HotSchedules Reviews

• Overall
    4.4 /5
    4.2 /5
    4.2 /5

About HotSchedules

Transform your scheduling process with the industry's most widely adopted forecasting, scheduling and communications tool.

Learn more about HotSchedules

Eldridge G.
Operations Director
Food & Beverages, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/10/2020

"Your Schedule On The Go!"

Comments: Wonderful! I can easily access using the app from my phone a comprehensive view of todays roster and more! Helping me as a director plan a shift before I even get to work. Especially important to plan in my business because surprises arise frequently and daily. I can also easily request time off needed through the app, call, text, or even email my staff if needed to. Hot Schedules saves me and my company time, money, and helps our business to stay productive!

Pros: I really enjoy the convenience of being able to view your work schedule remotely and anywhere for that matter! Set up an email or a Gmail account and it's delivered right to your inbox! Gone are the days of having to call your employer or having to drive to your place of employment to view it on paper. "Your" time is valuable and let's be honest, none of us want to go to work on our days off for any reason!

Cons: I really and truthfully speaking have nothing negative to include with Hot Schedules. It's been a great software addition to our store and team! If someone did tell me that I had to pick out one feature that I don't care for, I guess it'd be the "How was your shift?" feature that pops up when logging on. That said, it's such a minor dislike and isn't really worth mentioning.

• Reviewed on 06/10/2020
Darla C.
Owner, Operating Manager

"hotschedules review"

Comments: It's got so many options - none exactly what I need - that it is almost too cumbersome. I would like more flexibility to create template shifts and place them on days as needed, with it being ok that some days there are blank shifts left over. Rather than now, when if I make a template and want a day to be scheduled lightly, it tells the staff there's a house shift open. The template feature is practically more work than just starting from scratch each week. I hate entering the times of a shift and having it immediately autocorrect to the last half hour. For example if I want a shift to start at 1:30PM and end at 10:30PM, I have to type 1:30, click off and it will change it to 1:00, click back on to get to 1:30, and repeat to get the end time to read 10:30 instead of 10, then repeat to get PM instead of AM. I'd also like to not have to redo the schedule report generator so that it's easier to read every week, for the printed schedule we keep in the shop. All those outlines, yikes! What I do like is the messaging/staff communication parts. Requests off are clear and easy, same with shift swapping. I like being able to create blackout days for no requests off, and I like that I can easily see who wants off when and when the RO was made.

Pros: Requests off, availability, blackout dates, staff communication sections. The app works great for everyone.

Cons: No ease of use when making the schedule - autocorrecting number entries constantly, schedule templates aren't what I need, schedule report is difficult to read.

by HotSchedules on 06/02/2017

Hi Darla!

Thank you for reaching out and providing feedback for us. We're sorry you're having a hard time navigating the scheduling templates. These articles may be of use to you in better explaining the process of scheduling using custom and blank templates and auto-scheduling!

If you are still having issues, please contact customer care for assistance!

Andrew V.
Operations Manager
Restaurants, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/11/2020

"HotSchedules Review"

Comments: It's a great improvement over previous scheduling softwares but still has a lot of room to grow.

Pros: It allows you to do a deep dive into scheduling, aides in sales projections, and allows for rapid informing of the staff.

Cons: You have to click through too many pages to accomplish simple tasks.

• Reviewed on 25/11/2020
Ashley L.
General Manager
  • Reviewed on 07/10/2020

"Overall Fine"

Comments: Overall, I would probably use again. I imagine after they finish all of the big updates, it will run a little more smoothly.

Pros: This product made holding the staff accountable for knowing not only their schedules, but also any messages that needed to be mass sent out.

Cons: This software had frequent updates that caused glitches often. They also changed key features often, which made weekly logins a surprise.

• Reviewed on 07/10/2020
Bartender
Food & Beverages, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/04/2020

"Keep your staff on the same page"

Comments: I think that using hot schedules Is very convient and recommend that everyone try it.

Pros: This app is so easy to use. My staff just has to look at their phone to know when they work , who they work with, and are able to cover a shift or swap hours if they run in to a problem.

Cons: I didnt like that the employees had to pay for the app. I feel that one payment from the employer. should cover the whole program.

• Reviewed on 15/04/2020
Greg L.
Restaurant Service Manager
Restaurants, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 08/08/2017

"This software is easy to use and a great way to communicate."

Comments: The largest benefit was time management. I have a lot more time to do other things that improve our guest's experience, which is the bottom line of my job.

Pros: The communication side of it is great. I have less meetings now that I can send out mass messages. The scheduler itself is top notch. I can move shifts around quickly using the quick keys and copying schedules is a snap. Having the freedom to do my schedule anywhere and being able to approve or deny schedule changes from my phone makes those decisions more informed. We use it to document all incidents good and bad on employees, so when an evaluation comes around you have all that information at your fingertips. It makes a great reservation scheduler. The roster report is the first thing I print out in the mornings to make sure everyone is here and where they are supposed to be and if they are not I have all the phone numbers on that sheet. The fact that it gives you the number of hours for everyone helps with creating budgets for the week.

Cons: My biggest complaint is that part of the expense for the is put on the employee. I know it's very little but some employees don't have a bank account or credit card and have trouble making the purchase. It seems to me that the revenue generated by that could be built into the cost of the software on the employer side.

• Reviewed on 08/08/2017
Eric F.
Kitchen Manager
  • Reviewed on 10/03/2020

"Restaurant Must have"

Comments: As a former manager at a Texas Roadhouse, I was familiar with this software, and eager to bring it to my new venture. It immediately eliminated the use of paper schedules, and the chaos of employees switching shifts without making management aware. This increased both labor costs, and morale.

Pros: It’s easy to use, built for high volume restaurants. I took a restaurant that was still relying on paper, emailed schedules, and converted them to Bot Schedules. This eliminated issues of shift coverage changes, where we expected one employee, but another showed up, and all the associated communication issues.

Cons: It was much more difficult to order and install that I previously remember. Customer service in the sales department was definitely lacking just a touch. Once we got the ball rolling it was fine, but the initial sale was a bit rocky to start.

• Reviewed on 10/03/2020
Jessica B.
Catering Manager
Hospitality, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/08/2019

"Hotschedules Is Perfect For The Hospitality Industry"

Comments: This has helped manage overtime before it even happens. While scheduling employees, the software calculates the hours and gives you a warning for any person that is going into or approaching overtime. This has saved us money and helped better allocate time. Hotschedules is a game changer for the hospitality industry.

Pros: This software is extremely user friendly. I love that my staff is able to put all of their availability changes, requests for time off and switch shifts through the software. It makes it extremely easy to create the schedule each week. Tracking of overtime is a huge help as a manager as well. This is a must have tool for anyone in the hospitality industry. It will save your scheduling sanity!

Cons: The only downside to this software is the cost for the app. While it is minimal and you can still log in for free through any web browser, a free app would be ideal for the hourly employees. I honestly have no other bad things to say about this software. I highly recommend it!

• Reviewed on 09/08/2019
Joseph W.
Operating Partner/ owner
Restaurants, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/01/2017

"One of the owners for Sedona Taphouse"

Comments: I liked the old version better where you could click the roster button while writing a schedule and see a snap shot of that day. Everyone I know can not figure out why you got rid of that. Also I have been asking for years that you make it where we can set a max amount of request per day. Like 3 request off on monday, 4 on tuesday, 2 on sunday etc... so if I could allow 2 request off on sunday. When the 3rd person went to request off it would give them a pop up that would need to be approved by a manager.

Pros: Reporting and ease to swap shift

Cons: No way to set request off parameters by the day. Schedule writing is harder with the new version

by HotSchedules on 16/02/2017

Joseph,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to provide us with feedback, we really appreciate it! We apologize for the less than exceptional ease of use with our new interface.

We value any and all feedback to better improve our products-we have a community request page where you can submit your thoughts and insights directly to our Customer Support team. Thanks for being a part of our community!

Director Of Operations
Design, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/03/2019

"Very convenient tool"

Comments: Overall, our business couldn't function without HotSchedules. It makes scheduling easy for managers and provides vital flexibility for employees. It might be overkill for small teams, but if you frequently schedule several people for many shifts each week, it's well worth the cost.

Pros: HotSchedules allows employees to trade shifts, pick up shifts, and see their schedules very easily. It makes managing personnel and schedules so much easier for managers, and it's great for the team to have added flexibility. Without HotSchedules, trading shifts can be a nightmare for both employee and manager alike.

Cons: The only con we've seen is that HotSchedules has built-in rejections for some requests. In theory, this is a great tool - if you don't meet the criteria to make the request, then it's automatically rejected. However, there are some manual workarounds, which means employees still make requests to the manager rather than via HotSchedules since they know there can be adjustments made. This really isn't a complaint of HotSchedules since it works as it's supposed to, but just a head's up that there will still be manual adjustments.

• Reviewed on 06/03/2019
James B.
Owner Operator
Retail, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/01/2020

"Simple enough to use for great scheduling"

Comments: I love to use Hotschedules to make up the schedule a few weeks in advance it’s very easy to check and see who needs what days off and fairly easy to go online and switch shifts with someone that even notifies the manager and they must approve
This software is super easy to set up and use and I would recommend this to anyone looking for help with scheduling

Pros: First let me start off by saying I have used hotschedules now for years I first started off using it when I worked in restaurants as a server. It was the only way you could know when you work and request time off. Now that I have my own buisness I still use Hotschedules because of how much I like it.
It’s super easy to log on from anywhere and check the schedule adjust the schedule look at upcoming shifts as well as pull up who wants when off for when your making the schedule

Cons: The thing I liked least about Hotschedules is the fact that most the time to download the app on your phone there is a fee and you can’t download the app without paying it.

• Reviewed on 17/01/2020
Operations
Restaurants, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/07/2018

"Makes a restaurant run"

Comments: Internal communications and schedule notifications to a distributed workforce.

Pros: Hotschedules makes schedule creation and updates ridiculously easy. Not only can you input the schedules you need covered to receive optimization suggestions, but once you post the schedules, you don't have to track down your staff to inform them of their schedules.

Cons: When I utilizied Hotschedules my employees were not able to input one-off requests or identify preferred shifts, limiting the efficacy of the schedule optimization features. There was also not an option to send internal communication notes to management emails so there was no way to verify when management was reading the information.

• Reviewed on 24/07/2018
Tiara H.
Server
Hospitality, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/11/2019

"All in one scheduler and social exchange"

Pros: Users can be grouped into categories based on department, allowing for effective communication without clutter. Also users' title and contact information is kept in a master directory readily available to other users. Another great feature is push notifications regarding company announcements, published schedules, and schedule changes. No need to constantly check the app for changes.

Cons: There is no free version of the app, which could be problematic for some employees. Although not expensive, some users don't like to pay for an app to view their schedule.

• Reviewed on 13/11/2019
Rebecca P.
Bartender
Food & Beverages, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/08/2018

"The best way to post work schedules"

Comments: I have thoroughly enjoyed using the app, and it has allowed me to take opportunities that have made me additional money I otherwise would not have known about. I recommend the app to my other coworkers, as it is only a dollar or two one time and you never have to worry about losing your schedule or wondering when all your shifts are.

Pros: I can access my work schedule whenever I want because it is both a website and an app. It not only tells you what your schedule is, but allows you to see who else you are working with. This is beneficial if you are trying to adjust your schedule for time off so you know exactly who is available and who is not, which saves a lot of time.

Cons: If you have marked yourself as unavailable it should flag someone from being able to add you to the schedule in that slot so that the person creating the schedule realizes they have made an error.

• Reviewed on 28/08/2018
James M.
Social Media and Content Marketing Manager
Food & Beverages, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/09/2019

"Great way to manage staff schedules with ease"

Comments: Was part of a team that used HotSchedules for shift management.

Pros: I like how shifts can be swapped and picked up without having to involve a manager. Managers can set certain rules, but within those rules employees can handle it on their own.

Cons: I don't like how clumsy the app was in 2014 when I used it. It was not mobile friendly, and didn't sync well with email and google calendar. This may have changed since then.

• Reviewed on 17/09/2019
Michael G.
Brand General Manager
  • Reviewed on 25/01/2018

"Good software, they are continually developing and improving. Definitely great for scheduling"

Comments: Allowed me to spend less time scheduling and communicating with staff. More organization on notes and employee files

Pros: Great for scheduling and staff communication. Makes handling a large staff easy. Logbook is great for communication on all issues with mangers and staff, even starting to use it to track our hr.

Cons: Want to see the inventory system improve as well as better ease of use across multiple venues other than that continue to grow and develop

• Reviewed on 25/01/2018
Liz P.
Sales Manager
Hospitality, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/05/2020

"HotSchedules is an amazing application for all businesses!"

Comments: Overall, I would definitely recommend HotSchedules to other businesses to manage their employee schedules.

Pros: What I liked most about HotSchedules is how user-friendly it was to use. It also made the process of posting schedules to staff and accessing so much easier!

Cons: The only con that I have is that the employee has to pay to download the application. Other than that, no complaints!

• Reviewed on 06/05/2020
Victoria B.
HR Admin
  • Reviewed on 21/05/2018

"HotSchedules has solved so many of our scheduling issues!"

Pros: Easily accessible by all employees. We can make edits and changes to the schedule, and the employees instantly have access to see them. It's also a great way to communicate with all of our employees at once.

Cons: That we didn't find it sooner! We were using an excel doc for scheduling before finding HotSchedules, and we thought that worked just fine - we didn't know what we were missing!

• Reviewed on 21/05/2018
Anne B.
Data Analyst
51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/02/2019

"Used when I was working in a restaurant"

Pros: I think hot schedules was especially beneficial to the restaurant life as it allowed for real time shift changes, picking up shifts or switching shifts with someone. It also allowed me to message my managers directly.

Cons: I think the only con would be the processing time between requests that only allows for certain people to approve requests for changes.

• Reviewed on 25/02/2019
James T.
GM
  • Reviewed on 18/01/2018

"Super easy and convenient."

Pros: The ease of use for scheduling but also managing employee requests, requirements and required permits. Everything is at a click away.

Cons: There really isn't anything that we don't like. maybe if the actually scheduling screen was a little smaller so it's easier to see the whole week and employees in one glance. But really it's great all around.

• Reviewed on 18/01/2018
Lauren F.
GA
  • Reviewed on 22/05/2018

"So easy!"

Pros: This is the best! So easy to view and use. so many helpful features. I have the app which makes all of it even easier. can trade/ask for shifts in seconds, request time off, etc. love it!

Cons: Can't think of any cons! This software does everything a restaurant needs it to! easily accessible for all.

• Reviewed on 22/05/2018
Bamber G.
Owner/General Manager

"Saves Time!"

Comments: Overall I love HotSchedules. I would love to have it integrated with my POS system, which I think my franchise is working on. The other option I would like is for my staff to be able to put in how many hours they would like to work and then when I'm scheduling I would be able to see those wanted hours.

Pros: The many hours it has saved me!

Cons: Would like to be able to see how many hours each of my staff members want to work

by HotSchedules on 21/02/2017

Bamber,

We know you're very busy, so thank you for taking time out of your day to provide us feedback.

If you have any specific suggestions for product enhancements, please do not hesitate to voice your thoughts on our community forum page!

Happy Scheduling!

Stephanie A.
Loan Clerk
11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/05/2018

"Great option for EVERY Restaurant business!"

Comments: All around great product to use in a restaurant with many shifts and employees.

Pros: I loved the feature of swapping shifts with other coworkers. It was very user friendly and provided great solutions for when I was a server at a very busy restaurant.

Cons: I don't remember there being very many cons to this system. I do, however remember getting a lot of notifications on my cell phone which is something each individual user can change on the features of the app on their phone.

• Reviewed on 24/05/2018