Cartoonish, but Poignant

Robert C.
Operations Manager
Computer Software, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall the workflow creates organic structures that aid in understanding complex topics and provide context to attach details to in subjectively relevant locations that contribute to knowledge retention. It creates the most organic-looking results among mind-mapping tools that I've considered. Being required to break down content so atomically forces the user to distill information to its essential components and consider its emergent structure from there. I find complex topics grow organically like colonies of bacteria across sphere surfaces. Thortspace has become my primary tool for learning any important topic. I have created publicly view-able spheres on diverse topics including tax liens and deed investing, blockchain fundamentals, advanced Matlab and Simulink programming for control systems engineering, and a verse-wise study of the Book of Psalms. Several of those maps would span unwieldy acreage in any less succinct mind-mapping tool.

Pros: Thortspace is the only mind-mapping software available with any 3D capabilities. It's really 2 1/2 D, mapping everything on spheres instead of flat pages. But spheres can be chained together in 3D to create clouds of related topics. Sacrifices were made to enable the paradigm. All content must be broken down into sub-tweet-sized "thorts", shown as text-laiden bubbles. Thorts are then categorized and organized into groups which are sticky blobs of thorts that can be rotated, re positioned, and titled. Paths can then be used to relate thorts or groups, or spheres. Categories and path types are entirely user-configurable. I've one set I use for computer science, and an entirely different set I use for Bible study. Thortspace has a "do" mode that presents groups of thorts as a list of lists. Its...there. I've little use for it personally. I find it looses the positional and relational context the information is built with. The "explore" mode has all of the navigation tools "think" mode does, but is read-only. It's useful for freeform review of a sphere's information. Thortspace also has a "present" mode. I often use it to blow people's minds when they're expecting death by PowerPoint in the conservatory. It allows for views of spheres to be sequenced instead of slides.

Cons: The user interface was designed by the psychology department, not the usual software engineering folk. Controls are all present and functional, but not where a sane user would expect to find them, nor is everything entirely labeled sensibly. "Search" for example really acts more like "File", switching among and managing your inventory of spheres. It all makes sense if you're willing to adopt a certain level of psychosis. The image handling features need some streamlining, but they are functional if you're willing to wrestle them. Specifically Thortspace imports image files into its available catalog, and then allows thorts to be painted from its image pallet. Managing the pallet is not intuitive. Pasting an image from the clipboard directly to a thort is a glaringly missing feature.

What can you do with Thortspace?

Reviewed on 31/07/2019
Dasaratha R.
Professor
Higher Education, 5,001-10,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: The software is easy to use, engaging, and looks good when shared in social media. The appearance of spheres on social media is a key factor that drives my use of Thortspace. The Thortspace team is responsive, and many ideas are shared by the user community.

Pros: It is a visually engaging software. I have experimented with many tools over the years, and use Thortspace for the following reasons: 1) the distinctive look of connected spheres, 2) how spheres look when shared on Facebook, Twitter etc., 3) support for multiple ways of categorizing same information, 4) selecting and organizing information into journeys for users. Unlike users who fill the sphere with many thorts, my preference is for a small number of thorts in a sphere. I like to include more text in groups rather than on individual thorts because it is more readable. I like to use Thortspace for storytelling. The point is that there are many ways to use Thortspace that are discovered over time. Thortspace user community on Facebook is a useful resource for discovering ways to use the software.

Cons: While I do not need bi-directional links for all uses, there are situations when I would have liked to have that functionality. I would like to be able to specify colors using codes rather than just selecting from a set of pre-defined colors. Finally, being able to edit thorts in web browser would be very useful in some applications that I would like to develop.

by Gooisoft on 07/08/2019

Thank you very much for reviewing Thortspace mindmap mind mapping software. That is very helpful and kind of you.

Thortspace Multi Uses

Reviewed on 30/07/2019
Janet T.
Educator
Primary/Secondary Education, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I started using Thortspace as I was looking for a mindmapping tool to use personally and in my work with children.
It is a platform full of wonderful surprises.

Pros: Thortspace is a great multi purpose platform. I have discovered lots of creative ways to use it including : creating space in my mind and feeling less overwhelmed by writing ideas in the thorts, typing in simple family menu plans created by my children, thus reducing family stress! dictating ideas for stories when out and about which allows for wider and deeper thinking working collaboratively on a book - chapters and random ideas shared presenting a talk about Growing Teenagers using the Journey facility
creating a story journey called Project Oak Leaf which had hyperlinks to a Youtube video and other relevant documents which I shared in a Primary School. The children loved the 3D display and the way the spheres could be linked together, in this more complex presentation.
mapping out a business start up idea for clarity and coordination capturing key points from shared conversations in a simple cluster The spheres can saved, published, shared and embedded into websites.

Cons: It takes time to get used to.
Fluency develops with practice.
It is best to begin with simple ideas and then build on the skills to create visually interesting and thortful arrays and stories.
There are short and simple training videos to assist

by Gooisoft on 31/07/2019

Thank you very much for reviewing Thortspace ! :-)

An awesome presentation tool.

Reviewed on 29/07/2019
Michael J.
founder
E-Learning, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: It solve the problem of communicating that we have global reach in an informal network. I haven't found another tool that allows people to see the details of any franchise and still be able to see the global picture. That is possible by rotating and zooming.

Pros: The three dimensional appearing interface. The ability to draw connections between spheres and to create spheres with edges touching to group. I really like the structural view to get close in and the global view to see the whole picture.

Cons: The fact that it still doesn't run Chrome.I have to depend on members of my team to create the TS. That is not a real disadvantage as we work as a team with different specialties. My focus is bus development.

by Gooisoft on 31/07/2019

Very kind of you to write a review of Thortspace. Thank you very much.

Thortspace review

Reviewed on 23/07/2019
Edward H.
founder
Venture Capital & Private Equity, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Absolutely brilliant - a best in the world for collaborative interactive multi-lingual visual thinking in 3D.

Pros: Easy and quick to use. Mind-engaging. Brilliant for collaboration.

Cons: Navigation can take a little getting used to.

by Gooisoft on 25/07/2019

Thank you !

Cool looking software!

Reviewed on 04/08/2019
Quinn M.
Musician
Music, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Trying the software, I find that it's really to get into right off the bat. It's really easy to organize my thoughts and they look great in this 3d environment which is a plus for presentability.

Cons: Not much I can complain about. The software did what I needed it to do.

by Gooisoft on 06/08/2019

Thank you very much for the review, and for trying out the Thortspace App.

We are continually working to improve Thortspace, so if you'd like to follow along with our progress you are very welcome to join the Thortspace group on facebook or follow us on Twitter... Follow the social media links from our website or Medium.com publication.