15 years helping British businesses

QuickBooks Desktop Reviews

4.4 (1,992) Write a Review!

About QuickBooks Desktop

Accounting tool that provides multi-monitor support and past due stamps through improved cash flow.

Learn more about QuickBooks Desktop

Pros:

It integrates with our FSM software, so it is really great to be able to go from one system to another without much effort.

Cons:

My only complaint has been that when you are couple of releases behind you can no longer direct email invoices to a client.

QuickBooks Desktop ratings

4.3
3.9
4.3
4.2

8.3/10

QuickBooks Desktop has an overall rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars based on 1,992 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used QuickBooks Desktop before?

Filter reviews (1,992)

Stanley
Stanley
System Administrator in Kenya
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Industry Standard for Accounting.

Comments: QuickBooks Desktop Pro offers one of the best user interface and experience with an easy to grasp learning curve. This makes it the primary software for training accounts for many institution in y home place.

Pros:

Easy setup process even for non technical users to install is the number one reason QuickBooks Desktop Pro wins and the 30 Days trial version come in very handy.

Cons:

Lack of Wholesale and Manufacturing modules with QuickBooks Desktop Pro means I cant have BOM (Bill of Material) and this is quit limiting as it need an entirely new installation and license for its advance version that is QuickBooks Enterprise.

Joseph
sales manager in US
Telecommunications, 51–200 Employees

Awesome!! Easy and Affordable!!

5.0 last week New

Comments: I love it. Its all you need and its affordable as of today.

Pros:

Easy to Navigate, Simple and covers it all.

Cons:

Pop up asking to sign in frequently. Verify account.

Amir
IT Director in US
Accounting, 51–200 Employees

Designed to be difficult

2.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

It is clearly a helpful tool for accounting purposes but my view is from an IT standpoint.

Cons:

It is a very heavy-ended software. It drags when launching and/or many other functions. It does auto updates that resets SQL engines and causes difficulties for users to log in. It often needs to have QB Tool Hub launched and used to resolve errors.

Lisa
Director in UK
Accounting, 2–10 Employees

The best there is for desktop accounts packages

Comments: I struggled with Sage for about 3 years. Came across this software, learned it in a day and (not exaggerating), it really did change my life. Excellent software, great customer service, loved it. I'd recommend it to all clients and friends. However, times have moved on again, and now its all about being cloud based.

Pros:

I liked the budgeting feature, the auto invoicing, and the fact that you could have more than one company on the one desktop license. You didn't have to keep buying the license like on the online version.

Cons:

If you are working on the books with someone else, you have to make sure that you back up your work, save and send, and that you're always working on the most up to date version of the software. I don't think its being supported by Intuit anymore, so you can't add payroll and soon I think it'll be obsolete.

Karen
Attorney in US
Legal Services, 2–10 Employees

Good option

4.0 last month New

Pros:

Ease of use and lower monthly costs were a key reason for rhe change.

Cons:

Lacks ability to see remotely and share access.

Elizabeth
Landscaping in US
Building Materials, 2–10 Employees

QuickBooks review from Eli

3.0 last month New

Comments: It's ok I use assistance feature quite a bit

Pros:

The assistance available for services I don't understand

Cons:

The hours of customer service are limited to day only

Stephenie
Owner in US
Accounting, Self Employed

Highly recommend QB Desktop Pro

5.0 last month New

Comments: I have been using QB desktop software since 2008. I have used few other programs and hope that the desktop versions stays available as the QBO is NOT idea for me.

Pros:

The features in a software as opposed to QBO are unmatched! It's easy to move around the software & enter data, create invoices, pay bills & create reports. I LOVE the desktop version as it allows the user to quickly perform tasks.

Cons:

I do NOT like that the software changed the 1099 prep feature to an interview process. I know what I need to do & the original feature was quicker, cleaner and easier to use.

Isaac
Finance Manager in US
Utilities, 201–500 Employees

The Conventional Accounting Application

Comments: The efficiency in addressing all the accounting procedures is something ideal from the software.

Pros:

The software has included online payment plans that makes businesses universal.

Cons:

The accounting fraud part is not well handled by the app.

Melissa
Owner in US
Environmental Services, 2–10 Employees

Business at your fingertips

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Great.Experience so far.And I don't look in the future to switch from this prodactually i'm very satisfied

Pros:

That is available on my mobile device.And I always have my information accessible

Cons:

There really isn't anything about this product that I'm not satisfied with.It does make running my small business easier

ADRIANO
CFO in US
Retail, 51–200 Employees

Great tool!

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

Once you get used to it, it becomes your "best friend" on your daily accounting matters.

Cons:

So far, I have no complains. It is exactly what we need.

Alan
Event coordinator in US
Hospitality, 10,000+ Employees

The investment is worth the time and convience

Comments: Regardless overall, as a small business owner or not the utilization of using QuickBooks especially for a financial software is very easy to use. It has all the basics pretty much could anything I need on it. I haven't had an issue with QuickBooks I just recommend certain things like higher security as such.

Pros:

The easy of use, not complicated at all to utilize. it's also good with third-party applications and integrations, makes it much more easier. Price wise it is affordable since I would say it's worth the money it's for. It also has a very large support Network. Personally best software to keep financial records, especially for small businesses

Cons:

The security on it does lack, there isn't a two-step authentication. And there was a limitation to the number of products in the list especially for inventory purposes. There are also file size issues that need to be addressed, and personally I also believe there needs to be more utilization into e-commerce.

Salmaan
Employee in South Africa
Design, 2–10 Employees

Life made easier with the use of Quickbooks Desktop Pro

Comments: QuickBooks Desktop Pro has helped me to create fast and easy invoices, quotations and payments for my business. This has been a life saver.

Pros:

As a small growing business, I have taken advantage of the capabilities and features that QuickBooks had to offer. QuickBooks creates PDF files immediately once saved and these files can be emailed within seconds. Tracking of bills has never been easier as well.

Cons:

It has been difficult for me to get used to the QuickBooks software system as I have been using Excel before. I have no complaints about QuickBooks Desktop Pro as I have learnt the system and love how everything falls into place with the click of a button.

Cathryn
Associate Director, Operations in US
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Excellent Accounting Software for Small Business!

Comments: My overall experience with QB is fantastic. I was lucky enough to have used it for many years and even learned to convert the Chart of Account structure in order to do business with the Government. Our control system plus the software enabled us to pass DCAA's accounting system audit to perform on CPFF contracts. We have also used data from QB and external reporting to submit Incurred Cost Submissions to varies Government agencies. Highly recommend to small businesses!

Pros:

I used this software for over 20 years with several small businesses. I've used it daily for many years for all accounting cycles, such as AP, AR, GL, bank reconciliation, financial reporting, etc. I love its flexibility (mistakes can be easily fixed), complexity (can even accommodate DCAA compliance), intuitiveness (to me at least), and many report functions including drill downs. It also works very well with ICAT, so that QB data can be used to calculate indirect cost rates.

Cons:

Cons are very few. Because I haven't been a daily user for a few years, a couple of issues I remember are: 1. Interfacing with a 3rd party payroll seems to not work well, we ended up having to make a large summarizing journal entry (however, this is not an issue at the current company b/c payroll is handled by Intuit). 2. Too few characters are allowed in the PO and Invoice Number field. Our bookkeeper still currently have to be creative in order to have everything fit.

Shayne
Retail, Self Employed

Program is Great - Support not so Great

Comments: I enjoy using Quickbooks, but feel that the availability of a good alternative accounting program would make Intuit step up to the plate and improve their support after the sale. I feel that Quickbooks stands out as the leader and they really don't have any good competition.

Pros:

Very easy to use. Very versatile reporting. Offers several different ways to navigate the program

Cons:

The program is expensive and getting more expensive with every new release. Now Quickbooks has gone to being subscription based, so you will have to buy a new subscription every year. I used to just upgrade every 3 years or so. Support is outsourced to the Philippines making communication with the agent very annoying. Quickbooks acts like if you have to call support, it is because you are not smart enough to use the program. Support is expensive after a short introductory period.

Jeanette
Junior Controller in Canada
Construction, 11–50 Employees

QuickBooks - Simple & Effective

Comments: Of all the accounting programs I have used, I have found QuickBooks to be the most user friendly no matter what your level of eduction.

Pros:

As an accountant I appreciate how customizable QuickBooks is. Sometimes you need to be able to make changes to entries that some programs would not allow you to (ie. customize sales tax amounts) but there is the option with this program. There is also a certain level of control that can be set to ensure accidental errors do not occur (ie. pop-ups) which comes in handy for those with less accounting knowledge.

Cons:

Often you get out of it what you put into it. Since so many of the fields are optional (invoice #, memo, description, name, etc.) it is possible to make entries with so little data that it is difficult to determine what they were for when looking back to them. You really have to make sure if you have multiple users that everyone is recording entries with sufficient detail that it is clear what each entry is for.

Zuzana
V-President, COO in US
Airlines/Aviation, 2–10 Employees

Desktop Pro is great as entry to manufacturing

Comments: I've used QB for 20+ years and this program does it all in a complex business environment until you grow enough to need enterprise. (From a manufacturing standpoint)

Pros:

It's reasonably priced and does all the features I currently need pretty well. Customer service is great.

Cons:

Inventory management is slightly clunky unless you bump up to enterprise which is a commitment. Adding users is also clunky but do-able. Working on desktop remote and in the office or some variation on that is VERY clunky but also do-able if you can find the right solution for your situation.

Accounting, 2–10 Employees

Easiest accounting software I've used

Pros:

I have used Quickbooks for 19 years for twelve different companies in various industries and with various needs. QB is always easy and intuitive from every aspect, from the initial set-up of the company file to the day-to-day transaction entries. You don't need to be an accounting genius with a perfect knowledge of debits and credits in order to understand how to enter your transactions in QB. I especially like the set-up tools that guide you during set-up of various things, like payroll items. It takes the stress out of things. I also really appreciate that whether you're a new user or an experienced user, mistakes happen, and QB makes it so easy to correct or delete any transactions that you entered incorrectly.

Cons:

The only two cons I have found in my varied experience are: 1) QB does not track Use Tax, so you have to use roundabout ways to calculate and track that; and 2) if you live somewhere that Sales Tax is charged at the state level as well as at a county or city level, it can be tricky to get your sales tax properly set up and properly entered on your invoices. I have read that QB Online now offers better Sales Tax tracking, but I have no experience with that yet.

Intuit Response

5 years ago

Thanks a ton for this wonderful review! I'm pleased to hear you've been a part of the QuickBooks family for over 19 years! It's great that the program has consistently delivered the tools you need to get the job done. In regards to tracking taxes, I've submitted your review to our Product Development team. The consider feedback like yours when planning new features and updates. In the meantime, should you ever need support or want to learn more about the program, know you can find a plethora of self-help resource online on our Community website: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/US-QuickBooks-Community/ct-p/community-us I hope you continue to find success using QuickBooks. Thank you again for reviewing! Clay, The QuickBooks Team

Johnny
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Very Functional, but Complicated; With Irritating Pop Up Ads

Comments: Overall it's positive, and the software is very powerful. Even after two years (and a degree is computer science), I am still learning things with it. The bank export to QuickBoosk import feature most banks offer has saved me many hours of time doing monthly accounting, that alone makes it work it. The pop up ads on start up (which slow down my PC even more than the software otherwise would) are very very frustrating.

Pros:

This software is very full featured. I use it for a few businesses; residential and storage unit rentals. The software has can do most everything that you would want it to do for this type of business. There's great features for setting up recurring invoices for tenants, generating all types of reports to track how your rentals are performing, and the PayRoll add on is very helpful for paying employees and dealing with quarterly and annual taxes. One very huge pro is that most banks allow you to export transactions from the bank website software into QuickBooks format, and then you can import them into QB. This saves me tons of time as I have many transactions related to the self storage business, and it makes monthly account reconciliation much much easier.

Cons:

There's a steep learning curve here. Many of the features and options are not intuitive at all (ironic since the company that owns this software is named Intuit). I used simple spreadsheets before this, I'm very computer oriented, and I still don't use many of the features available in this software after a few years. I switched at the recommendation of my accountant, and a steep discount in my annual tax preparation costs. There's just so much to learn here! There are tons of web tutorials available to learn things, but you have to be aware of a feature in order to know that you can use it. If you have someone that can show you the ropes, or you're willing to dig in and learn, then I recommend this software. The only major complaint that I have about it is the pop up advertisements. When you start the software, you frequently get pop up ads. This is super irritating, and it doesn't seem to matter if you click the 'Don't show this again' button. I've already bought your software, STOP SPAMMING ME!

Bill
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

A solid solution for small business accounting, if you can get past some of the issues

Comments: We are a small business that has had 3-4 users with QuickBooks Pro since 1997, adding Payroll in the early 2000s. Several years back, they changed licensing and started preventing us from getting the 4 users that we needed. In order to get past this, I had to jump through hoops via an annual phone marathon, speaking to multiple (usually 4-5 tech reps) to get the licenses updated and sorted out. This year, they forced us to move to the next level up, which they promised would eliminate this -- but now they charge us $2.20 monthly per employee for Payroll, which we had already paid for in the previous package. It just seems that they want to nickle and die you to death, and their support people are not always that helpful when problems arise. So why do I stay? Simply put, the software works, and it works quite well. Our 4-node network has had no problems keeping up with the size of the data, and our system still contains all of the data since 1997 -- and it performs perfectly. (Some reports can be slow from time to time, but only if you are running "All-time sales" reports or similar that have to look at lots of data. Otherwise, the system simply screams and does exactly what it needs to do. Our automation interfaces (using QODBC and simple VBScript scripts) reduce the workload for invoicing considerably, eliminating the need to hire another full-time position -- so it is still a worthwhile aggravation.

Pros:

We have been using QuickBooks since 1997, and the product has certainly changed over the years, but it has remained very intuitive to learn and use over all of this time. More importantly, we have been able to automate large portions of our business using scripting and QODBC (which is a separate add-on that REALLY should be included) to streamline order processing and fulfillment.

Cons:

The biggest downsides are stupid things within the user interface. Intuit likes to add advertising for upgrades right into the main menu bar. This breaks automation scripts relying on mouse clicks. Even if you remove the button again manually, it re-appears with the next system update, breaking your automation again. The other thing they do is present pop-ups on our database server via modal dialog boxes, further breaking the automation until someone actually logs onto the server and clicks OK to close the dialog box.

Dawit
Dawit
Systems Administrator/Web Developer in US
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Efficient and Reliable: How QuickBooks Desktop Pro Transformed Our Financial Management

Comments: our experience with QuickBooks Desktop Pro as an IT company has been exceptional. The software has addressed critical business problems related to financial management, including streamlining processes, generating accurate reports, facilitating efficient invoicing and billing, enabling effective expense tracking, simplifying payroll management, enhancing financial security, and supporting our company's growth.

Pros:

We have been using QuickBooks Desktop Pro for our financial management needs, and we have been highly impressedOne of the things we liked most about QuickBooks Desktop Pro is its user-friendly interface. The software is designed with a clean and intuitive layout, making it easy for our team to navigate and access the various featuresQuickBooks Desktop Pro has been an invaluable tool for our IT company. Its user-friendly interface, comprehensive financial tools, customizable reporting, seamless integration, data security, scalability, and the wider QuickBooks ecosystem have all contributed to our positive experience

Cons:

while we found QuickBooks Desktop Pro to be an excellent financial management solution, there were a few aspects that we liked least about the software.While QuickBooks Desktop Pro offers a user-friendly interface, we found that there is a learning curve associated with mastering the software's functionalities.QuickBooks Desktop Pro has a mobile app, but its functionality is limited compared to the desktop version.Despite these minor drawbacks, QuickBooks Desktop Pro remains a powerful financial management tool that has greatly benefited our IT company

Owner sole proprietor in US
Music, Self Employed

My 2nd Try At a Bookkeeping Software

Comments: I didn't need a Bookkeeping program, I had a business account, deposited all my receipts from the business into that account. I paid all my business bills from that account. The BANK did my books! We moved back to Wisconsin in '98 where I had to collect sales tax. So I got a Bookkeeping program to keep track of my sales tax.

Pros:

It did what I needed it to do, kept track of my sales tax for the State and up to 8 Counties I serve. Due to it being installed on my desktop it was programed with the tax regulations for my state of Wisconsin. When it's time to file the sales tax you have to have the complete sales for the year and the complete sales number of non-taxable sales. QB Desktop Pro always had those numbers ready for me.

Cons:

I had no one to teach me, I was figuring it out as I went along, so I didn't get some of the vendors put in correctly at first. I had to re-work parts of it for income tax time and I never did figure out how to connect my bank.

Jillian
Office Manager in US
Accounting, 11–50 Employees

Quickbooks Desktop Pro makes bookkeeping a cinch!

Comments: I am winning at bookkeeping using Quickbooks Desktop Pro, what more can I say?

Pros:

Quickbooks Desktop Pro allows me to be a great bookkeeper! Isn't that worth it's monetary investment right there!? I am able to input bills/pay bills, deposits, bank reconciliations and run reports all in the same platform. I even order our checks through the software and it reminds me when we are getting low. Also, I love that I can set reminders for monthly tasks and bills that need to be taken care of without worrying about forgetting. It's tracking it all for me and I just take care of it when the reminder pops up. Now I don't have the bank account connected and that is a personal preference but it is an available feature and it has it's benefits. You can also complete invoicing and payroll through Quickbooks desktop but we already had other means to complete those tasks. I can't recommend it enough, you won't regret the investment.

Cons:

The only con I have about Quickbooks Desktop Pro is that going from the online version and converting to desktop is not clean. I've yet to get an import that wasn't missing something. I hope this is something Intuit will improve on in the future. But if you don't have to go back and forth then it's not an issue. I only have one client that this a bother for, other than that I keep everything on the desktop version.

Duncan
Chief Operating Officer in US
Banking, 2–10 Employees

Made the switch from Sage - could not be happier!

Comments: Our overall experience has been excellent. There have been a couple of times we've had to engage QB support, and they've been wildly more helpful than we ever experienced with Sage!

Pros:

We used Sage (Peachtree) for many years, and struggled to get even basic accounting reports out of the software. We made the decision to switch to Quickbooks Pro, and after a reasonable conversion process, found we were able to get *exactly* the reports we needed with relative ease. That was two years ago, and we've never looked back!

Cons:

There are some curious elements to the way QB organizes and labels certain functions...but that's par for the software course.

Rod
Development Director in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, Self Employed

Quickbooks Desktop for over 20yrs

Comments: Love / Hate. It does want you want with little accounting background required. But, if you need to track your customers/vendors/etc, or do fund accounting, you'll probably have to set it up and use it a couple of times before you get the most out of it.

Pros:

Quickbooks is easy to use and capture data via standard reporting. If you can make a deposit or record a check, you can use Quickbooks

Cons:

Capturing, tracking and reporting donor data is very challenging and you have to understand how QB tracks "customers" activity. Once captured, trying to extract that data is tricky. Somethings are easier to just export to excel and reorganize the way you'd like. QB is not set up to be a Fund Accounting system and trying to use it as one requires some detailed accounting / QB knowledge. It can be done, it just requires a lot of thought and execution. Plus, every 3-4 years, Intuit will try to force you to upgrade and they really want to get you into an on-line product or anything that is subscription based. Look for the desktop product "purchase" to go away.

Melissa
Accounts in US
Environmental Services, 11–50 Employees

QUICKBOOKS PRO IS THE WAY TO GO

Comments: It has made it a lot easier to keep track of the progress of the business. We can monitor the customers invoicing, their payments including methods of payments, dates of payments, as well as dates of services and what services were conducted with the codes that were readily available to be put to use. This is ultimately going to make the business a lot more valuable as we will be able to calculate the gross and net values produced by the business for any given season/month/year from now on; and when the time comes for retirement we will have a hard copy to show what the business is valued at.

Pros:

Setup is so easy and efficient. Once you have your account information entered you log in and you're set to begin entering your customers/vendors/accounts. As you create them it's simple to sync them and enter payments all within the ease of clicking a button.

Cons:

The first time of backing up the system was a bit of a challenge as I couldn't find the file on my computer; however, I do believe that was a personal fault of mine and had nothing to do with the program itself.

Intuit Response

6 years ago

Thanks a ton for taking the time to leave us your review, Melissa. Your comments are affirming to come across, as I loved reading QuickBooks is helping Lowers HVAC continue to grow. We're proud to be backing you and your team, and I know just where you can go should you ever have questions. When you get a chance, explore our Community forum space a bit. This live Q&A space doubles as a troubleshooting library, and a perfect example of what you can find there is this article on system backups: community.intuit.com/articles/1436816. Even though I'm confident you're a pro at backups by now, the article above highlights what the Community has to offer. Delighted we're doing our part to keep you on track. I'm wishing you continued business success, so when the time for retirement comes around, you'll have nothing to do but celebrate. Jess, The QuickBooks Team