15 years helping British businesses

Trimble e-Builder Reviews

About Trimble e-Builder

The leading cloud-based, construction program management software solution for capital project owners.

Learn more about Trimble e-Builder

Pros:

The thing I like most about this product is that it is easy to use, when it is working. Fix the bugs and I'll come back.

Cons:

No iCloud, DropBox, Google interphase or anything.

Trimble e-Builder ratings

4.0
4.3
4.2
4.1

8.1/10

Trimble e-Builder has an overall rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars based on 419 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Trimble e-Builder before?

Joseph
Joseph
Senior Engineer in Kenya
Computer Software, 201–500 Employees

Agrxis Review on e-Builder Enterprise

Comments: I can state with confidence that e-Builder Enterprise has changed the game for my business based on my overall experiences with it. I use e-Builder Enterprise as a project manager to optimize and declutter our project management procedures. I can use the program with ease and get the information I need thanks to its user-friendly design and intuitive layout. The platform's extensive capabilities, including budget monitoring, document management, and change order management, have significantly increased our project execution efficiency and accuracy. It has been quite convenient for me to use the mobile app to access and manage projects from anywhere, especially while I'm out in the field. When I've had any problems, e-Builder Enterprise's customer service has also been outstanding, with quick replies and beneficial advice. Overall, e-Builder Enterprise has completely changed how we handle project management, and I heartily endorse it to any business in need of a complete and dependable project management solution.

Pros:

My favorite aspect of using e-Builder Enterprise is its extensive and potent collection of project management options. I like being able to track and manage every facet of a project from a single, centralized platform as a user. I can precisely monitor project spending and guarantee financial transparency thanks to the software's strong budget monitoring and task pricing features. The ability to access information and manage projects while on the road makes the mobile access function stand out as well. The platform has excellent document management capabilities that offer a safe and orderly method to store and exchange project-related data.

Cons:

The difficulty of the user interface and navigation was the aspect of e-Builder Enterprise that I liked the least. It was difficult for me as a user to find certain features and rapidly get the data I required. To improve user experience and shorten the learning curve for new users, the platform may need a more simple-to-use UI.

Michelle
Business Systems Analyst in US
Higher Education, 5,001–10,000 Employees

PSU E-Builder review

Comments: I personally am e-Builder certified and have been utilizing e-Builder since PSU’s procurement and implementation.

Pros:

Easy fo get up to speed as an admin. Consistent project data. Easy to maintain and. improve processes.

Cons:

The submittal module is clunky. Which we had a try BIM module again. Lack of communication regarding system issues.

Steven
Executive Project Analyst in US
Construction, 51–200 Employees

Base functionality fine, reporting and metrics lacking

Pros:

Look and feel of the product is nice and being upgraded.

Cons:

Reporting and some modules, such as timetracking, are short sited lack luster and built without functionality that would be expected.

Capital Projects Director in US
Government Administration, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Works like it is supposed to

Comments: Great support staff and they always either know the answer to your question or get it quickly and get back to you the same day

Pros:

Easy to navigate and the ability to see everything that is being submitted and who’s court it is in

Cons:

Learning and setting up work flows was a long process

Tiffany
Special Projects Administrator in US
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 51–200 Employees

e-Builder is great for project management from start to finish

Comments: e-Builder is beneficial to companies doing project management, design management, contract management, budgeting and document storage.

Pros:

I like the document management and contract management functions.

Cons:

I don't think it is user friendly to the degree that, in order to one thing done, you have to apply it in many different areas of the software. If you skip one application, it is void.

Justin
Justin
Construction Manager in US
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 11–50 Employees

Used to hate it, now I tolerate it

Pros:

+Extremely customisable. This is construction management software that you can tailor to fit the needs of your project. I've used e-Builder for three (3) different higher education institutions and each University is able to tailor e-Builder to fit the project's needs. +Notifications. E-Builder will email you a notification when you have a RFI to respond to, when you have a submittal to review, when you've been copied on a RFI response, etc. This is very helpful and allows you to notify multiple individuals at once through the software. It also keeps a record. +Documentation. E-Builder is meant to store documentation and it does excel in this. I've used e-Builder to access submittals, RFIs, drawing revisions, etc. on long term projects (24-36 month construction) when sometimes the documentation was uploaded years back. E-Builder does not put a time limit on an upload, so you can always access it.

Cons:

-Training is definitely required to use e-Builder. It can be confusing with different terminologies used such as "forms", "processes", etc. I just need to find submittals and RFIs but can easily get lost. Without training, it is easy to hate e-Builder, just like I did in the beginning. -Cost - this is not a cheap software and licenses can be costly.

Veronica
Project Controls Administrator in US

I am an e-Builder Champion

Comments: My overall experience has gone well. Though we have had several client managers, the transitions have gone well and follow up to concerns typically are addressed in a timely fashion.

Pros:

I enjoy the fact that it has allowed my organization to evaluate our workflows and streamline things. Creating and editing workflows in e-Builder has been simple to do.

Cons:

I would like to see the Start step of a process have the ability to change based upon the initiator’s role within e-Builder.

Heidi
PMO Manager in US
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 501–1,000 Employees

Heidi’s review

Comments: I learn new things every day, and eB becomes more and more useful the more I learn and find new ways to do things.

Pros:

I love the workflows in e-Builder. It cuts down on paper, the time it takes to get docs routed for signatures, allows for tracking and provides transparency.

Cons:

e-Builder is not intuitive to set up. Without someone with experience it is hard to make configuration decisions during implementation.

Bryan
Project Managers in US
Utilities, 501–1,000 Employees

OCU experience

Comments: Excellent so far. Glad to transition to the product. As a Construction manager, I have visibility over key metrics to support project management.

Pros:

User friendly system. Easy to adjust work flows to fit our needs.

Cons:

Implementation was challenging with BA turnaround.

Mike
Civil Engineer in US

Builder review

Comments: As an administrator I and my team have done more than was done during implementation. It is a reasonably intuitive system and we are getting things where they need to be

Pros:

Compiling all project data in one place as a one source of truth

Cons:

The implementation was very long with extended periods where both sides were unproductive and we were not given any initial product training so we could effectively engage with the implementation team

Jedd
Director of Architecture and Planning Services in US
Education Management, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Recent e-Builder Deployment

Comments: We started looking at cloud-based project management software packages in 2008. After deploying a product that ended up not being a good fit for our company we approached e-Builder in mid-2015 and went live in January of 2016. As they say, the rest is history.

Pros:

The system is flexible, forgiving, intuitive, configurable, and extremely robust. The system works as advertised and as expected. e-Builder is always willing to address our comments and concerns and communicates the status of known issues. There isn't just one thing I like about the product, there are many. The cost module reflects true construction cost accounting with the ability to track multiple funding sources, budgets, commitments, and expenses. The process module is highly configurable to meet our unique process needs. We can easily reconfigure things without contacting e-Builder. The document feature has many bonus features to enable uploading, sharing, redlining, etc. of drawings and documents. All documents loaded into the system through other modules (i.e. cost, calendar, process, etc.) land in the actual document module as anticipated and expected. The reporting module is extremely robust, providing real time data relative to projects, costs, etc. The bidding module has greatly simplified and reduced our work load. Our bidding process is practically automated now. The mail merge feature is awesome! We've integrated with DocuSign which has simplified approvals and signatures. The meeting minutes feature in the calendar module enables easy tracking of minutes. And on, and on, and on.

Cons:

The thing I like least has nothing to do with the product or the vendor. I'm frustrated with individual user's inability to truly adopt the product and change how they do things. Old dogs have a hard time learning new tricks.

Rosanna
Associate Project Manager in US
Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ Employees

Good Overall Program for Budget Management

Pros:

I like the ability to go in and make all the necessary changes to my project with little effort. Setting up new Commitments, process changes and incoming invoices has been relativity easy. I have developed a system for my project and the three years that I have been working in e-Builder I have had a very smooth.

Cons:

I am definitely not a fan of the recent changes that have been made with the sorting and search features. I loved being able to scroll down my screen and see all the information for my PO's, changes and invoices. Until the latest update. Since then my ability to view the items that I work with the most has been dramatically hindered. I spend more time searching and re searching than ever before. My productivity has plummeted since the new changes. Recently I had to process 26 CCA's at one time, and had to spend an hour or so trying to get them processed. This used to be such an easier process. There is no longer the ability to use the back button on you computer, you must start over from the beginning and this is quite time consuming.

Cylix
Construction Manager
Construction, 10,000+ Employees

Good system that is constantly improving

Comments: Great system, keep up the good work. You have a good team of intelligent programmers and customer service providers. Having a road map and plan for the direction of the group is imperative and will keep the creative people focused on where the application needs to go. There are little bugs here and there in the system, or parts that do not function exactly as we want causing us to create work-arounds.

Pros:

The interface is very intuitive, the modules are helpful and the functions are logical. We have had success in generating reports that executives can use to make strategic company-wide decisions as construction consumes the most capital resources available.

Cons:

There are some functions and features that could be improved as they are starting to compete with other applications available. As an example we want to use the schedule module more but the Microsoft project application is much easier so we end up importing MS project files instead of generating the original project schedules in eBuilder. We want all-in-one most of the time but it would require integration with MS products or building a clone which we understand is time consuming and expensive.

Pablo
Project Manager in US
Construction, 10,000+ Employees

Review

Comments: Tracking processes, Change Orders, looking for stored documents, managing invoices, etc.

Pros:

Not easy to use at all. Many issues may be due to the implementation and not you. The owner of the enterprise is Broward County Public Schools, so I really don't know if the issues are due to you, or to the owner.

Cons:

When I want to export a list into Excel, its easy to do. BUT...if the list goes over to another page, then I have to go to the second page, and generate ANOTHER spreadsheet. Then I have two spreadsheets with identical name that I have to consolidate.Also, When I print an attachment (and by print it can be show as a pdf or word document, E-Builder does not keep the name of the document and gives it a generic name. If I have several of those PDFs open, I don't know which is which.I only understand about 10% of the software capabilities. Not user-friendly AT ALL. It is absolutely counter-intuitive to do anything, and training here is exceedingly poor.I like to produce charts. I've tried to self learn how to do so. Impossible.I see there is something like a Dashboard. This would be so useful to customize so as to have a lot of important information on a single screen or report, but it has been impossible for me to get ahead on this.

Boyd
Vice President in US

Happy user for almost 10 years

Comments: Improved project management. Drives consistent application of project management processes.

Pros:

Strong program focused on helping Owners efficiently manage capital projects through the design and construction process. Flexible processes allow Owners to customize process flows to match their unique needs. Ability to integrate a wide variety of project team members into the processes helps maximize process efficiency and collaboration. Reports for day to day use are easy to set up, flexible and functional.

Cons:

Schedule module is still clunky. Difficult to drawn data from across modules to create certain types of comprehensive reports. In some cases data must be downloaded to Excel and further manipulated to capture desired analysis. Licensing cost structure can make it cost prohibitive to include project team members outside of the Owner's staff and take full advantage of the collaborate potential of the software.

Dennis
Director, Facilities Management Department in US
Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ Employees

Great Project Management Software

Comments: We think e-Builder is a great product. We have been using e-Builder to manage capital projects since 2009. We added our Facility Engineering budgets and projects in 2012. We use all of the e-Builder modules. We use processes extensively to control both the flow of information; i.e., RFI, ASI, POC, etc. and cost; i.e., budget changes, contract and PO approvals, AFP and invoices. We using the bidding module heavily. Also, e-Builder is integrated with our financial system software allowing us to expedite vendor payments after they are approved in e-Builder.

Pros:

The ability to create and modify workflow processes to standardize these activities and provide visibility of their status at any step in the process. The responsiveness of the customer support that we receive on those rare occassions when we have an issue with the software or want to implement a non-standard modfication.

Cons:

I can't think of anything that I don't like about this software.

Emily
Construction Technology Coordinator in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 10,000+ Employees

E-builder Software

Comments: Very good. Everyone is friendly and helpful.

Pros:

The cost module and process functions are user friendly and easy to navigate.

Cons:

The submittal module could use some help. Integration features with other programs is a must that is not available without incurring extra fees.

Katie
e-Builder and Technology Specialist in US

e-Builder is very useful

Pros:

This product is very helpful for Project Management. I like the flexibility of the roles and permissions so that each user only sees what they need to see. We can control our data.

Cons:

I would like to see a better way to update many projects at once. A change in the folder structure or adding a budget line can mean going through hundreds of open projects to do the corrections. Adding a new folder also means making sure permissions are set correctly. I would also like to see a search feature in the Managing membership of users. We have hundreds of projects, some with similar names and some names are too long for the space given, so it can be challenging to find the one project to add to a user.

Robert
Applications Developer in US
Civil Engineering, 10,000+ Employees

Expensive but useful

Comments: Overall, if you can afford it, you wont find a better project management software. This really can do it all. This is a top to bottom management software that really can manage all aspects of project management. For some projects this is a little overkill. There are so many features. If you're working on $100k project this might not be the software for you. If you're working on a $100M project I would highly recommend it.

Pros:

I like the custom aspects of this software. With the help of the support agents we have been able to really customize some of the features for our project. We use lots of custom processes and flows to manage workflow and control QA/QC of documents. The interface is also easy to use.

Cons:

The price is a major con. This software is very expensive but I would say that it is worth the cost. Another con is how complex the software is to use. We have to have a support agent to help with management and had to have an entire team to help with setup. This is not an out of the box solution. You will need some assistance from tremble and eBuilder staff.

Nadja
Senior Civil Engineer in US
Utilities, 1,001–5,000 Employees

eBuilder Review

Pros:

The cost module is very powerful. The cash flow curves are helpful in projecting the amounts that we plan on spending. The BI module is also very good, for most things. I like the features of the documents module, such as emailing files and sharing folders with non account holders. They also have a good support service.

Cons:

Construction management can use some improvement. This includes improvement to the meeting module, daily reports and punch list. I've also seen issues with the schedule. It's not the best at recognizing milestone tasks and requires some work arounds.

Racquel
e-Builder Administrator in US
Government Administration, 1,001–5,000 Employees

On a scale of 1-5, I would rate the software at a 4.8. I feel this is the best PM tool I have used.

Comments: We been from all areas at this point, especially the reporting functions for extracting data.

Pros:

There are still a few areas where e-B is making improvements. Particularly with document management retrieval and including metadata options. It holds collective information for the ability of everyone to see simultaneous. e Builder is a good construction management tool for the inspectors and construction manager, project manager, contractors, City staff and legal and audit teams.

Cons:

Often lags in the afternoon. Hope the upgrades fix this. We needed better file naming rules. e-Builder needs a better search tool.

Preetam
Project Engineer in US
Construction, 11–50 Employees

Project Control

Comments: So far good.

Pros:

Keeps track of all the process like submittals, RFI, Bulletin, CO, PA, and FA. Also user friendly.

Cons:

Sometime server are very slow while uploading file or sometime it does not accept the file

Tiffany
Manager, Construction Information System in US
Hospital & Health Care, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Honest Review

Comments: e-Builder offers transparent record keeping - we have created 100+ processes that help us keep out department and project team organized and our auditors happy.

Pros:

The system is robust and has great and useful features

Cons:

Need to have a better reporting mechanism especially the dynamic grid reporting. not able to approve outside of the account user that is very frustrating trying to advocate the software to our C suite folks.

Theresa
Assistant Project Manager in US
Construction

I like the Ebuilder interface...colorful versus other database mgmt. software

Pros:

Again, I like the vibrant look of Ebuilder versus other software that handle project database management. I also like how the filter performs when selecting various processes to view.

Cons:

My least favorite of Ebuilder is not being able to easily drag files over into the system. I also am not crazy about how there is no 'reports' on the side tabs when inside a specific project. The process is to the top tabs, select reports, then select the project. A 'reports' tab on the side tabs would be helpful so you do not have to exit the project just to run a report

Jay
Engineer in US
Construction, 51–200 Employees

E-Builder User for MBTA

Comments: The benefits of using E-Builder is it has organized document control and time stamped when documents are submitted/returned.

Pros:

E-Builder is an all-encompassing program that helps with document control and invoices.

Cons:

Items that are in certain users courts stay there without any indication on if the item will move to the next step. Also, no follow up notifications are sent to users who may not know items are in their court. There should be a better way to print summaries of submittals and RFI processes.