Square for Restaurants Reviews

by Square

• Overall
    4.2/5
    4.4/5
    3.7/5

About Square for Restaurants

Run your restaurant how you've always wanted (faster) with Square for Restaurants. It's built for front of house and back of house.

Learn more about Square for Restaurants

Ryan P.
Office Assistant
Financial Services, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/01/2020

"Super easy to use and convenient!"

Comments: I enjoy it a lot and will continue to use

Pros: I really love using this software! It is so easy to use and is always quick to use, never issues with it! This is important in the restaurant

Cons: The only con is that the fees get a little expensive at times, especially when you manually enter info

• Reviewed on 07/01/2020
Kevin Z.
Director Of Operations
Food & Beverages, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/01/2020

"The Obivious choice for Payment processing "

Comments: The major benefits we experience are as follow: Payment processing is a breeze, we are able to integrate our system with Quick books seamlessly, the many option for accepting payment means we never miss out on being able to receive payment at any time, Customer service is very helpful and they genuinely care about helping your business succeed and the most important for us is we never have to think about it, it just works.

Pros: Square has streamlined my credit card processing immensely, We were using a different merchant service before that had higher fees and less intuitive features. Square is very useful for our staff accepting payments on site, at events, Bar Tending and processing catering invoice payments. it is fully integrated with our Quickbooks software for a streamlined process. The speed in which receiving credit to our bank account is also pleasantly fast. Finally being able to accept a credit card while in an out of service area (No Wifi/Cellular) is an excellent feature we have already taken advantage of.

Cons: There are no issues in the two years I have been using Square to report. The addition of NFC payments has made my life even better!

• Reviewed on 15/01/2020
Brian K.
Food & Beverages, 13-50 Employees
  • Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 16/01/2020

"Not Ready For Prime Time"

Comments: All the good things about Square exist with other systems that lack the bad things. They are new to the restaurant space and they are evolving, but they are not there yet.

Pros: The user interface is clear and simple. It works perfectly well for our servers.

Cons: The back of house reporting is a disaster. I’ve never worked with a more complicated, obtuse, confusing reporting function. They say you can customize your reports, but that’s true in only the simplest sense. We can’t customize reports so that all the info we want is in one place. We still need to bounce from report to report to find the data we need. It takes my bookkeeper far longer to reconcile sales to receivables than ever before, and occasionally we spend hours trying to make sense, on the phone with support personnel who also can’t make sense of the reports. Any positive reviews of the reporting functions are from customers that really use the reports seriously or diligently. If you care that your receipts are correct, Square makes it virtually impossible.

• Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 16/01/2020
Sarah S.
cafe manager
  • Reviewed on 29/07/2019

"Love it!"

Pros: The ease of entering in new items and organizing the screens is great and easy enough for even staff to do. We have worked with them to get certain end of day reports we needed but overall the accessibility to access what you need whether it be item sales per day, hour, category, etc. is really simple. Sending refunds, looking up transactions, or sending coupons is super fast and way easier than any other system I have used. The staff loves it because their tips have tripled with the suggested percentage buttons on the customer screen.

Cons: At first it was hard for me to gain access to troubleshooting help as a manager because I am not the owner of the company. They seem to have changed protocol lately so now when I call it is no problem. There are constant updates so sometimes there are changes in the system and certain ones we don't like or want. However, I have been able to call and they can talk me through how to change the settings.

• Reviewed on 29/07/2019
Bryan G.
Marketing Manger
Market Research, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/03/2019

"Swipe right material"

Comments: Overall ok. Worked most of the time and I like that you can hook up your phone to the little swiping dude. Fix the tipping section at a buyer's checkout stage and you will do wonders. Lower CC fees please.

Pros: Working at a restaurant, this software made life easy for everybody (most of the time). Easy to set up a menu and add images, calculate tax, and reports.

Cons: When wifi went down so did our morale. However, the worst thing about this program was the Tipping Section. Customer's can't read the fine text at the tip checkout phase. They are deer in headlights. "Where do i sign?!" "What do I do" There is a big hiccup at this stage of the check out. Please bring up to your UX team. Square needs to make it simpler for end users. Bless them. I heard the fees are higher than most competitors.

• Reviewed on 13/03/2019
Karen G.
Food & Beverages, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/06/2020

"Advertises as free But takes high % and functions are extra"

Comments: It works ok. If you purchase the full upgrades you try in the trial
The reality of the free version is woefully inadequate

Pros: The integration to inventory management system and xero and payment system via online store too

Cons: Its expensive. Starts around 1.7% of your sales. The free version has massive limitations on functionality.
Standard POS functions like end of day closing reports and having different users permissions /access are all part of the upgrade version. I feel they deliberately limit key functions to force you to upgrade whilst heavily promoting its free. Upgrade is Maybe another $200/mth. So 1.7% of your total sales plus $2400 p.a.

• Reviewed on 26/06/2020
Greg S.
Restaurants, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/03/2020

"Used square for a food trailer."

Comments: Square has been great for our food trailer. Ours came with a card swiper and we purchased the chip reader for less than $50.00.

Pros: Square is easy to use. The chip reader is easy to connect to your phone with bluetooth. The transaction are in your account the next day.

Cons: The chip reader does not stay on long enough when not in use, and you have to reconnect to your phone everytime you turn it back on.

• Reviewed on 11/03/2020
Kiki P.
Nurse
Hospital & Health Care, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 08/08/2019

"iPad transactions"

Pros: I used square for a bakery I previously worked at. It’s pretty straight forward. Swipe the card and it goes through the POS on the iPad

Cons: The system sometimes crashed. Not sure if it was Square or the server were using.

• Reviewed on 08/08/2019
Sage C.
District manager
Human Resources, 10,001+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/02/2020

"Easy and quick"

Comments: Great for my family’s cute little food truck!

Pros: I used this when working for my aunts food truck and I was helping them last minute when an employee called in sick, I was thrown in without much training on the system and I quickly figured it out myself. Simple and easy POS for small businesses like the food truck! Can’t complain about the price either!

Cons: Some connectivity issues, but worked great for the most part.

• Reviewed on 22/02/2020
Cait W.
Teacher
Education Management, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/03/2019

"Review 11 Square for Restaurants"

Pros: I am a customer that has a friend that uses this for her small business. I love that this product gives small business the ability to set this up without paying for credit/debit fees.

Cons: I think this software is great - sometimes I have seen people struggle with their cards swiping correctly (could be user error)

• Reviewed on 12/03/2019
  • Reviewed on 02/05/2019

"A POS that can keep up with my servers"

Comments: LOVE this POS. It’s sleek, modern, and up to date with the rest of the community’s technology. It puts me a step above the competition because my POS helps me streamline our productivity in many different ways.

Pros: Fully customizable menu and layouts that I’m able to update remotely. This keeps travel costs down and software updates minimal.

Cons: Even though it has a great interface, my servers aren’t used to this POS because it’s fairly new and there is a learning curve.

• Reviewed on 02/05/2019
Harry B.
General Manager
  • Reviewed on 30/01/2020

"Not really for full service restaurants"

Comments: The advantage is that you can get into to it inexpensively. But if you have experience in a full service restaurant, you will immediately find where it is lacking. No way to start tabs, back end reports are not helpful, occasional payments disappear, not real support set-up, no real-time off site reports available.

Pros: Easy to set up and inexpensive, financed equipment

Cons: Doesn't handle large volume well, back-end reporting lacking, customer support non-existant

• Reviewed on 30/01/2020
Jose H.
Carpenter
Construction, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 08/02/2020

"No cash, no problem!!"

Comments: All in all I have had a great experience so far and I’m hoping the deposits being held longer then expected issue gets fixed expeditiously

Pros: so Simple and way easy to use. Really helps out small businesses everywhere.

Cons: Needs work on clearing deposits in a more timely fashion

• Reviewed on 08/02/2020
Rochelle W.
Entertainment, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/05/2019

"Saved the small restaurant business "

Comments: Overall I think this has been great. Works well for small restaurants, especially mobile food trucks.

Pros: I love that product. It has made it easy for consumers to make purchases with debit and credit card in an era where nobody really uses cash too much.

Cons: Sometimes the square might not be able to read the card that is used to make purchase but if that doesn’t work you can always key in the card number so you don’t miss sale.

• Reviewed on 23/05/2019
Donna C.
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/12/2019

"square "

Comments: excellent and not had any breaches yet but always a worry

Pros: easy to use at any restaurant, dont have to carry cash when you are traveling convenient and easy to use

Cons: I am always worried about the security issue with such a mobile device using my information to make payments

• Reviewed on 11/12/2019
Michele G.
chef
Food & Beverages, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/01/2020

"easy to set up"

Pros: categorizes receipts and customers very well, very easy to use and set up

Cons: finding a place for the hardware/ connection if its not tied to table software

• Reviewed on 10/01/2020
Branden K.
Arts & Crafts, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/01/2020

"Not Worth The Time "

Comments: When using Square we did not have the best experience and the customer service was not the greatest either they are very rude and do not know how to talk to people with respect. They do not offer protection for customers when purchasing products online or directly through the store like PayPal or other online softwares which is a problem not only for us as a business but for our customers as well.

Pros: Connects straight to banking system, Can use small Tablets and phone to do business

Cons: Fees are larger than most other software systems, money does not deposit directly to bank you have to request that money is sent.

• Reviewed on 14/01/2020
Nachi S.
Head Personal Development & Life Coach
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/05/2019

"I was a customer"

Pros: I have seen these being used at many establishments and they are user friendly and hip to the times and age of tablets, phones etc...

Cons: I wish they came with pens for signing my signature rather than using my finger, but it's ok.

• Reviewed on 20/05/2019