JobBOSS Reviews

by ECI Software Solutions

Filter by:

• Overall

About JobBOSS

ECI JobBOSS provides the necessary business software tools you need to keep your shop efficient, productive and profitable.

Learn more about JobBOSS

Kevin H.
  • Reviewed on 16/08/2017

"Entry level manufacturing software for shops willing to change to fit their ERP"

Comments: It's not that our sales volume has outgrown JobBoss, but our processes have. The lack of flexibility and customization are forcing us to work outside of JobBoss (e.g. custom software). The more that happens, the more obvious it is that JobBoss isn't right for us. I always consider JobBoss as a first source for our processes. Most of the time it can do something similar to what we want, but we would have to make serious concessions to make it fit. Ps. Stop sending "Important JobBoss Updates" that are primarily selling custom utilities.

Pros: In general, it's easy to use. Each module has similar buttons and interfaces. I think the AR/AP modules work well since it's not the primary focus of the software.

Cons: Quote entry has extremely limited ability to adjust margins (it can do it, but it's not easy). Adjusting margins are key for job shop environments. After speaking with support about my needs, they told me to quote outside of the system. Which means, I was literally told not to use your product. Legacy fields get stuck in the system. There's a lot of clutter in our system because we need to change user defined fields but they're not available in the find/replace utility. Scheduler is very poor. Difficult to use, glitchy. Doesn't (automatically) schedule for available labor resources, which is a huge part of a job shop environment. Reviewing scheduling during quoting doesn't account for current back load (or didn't at the time we last considered it). The recent "facelift" was atrocious. It's actually a huge deterrent to updating versions. What benefit is this facelift to me? My perception is that there will be no feature additions to the core product. Any improvements come in the form of custom utilities with additional cost.

David F.
Quality Systems Manager
Machinery, 11-50 Employees

"Solid ERP System"

Comments: We do not utilize JobBoss to it's full potential and are currently exploring ways to utilize more of the benefits provided. It does help create meaningful process instructions that helps the manufacturing process flow more smoothly. It helps track shipments and OTD which is beneficial to our organization.

Pros: JobBoss is a great system for integrating all aspects of manufacturing industries. We use it to generate shop travelers, create purchase orders and oversee outside processes. It gathers data from all areas of the organization and presents it in an understandable and insightful format.

Cons: My one compliant is the inability to delete old/obsolete data. We have a lot of obsolete raw materials in the system that have not been used in years, but since they have been used in previous records, it cannot be removed. This makes it difficult to set up a new numbering/coding system because the user has to work around obsolete/redundant data.

Bernard S.
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/02/2017

"Best investment I've made in 25 year of Manufacturing."

Comments: I own a small machine shop in Southern California and was using another product for a couple of years back in the early 1990's. I switched to Jobboss in the late 1990's and have never looked back. It is the complete package from quoting to job entry, purchasing, receivables and payables and job tracking. Most of my jobs are repeat orders and it's so easy to copy the information from the past time I ran the job to the new order. It populates the part number, description, revision, price, drawing number, operations and outside services and also the purchase history and material needs for the order. All you need to do is check the revision, price, quantity and enter the delivery date and it was done. Its a time saver when you can see what size, price and quantity of material as well as the vendor and create a purchase order for that from the Job Entry screen.

Pros: Ease of use and savings in time with regards to purchasing and costing jobs.

Cons: No complaints

Cheryl R.
Purchasing Manager

"JOBBoss programming"

Comments: I have worked on many different MRP/ERP systems over the years and was previously used to automated material planning. In moving to a small company that had been using jobboss for a couple years I was original skeptical -- but have come to like it for the capabilities it has relative to the low cost of acquisition.

Pros: Ease of making changes and acquiring data through either crystal reports or jobboss reports

Cons: I don't like that the router template information doesn't update live when descriptions, costs or other info is updated in other portions of the programs.

William B.
Mechanical Engineer
  • Reviewed on 30/12/2016

"Archaic & Tedious"

Comments: Archaic and Tedious is exactly how I would describe Exact JobBoss. There are significant limitations in the software to consider up front. Part numbers are limited to 30 Characters. Drawing numbers are limited to 16 characters. General Description field is limited to 30 characters. Their answer to this is to provide an extended description dialog box. But you can not see the value of extended description in any sort of list view, therefore you can not see the complete description of your materials or parts anyplace until you generate quote document, or purchase order document, or a report. The general Description field will clip your description. It will let you enter more than 30 characters. But if you save and exit, then open the same quote it will have clipped the description to 30 characters. The UI is not user-friendly despite other reviews. I seriously doubt they have conducted usability and ergonomics studies with actual customers. It is very easy to get off track and be very disorganized with materials. Where it should have a good predefined material structure. The reporting side is very limited unless you are familiar with programming Crystal reports yourself. If you are building a product structure where multiple components use the same material, there is no way to add the same material to multiple components at once. You can copy material from one component to another, however, you cannot copy just a single material. For example, the component that I am copying from may have 5 materials in it. I have to copy all 5 materials into the target component then delete the materials I don't want in it. Same way with copying routings. A tech support rep argued this with me via email. To convince him I was correct and it was not possible I had to take a video of my screen attempting to copy one material and send that to him. Only then did he come off his position that it was possible. I can not see both the routings of a component and the materials of a component at the same time. They are two separate view windows you have to click back and forth in. Likewise, you cannot see the materials in multiple components at once. You have to click back and forth between the components you are interested in. If they rearranged their UI you could do some of these things, because there is plenty of room on your average size monitor screen. I have a 24" monitor and at a comfortable resolution, JobBoss is really only utilizing about 50% of my display space with actual pertinent information and controls. It's very easy to accidentally delete things and there are not many places where you can Undo, so if you accidentally delete something you are SOL. There is no way to add additional custom properties to a component. For example, I can not have Customer Part # and Our Part#. There are unforeseen nuances as well with formatting as well. If you enter a value in Vendor Reference field or Detail Number, then it overwrites the space for Extended Description on our Purchase Orders with Vendor Reference or Detail Number instead. You can not delete a material that has been used in a job. Unfortunately, we have a terrible material database with poorly named materials. We would like to replace the badly named materials with new materials that make more sense. But there is no good way to do this. Once a material has been used, closed, or scheduled it can not be deleted. It can only be inactivated. But what I want to do is replace it completely. Now they will say that they have a replace functionality, but it is really a rename functionality. But you can only rename one material at a time. So it's not really a replace function. Lastly, if you have limited seats you can set a user sign out after a period of time. However, I have found that if you walk away and have not saved your quote or job and it auto signs you out, it DOES NOT always save it for you. So you may lose work that you have done since last save.

Pros: It has quoting, materials, costing, and scheduling, and job status capabilities.

Cons: Sadly the UI is severely lacking. And it seems not much thought is given to usability and efficiency.

• Reviewed on 30/12/2016
Mark M.
  • Reviewed on 10/09/2020

"Lack of development and dying software"

Comments: Good at first, but we dropped the maintenance fees several years ago because they stopped adding features or product development.

Pros: Easy to use and short learning curve. Can customize reports with Crystal Reports software.

Cons: This was cutting edge software and support when we purchased it 17 years ago, but over the past 8-9 years they have made little to no effort into developing and expanding it further. Most of their updates are just "bug fixes". They have an idea portal for users to submit feedback, but I seriously doubt they even consider any of these.

• Reviewed on 10/09/2020
Adell D.
office mgr
Mining & Metals, 51-200 Employees

"Office manager"

Comments: I have had good and bad from JobBoss. However, the good has out weighted the bad.
Basically, it comes down to who you get on the support line. Sometimes inexperienced support has messed me up big time.
But overall your support team has been very knowledgeable and patient.
Your product is cutting edge and keeps pace with technology.
Your Payroll product is the easiest to learn and navigate that I have used. I love Jobboss payroll.

Pros: Cutting edge technology and support are responsive.

Cons: Upgrades have been difficult, bugs are often the norm.
Annual support is costly.

Alaine W.
  • Reviewed on 16/08/2017

"Been a bit of a struggle navigating and getting acquainted with the accounting system part."

Comments: It seems a bit cumbersome and the new color scheme is not a hit.

Pros: Seems to be an adequate system for manufacturing. I have nothing else to compare it to. I come from the non-profit world.

Cons: We under utilize it because we do not seem to have people proactively seeking or asking for training. Could be a little more user friendly in certain areas. How to's/ suggested ideas to utilize the system. Easier access for all to tutorials. Our people expect to just be told how to do their job in it. One person will never be versed or know how the use the entire system in our company.

Lindsey C.
Operations Analyst

"Jobossin a Job Shop"

Comments: I implemented hobbies inour shop and oversee all daily functions of it.

Pros: Before we were entering data 3 times. Now we only enter it once. It also does automatic checks and balances for you. So we are able to move much more through our shop without overloading our admin staff

Cons: Job boss can be very unforgiving at times which in the beginning is a pain. However, as you learn to understand the product, you realize those "pains" are actually beneficial to prevent disaster mistakes. And there's always support who can always help you out of a bind.

Tammy T.
Mining & Metals
  • Reviewed on 12/02/2014

"JobBOSS - Information Central in our Company"

Pros: What do I like best about the vendor? Access to information and support is only a phone call away. A dedicated customer advocate is always ready to answer our questions, and there is never any pressure to purchase products/services we don't need. What do I like best about the product ? It consolidates all of our company-related information in one place, making it simple for all of our staff to quickly put their finger on any number they need. Whether it's viewing a packlist in shipping, checking employee attendance for payroll, confirming work in progress, or printing out a wide range of reports for monthly meetings, JobBOSS keeps it all at our fingertips.

Cons: We are a Canadian company ,and Exact JobBOSS is based in, and primarily written for, the United States market, so there are a few "glitches" in integrating with Canadian bookkeeping requirements. JobBOSS is always open to discussing our concerns, and we're looking forward to a proactive solution to resolve these issues in future updates.

• Reviewed on 12/02/2014
Karen T.
Consumer Goods, 11-50 Employees
  • Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 10/03/2019

"Utilities that were provided free of charge now cost thousands of dollars"

Comments: Job costs are obtained sooner.

Pros: That is syncs with Quickbooks. However, invoices that are generated have incorrect part numbers requiring going back into JobBOSS to obtain the correct part number that goes with the invoice created.

Cons: Support talks to you as if you have a computer science and accounting degree. On a few occasions it was clear that some of the support staff were frustrated with my lack of knowledge regarding technology.
I owned a previous version of JobBOSS and was provided with a utility, free of charge, to recost jobs due to work center rates changing and employee salaries changing. After JobBoss was purchased by it's current owner, and after I upgraded to a newer version of JobBOSS, I no longer can use the recosting utility I was using. In order to be able to recost jobs now, I must purchase the recost utility at the tune of $2,000.00!
The software is not user friendly. You must hire a consultant at $600.00 a pop to get customized reports. If you can't grasp the training in the hour they give you, the cost goes up.
The reports you do generate are very difficult to decipher and confusing.
I have sever buyer's remorse since purchasing this software.

• Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 10/03/2019
Felicia W.
Network Admin
  • Reviewed on 24/02/2017

"Does just about everything you need it to do"

Comments: We've been using JobBOSS for about 20 years. It's improved a great deal over the years and added a lot of functionality. It handles pretty much every task needed to run our small job shop. Every aspect of our business relies on JobBOSS, from quoting a customer's part all the way to invoicing the customer after we've shipped their part.

Pros: Lot of options
Add modules you need and don't pay for modules you don't need
Tech support is ALWAYS available and VERY helpful

Taylor S.
business development manager
Machinery, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/11/2019

"keeps our shop running"

Comments: scheduling of our machining centers to optimize our shop flow job costing reports - allows us to give accurate quotes (with attainable profitability) based on the previous jobs expense

Pros: ease of use.
continual improvements from user input.
helps improve our overall profitability.

Cons: it is not setup for down payment/progress payments on large dollar value sales.

• Reviewed on 13/11/2019
Harry S.
  • Reviewed on 16/08/2017

"Software is good not great."

Comments: No

Pros: Keeps things organized, does most of what we need.

Cons: Limits you on description areas, Reports are hard to do since we use QuickBooks. Not full blown to where we can use it for everything. Maintanence fees are way to high. Service over the phone depends on who you get some people know more than others to help you through a problem.

Anthony H.
VP/Operations
Aviation & Aerospace, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/02/2017

"Bringing it all together"

Comments: JobBOSS has made my daily work routine much easier. Everything can be managed by one software. Purchasing, scheduling, employee time tracking, costing all in one place. The customer support is great. Anytime we've had a question or problem they are quick to respond and help us resolve the issue. JobBOSS has been the perfect fit for our organization and we are continuing to expand upon the base package we started with.

• Reviewed on 22/02/2017
Tyra R.
CEO/Quality Manager
  • Reviewed on 17/08/2017

"Great software for the cost"

Comments: For the cost, the software does a very good job.

Pros: Keeps all of our information in one place, easy to repeat jobs from a job shop standpoint, having a quality system option is a big plus

Cons: Has some weird bugs sometimes, doesn't have some of the reports we would like and we don't have anyone who knows crystal reports to create them.

Pete F.
MIS Manager
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 51-200 Employees

"5 starts"

Pros: user friendly and the support staff is very helpful. The turnaround time on issues is very quick and if we need to escalate to a higher level it is very easy to do so and quick .

Cons: I would like for there to be a search bar at the bottom of each screen so the user can do their own searches for specific data as needed

Lynn Q.
Accounting/office manager

"Precorp"

Comments: I have been using Jobboss since it was on DOS. I am working with my second company that uses Jobboss. I am very excited to see the changes that have been made since I last attended a user's conference. At my present job, we do not utilize Jobboss the way it should be. I am anxious to get this in place.

Pros: User friendly. Ties everything together from jobs to accounting.

Brian O.
Quality Assurance Manager
  • Reviewed on 24/02/2017

"JobBOSS and use in manufacturing"

Comments: Our company has had jobBOSS for many years and have found it to be effective in most of the aspects of our daily production.
I recommend JobBOSS in conjunction with uniPoint for any business that needs a fairly easy to used MRP and controlled document system

Pros: Easy to learn on my own

Cons: Doesnt have an inventory system that works with our needs at this time

Jim M.
Purchasing Manager
  • Reviewed on 17/08/2017

"Very good program for Job Shop use."

Pros: I like the functionality and the resources that are available throughout the program. JobBoss fits our custom metal fabrication and machine shop very well.

Cons: The exporting of reports to Excel can be a cumbersome process. The layout in JobBoss doesn't transition well into Excel.

Jeep D.
Quality Manager
  • Reviewed on 16/08/2017

"Wishing for more significant upgrades"

Comments: Seems like decent produce which could benefit from improved consistency and features.

Pros: Interface if fairly straightforward to figure out.
Customer service is consistently helpful..

Cons: Multiple screens required to make changes to jobs, POs, etc.
Custom utilities required for many activities that should have been native.
Material mastering needs redone from scratch with added fields/features
Many inconsistencies in searchs/lookups to many different behaviors. each search field needs to start displaying as you start typing with no secondary popups like for looking up customers.
Open tabs should be across top
Search field should be in "ribbon" at top of entry screen

Don T.
VP

"20 Plus year JB User"

Comments: Response time is great.

Pros: It is very user friendly and in a logical format.

Cons: Need to pay extra for some customized reports that maybe should be already included.

Jason M.
vice president
Medical Devices, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/09/2019

"quoting"

Comments: we would like to utilize the time tracking

Pros: easy to use, intuitive. easy to learn. good price.

Cons: the time tracking module seems difficult to set up and inacurate.

• Reviewed on 24/09/2019
Richard G.
  • Reviewed on 16/02/2017

"Job Boss from and Accountant"

Comments: While strong in shop floor control, JobBoss is a bit cumbersome for accountants.

Pros: Works across the entire system.

Cons: The individuals who lead the training I attended did not have practical knowledge on how to use the software.

Karen M.
  • Reviewed on 27/02/2017

"Jobboss is the Best!"

Comments: We have been utilizing Jobboss for many years. The staff are all knowledgeable and always friendly!

Pros: User Friendly, issues are addressed quickly. Updates are awesome!

Cons: Nothing

• Reviewed on 27/02/2017