• Overall
    4.7 /5
    4.6 /5
    4.8 /5

About CosmoLex

CosmoLex is the only cloud-based, total practice management, billing, and accounting system (no QuickBooks® required).

Learn more about CosmoLex

Eric D.
Senior Law Clerk and Office Manager
  • Reviewed on 25/03/2020

"Practice Management and Accounting in One"

Comments: One of the biggest things Cosmolex has done for us is allow us to bring out bookkeeping in-house. We went through 3 bookkeeping firms in 2 years and spent huge sums of money for our accountants to undo the mess they made. Our first year end with Cosmolex and in-house bookkeeping was a little rough but that was mostly cleaning up past mistakes.

Pros: The product is generally pretty simple to use. Sometimes you will encounter a quirk that makes you wonder "why did they do it like this?" but once you understand the logic behind it you pick up quickly. The software is updated quite regularly.

Cons: They were purchased by Tabs3 about a year ago and the fact that they are not independent is a little concerning.

• Reviewed on 25/03/2020
Pierce A.
Founder & CEO
  • Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 23/07/2018

"This App is Geared More Towards Transactional Law Practices"

Pros: Cosmolex is easy to use and to implement. Initially, Customer Support was great, but now not so much. Customer support is still better than any other legal accounting product I have used from Lexis or Westlaw, even Clio. The company is generally pretty good about responding to its customers inquiries; but, you typically have to wait about 4 to 6 hours or the next day or two for a technical support person to call you back and sometimes they don't. The billing features are great for a small transactional law practice or family law practice, but not so much for a firm that handles heavy amounts of civil litigation for commercial clients, which requires reporting and data feed back. Trust accounting on Cosmolex is fantastic and allows for contingency fees in PI cases. Overall, its ease of use and simple interface is why we continue to use it.
Compared to most legal accounting and billing software, training employees is easy and they offer tons of opportunities to attend free webinar classes and are great at assisting you in getting your employees up and running. Altogether, it is not bad if you have other software or services to cover document and case management, but is expensive considering its deficiencies in this area.

Cons: The biggest Con is that there is a clear the lack of usable reports, no way to export client data for analysis and forecasting, third party integrations with Office is a work in progress for 2+ years and Cosmolex should absolutely not be relied on for Case Management in a litigation practice. If you are going to use Cosmolex, I would suggest doing so only for the accounting (w/ trust features) and billing for noncommercial clients. Cosmolex provides linking with your Drobox Account but is very limited when it comes to document management and your space is dependent what you purchase from other third-party companies for storage. We use the client portal for our clients to upload new case documents securely, but that is absolutely those are the only documents “managed” by Cosmolex. Docketing for litigation would be a nightmare if you depended on this software (especially for those that have midsize firms or handle multiple cases for companies). Reporting and data analysis is nonexistent. Cosmolex is absolutely not Microsoft Office friendly and has little to no integration with Microsoft products, despite the way it appears on their website. It will not integrate with on premises Exchange Server 2016, SQL or Power BI so you have to enter everything twice and have other software or services to cover its deficiencies. Calendaring features are worthless unless your firm uses Gmail as your firm email and calendaring system. The calendar may now integrate with 365 but does not have a way to customize jurisdictional presets for counting deadlines like most case management software that integrates with your calendar through Exchange. Altogether, the lack of even usable Excel or .PDF reports is the worst thing about Cosmolex. Report features, including AR ledgers and Invoice listing reports for a client with multiple ongoing cases is worthless. There is also no way to segregate your fees for fee recoverable causes of action, which is required in Texas when you are seeking attorney’s fees from the opposing side. Reports in Cosmolex could not be more unorganized. Trying to pull usable billing data over a period of time longer than one year is virtually impossible unless you want to do it by cutting and pasting from poorly formatted excel spreadsheets, which makes it difficult as hell to analyze client data over a period of time. Overall, all legal accounting software I have seen is terrible, Cosmolex is just less terrible than most. I think we are going to be moving on shortly to something else.

• Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 23/07/2018
Mary F.
  • Reviewed on 09/04/2020

"Impressed by Customer Service"

Comments: Much more intuitive than our previous program.

Pros: I like how easy it is to get help (by phone, email, live chat, or leaving a ticket). I am still in the "learning" phase of using the software, but the customer service team has walked me through each stumbling block and taken time to show me in detail how all the features work. I'm most impressed by how they seem to anticipate my future questions and address those as well as whatever concern I originally contacted them about.

Cons: Nothing yet as far as functionality. Wish the data migration services were more affordable.

• Reviewed on 09/04/2020
Alyssa L.
Rule 6 Law Clerk
  • Reviewed on 26/10/2017

"Cosmolex has reduced the time for billing clients..."

Comments: Cosmolex has reduced the time for billing clients down from 2-3 days to 2-3 hours.

Pros: The ability to add charges on the go is a huge plus for the attorney. He can bill his time while in court.

Cons: Old client invoices, there needs to be a way to unlock invoices to allow payment on outstanding debt. I've contacted customer service and we had a backdoor way of doing it but the newest update to CL has erased that ability. So now old clients who have no active charges are inconvenienced and must come into the office to pay. Would love to see more functions for old accounts!

by CosmoLex on 13/11/2017

Hi Alyssa. Thank you for your feedback. I am not sure I understand the issue you are having. Bills become locked for edits once a payment is received (which can be lifted), but future payments can still be applied, as long as there is a balance. You can resend old, open invoices which have a balance and then apply a payment to those whether by retainer, check or credit card. It does not matter how old they are. If there is something I am missing, or you have additional information which can assist, please email su[email protected] and we will be happy to look into this further.

• Reviewed on 26/10/2017
Wendy F.
Office Manger/Bookkeeper
  • Reviewed on 16/12/2019

"Cosmolex"

Comments: Everyday I learn more with Cosmolex. At first it is kind of confusing but once you learn how to use all the benefits it becomes easier.

Pros: The Pros with Cosmolex is once you learn all the features it is really easy to work with. I believe with entering the money portion on Cosmolex has been easier than any other system.

Cons: The cons were getting use to usisng Cosmolex. After you go through the webinars they have and learning videos it becomes easier to work with. There is always someone available to actually help you if you do have a question about anything if the teaching videos do not help in figure out your issue.

• Reviewed on 16/12/2019
Wendy B.
Paralegal/Firm Admin
  • Reviewed on 19/06/2019

"The accounting is very easy to use which saves time."

Comments: It helps all of our staff stay on the same page and everyone knows what is happening in each case.

Pros: I like that the program has both accounting features and has the ability to hold all of our client's information in one. The accounting features are very easy to use. The support videos are very easy to use and if I need to speak to anyone they usually call the very same day.

Cons: I would like the calendar to be able to send emails to all of the attorney's as right now when I calendar an event in one attorney's calendar it will not let me send him/her a reminder unless you put the event on another person's calendar. The point of putting stuff on the calendar is so they see the event and they have reminders

by CosmoLex on 09/08/2019

Hi Wendy, thank you for your feedback! We appreciate your comments.

Samantha E.
Partner/Owner
  • Reviewed on 03/09/2019

"Duped by Cosmolex - Only Cost-Efficient if Solo"

Comments: I initially recommended CosmoLex because even with the lack of integrations, I found it user friendly. And I still would recommend it to solos who know they will never expand because of ease of use. But if you are a solo who aspires to add staff, a larger or growing law firm, or someone who uses an outside accounting firm, I would say to just use Quickbooks. Transferring after a year because CosmoLex decided to jack up the price considerably is such a hassle, and we want to continue to grow without continuing to worry that we'll outgrow CosmoLex's functionality or that the price will continue to unexpectedly go up. Additionally, our accountant struggled with it, and urged the switch to Quickbooks.

Pros: I actually liked this software for the most part in my first year of use. There were a lot of bugs. For instance, the email linking doesn't actually do anything, you have to manually sort and link emails. This is disappointing because it was basically sold to me as something that you could customize by adding rules like emails from x email address should be sorted to x client. But I otherwise found it fairly easy to use and I liked the functionality of invoicing, etc.

Cons: I am giving this a poor review for the following reasons: (1) Cosmolex is really only price-efficient if you are a solo attorney. When I added a staff member and tried to add another timekeeper, I was told my price was going to effectively double!! As a result I am now trying to switch programs which is a huge headache, but the added costs made Quickbooks actually cheaper and Quickbooks has way more integrations and a payroll feature. (Plus you can find email archiving for FREE if you are a small business that takes care of that functionality for Cosmolex.) (2) They were not upfront about the pricing issues. I was told that the reason it cost money to add this timekeeper was because my previous timekeeper had been "grandfathered in" and that I should have learned about this pretty drastic change in an "update section." First, why wouldn't I have received this in an email? Changing the price and price structure of a product should require actual notice! Second, when I chatted someone to find this "update" they could not find it or direct me to it. (3) The lack of integrations (and the integrations they are getting) is really problematic. For instance, they now integrate with Net Documents, which is pretty expensive. For a product that must be targeted almost exclusively to solos as a result of the pricing structure, that doesn't make sense. Why not integrate with Box or Dropbox? And to not have a payroll integration or to work with existing payroll companies is difficult.

by CosmoLex on 07/09/2019

Hi Samantha,
We're sorry to hear that your experience with CosmoLex was poor, but we appreciate your feedback. Please let us know if we can be of any help during your transition process. We regret that our support and training teams were unable to show you our long-standing integrations with Box, DropBox, OneDrive, etc. In regard to our pricing, our customer base ranges from solos to 50-lawyer firms. We respect your opinion and will pass your comments for improvements on to our Client Communications department. We wish you the best.

• Reviewed on 03/09/2019
Morgan S.
  • Reviewed on 07/07/2016

"Billing is great! Case management, not so much."

Comments: We are a two attorney firm with one paralegal. We chose Cosmolex for the trust accounting feature. We were looking for a program that could do it all - keep the books and manage the cases.

Pros: I love the billing and trust accounting features. Cosmolex really shines with maintaining the operating and trust accounts separately as well as generating invoices for our billable work.

Cons: The software is cumbersome, taking several clicks to get to information. The features I need most on the case management side are contacts and notes. The contacts drive me nuts! If I'm in Bob Jones' case, I want to see a list of all the other people involved such as other attorneys, witnesses, or other relevant parties. With Cosmolex, one has to go to a separate contacts page and link them rather than entering the information directly into the matter. The note taking feature is improving now that more characters are allowed, but it still leaves much to be desired for those who are answering client calls and wanting to log the information right away. It seems like it would be fine for a transactional practice but it's less than ideal for litigation.

by CosmoLex on 11/07/2016

Hi Morgan,

I am sorry to hear that while you love the billing & accounting functions of CosmoLex, you are not as thrilled with our case management functions. Specifically, it seems like a lot of your suggestions have to do with our contact management functions . If possible, we'd love to take few minutes of your time offline to go over your specific observations and improvement ideas. Also, we can update you on many of the new features and improvements which are currently in the works. At CosmoLex, our sole focus is to provide our clients with a better product each month and your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Erica Birstler,
Manager, Client Services Dept.

• Reviewed on 07/07/2016
Jordan S.
Managing member
Legal Services, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 23/12/2019

"Love it!"

Comments: I didn't have LMP software before although I did have QuickBooks for awhile. Thus, there is nothing to compare to but it fills the bill for what I need. I think it was thoughtfully designed, and I find it straightforward and easy to use.

Pros: I have enjoyed the ease of learning and using this software. I like the Dashboard that tells you many useful things at a glance. Customer service is also very good. I like that it integrates with several other applications, such as LawPay and Casemaker (although I no longer use Casemaker). I also found a CL knowledgeable accountant through the site, which was very useful for getting set up my first year.

Cons: I really don't have cons. They did go up in price by $10/month without warning (one time in 18 months) but I still think it is a fair value.

• Reviewed on 23/12/2019
Pete W.
Real Estate
  • Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 24/03/2015

"I can't imagine practicing law without this essential tool."

Pros: My practice is focused primarily on residential real estate in NY and NJ and I represent a lot of lenders, so I have been relying upon Easy Soft’s hud-1 program and their billing/trust accounting program for years, so when I learned about everything CosmoLex had to offer, I was excited to jump in.

What really separates CosmoLex from the others is that it’s completely cloud based and also offers a full IOLA/IOLTA accounting system. I’m able to login from the office, from home, and even on the road from my smart phone to add billable events, log and print checks, or search for anything I need.

Because I’m a sole practitioner, I don’t have an IT department to help me install/upgrade my programs and the people at CosmoLex actually converted my existing data and had me up and running in about 15 minutes. Knowing that my data (and the programs) are off-site means less to worry about if and when a computer at my office should fail - and not having to worry about re-installing and restoring data (just knowing that it’s always safe and ready to access) makes sleeping at night a little easier.

The controls are intuitively setup and searching for matters by client or other keyword or searching transactions by dollar amount, etc., could not be easier. I’ve already watched some of their online tutorials and when those did not help me understand something, I contacted tech support for personalized support and training that did the trick every time!

Cons: Nothing comes to mind so far. It's everything I need.

• Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 24/03/2015
Keeley G.
Secretary
  • Reviewed on 14/12/2019

"Best product"

Comments: CosmoLex has been a great product for Bing Law. Customer service is beyond helpful.

Pros: Bing Law loves this program. User friendly and easy to navigate through. Beyond helpful for accounting.

Cons: Bing Law would like to see more options in the pull down menus for billing matters and for the case matters.

• Reviewed on 14/12/2019
Robert R.
Principal Owner
  • Reviewed on 19/07/2017

"The ideal system for my purposes"

Pros: Cosmolex is a web based system that gives me full flexibility of where I work and on what device I access my data. Moreover, the fact that Cosmolex is a fully integrated billing, accounting and trust accounting system makes it the ideal system form my purposes

Cons: I would like to see a more robust program for the migration of all of my prior accounting data - at least for the current C/Y of conversion so that I will have a full. accurate and consistently organized set of reports to submit to may accountant at year end. I would also like the migration to cover all of the detail for all of my Trust Accounts from day one forward to date of conversion to Cosmolex. This will facilitate any and all client or other audits of each Trust Account

by CosmoLex on 19/07/2017

Hi Robert. Thank you for your review and feedback. In regards to your note about migration. Financial Migration is never an 'easy' process. While most firms choose to migrate balances from a particular cut off date (we supply many automated tools to assist with that), you absolutely can migrate all previous transaction history. For your taxes, the current tax year is most relevant, but for your trust account you may wish to import past history. That does require additional time and labor, and cost if outsourced, but it is definitely doable. Any questions, please let me know.

• Reviewed on 19/07/2017
Karen M.
Attorney At Law
2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/06/2017

"I love that you don't have to use Quickbooks"

Comments: I decided to hang up my own shingle, so I needed software to handle the management of my office, especially since it was going to be just me by myself to start out.

Pros: I love that you don't have to use Quickbooks to handle the money management aspect. Nothing against Quickbooks, but I don't have experience using it, and being a solo practitioner and needing to maximize the time I have, I appreciated not having to learn Quickbooks. I also think the interface is user-friendly, and I love how everything can be tied back to a matter. I also really like how my bank accounts are linked with CosmoLex, so reconciliation is easy to complete, and I also appreciate how the software works with Casemaker for tracking research for a specific matter. The best thing about CosmoLex, however, is the customer support. Not only are there humans available to help whenever I need assistance, but CosmoLex also provides a fantastic library of videos and FAQs, as well as weekly live training sessions. I don't ever worry that I'll be stuck without any help...they are always quick to respond to any issue I encounter.

• Reviewed on 14/06/2017
Erin P.
Law Practice, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 31/05/2019

"Truly a “one-stop shop”"

Comments: I began my law practice with CosmoLex so I wouldn’t have to start on paper then transition to law practice management software. CosmoLex gives me the comfort of knowing that I have all facets of my law practice organized in one place.

Pros: I chose CosmoLex over other law practice management solutions because it is truly a “one-stop shop” for all of your law practice needs. I specifically like the integration with LawPay, and it’s built in accounting functionality.

Cons: Maybe I don’t understand how the DropBox sync feature works, but I thought it was automatic, not manual.

by CosmoLex on 12/08/2019

Thank you, Erin! We're glad you were able to start your practice with us! If you ever have any trouble with any of our features or integrations, please don't hesitate to reach out to our support team for help.

Gina F.
  • Reviewed on 10/06/2017

"I cannot imagine running my practice without this software."

Comments: Makes day to day billing and invoicing so simple and easy. I also like how you have everything in one place software wise.

Pros: The ease in creating invoices and time keeping features. When I first started looking for a software this was the only one with the integrated quick books features.

Cons: The software doesn't always fit to my specific billing needs. Also it can be tricky to go back and edit past invoices.

• Reviewed on 10/06/2017
Susan F.
  • Reviewed on 25/10/2017

"I started my own firm...and had to implement an accounting system."

Comments: I started my own firm in January and had to implement an accounting system.

Pros: I am happy with the customer support. They call me back ASAP and fix the issues.
The invoices can be customized as so many of the clients have very specific billing requirements.

Cons: Software to manage payroll , as I use a different service for for payroll tax and employee escrow and direct payment of employee. It would be great to integrate as I have to enter the payroll payments directly into the accounting program.

by CosmoLex on 30/10/2017

Hi Susan. Thanks so much for the feedback and suggestions. We have payroll integrations coming soon, so keep an eye out. That will allow you to use a service to process the payroll, and then those entries will be made on your GL in CosmoLex for you.

• Reviewed on 25/10/2017
Rebecca M.
CFO
  • Reviewed on 19/06/2019

"Easy to use, accurate, great product."

Comments: I love the credit card feature of automatically saving me hours of categorizing every charge, and automatic import of charges.

Pros: We used to use Amicus and we had so many problems and glitches. Cosmolex has been great.

Cons: I don't like having to make a customer service appointment.

by CosmoLex on 08/07/2019

Thank you for your review! We're thrilled that you're getting the most out of our credit card feature. We're constantly updating and improving all of our features, and our Support team can be reached directly to answer questions or provide training, so please feel free to contact us.

Crystal B.
Partner
  • Reviewed on 31/05/2019

"Office runs much more smoother."

Pros: Ability to do book keeping as well as client files.

Cons: Unable to bill same client emails all at once.

by CosmoLex on 30/07/2019

Thank you for your review, Crystal! We're happy to hear that CosmoLex has helped you run a more efficient office. If you have any questions regarding our platform, please reach out to our Support Team at (732) 595-9015 (US), (365) 804-0050 (CA).

Pauline T.
  • Reviewed on 11/12/2018

"Cosmolex has been a game changer in our firm!"

Pros: Cosmolex is the only management program I have used, so I can only compare it with how we used to do thing (with hundreds of spreadsheets!). It has been great, we are so much better organized, I can see all the matters and clients' accounts in one place, generate invoices was straight forward and easy. It's changed the way we do things forever. We also like the seamless integration with LawPay!

Cons: The limited ability to customize invoice or matter-billing-report templates. There were fields we wanted to include or change in the report because our client specifically requested it, but was unable to do so.

• Reviewed on 11/12/2018
Steven F.
Principal
  • Reviewed on 27/10/2017

"Easy to use especially for a solo practitioner"

Pros: Extremely user friendly and easy to use especially for a solo practitioner. The time keeping system is wonderful as is the billing component of the software. Makes my record keeping and administrative work incredibly easy.

• Reviewed on 27/10/2017
Danny H.
  • Reviewed on 26/04/2019

"Overall I am very satisfied."

Pros: It is Easy to use and has logical organization.

Cons: Certain features are very difficult to correct mistakes in, and the existing videos and articles are not helpful to me in resolving.

• Reviewed on 26/04/2019
Deedra A.
Administrator
  • Reviewed on 26/08/2019

"It has made my life so much easier."

Comments: I don't have to be physically present at my office to access our financial information/client billing data/etc.

Pros: The versatility of being cloud based is very beneficial to me as I can log in from anywhere with an internet connection. Combined with the price it was the best choice for our law firm.

Cons: We're a 1 attorney law firm and while larger companies can utilize all the bells and whistles we just need basic billing functions. All the options can seem overwhelming until you familiarize yourself with the user interface.

by CosmoLex on 24/09/2019

Hi Deedra, thanks for your review! We're thrilled to hear that you're enjoying the benefits of working from the cloud. Please feel free to reach out to our support team if you have any questions about using the tool.

• Reviewed on 26/08/2019
Kelly C.
Legal Assistant
  • Reviewed on 13/12/2019

"Cosmolex Review"

Pros: It is user friendly. Very simple to use.

Cons: I would like to be able to add multiple users to the calendar invite without the need for them to accept the the invite.

• Reviewed on 13/12/2019
Deborah R.
Partner
  • Reviewed on 09/10/2017

"Cosmolex was an easy choice"

Pros: Cosmolex lets me have the bigger picture in one piece of software. I can easily see how my business is doing from the dashboard.

Cons: I would like to have a report that shows trends and exports to excel so I could create graph charts. It would also be nice to be able to produce an invoice showing the work put into a fixed fee matter.

• Reviewed on 09/10/2017
Tim J.
Sr. Real Estate Assistant
  • Reviewed on 20/02/2020

"Software Review"

Pros: Easy and complete tool for all date and account needs.

Cons: Double verification in the account portion of software.

• Reviewed on 20/02/2020