15 years helping British businesses

About Gist

Single source of truth for your contacts with live chat, help desk, knowledge base, email marketing automation, and more.

Learn more about Gist

Pros:

We love that even if our users don't enter their email address, Gist is often able to identify the lead that has reached out to us and we are able to follow up with them directly through Gist.

Gist ratings

4.5
4.7
4.6
4.7

8.9/10

Gist has an overall rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars based on 149 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Gist before?

Christopher
Christopher
Author, Digital Marketer in US
Publishing, 2–10 Employees

SLICK Messenger Bot + Full Email Automation

Comments: Been using Gist for years now--replaced Active Campaign for me--and I'm able to do all the same things with a messenger bot, too!

Pros:

Gist's messenger bot is very powerful and you're able to put it on your website as well as all your subdomains. It's become the #1 way my visitors prefer to interact with me. I had no idea how much interaction I was missing until I installed it. Then add full email marketing and you're really flying!

Cons:

Gist is working to improve their speed through the browser. I wish the free plan allowed for use of webhooks like the paid plans do. But $29/mo isn't bad!

Teng
Teng
Co-owner in Malaysia
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Streamlining Customer Communication and Marketing Efforts with Gist

Comments: Overall experience is good. The platform is feature rich and is hardly down

Pros:

Gist plays a crucial role in our organization as a communication hub that allows us to effectively engage with leads both on our website and through email. By using Gist's chat and email features, we are able to quickly respond to inquiries and questions from potential customers and provide them with the information they need to move further down the sales funnel.In addition to its communication features, we use Gist as a CRM to manage customer relationships. With Gist's contact management features, we can easily track customer interactions on our website and record important details such as their interest and preferences. This helps us better understand our customers and provide personalized service.Gist's email marketing platform is also a key tool for us. We use it to send out newsletters and other marketing materials to our customers and prospects. With its customizable templates and easy-to-use interface, we can create engaging and effective email campaigns that drive engagement and conversions.

Cons:

The integration plugin on the website can slow down the website speed, as shown on Google PageSpeed Insights and GTMetrix. A few times, the platform is slow to send notifications to us when there's a lead/customer using LiveChat on our website.

William
owner in Iceland
Broadcast Media, Self Employed

+6 months I asked to have my billing information removed...

Comments: After I had this experience with the emails I told them to delete my billing information as I didn't want to be charged another $200 in December when the addons I purchased were due to renew. Its been 6 months and I just took matters into my own hands. I had to add a prepaid gift card to the billing info, switch the default card to this junk gift card. After this I could finally delete my actual credit card. I was not going to fight them on a chargeback this december. This companies support has really become crap like the rest of their services.

Pros:

The idea of using this software to run a ton of other things was very appealing, but it fell way short of this goal, left me very disapointed.

Cons:

I received emails telling me that my ability to send emails was suspended for sending spam. I was not sending spam, and somehow the double optin email form I had on the site was the only thing sending out emails. So on 2-3 different occasions I had my account suspended for spam I wasn't sending out. They always verified that I wasn't sending out anything and quickly restored my access. Then the time when I actually did have something to send, I had a page that was only viewable if you had a password that was given out on a business card. If you entered your email there, it would send you out something very specific for a hiring event I was trying to do. This flagged my email again as spam. Again a password protected page with a double optin, and my legit emails were flagged as spam. It was too much.

Oliver
Oliver
SEO Strategist in Australia
Financial Services, 51–200 Employees

Gist is a powerhouse in the making

Pros:

The fact that EDMs, transactional emails, support chat, bots and knowledgebase features are all in the one place, connected by automation triggers and workflows is very useful. The scope of personalisation you can achieve by combining all these elements on top of a single user database which includes user behaviour is powerful.

Cons:

Some features a still underdeveloped such as the pop-ups, but I do see the Gist team making steady progress and am sure these items will be developed.

Dan
Dan
Founder in US
Media Production, Self Employed

Great set of features, replaces a handful of other services

Comments: I'm using Gist in a SaaS product to welcome and on-board new users and to send new feature emails. Also using automations to trigger messages based on certain user actions.. Users of Intercom will likely see a cost reduction by switching to Gist, and also get a handful of other integrated features included too.

Pros:

The integration of all the features is killer. Contacts, leads, marketing emails, automation emails, knowledge base, all tie together really well. The UI is nicely laid out and easy to use. As is the APPI, if you need to dive that deep. Well thought and full featured.

Cons:

I had a couple of issues importing contacts from my app but the support team sorted me out in a few minutes. I'd also like to see some more backend integrations, like a Ruby gem for Rails applications.

Dev
Dev
CEO in India
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

A very promising Marketing Automation platform

Comments: If you are considering marketing automation, Gist will fit in well. It really streamlined my entire customer journey right from traffic stage to customer stage

Pros:

Using Gist for: a) Live Chat b) Forms c) Email Sequences d) Event Tracking e) Help Desk It is handling our entire marketing automation needs Loved these features: Visual Workflow designer Live Chat performance and appearance Email Deliverability

Cons:

No cons as such. They need more maturity and time to be comparable with Intercom

Kejda
Kejda
Founder in US
Cosmetics, 2–10 Employees

Get the Gist: one tool to rule them all

Comments: Very good, waiting for them to put some more finishing touches to WooCommerce integration. But already very useful and support is outstanding.

Pros:

How it rolls multiple need to have tools into one: customer support, lead gen, lead nurture, marketing automation for both email and FB retargeting. Great UI and professional chatbot / LiveChat solution on the front and back end. I love the unified inbox feature too.

Cons:

The extent of its integration with WooCommerce. Can't send proper cart abandonment emails because so far it can't generate an abandoned cart link. They're working on it though. I also don't love the extent / clarity of documentation for the automation features. A lot of power under the hood but to use very complex automations you need to ask support to clarify how various triggers / conditions work. On the flip side support is great at doing this and will help you out almost immediately.

Jordan
Jordan
Co-Founder in US
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Gist is Awesome!

Comments: We've used the webchat feature to streamline our inbound marketing & answer customer-service queries. Been fantastic! We can't wait to dive in more to some of the other tools they offer.

Pros:

Love the chat feature. Everything works well, notifications are reliable, works great!

Cons:

Can't really say I dislike anything... Honestly they have so much more (than just chat) at our disposal that we need to implement! Haven't gotten around to it yet.

Anca
Anca
Customer Success Specialist in Romania
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Great for daily support

Comments: Overall, our experience is a great one. Issues have always been solved quickly and effectively.

Pros:

I love how easy it is to assign conversations to team members. It's easy to snooze conversations while waiting on a resolution, without forgetting about them.

Cons:

I'd really love to also have a pending indefinitely feature, especially for cases when the resolution depends on other teams, so there's no ETA.

Marc
Marc
CEO in US
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Better customer engagement

Pros:

Makes it easier for us to engage with our customers by giving them an additional way to contact us as well as being able to respond on multiple devices/platforms.

Cons:

When responding via email, wish it would recognize our email signatures and remove them.

James
Website Owner in Australia
Building Materials, Self Employed

Software for any small website owner to engage your contacts

Comments: My experience with the software has been very positive. Some portions take a little work to setup and get used to, but that's like learning anything brand new really. Within days I had the whole system setup and working with little effort. The support team are very responsive and assist when required. A good experience and definitely worth checking out if you're a small to medium-sized business website owner.

Pros:

I'm using Gist for my WordPress website to engage my website audience. I'm a one-man band and required an integrated marketing automation tool to welcome any new visitors to my website. I use it across my whole website and I personally control and run it by myself. It basically simplifies the initial welcome step in my business and assists me in targeting my potential customers. The best part about Gist is that it is scaleable. As my small website grows, I can scale with the number of contacts in the database, and at the same time have access to all their advanced features.

Cons:

I would say that the hardest thing/ least liked about it is that it took a little time to setup originally. Coming from a non-technical background it was a little hard to get used to at the start, but I quickly picked it up thanks to their support team.

Jói
Founder/CEO in Iceland
Internet, 2–10 Employees

Gist works well for us

Pros:

Love the single unified conversation view that feels like a social media messaging app but has all the power I need to assign conversations to team mates, snooze conversations, and tag contacts if needed. Also love that it brings our website chat widget, Facebook Messenger chat and one of our shared inboxes all together into one view.

Cons:

The only problem I've had is that for the shared email inbox we use it for (our info@ inbox) it doesn ot always deal correctly with accented characters. This doesn't prevent use from using it but would be nice to fix.

Alvaro Luis
Alvaro Luis
CEO in Colombia

Best benefit-cost ratio software

Comments: Gist is well suited to build relationships with leads and customers, to offer better support. And because of its marketing automation features could be very handy for improving collaboration in, as an example, the provision of educational services. We have worked with the companion iOS App and it is great for both the customer service team and the support team.

Pros:

Good live chat tool. Easy to create custom chat bots robots. Capabilities to send broadcasts and drip marketing campaigns. Has a lightweight form creator that allows me to create 6 different types of forms and set the display conditions to have them show up whenever and wherever I choose. Build relationships with leads and customers. Support. Marketing automation.

Cons:

shortcomings such as no crm are manageable.

Milo
Owner in US
Design, 2–10 Employees

Started with Chat Now it Does it All

Comments: Gist is growing and new features are added monthly and I'm super excited to see what happens next.

Pros:

The Chat is amazing and great to use. Now I can stop using other email and marketing platforms because Gist does it all.

Cons:

Gist needs to add more pre design elements such at email and forms are built and design for different campaigns.

Stefan
Founder in Australia
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Great experience with Gist

Comments: Great experience so far with Gist. I’m sure it will get better with time.

Pros:

All-in-one software for SaaS. You don’t have to pay for different solutions to get things done.

Cons:

Messenger functionality is not the best it can be. I liked the way Intercom approached visitor nudging. Gist could get some ideas from them.

Mark
Chief Information Officer in UK
Professional Training & Coaching, 2–10 Employees

A fantastic team, committed to the product - already great and getting better every day!

Comments: Live chat allows us to understand where our customers need help, when they may not have reached out through other methods. Automation allows us to communicate better without a large investment of time.

Pros:

I primarily purchased Gist for live chat, and it does that really well. The chat interface is clear, simple and great looking for the end user and makes chat management really straightforward for the organisation. What was a real bonus for me is the work the team has put in around marketing automation, email and rules. Being able to schedule emails to be sent based upon user actions is a game changer (the user does not need to have engaged in live chat and the system for defining these actions is really flexible). It's a great tool - and one of the most promising that I've seen - but what really stands out is that the team behind it are a great bunch of people. They're really good on live chat (as you would hope!) and you do get to know them individually. They really care about delivering the best experience possible and the pace they are moving at with new features is admirable. It is that, above everything else, that gave me the confidence to go live with a deployment on our primary business website. I'm a very happy customer.

Cons:

If there is one dislike, it's simply that there is so much (extra) promise in the tool but I can't have it all now! ;-) They are a young company, relatively, so there are still features which I would love to have (better notifications on stale chats, better handling of "out of hours", more automation features) but those are small things and it's the confidence that these things will come quickly that makes this a non-issue. The team really listen and act on feedback, so that's a massive bonus. I'd encourage you to get on-board at this stage. The tool is ready for prime-time use, and you have a real opportunity to actually shape the way it develops that you just wouldn't get with a more established tool.

Aaron
CTO in Mexico
Automotive, 2–10 Employees

Elevating Team Synergy and Customer Engagement to New Heights!

Pros:

I liked Gist's seamless integration of communication, collaboration, and automation features in one platform, providing a comprehensive solution for our team's needs.

Cons:

While Gist is generally impressive, one area for improvement is the learning curve for advanced features, which could be more user-friendly for new adopters. Also I want to see a WhatsApp integration.

James
Owner in US

Great Feature-Rich Software

Comments: Overall, Gist is great. There's a lot to learn to use it well.

Pros:

There are a ton of great features. I really like how I'm able to integrate directly into my website.

Cons:

It takes some getting used to setting up and using the product. But that's to be expected from such a feature-rich software.

Alexis
cto in Ecuador
Internet, 2–10 Employees

The best chat, automation and marketing software

Comments: Overall Gist has been fabulous. I have found a powerful, fast and easy to use live chat tool. But it does not stop there, with the same tool I have solved other marketing needs such as Email Marketing, email campaigns, sales funnel and more.

Pros:

Automation tools such as workflows and campaigns have been the answer we were looking for to improve our sales and support flow. Simply the best of the best.

Cons:

I feel like they need to improve how bots work. While it is a very powerful tool, being able to set the bots to respond outside of my customer service hours is critical.

Borhan
Event Planning in US
Entertainment, 2–10 Employees

Exceptional service from Gist

Pros:

The fact that it combines all the features I was already using on different platforms into one is what I like most about Gist. Email marketing, Social Media connect with customers, contact forms, and live chat all-in-one is the big feature I like most.

Cons:

Everything is great about Gist. One area to improve would be to work with Ticket Tailor in collecting emails from customers who have made a purchase.

Razvan
Razvan
Founder & CEO in Romania
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Feature rich CRM

Pros:

Trial emails and customer support messenger with behavioral targeted emails and messages.

Cons:

Occasional bugs, but they are usually fixed fast by customer support.

E-Learning, 2–10 Employees

All In One solution for your website which does not break the bank.

Comments: If you are serious about your online business, make sure you have Gist on your website. It allows you to keep in touch with your customers in multiple ways, with all customer info neatly available in the dashboard. The folks at Gist are all set to rule this space in time to come.

Pros:

- Chat solution. Conversation continuity provides a great touch. - Email marketing solution which lets us precisely target the customer. - Plethora of automation and events automation which allow us to target every single element on the website. - The best Intercom alternative out there.

Cons:

- Some of the emails still continue to go in Spam. Even some of the Gist communication emails land in spam. - Founder's attitude on going back on his words underhandedly. He would promise one thing and then go back on his words, even of you show him a written proof.

Cosmetics, 2–10 Employees

Powerful and affordable CRM

Pros:

It offer a lot of feature that a business needs: live chat, customer support, email marketing, automation workflow... The price is very affordable (with me it's no-brain).

Cons:

Gist doesn't have the embedded form so I cannot integrate with my landing page to capture leads.

Pranaya
CEO in India
Telecommunications, 2–10 Employees

Gist - A new way to automate your business

Comments: Gist has helped me improve the marketing automation, pre-sales, and support on my website. I was able to generate 1000's of leads after implementing Gist.

Pros:

Ease of use Simple layout Fast loading Quick assignment

Cons:

Account management: It feels complex Tag management: Could be better

Sarah
Sarah
The Ideas Girl in UK
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Impressive, professional and simple to install

Comments: Gist is a brilliant tool for your website or course platform. I've found it easy to set up and use. My website visitors have said they love using it and I wouldn't want to be without it now.

Pros:

I love using Gist - I use the support bot and chat function on my website and online course sales page. It's great to know that I can be anywhere and there is support for my website visitors whenever they need it, 24-7. I've recommended Gist to clients who have also found it easy to set up and install. It looks great and I think it is a must-have function for any modern website.

Cons:

There really isn't anything I dislike about using Gist, it's a great service and once set up needs no real maintenance or effort.