15 years helping British businesses

About Matter

Employee Recognition, Rewards, and Surveys all in Slack or Microsoft Teams! πŸ’œ

Learn more about Matter

Pros:

Clean and efficient UX and design, allowing ease of use and integration with other tools.

Cons:

It's hard to get everyone on the team to use it.

Matter ratings

4.6
4.5
4.4
4.5

7.9/10

Matter has an overall rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars based on 251 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Matter before?

Matt
Matt
VP of Engineering in Canada
Internet, 11–50 Employees

Remote first? Matter matters

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: I wasn't sure at first since I hadn't used a system like this before. But now that I've used it for over a year I think it's really valuable. Getting folks to think slightly larger than themselves through peer recognition and surveys helps a remote-first team stay connected.

Pros:

For a remote-first company, Matter encourages engagement and peer recognition among team members. It also supports the management team taking the pulse of how people are feeling and what they are thinking about.

Cons:

It can be a little pushy to get responses. This might be a configuration option though.

Zoe
Senior Scrum Master in UK
Publishing, 51–200 Employees

Great add on

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

It is easy to use as it is in Slack which we use every day. It is fun so encourages people to use it. It is easy to use and customise. It provides a little friendly competition with the MVP each week.

Cons:

Nothing, it meets all our needs. They also keep adding new features all the time!

Kristen
Sr. Front End Developer in US

Frustrating

1.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Am not a fan of Matter, and avoid using it.

Cons:

Feedback is listed as images only. There is no text options. I have image set to not display to avoid clutter in my workspaces, so I just seem spam from matter not in my channels.

Darla
Century Club Support in US
Marketing & Advertising, 51–200 Employees

Amazing Setup

5.0 last month New

Comments: I think this is a great way to show appreciation to other people.

Pros:

I appreciate being able to praise my co-workers, showing them of a job well done or kodos for helping me out. I like being able to set up a praise to send out.

Cons:

It would be nice if it would possibly be able to foresee some of the words I use often and fill them in.

Jill
Senior UX Architect in US

Low effort, big impact

5.0 last month New

Comments: Love it! So easy, and such a big impact!

Pros:

It provides a VERY easy platform for our employees to recognize each other, and also for those employees to see a summary of their "kudos" for performance reviews. It seamlessly integrates with our Slack instance, so it's right there, all the time.

Cons:

There is a small bug that makes it a little tricky to assign a feedback category and then start typing the feedback content. Sometimes it deletes.

Danielle
Chronic Care Manager in US
Medical Practice, 11–50 Employees

Feedback from Matter User

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: I've personally had a great experience. I love that we receive reminders in the beginning and end of day to give kudos. We can all become very busy at work and have the intent to send recognition but can easily forget throughout the day, so receiving a cool reminder (they're super funny) is great .

Pros:

Great for company morale. Recognizing our team regardless of title is very important, no one is exempt from receiving kudos.

Cons:

I have not encountered any cons using Matter.

Carol
Century Club Customer Service Rep in US
Marketing & Advertising, 51–200 Employees

Show Your Colleagues Your Appreciation!

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

This platform allows us to show our appreciation to our co-worker and management staff for all the little things they do to help us do our jobs brilliantly!

Cons:

Sometimes the reminders are too much, when you're having a hectic day and don't have time to stop and read them! Other than that, I find it useful!

Charlotte
Executive Assistant in UK
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Great for employee recognition, birthdays and anniversaries!

5.0 last month New

Pros:

We used Matter for around a year and it was great for our employee recognition - giving the team a chance to shout out about their colleagues and praise each other for the work they have done. Also, we found it really useful when announcing birthdays and anniversaries, setting reminders for the team to respond to. The choice of vouchers was also great!

Cons:

There weren't many cons for us, we were happy with the product however managed to find an alternative platform that had similar rewards therefore, we cancelled our contract this year. The engagement did drop after a little while so would've been nice to have something to keep the team engaged!

Entertainment, 51–200 Employees

Matter Appreciation

5.0 last month New

Pros:

I like the immediate feedback and the variety of reward options.

Cons:

Sometimes I have to mute the notifications because so many staffers give and receive feedback. I guess that's a great problem to have.

Britney
Britney
Event Operations Executive in US
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Love using Matter

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: It's a great way to show appreciation to your team!

Pros:

Allows our team to send recognition to each other

Cons:

Nothing, I have had no cons using Matter!

Construction, 11–50 Employees

Using Matter has been a game-changer for our team communication!

Comments: Very easy and highly recommended for teams looking to boost productivity and communication!

Pros:

The platform is intuitive, making collaboration seamless. The organization of channels and direct messages keeps everything tidy, and the integrations add tremendous value to our workflow.

Cons:

1. A little limited in Kudos output formats 2. There aren't many charities to choose from for donations.

Tasha
Informatics Specialist in US
Hospital & Health Care, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Reliable, Innovative Employee Platform

Comments: The problem is employee engagment.

Pros:

I really like how easy the software is to set up and the integration with Slack. Adding additional teammates to the workspace was a breeze and the platform is easy to understand, especially with the walkthroughs. I feel that the feedback on the platform for the employees is easy to post and isolate. Reports also help to see trends. The notifications of new activities are so quick too

Cons:

I much of this platform and there are many fun and new features, however, I did not have an idea wall amongst employees or something that employees could use as a suggestion wall.

3 years ago

Thank you for the kind review, Tasha! Glad to hear the Slack integration is working well with your team.

Dominik
Chief Happiness Officer in Germany
Design, 51–200 Employees

Best Feedback Tool For Collaborative Companies

Comments: So far really great! There are a few minor issues, that would be nice to haves in the near future, like being able to change colours or sublines of the skills, once you already got feedback on them and the managerial access to all profiles in our space.

Pros:

- The Usability of the overall software - The visuals, that immerse you into the world of feedback - The possibilities to request feedback, perfectly taylored to everyone's needs - The possibility to send Kudos - The Slack integration is working really nice - The overview of the progress over time

Cons:

Since I'm managing the feedbacks and a lot of people don't really move as fast as needed with managing their own feedbacks, I'm really missing a management possibility to get access to their feedback pages without them having me to send the magic sing-in link all the time

3 years ago

Thank you for the happy review, Dominik. I'll be sure to pass along your positive remarks to your design team!

Sam
Head Of Engineering in UK
Financial Services, 11–50 Employees

Matter is a great bit of kit for team recognition

Comments: Amazing - we love using Matter and people like receiving them

Pros:

We love that we can send recognition about an individual or group of people that everyone can see. Receiving a matter is always a lifting moment of the day.

Cons:

The weekly MVP always feels broken - we can't work it out!

Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Great way to ask for feedback if you're shy

Pros:

Matter.app makes it easy to ask others for feedback and then see their result with clear action points (though these are selected from a list of suggestions). It's a nice way to create the habit of giving and receiving feedback. Not all feedback you get will be useful, but the ones that are really help.

Cons:

Giving feedback is still hard - especially if you don't know what to talk about. It's common for someone to request you feedback regarding one of their skills... and nothing comes to mind. The problem is that feedback should occur in the moment the be timely - and between the event that could originate a good feedback and the feedback request, that timing is gone. The result is that some of the feedback you'll get will be confusing, contradictory, and not helpful at all

3 years ago

Knowing how your team prefers to receive feedback is important. That's why we built Matter so that all learners can gather and process feedback. We're continuing to make feedback even more relevant through various integration like Slack to make feedback more conversational and real-time.

Amanda
CoC Coordinated Entry Specialist in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51–200 Employees

This Matters

Comments: I utilize Matter weekly by sending encouragement and good jobs.

Pros:

The ability to show good teamwork or work in general to others in the company.

Cons:

Not enough coins to give out each week to those being recognized.

Divi
Intake Specialist in Belize
Law Practice, 201–500 Employees

Recommend Matter

Pros:

The details it provides. You can customize it to whatever information it is you need.

Cons:

To be honest, I don't have anything to say in this section. I like everything.

Rain Steban
logistics coordinator in Colombia
Logistics & Supply Chain, 201–500 Employees

I matter, all of u matter

Pros:

what i like the mosta about matter is the facility to use it

Cons:

that it is not as famous as it should be

Carla
Web developer in UK
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Matter review

Pros:

That you gave give out kudos to your employees so easily!

Cons:

I don’t understand how the MVP is worked out

Computer Software, 10,000+ Employees

Amazing for 360 Degree Feedback

Comments: By far the most pleasant 360 feedback product ever created.

Pros:

Matter puts the individual in control of their 360 feedback.

Cons:

Would love live chat for questions, support, submitting feature requests. Would also love an enterprise plan.

3 years ago

Thank you for being one of our most loyal fans since day one! We just launched Matter for Teams last month. This new plan will give you access to a new Slack integration, weekly feedback Rituals, and more ways to build a happier remote culture. I'd love to get the opportunity to walk you through for Matter for Teams. Just drop me an email: tai(at)matterapp.com

Erin
Program Manager in US
Philanthropy, 11–50 Employees

Great way to encourage friendly team atmosphere - especially for remote teams!

Pros:

I love the commitment to creating a company culture of recognition, encouragement, and open communication. The app is more or less exclusively positive, making it really easy to give constant/recurring encouragement. Obviously there needs to be room for constructive feedback but to me this app isn't about feedback - it's about recognizing employees for their hard work and building a team that celebrates wins together.

Cons:

It does seem like a team needs to use Slack pretty actively to take advantage of some features; my organization relies on a different platform for messaging and file sharing, so that is a bit disappointing. I hope more integrations are in the future of Matter!

3 years ago

Regular encouragement is so important to build a happier team. We're so happy to hear that your team is using Matter to build a happier and stronger culture. We're hoping to release new integrations beyond Slack in the near future. I'd love to find time to chat to hear what messaging app you're currently using to share with our product team.

Steve
SDR in US
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

How Matter works for us!

Comments: Matter bot is fun to use and very engaging. You gt notified when someone posts in the channel and I always find myself reading all of the feedback.

Pros:

I really enjoy the ability to give back to my colleagues even when it's something small. helps bring all of the hard work to light and everyone can get their recognition.

Cons:

some of the themes can be repetitive but its not a big issue.

Alessandro
SDET in US
Financial Services, 11–50 Employees

Solid feedback system

Pros:

Considering the team is remote, matter is a great way to send out feedback you would be able to do in person at the office!

Cons:

I think the message templates get a little old

Austin
Project Specialist in US
Retail, 51–200 Employees

Matter Matters

Pros:

Employees really do feel special when they receive a shoutout for their hard work.

Cons:

I hear that the cost is a bit overpriced for the services provided.

yin syuan
Designer in UK
Design, 11–50 Employees

good software to say and shout out

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

The company and colleagues can easily shout out who've helped the teams and the value, we don't know how other people do for the work, so that's good to know everyone's effect for the company.

Cons:

didn't know the rest of the function of the software, only use the feedback management.