• Overall
    4.3/5
    4.2/5
    3.4/5

About WhiteSmoke

Checks for advanced grammar, spelling and style mistakes. WhiteSmoke is used by businesses worldwide for proper online communication.

Learn more about WhiteSmoke

John M.
Regional Vallue Engineering
Civil Engineering, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 01/02/2019

"Power grammar and editing software"

Comments: I would totally be a loss without WhiteSmoke. Even when I'm not using it strictly professional. I use it to make sure that my casual writing is up-to-par.

Pros: The functionality of the software, which allows you to check on your overall grammar:subject verb agreement, readability of our document and the quick response to your grammar checks.

Cons: It is hard to pinpoint anything that I don't like, because it fills my need by enabling me to check a document as I write, also it allows me to the opportunity to accept certain changes that make the document correct and well as its readability.

Timmy T.
Software Developer
Computer Software, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/08/2020

"Customizable Grammar and spelling software with a sturdy API"

Comments: Whitesmoke runs on each of the reports that field technicians send to managers. The managers then collate their reports and send them to an operational overseer and use Whitesmoke to blend the many types of writing and reporting while removing errors. It results in a quickly-made, yet cohesive, document.

Pros: I love that I am able to very easily add a custom dictionary- we often use words internally that appear like jargon to the spellchecker and can't be counted as part of a complete sentence- rather than wasting time of our managers to correct these errors, we add the abbreviations as words and speed along in reviews.

Cons: Many of the pre-existing "style guides" seem like they are canned responses rather than analyzing the corpus of text and sentence structures that are present in a document that is being reviewed. I had hoped for a more interactive experience on grammar improvement.

by WhiteSmoke on 27/08/2020

Thanks for the feedback Tommy!

• Reviewed on 23/08/2020
Kay B.
Consultant
Hospital & Health Care, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 29/01/2019

"After five years with White Smoke."

Comments: I have not found another product I like better but I do look .... Even after five years using it I would jump in a heartbeat if I found one that I didn't have the grammer problems, and the duplication and deletion issues.

Pros: I like knowing 95% of the time White Smoke finds and corrects my spelling errors.

Cons: It doesn't do a good job of catching the grammatical errors. It also often doubles and triples line of text. Other times it deletes items. It is madding when you have an email only to have White Smoke "bastardize" it so much with it duplication or it deletions that it doesn't look anything like your email at all. On occation it delete my entire email or word document.

Clinton H.
Senior EHS Program Manager
Biotechnology, 10,001+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 01/02/2019

"Excellent, and maintains excellent reputation"

Comments: I have been able to improve my reputation in the organization, especially in the days of reorganization, and this helps me maintain my stature, high reputation.

Pros: Context - I have a learning disability that impacts my english skills when it comes to writing. My employer hired a writing coach, and the sessions resulted in breaking bad habits. However, I have difficulties with the aspects of English grammar and rules. Product - I have been using is for several years, where I am able to reduce the time to craft, and produce reports with confidence. By using it exclusively enabled me to reduce the number of errors, and able to rearrange my thoughts with clarity. Even though I have gain confidence in the written communication, I will always use WhiteSmoke since there has been a need to get the work done in a quicker manner.

Cons: Sometimes in mac IOS, the software crashes, but it is not a big problem.

Dossie h T.
Author, freelance writer
  • Reviewed on 07/02/2019

"Not consistent"

Comments: Overall, it's a good program, but I believe it could be better if you give it a few more tweaks. As I noted above, it will often show errors that aren't there. There also seems to be a problem identifying tenses.

Pros: The most salient feature of WhiteSmoke is a spell check. It's confusing sometimes because it does not always show correctly subject and verb agreement. It's time-consuming, trying to see what's wrong when there's nothing wrong.

Cons: The program will often stop in the middle of reviewing, which is also exasperating. It may be something I am not doing, but I must "call up" the program, using f2, rather than have it visible and available whenever I need it. If you could provide information about that, I'd appreciate it.

• Reviewed on 07/02/2019
Paul D.
Industrial Automation, 2-10 Employees

"A Quick Check"

Comments: Customer relations and appearance.

Pros: My major use of WhiteSmoke is a quick check of emails. I do not regularily prepare lengthy documents, but I do like that I can highlight my writing and do a quick Fn F2 check. I strive for an 8 or better. :) I did a check of this writing.

Cons: Contacting a service tech when I have an issue. When I have a need, I look for an immediate resolution, and hate waiting hours, or days. As a service organization, we rely on prompt service.

Susan S.
Author
  • Reviewed on 31/07/2019

"Excellent Product"

Comments: I've published 3 novels thanks to this program. It helps alleviate my fear of commas. And guarantees I spell words like alleviate correctly. :)

Pros: I love this program and would not be able to function without it.

Cons: I like every feature of this program. It's easy to use and does everything I need it to do.

• Reviewed on 31/07/2019
Teresa K.
Executive Director
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/01/2019

"Great for PC but not as efficient for MAC"

Pros: I like how it is integrated into Outlook. Emails are completed so fast that you sometimes forget to proof. WS reminds you as you hit send.

Cons: That I can not integrate it into my apps as a do on my PC.

Mikhail B.
Assoc Professor
Research, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 08/02/2019

"My WhiteSmoke review"

Pros: F2 button and automatic checks of the emails

Cons: frequent crashes, the paragraphs disappear after you click Apply Changes and you need to spend time to recover the text

• Reviewed on 08/02/2019
Brenda S.
author

"Why I like WhiteSmoke"

Comments: I am an author and I would not turn in my manuscript without a WhiteSmoke check.

Pros: WhiteSmoke found punctuation and mistakes in spelling I made that other spell checkers did not. It gave helpful suggestions on other words to use and pointed out when I used the same word too many times. It also rated my paragraphs. I was not only helpful but made me think.

Cons: It would have saved some time when checking a manuscript if the program would have ignored the paragraphs that did not need to be fixed.

Lindell A.
Retired nikitary
Hospital & Health Care, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/02/2019

"Assessmentmof Whitesmoke"

Pros: It is a quick way to spot mistakes I have made in sending messages.

Cons: Support is slow in responding to my requests.

• Reviewed on 05/02/2019
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/05/2019

"Looks good on paper but on workflow...."

Comments: Close but not quite. It can do a few cool things but still yet to be convinced whether it is necessary compared to alternatives

Pros: It does a lot of different things at a lower price point so worth a looks

Cons: It feels clunky and old. Also, customer service is no great. Made me feel like I was doing something wrong when I changed laptops and tried to reinstall

• Reviewed on 31/05/2019