer Hardware, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/10/2019

"A Great backup and Sync software that replaces a DAS"

Pros: Flawless, manual or Automatic (Scheduled or on change) Synchronisation;
it can replace a Direct attached storage with RAID 1 configuration;
it also displays a summary of the changes from the source to the destination with plenty of criteria like propagate deletions at destination, or choose to leave any deleted file at destination, or even keep the deleted files for a certain period of time in case they are needed again;
can be scheduled to automatically synchronise source with destination upon file change or new file addition;
multiple Synchronisation or backup jobs can be created;

Cons: it is not easy to arrange the jobs in the required order

• Reviewed on 14/10/2019
Thomas R.
  • Reviewed on 06/11/2017

"Superb software for the money. It does exactly what it says, and I have yet to see an issue with it."

Pros: Support has been excellent. Superb software for the money. It does exactly what it says, and I have yet to see an issue with it. Updates are prompt, work, and simply do their part to manage the backups.

Cons: So far, there have been no noticeable cons to this software. It's not free, but then again, free usually isn't worthwhile.

• Reviewed on 06/11/2017
Mirco B.
Engineer
Civil Engineering, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 17/06/2019

"GoodSync...is simple the best!"

Pros: This software can do all things that you want for a sync software. Is very symple to use and to configure. Also work between web so this is a must!

Cons: I can made a lot of sync programation and i can use in multiple pc station dislocated in multy placement.

Chief Information Officer
Architecture & Planning, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/10/2017

"Works as advertised"

Pros: Speed, configurability, Cloud Connections, visibility into what it's processing, works in the background, easy to setup

Cons: The inability to start and stop jobs based on a time schedule. Inability to have multiple clients syncing from the same drive/folder without having to re-analyse every time.

• Reviewed on 31/10/2017
Ziya B.
System Engineer
Nonprofit Organization Management, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/06/2019

"GoodSync"

Pros: User interface very friendly and have a lot of features.

Cons: both of site replication should be more easy and understandable because this part of application really very complex..

• Reviewed on 14/06/2019
Scott T.
Associate IT Director
Design, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 08/08/2018

"Good backup software at a reasonable price"

Pros: Byte level copy.
Fast copying.
Works on Mac.

Cons: Interface is hard to understand.
Only ticket system support.
Hard to troubleshoot errors.

• Reviewed on 08/08/2018
David B.
Computer systems administor
  • Reviewed on 15/02/2018

"great for syncing 2 computers"

Comments: great backup solution

Pros: easy to sync for cloud or to another pc. Checks folders for syncing new files. easy to setup and great interface

Cons: Workstation and server licensing is different even though they use same software, could load folder with lots of files and folders faster.

• Reviewed on 15/02/2018
Personal Use
Accounting, Self Employed
  • Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 12/11/2019

"Waste of Money - Terrible Customer Service"

Comments: Useless tech support and a flaky app that stops working when you upgrade your hardware. Tech support cannot resolve the issue.

Pros: GoodSync is easy to use and it did the job.

Cons: I upgraded my SSD on my computer and this was the only application to stop functioning upon completing the task. It just wouldn't run. Tech support kept telling me to try again but it never resolved the problem. I asked for a supervisor to contact me by phone so we could step thru the process of what was happening but they wouldn't do do that. I can no longer run the program I paid for.

• Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 12/11/2019
Paul K.
Manager, IS
  • Reviewed on 22/01/2018

"Software performs as advertised"

Pros: It works without intervention. We can install, set to run as a service and forget it. You can choose automatic exception handling as well.

Cons: Could be a bit faster on folders with loads of files, but that is to be expected, we are talking a directory tree structure with thousands of folders and million files.

• Reviewed on 22/01/2018
Julie L.
Director of Client Success
  • Reviewed on 20/04/2018

"I mainly use GoodSync because OneDrive Sync is so unreliable."

Pros: I like that I can use Dropbox to sync all my laptops and then I use GoodSync to sync specific drives back to my company OneDrive.

Cons: I was forced to upgrade to keep the OneDrive sync feature. I purchase this with my personal funds so I would prefer not to be forced into ugrades.

by Siber Systems on 24/04/2018

Hi Julie - thank you for taking the time to review GoodSync. Regarding OneDrive, it was originally offered as a beta feature for an upcoming version. Subsequently, once GoodSync 10 was released, upgrades were required in order to maintain this feature. With that being said, we certainly understand the need to stick to a budget and we're happy to offer discounted upgrades when possible. Please do not hesitate to contact us regarding pricing should a future upgrade arise.

• Reviewed on 20/04/2018
Ethan C.
Tool Crib Extraordinair
  • Reviewed on 01/04/2018

"Goodsync is great"

Pros: What I like most about Goodsync is that it is always reliable when backing up my files. I don't have to worry.

Cons: The thing I like least about Goodsync is that it is slower then the rest. Not sure if it is my connection or the program.

by Siber Systems on 04/04/2018

Thanks for taking the time to review GoodSync! If you're experiencing slow transfer speeds, please contact our technical support team so they may investigate. Thank you! https://www.goodsync.com/php/gsss/main?lang=en

• Reviewed on 01/04/2018
CTO
Media Production, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/11/2018

"Avoid"

Comments: That software is not doing the job for us and we had to set it up a weird way so that it can handle a basic workflow such as pushing a file from location A to B

Pros: Look like it can do a lot of things on th paper but that's it

Cons: Advertised as working on linux but cannot even handle a basic samba network share (for a backup solution....) and of course not advertised such

by Siber Systems on 28/11/2018

Hello - we'd love to address the workflow issues you're experiencing. In order for us to better do so, please submit the specifics related to Linux and any other file backup and synchronization issues you're having via a ticket to our support team.Thank you. http://bit.ly/1L9QELn

• Reviewed on 27/11/2018
Austin G.
Cloud Delivery Engineer
  • Reviewed on 20/11/2018

"Sync Works as expected"

Pros: The ease of use and setup/configuration.

Cons: Have to use GoodSync Connect for optimal performance. In our case, we had to go through a VPN tunnel.

• Reviewed on 20/11/2018
Joel L.
Computer & Network Security, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/06/2019

"Very intelligent and feature rich syncing tool"

Comments: Syncing files is huge these days and GoodSync has provided me a solution to sync files without storing files in public cloud storage. As well, for the files I do keep in public cloud storage, I can back them up. Long time user and big fan.

Pros: I feel safe syncing files with GoodSync because of the smart algorythms for comparing files. As well there are fail-safes built in (optional) that will backup files that are deleted. I have never needed them but it is good to know they are there. The software comes in handy all the time. It integrates with your cloud accounts to back them up and via their GoodSync Connect I can easily sync files over the Internet. I have used it for years and it has provided an easy solution to many types of problems.

Cons: The server version of GoodSync is high priced.

IT System Engineer
  • Reviewed on 05/03/2018

"Easy to use product that gets the job done"

Comments: saved us alot of time and actually worked better than expected for the doctor.

Pros: Using this product with the built in scheduler and it works very well now for several years. Implementation was simple as it does compare new to already existing files that you already have in the directories. I setup a simple task for the radiologist here and he was very happy with the way it synced up the data for him in both realtime and on a schedule. Overall I would recommend this product to anyone. Shows you a list of what was copied too that is quite nice.

Cons: Some of the tasks can be kind of complicated to setup. You have to think about the file extensions and how you want to setup the transfer and where it will reside. Takes some trial work to get things going sometimes that what I am saying.

• Reviewed on 05/03/2018
Daniel B.
Dir of Ops - datacenters
Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/06/2019

"Solved our problem - reliably"

Comments: We had a unique situation where remote locations in central/south america all needed to sync files securely into our repository for reporting purposes. Given that none of the entities involved would allow inbound connections, and that the data was 'sensitive' in nature, we needed a solution that would be reliable, automated, secure, etc. and that would 'phone home' on a regular schedule.
Problem solved.

Pros: Reliable - it is able to xfer files over the worst connections, and do so reliably and accurately. Never had any problems with corruption.
Flexible - we can configure just about any parameter needed to setup a bi-directional sync, or just a backup.
Easy - being able to select which files and folders, browse local and remote directories, etc. is all intuitive.

Cons: Rarely - but on 0ccasion, we would get a sync conflict that causes the process to stop. It would be nice if it had the ability to realize it was hung (hadn't progressed in 24 hours or whatever) and restart. But this has been less that half-dozen times in 3 years across 25 remote locations.

IT Consultant
  • Reviewed on 05/04/2019

"Goodsync is a great tool for syncing servers and the cloud"

Comments: Syncing a PC folder to a server folder, syncing a server folder to a different server folder, syncing from a PC or server folder to cloud storage (using the local display of cloud contents) available when using cloud storage platforms like Dropbox, OneDrive or Sharepoint.

Pros: Easy to configure software; extremely reliable. With the personal edition, as long as your PC can see the source and the target, you can sync between both sides. I lover the auto scheduling of the sync. Warning messages are also helpful. Finally running as a background service allows a PC to act as the broker to sync between servers, PC's and cloud storage (like Dropbox) and PC to PC.

Cons: Really nothing. The software works as advertised and is reasonably priced for performing a very specific type of task - syncing (one-way or bi-directional) between a source and a target file folder.

• Reviewed on 05/04/2019
Michael B.
  • Reviewed on 22/09/2019

"Really perfect for keeping files in sync"

Comments: Keeping local copies of network files on notebooks in sync.

Pros: On our computers I literally have to keep hundreds of gigabytes in sync. GoodSync is almost perfect in this. If wanted, it syncs in the background. E. g. we use Nextcloud as our cloud storage. It works tremendpusly together with it.

Cons: License shifting is a bit difficult since when you want to port a license to a new computer due to hardware change, always ALL licenses of the same purchase have to be reactivated.

• Reviewed on 22/09/2019