• Overall
    4.7 /5
    4.6 /5
    4.6 /5

About Shopify POS

Built for retail, Shopify POS brings your sales, inventory, customers, and more together across brick & mortar and online locations.

Learn more about Shopify POS

Brittany V.
VP Sales
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/12/2018

"Big fan of everything Shopify does"

Comments: Great for small businesses.

Pros: They really are a powerhouse. I have always been a fan of Shopify compared to their competitors.
All of their software is smooth and user-friendly. So of course their POS is too. Very easy to setup, great for beginners, small shops, bloggers. Can be completely automated and is easy to setup. I like that they make it easy to integrate with so many different programs and locations. I used Square before Shopify POS and I would say they're comparable in the way they function and look, however, Shopify's offers a lot more integrations and setups. I have always felt secure using this system as well.

Cons: I really don't have any complaints for this software. It does exactly what I need it to do.

• Reviewed on 11/12/2018
Brenda C.
manager
  • Reviewed on 19/04/2018

"Easy to use"

Pros: I like that Shopify POS is integrated with our Shopify website. If we sell something in store, it deducts it from our inventory online, which is very convenient. I don't have to worry about inventory being off.

Cons: The thing I like the least about Shopify POS is that when I issue store credit to a customer, there is no way in the system to know who the store credit was issued to in the future. In other words, you have to keep track of it yourself.

• Reviewed on 19/04/2018
Silversmith
Retail, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 29/08/2019

"Great for my part time side buisness!"

Comments: As an artist who is still working a full time day job, I love how easy it is to post my items for sale. I normally am trying to fit in when I can during my off hours so the more simple it is, the better for me!

Pros: My favourite thing about this software is how user friendly it is. As someone with limited computer knowledge, I found the set and up upkeep to be very easy.

Cons: There isn't much I would change about the Shopify POS but I would like for the page with the list of items to be a little more organized and easier to search.

• Reviewed on 29/08/2019
Aubrey C.
Hygiene Coordinator
Consumer Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/09/2019

"Easy to use for small business"

Comments: Shopify has been great as a shopper because it helps me have all of my information in one place.

Pros: I really love using Shopify when I am shopping on small business sites because it is easy to use, has the option for me to put in my email to remember all of my personal information, and saves my credit cards.

Cons: Because this is a very simple software, I don't like how it isn't able to grow with a business. Over time, a business would need to invest in a larger platform.

• Reviewed on 17/09/2019
Curt N.
Sporting Goods, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/10/2019

"Seamless"

Comments: Shopify PoS gives us peace of mind whenever we open a pop up or retail experience.

Pros: While we have not used other PoS software, Shopify PoS does a great job for us. All features we need, none that we don't, and an intuitive UI.

Cons: We have not had any issues with this tool so far. There may be features on other platforms that we are not aware of.

• Reviewed on 16/10/2019
Michael S.
  • Reviewed on 08/12/2016

"More Than a Cash Register"

Comments: The POS option with Shopify is great. With an iPad, cash register and scanner you are totally in control. We have been using our POS system from Shopify for over 3 years and have never had a problem. Because we have our online store integrated into the POS customers can order products on line, pick home delivery as the shipping option and we will deliver it to their home. We have a smaller iPad we use at events that has the same inventory as our online store. It comes with a credit card swipe with the payments processed by Shopify. Deposits are made to our bank account within a couple days.

• Reviewed on 08/12/2016
Ryan W.
  • Reviewed on 30/07/2019

"Essential for shopping in-person"

Pros: If you want to make money on the go, Shopify POS is a must. It lets you advertise and sell your items to people you meet in person.

Cons: You can't view and purchase from your store which would be a cool feature when showing your store to someone.

• Reviewed on 30/07/2019
Hoyt G.
  • Reviewed on 25/01/2017

"It gets the job done"

Comments: Free with shopify and free card reader... so why not? It's really incredible to be able to take your online store on the road with you

• Reviewed on 25/01/2017
Hanson G.
  • Reviewed on 07/12/2016

"Free - and awesome"

Comments: It's very nice to have the ability to accept payments on the spot! We use it at showcases and tradeshows :)

• Reviewed on 07/12/2016
Daniel F.
  • Reviewed on 10/06/2017

"I can do the same on Square for FREE"

Pros: Integrates with my Shopify Store (Something Square Cant), great for inventory across online offline, integrates with Epson printers.

Cons: PRICE, Shopify POS is expensive and does not require the price tag when compared to the competition. IT has an app store but those apps addon more price to the monthly fees. Also, the Shopify POS's payment terminal doesn't support TAP which is pretty bad. Switched to Square and never going back.

• Reviewed on 10/06/2017
Tom O.
Digital Marketing Manager
  • Reviewed on 14/03/2018

"Open a store or a booth at a trade show, no problem!"

Comments: I could say about the software is that it needs an internet connection to function. That can be a problem if you're working a booth at an exhibition or show where the wifi or cell service is spotty. Granted, there has to be some way to transmit credit card information to get it approved, but it still is a trouble that the shop keeper has to manage.

Pros: Shopify's POS app is stupid simple to use. It takes payments on the fly and seamlessly integrates with the online store. It sets up in seconds and works on a moment's notice. Using it for day-to-day business or trade shows, the POS software is extremely nimble fits your every selling need.

• Reviewed on 14/03/2018
Jonathan K.
  • Reviewed on 21/10/2018

"Needs some work to become a full featured POS system"

Pros: Relatively easy to set up with recommended hardware for not a ton of money. Runs off an iPad and supports multiple users and cash management. Isn't like a lot of the antiquated POS systems out there

Cons: Checkout flow can be slow which is difficult when there is a long line. Wish it were better at handling exchanges and returns. Would require us to go to the web version of Shopify to get full access to order controls.

• Reviewed on 21/10/2018
Marketing Manager
Consumer Goods, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 02/03/2019

"Quick, easy, professional ecommerce presence"

Pros: I work everyday in Shopify and it makes the checkout process for our customers easy peazy. Less pain points and a fast, digestiable checkout process for all. Whether it be creating products, collections, modifying our blogs or more, it makes our lives easier to have a fantastic software to work with.

Cons: I wish we could schedule the rotating banner. This would make life so much easier than having to create and publish the night before or minutes before our launches. Also, make the box in the PAGES expandable rather than the fixed size.

• Reviewed on 02/03/2019
Technical Support Manager
  • Reviewed on 20/09/2019

"Best Way to Become an Online Seller"

Comments: We have been selling our products online and making a good revenue thanks to Shopify for a smooth way of creating your online store.

Pros: Now selling your product on the E-commerce site has just got better with Shopify, I can upload my products and make it available to buyers with the help of this software.

Cons: I think this software is great you just need to make sure you keep upgrading it on time as and when they have a new update.

• Reviewed on 20/09/2019
Laurie G.
Head of Marketing
Consumer Goods, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/02/2019

"Perfect for a Single-Till Business"

Comments: We needed a Point of Sale system that tied in with our web-store, Shopify was perfect for both. The PoS app makes it easy to handle sales out on the shop floor too.

Pros: The ease of finding products within the graphic front-end, including the product images to make identifying niche products easier for staff within great industry knowledge.

Cons: The product set-up can be quite timely without a built in bulk-image management platform.

• Reviewed on 04/02/2019
Mark B.
Realtor Team Leader / Co-Owner"The Marks of Excellence" Team
Real Estate, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/12/2018

"Perfect for vendors"

Pros: This is a very simple easy to use integration. The free card reader and chip reader is a huge plus!

Cons: There is actually nothing we do not like about this product! Does exactly what we need it to do!

• Reviewed on 05/12/2018
Iana L.
content analyst
  • Reviewed on 12/07/2020

"Amazing platform to buy and sell things"

Comments: My overall experience with Shopify POS is a good one

Pros: I love this software because it's a great way to sell staff you have and make this process easy and smooth due to this platform.

Cons: I'd prefer more affordable price and a better layout that's user friendly and time saving, other than that there is nothing I would change.

• Reviewed on 12/07/2020
Tracey B.
Retail, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 17/09/2018

"Great for shows"

Comments: Shopify POS has been a game changer for selling products on the go. Love it!

Pros: This app is perfect for having a booth at a show so that you can sell the inventory you have or even take orders and it all goes through your Shopify store that way your sales are still tracked there.

Cons: I’ve been so pleased with this app that it’s difficult to think of a con.

• Reviewed on 17/09/2018
Shannon B.
Co-Owner
  • Reviewed on 15/12/2018

"Perfect for vendors"

Pros: We use this service to link to our shopify store at craft shows and vendor events. We have NEVER had an issue with the product! Plus, they give you a FREE chip reader with the shopify subscription. SO MUCH BETTER THAN PAYPAL!

Cons: NOTHING! Product is PERFECT just as it is. I cannot find anything negative to say

• Reviewed on 15/12/2018
Paul B.
  • Reviewed on 10/12/2018

"Seamless way to integrate pop up store with website"

Pros: This has allowed me to sell my inventory offline, you can even take payments.

Cons: The android app seemed to use my phone battery quite quickly.

• Reviewed on 10/12/2018
Randy L.
Environmental Engineer
Environmental Services, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/05/2020

"Good but confusing"

Comments: I used this program to try e commerce. It was very simple to navigate

Pros: I like how you can use this program to help you sell your online products. It should be simple, however because I was not able to sell my product, I could not unlock it's full potential

Cons: The program itself does not have any bad features. I was just not able to sell my products. Monitoring my products were simple thanks to this app.

• Reviewed on 27/05/2020
Lincey V.
  • Reviewed on 02/01/2019

"Great to charge credit cards at shows and fairs"

Comments: I much prefer Shopify POS than Paypal here, Stripe and Etsy reader (I tried them all).

Pros: Easy to use, non-laggy software to process credit card payments in person. The whole catalog from my Shopify store is connected and each product can be easily added to the bill. I often use the 'Quick sale' option for fast checkouts on which we simply enter the amount to charge. Shopify sent a free credit card reader that can read chips. The charge on the reader lasts for well over a day, which is perfect when you don't have access to power.

Cons: Sometimes (rarely) my phone and the reader won't detect each other and I have to enter the credit card number manually, which isn't ideal.

• Reviewed on 02/01/2019
Stephanie M.
Inventory Manager
Consumer Goods, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/06/2018

"Shopify POS is easy to use and great for places with distinct items"

Pros: When using it to process payments, it's intuitive to use. Simply use the search bar to search product name or SKU and relevant products with photos comes up. It's best used for products with few variants or with detailed variants. In our cafe, it allows baristas to show all customizations of drinks right on the receipt which increases efficiency in our store. We can also adjust what tax applies on each order or product in the order, and can create discounts on the spot. Also, it offers a 'quick sale' function which allows the staff member to add a product without going to the back end of the system. Additionally, customers can be added to the order meaning that our stored customer information can be added once the customer is ready for checkout. This is particularly useful when some customers have credits on their accounts, or have tax-free status.

Cons: While searching, even if the whole SKU is put in, Shopify POS (in its tile view) will only show the product, not the variant within it. Also, it doesn't show the SKU unless you press and hold the product image. This can be time-consuming and can sometimes lead to staff accidentally selecting the wrong product, despite knowing the exact SKU of the product they were looking for. Also, if our wifi ever disconnects in the store, the POS on the ipads is rendered useless. There should be some way of temporarily logging orders placed while offline then uploading them to the system. And since the latest update, it takes about 4 steps to let a customer pay once the order has been input if they are paying with debit/credit since we use external terminals.

• Reviewed on 26/06/2018
Patent Draftsman
  • Reviewed on 06/12/2017

"Shopify is by far the best shopping cart I've every used, and the POS is no exception."

Comments: It's constantly saving us money. With Shopify POS we don't have to spend anything extra for the POS support that connects into our existing shopping cart.

Pros: VALUE. Shopify allowed us to have a free developer account to test and work through our hesitations before paying a penny for the cart. The POS system comes with the cart for free, it works flawlessly on any apple device, I haven't tried the android offering, but I'm sure it's great as well. The account comes with multiple logins for managing employees with specified permissions for keeping eyes and fingers out of places they shouldn't be. And to top it all off it has a fantastic API connection that allows us to connect it to our Fishbowl Inventory Management system, which brings in the orders from both cart and POS and sorts the inventory out, handles the shipping with shipstation, posts back tracking and fulfills the orders in shopify and all the while capturing all the financial data in QB. I could seriously fire multiple employees for all the time and work this automation is doing for me.

Cons: If I had to complain it would be that there are some things you can't customize that you might be able to with one of the self hosted carts such as magento, woocommerce, or even magento 2.

• Reviewed on 06/12/2017
Scotty H.
  • Reviewed on 03/12/2019

"Shopify's POS Software makes our in-person events happen"

Comments: My overall experience with the POS software has been extremely positive. I have only had issues when I've brought the POS Hardware into the equation with faulty and unreliable bluetooth pairing.

Pros: What I like most about the software is the ability to use it in a few different ways. During an event, I can use the search feature to add the actual product to the shopping cart for better inventory keeping, or I can do a "quick sale" and just enter the total amount for custom orders. I really like the flexibility there.

Cons: The pairing of the software and the hardware (credit card reader, in this case) is spotty at best. There are a lot of times that we have to manually enter CC information because we can't get the bluetooth pairing to work correctly. Would love a physical "docking" ability as a failsafe.

• Reviewed on 03/12/2019