15 years helping British businesses

About Sigma Computing

Sigma is the only BI and analytics solution built for your cloud data warehouse, empowering everyone to explore data at cloud scale.

Learn more about Sigma Computing

Pros:

Easy and intuitive user interface. Licensing is for creators, viewer usage unlimited.

Cons:

I would say the only thing that can be annoying, is the load speed. Sometimes my tables and dashboards time out.

Sigma Computing ratings

3.9
4.7
3.9
4.6

8.0/10

Sigma Computing has an overall rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars based on 81 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Sigma Computing before?

Joseph
Joseph
Principal Analytics Architect in US
Financial Services, 51–200 Employees

Great model for rapidly evolving analytics

Comments: Sigma is the fastest and easiest BI tool to deploy. Iteration on the semantic layer is a cinch. Sigma is a delight to work with as a vendor. Their support is superbly responsive (during business hours - they don't have global timezone coverage yet). Sigma's pricing model is reasonable and very friendly to orgs where 80+% of the employees need live data access.

Pros:

Sigma has the right model. From the user perspective, the columnar formula editing feels familiar enough, and the learning curve is friendly to anyone with spreadsheet experience. From an architect perspective, the semantic layer is lightweight and easy to adapt to ever-changing schemas. The UI covers most of the functionality you'll want, and for everything else you can fall back on writing your own code, like cron strings or SQL queries. I let Sigma do probably 95% of my querying, leaving the gnarliest 5% for me to write in their SQL runner. I do a significant amount of lightweight ELT work in Sigma as well. I like being able to write massive views that I know I'm going to have to update often, and just like Snowflake / Sigma materialize them for me. When I use Sigma to query S3 directly in the SQL runner - usually to POC some new data that hasn't made its way out to the business teams yet - this functionality is really convenient because those queries are not efficient. I just need to get new data in front of the business as quickly as possible.

Cons:

Visual discovery is lacking when compared to mature tools like Tableau. Sigma needs to continue chipping away at the Tableau features around dashboarding and charting.

Nicholas
E-Learning, 51–200 Employees

Incredible power and flexibility

Comments: I am obsessed with Sigma, by far my favorite BI tool I've used. It let me do calculations myself that would usually require whole cycles of data requests, and affords me much more flexibility.

Pros:

* Ability to pull any data I need or want * Complexity of calculations possible while being easy to use * Seriously those grouping levels are VERY powerful

Cons:

* Pivot tables are the one thing they haven't aced yet - you can make them but then to calculate cased on them you need to make a new dataset and then a new sheet. You can do pretty much all the same work with just levels though so I don't miss them too often. * I wish my default permissions could be "public" - I'm never doing anything private, so why is that the default? * Maps could use some work. I want to color-map countries, not just display dots

martha
drop ship manager in US
Apparel & Fashion, 51–200 Employees

positively mixed feelings

Comments: Overall I have access to more than our previous reporting system, which is a positive. However, as self serve as it is I wish connecting tables and validating was more straightforward as a user.

Pros:

I like how customizable it is. From a good basic report I can move things around to suit my needs. In addition it has many options for how to export, which is great as I use excel for more complex files & google sheets for collaborating & sharing findings.

Cons:

Load times to get to a report or filter can be killer for some reports that pull from many data sources, and have large amounts of information. The permissions are a bit annoying when a report is created for me by an admin, but I am the report owner (as it was made for my department), but I can't make my own changes (w/o admin privlidges) and archive the main one. In these cases, I have to request the admin to make the changes, or make a copy and publish my own report and again contact the admin to delete or move the report so that mine is the one the team goes to first.

Jordan
Service Delivery Manager in Canada
Logistics & Supply Chain, 11–50 Employees

The BI tool of the future

Comments: Love it. We previously had Looker as our BI tool and this is a HUGE improvement over that tool. Ease of use, clarity of features, flexibility of the system are all significantly improved. Couldn't be happier with our switch, I know my whole team would say the same thing.

Pros:

Ease of use, especially the ability to write custom SQL queries to build datasets and reports. The visualization builder is also very user friendly and has made throwing together dashboards for internal or external use significantly easier. Saves me and my colleagues a ton of time!

Cons:

There have been some features identified by the team that we need for Enterprise-level software that were missing, many have been addressed though. A major bugbear of mine is that the filters don't seem to react to each other if there are multiple on a dashboard, they filter independently of other inputs.

Andy
Andy
BI Architect, Cofounder in US
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Sigma plus Snowflake is a revelation!

Comments: It has exceeded my expectations in ease of use and the productivity my team has been able to achieve.

Pros:

I love the secure cloud hosting, the ease of connecting to data sources, the fact that it queries the data directly, but most I like the grid based view of data that is always at hand. Being able to view, sort, filter, and create calculations on the data in a familiar spreadsheet-like interface is genius. The “Column Details” feature allows me to quickly understand the range of values in the system.

Cons:

I’ve generated several feature requests for areas we’d like to see more detail.

Tania
Software Engineer in Mexico
Information Technology & Services, 201–500 Employees

Using Sigma as a Software developer

Comments: I think is a nice tool, is easy to use and it's fast. You can load your data and start analyzing it very fast, also, it's a nice tool for non technical users, but when I need more features or power I rather to use Data Studio

Pros:

Is an easy to use software, I liked that it's very fast, I don't have to wait to start seeing the data

Cons:

It needs more features, specially to migrate the worksheets to different environments, also it has a very limited number of functions. Sometimes the error messages are not very descriptives, so we can't know what's happening or how to solve it (we had a worksheet with an error like: "the joins are not efficient", something like that, so that message was kind of useless)

Michell
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 201–500 Employees

Good price, needs more features

Comments: This has been a net positive for our org.

Pros:

Sigma allows viewers for free, even viewers from outside your organization.

Cons:

The dashboard feature is not fully built out - many features seem to be missing. For example, I can't put percents on a pie chart.

Internet, 51–200 Employees

Powerful data visualization tool

Comments: As a data analyst, I've have had a lot of fun building dashboards and reports with Sigma. It's very flexible and has great usability

Pros:

- You can easily add data sources, and then create datasets with the columns you need - It also lets you format the columns and process the data by using formulas, very similar to what you would do in a spreadsheet, but more streamlined - You can easily join different datasets and filter data - The new dashboards are very easy to use, with a clear interface to add widgets, filters and views - They also have quick and effective customer support

Cons:

- It can be a little intimidating if you are not familiar with spreadsheets

Kyle
Venture Capital & Private Equity, 11–50 Employees

Great product and better value

Pros:

Compared to competitors I found Sigma to be much more straightforward with regard to database connections and dashboard building. No complex data warehousing layer, or reporting databases to instrument / sync, it simply reads from whatever db you assign and syncs in real time. While there is still a learning curve, the excel-like functions make it friendlier to business users who are not familiar with SQL to enable them to build custom reports rather than only viewing. While there isn't a "team" assigned to you for onboarding like other tools offer, I have found adhoc email and chat support to be good enough, and certainly worth the $ saved compared to other 'implementation costs' that often come with or are built in to the pricing of competitive products.

Cons:

The team/user permissioning and management could be more straightforward.

E-Learning, 201–500 Employees

It's growing on me!

Pros:

It works! We used Chartio before and it was always timing out. Sigma is reliable and accurate.

Cons:

The way it auto sizes objects is annoying. I also feel like you need more technical data analysis skills to do some common things (like a year over year comparison).

Sean
Manager, Data Insights in US
Computer Software, 201–500 Employees

Revolutionary Data Tool

Comments: The most significant impact of Sigma has been exposing data to so many people around the business who would otherwise have had to go through the data team bottleneck, both slowing their access to data and limiting the explorability and agility of the results. However, this can be accomplished in a controlled manner with Sigma, ensuring that stakeholders only have access to vetted sources of truth procured by the data team.

Pros:

- ability to explore and inspect the source data and perform sophisticated SQL functions via GUI (group, join, aggregate, etc.) - ability to create single source of truth worksheets and build all related content off of that, instead of reinventing the wheel with every new query - unlimited reader accounts allows usage to really take off and flourish instead of hamstringing itself

Cons:

- pricing still unclear as to what constitutes an author vs a reader - based on recent conversations with Sigma I'm afraid that we are going to be upcharged on items that were never made clear to us (I am still unclear) - new software still has its share of bugs

ivan
Email Marketing Manager in US
Media Production, 201–500 Employees

Integration Pipeline

Comments: Best email marketing pipeline integration when it comes to metrics and conversion goals

Pros:

It's very effective on the email marketing and CRM.

Cons:

pricing can be lower but totally works.

Shamaas
Software Engineer in US
Market Research, 2–10 Employees

Great team and a good product

Pros:

The team is very willing to grow and shape out any new improvements, they also have great turnaround. However, i love how it is a web application and easily integrates with databricks.

Cons:

The functionality is somewhat funky sometimes, but they are constantly improving.

Kevin
Information Technology & Services, 501–1,000 Employees

Great analytics product, easy to set up and use

Pros:

Awesome team behind the product, always responsive and helpful. They've taught me a lot not only about their tool but also about data analytics.

Cons:

Some UI elements could be improved, but once you know where to find certain things you'll pick it up.

Virgil
Chief Analytics and Data Officer in Canada
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 51–200 Employees

Sigma helps

Pros:

I really like how easily Sigma connects with our snowflake databases, and facilitates analysis. We are growing our data and analytics practice, and Sigma helps me to respond to the innumerable ad hoc questions from the business, while allowing our team to advance our capabilities.

Cons:

Currently, I write SQL to execute the LIKE function when filtering on field values. It would be great to have this feature available with wild cards in the filter part of the software.

Kera
Compliance Director in US
Financial Services, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Customized Reporting

Comments: Allows independent reporting and analysis to meet recurring business needs.

Pros:

Enjoy the ability to customize reports and drill down data to your specific needs. Can update and refresh data month after month without starting from scratch.

Cons:

A little overwhelming for first time users and requires a lot of hands on practice to establish a comfort level. Download time increases as more data is being manipulated.

Heather
Content Marketing Manager in US
Consumer Goods, 11–50 Employees

Great for comprehensive reporting

Pros:

As a marketer, Sigma is an incredibly valuable tool that allows my team to aggregate data to inform our decisions and scale up. I like the ability to drill app activity down to the user level in order to identify trends and specific user behaviors.

Cons:

It can be very overwhelming! Not instantly intuitive but not hard to learn either. My biggest complaint is that it was often very slow.

Retail, 201–500 Employees

Sigma

Comments: Very positive in my daily work.

Pros:

Sigma allows us to have instant access to the data that are ingested into snowflake. It allows me to access all the raw data, which is what I need, rather than concise dashboard data.

Cons:

Data tables can be a little difficult to learn at first, but just like anything, you can learn it over time with enough familiarity with the product.

Ashlie
Ashlie
Customer Service Manager in US
Apparel & Fashion, 51–200 Employees

I appreciate the customization options.

Comments: My overall experience has been positive, there is definitely a learning cure for the non-analytical.

Pros:

I appreciate being able to start with a report created by our analytics team and tweak it to suit my department's needs.

Cons:

The filters can sometimes be confusing until you get the hang of how the software thinks.

Betsy
Customer Success Manager in US
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Great Potential

Comments: We're starting to think of problems we can solve, but having disorganization in your company's data doesn't make it easier.

Pros:

The ease of combining data sets and manipulating data in a way that makes sense to me.

Cons:

It's not super user-friendly. I don't have a ton of experience with SQL and I feel like I am limited.

adya
buyer in US
Consumer Services, 11–50 Employees

Review

Comments: It is a good software but would be so much better if loading time could be reduced

Pros:

Different custom filters that can be built in, personalization

Cons:

Loading time- makes the process very hard- refreshing the grid takes forever

Daniel
Data Architect in Canada
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 51–200 Employees

Sigma Review

Comments: Sigma was very easy to setup, integrate, configure and use with our existing data stack. It was very easy to onboard end users and get them productive quickly.

Pros:

The ability to easily and conditionally schedule report exports in multiple formats targeted towards our business users.

Cons:

I haven't encountered any cons so in terms of features or functions. The only gap one of our analysts identified so far is the ability to determine how a worksheet's final state came to be, specifically the exacts steps performed to created the worksheet like Power BI has.

Shae
Marketing in US
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Decent

Pros:

For the tools that it provides, Sigma is very useful. Whether it is better than other options remains to be seen, but it is a decent choice for data collection and analysis.

Cons:

It is not the most user-friendly and takes a fair amount of time to set up reports in exactly the way you need. It could be far more flexible.

Arnav
Analyst in US
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 51–200 Employees

sigma ≠ stress

Pros:

- Ease of use for individuals who aren't very familiar with databases

Cons:

- Loading times - Mapping customizability

Valerie
Manager- Compliance Communications & Billing in US
Consumer Services, 501–1,000 Employees

Great Software

Comments: This has been a great experience. I really enjoy working the system and our team for supplying the training we needed to learn how to use this system.

Pros:

I run a lot of reports and I like that I have access to do so at any time.

Cons:

I am not sure if it is a con yet. It could be just because I am learning how to use the system more.