QuickBooks Desktop Pro Reviews

Filter by:

• Overall

About QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Accounting tool that provides multi-monitor support and past due stamps through improved cash flow.

Learn more about QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Showing 1,298 reviews

Pedro B.
Pedro B.
FreeLancer
  • Reviewed on 12/08/2021

"Best Financial Management System"

Comments: I'm really happy with this tool, it has helped me and saved me a lot of time to collate all the finances and that's great. We don't need to pay counters anymore, because we've really been able to streamline everything with Quickbooks. It's been a great investment.

Pros: I've used several programs that claim to be the best on the market. But I haven't really seen one that compares to QuickBooks. This tool's system is amazing and allows me to organize the management of my finances without any problems or delay. Easy to use and intuitive, everything is well organized for any type of endeavor. I can keep track of my accounts receivable, company accounts and household expenses.
Creating various custom reports for each specific case.
I get hundreds of QuickBooks insights for business improvement. It even gave me a huge use guarantee of 60 days or my money back. The tool has quick and simplified tutorials on how to generate invoices and calculate my taxes. And I'm not even an accountant, I can organize everything in one place, excellent tool.

Cons: I have not encountered problems using this software. So, reviews to report against Quickbooks.

• Reviewed on 12/08/2021
Brenton W.
Bookkeeper
  • Reviewed on 16/09/2021

"QuickBooks Desktop is Fast, Customizable and Easy. Best of the Best."

Comments: The questions most people have is QuickBooks Desktop or QuickBooks Online. As a bookkeeper with multiple clients, it's a no brainer for me, QuickBooks Desktop!!! I refuse to work with QuickBooks Online. QuickBooks Desktop is lightning fast. There are numerous shortcuts with the keyboard that help process the daily routines. With being online, those keyboard shortcuts go away and now you have no move your hand from the keyboard to the mouse. It may not seem like much, but it's huge. The reporting features in QuickBooks Desktop are superior too. Yeah, your customer may not be able to have 24/7 access to their books, but if you're doing your job properly and getting them timely reports, most shouldn't need that.

Pros: Accounts payable is amazing. From tracking bills to writing checks to entering vendors. So easy. It also helps to make sure your 1099's are correct and in place for year end. Printing checks is a piece of cake and consistently easy!
Accounts receivable is awesome. Whether you are tracking tenants or customers, they can be easily set up.
Weekly, Monthly and Year End reporting can be done in a click of a 3 buttons, seriously. 3 Buttons pulls up your common report batches. Then you can print, save and email them.

Cons: When sending reports by pdf, I'd like to preview them first and adjust how they appear. Sometimes they can appear all wonky and not clean. The work around is to print to pdf. Then you can do it, just one extra step though.

• Reviewed on 16/09/2021
Closeout Specialist & HR Administrator
Telecommunications, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/04/2018

"We love it - when it works"

Comments: I personally did not choose this software and would readily change to another software if it was my choice.

Pros: It's a real workhorse and it does everything that we need it to do in the realm of accounting and payroll for our small business.

Cons: Customer service is Very bad. We upgrade every year, but we spend at least 4 or 5 hours two or three times on the phone until they get it right. We have three user licenses and five computers (some users have laptops), and somehow the company file gets inaccessible and other problems keep returning. One person did something to one computer and it never worked right again, and they actually told us on the phone that they don't guarantee that what they do remotely isn't going to screw up the computer. We're in the middle of another "upgrade" right now, and again, they've managed to screw up the network. We host our company file on one computer, and all the other ones have to access it there, yet they installed the new software as "store file on this computer" for all of them yesterday. Today, we're on the phone (going on three hours) again, this time to undo all the screwups from yesterday. NOT pleased. Also, now we have to save the accountant file to media and hand deliver b/c the file is "too big" and the only way to solve that is to compress all the old data, which we need to be able to use frequently. Not happy with the customer service.

• Reviewed on 17/04/2018
Paula C.
Controller
Philanthropy, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/09/2017

"Great value -- can't beat it for the price!"

Comments: Despite the drawback mentioned, QB has so much functionality for the price that, if there's another program that even comes close in value, I don't know about it. It is adaptable to a wide range of organizations. Additionally, because it is so ubiquitous, there are a lot of resources available to enable the user to get the most productivity out of this dynamo program.

Pros: QB is a comprehensive financial program with a high degree of flexibility. It has a wide array of standard reports, which are easily customized. Data from external programs can be imported into QB via Excel. The capacity (of vendors, customers, G/L accounts, companies etc), is high enough that it's never been an issue for me. It's fairly user friendly to someone with at least a basic accounting background. Non-accountants can be easily trained in specific aspects of the program.

Cons: The high degree of flexbility mentioned above is a double-edged sword -- it means that data can be easily deleted, changed, etc, thereby potentially comprising data integrity. For this reason, the program must be overseen and monitored by someone with a comprehensive understanding of the data risks involved. Therefore, QB is more suited to to an environment with fewer users who are well-supervised.

• Reviewed on 07/09/2017
Alex P.
Medical Practice, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/08/2019

"Quickbooks Desktop Pro experience"

Comments: Overall very happy with QB Desktop Pro - I'm no accountant but this software is pretty straightforward and makes it easy to keep track of the office finances. I am able to easily enter in ledger items and print checks.

Pros: I am easily able to search for checks or other financial line items in order to find when something was written. Also incorporates accountant's changes smoothly. Daily use is straightforward, although I do only have a beginner's knowledge

Cons: It took me a while to figure out why my checks weren't printing - there was a little box I had to check. Also it seems like it is always wanting me to update it all the time. I usually can't tell any difference after the updates.

by Intuit on 30/08/2019

We love knowing that you've been able to use QuickBooks to manage your business finances, Alex! You can continue to count on us to help out with certain aspects like keeping track of checks and relaying data to your accountant. To find out additional details about your account we recommend checking out our video tutorials (https://quickbooks.intuit.com/tutorials/). QuickBooks is always working to provide the best functionality for you. For more info on what's happening with new updates, we invite you to take a look at our Blog (https://intuit.me/2L2zqTv).

Thank you for a great review!

• Reviewed on 29/08/2019
Barbara B.
Bookkeeper
  • Reviewed on 12/04/2017

"Quickbooks 2017 review"

Comments: I am using QuickBooks Pro for my four clients now. Once a client is a cash basis video rental company. They invoice and get paid by credit card immediately for every sale. The sales dept creates the invoices and posts the payments. I track of all business expenses and income to the corporation, an LLC and his personal expenses and income as well. I reconcile the bank accounts and credit card statements monthly. I can do all this one day a week through QuickBooks Pro. I provide financial statements - a Balance Sheet and Income Statement to my client monthly. Then I pop it into excel and do a 12-month spreadsheet of the monthly Profit and Loss so he can see his trends and set goals as they are presented side by side each month. My other client has a business with three departments which each require a profit and loss statement. I set up the departments easily through the chart of account. In my career, I am now a bookkeeper and working full time. QuickBooks is perfect for this!

Pros: It is flexible and almost anything can be recorded and done. Reporting is easy to customize and can be set up to meet any company needs.
I also have a manufacturing cliient and inventory is easy to reconcile and move goods through the process. Reporting is essential in this area of QuickBooks.

Cons: I sometimes have trouble with the Chart of Accounts and eliminated accounts.

• Reviewed on 12/04/2017
Gennyfer C.
Office Administrator
  • Reviewed on 24/09/2020

"Overall Good Accounting Software"

Comments: Overall, I am pleased with the software and its capabilities. It does most of what I need it to and definitely saves time over doing my bookkeeping manually or in a spreadsheet program. If I had it to do again, I would probably purchase QuickBooks Enterprise, as I understand that it is designed more for the construction industry.

Pros: It is fairly easy to use and does a great job of tracking banking and financial transactions, payroll, and a pretty good job of tracking job costing. It is compatible with almost any bank or financial institution's online banking, which is a very convenient way to enter transactions and reconcile accounts.

Cons: Some of the reports are convoluted and a bit difficult to find the right filters to get the information you need to display on one report. Especially the job costing reports, it takes a couple of different reports to get the whole and accurate picture of actual job profits. Customer service is not always the best and technical support, beyond anything very basic, is not offered without paying additional fees.

• Reviewed on 24/09/2020
Joni M.
Administrative Assistant
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/03/2019

"Helps you easily organize your finances"

Comments: I was the administrative assistant for a start-up business. This man had been in business previously and several partners screwed him over. He was attempting to get this portion of his previous business back off the ground so he could pay off the thousands of dollars in debt they left him with. I created QuickBook entries for each credit card and outstanding bill. I entered all of the financial transactions that had taken place in the previous months. I was able to show him each month exactly how much he'd taken in and where every penny was going. It was so rewarding for both of us to see on paper exactly how those debts were being paid off. Along the way, I eliminated several recurring expenses he wasn't even aware of. It was so easy to straighten it all out once everything was entered in QuickBooks!

Pros: QuickBooks has so many ways to personalize your income and expenses, and then you can run reports for everything imaginable! As long as you've entered the data, QuickBooks will easily plug in the numbers and present you with a quality report that you can print or email. It only takes a few short minutes.
Quickbooks tech help is outstanding! With Desktop Pro you get 1 year of unlimited tech service. They were able to answer any questions I had. They also taught me how to use helpful features that I didn't even know were available.

Cons: Occasionally I would call tech support and find myself talking to someone who speaks heavily accented english. It didn't usually pose a problem as they were always able to help me work through whatever I needed.

• Reviewed on 12/03/2019
David R.
Management Consulting, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 18/09/2019

"User for Homeowners Association and also my own Management Consulting business"

Comments: I have all of my income generators classed by their source so that makes it really easy to see which of my activities are generating the most revenue.

Pros: I love the simplicity of inputting all accounting data into this program. It is also super simple to make changes to previously inputs. Some auditors say they don't like QuickBooks because it is too easy to go back and change previously input journal entries, invoices, bills, etc., but QuickBooks has a tracking system that shows all changes that have been made so this makes it great for both the user and the auditors.

Cons: I don't know of anything about this software that I don't really like. I have used just about all of QuickBooks different versions and I love all of them.

by Intuit on 19/09/2019

Hey there, David. Organization is key to managing a successful business. We're thrilled to know you've been able to do this with QuickBooks! You can continue to count on us to help with all of your accounting needs. It sounds like you're a pro, but the Community is a great resource if you ever need some additional support: https://community.intuit.com/

Cheers to continued success!

• Reviewed on 18/09/2019
Adam M.
BizOps Senior
Accounting, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/09/2020

"An underappreciated project"

Comments: The reporting features are highly flexible. AR and AP are easy to keep track of. Bank feeds make it easy to reconcile checking and credit card accounts. For very small businesses with a small number of employees, the payroll functionality is easy to use - makes it easy to pay employees properly and on time, and keep track of payroll tax liabilities.

Pros: It's a good product with a lot of functionality for a reasonable price. If people would take the time to learn more about it, I think they would appreciate it a lot more and be able to get more out of it.

Cons: I don't really dislike anything about QuickBooks. I understand the audit trail functionality isn't as good as it is in some more high-end products, so if you're a business that needs an audit, this might not be the best software for you (although I have participated in some audits at companies that used QB as their GL system). I don't know why so many accountants sniff at QuickBooks. It's a good product and Intuit does a lot of work to add new features and continuously enhance it. I would not hesitate to recommend QB to any small business owner.

• Reviewed on 09/09/2020
Sheri D.
Farming, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/04/2018

"Quickbooks Desktop Pro"

Pros: Quickbooks Desktop Pro has been an extremely beneficial piece of software for our business. The many features offered in Quickbooks Desktop Pro has brought everything together for us into one system. Our inventory, reports, quoting, invoicing, billing, payroll, customer and vendor lists, you name it - are all in our Quickbooks software. This has saved us countless hours of our valuable time with everything being in one place. We don't have to go searching for other software tools to handle our inventory, invoicing, payroll, etc. Another awesome feature about Quickbooks Desktop Pro - when the internet is down, Quickbooks still works :)

Cons: The biggest challenge we face using this product, is our limited number of users that are able to access the system. Since we have different employees to manage different areas of our business such as Accounts Receivable, Billing, Quoting, etc., we sometimes find it a challenge trying to balance the right time for these employees to access their portion of Quickbooks to complete their duties.

• Reviewed on 04/04/2018
Daniel P.
Chief instructor/ Program Director/ Owner
2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/07/2018

"Quickbooks Pro is All around a diverse product with lots of features."

Comments: All in all the Pro's out weigh the cons. It does its job and i can live with its quarks.

Pros: I like that you can set up auto billing for recurring payments, track all payments per the category or per the customer, and that it exports to an accountant seamlessly. Also when calling customer service, after jumping through there hoops, the person I am speaking with has always been able to help me with my issue.

Cons: Customer service and account verification can be hard some times. They set up many Intuit "Log-Ins" all require a different e-mail. (i.e. Were sorry you cant use that e-mail as it is already registered in the intuit database). This means when they ask you to verify you dont know if they need QB online portal, QB Accounts, QB payment portal, Intuit all accounts (not really). when speaking on the phone they cant even tell you which one it is that they need (apparently for your security) so sometimes i hafto guess to get it right which one they want. Also no EFT auto draft.

• Reviewed on 24/07/2018
Darlene R.
  • Reviewed on 13/02/2017

"A solid accounting program that is fairly user friendly"

Comments: As the title states, Quickbooks is a great accounting program. It is very user-friendly, although a person does need some bookkeeping or accounting background in order to know how to use the finer details of the program. The community forum is an excellent source of information for those who lack the background and support from Quickbooks themselves is excellent. I highly recommend Quickbooks Pro.

Pros: Virtually all features necessary, excellent reporting capabilities, user friendly.

Cons: Personally, I dislike that using the right Shift is essentially a caps lock in Quickbooks, it takes some getting used to always use the left Shift key to capitalize without ending up with all caps. I also wish that in multi currency, there were more than 5 decimal places. I dislike having to just 'come close' to the exchange rate because I am locked into only being able to use those 5 decimal places

• Reviewed on 13/02/2017
Sharon E.
Automotive, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/08/2019

"Quickbooks Desktop Pro"

Comments: I needed a software to take care of my accounting. Took some time to set up but once done the program is easy to use and would recommend it to any start up or existing business.

Pros: The ease of managing my daily bookkeeping and taxes, Keeping track of my daily expenses. It is an moderately priced program.

Cons: Customer service wasn't always as easy to get a hold of. Some of the applications in the program were difficult to set up. But for the most part the software did what I expected.

by Intuit on 09/09/2019

Maintaining organization is key to a successful business and we love helping you achieve this, Sharon! We're thrilled to know you've been able to easily manage bookkeeping aspects like taxes and expenses with QuickBooks. For a different path to reach support and to learn about applications in the software, we recommend checking out the Community. In this space, you'll find detailed articles and expert advice from fellow users and QuickBooks Team members: https://community.intuit.com/

We appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us!

• Reviewed on 21/08/2019
Psychologist
Mental Health Care, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/07/2020

"Worth the Upgrade"

Comments: My overall experience with Quickbooks Desktop Pro has been very positive. It is the gold standard for the type of accounting services I need. Once the system was set up with the help of my accountant, I have saved considerable money doing the books myself. I provide the account a backup file to review and it is a smooth process. There is also a way to give the accountant direct access to the books and corrections/adjustments are easily made.

Pros: I truly enjoy using the desktop version of the software much more than the online version. I had to upgrade my older version so I could download directly from my bank. That process is fantastic and it allows me to reconcile bank accounts so much easier.

Cons: I really don't have any features of the software that I don't like. Each time I have an accounting need, quickbooks works well for me. I run several companies and I haven't found any problems using the program in different industries.

• Reviewed on 07/07/2020
Justin R.
Mr
Accounting, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/05/2019

"Best value if you do not need to collaborate with your clients."

Pros: The value is so good because you can create as many companies as you'd like for the one purchase price.

Cons: The companies are stored on your computer. Makes it harder if you need to send the data to and from.

by Intuit on 17/05/2019

Hi Justin. Thank you for the review. I appreciate you taking the time to review, and would be more than happy to address the Cons you mentioned.

The good news about our Online software is that crashes aren't commonly associated with the file size. This is because everything is stored in the cloud, so the best way to safeguard against glitches is to ensure your app is on the newest release. The easiest way to do this on any mobile device is with an uninstall/reinstall.

As for support, we have a wealth of options available to you. As an alternative to the in-product support system, we have a Q&A forum on our Community site. It doubles as a troubleshooting/how-to database, and a perfect example of what you can find there is this article outline data exports: community.intuit.com/articles/1638497.

Cheers!
Grant, The QuickBooks Team

• Reviewed on 16/05/2019
Care Manager Supervisor
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/11/2018

"Quickbooks For Non-accountant owners"

Comments: Overall, I highly recommend QuickBooks. Have been a loyal user for many years and will continue to be so in the future.

Pros: Many of the features of quickbooks desktop pro are intuitive. For many small businesses, its as easy as writing checks and making deposits. Check writing, receiving money, billing, collecting money from customers, entering bills and paying them, are all some of these features that are very helpful.

Cons: There is not much I dislike about this software, but my only suggestion would be making it easier to use for companies with large and varied inventory.

by Intuit on 21/11/2018

I appreciate your review, as well as your suggestion about enhanced inventory. Please know there's a wealth of tools to help you along the way with the functionality Pro provides now, and the Community is an excellent place to explore them (https://community.intuit.com/articles/1767960-set-up-advanced-inventory). Since this troubleshooting database doubles as a Q&A forum, you can also reach out to other business owners for additional tips.

With this said, it'd be my pleasure to forward your ideas to the Engineering Team. They use your suggestions as inspiration, so let me know how the needs of a large inventory can be better met ([email protected]). This way, I can forward them your specific vision directly.

Here's to you as a loyal member of the family, and many more years to come!

Jess, The QuickBooks Team

Marcus S.
tax manager
  • Reviewed on 18/02/2020

"Quickbooks Desktop Pro"

Comments: I like Quick books desktop pro. It is a great program for small business accounting. I like that you are able to purchase the software outright and can use it for a number of years.

Pros: I like the multitude of functions that are present in the software. I like ease of correcting erroneous entries by drilling into the account and then the transaction. The speed of the program is a major positive.

Cons: I do not like that the software is always trying to sell additional products. I do not like that it bombards you with options to purchase additional features when all I want to do is get some accounting done.

• Reviewed on 18/02/2020
Bob T.
bookkeeper
Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/11/2018

"Quickbooks Pro desktop review 2018"

Comments: all in all it is a good software program for bookkeeping.
You can easily access reports and get a snapshot of your business.

Pros: It's easy to use, many reports to choose from.
Easy back up.

Cons: it is a bit expensive to get started.
I have not had the best luck with the customer support side. But, there are people certified in Quickbooks that are easy to find and very helpful.

by Intuit on 26/11/2018

Hi there, Bob. I'll see to it you always get the customer support you deserve when reaching out. There are certified product technicians on the official Facebook (Intuit QuickBooks) and Twitter (QBCares). I encourage you to find them there, as they'd be more than happy to help. As an added benefit, they're easy to reach M-F from 8 a.m. until 10 p.m. EST. Furthermore, this option is free of charge.

All the best to you and Rainbow Home Care Services!

Jess, The QuickBooks Team

Jake M.
Accountant
Accounting, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 01/10/2020

"The Classic Accounting Tool!"

Comments: I am solving all my general bookkeeping problems for my small business with Quickbooks.

Pros: I love the ability to customize the layout of the home screen. I also love how much quickbooks taught me about accounting! I have used quickbooks since my first accounting job and now use it for my personal business. It is so easy and simple to use!

Cons: I wish there was a better and easier way to customize reports. Generating reports is easy and simply in Quickbooks, but I just wish there was more customization available.

by Intuit on 05/10/2020

We're thrilled to hear that you love the customization within QuickBooks Desktop. The goal was to create a product that allowed each member of the Quickbooks family to make it their own. In reference to creating custom reports, we strongly believe that this will help make this task easier for you. https://quickbooks-training.net/creating-custom-reports-in-quickbooks-desktop/ Keep up the great work! -Hannah, The QuickBooks Team.

• Reviewed on 01/10/2020
Brianna F.
Project Administrator
  • Reviewed on 28/06/2019

"Quickbooks: Accounting with Ease"

Comments: As a General Contractor, we utilize credit cards to purchase construction materials, cover staff travel expenses, and pay subcontractors. The Vendor Center organizes these transactions in an orderly fashion where they can be sorted by credit card, date, or amount. Instead of spending minutes scrolling tediously through transactions, a charge can be located in a hassle free manner. The reconciliation tool also helps keep our books in check!

Pros: I enjoy the user friendly platfrom that Quickbooks Pro offers. I do not have an accounting background, so when I was asked to take on our small business' books, the task seemed daunting. Quickbooks Pro has given me a clear and user friendly outlet to get the job done. The suggested tips and tricks are practical for saving time and improving accounting accuracy.

Cons: I would appreciate more ERP Integrations between parallel accounting softwares to reduce double entry for Vendors.

• Reviewed on 28/06/2019
Frank J.
  • Reviewed on 11/06/2017

"This product is fabulous"

Comments: I own The 2015 enterprise only version of enterpris that you would let me buy but all my data is on 17

Pros: This product is fabulous, it does almost anything you could ask for an accounting software, The support is amazing but the Enterprise Support is closed on weekends

Cons: The software is excellent and the support is excellent it's just my business is suffering right now, I'm trying to recover from financial problems and can't afford it at the moment, I have used it since 1982 The software is excellent it's just my business is suffering trying to re-open right now. The only thing I have need of is to be able to use it without the Internet for a time on the mission field And it shuts down after 14 days without Internet

• Reviewed on 11/06/2017
Sean M.
Senior Associate
Law Practice, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/08/2020

"Easy Accounting Platform"

Comments: It was been great. This is an amazingly easy to use accounting platform and works as intended.

Pros: I am a fan of how easy it is to create invoices. The look and feel of this platform is great and the interface is very user-friendly.

Cons: I wish the QuickBooks dashboard screen was more customizable. It would be nice to customize this screen in a way that adds more functionality specific to my needs.

by Intuit on 10/09/2020

We're thrilled to hear that you've found it easy to get the job done within QuickBooks, Sean. To stay updated on exciting upcoming features and product updates, please feel free to check out the QuickBooks Blog: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/blog/. This is where your feedback comes to life! Wishing you a great business year. -Hannah, The QuickBooks Team.

• Reviewed on 27/08/2020
David Z.
CONTROLLER
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/04/2017

"QB review"

Comments: I have maintained the financials for multiple companies using QuickBooks. I find it very easy to use with sufficient flexibility to give me the majority of what I need in output reports. In my current company, we track all expenditures by Project. I have set up projects in the Customer section, even though most of the projects are internal R&D projects. This is very useful as a management reporting function.

Pros: Ease of use.

Cons: The standard P&L format is by natural (expense) account only. I would like a standard P&L that shows OPEX by: Administration, Selling & Marketing and Engineering. My work around is to use the class code as departments which I summarize monthly in order to create the P&L I want. It would be nice if this were a standard report.

• Reviewed on 11/04/2017
Summer B.
Administrative Assistant
Machinery, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/08/2019

"Quickbooks review"

Comments: Payroll is made easy and that's the best part.

Pros: I like that there are separate sections for each account that we need to reconcile each month. I like that forms and payroll can be filed online.

Cons: The customer service isn't very good. I can't hardly get anyone to answer my question through chat.

by Intuit on 09/08/2019

Hi Summer,
Having all of your bookkeeping resources in one space is key to help the day go smoother. We're glad you enjoy doing this with QuickBooks. To make sure you get the support you need, we suggest visiting our Community page that offers answers to questions from fellows users: https://community.intuit.com/

Thanks for your review!