Solved our problem - reliably

Daniel B.
Dir of Ops - datacenters
Information Technology & Services, 10,001+ Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We had a unique situation where remote locations in central/south america all needed to sync files securely into our repository for reporting purposes. Given that none of the entities involved would allow inbound connections, and that the data was 'sensitive' in nature, we needed a solution that would be reliable, automated, secure, etc. and that would 'phone home' on a regular schedule.
Problem solved.

Pros: Reliable - it is able to xfer files over the worst connections, and do so reliably and accurately. Never had any problems with corruption.
Flexible - we can configure just about any parameter needed to setup a bi-directional sync, or just a backup.
Easy - being able to select which files and folders, browse local and remote directories, etc. is all intuitive.

Cons: Rarely - but on 0ccasion, we would get a sync conflict that causes the process to stop. It would be nice if it had the ability to realize it was hung (hadn't progressed in 24 hours or whatever) and restart. But this has been less that half-dozen times in 3 years across 25 remote locations.

It's What The Name Says: Good!

Reviewed on 13/02/2017
Joshua E.
Creative Director
E-Learning, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: This software caters to a small niche, and it caters to it well! (Or, "good."). I have yet to find a backup/syncing software that is both powerful and easy. Honestly, I have yet to find many that work  period! While Goodsync is a paid option, it's ridiculously affordable as far as software goes. I highly recommend!

Pros: Cheap. Highly affordable. Customizable (e.g. Create routines, specific sync jobs, etc...) Updated CONSTANTLY. (I don't even say this exaggeratively: I think this software receives more frequent updates than any I know. Which is reassuring with software that you're trusting with daily automated tasks  especially ones likely involving the backup of your life's data.)

Cons: While I think the UI is pretty outstanding relative to the challenge it's trying to solve, it can still be daunting at times. When you're reviewing the sync analysis for thousands upon thousands of files, it seems like there might be a slightly better way to display things to the user to inform them of important notices, etc...

A MUST for everyone backups made EASY!

Reviewed on 14/09/2018
Sherry F.
Project Analyst
E-Learning, 201-500 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: My life is better with this software. I have never had a bad experience. I am constantly recommending it. I believe everyone should own it. If your hard drive crashes, you are screwed... unless you back up regularly. Good Sync only updates the most recent file. There is no need to resave a file that has not changed, so the process is very fast.

Pros: This software is simply amazing! The user interface is easy to understand, no instructions needed. Simply browse to select folders. Sync in either direction, exclude specific files or file types. Very easy to customize how to handle. Create multiple tabs allowing more specific customization of your back-up. I do mine daily - onto a flash drive, and I have 4 tabs... one of which pulls files from another computer in my network at home. The cost is minimal, but the benefit is worth it's weight in gold.

Cons: Nothing.... I have used it for 15 years now... only wish I discovered it before then!

The only tool that is required for Sync and Backup

Reviewed on 23/06/2018
IT Application Developer
Hospitality
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: When we have too much data it is really easy to forget back up or sync. We also need to keep track manually of the changed files and update. In some cased it can be easily overlooked. Having a software like GoodSync, we don't really have do any manual tracking. It takes care of comparing and we just have to choose what actions needs to be taken. Saves a lot of time and make the whole process easy.

Pros: -Both Backup and Sync can be done. No need to have different tools for different jobs.
-Synchronizing tool is very powerful and accurate
-There is built support to sync with many cloud storage accounts (google drive, onedrive, box etc)
-Portable version of the software is handy as it can be used in many computers. (the price is slight higher)
-Ability to save sync or back jobs is very convenient and being able to group is quite nice.
-I have 9 hard disks and i back up and sync between all of them using GoodSync. It is really fast and makes the easily done.

Cons: -User Interface for synchronization can be improved.
It took some time to realize how exactly it works so first time users can find it a bit difficult.
The way the data represented (conflicts, copy left to right and vice versa) and also the action that needs to be taken presented in a better way. This is not really a bad thing as once understood or after using it for a while it be very easy to use. People who have used tools compare and merging tools will not have any issue.

It can compare two directories and automatically copy new files, and keep the folders in sync.

Reviewed on 12/03/2018
Malik A.
None
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: GoodSync 10 is a reliable application that can help you back up your important data automatically and on regular basis without much effort. Support for batch processing ensures that this application can handle multiple sync jobs together.

Pros: The UI of the application is simple and clean, and one can easily get used to it with little time and effort.
The application offers to create two different types of backup jobs to suit the needs of the users. Backup job only modifies files in the output directory, and includes hidden and system files by default. Synchronization job changes the files on both sides, so any changes made to any of the folders is synced to the other one. This option excludes system files by default.
You can sync files and folders from remote computers using FTP or SFTP.
You can also sync folders and files located on GoodSync Connect, Windows Shares, WebDAV, Amazon S3, Google Drive, Windows Azure, Amazon Cloud Drive, SkyDrive or WinMobile ,OneDrive Office 365 and Box.com, BackBlaze B2.
The application makes use of end-to-end AES with 256-bit key encryption to ensure safer backups.
Using P2P method for backup increases backup speeds by many times making even bigger backups very quick.

Cons: P2P method for backup should increase the speeds significantly, however, this isn't the case here. It is actually slower than many other similar applications.

by Siber Systems on 13/03/2018

Hi Malik - Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. If you can please submit evidence of P2P definitely investigate ASAP. http://bit.ly/1L9QELn

Goodsync is a great tool for syncing servers and the cloud

Reviewed on 05/04/2019
IT Consultant
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Syncing a PC folder to a server folder, syncing a server folder to a different server folder, syncing from a PC or server folder to cloud storage (using the local display of cloud contents) available when using cloud storage platforms like Dropbox, OneDrive or Sharepoint.

Pros: Easy to configure software; extremely reliable. With the personal edition, as long as your PC can see the source and the target, you can sync between both sides. I lover the auto scheduling of the sync. Warning messages are also helpful. Finally running as a background service allows a PC to act as the broker to sync between servers, PC's and cloud storage (like Dropbox) and PC to PC.

Cons: Really nothing. The software works as advertised and is reasonably priced for performing a very specific type of task - syncing (one-way or bi-directional) between a source and a target file folder.

Easy to use product that gets the job done

Reviewed on 05/03/2018
IT System Engineer
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: saved us alot of time and actually worked better than expected for the doctor.

Pros: Using this product with the built in scheduler and it works very well now for several years. Implementation was simple as it does compare new to already existing files that you already have in the directories. I setup a simple task for the radiologist here and he was very happy with the way it synced up the data for him in both realtime and on a schedule. Overall I would recommend this product to anyone. Shows you a list of what was copied too that is quite nice.

Cons: Some of the tasks can be kind of complicated to setup. You have to think about the file extensions and how you want to setup the transfer and where it will reside. Takes some trial work to get things going sometimes that what I am saying.

Very intelligent and feature rich syncing tool

Reviewed on 21/06/2019
Joel L.
Computer & Network Security, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Syncing files is huge these days and GoodSync has provided me a solution to sync files without storing files in public cloud storage. As well, for the files I do keep in public cloud storage, I can back them up. Long time user and big fan.

Pros: I feel safe syncing files with GoodSync because of the smart algorythms for comparing files. As well there are fail-safes built in (optional) that will backup files that are deleted. I have never needed them but it is good to know they are there. The software comes in handy all the time. It integrates with your cloud accounts to back them up and via their GoodSync Connect I can easily sync files over the Internet. I have used it for years and it has provided an easy solution to many types of problems.

Cons: The server version of GoodSync is high priced.

Comments from PVP

Reviewed on 17/06/2019
Chester G.
Printing, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: It has been reasonable, one time when we had problems it was quite frustrating as it seemed almost impossible to just be able to call and get hands on help, but I think I finally was able to talk to a person. I understand your system, but sometimes when your problem is complex, it needs to be talked through but I eventually was able to do that.

Pros: It is reasonably priced and generally works well behind the scenes.

Cons: We have had a few issues where we would lose the licensing, and have to get it authorized again, it updates quite often which isn't really a big deal, but unless there are real improvements, would actually prefer it to be updated less. We were using Cubby, which works more as a central on the cloud system, that keeps all users updated, whereas this one works peer to peer, which doesn't seem to be quite as good. However, we have made it work.

The best synchronisation software available.

Reviewed on 17/01/2018
Chief Executive Officer
Retail, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Reliable backup to cloud and synchronisation between sites and to laptops.

Pros: Reliable synchronisation allowing good automation options, filtering and an excellent choice of target clouds.

Cons: Inability to synchronise the same set of data simultaneously means that complex setups have lots of failures until a job "gets its slot". In particular backup jobs should be bale to run without locking everything.

by Siber Systems on 22/01/2018

Hi there - thank you for taking the time to provide a review. Locking GoodSync job root files/folders is imposed so the folders / files we are syncing / backing up are not altered during the process. If any changes happen during this lock, they will be picked up when the next sync / backup job runs. Removing this lock is not recommended, but it can be done. Under Left / Right side of GoodSync job Options, check the box "No GS_Data folder here". Again, please note, that we do not recommend removing this lock.

GoodSync has been working very well for me for several years.

Reviewed on 10/01/2018
Michael B.
Editor
Online Media, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Automated backups and consolidated cloud storage software.

Pros: I've been using GoodSync for all kinds of automated local and cloud backups for several years. Any issues I've run into have been minor and when I've contacted customer support they're usually very good about getting back to me with fixes and update me regularly. It's very versatile and reliable software that is pretty easy to set up.

Cons: When updating to new versions automatically, the software sometimes fails and you need to re-install the update manually. Not a huge deal but kind of annoying that it still happens from time to time.

Awful. Complete waste of money.

Reviewed on 23/08/2017
David S.
User
Law Practice, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I developed great experience with debugging and anger management. It inspired me to scout the market for other solutions, and it encouraged me to learn rsync as a substitute.

Pros: It's easy to delete. That's about the best thing I can say: it can be removed by simply dropping it in the trash.

Cons: I have used GoodSync on and off for several years. Here's my typical experience: * I install the latest version of GoodSync. * I encounter various intermittent errors. * I delete GoodSync and use another solution. Why do I keep going back? Because I paid for it, and I cling to the hope that they will eventually make it *minimally* effective. No dice. It remains as much garbage as it was when I purchased it. Examples: * Locks up while attempting to sync to a folder. Just becomes totally unresponsive. The process needs to be killed, and often the machine rebooted, to recover from the lockup. * "Undefined Error: 0." Constantly. This is GoodSync's version of "An error occurred." Don't bother emailing GoodSync customer support - they don't know and won't help you. * Sync jobs just fail, spontaneously, mid-sync. The sync is running perfectly, the volumes are both still available... and it abruptly stops. * The network browser is overdesigned and overcomplicated. All you want do is to specify a URL, a username, and a password. Sometimes it accepts the settings. Sometimes it just retains the old settings, and barfs out random error messages. I give up. They are never going to make this software to minimal usability. I have scoured all of my computer systems of this bloated trashware. Don't make the same mistake I did. Don't waste your time, and don't give this developer money. You will regret every dime and every moment you spend on this garbage.

by Siber Systems on 24/08/2017

Hi David - We have escalated your support ticket and we have reached out in an attempt to resolve the issues listed in your feedback.

Instead of saving data on 2-3 places, I can sync different clouds, save spaces.

Reviewed on 08/04/2018
Community Manager (remote)
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: The software is great, but once I format my computer and reinstall it, it again asks for license and I've to contact customer support, but I am hopeful this will be resolved soon, and you'll link the license to my IP. It saves a lot of time for me. I love the easy to delete function that features with this software.

Pros: Everything that I need about my backup data. I desperately needed to sync it to cloud and back to my PC without any other software installation. GoodSync does it. I never delete the files here, just to be sure that I don't need them anymore. I can customize sync options to different hard drives and that's the part I love most.

Cons: It took me too long to set up as it is pretty slow in getting installed. Free utilities are also present, but with same features, and automatic exception handling can really cause problem sometimes. One of my files was deleted not to be found again :-(

by Siber Systems on 10/04/2018

We're very sorry to hear about your file. Regarding both the lost file and the setup time, please feel free to contact our support team if you haven't already. A representative is always more than happy to assist. Thank you! https://www.goodsync.com/php/gsss/main?lang=en

A product that does what it says - most of the time

Reviewed on 17/06/2019
Grant M.
Manager, Systems/IT
Wholesale, 201-500 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We do rely on the product as an alternative to One Drive, which we found to be completely unreliable.
GoodSync is far more reliable, documents the work it is doing really well, and provides mechanisms to overcome issues more robustly.

Pros: The interface is great - comprehensive, giving you the details of what's going on
Performance is great - doing live syncs happens quickly and does not degrade performance noticeably

Cons: Integration with One Drive is not reliable. At times the connection breaks and the syncing stops.
The Central Management of clients also does not work when using a One Drive as a target for syncing.

by Siber Systems on 19/06/2019

Hi Grant - thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We have passed this information along to our support team for further review.

Source and Target Directory scanning gets slower.

Reviewed on 03/07/2019
Suraj S.
Sr. Team Lead - Cloud Infra
Financial Services, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Backup small KB sized data files to other disk and S3 bucket of AWS.

Pros: The software is Easy of Implementation and very Robust.

Cons: Becomes slow when scanning file list at S3 bucket (has 1million files) when syncing from local to s3 bucket. It scans full list every time that takes 2 hours even when the bucket is used to just put file to s3 with no writes from other source.

by Siber Systems on 11/07/2019

HI Suraj - thank you for reaching out and providing feedback on your use of GoodSync. Regarding the issue you're experiencing, please open a support ticket by going to Help >> Contact Support. Create a support ticket from the GoodSync installation that is actually running that you describe in the issue. Once received, our team will review the log file, troubleshoot, and assist. Thank you!

GoodSync is a great way to implement a 3-2-1 backup solution.

Reviewed on 09/10/2018
Network Engineer
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: GoodSync is a great file backup management application that makes it easy to backup my files.

Pros: GoodSync allows me to backup by computers to my NAS and to my Cloud Storage provider Backblaze without hassle. I can easily set it up for unattended backup and have email alerts sent in case of a problem. Also it works on Linux!

Cons: I don't have any issues with the software, but the settings could be a bit more descriptive to ensure I know what they do.

a robust tool

Reviewed on 30/07/2018
Francis A.
manager
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: when the product is set you can trust him completely. The number of options can satisfy most needs, even the most complex. Backup or synchronizations finally become reliable.

Cons: Some minor translation errors for the French version, but nothing insurmountable.

by Siber Systems on 31/07/2018

Thanks for the heads up about the translation issues! If it's not too much of a bother and you don't mind sending them our way, we'll gladly update. If so, you can submit them here: http://bit.ly/1L9QELn. Thanks again!

After extensively trying GoodSync and other similar syncing software, I have found the app to marry.

Reviewed on 01/11/2017
IT Operations | System Administrator | Digital Graphics Director
Internet, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: My stuff is in perfect sync and so are my backup drives!

Pros: I like its ease of use. Menu design, the option control is probably my favorite because I am very technical so I need the control over everything and all know what it's talking about.

Cons: I can't say there's anything that I don't like. It syncs FTP, Cloud, physical drives, I mean everything with speed an precision. I suppose it can have a more simplified user interface?

This program is a Godsend!

Reviewed on 10/03/2018
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: This program is a godsend. I have a MyCloud, a personal cloud storage device. I wanted to back it up to Dropbox, so that I had my items saved in two places for protection, especially as the MyCloud is kept running all the time. No other program allowed me to backup to Dropbox from a networked drive. It's fast, it's easy. It does what it says it does. Setting things up could not be easier, and it's so nice to be able to pick and choose what folders to save, so you can wait on longer uploads for another time if you just want to do an emergency backup. 10 stars!

Cons: Sometimes it can be a little buggy and try to overwrite items that aren't new. So you have to go and select "Same name, diff time" or whatever that option is, and mark to not upload those. It would be nice if it could automatically check and not upload things that haven't changed, that way you don't have to stop a sync in progress to go back and skip things. It might even be possible, honestly, I just haven't found the right combination of settings to make that work yet. :)

Reliable syncing software saves so much time

Reviewed on 22/12/2018
Darren M.
web developer
Online Media, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: - cuts out the middle man and saves so much time syncing files from one hard drive/decive to another
- if a file changes in one destination, it will update the file in second destination automatically again, saving time and effort
- once set up, no need to "turn on" or "log in" as such, syncing will occur automatically

Cons: - syncing to cloud solutions can be slow.
- learning curve to set up, can take alot of time/concentration if unfamiliar with this style of software however once set up you are good to go!

GoodSync Enterprise backup software is truly a great product, reliable, versatile and efficient!

Reviewed on 01/11/2017
Tony M.
I.T. Consultant
Computer Networking, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Reliable backups with great features.

Pros: It provides a number of target options for backup. You can backup or sync to a local drive, a Server, web or to any Windows based device.

Cons: The software is great. However, when you uninstall it for the purpose of installing it on another system, it does not decrement the license count. You have to contact SiberSystems to reset the install count.

GoodSync - Does Not Sync Extended Attributes and Tech Support Is Rude and Uninformed

Reviewed on 21/02/2019
Donald C.
Technology Arcitect (Retired)
Information Technology & Services, 10,001+ Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: GoodSync has a slick website that promises a critical feature that they can't deliver and thier tech support is rude, unhelpful and technically out-of-date. Applications from other companies support syncing Mac extended attributes over SMB to a NAS albeit with a worse UI and poor documentation. I really wanted to like this product and even offered a suggestion for a workaround but they weren't interested. Here is one response a GoodSynch tech to a carefully crafted question from me that contained relevant log entries and observations. All of his responses were similar, no matter what information I provided. Tech:
yes, you NAS does not support any such thing.
you need to backup on Mac to actual disk formatted by Mac.
NAS is not a Mac at all.

Pros: GoodSync has a good UI that is intuitive and the manual is excellent. Simple file syncronization tasks are easy to setup and can be easily autimated if needed.

Cons: The GoodSync website clearly states that Mac extended attributes are preserved during file syncronization. This is absolutely not true if you want to sync to or from network attached storage devices (NAS). I engageded thier tech support team and provided them with detailed information concerning the problem and was answered by someone using incomplete sentences saying that I couldn't sync from a NAS using SMB because MAC extended attributes were not supported by SMB which hasn't been true for several years. I politely pressed the point and tried to get the request escalated but the tech just blew it off. I reported this unbeleivably rude and poorly informed tech to the company and received a refund and a statement that they have problems getting SMB to work.

by Siber Systems on 25/02/2019

Hi Donald - we're very sorry to hear you had such a poor experience, and we want to assure you that we take technical issues, as well as specific requests very seriously. If you can please reply with your email address or ticket number, we will ensure it is properly escalated and addressed. Thank you.

Excellent software to sync file between PC and cloud

Reviewed on 06/02/2018
Prakash B.
IT Security Manager
Customer Support

Pros: Goodsync can sync files between PCs or PC to cloud with no other software needed.
Good auditing of all activity
Option to keep multiple versions and deleted files
It can run as a service

Cons: Workstation and server licensing is different even though they use same software.
Difficult to keep up with version changes. (Good problem to have)

Reviewed on 06/11/2017
Thomas R.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Support has been excellent. Superb software for the money. It does exactly what it says, and I have yet to see an issue with it. Updates are prompt, work, and simply do their part to manage the backups.

Cons: So far, there have been no noticeable cons to this software. It's not free, but then again, free usually isn't worthwhile.

Always a solid product!

Reviewed on 31/10/2017
Board Member
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Simple - it does the job, both to sync and copy.

Pros: Easy to set up with an intuitive interface. Can either backup files to another volume or synchronize files between two volumes.

Cons: The enterprise version seemed quite expensive as compared to the standard version, especially since I'm simply copying files from one server to a second.