15 years helping British businesses

About MYOB Business

Small Business cloud based accounting software to automate payroll, client management, tax and all your accounting needs.

Learn more about MYOB Business

Pros:

Payroll is ok it has some nice features on pay items but nothing the old essentials could do easily.

Cons:

No real downsides to the system. As we were using Viberent as a custom software piece there were some glitches with the API integration but this is to be expected.

MYOB Business ratings

3.8
3.3
3.7
3.5

6.7/10

MYOB Business has an overall rating of 3.9 out of 5 stars based on 133 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used MYOB Business before?

Katrina
Katrina
Senior Accountant in Australia
Accounting, 11–50 Employees

Solid product for small business

Comments: Has been around for a long time. Tried and tested and is a great product. Starting to price a little higher but still competitive - especially if you have employees.

Pros:

Easy to use and well laid out for the end user. Is great for small operations without complex needs.

Cons:

Whilst bank rules are very handy - the auto reconciling of transactions can cause problems if rule set up incorrectly. Would be great if there was an option to make bulk transaction changes.

Elena
Tax accountant in Australia
Accounting, 2–10 Employees

Good software, has been better few years ago

Comments: I loved that software in 2006, it was great, so easy to use. Now it is not hat great, customer support needs a lot of improvement. Yet I think other competitors have their problems and overall MYOB is the best soft for a small business.

Pros:

I love the soft is so user-friendly. I have been using MYOB since 2006. As an accountant I use XERo, quickbooks, handisoft. I think that from the end user point of view MYOB still easiest business software. From an accountant point of view it is also very user friendly. It helps me fix the mistakes my clients made with an ease. Bank reconciliation used to be great, now, after some modifications it is much worse. Yet , overall I think that MYOB is still the sest business solution for a small business in Australia

Cons:

Customer support is not existent. Many of my client switched to Xero or quick books because of terrible customer support in MYOB

Mbiuki
Procurement Officer in US
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 1,001–5,000 Employees

MYOB Business has Incredible Accouting Features

Pros:

The features of this accounting system are incredible. MYOB Business is so amazing.

Cons:

MYOB Business has brilliant features. No issues about MYOB Business.

Matthew
Director in Australia
Construction, 2–10 Employees

Don't start your business accounting with a regrettable decision, look elsewhere!

Comments: Underwhelming to say the least. I was partially sold on the fact that they have a customer service number to assist if need be, don't be fooled by this either, the call centre workers are rather unfamiliar with the MYOB product (unless I was unfortunate enough to speak with their newest member each time) and all my queries had to be looked up each time and they read answers from a screen which I could find on-line myself , they weren't able to elaborate nor answer any further questions I had outside of what was written in front of them.

Pros:

Reasonably easy to use but have found Xero to be much better in almost every way.

Cons:

Limited features and limited expandability compared to Xero. No was to have a back up of accounting file on your computer. If or once you decide Essentials ins't for you, they do not offer a way to transfer to their own Account Rite product nor do they off to export data to Xero. They will give you 1 month access as a read only before all data is deleted off their server unless you pay $25 Per month for the remaining 5 years you're required to keep the data

Valentina
Marketing Manager in US
Hospital & Health Care, 1,001–5,000 Employees

MYOB Business Is a Sensational Accounting Solution

Pros:

This accounting solution has been working so well for use due to its effective features. MYOB Business has been highly reliable and easy to use.

Cons:

I do not have cons for MYOB Business. MYOB Business works so well.

MYOB Response

3 months ago

Hey Valentina! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! We're glad to hear it's been an easy experience using MYOB Business.

Quentin
QS Estimator in New Zealand
Construction, 2–10 Employees

MYOB Business - Great Software for medium sized businesses

Pros:

The financial reporting abilities of MYOB Business are very good and very well developed. They present accurate and real time reports that allow for a large volume of information to be automatically reported from a business management point of view. The ability to add specific permission levels to individual users is also highly valuable as the there may be some layers f information that the company does not want the individual to have access to which is something MYOB has done really well.

Cons:

MYOB is more costly than a number of other accounting software packages on the market, although it is more powerful and has more functions. From a personal point of view the user interfaces feel outdated. Although they are very powerful and have a lot of functionality it presents as though it is a 20 year old version of windows.

MYOB Response

6 months ago

Hi Quentin, thanks for taking the time to lead a review! Love hearing that your choice to partner with MYOB has been successful.

Brendan
Brendan
Actor/ Writer/ Producer in Australia
Entertainment, 2–10 Employees

Full of features.

Comments: Great option for this doing day to day business, May be a little expensive for those just starting out.

Pros:

Packed with features for invoicing and accounting needs.

Cons:

Very expensive when compared to similar products.

Paul
Managing Director in Australia
Consumer Goods, 2–10 Employees

Probably OK If you Are a Trained Accountant or Bookkeeper

Comments: We wasted a lot of time and resources using this software for our small business accounting needs. Whilst it did the job in the end we believe there are simpler options such as XERO for us non- accountants.

Pros:

As a small business owner not trained in the art of accounting there wasn't a lot we found easy about using MYOB Essentials. The reporting process at the end is probably our highlight.

Cons:

We found MYOB Essentials cumbersome to set up and use. The support team was basically of little help. Sending files to our Accountant at the end of the tax year was a pain. MYOB Essentials is better suited to those with a deeper knowledge of accounting than what we have in our business. That is why we switched to XERO which we find much easier and more efficient to use.

Joe
Joe
DevOps Engineer in New Zealand
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Manual System Converted into Digital

Comments: MYOB has changed the way we work, simplifies book keeping to take away so much pain

Pros:

- Easy to signup and simple setup to get things started - Pricing - Special offer for new start ups - Invoice reminders - Invoice templates look very professional - Invoice shows when customer / vendor have viewed (SUPER HELPFUL) - Intray for emailing receipts and tracking

Cons:

- Not being able to invoice in multiple currencies, have to workarond this by invoicing in the charable foreign currency then after payment is recieved adjusting the template to the local amount that is received.

Adam
Director in Australia
Real Estate, 11–50 Employees

Great for payroll

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

We use MYOB for our payroll and it is very simple and functional software

Cons:

I don’t have a con for this software as we are very happy with it

Daniel
Surveyor in Australia
Civil Engineering, Self Employed

Get your act together

Comments: works well when it does, is terrible when it doesn't with zero customer support!

Pros:

Easy to use. If you have a computer, you can access everything

Cons:

Glitch with reconciliation. You have to go back to the dashboard if you want to reconcile a different account (each time) have been trying to setup bank feeds for credit card for years. Have been unable to update credit card details or pay the bill for the product for 2 months. Very annoying to log into, nearly every time you have to log in two or three times before you actually log in. If you like waiting on the phone to talk to someone, only for the call to time out after 40mins or get put through to some white noise, again and again this is the company for you.

Bridie
Head of Operations in Australia
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

MYOB Business

Comments: Overall I like using MYOB Business I feel my skills in accounting are only getting stronger through utilising MYOB daily.

Pros:

I find MYOB relatively straight-forward to use. I have had to teach myself as my background is in education and not accounting. I find the forums helpful. I find I learn through practise so the more I am using MYOB Business the easier it is becoming for me.

Cons:

I would love it to be easier to switch between products and for it to simply be as easy as clicking a button to transfer all our data across.

Jennifer
Operations in Australia
Retail, 2–10 Employees

Ok platform at the time however went with Xero

Pros:

I needed the ability to access accounting transactions online.

Cons:

What I liked least about MYOB business is that is was very limited therefore went with Xero.

Kara
Tax Agent in Australia

Myob

Comments: Very easy to use. Clients are happy with it and also find it easy with minimal questions

Pros:

The ease of using this program. Being able to get into clients accounts and finalising their work.

Cons:

I have no issues to report with this program.

Elizabeth
Owner in Australia
Food & Beverages, 2–10 Employees

Upgrade of platform rubbish

Comments: Very frustrating, dissatisfaction and disappointment.
Will be looking at Xero.

Pros:

Nothing about the new upgraded platform, all information has to transferred over. Too many gimmicks of cartoon characters , boxes with useless information and graphs taking up half of the dashboard. Support of myob is very inexperienced and wasted 3 hrs on the phone to resolve payroll issues. Did not ask or want the upgrade now paying more for a useless product.

Cons:

Navigation is too complex, nothing is clear and simple. Super is not calculated correctly, some of the information has not migrated over with the new platform had to re input details. A lot of wasted time.

Pam
Executive Manager Finance & Administration in Australia
Primary/Secondary Education, 51–200 Employees

Small business user

Comments: Good program for small business and very easy to fix mistakes but no audit trail

Pros:

Easy to use and can have detailed accounts set up,at 4 levels Reports are set up so easy to use out of the box Great program in box

Cons:

From an audit perspective not great as you can renter things without an audit trail No reporting flexibility

Marilyn
Office Manager in Australia
Retail, 2–10 Employees

Processing

Comments: The background of MYOB needs to be updated to keep up with the updates

Pros:

This software is easy to use . It has all the modules you need to run a small to medium business in todays environment.

Cons:

Processing is slow and will freeze the screen Myob does not like large files which is a huge problem.

Michele
Accountant in Australia

ease of use

Comments: Makes my work life convenient

Pros:

Helps a lot with accounting work for clients. Myob essential version allows me to log in and work on in where ever I’m located (as long as I have internet access)

Cons:

Only worked when there is internet access available, not available offine.

Legislative Office, 501–1,000 Employees

Great Product

Comments: I would recommend it to someone say a professional bookkeeper, I found Quickbooks to be more user friendly for easy bookkeeping soultuons also finding Quickbooks a lot cheaper than MYOB.

Pros:

Very detailed, Easy to add transactions.

Cons:

I found the software was not very “user friendly” especially as someone who isn’t the greatest at Bookeeping, the terms (words) and navigation was very hard sometimes. I ended up switching to Quickbooks.

Beverly
clinic owner in Canada
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2–10 Employees

MYOB software

Pros:

Process was easy to set up, had some good features that were used frequently

Cons:

Needed more features added to make good use of the accounting,invoices were limited

Neil
Director in New Zealand
Veterinary, 2–10 Employees

Where's the support?

Comments: I would definitely not recommend this product when there are better ones on the market, such as Xero.

Pros:

It integrated with my previous payroll programme

Cons:

Difficult to fix problems. Useless customer support. Currently on hold for 110 minutes and counting, and have been "first in the queue" for at least 40 minutes. Their support number is not easy to find and the wait times are unacceptable. Also, the payroll needs more steps than xero to pay staff and report to IRD.

matt
director in Australia
Construction, Self Employed

A must for any small business

Pros:

its ease of use, Its simple. Everything is a click a way all bookkeepers and accountnats will have access in the back ground to pullt he data they need to complete tax things

Cons:

I would ideally like to see a scheduling app or component added which id desktop and phone friendly

Glenn
Software Developer
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Can not export or import anything useful. Locked in.

Comments: I would avoid unless you only want to use it for a small business with no plans to grow to the stage where you need to upgrade your accounting software. Also requires a internet connection to run.

Pros:

Easy to use for a small business. Its web based so you dont need to install any software, and you can use it from any location where you have internet access.

Cons:

Import and export data options VERY limited. Can only import items and contacts, can only export a account and journal summary for your accountant. This means you cant use Essentials with a 3rd part system, or export your data if you later decide to stop using Essentials, effectively locking you in. Would make it difficult for a growing business to upgrade to a more advanced accounting system, you would need to manually enter all your records from scratch.

Harinder
Managing Director in New Zealand
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 2–10 Employees

Call center people don't know what they are doing or how to setup licence properly

Comments: Horrible experience so far with MYOB, time I have waste every day to get my MYOB going is beyond limit as I have other things to do.

Pros:

Overall software is not bad but support team is not trained enough to sort out all the issues customer might have. I know my licence issue not been resolved from last two months!!!

Cons:

I'm trying to sort out my licence issue from last two months but unfortunately it is still keep going. I have to spend couple of hours on phone to get it sorted and they assure it won't happen again but after couple of weeks and sometime every next day it stop working and keep asking for renew your subscription. I'm very much pissed off with support people as it seems like they don't know shit and I'm thinking to change to xero instead.

Marcus  Maciej
Marcus Maciej
Art Director in Australia

The interface is ok but the customer service is terrible

Pros:

I liked the layout of the software. It is generally easy to use. The colour palette and general design is quite pleasing to the eye.

Cons:

It's quite expensive for a small business and of course they hide a lot of information before you purchase. At per month I could not enter more than 5 expenses per month! Ridiculous! Had to upgrade! Cancelling you account is very difficult and they will try and screw you out of every last cent. I will never ever use this company or software again. SO ANGRY at the account closing process. They might have stolen but it has cost them a customer and I will tell everybody I meet to avoid that software and company like the plague!