15 years helping British businesses

About DigitalOcean

A cloud built for developers. Powerful & scalable. Quickly and easily spin up a high-performance database cluster.

Learn more about DigitalOcean

Pros:

Great UI - you can do everything in the browser without using CLI - create new web servers, managed databases, bucket storage. API matches Amazon S3 - familiar methods of interacting with resources.

Cons:

Although their cost is really low, it is necessary to calculate them and it can be a bit complicated.

DigitalOcean ratings

4.3

8.8/10

DigitalOcean has an overall rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars based on 129 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used DigitalOcean before?

Romaric
Romaric
Web graphic designer in Cameroon

DigitalOcean

Comments: Digital ocean saves the cost of hosting both for my company and for the clients and this keeps me happy especially as I get the best speed performance too. I recommend digital ocean

Pros:

Currently, Digital ocean is my number one recommended VPS provider. It provides reliable and flexible hosting features which can fully be managed by the user himself.Although it does require advanced knowledge in cloud computing, but did its best to maintain everything simple and straightforward.The company offers step-by-step article guides for all its products. This keeps the customer well-oriented.All of the servers are hosted in secure and trusted countries and this ensures an accurate distribution of data, hence providing more speed and enthusiasm for users and site owners.It offers flexible pricing plans which are easily scalable (depending on the user's needs) and what entices me more is the pay-as-you-go pricing model which enables me to pay for only what I use. This is quite different from all these web hosting companies who will trick you to pay for some hosting commitments.I run more than three WordPress websites on a single droplet ( 2Cores CPU, 2 Gb RAM, and Ubuntu 18.04), and after testing three different themes and a number of plugins; the speed performance results are still amazing.The Digital ocean user interface is very neat & organized. This helps to facilitate feature placement recognition. The company also provides a built-in commands terminal which makes it easier to run the server installation process as well as any other reacquired components.The company support staff is very friendly.

Cons:

I have no issues with its quality of service so far, maybe there might be some in the future. But as for now, everything works to my expectations.

Dylan
Dylan
Software Developer in UK
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

My new favourite cloud provider.

Comments: Porting my app to DigitalOcean was an absolute breeze. We went looking for a platform as a service provider that could replace Heroku without losing all the zero-config creature comforts we have come to expect, and DigitalOcean has more than met the mark. We are confident that we will have every need met throughout our scaling journey, and that the pricing will be fair all the way up.

Pros:

DigitalOcean is the simplest and most cost-effective platform-as-a-service provider I have ever used. Their simplicity does not come at additional cost unlike Heroku, and they have all the tooling and infrastructure to manage your every cloud need. Their documentation is spectacular, and their support is second to none.

Cons:

If there are any cons to using DigitalOcean, I haven't encountered them yet. My experience so far has been absolutely flawless and I am a very happy customer.

Alternatives Considered: Amazon EC2 and Render

Reasons for Choosing DigitalOcean: We started looking for an alternate provider when our client's scale meant Herokus pricing started to hurt, and DigitalOcean was the best option we could find for meeting our budget goals while maintaining the zero-config platform we had come to expect.

Switched From: Heroku

Reasons for Switching to DigitalOcean: Fair flat-rate pricing, zero-config deployments with pre-built buildpacks, and everything we needed from a cloud provider like CDN networks, load balancing and auto scaling.

Clayton
Designer in US
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, Self Employed

Great boxes, simple pricing!

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Been pretty hands off, I like it. Transparent pricing, never an issue with uptime.

Pros:

Easy to set up a server and modify them. DigitalOcean integrates seamlessly with Forge which was great. Lots of support docs which helped me set up my own linux server from scratch!

Cons:

A tiny bit confusing if you don't know the terms.

Alternatives Considered: Amazon S3

Reasons for Switching to DigitalOcean: DigitalOcean worked seamlessly with Laravel Forge, so it was a clear selection.

Omer
Manager in Bulgaria
Airlines/Aviation, 2–10 Employees

Terrible hosting!

Comments: I have used Digital Ocean for more than 2 years and I regret it. I started over the recommendation of our freelancer, but in 2 years, I always had a hard time, from setting up, to managing, to backup, and performance, everything was very hard and confusing for me. And whenever I had a problem and opened a ticket, I only received automated responses and never heard from a real person answering my messages! In the end, one of my sites was hacked because of Digital Ocean and they didn't even bother to respond to me for anything at all! I finally pulled the plug and changed to another hosting provider which I am happy with! So, in short, if you are not a genius with IT, stay away from Digital Ocean. Or if you use, pray that you will not have any problems and will need technical support, because if you do, support will be nowhere to be found! Stay away at all costs! You will regret it!

Pros:

nothing, nothing at all! I didnt like anyting at all.

Cons:

Stay away at all costs! You will regret it!

James
Owner in US
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Fast, Secure, Inexpensive and Easy to Use

Comments: Very easy to use, predictable billing, stable servers, no unexpected surprises.

Pros:

I originally went with DigitalOcean because it integrated well with SpinupWP. I have found that DigitalOcean is very stable, has a very easy to use interface and is a cost effective solution to moving off of shared hosting like Siteground, iPower, GoDaddy, etc. and having more resources and control. Probably not for everybody, but if you are hosting many projects and want speed and control it is a top choice.

Cons:

I really have not found anything I dislike about DigitalOcean, in fact to this point I have still not had to contact their customer support.

Alternatives Considered: Kinsta and Cloudways

Reasons for Choosing DigitalOcean: I needed faster speeds, more resources, and more control over my hosting environment than I could get with shared hosting

Switched From: iPower and SiteGround

Reasons for Switching to DigitalOcean: I ultimately decided to go with a combination of SpinupWP and DigitalOcean because it was more inexpensive and gave me complete control. Again, probably not right for everyone in my situation but it has worked well for me.

Eric
Eric
Digital Marketer in UK
Consumer Services, 2–10 Employees

DigitalOcean Review

Comments: My overall experience has been top-notch, we have never had any problem using it from day one and i highly recommend it.

Pros:

What I like most about DigitalOcean are its ease of use and user-friendly interface. DigitalOcean provides a simple and intuitive control panel that makes it easy for users to create and manage their resources, such as Droplets, spaces, load balancers, and more. This can be beneficial for users who are new to cloud computing or who want to avoid the complexity of other cloud providers.

Cons:

The only throwback I have with DigitalOcean is that it may not have as many features and services as some of the larger cloud providers, such as AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud. DigitalOcean focuses mainly on providing simple, easy-to-use solutions for developers and small to medium-sized businesses, and may not have as many specialized services or advanced features as some of the larger providers. But am sure they are working on adding more features soon.

Alternatives Considered: Microsoft Azure , AWS Lambda and Google Cloud Storage

Reasons for Choosing DigitalOcean: Because of its user-friendly interface and easy-to-use solutions platform.

Switched From: Google Cloud

Reasons for Switching to DigitalOcean: Because of its user-friendly interface and easy-to-use solutions platform.

Daniel
Daniel
Founder in Argentina
Internet, 2–10 Employees

Digital Ocean is in my top 5 for hosting solutions

Comments: Digital Ocean accomodates all kind of public. I use it's services for my small to medium business websites, for hosting, databases and backup. I also deploy my internal tools there. It's affordable, reliable and also plays nice with others.

Pros:

You can depend on Digital Ocean. It's server are very sturdy, you can choose from a very wide range of options and everything is documented.

Cons:

It's complicated to setup properly, but it's getting better every day. This is not Digital Ocean's fault, Cloud Computing is though.

Alternatives Considered: Kinsta , Amazon S3 , Managed WooCommerce and Google Cloud

Reasons for Choosing DigitalOcean: Mostly pricing issues: Digital Ocean let me choose how much I will pay for something in advance. Also, it gives more value for money than a standard VPS solution.

Switched From: Amazon RDS , Cloud VPS , Google Cloud and Dreamhost VPS

Reasons for Switching to DigitalOcean: Easy to deploy, affordable solutions, but also less managing options. Digital Ocean has it's own uses cases, different from other providers.

Lazer
Lazer
Applications Developer in US
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Intuitive Tools for Creating Infrastructure

Comments: I've been really happy with DigitalOcean. I started out just messing around with a small side project to stay sharp. I'm now running a server for an API, another server for a frontend app, and a managed DB that the API pulls from. Connecting these was easy and connecting my domains to different servers was easy. I have loved working in DigitalOcean and I love that the prices are low enough that I could play around without any real intent of making a profitable project, and that breathing space let me run the servers and resources for long enough that I actually have something up and running pretty nicely with just a few hours here and there to tinker.

Pros:

- Great UI - you can do everything in the browser without using CLI - create new web servers, managed databases, bucket storage - API matches Amazon S3 - familiar methods of interacting with resources - Pricing is great, 200GB bucket storage runs $5/mo, Servers start at $5 month, managed DB at $15/mo. - CDN for fast delivery across the globe - Easy to understand your bill and not get bit. You can create an image of your server and then kill the server, so you are not being charged server prices ($$/month) and just image prices (pennies/month). This makes it easy to put a project on hold and come back in the future without paying a ton to host something that's just waiting for you. - One-click to spin up a provisioned Ubuntu droplet, LAMP stack or dozens of preconfigured server images. I especially liked this feature because I'm not a linux genius and getting Apache and PHP setup can take me hours of tears and frustration. Instead, you can just select an image that interests you and 30 seconds later you have a server ready to go. - Floating IPs let you lock in a permanent IP address even though you may start and stop servers and their individual IPs might change - Domain management. This is a key feature. If you move your nameservers to DO, it's stupid easy to create subdomains and point them to your DO servers. - Easy to resize/upgrade a server, add RAM or disk space. - Tons of Q&A, any time I had a question someone else had already asked it and received a clear answer.

Cons:

There is the occasional UI bug, and sometimes I get an email about a region having some temporary hold on creating new servers. Nothing that lasts more than a few minutes, and usually its something like "We are temporarily disabling the ability to create new servers in the NYC3 Region" but existing resources don't go down and if I desperately needed to start a new server I could just use any other region and move it to the NYC3 region later if necessary.

Alternatives Considered: Amazon S3

Reasons for Switching to DigitalOcean: Amazon is a little more expensive and their UI is not terribly friendly or pretty. I know that seems silly, but in DigitalOcean the UI explains itself and I always know where to look for what I need. Amazon seems like a really busy UI. Pricing is easy to understand and I felt more confident with DO that I wasn't going to get a surprise bill.

Fernando
CTO and General Manager in Mexico
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

A great place to start and for small projects

Comments: We love DigitalOcean, whenever we need to deploy something small or test some new things in the wild, it is our go-to option.

Pros:

It's cheap, easy to use, easy to set up and the uptime and documentation is amazing.

Cons:

As more resources are needed and/or the project works, maybe a more managed solution could be a better option, higher tiers are not as much of a value for your money.

Alternatives Considered: Vultr , Kinsta and Linode

Reasons for Switching to DigitalOcean: Our development team had ample experience with DigitalOcean and the price was great.

Divaldo
CEO in Portugal
Consumer Services, Self Employed

Excellent VPS hosting provider

Comments: Excellent experience! Whenever there is no need to contact a company's support, it is a sign that they have a solid solution, as well as a very broad knowledge base. Whenever I needed to investigate the installation of apps on VPS I found a huge amount of documentation and videos.

Pros:

Own hosting panel, simple and intuitive. I never needed to use the support, as it's all so simple :-)

Cons:

I didn't find any point that I didn't like, I used it a lot during COVID where I had installed several APPS, one of which was jitsi, which provided access to my family for video conferencing and not having to pay for ZOOM.

Greg
Director in UK

Simplicity without compromising features

Comments: I switched to Digital Ocean from AWS after a long and considered research phase. The problems I wanted to avoid were 1) unpredictable pricing, 2) vendor tie-in, 3) difficult to get performance without just paying more. With Digital Ocean, all of the above points were hit, and I feel totally control of my company's digital infrastructure.

Pros:

With Digital Ocean, you get exactly what you pay for. Unlike other cloud providers, if you pay for a server with X capacity, you get exactly that, without any secret charges or "token" based performance. The pricing is predictable and the decisions are made simple. On top of this, the web-based user interface is well thought out and allows you to organise your servers into teams and projects. Each team can have separate billing but it is all predictable.

Cons:

The web admin user interface is a little slow and clunky at times. It does the job, and is pleasant to look at, but seeing an animation of a shark swimming every time you click a button is common. I can't knock the functionality, but the way the web application has been built means that every action requires a loading animation, which can really get in the way of the task at hand.

Alternatives Considered: Google Cloud

Reasons for Choosing DigitalOcean: Unpredictable pricing, complex and unpredictable performance of servers, vendor tie-in

Switched From: Amazon EC2

Reasons for Switching to DigitalOcean: Simplicity, with the tools available to scale when needed.

Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

DigitalOcean is my favorite go-to hosting solution

Comments: I am overall extremely satisfied with DigitalOcean, but like every company - I think there are some core features they can (and should) improve.

Pros:

- They have an extremely clear pricing model - you always know what you're gonna be paying that month (no unexpected charges of $5k). - It's really simple to get setup and working - They allow for Floating IP's (for free, while being assigned to a droplet) and this allows you to really quickly reroute traffic to another service. - It has a very well documented and powerful API so you can automate repetitive tasks - They generally respond well to user feature requests on their portal.

Cons:

- It feels like snapshotting or creating a new server takes longer than it needs to. - You cannot download snapshots. - You cannot transfer services (like a droplet or ip) to another account or team.

Alternatives Considered: Amazon EC2

IT Manager in US
Entertainment, 2–10 Employees

Excellent VPS Hosting

Comments: DigitalOcean basically runs all of our cloud infrastructure at this point! From web servers and databases to our inventory management applications- everything has never been more stable, secure and I 10/10 recommend DigitalOcean!

Pros:

The ease of use is really what shines here, it just works. Over the past 2 years I have had almost no downtime! All of my cloud infrastructure runs on Digital Ocean now, and I've never even bothered looking elsewhere!

Cons:

The only downfall, is that I wish there were more flexible pricing options. I wish there was a droplet sized smaller then the $5 option, as well as more a-la-carte options

Alternatives Considered: Amazon S3 and Google Cloud

Reasons for Switching to DigitalOcean: Pricing and customer service

Web developer in UK
Internet, Self Employed

A cheap, but powerful, way of hosting projects

Comments: I have found DigitalOcean to be incredibly useful, extensible, and cheap. The learning curve was very steep, for someone not really used to using the command line. However, once I'd put in the initial work, I now have a very capable setup.

Pros:

For basic use, the lowest tier (or Droplet, in DigitalOcean speak) is very attractive. Regular automatic backups can be added for a small fee, and Droplets can be increased in size and power very easily to match your needs. It really is a blank slate, so you can install pretty much any software onto a Droplet.

Cons:

It can be quite intimidating to have to set up everything yourself. If you're coming from a regular hosting service, such as GoDaddy or Heart Internet, the amount of steps involved to just get a basic server up and running, coupled with keeping everything safe from security loopholes and hacking attempts, can be off-putting.

Bill Laurel
Bill Laurel
Developer in France
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Fast, Easy, and Reliable Hosting with DigitalOcean

Pros:

DigitalOcean is an ideal choice for backend development, as it offers a great deal of flexibility in terms of server options, an intuitive user interface, and fast deployment cycles. Developers have access to virtual private servers (VPS) and dedicated servers, allowing them to customize the server according to their specific needs, from the size and type of hardware to the operating system and software installed. Additionally, the wide range of pre-configured options allows for quick setup and deployment, making it ideal for automated deployments. These features make DigitalOcean one of the best choices for backend development, enabling developers to develop and deploy applications rapidly.

Cons:

I dislike that DigitalOcean does not offer as many services as some of their competitors. They are making a great effort to add more services, but they are still behind in comparison to other cloud providers.

Stefan
Manager in Romania
Building Materials, 2–10 Employees

My favorite vps provider

Pros:

That is cheap and has great community support

Cons:

Biling i would like to pay anualy not wvery month

Alternatives Considered: Google Cloud

Reasons for Choosing DigitalOcean: DO had support for serverpilot, and my websites worket faster at the moment i made the tests

Gianluigi
Gianluigi
Devops Engineer in Italy
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Good Cloud Provider

Comments: We have a good experience with Digital Ocean. We use a couple od droplets with a managed DB to implement a custom backup system. We are evaluating their Kubernetes managed service.

Pros:

I like the UI which is very intuitive. For a begineer it's probably the best choice respect to other cloud providers. Another great aspect is the price, really cheap to start a basic droplet or a managed DB. Documentation is good and many problems are already resolved if you find over internet.

Cons:

If you need a complex but really full of features Cloud Provider maybe Digital Ocean lacks for some services and specific configurations. Anyway they are working hard to add even more features.

Alternatives Considered: Linode

Switched From: Linode

Reasons for Switching to DigitalOcean: Ease of use and good pricing

Sakthi
System Administrator in India
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Good Cloud and Infrastructure providers for hosting

Comments: very good cloud service providers for small scale and startups.

Pros:

Digital Ocean help us to provide virtual machines within our budget and easy to manage services provide by digital ocean without complexity.

Cons:

Based on our usage digital ocean fulfil our requirements. They need to add more services like other cloud competitors.

Leonardo
Leonardo
CMO in Germany
Legal Services, 11–50 Employees

Super solid software

Pros:

Easy to maintain and great support and community around their products.

Cons:

Setting up something can be a challenge if you are not as technical.

Saqib
Surgeon in UK
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2–10 Employees

Great team at Digital Ocean

Comments: We are really pleased with Digital Ocean - its the hosting solution for the pros and their ethical support is second to none.

Pros:

Very powerful web hosting, extremely kind and supportive ethos (Digital Ocean were kind enough to support our community project with additional credits). Great range of apps.

Cons:

This is a completely different experience to web hosting than standard hosting companies like siteground, bluehost, godaddy. One requires much more knowledge on creating apps and websites, and requires pro support to sometimes get the things done you took for granted (like installing SSL / managing your files / installing apps)

Ashen
Software Engineer in Sri Lanka
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Excellent Service

Comments: So far we had smooth service. Everything seems perfect. If email services were there it will be even better. Anyhow value for money.

Pros:

Overall service is excellent. The control panel is extremely user friendly and the pricing is also affordable. The performance of the basic droplets are note worthy and value for money. Highly recommended.

Cons:

We faced few issues on email services. The service currently does not support email services thefore there is a need to connect the product with external services.

Eitan
CEO in Israel
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Really fast and easy to use and scale servers

Pros:

The servers are really fast and easy to deploy, manage and scale. you can use between a lot of templates of applications that can be automatically installed on your server

Cons:

There is only a minimal DDoS protection comes with the VPS servers.

Nick
CEO in Netherlands
Human Resources, 2–10 Employees

Easy to scale with DO

Pros:

The droplets are amazing if your company is scaling up. With Just a single click you can scale up you storage and/or memory.

Cons:

Back ups are quite expensive compared with their other services.

Jose J
Jose J
CTO in US
Market Research, 2–10 Employees

Great Cloud Computing Service for any Business

Pros:

I like the simplicity of the interface to manage our instances (droplets). The marketplace offers fast deployments of a variety of web apps and cloud software that speed up our development processes.

Cons:

The only con I have experienced with Digital Ocean was a slow response from customer support when having trouble disabling the 2-factor authentication. Aside from that, DigitalOcean customer support has been helpful and kind.

Gregory
Software Engineer in Switzerland
Entertainment, Self Employed

Need a cheap and easily deployable server? DigitalOcean is the right choice

Pros:

The clean User Interface of their website make a great experience. Combined with the fact that a simple server can be quickly deployed with the help of droplets makes DigitalOcean an easy choice.

Cons:

If you are not a bit knowledgeable in the sector then it can get confusing with all the options they offer, but they provide many in depth guide on how to set everything up.