Awesome Database Tool

Danny S.
President/CTO
Accounting, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I have been using WinSQL for many years, and unlike people, it just gets better with age. I'm a big believer in the product, and it has always performed very well regardless of which DB I'm using. It is a great tool for prototyping, development and production platforms. It has way more features than any of the free DB-specific browser/query tools, and now it even has its own data specific plug-in ODBC drivers. As a developer, having one tool to master and use against a variety of DB products, has saved me many hours over the years that I could put toward other phases of development instead of spending time on DB schema, query, stored procedure building and other issues. As an end-user tool, I have never found anything users liked better than WinSQL. Because of its ease of use, it takes the fear of complexity out of learning to use a query and reporting tool.

Pros: Among the many great features of WinSQL, the one that stands out the most is it ease of use. From setting up a DSN to creating and executing a query, WinSQL makes it so easy that I have been able to quickly train non-IT users how to run their own queries and reports. By enabling users to do so much with the tool, it really reduces the requests and workload for IT. Its ease of use also means new developers have a tool they can use to quickly check DB results from running their development programs in a test mode, or to quickly populate a table with test data to use for testing their program's DB I/O, either using WinSQL's Test Data Generation Wizard, or simply writing a quick INSERT group of records, and doing it manually. It is such a versatile tool with so many great features, it is hard to say which is my favorite. It all depends on what I'm doing in my development work, then whatever WinSQL feature I'm using, becomes my favorite. That is what makes it such an awesome database tool, its breadth of features!

Cons: About the only thing I don't find very useful is the Task Scheduler. That is only because I have always used a different scheduler. So it isn't that I like it the least, it is just the feature I use the least. I can't think of anything I don't like about the tool.

WinSQL is a great tool for developing web tools

Nathaniel M.
Customer Program Analyst
Utilities, 1,001-5,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: During the 30 day trial, I was able to use the full version and I could do pretty much anything I needed to, including being able to explore the server stored procedures and find logic problems our vendor had introduced when programming the database. Currently, I still use it daily to pull information and compile reports and am very satisfied with it's performance.

Pros: I like that WinSQL has all the features needed to find information in most databases even if using the free version. I use it to connect to an Informix server while MS SQL server manager will not.

Cons: The restriction to a single server connection in the free version is an annoyance, but I understand it's incentive to purchase the full version.

Excellent, flexible SQL query tool

Shane D.
IT administrator
Financial Services, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: This is my go-to SQL query tool, and has been for many years. It does what it says. I do wish there were some better options for interface colors or theming, but it works well without that.

Pros: Very easy to setup to and use just about any database connections you’d need.

Cons: The interface looks a bit dated. If there are any auto-formatting features for sql code I haven’t found them. A mini-map for larger queries would also be helpful.

by Synametrics Technologies on 06/03/2019

Auto-formatting feature will be available in the upcoming version 12.

WinSQL the way to pull your data

Chris V.
Sr. Industrial Engineer
Warehousing, 1,001-5,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Generally use it for adhoc data collection and the base to create user refresh able excel sheets.

Pros: I have medium level SQL skills. WinSQL is easy to use with no extra stuff. WinSQL never slows me down. I like the different tabs and the ability to keep the query on the session.

Cons: Hard to export large data sets (over 200k records)

by Synametrics Technologies on 06/03/2019

Chris, WinSQL should be able to export over 200K records. Could you please contact our support so we can investigate why is it not letting you do that.

Queries with WinSQL

Leon B.
Industrial engineer
Semiconductors, 10,001+ Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We have to constantly extract information form our DB2 databases. WinSQL is a fantastic tool to do so.

Pros: The lite version is very easy to install and easy to use and it's free!

Cons: With the new version, the software ask us frequently to reconnect. Secondly, maybe it's because I don't know how to do it but I'm not able to change the font size. I would also like to be able to remove the yellow area that pops up when you run a request.

Why did I using MySQL

Patrick H.
Application Integrator
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Connection to each ODBC databases.
Possibility to have query results in full page, in table or in text (for multiple select)

Cons: Since last version, it's impossible to do a search on a text result.
Impossible to do a direct connection with a database (with IP adress)

by Synametrics Technologies on 06/03/2019

You should be able to connect to a database using just the host IP. That information is stored in the ODBC DSN. Contact our support if you need further help regarding this.

A simple SQL editor

Reviewed on 03/03/2019
Applications Analyst
Information Technology & Services, 10,001+ Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I have used WinSQL for finding and fixing data errors in ERP systems: eg: Make items with no BOMs, BOMs where components are missing from item master etc.

Pros: Ease of use, and bundled ODBC drivers mean WinSQL is the easiest way to extract data from virtually any database.

Cons: The Free "Lite" version is missing some useful features, but that is what one would expect.

WinSQL Review

Richard C.
Senior Developer
Computer Software, 501-1,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I really like the software and have had very few problems with it. It's easy to install, easy to use, pretty fast and reliable.

Pros: Free to use.
Easy to use.
Reliable and fast.

Cons: On INFORMIX databases, it sorts the tables in the Catalog Details tab by owner. Owner is worthless and this make finding one table time consuming if you have over 1300 tables like we do.

WinSQL Champs

Joe A.
Mgr Data Science
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 10,001+ Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I have been using WinSQl for about 9 years and it has been a great choice. Each new version come with new innovative features. Keep it up Synametrics!

Pros: The product is affordable and is packed with many advanced features. You can schedule to run, you can create groupings / categories of sql

Cons: Not all data base drivers are supported.

WinSQL - all databases in one place

Jay J.
Technologist
Hospital & Health Care, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I have used WinSQL for over 10 years. When I need a tool for querying - I download WinSQL and I'm ready to go.

Pros: If i'm thrown Informix, or MSSQL, or even Access data - I have a single query analyzer/enterprise mgmt tool that lets me connect to any of them.

Cons: I wish it were available on Mac OS, but it's not.

Good Experience

Manish S.
Analytics
Insurance, 10,001+ Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I am quite happy. We deal with 3-4 different types of servers and WinSql comes quite handy

Pros: Ability to connect all types of servers, easy to use, export files easily

Cons: Some performance issues. Sometime Hang-up and then closes automatically

WIN SQL review

Brian R.
Portfolio Manageemnt Analyst
Financial Services, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: finding data for multiple solutions

Pros: easy to search multiple databases and have multiple queries open.

Cons: troubleshooting database connections and access can be difficult to navigate with the provided error messages

Winsql and Me

Allan O.
IT Implementation MANAGER
Logistics & Supply Chain, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Scheduling of queries and distribution of basic reports to users

Pros: Winsql offers features over and above that of SSMS to a point where its my preferred querying tool. Its features to create scheduling and email tasks is great and the tool for creating executable queries is a real bonus

Cons: The one thing I can see that it really lacks is error prompting as SSMS has

Developer

Herman M.
Presidente
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We are developers and we need to be able to interact with different databases of the market, in many cases it has allowed us to migrate data to carry out our applications on the different entities

Pros: To be able to connect with multiple types of database
Good tool for migration between databases

Cons: With winsql I can not connect directly with jdbc, as is done with the tool in java, should have in winsql the 2 options. Nowadays everyone connects with JDBC, it is a limitation

by Synametrics Technologies on 06/03/2019

You can connect to a JDBC datasource if you have a ODBC-JDBC bridge, which is developed by a few third-party companies.

WinSQL review

Levi E.
Senior Support Specialist
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: I like the ability to sort results by specific columns.

Cons: I would like the ability to remove columns that I do not want in my results. For example, if it returns nothing.

My everyday app

Luis S.
System Engineer
Hospital & Health Care, 501-1,000 Employees

Comments: I use it since v6.5 and it's my favourite app for the job

Pros: Versatility, fast for loading, lighter than SQL Managment Studio

Cons: lite features are annoying instead of restrictive

Data Storage

Stephanie L.
Analyst
Market Research, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I have learned so much about the quality of company data using WinSQL. Overall, I'm pretty happy with this product

Pros: I work with a lot of data, so the vast amount I can store and work with is nice.

Cons: It times out all of the time and some of the user-friendly settings are hard to track down

SQL made simple

Wyatt H.
Director of Technical Development
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I have used this tool for 15-20 years, great product.

Pros: lite software
easy to use
easy to setup
great tool

Cons: I am having ha hard time putting anything here, it just works, you could say its simplicity is a con or a pro.

WinSQL Easy to use

Lynda C.
DB2 DBA
Hospital & Health Care, 10,001+ Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Makes writing SQL super easy and getting the reports out of WinSQL is easy too.

Cons: I'm not the best at using the popup window with column names in it.

WinSQL is now banned on SAP IQ

John G.
Database Management Team Leader
Broadcast Media, 10,001+ Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: It’s a shame we had to ban it. Although very slow to start on a large Datawarehouse, it had a good user interface and searching for objects was better than the tools provided by SAP.

Pros: Easy to use, good catalogue of objects, but this has caused massive problems

Cons: WinSQL on SAP IQ multiplex with 60,000 objects has been causing significant degradation in performance. The background refresh even caused outages on busy days.
Since it was banned, we have seen performance gains and stability of the IQ service has improved.

Review for WinSQL

Reviewed on 07/03/2019
Divya K.
Associate System Engineer
Insurance, 201-500 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: It is useful to execute the query's and get their corresponding results..

Cons: It frequently asks for WinSQL key and works too slow sometimes

A great SQL report writer option

James B.
VP for Enrollment Management
Education Management, 201-500 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: I really liked the fact that WinSQL takes up very little memory, and it has not issues handling very large datasets. I also like the ability to quickly modify syntax and re-run scripts.

Cons: I wish there was just a few more options for outputs (easier cross-tabs or charts) and perhaps a little more GUI for using the product.

WinSQL is great

Benjamin V.
IT Manager
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: WinSQL is the defacto client for our techs and customers to do queries and analyze data.

Cons: Not much to dislike, Price is always a consideration but this ia value.

Easy to use

Sudeep K.
Tech lead
E-Learning, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Can connect to multiple windows and databases.

Cons: User interface is great. And the result space allows to copy the complete data.