Excellent at providing options, but slightly over-complicated

Reviewed on 08/08/2019
Lauren W.
Personal Trainer
Sports, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall, this product is a good solution for any gym or membership based company. I have not been able to find an option out there that has as many capabilities as Mindbody does, so I've chosen to stick with it. While it does have some inconveniences, it is a very reliable flexible software, which at the end of the day is the most important thing anyway.

Pros: The sheer range of things this program can do is extremely impressive. Having just one program that can do so much is a huge plus in terms of simplicity and frugality. Specifically, it is very nice to have a POS, scheduling software, and online booking all in one. You can have two computers set up at your gym that can handle everything. Extremely convenient. Customer service is pretty good. I never had to wait on hold for longer than a few minutes. Sometimes the help takes longer than seems necessary and is difficult to follow, but I think that is more than fault of this somewhat convoluted software than the actual customer service itself. The software is easily accessible from anywhere. Surprisingly, their mobile platform is actually pretty good!

Cons: The main Con in a word is Convoluted. Everything is multiple steps, navigating the software can be difficult, and the layout is not intuitive in the slightest. I strongly dread training new employees on this software. It usually takes me about two hours just to go through everything with them...It's a headache. Like anything else, it's not too bad once you learn it, but learning it is not fun. The POS is a little clunky. Processing is a bit slow- this was an issue even on a new computer. At my former employer, we actually ended up buying a different POS because we were so tired of putting up with the one built I to Mindbody. We still used the Mindbody one for class and competition registrations, but everything else (open gym admissions, merchandise, snacks, and drinks) went through the other system.

Leading and inspiring the health and fitness industry

Reviewed on 07/05/2019
Eric P.
co-owner
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I've truly found Mindbody as an ally to help run my business. The company and community around it is why I'm in the health and fitness industry. It is inspiring to see a company trailblaze positive change in the public's heath and look forward to be associated with Mindbody for years to come.

Pros: Mindbody is easily the most powerful and comprehensive software available to help run your health and fitness company. What a lot of people may not know is that this company is leading the charge to improve health and fitness in this country and throughout the world where Mindbody is found. Having spent time at their campus in San Luis Obispo, I've seen it first hand. I go to the Mindbody University events to learn and to be inspired. It is a comprehensive program so it can be complicated. With time, you can master this program then use complementary software depending how sophisticated you want to be with your company.
It is confusing to see so many complementary software programs, but to the best of my knowledge, I believe Mindbody keeps from duplicating every idea/program to not degrade the work that they do with the foundation of the work that they do well.
This company is innovative and trailblazing ways and features that will enhance the clients experience at your gym/studio and easily the best feature is the ability to use a mobile device to run the software and create and pleasant experience for the user.

Cons: I believe if anyone considers using other software, it is because you are forced to use a specific credit card company with Mindbody. The sophistication to take different types of payment is lacking in such a monumentally successful software program. They tried to roll out a mobile dedicated payment device called POYNT which has been disappointing. It is clunky and unreliable, but I was pleasantly surprised to be able to return for a credit on my account. There are reports that the payment system is being revamped and it would be a revelation and would make the system truly complete.

MindBody is on its way to becoming something great.

Reviewed on 05/09/2018
William G.
Digital Business Manager
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: My overall experience with Mindbody business management has been well. Customer service is really good, each department I speak with is very helpful and informative. However, I would like to see Mindbody have a department or a program that allows businesses to collaborate with the MindBody software team, to help improve the software and help the Mindbody software team understands the types of software tools different business would need.

Pros: I consider MindBody on the computer, and a mobile device two different software experiences. What I enjoy the most about MindBody on the computer, is the ability to resize the window, which allows you to control the amount of information on the screen. What I like most about the MindBody software on a mobile device is the ease of use, and straight to the point UI.

Cons: What I like least about the MindBody software on the computer is the outdated feel and UI. Some menus feel cluttered, while other menus are mostly blank and could contain more information or a drop-down menu and some tabs feel hidden too. A lot of our staff members state that they can not understand the software at first glance and have a difficult time navigating the UI. Simply put, the software should be as easy as, I want to do A, B and C, and should be able to not have to dig through tabs and menus to do it. Another thing I like least about the software is location management. Our business has two locations using Mindbody, and there is not an easy eay to switch between both accounts, without having to completely log out of the account and log back into the other one. What I like least about the MindBody software on a mobile device, is the business app, it can sometimes look outdated as well. The schedule tab in day view looks cluttered at first glance. The client tab is mostly blank when it could have a "most recently added" tab, or "clients that checked in today" or "Clients that checked in this week" tab.

Things are okay, but they could be better

Reviewed on 30/08/2018
Amanda B.
Owner, LMT
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall. Our experience is a positive one.
We certainly have our frustrations and have been met with dead ends on more than one occasion.
We have been continually researching and discussing with peers the use of other similar products to see if there would be a similar and more cost effective fit for us.

Pros: -visually, it is simple and appealing
-The customer service team is responsive and intelligent and we appreciate the remote controlling of the screen to learn while issues are resolved
-Mostly it has accommodated the needs of our business

Cons: -It is clearly most functional for a class-based business, we would love to see improvements and functionality for appointment based (one that stands out, is being able to schedule through our Google Business listing)
-The fact that you raise your rates and do not grandfather in your current subscribers to stay at the same rate is really sneaky and I do not respect that at all. Just because you add features that we did not ask for or need, does not mean that your happy clients should be forced into higher cost for services they do not want. Some customer loyalty would be nice.
-There are features that we "cannot change" at all that would make our business run more smoothly (how the check out options are arranged, the way that clients are able to book certain times using your software through our website, and using a GC to pay for a service when booking online...to name a few)
-When mind body is down, our business is DOWN, and we have seen first hand how horrible of an impact this can have for us

by MINDBODY on 31/08/2018

Hi Amanda-

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Our recent acquisition of Booker Software was aimed at improving the experience for appointment-based businesses like yours.

In addition, we apologize for the impact that we have on your business when our software has an event, but know that we are actively working on solutions to prevent that from happening in the future.

Amazing and dissapointing

Reviewed on 07/03/2018
Chelsey D.
Studio Manager/Personal Trainer
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Did a great job compiling competitive software services that we need for our business.

Pros: Very easy to use once you get set up and figure it out how to make it work for your business. Before MindBody changed their software capabilities... again... there was so much flexibility in how to use the software and it has so many very applicable functions for multiple business types. Customer service has ALWAYS been amazing and the interface is very customer friendly. It also has a great app for online booking.

Cons: How much the program changes in terms of the way the interface is used; every "update" has made the system very complicated for our businesses use, and we would constantly be retraining our employees how to use get around the new changes to use the software as we originally purchased it for. As of a month ago, they just implemented a new payment tier system that has limited our previous uses and is forcing us to pay an additional (went from to get most of the functions back and a bunch we don't want or will ever use for our business. Which leads us to our final issue... MindBody is constantly upping their prices. We have been with them for 5 years (???) and every year they are charging us more. In summary, too many changes with little warning, new functions are being implied that we don't want nor will use but are expected to pay for, and capabilities we had before we are now expected to pay more for after years of access. We wished we could have stayed with them, but they seemed to have outgrown our business and overshoot our needs.

I've increased my business 20% in each of the 2 years I've been with MBO.

Reviewed on 10/12/2017
Terri F.
Customer Support

Pros: MBO is far more than a software provider. They are my strategic business partner. They keep me current on all the technological advancements available in the market through ongoing development in the software. As well as provide the research/data analysis which helps me make sound business decisions regarding my future growth and profitability.
My favorite feature is the ease of setting up the reoccurring revenue via auto pay monthly membership contracts. The other two powerful resources I use are the automated emails, retention/re-engage email marketing, and all the reporting capabilities. The day to day use of class check-in, retail sales, client account management are all features I like.
Finally, the primary reason, and the one which has earned MBO the strategic partner status within my organization is summed up in on simple word support. Their world class team of dedicated technical support staff are available 24/7/365 to answer my questions, provide information and will take all the time necessary to help me resolve anything I need.
The support doesn't end with the technical. Through the MINDBODY University program I've learned best practices, how to use the reports to build my sales and marketing strategies and to set my business goals. The MBU video tutorial liberty provides additional information on a variety of topics right from my desktop.
MINDBODY is far more than a software provider, they are my teammates! My success is their success. Period.

Cons: Like any partnership, there are always imperfections and areas of improvement. If I could wave a magic wand and all my wishes were granted, then this is what I would wish:
a more robust set of auto email options
more content for the retention and re-engage emails
more functionality related to inventory
the ability of change contract start dates after the contract has been activated
That's about it. There are other, small quirks which can be annoying at times, but then again, nothing is perfect and there is always room for improvement in any relationship.

by MINDBODY on 02/08/2018

Thanks for the review, Terri! We're proud to be on your team!

Miracle Software

Reviewed on 14/03/2017
Molly S.
Ayurveda Practitioner, Yoga & Massage Therapist
Alternative Medicine, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: MindBody is the admin assistant I've always needed and could never before afford. In the first three months of using it I DOUBLED my income. My clients can schedule, cancel, reschedule, sign up for classes and pay online- that alone saves me at least two hours a day that I no longer have to be on the phone, I can be working! Or playing with my family, or a million other things rather than sitting on a phone or on email. Just the ability to take credit cards (all of them) increased my pay; there's a feature when the client pays which asks if they want to leave a tip and offers different percentages or a custom amount...and when asked if they want to leave a tip, more people do so! Seriously my average went from 65 to 90 each session. Clients can buy gift cards online and print them out immediately, that's a nice feature for those last minute gift givers, and they are again asked if they want to leave a tip... it's crazy how quickly my income skyrocketed. I'm beyond grateful. OH and the best part. MindBody's customer service. I was actually offered a lower rate with another company (we'll call them Circle so I don't offend the real company) but Circle was terrible. With Circle, I waited fifteen months to get the rate I was promised and I was constantly tossed back and forth in emails and phone calls as Circle passed blame and did nothing to help my business. So I checked out MindBody. And they walked me through the software, the setup, how to use it, they even showed me how to customize everything for my business! We're talking 45 minute phone calls with this awesome customer service associate (Rep- he's so calm and intelligent and researches every question you have) EVERY WEEK until I felt comfortable using MindBody. I was terrified after trying Circle, but MindBody gave me the software, the skills, the customization, the feedback- did I mention you can run reports at any time to figure profit and taxes and such?- and as of today I stand to TRIPLE my income this year. Thank God I didn't give up after Circle. Thank God I found MindBody. I realize I'm typing in stream-of-consciousness, I realize I'm beyond excited, but for a single mother of three running her own business who had learned to live just below the poverty level, to make such a leap in income, to have such powerful and professional software, to have the unwavering support and knowledge base of an entire team of people at MindBody- it's overwhelming. Miracle Software.

Pros: MindBody customer support is AWESOME! It's the reason I stay with MindBody, though Square offers a lower rate to NCBTMB members such as myself- square's customer support is awful. In contrast stands Max Malle. Remember that name. Best customer service rep I've ever known. He and the others go above and beyond their jobs- you can feel their sincerity. Oh and I've doubled my income and am set to triple it this year because the software does SO MUCH WORK for me. It's my administrative assistant that I only pay $ a month for! It rocks.

Cons: Hm. Well, I have yet to figure out the difference between signing someone up for a yoga class and signing them in to a yoga class, so maybe differentiating that in the program's wording would help. OH and for those of us who use our phones exclusively, not a computer, when using the software, it would be lovely if the phone programming held everything just like the computer programming does. Hmmmmm .... OH and sometimes late at night my schedule disappears completely from my phone. It shows up as blank, which is frightening, but in the morning it's back to normal. Maybe you guys are working on it then?

by MINDBODY on 03/08/2018

Thank you for your review, Molly!

Hair salon owners: This is good for appointments, but its missing one MAJOR feature

Reviewed on 04/08/2016
Jonna B.
2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Own a hair salon? This might be important to you too: I've been using MindBody for nearly 2 years at my salon for its online booking. I have nothing bad to say about how the online booking functions on MY end... meaning that when I log in and manage my appointments, it's pretty easy for me. It's actually REALLY easy for me and I love the way MindBody allows me to manage my appointments. So I do recommend it for this very important reason. HOWEVER, what I don't love about this service is that, according to my website designers SetMySite (these guys are incredible btw), there's no "customizable embed code"... in business owner terms that means, when the client wants to book their appointment through the website, they click on a link on the website that takes them OUT of your website and ON TO MindBody's website. There are other salon booking applications that allow you to create a custom look and feel to the appointment booking application and "embed" it onto your website, so that your clients can actually book ON your website. MindBody offers no such feature. So why does this ruin the experience so much? 1) It looks unprofessional! We consider ourselves a very high-end salon. Sending our client to another website that doesn't match the same look and feel of our website looks amateur and unpolished. Especially since our website uses dark colors, and MindBody's is all white - it's a very ugly contrast. 2) It's not very user friendly for the client. Originally I wanted a "book now" button under each service offering on my website and I wanted to have that button automatically take the client down the path to book that specific service once they clicked on it (obviously). But I guess that wasn't so obvious for the MindBody peeps as when someone clicks on the "book now" button on my website, it just takes them to a general page where the client has to fish around for the service they JUST TRIED to book on my site and re-add it so they can book! SMH. 3) When the client is taken to the MindBody booking page, they aren't greeted with a list of services to choose from. They are greeted the the need to "sign in" to an account. How could a first time client already have an account? MindBody should know that many many clients that book online are actually first time clients! Why not make it as easy as possible for them to book online? I feel like MindBody makes it as HARD as possible for them to book the service they want through the website itself.

Pros: Excellent admin management. Wonderful for managing appointments and worth the money based on this alone. You pay more as your business grows. I have found the support to be excellent. I'm not sure why so many people here are complaining about the support. Everyone I've talked to has been really knowledgeable and helpful.

Cons: No way to book appointments directly on your own website. This is a pretty big one for me obviously. The booking page for the customer is stark, confusing, and unnecessarily cumbersome. There needs to be a way to make the integration more seamless and pretty. I guess it's just very disappointing because the software and company are otherwise very good. This seems like such a no-brainer and I feel like I'm losing business because of it. This needs to be addressed.

Not as good as they think they are

Reviewed on 01/01/2017
Randall F.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I have been using Mind Body for 5 yrs. I am a single practitioner Registered massage therapy clinic. I am very computer savvy. I have used several practice management software and have contributed to UI development of two of them. At the time of sign up I had completed an exhaustive search on Clinic management apps. The two that came out on top for me were Mind/Body and another one. I went with MB because their salesman misrepresented their tech's ability to export my data. In the end, they couldn't do it. He also signed me up at the wrong price for my situation and it cost me extra $ for months. I decided to continue with MB without my previous client database. The back end of the software is extremely complicated and took quite a while to get things to work right. They seem to feel they are the best solution out there, they clearly haven't looked closely at the other providers and how my clients could interact with the software which is overly complicated, I have numerous clients who won't work with MB and call or text. (there will always be some who won't use it no matter the design) They are committed to using Flash (outdated) if you want to use an iPhone or iPad you have to use their apps instead of the site being HTML5 or cross platform compatible. It also doesn't work well with Safari. The CRM is poorly designed and their premium Soap notes are a joke in comparison to what the competition like Booker, Jane app, Soap Vault. and many more offer. Their Auto emails don't handle embedded HTML correctly and are completely broken at the moment and fill my email with content not linked to. You can't collate, print or export client notes or soap notes. I have to copy and paste my notes into word to create a medical-legal report.

Pros: Great 24hr customer service support.
Wide range of features.
Conventions, classes, and online training on how to use their product and market your practice better
Reasonably easy to run your practice once you are set up.
Good consumer awareness of the apps so you can be found through their network of providers.
A good set of reports to understand and analyze your business.

Cons: Over priced. If a corporation can have an Igo they are conceited and not fully aware of their competition and how they are being bettered by other companies that didn't have to spend millions of dollars last year to deliver what they are offering. Raised my rates 60% in two price increases over the last 6 month period.
The initial salesman made false promises.
Overly complicated user interface both for potential clients and for service providers.
No automatic booking assistance that keeps dead spaces to a minimum.
Poor Contact Relation management compared to much less expensive software.
Pushed expensive 3rd party upgrades for components that should have been included in the price.
They don't have a well-developed place to create treatment notes, can't print, collate or export the notes you do create. Not PIPA compliant (Standards of patient privacy)
Can't bill or track insurance billing and payments.
Takes forever to fix something broken in their software. Promised features and then took 2-3 years to deliver features.

I wish there were major revisions to MBO

Reviewed on 30/08/2018
Sylvie M.
manager
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: The MBO business app works well on my phone for events

Cons: I do not think it's efficient at all. There are wayyyyyyyyy too many things to click to get to what you want, clients have to wait way too long to get signed in and pay for a package. I used to work in the restaurant industry and POS systems definitely had their flaws but they were quick and to the point. MBO was definitely designed by someone who has never had to work a busy sign in at a busy yoga studio. It seems the system was designed by someone who does not understand the client experience or how important efficiency is an employee. And the amount of glitches and ways I have to trick the system to do what I want, for example the autopay schedule. Why can't I use two forms of payment for one payment? Like $10 from their account credit and the rest on the card. Instead I have to charge the card the rest ahead of time to the account and then apply it to the month and then go in and change the payment type which sometimes doesn't save and sometimes changes it all to account payment. Which causes the client to have a huge negative account balance by the time we catch it and we have to go back to find them. That's one example. Also the customer service is horrendous. I usually have to call back a few times about the same issue in order to get someone who knows what they are doing or talking about. And half the time I have to teach the reps how to work something in order to get an answer. I really think MBO has a long way to go before it's useful.

MindBody Cloud Based Club and Scheduling Solution

Reviewed on 23/07/2019
Narinder S.
Sr Cloud Architect
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 10,001+ Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall Mindbody Software is life line for our SPA business and we are totally depended on this software for all kind of activities so for any small or mind size business that need to automate their work Mindbody is perfect choice

Pros: Mindbody Software offers various features such as Automated Scheduling of Email and text along with online booking, Appointment via Social media like Facebook and we can manage marketing capabilities via inbuild toolkit. We use Mindbody software for SPA.

Cons: Every Software has its own strength and weakness, as per our experience with Mindbody we have found few issues where they need to really works on one big aspect is Availability of Services( they had 3-4 major outages) which causes lot of problem to out customers and impact our business, second area that i would like to explore is software has few menus that feel cluttered while other menus are mostly blanks ,their documentation is also not updated sometime

Overpriced and disappointing business practices

Reviewed on 15/02/2019
Amy R.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Middling. The only reason we are still with MindBody is because it took a long time to set it up how we want it, and our clients are familiar and understand how to use it.

Pros: It is reasonably fully featured, and you can usually find a work around to achieve what you want or need to do, but it isn't all that intuitive.
A lot of our clients seem to have used MindBody before, so it is familiar to them. Clients like that they can book quickly and easily through a mobile app.

Cons: MindBody has become horrendously over-priced. They increased subscription rates by a huge margin (almost double, in some cases!), and justified it by shoe-horning in a bunch of extra features that we did not want or need, or which were not available to us outside of the US - yet we were still expected to pay for them! Our only option was to downgrade our subscription package to one left us about a quarter of the features we were used to, and removed some very common-sense "features"(such as the ability to mask instructors full names from the client-facing interface - thus leaving our instructors open to potential stalking from people not even signed up to our system) - and yet we still had to pay more for this poorer functionality! The fact that they did not grandfather in current subscribers to stay at the same rate is appalling - we've been using MindBody for six years. Some recognition of customer loyalty would go a long way.
I am investigating other options for our booking software.

So thrilled we found Mindbody

Reviewed on 12/03/2017
Diane W.
Executive Director / Owner
Recreational Facilities & Services, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: After running our sailing school for 20 years under the county park system, our supervisors decided to discontinue the park's registration services. We were suddenly thrust into an administrative role where we had no experience. As I blindly searched for a registration solution, I stumbled upon Mindbody. My initial deduction was that the product wouldn't work for the types of programs and services we provide. I explained this to the Mindbody representative and described all the reasons why it wasn't a good fit. She listened to my rant and one by one dispelled my objections with solutions in the Mindbody software. Not only that, she assured me that Mindbody would be there to hold-our-hand through it all, and that the price was well within our budget. I had no choice but to sign up on the spot. 8 years later and Westwind is stronger than ever. In the first year of using Mindbody, our registrations and revenues were the best they had been in 5 years despite the ongoing recession. Our business continues to grow and evolve and Mindbody grows and evolves with us. I was blown away the first time I noticed improvements in the product based on requests from the clients. Now it's just the norm. I recently discovered Mindbody BOLD and Mindbody University. Both were some of the best business conferences I've attended in 30 years of running my company. Bottom line: Mindbody is a dynamic and forward thinking company that sincerely cares about its staff and customers. I strive to run my business this way and I find that I use Mindbody as a role mode. LOL! I'm not getting paid to say this stuff, it just really is that good!

Pros: Dynamic, adaptable, cost effective

Cons: Would like more emphasis on 'enrollment' aspect of software since that is what we use the most.

by MINDBODY on 03/08/2018

Thank you for the review, Diane!

Great software that is so straightforward

Reviewed on 04/04/2019
Noemi M.
Innovation Designer
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall, my experience has been great - I actually remember being excited when my current studio, OrangeTheory, switched over to MindBody, because it was something I was familiar with from other studios. So I liked the idea that I wouldn't have to be stressed about learning a whole new platform because it had been so simple when I used it previously. It would be great if more studios would use this app to establish continuity across app usage and make our lives easier.

Pros: I love that this software updates so quickly, is responsive, straightforward, and easy to use. I have used apps for a ballet barre studio and OrangeTheory that have been powered through mind body. My experience has been great - signing up for classes has never been easier, and I love the option to see my history, how many classes I have left in my package (would like a way to see when those expire as I don't always remember billing date), what package options are available, and even instructor photos and names in case I couldn't remember that one instructor whose class I enjoyed. The dashboard is also useful as I feel it displays useful at-a-glance information and helpful tips that have actually changed my approach to the workout.

Cons: I get that it needs to be password protected as you can buy additional classes, but in the past it's been a bit annoying to have to sign into the app - it's not always straightforward what e-mail & password I used. Would be much better with a PIN / 4 digit passcode sign in or Face ID or something. If it takes me too long to sign in, I get annoyed and do something else instead of signing up for that class. I will say, though, that recently, I haven't had to sign in too much, as my account opens when I open my app for OrangeTheory, but sometimes in the past I've gotten logged out and it's a pain to get back in.

Mindbody Review

Reviewed on 13/08/2019
Alissa R.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Comprehensive. Lots of features and options. A lot of reporting (although I think it could be better). The app and the exposure you get as part of that.

Cons: Simple tasks can be far too complicated. It at times does not feel it is built by daily users. If so, some of the steps needed would seemingly be decreased (although I will say this has improved somewhat over time). Absence of a solid dashboard report. I have to pull numbers from several places and numbers for a certain metric report differently on different reports. This causes me and my team to lose confidence in the reporting. There also aren't simple and common metrics reported like membership sales closing rate or member retention rate. I get frustrated that we have to outsource a lot of functions to other vendors for things that could be integrated into the software. Things like more customization of the auto-emails. More options for the retention emails that we pay a pretty penny for at the highest level. Finally, customer support responsiveness is not consistently great. After last year's conference we established a contact who was for a time responsive but then fell off. Now it seems like a complete headache to get any issue or question addressed. We are a 7 location studio who spends over $25K for your software annually. I feel we deserve a dedicated and responsive rep.

Unprofessional experience.

Reviewed on 18/01/2018
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: online booking, record keeping

Pros: It provides you with at least some type of software. They promote themselves pretty well, which makes them more known.

Cons: They overrate themselves, as the software does not have as much capability as they say, in several areas. Too expensive or can become that way, in order to have all the features you need, because you have to hire additional entities to get certain features that are not included. We now have a software with just about everything included in the pricing. MB's pricing increases quite often. I did not appreciate that in the beginning when training with them, they don't tell you how many limited hours they give you and are actually monitoring, but in the long run, they tell you how much of their time you've taken up, when you never knew there was a limit or that you were being monitored. The whole time they're telling you it's okay, you're fine, we'll give you as much time as you need. In the long run, they used this against me. Had they told me this info from the start, I would have hesitated or been more stingy in asking my questions and reaching out for assistance. I finally left MB when I had an unprofessional experience wherein I was mistakenly included in an interoffice email wherein they said some false, mean-spirited ' unprofessional things about me. That was the final straw. I am much happier now with my current software provider.

by MINDBODY on 22/01/2018

Thank you for sharing your experience with MINDBODY. We are sorry to hear about the situation you outlined regarding your business being discussed by our employees in an unprofessional manner. We'd like to look into this situation on your behalf. Would you be comfortable sharing details about your business with our team at [email protected]?

MindBody for small appointment-based wellness business

Reviewed on 20/11/2018
Justin G.
Co-Founder
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I had a very bad experience with a billing issue. I got lost somewhere between the sales and billing departments. Took hours and hours of my time on the phone and many emails to resolve a very straightforward billing issue. The issue was escalated, but I still didn't receive very good service. MBO eventually fixed the error, but didn't offer me anything for my trouble. The way they handled the entire thing was brutal. Eroded the loyalty and goodwill they had developed with me during the training sessions. Make sure you document everything that you chat about with your salesperson! If there is a problem, I wish you well trying to figure it out...

Pros: Once MBO is setup, the basic functions are relatively easy to use, especially in the app. My staff rarely have issues and picked up the basic functionality quickly. The MBO trainers who help to setup the system and do the training for the administrator are great, as are the support team. Very helpful and knowledgeable. I use the chat feature with support often, even though there is often a 20-minute wait.

Cons: From the administrator's perspective, user experience and system design could use some work. It's not very intuitive and can be difficult to locate things. Lots of little check boxes off to the sides, pull downs with language that isn't straightforward, easy to miss things or select the wrong thing when setting up or making changes. You will need to contact support a lot, especially in the beginning. Initial onboarding for the administrator is not easy, even for someone quite comfortable with technology. I also haven't found the integration partnerships not great, especially WaiverKing. Hard to setup and the support is not great. Glitchy. Clients often have issues. In addition, I use WaiverKing for client's to fill out a medical intake form, which is not accessible from the MBO app. My staff must open MBO on the browser on their mobile devices in order to see documents. Not ideal as the browser version is not optimized for mobile. Very hard to use. Also not loving the marketing automation features. Limited and visually not that nice looking in terms of design.

I wish it was more user friendly. You have to go thru a lot of screens and clicks

Reviewed on 05/12/2017
Melissa U.
Studio Manager
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: This is the only software I've ever used for this so I have no idea what else is out there...

Pros: I like the tabs. The call help is great and almost always helpful. I also like the help chat so I can save the transcript and go back if I can't remember how I fixed something.

Cons: should be more simplified. have all of the pricing options, price making together. have like with like, all of the events/workshops/courses/enrollments should be together on the same screen. It took me hours to figure out how to add a course, mostly b/c I couldn't find the course tab anywhere near anything that made sense. why it's under manager tools... and not services and pricing with the classes and enrollments is confusing to me. I even used your help button and couldn't find the course management b/c I didn't know what it was called and had to search it in obscure ways in order to finally see course! I've used quickbooks for years in previous jobs and it is so easy to use! I wish MBO was more like that. I would also like to be able to add an hourly pay rate for staff. we offer teacher trainings and pay the teachers hourly for training and a different hourly rate for mentor meetings. IThat way when I run my payroll report I would have everything on it. Now I have to keep a separate sheet with any extra work teachers do. Even a "general journal" type option would suffice.

Day Spa usage ~ When it's good, it's very good ~ When it's bad, it's horrid

Reviewed on 31/10/2017
Sara J.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Scheduling appointments is much easier than our previous system, when the site is functioning properly. Running payroll and reports is much easier than our previous system.

Cons: Frequent service interruptions - system was down for 3 hours one day, causing delays in bookings, checking in and payment processing. It is very hard to ask a client if they don't mind if we charge a credit card for service after they have left (when system functions again) or asking people if we can call them back to schedule an appointment because system is down. I had been calling periodically for over 2 weeks because of lag time on site, customer service blamed it on our internet provider (Charter). After our outage, they admitted that they had problems with a software update and were pulling it back to fix bugs. This would have been nice to know from the beginning. I would love to switch software, but it seems that all booking software has issues and the time it takes to import data and appointments may not be worth it. My hope is that Mindbody works out the bugs and can figure out a way to maintain functionality of it's site. Also, when calling customer service, they generally look up an answer on their own Help site - which I have already read. Seems like everyone is scripted, not actually trained in technical support.

MindBody Review

Reviewed on 14/08/2019
Kim P.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: It has helped us grow our company

Pros: Very customizable and easy to navigate

Cons: It's pricey for a small business to get all available features but it works well with the less expensive versions

Mindbody Review

Reviewed on 30/01/2019
Chelsea M.
Director of Operations
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Our overall experience has been truly great. The customer service staff are excellent and they almost always have a good answer for us and a way to make business easier for us when we need to call to get help from them. The app is beautiful and the Mindbody team really does an excellent job supporting it's customers and marketing them all (from little guys like us, to huge brands worldwide).

Pros: It is fairly user friendly, and there are a lot of tutorials which are great for helping my staff and I find the answers for questions without needing to call and contact a customer service representative. I like that you can use it for multiple types of appointments/services all in one place, instead of needing different software to support each one.

Cons: Some things are not super user friendly. There seem to be places where there are quite a few "work arounds" that need to happen in order for us to achieve the outcome we are looking for, and that makes it confusing for the client and for our staff. I feel there isn't always just ONE single way to do something, which makes training new staff a bit more difficult. The price is also a little high. With the increase this year it has been an adjustment for our business since we are a pretty low priced fitness studio, but overall it has still been worth the investment for having everything managed in one place.

Room for opportunity

Reviewed on 25/07/2019
Alexandra R.
Yoga Instructor
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 501-1,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Surface level, it is great! Easy to use and commonly known by both teachers and students. Once we get into the more technical sides it becomes a little more frustrating.

Pros: At a very basic, elementary level the software is relatively easy. Especially, in terms of checking people into a class. POS is also pretty simple. MBO is great for a surface level use.

Cons: I’m the retail manager for a region comprised of six studios. Half of my job is to count and recount to see where MBO has gone rogue. For example, sometimes it will duplicate an order, you can fix it, but next time you check on it, somehow, magically, the fix has been undone. There are also annoyances with browser compatibility. When you are doing a sale with a gift card, you cannot copy and paste the gift card number, you have to hand type and specify the exact dollar amount of the gift card. Super inconvenient, especially if the student doesn’t know the exact amount of the gift card. Also, ringing a gift card like this won’t work if you’re using chrome. It is also frustrating that we have to find workarounds for solutions to issues like ones I have listed above. MBO support has never provided solutions

by MINDBODY on 30/07/2019

Hi Alexandra-

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We've sent your review to your account manager for follow-up.

Not good for appointment-based businesses

Reviewed on 10/12/2016
Jennifer G.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: MB does some things really well, then falls far short on obvious things. We've been using it for 5 years, and my number one complaint is the inability to capture credit cards during the booking process to hold a reservation. We have lost probably thousands of dollars from clients who no-showed, and we had no credit card to bill. MB will tell you that they do have this feature when in reality it's a workaround that is incredibly obnoxious and intrusive to the client (a giant box will pop up saying MISSING BILLING INFO, but it gives the client no idea what this means). Their app also does not require a client to enter a phone number, despite that being a forced field set by us on the back end. I would agree with a previous reviewer who said this software is best for class-based businesses. MB largely ignores the needs of other businesses. Considering they just announced they are raising their monthly fee almost 32% to a whopping amount, we are starting to research other companies. I'm done with MB.

Pros: Reporting features ("tagging" is an excellent one), flexibility in options for settings, appointment confirmations, and reminders, training, and technical support.

Cons: Inability to capture credit card info from the client at booking, integration with the website is clunky, high monthly cost, the app doesn't require the client to enter a phone number, SMS alerts to staff are only possible when the client has opted in to also receive SMS appointment notifications.

Great Interface, Difficult to Navigate, Addt'l Charges, Not Customizable

Reviewed on 12/08/2019
Yakira A.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: MBO functions like you'd expect a very large, very vast business to function - tons of features that you pay for but only a portion of which are usable or easy to access/understand. Super inflexible for making changes or to accommodate any customization. Customer service is nice and easy to access, a recent change to their credit. They also have their app dialed in, which was a huge win for us.

Pros: Super streamlined UX for the branded app
Easy to reach customer service
Great analytics dashboard for quick status updates

Cons: Charges kept going up for no apparent additional value
All add-on functions come at additional cost
Website integration very poor; no store option
Functions/features buried in an oversaturated back-end; back-end not very intuitive
Lack of customization on basic features, like booking window hour opening

Service has gone down hill in the last 24 months

Reviewed on 06/10/2017
Christi K.
Massage Therapist
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: It provides a one stop program for practice management.

Pros: MB has been the industry standard for yoga and massage for years. Their product offers many layers of functionality for service based industries. Mobile app is useful for scheduling.

Cons: I have used MB for almost 8 years and used to love them but they have changed significantly recently. In the last 24 months the service and product has degraded significantly. Customer service calls average a 45 minute wait during the days, call back service doesn't work. CSR, are now poorly trained at finding solutions (they used to be amazing). Bugs continue to pop up with each revision and most remain unresolved. In January 2017 errors with the online scheduler became excessive (4 in one month) where clients booked apts online and we were never notified of their requests.
Then with the addition of text apt reminders it increased charges and I was unaware that other providers did this at no extra charge. Then in January 2017 an email from the president (which intentionally went to junk mail since it didn't come from the known sender like the bills come from) indicated a necessary increase with no new functionality. Leaving them has been hard to transfer data to a new provider, but worth it.