15 years helping British businesses

United Kingdom Local product

BuzzSumo Reviews

4.5 (147) Write a Review! United Kingdom Local product

About BuzzSumo

Find influencers in any topic area. Review the content they share and amplify. The world's most-loved content marketing software.

Learn more about BuzzSumo

Pros:

We've created some top-performing articles based on reviewing what other articles have a high volume of shares. This translates into SEO and real revenue for the company.

Cons:

There is any cons except that there is very limited resources on the free plan which makes it very difficult to test all the features before you purchase.

BuzzSumo ratings

4.1

8.4/10

BuzzSumo has an overall rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars based on 147 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used BuzzSumo before?

Volodymyr
Volodymyr
Marketing Content Manager in Ukraine
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Essential Content Research Tool

Comments: Developing good content means you need to do a lot of research and sometimes that can be a dubious process even if you have all the tools. Hopefuly, BuzzSumo is one of those tools that makes the process of content research much easier and much more insightful in just a couple of clicks.

Pros:

BuzzSumo is tailor-made for content reseach, competition analysis, backlinking and outreach research. It was instrumental in developing my long-term content strategy and adjusting it on the go. BuzzSumo is relatively easy to use and you don't need to tackle with lots of toggles in order to get a semblance of a result. Saves a lot of time and provides you with a good protection from a content-related headache. All you need to do is insert the words of interests - look through the stats and check out what is up in the list.

Cons:

It takes so time to get used to it and it can be really rough in some places. That might be a serious put off. Pricing also may scare some but it is totally worth it.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 201–500 Employees

One-In-All Content Marketing Tool to improve ROI

Comments: Good experience

Pros:

We use BuzzSumo to improve our organic & paid marketing campaign results. It helps us across the following: 1. Understand what content works the best to get more engagement, likes, shares, comments and increase the number of followers. 2. Identify Influencers who have a high engagement rate & good fan following for our business domain. 3. Be quick in responding back to our followers when they comment about us or ask questions on social platforms. 4. Improve content success and team enthusiasm through best analytics, reports, and numbers. 5. Ensure a higher ROI on our SEO campaigns 6. Know the trend, search terms, phrases and develop content around that to reach our target audience.

Cons:

It's an expensive tool and needs a lot of effort to get the desired results. Ahrefs has more features than BuzzSumo.

Holly
Technical lead in UK
Education Management, 51–200 Employees

Insightful Content Discovery

4.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

I quickly identified trending topics in my niche, which helped me create engaging blog posts. It was great to see the kind of content that resonates with my audience.

Cons:

Accessing some advanced features required a premium subscription, which added up quickly.

Steven
Marketing Manager in US
Real Estate, 201–500 Employees

Their Purpose is Cloudy

Pros:

Originally, it was a good tool for us to get some data on social sharing for our content and help us identify any influencers. We originally got it to help us monitor our brand, but it proved difficult with the tool, hence the shift in its use.

Cons:

Nowadays, the product is spotty in what it delivers and what its purpose is. It's monitoring tools for influencers, content, and social doesn't seem accurate from our standpoint. And there's no one helping us understand how to best use it (no support).

Brandwatch Response

5 years ago

Hi Steven, Sorry to hear that your experience with BuzzSumo didn't fulfil your needs. Our team are always on standby to help assist you and we even offer 121 live support sessions where we can assist you to get the best out of the tool. Best thing to do is to contact us directly using the in-app chat and we can offer you the assistance to unlock the full potential of BuzzSumo. If you do choose to come back please do make sure you drop us a note and we can see how best to help. Thanks for your feedback and being a valued customer!

Mbiuki
Procurement Officer in US
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 1,001–5,000 Employees

BuzzSumo Has Brilliant Capabilities

Pros:

BuzzSumo has effective features that makes it easy for us to market our brand. I like the capabilities of BuzzSumo.

Cons:

BuzzSumo is so amazing. No issues about BuzzSumo.

Katya
Developer in US
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Social Media Research and Marketing Insights

Comments: Monitoring brand mentions, identifying trends, and competitor analysis are some of the great benefits from Buzzsumo.

Pros:

This software helps you narrow down on the content with the best engagement and outreach opportunities, so you can avoid a lot of trial and error (which saves time and money in the short and long run!).

Cons:

It's a bit pricey and sometimes the mentions you get are from low quality websites that I'm not sure are legit. Navigation seemed a bit dated, or maybe just very bare-bones.

Younes
Younes
Full Time Translator in Algeria
Publishing, 11–50 Employees

a gold mine for content creator

Comments: I really enjoy using BuzzSumo since it is like a swiss knife for the content strategy planning, SEO and Marketing in general.

Pros:

I like the Content Analyzer feature because it is accurate most of time and support a lot of languages.

Cons:

Topic Explorer feature can use a more improvement.

Jose
Data Analyst in Argentina
Marketing & Advertising, 501–1,000 Employees

BuzzSumo

Comments: I mostly use them to monitor different brands and how media talk about them, if there's a crisis or a viral news that impacts business.Also, to keep up with the latest news about fashion, tv, sports and other topics of interest.

Pros:

BuzzSumo is a great tool for grouping all the news available on sites, blogs and Youtube into different categories.

Cons:

Sometimes it gets too repetitive with the same news showed through different portals. It should have a way to group them under the same title using AI features.

Carla
IT Manager in US
Hospital & Health Care, 1,001–5,000 Employees

BuzzSumo: A Great Tool for Content Marketing

Pros:

For proper content marketing, BuzzSumo has been so appropriate to use. BuzzSumo is highly reliable.

Cons:

I like the efficiency of BuzzSumo. BuzzSumo has zero flaws.

Jackson
IT Manager in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 1,001–5,000 Employees

BuzzSumo Is an Essential Marketing Solution

Pros:

BuzzSumo is a reliable content marketing solution. I like the effective features of BuzzSumo.

Cons:

I do not dislike the features of BuzzSumo. BuzzSumo is amazing.

Alyssa
Senior Marketing Analyst in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51–200 Employees

Great for measuring backlinks and level of social sharing

Comments: Generally good. Could certainly be improved, and be an even better product, but overall couldn't do without it.

Pros:

I find BuzzSumo to be the best solution out there to gauge how much an article has been shared across the web. It is generally more comprehensive than other applications we pay for. I use it in concert with CrowdTangle as well, and I find that it is better for finding Twitter shares. I like that the brand/keyword monitoring is very easy to set up and use. Support has always been responsive and good.

Cons:

I think BuzzSumo does an interesting range of things it can be hard to use to their fullest capacity. I always felt that the "influencer" section wasn't fully finished, it's changed a few times since I was a customer. I found it to be useful to a degree (checking at a glance if a Twitter sharer was someone I had added to a VIP list, for example) but not much beyond that. Also - the alerts sometimes scrape up old content, which can be confusing. Especially if you have alerts sent to multiple people.

Alina
PPC Specialist in Romania
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Great Marketing Tool

Comments: BuzzSumo is one of the most well-thought marketing products I worked with. It is great for keeping up with industry trends in general and utilize it on multiple smaller uses cases.

Pros:

It is a highly versatile software. It feels like a Swiss Army Knife. I use it mostly to find backlinks to the site and to find questions people ask about keywords. BuzzSumo is really to keep up to date on certain topics. The alerts are a great feature. Very easy to customize and offer greats insights into customer behavior.

Cons:

The value is undisputed but the price of 99$ per month is very high. I think they are just focusing on big companies. As a small company, you have to make sure you make the most out of it if you buy it.

Antoinette
Content Manager in Ireland
Government Relations, 201–500 Employees

Best content marketing tool on the market

Comments: Excellent. It took me a while to procure due to internal issues but the team was very helpful and patient, giving me access when needed. I feel very valued and listened to even though I'm on one of the lower paid tiers.

Pros:

BuzzSumo was the first tool of its kind I came across. It was almost magical to be able to explore a list of most effective pieces for specific audiences and sectors. The newer visualisation features are really easy to use. It's great for keeping on top of the most effective pieces on your own domain. The evergreen score is helpful for considering what works past an initial first burst on social. And they're constantly experimenting, so I've no doubt they'll continue to find clever ways to remain an essential resource for content marketers.

Cons:

The current features give the best sense of content that performs well on social generally. LinkedIn has reduced access - greater insight into what works on that platform would be a big help.

Charles
Industry Analyst, Author and Speaker in US
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Great Research Tool

Comments: Because I publish across a wide range of topics and on several properties that I do not control, this is one of the few ways for me to monitor the effectiveness of my writing and identify emerging trends that should guide my future writing efforts.

Pros:

I love the level of insight you can get on topics and influencers and the ability to monitor your brand, etc. It's an extremely powerful tool that I use on a daily basis.

Cons:

Its power is also it's greatest challenge. It can be difficult to understand how it all works and how to best use it. They have an extensive training library, which is very helpful, but you'll still need to be prepared to put in the time to learn how to use it effectively. I've been using it for months and still consider myself a novice.

Adam
Consultant in Canada
Management Consulting, 11–50 Employees

Awesome Product

Comments: Couldn't be happier. Recommend to colleagues all the time and have no instituted at several companies.

Pros:

Incredibly easy to use, especially for people new to or inexperienced with digital marketing.

Cons:

They recently changed the order columns export to excel, which is kind of annoying.

Ben
Content Marketing Lead in US
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Excellent social and content research tool

Comments: BuzzSumo helps us know what content is trending, find influencers, and uncover unlinked mentions. It can do much more than this, but these use cases alone are enough to make it worthwhile.

Pros:

I feel that the obvious benefits of a tool like BuzzSumo (finding relevant influencers and trending content) are well-known and well-documented. One perhaps overlooked feature though is the ability to automate uncovering unlinked brand mentions around the web. This has helped us secure some powerful links in the past. Overall, BuzzSumo does what it says it will, and does it well.

Cons:

There aren't many cons with BuzzSumo that I can think of. There hasn't been a time where I needed to use it for something and couldn't get it done easily enough.

Marketing Executive in UK
Financial Services, 10,000+ Employees

Powerful content insights tool

Comments: BuzzSumo is my first port of call for laying the foundations of a content strategy. The breadth of features available help paint a picture of what our audiences want, what our competitors are publishing, as well as influencers we can source to help promote our content.

Pros:

Extremely powerful tool for gathering insights on publication volumes and social engagement of content. The team recently launched a keyword tool which, by my accounts, is the only tool available to map content publication vs search popularity.

Cons:

Insight into social engagement is limited to Facebook, Twitter and Reddit. Insights into LinkedIn engagement would be particularly helpful from a B2B perspective.

Charlotte
Media Analyst in UK
Market Research, 11–50 Employees

Great Analysis Tool

Comments: As previously mentioned - the Facebook capabilities is a major pro for this tool! All whilst keeping in GDPR guidelines :-)

Pros:

The tool itself allows for a quick insight into the performance of articles on social media - including Facebook which not many social listening tools can provide. It also allows you to deep dive into the drivers of Facebook engagement if published on a public page - super handy!

Cons:

It’s chinese and kanji Japanese detecting capabilities are sometimes not accurate unfortunately. You also can’t filter by US accurately as it uses the (.us) filter domain - so manual filtering has to sometimes be done.

Damini
Marketing in India
Marketing & Advertising, 51–200 Employees

A value add to social media activities

Comments: Overall experience was good. Did not use a lot of features but whatever i used got some ROI

Pros:

I used BuzzSumo for 18 months for a client. Just love the influencer feature it provides that lists all the twitter influencers on a particular topic with their followers info. Very helpful for influencer marketing.

Cons:

I am not sure if instagram influencers are available on the tool, now. But it would be very helpful for e-commerce brands to get that kind of list and invest in right influencers.

Chip
Managing Partner in US
Management Consulting, 2–10 Employees

BuzzSumo keeps us smart

Comments: As a business that assists its clients by keeping a pulse on what's happening, BuzzSumo has been our best solution for aggregating information smartly.

Pros:

I enjoy that this service integrates articles, blogs, social posts, infographs and more. The search functionality lets you then discover a multitude of insights that pertains to the topic you're seeking information on.

Cons:

There are times when I want to search for topics and I'm limited to pre-established configurations, but the pros outweigh this sporadic con.

Marketing & Advertising, 201–500 Employees

Great for finding influencers

Pros:

I love using BuzzSumo to find influencers that are great in my target market. You can use different hashtags and ways to find people who are posting about what your brand represents. This is a great way to find and communicate with new influencers and track a posts progress throughout its lifespan.

Cons:

I don't like how the different tiered pricing works because you need to purchase the highest one to get the full benefits of this software

Head of SEO in UK
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Indispensible for Content Marketing idea generation

Comments: Were using Buzzsumo to identify content that has resonated with people in order to spot topics to create content around. It's an indispensible tool for this.

Pros:

Makes identifying popular content a doddle.

Cons:

Not as easy to hone in on content that is popular in terms of links rather than social engagement.

Gerald
Gerald
Digital Manager in Singapore
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Useful but needs more improvement

Comments: Overall, the usage experience has been positive but would need more justification for me to invest long term in this tool

Pros:

Depending on the topic and task at hand, Buzzsumo can be a rather useful tool to get you some great content ideas. Used it a couple of times to get ideas of headlines and content ideas

Cons:

I feel that the cheapest option should be way cheaper than $99, considering this tier is really quite basic.

Allison
Digital Communications Manager in US
Public Relations & Communications, 11–50 Employees

It does what we need it to!

Pros:

Great for social tracking, determining potential new influencers in our space

Cons:

Can be a little heavy, has a lot of features we dont use or need, which can make it not worth the effort sometimes.

Ben
Senior Expert Digital Media in Germany
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Awesome tool if you have to generate new content on a regular basis

Pros:

+ good usability + good support + love the ability to filter

Cons:

- i sometimes experience problems with the export - would love to have a broader data base