Microsoft Excel Reviews

4.8 (17,151) Write a Review!

About Microsoft Excel

Data analysis solution that helps businesses manage spreadsheets, create graphs/charts, perform calculations, share projects, and more.

Learn more about Microsoft Excel

Pros:

It's versatile functionality and data handling is best in class. It's online help and a huge user community makes it easy to learn and collaborate.

Cons:

1 year later, I found out I had to pay year after year. I was very disappointed that I had been deceived.

Microsoft Excel ratings

4.3
4.3
4.7
4.6

9.1/10

Microsoft Excel has an overall rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars based on 17,151 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Microsoft Excel before?

Filter reviews (17,151)

Raj
Raj
DGM Marketing in India
Mining & Metals, 1,001-5,000 Employees

You’ve got the most powerful spreadsheet software!

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Excel offers a lot of spreadsheet fun for both novice and professionals, but it has provided us with more than we can chew. You must train yourself heavily to use every feature it provides.

Pros:

1. Microsoft Excel has been a flagship software of the company for ages. It has been growing every year and has always been coming up with newer and newer features. There is a common saying that you can never learn everything in excel because it comes with another significant update when you get to know everything. 2. Besides basic spreadsheet features, Excel boasts a host of valuable tools. For instance, the Formulas tool is too exhaustive and includes ready-made formulas for almost every function, including mathematical, statistical, logical, financial, date, time, and whatnot. 3. Data tools are a game changer for this beautiful piece of software. Twist and tweak your data to come up with many interpretations automatically. Subtotals, text to columns, filter, auto sum, queries, sorting, validation, and what-if analysis are some of the most important ways you can analyze your data. 4. The review tab lets you work with your team for proofing, lookup, translation, commenting, protecting, etc. 5. Insert tab is also quite powerful with functions like pivot tables, charts, 3D maps, slicer, timeline, etc. 6. You can change views to fit your need – like side-by-side scrolls, split, hide, auto arrange, page break preview, zoom, workbook views, etc. 7. The Macro feature is so extensive that it hides a complete programming tool like Visual basic to control Excel’s repetitive tasks, design your software to analyze data, query databases, or develop dashboards. 8. Help tool is a storeho

Cons:

1. The Help tool almost always uses the internet to explain things. There should be some information that should always be available offline. Even for simple issues, you need internet connectivity. 2. Since you need to learn a lot to use Excel, it would be helpful to have simple-to-understand training material. Just like maths, some students still fear Excel because they lack proper training. 3. The latest Excel versions are highly dependent on the internet. Poor connectivity may spoil your real excel experience. Sometimes, you must wait for updates to finish to start using Excel. 4. There are some compatibility issues with the previous versions. You may face awkward situations if your file is saved in the latest version and you cannot edit it in prior versions. 5. The online User Support facility needs to be more responsive.

Dennis
Freelancer in Kenya
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Microsoft Excel is the best for data entry

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: I've been working with it day to day in my last occupation as a statistical surveying examiner. I had my lord calculation sheet, with more than 30 sheets inside, all that efficient, and fundamentally at the start of every day, I opened the calculation sheet and didn't close it until I leave work. I utilized for the most part fundamental numerical and measurable usefulness, and I now and again made charts for week-by-week group gatherings. Feeling sure with the product, I have no question it will help me a ton in my new position too.
It's been some time since I worked with MS Excel routinely. Sufficiently sure, I utilized it frequently at school, for fundamental estimations and to make represented diagrams for school introductions. I think it is extraordinary programming, truly natural, and simple to utilize, on the grounds that it has comparative UI as different projects from Microsoft, for example, MS Word, which I am utilizing all the more often. To summarize it, I might require a little while to clean my abilities with MS Excel, to review either usefulness. Yet, I won't battle working with it in the gig, that is without a doubt.
All things considered, I've been working generally with Open Office, which is a free option in contrast to MS Office. I couldn't say whether you have some involvement in Calc from Open Office, however the UI and usefulness are practically indistinguishable from MS Excel. That is the reason I am genuinely sure to deal with exactly the same thin

Pros:

1. Easy to use and user-friendly. 2. Performs Calculations 3. Good for data visualization 4. Presence of developer tab for development purposes using VBA.

Cons:

1. It is unsuitable for agile business practices. 2. It is hard to make clear decisions while using it.

Ted
Content Manager in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 Employees

Excel is not excellent

3.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: I try to avoid using Microsoft Excel as often as I can and go to something like Google Sheets, or better, Airtable. Google Sheets isn't perfect either, but there are so many things that Google has made very intuitive compared to Excel.

Pros:

I like that a lot of people do use Excel and there are usually a lot of tutorials about it when I'm needing help with a certain equation, etc. It has a lot of capabilities and I know I have not come close to tapping its full potential.

Cons:

I think Excel is very slow, especially compared to a solution like Google Sheets. Additionally, Sheets is much easier to use, more intuitive. Excel is often buggy, needs refreshing often (for the online version), is clunky and sluggish when trying to input data more quickly (even the local version is often slow).

Ajit Johnson
Instructor of Medicine in US
Biotechnology, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Excel: The Best Way to Organize Your Data

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: I have had a positive experience with Microsoft Excel. It is a powerful tool that has helped me to be more efficient and organized in my work. I have used it to create spreadsheets, track data, and perform various calculations. It is user-friendly and has multiple features that make it a valuable tool for anyone who needs to work with a small amount of data.

Pros:

I use Excel almost on a daily basis. I like many things about it, but some of my favorite features are the ability to quickly create charts and graphs and the ability to perform quick calculations. I also like the fact that Excel is very user-friendly and with advanced features that are easy to learn.

Cons:

Sometimes the auto-formatting can be disadvantageous, for example in my case it auto-formats "Gene Names" into dates.

Roy
Data analyst in UK
Financial Services, 11-50 Employees

The original classic that just keeps getting better

5.0 last month New

Comments: Combing multiple spreadsheets from many sources using power query is so easy and fast.

Pros:

Ease of use, great help, so many uses. Genuinely love the prompts when keying complex formulas.

Cons:

When Microsoft update they often move menu options, which can be a little confusing!

Lashondra
Self Employed in US
Utilities, Self Employed

Microsoft Excel Just For Me

5.0 last month New

Comments: It took me some time I had to go back and read some parts twice but I would not trade fore the world

Pros:

This program is customer friendly it explain the step by step learning it makes thing easier to understand I am a hands on person but dealing with my Microsoft Excel program was a thing I could do with no help .

Cons:

I have nothing that I liked least about this program. It helps in many ways I felt like a dummy before I got this program and if I can learn and master from it I know others will to .

Shari
Shari
Management Consultant Lead in Jamaica
Consumer Services, 5,001-10,000 Employees

The Greatest Spreadsheet App

5.0 last month New

Pros:

This software, although very technical, is so easy to use and work on for an unskilled person like myself. It seems so daunting to figure out how to create the perfect spreadsheet for your data, but the hints and templates that come with the program make it almost simple. Our managers incorporate it into almost every form of documentation we require and its so easy to access the files from our cloud drives to make changes. If its a document that should not be edited, it's a quick fix to turn off the editing options. Your files can be set to be shared with only a specific set of people, and certain sections of a sheet can also be set to be un-editable by those people. Personally, I use excel for things as simple as tracking my guinea pigs' weight, to things as complex as tracking and creating my future expected work shifts and expected income. For work it can be used for quality assurance scoring and progress tracking.

Cons:

The only thing to dislike is how many shortcuts there are to complete simple tasks but there's no way to easily figure them out unless you spend dedicated time on videos and tutorials to learn them all. But I don't hold that against Excel, its that dedication which separates people like me from the people who are skilled in Excel.

Neel
Neel
Finance in India
Education Management, 501-1,000 Employees

Not enough words for this softwares

5.0 last month New

Pros:

Cheap, super easy to use and a life saver!

Cons:

Nothing! The software, especially the 2019 version is perfect.

Bruno
Bruno
Ingeniero electromecanico in Peru
Industrial Automation, 2-10 Employees

A great software to perform your business calculations

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: With this software we are making a good inventory of the products of our company and our clients. The benefits that this software offers me save me time and money.

Pros:

This software offers you a complete spreadsheet where you can carry out all your operations to keep good accounting in your company. The software is excellent, it is very complete and gives you everything you need to perform your calculations. The software is easy to use and with a few classes you can learn what you need to get started. His integration into the company was easy and very important as he is now very essential to the company.

Cons:

Personally and in my experience, the software is very complete, since it offers you to save time, at the moment it is going very well that it does not need any improvement feature. Really the aspects of the product are easy to use as long as you take some previous classes to be able to apply the formulas in spreadsheets, but it's a quick thing to learn over time. Integration into our business processes was not difficult, as we had prior knowledge of the software.

Imi
Imi
CIO in Trinidad & Tobago
Government Administration, 5,001-10,000 Employees

Excel is a boss and with Office365, it is a boss squared.

5.0 last month New

Comments: As a business data analysis, it is my go to tool for the organization easy to use ( when you becoming proficient) and this brings the organization into life.

Pros:

Excel has many features that excites the productivity and data use.. however, many of these features are available in other packages. However, given the collaborative and interactive platform this feature create a very more robust and timely platform to allow excel to perform across the organization in a more collaborative environment. Excel has been my tool for data analysis with some additional packages and add ons, but I must say biggest pro at this time is based on the features for sharing which is provided with Office365.

Cons:

Cost and Microsoft pricing for tool are being coming a real big challenge for the organization specifically as the tool such as Excel is not sold separately you have to buy office, and even if you use only excel your invest in the other tools just sits on the shelf.

Eddie
CEO in US
E-Learning, 2-10 Employees

Improved substantially over time, still challenging for collaboration

Comments: Overall positive in it's ability to run locally with the most robust features, but in an era where collaboration must happen in real time on the Cloud, it has been frustrating to collaborate. Most fully featured platform though.

Pros:

Most robust spreadsheet platform that has the most comprehensive amount of formulas, graphics, pivot tables, and just technical features, runs locally so if you're on the airplane you can still run everything.

Cons:

Weak on Cloud and collaboration. You have to log out of the platform for a teammate to make edits. Since team members don't get to work on the project at the same time huge efficiency is lost as some teammates just have to wait until it's their turn whereas Google Sheets you can operate everything at the same time.

Mohammed
Tech. Manager and Software Arch in Jordan

The key source for producing spreadsheets and manipulating them mathematically and statistically.

Comments: Lots and lots of things that have helped us and continue to help us with MS Excel every day, as all the tables are prepared by it, and then they are exported to other programs, as the ease with which data is entered into MS Excel is not available in other applications. Add to that the amount of arithmetic, statistical and graphic operations that are accomplished through it every day.

Pros:

MS Excel is one of the most important tools I deal with on a daily basis and I can never do without it. In fact, I cannot list all the things I love about MS Excel, as the numbers that are entered into the cells on the page, enable you to perform many, many arithmetic operations and create graphs of various kinds. I like the smoothness with which all of this is done, so that data is entered easily, tables are prepared and formatted, and the required calculations are performed, as well as preparing it all for printing or sharing. I like how it integrates with most applications and how it gives you multiple options to save that data so that you can export it to the application you need. I also like the formatting options for graphs so that you can form the desired graphic as you wish, I also like the copy and paste options with the rest of the Office programs, and also the multiple paste options, which can be an image, so that it is easy to insert and coordinate with the rest of the content on the Word page, for example. As for the calculations, it is almost inclusive of everything, from the simple to the complex. Add to this the many videos and educational materials that Microsoft provides to enable users to achieve a greater understanding of how to perform these operations correctly.

Cons:

Nothing is mentioned at all, as everything related to numbers, arithmetic operations and their related matters is available in MS Excel, and you cannot find a tool that can compete with it or be able to achieve the same quality of services that you get with MS Excel.

Gábor
IT Consultant in Hungary

A software in need is a software indeed

Comments: I live in and writing this review from Hungary, yet I am sure in other nations as well, MS Excel and Office tools are the leaders, but not the only sw. used to deal with a table file, in Hungary we do not even call them "documents", "table files", simply refer to them as "Excel" that is how big impact this program has made on our life. MS Excel is on the market around for nearly 40 years, one of the most widely-can-be-used sw. on the market and I think is the best. Happy to have it, personally I am utilizing Office kit from my elementary school days and will in the future. Yes, there are some rivals to MS Excel, yet it is still the uncrown king. You may give a try to its rivals, there are free and paid versions too, so as online version are available.

Pros:

Tons of educational stuff, examples, tricks, cheat sheets, "homework" like tasks are available. You may get it for free, if you are a student, genuine activation keys for a nominal price can be found in the net, yet can be used with a Microsoft account for free (limitations, less feature are obviously there), with great functionality. MS Excel is widely-known I reckon in the planet and used by numerous governments, also in Hungary. In the governmental entities, employees, officers use Office software daily, so it is thought until and even after the uni. Companies, literally in every-single sector utilizing Excel (or Excel-like sw.) daily. The features MS Excel a bit too enormous for one single user, simply not all the functions, and capabilities can be known. Small companies like mine, has an Excel for everything, follow up on the expenses, make statistics, handle a table of contracts and important info in them, instead of a CRM, export reports data into, plan the sw. development activities there, embed file in Excels, put pictures in, track daily activities, even you may have excel with VB knowledge to create new files with macros, you can make more filtering, read-write data, manipulate other Excel documents and so on. Also an important feature, you can lock you sheets, your workbook with a password, so as you can protect your Excel Visual Basic codes. During your private life, Excel will be your help to do your tasks. 3rd party add-ons are available.

Cons:

You have the possibility to share a workbook and simultaneously edit it with others, if the doc. saved to an on-line store, you can edit it on-line or on your on-premise, these function needs to be developed furthermore, sometimes not that smooth, incompatibly due to these versions, loss of functions, occur. Writing a program to use other docs. data can be not that smooth at first, its programming language VB could be better. You can crack the Excel workbook password protection if you check it on the web. Bugs can appear, like resetting a font to the "inherited" one, not showing the result but instead of the formula, not properly loading a different time and language zone created Excel according your settings, showing English formulas instead your own language. Excel also tends to bet slow or even crash when you supply it too much data (but like Power Query, Power Pivot and other, newly introduced "tools" aiming to make these better). Consuming RAM, hard drive could be better. On the IOS, Android apps world, Excel I am not sure the best, nor the leader (as MS got aware this "market" a bit later). When moving from away from your "initial" network or VPN to a different one, it tends to not be able to save your work or give you dialog boxes to re-save your work or overwrite the existing file. Conversion between other text file types, data inputs, reading, opening, editing inherited data, handling dates, are some points Excel can give you hard times.

Talha
M.Phill Scholar in Pakistan
Higher Education, 501-1,000 Employees

Microsoft Excel, the time tested Jack of all Trades spreadsheet.

Comments: MS Excel is the most popular and widely uses spreadsheet processor. I love it for its simple interface and the variety of fictions and features that it offers with extreme ease of use.

Pros:

Microsoft Excel is a very flexible software and has thus offers something for every user. Whether you want to build simple overviews or tabulate massive data, carry out a simple calculation or perform complex calculations and basic analytics. Its ability to make a solution richer in terms of features is amazing along with its ever evolving graphics and inclusion of smart algorithms that minimize you work by being more predictive. Its collection of templates is also very useful in providing idea to choose a style for your data presentation. Also its ability to rotate, merge and export tabels and cells and coloring them adds to its ease of use. Apart from these, it easily integrates will all major presentation software.

Cons:

Although it is a very good software, but it still has sme room for improvement like including collaboration tools for online group work. Also, it does not work as a database software, which is something, if added will further increase its productivity much more.

Thuffail
Thuffail
Engineer in Sri Lanka
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 51-200 Employees

Data Analysis and Representation

Comments: I have been using Excel for more than 15 years. The functions and support Excel provides have been improved throughout the years.

Pros:

This is a basic software for data analysis and representation. Excel can handle thousands of data sets at one time and it is the best software for creation of spread sheets for data storage. Excel is taught to children all over the world at a young age. This software is popular in most of the small to medium size businesses and organizations. The software can used to perform basic to midlevel computations on the quantitative data. This computations can also be represented as bar charts ,pie charts , line charts etc in the same spread sheet. Also another commonly created chart is pareto chart depicting 80: 20 rule in management. It provides support to write ones own formulas. It also provides built in formulas which have been developed and improved throughout the years. These built in formulas are easy to use and understand as they referred by the commonly used names of the relevant computations. Excel is compatible with other complex data analysis software. As a result Excel can be used as a data storage tool be used by advanced data analysis applications. The creation of pivot tables will help in viewing only a part of data at a time. Also columns and rows of a table can be easily switched using pivot tables. The functions such as Vlookup will help in retrieving specific type of data from a table. The data of spread sheets can be easily organized using sort and filter functions. It is not a complex software for data analyzing.

Cons:

When sorting, filtering or analyzing large sets of data Excel may be inefficient. The interface provides limited customizable features. The basic features and functions can be learned quickly, however the learning of advanced functionalities is time consuming. It is hard to use and analyze data using a mobile and Excel is generally known as a desktop software. There is more scope for the improvement of Excel however more improvements will make the software more complex.

Debbie
Marketing Consultant in Israel
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Excel is Excellent for Non-Power Users, Too!

Comments: I don't need any of the advanced capabilities like Pivot Tables, VLOOKUP, Macros or VBA but I know that I can learn those if and when I need to. Overall, my experience with Excel has been extremely positive. It keeps me on-track, allows me to do some simple but effective number-crunching and even (with an add-on) allows me to design flowcharts within the program. I like that I can share what I'm doing with colleagues and clients. That's a huge advantage and time-saver. All in all, I highly recommend Excel - even for those of us who don't need all the power it potentially provides. It's great for us as well.

Pros:

When I first started using Excel I was concerned that it would be too complicated for my needs. I needn't have worried. It turns out that Excel is easy to learn and use, even for non-power users. I often use it as a simple database for keeping track of courses I signed up for and need to complete, books I need to read, my ongoing expenses, budgeting and more. I have also started using Excel more in my business - for planning my content and keeping track of where it appears and what the results have been. Again, simple to set up but a major improvement as far as keeping me on track and productive in my business. It's really easy to set up and I can style each worksheet to meet my needs. It's also easy to get specific help when I get stuck because there are just so many sources of information online. I usually start off with a template, and that's another reason I like Excel so much. I don't need to start from scratch - someone has usually made a relevant template available for downloading which I can then adapt for my own purposes. It's so much quicker to work that way.

Cons:

I do sometimes feel overwhelmed by all the options, and sometimes it's difficult for me to find the exact item in the menu that I need to access. However, I do eventually get there, and then that's one more thing that I've mastered in Excel.

Madhura
Madhura
Finance and Accounts Manager in United Arab Emirates
Accounting, 11-50 Employees

Best Product Ever

Comments: Excel is my bread and butter. From simple addition-subtraction formulas, I have grown to creating Macros, Pivots in Excel. Excel is an integral part of my life as an accountant. I use it to manage accounts of a very small business firm instead of an ERP. Despite of using this for so many years, there is so much to learn and I keep finding new formulas on Tiktok or Instagram daily.

Pros:

Being an accountant, this is the first software in office I learnt to use. I have been using this for more than 13 years now. I love the formulas so much, they make our lives easier and makes using this software so much quicker. Best software for reporting numbers in tabular form and shows accurate details of figures. The entire application can be run on a keyboard if you know the formulas.

Cons:

There are too many formulas to remember, not a con exactly but it can be frustrating when you don't remember/find formula for the work you want to do. Difficult to work on excel with another colleague as it is offline and if I save it as sheets the format changes. If the offline file is corrupted, there is no way to recover it.

Nicholas
Nicholas
IT Manager in US
Education Management, 51-200 Employees

The Go-To is still the most capable

Comments: I enjoy using and learning more about Excel. There are so many ways in which to use it that no review can truly capture the breadth and depth of its capability. When it is frustrating it is because of an inability of process or lack of me as a user being able to achieve what i know to be possible and thus I approach it as a puzzle to be unpacked.

Pros:

Excel is a versatile spreadsheet application that continues to benefit from its age, the weight and momentum behind it, and the continued focus on it as core Office app. The variety of applications of this application are what continue make it a winner.

Cons:

Stemming from the same positive attributes of its age and flexibility are the downsides to its age and flexibility - its overlapping years of feature additions and subtractions to the building more on top of pre-existing structures mean that somethings need to be unpacked in order to work how you'd like them too and the robustness of the product can be daunting. Knowing that you'll never know ALL that it is capable of and that the best way to achieve anything is to picture it and then hunker down for an evening of searching and learning.

Dharmendra Alex
Dharmendra Alex
Manager Cyber Security in Solomon Islands
Telecommunications, 201-500 Employees

Honest Microsoft Excel Review 2021

Comments: Excel is the most versatile piece of software I have ever worked with. Its is actually an ingénues product as it can adapt to any profession you could ever think about. In my case, I've worked with excel since I was in Uni working on project management talks, then even in my previous role as a Network Engineer, I use Excel to keep track of Network assets as well as IP allocations and range management. Currently as a manager of cyber security I still use excel to analysis computer generated CSV files which I then provide reports on. Overall, I can testify the Excel would help you regardless of the work you are doing, it is so versatile that it would be able to make your work easier and help you be more productive in whatever task you may encounter.

Pros:

The biggest pros for me is that in a given day ,you can deal with hundreds or even thousands of data categories and organize them with MS Excel. It helps us compare, sort, calculate, and do a variety of other things in our everyday job routine. As an example, I use the program on a daily basis since my job requires a lot of data sorting and analysis. Also, when using an application like MS Excel, you can do these operations in under an hour, when using typical documentation tools would take weeks or even close to impossible to complete the same job.

Cons:

In fact, its most significant benefit is also its most significant drawback. Because as mentioned in the pros, the software can do virtually unlimited tasks which would help you, but this also makes it somewhat challenging for new users with less computer experience, having a software which can do almost anything also make it even harder to grasp and work fluently with.  Overall, to be honest, there isn't anything about the program that I don't like, because I use it every day and have never had any issues with a feature or having a glitch.

Rida
Rida
Quality Management System Coordinator in Pakistan
Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 Employees

Microsoft Excel - A versatile Software

Comments: MS Excel is overall a very great tool. I have been using this software for the past six years. It helped throughout my academic period, and I would give main credit to this software as it made my life easier. I would highly recommend this software to the youngster, and I would suggest they watch beginner videos of this software on youtube.

Pros:

Excel has entirely different features, and it eventually substitutes some manual procedures like calculating on excel sheets are much simpler and safer than calculating manually. It helps me in managing my data and keeps my records on a day today. There are a lot of facilities through which I can perform multitasking through this software. I can work on two or multiple sheets at the same time. Functions like SUM, AVERAGE, COUNT, MIN, MAX, and many others have played a vital role in saving time and making work more efficient. In short, MS Excel is a versatile software.

Cons:

Excel needs a user with proper knowledge about its features and tools. Initially, I could not make the most use of Excel because of a lack of knowledge about the tools and not being familiar with its features, so the process of doing and completing the task was much more complex and sophisticated for me. So at first, it could be a little difficult for the beginners.

Ajinkya (AJ)
Ajinkya (AJ)
Structural Engineer in US
Civil Engineering, 51-200 Employees

Microsoft Excel always excels!!

Comments: I have been using Microsoft Excel for the last 10 years, and this software has never ceased to amaze me by the amount of features it has packed into it. I started using it as a student when completing my Civil Engineering degree, then used it even more when I was working as a structural engineer, used it again when doing my masters and using it even now when working as an engineer again - on a daily basis!! Through all these stages I have found new features, explored them and realized them to be so useful in simplifying my day to day work. As an engineer I have to perform complicated calculations, manage huge amount of data, present that data to clients for them to make sense of it, and Excel is a one stop solution for that. I realize that even after over a decade of use, I have managed to merely scratch the surface. There were times when I thought I wish Excel had this feature, and if I made the effort to check it online it shows up that the software had that particular feature all along. Add to that the option of programming Macro's by writing a code of merely recording steps that I do repeatedly, it just reduces the tedious jobs of a 100 steps to a click of the button. Its so easy. Moreover, it has been a part of the Microsoft Office suite and thus its easily accessible to the masses. Add to that having the online Microsoft 365 functionality, with OneDrive, you can access Excel and your work from anywhere around the globe. I definitely recommend learning this software.

Pros:

I have been using the software for over a decade and I have come to just love the following features. 1. Formulas - You can find over 100s of formulas to apply within the software, to give you the necessary output. They have been conveniently sorted into groups like Logical, Text, Lookup, Math & Trigonometry. I have come to use the HLOOKUP, VLOOKUP, MATCH, INDEX, the Logical formulas and the trigonometry formulas a lot owing to the nature of my work. Another neat feature is the use of definition. This makes it easier to define a cell to have a specific name and then refer that name in the formula. That way when I click on a cell to see the formula I can clearly understand the formula based on the variable name, instead of referring the cells. 2. Under the Data tab, I love the Text to Column function along with the What If analysis. Text to Column helps me separate a string of text into different columns based on a specific character like a letter or symbol. The most used feature of What If is the Goal Seek function wherein I can find set a cell to a target value and then tell excel to change a variable to get the target value. 3. The Excel graphs are so intuitive. You just select the data and make a graph out it, its that simple. And the variety of plots and graphs available is astounding. Really helps in data visualization in presentations. 4.Macros - It really helps in productivity as I can have a Macro programming do the tedious work for me with just a click of a button.

Cons:

There is hardly anything that I would criticize about the software. Since even today I am still understanding the load of features and functions it has to offer. However, if I talk about the thing I like the least is how the formulas are presented. Since I am structural engineer I have to present design calculations, and I use PTC Mathcad and Microsoft Excel interchangeably based on my need. Mathcad has this beautiful way of presenting the calculations, because its made for that. However, I would love to see that feature make its way in Excel as well. Wherein I can have a line output the applied formula complete with Greek Symbols without having to painstakingly embed a formula, which again works just as a visual aid but does not actually calculate any value. It would be neat feature to have. Moreover, on the rare occasion that Excel crashes and my work saved on a Local Drive is lost, Excel gives me the opportunity to restore that work. But its not always easy to select the file I want to save. Sometimes the data is different, the files shows that its a more recent one but the data within the file shows otherwise. Those are the only two things which I don't like.

Neeraj
Neeraj
Recruiter in India
Staffing & Recruiting, 2-10 Employees

Best Microsoft Tool for Data Management

Comments: I am preparing data using the tables for presentations and for easy handling and access. The formulas provided and their functions help us to ensure that our results are upto the point. Mostly I love to use the Pivot table, as they create a relationship between the various sets of data that I am using. The shortcuts provided by Microsoft Excel helps the user to enter the data in easy way. I work with lots of worksheets at daily basis. It allows me to provide data to my team to create different forms of it for monthly and weekly reports for our clients.

Pros:

It has wide and amazing features to implement over the work. Most important of all is Conditional formatting and Pivot tables which are mostly used in data management and data sorting. Print Optimisation and Absolute references are also used in managing the cells. Product is quite easy to use as you know the work and implementation of the tools and features and anyone can work over it whether he is a beginner or proficient. I had to work with the spreadsheets for managing the client data and sorting them according to the requirements. So, the best solution for my work was to use excel and it helped us and my organization a lot. The performance of this tool was totally mind-blowing.

Cons:

Yes, sometimes I feel that there are some certain features that are missing like there is no protection feature for cell, workbook or sheet protection. No links to other spreadsheets are provided at all, you can rotate the text and no checkboxes are given. Apart from that, there are some features that are difficult even for daily users like Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), most of the users struggles in it. Macros and Automation is also somewhere difficult in some areas. But with my business, it was not difficult at all to maintain all this as we were trained at it and we have to use only some specific features for the data management. Overall experience is great.

Ankit
Ankit
Customer Success Executive in India

This is my thing...!! Excel is more than anything...!!

Comments: I have been working daily over it in my last job of Customer Success Executive. Most of the work was related to data handling and data validation. I have to maintain and sort the data as per the reports were arranged in such formats assigned to us and they required all the Excel's statistical and mathematical formulas. Apart from that, I also creates different graphs and charts for weekly and monthly office and client meetings. Also need to create daily client reports containing only the data arrangement and pie charts over it. I always had a group of sheets and I need to arrange them throughout the day using almost all the tools of Excel.

Pros:

The most impactful features according to me are pivoting of the table, sorting of the tabulated data and adding formulas to the sheet and calculating large data. Apart from this, there are many other features like VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, CONCATENATE, etc. From all the above things I can say proudly that this tool is very easy to use and understand. Any new user can learn all the basic and advanced functions of it within a short span of time. My organization were using all the above features and also more, as we were managing data and sheets containing much confidential data of our very important clients. We use sorting and validation features and also the password protection to make secure the sheets. Also, using it for isolate variable data area and exception reporting with Conditional formatting.

Cons:

As overall this is a great tool, but somehow some features which are needed at some point of time are missing and needs to be brought up by vendor like you cannot create or edit named ranges, no cell notes, no macro support, no links to other spreadsheets and no solver or other add-ins. By regular use, it is a very easy tool but for beginners it becomes difficult sometimes to understand to use the Conditional formatting, Pivot Tables, Print Optimisation, VLOOKUP, etc. My organization was not facing any kind of difficulty as all were trained good for using excel as it was very important part of our daily job routine. So, overall the experience was good using this tool.

Ayoub
Freelancer in Morocco
Computer Software, Self Employed

The tool that makes management EASIER

Comments: Regarding this advanced management tool, I admit that it allows to manage the IT flows of the different transactions within an organization, it was able to revolutionize initially the industrial world as well as develop the Supply Chain Management of different companies.
Personally, I was able to carry out initially several management tables whether for the stock, for the vehicle fleets (maintenance, fuel ... etc).
And then I started to realize optimization models based on Operational Research.
And finally, I ended up using the developer section (Visual Basic) in order to be able to automate the various tables produced, keep the flow traceable as well as avoid the typing errors that can happen.

Pros:

In my opinion, there are 3 main advantages for excel users: 1)Progressed Data Organization : Dominate has quite possibly the absolute most complete datum association and investigation frameworks for the normal customer. All things considered, it works for most business applications as well. Utilizing the force of your PC, Excel can undoubtedly deal with a great many information recipes and additionally calculations rather consistently. In the event that you have numerous sheets which are interlinked, the equations and information association are unmatched. 2)Underlying Formulas : Before, Excel had recipes for pretty much every application under the sun. In that capacity, clients quickly fell head over heels for the straightforwardness of the attachment and-play interface as it assisted them with making delightful accounting pages in the blink of an eye. Throughout the long term, Excel has reliably added more implicit recipes as clients have mentioned. Obviously, these recipes are not restrictive, as they are only numerical of configuration, which means these equations could be utilized in other programming stages as well. 3)Outsider Support Lastly, Excel can work with outsider projects through particular connectors. Since Excel is based on the .NET stage, it coordinates well with nearly whatever is based on a similar stage. Accordingly, admittance to information or potentially other programming stages has expanded massively throughout the lon

Cons:

Despite these advantages, there are 3 major desadvantages 1)Steep Expectation to learn and adapt : Excel is a genuinely muddled framework. To utilize it productively, you must have the option to explore through the UI which is considerably more convoluted than in its unique plan. In past plans, clients had the option to simply point and click and assembled lovely bookkeeping pages. In any case, Microsoft has added a plenty of provisions throughout the long term that now I must be gotten to through different scenes or potentially dropdowns. Doing this has made a smidgen of disarray and even eliminate a few components that individuals were content with. 2)Cost : Microsoft Office and Dominate had never been free, however the cost was significantly more sensible before. As Microsoft has kept on investing huge loads of time and energy into their Office suite, the expenses have risen significantly. Before, you could buy the product for as modest as $19.95 each year; that essentially isn't the case any longer. Presently, the expense can undoubtedly overshadow $45.99 each year for a downloadable duplicate and $99.99 for a cloud-based contribution. While this isn't heinous, it is cost-restrictive for an office brimming with PCs. Restricted Joint effort: Completing out the impediments for Dominate, it's anything but a community oriented framework (essentially not innately). Microsoft w

Real Estate Agent in US
Real Estate, Self Employed

The Best Spreadsheet Software Out There!

Comments: While Microsoft Excel has been getting more expensive over the years, especially in comparison to its free competitors, it remains the most powerful, most prestigious spreadsheet tool out there. Especially for larger, more formal clients, the ability to share cross-device-compatible spreadsheets with a standardized level of quality and compatibility is a huge plus. However, because of the cost, I am looking to move away from the program.

Pros:

Microsoft Excel is the absolute golden standard of spreadsheet software. It has every functionality I have ever needed, and then some! Every other software that is for similar usage tries to emulate this one. It is usable on every device, online and offline, and is fantastic for all of my business and personal needs.

Cons:

Out of all of the software programs that focus on spreadsheet functions, Microsoft Excel is absolutely the highest priced. Because of that, I have been using it less and less and recommend that my budget-conscious colleagues save money and go with a free alternative that has fewer features but does everything they need. For the most part, Microsoft Excel is a way more powerful tool than I need for everyday use, so it seems to be a waste to pay that much for the possibility of using those special functions rather than for their actual use.