Shotcut Reviews

• Overall
    3.9/5
    3.9/5

About Shotcut

Open source multi-format video editing solution for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Supports webcam, screen, and audio capture.

Learn more about Shotcut

John H.
Founder & Creative Director
E-Learning, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/08/2018

"A perfect evolution from Movie Maker"

Pros: As Windows Movie Maker has now discontinued, Shotcut provides a great alternative for video editing without a cost. The interface is intuitive and the functions are easy to get used to quickly.

Cons: This does provide a basic video editing service and so if you are wanting to have more effects/functionality then you will be best going for Adobe Premiere Pro. But for a free solution, it works great.

• Reviewed on 16/08/2018
Gerald Q.
Creator
Entertainment, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 22/09/2019

"Fantastic Free Open Source Video Editor"

Comments: So far I've had no problems with Shotcut. Since the amount of scene transitions is limited I find myself concentrating more on the quality of the scenes themselves instead of the transitions, which is a good thing. This program is perfect for those on a budget or for a beginner. If you can master Shotcut, you'll be in perfect shape to advance to a more expensive program later on. This will definitely teach you the basics for free before you decide to lay out your cash. All in all I'm very pleased with Shotcut, I highly recommend it.

Pros: You can't beat the price (Free!). This program gets the job done. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles as expensive programs but it does plenty enough to do most basic projects. I've done numerous music videos and little comedy skits that I've uploaded to YouTube and they come out great. They look totally professional and the feedback I've gotten has been very positive. My action camera records in .mov format which is hard to edit with. I convert my raw files to .mp4 which makes editing much easier and I'm unable to discern any loss of video quality. All in all, Shotcut has been a great choice for me.

Cons: Some of the functions aren't intuitive. It takes a little while to figure out how everything works. Also it's slow while it publishes your final work but if you're patient it's well worth the wait to save money. It lacks a variety of scene transitions that more expensive programs have but it does have the basics.

• Reviewed on 22/09/2019
Roshen D.
Computer Games, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/02/2020

"Shotcut: The Free Editor You Have Been Missing Out On"

Comments: Overall, I think Shotcut is a great free video editor that anyone can use after a little bit of practice and through some of my testing I found out that it can even process some raw 8K footage from a camera we rented.

Pros: What I liked most about the software was that it had the features of a professional video editor such as Adobe Premiere Pro. It could also process 4K HDR 10 video at 120FPS which other video editors struggled to render these types of video formats. My favorite part about it is that it doesn't have an ANNOYING WATERMARK. Basically some of the other editors I tried showed a giant watermark across the screen that said the company name or it said Free Version but Shotcut has no watermark.

Cons: Originally when my team picked this software for free I thought it was going to be easy to use but I thought wrong. But after a few days of learning I was using Shotcut in no time. I just think people should know that because it isn't easy to learn at the start doesn't mean you can't learn it.

• Reviewed on 11/02/2020
Michael j N.
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 20/12/2019

"Supports me video editing needs"

Comments: I can edit recorded video or make my own video presentations with custom audio soundtrack. The software has been improving consistently when new versions are released.

Pros: The Timeline has been getting easier and more functional with drag and drop ease and the next version is supposed to support moving multiple clips at the same time. FFMPEG provides compatibility with almost every video format. Supports 4K video!

Cons: Crashes occasionally when moving audio or playing with the timeline. This has improved with recent versions and there are tricks you can do to improve stability.

• Reviewed on 20/12/2019
Clive V.
Life Coach
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 02/02/2020

"Shotcut Review "

Pros: As a someone new to video editing I was looking for for free software to start a YouTube channel and edit videos. It's open source and free so that was great!

Cons: As a newbie to video edoti6it was really daunting and I could not find a simple beginners guide to using this software

• Reviewed on 02/02/2020
Gregg B.
Executive Director
Religious Institutions, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 01/03/2019

"Very good open source video editor"

Comments: I was looking for a lightweight cross-platform video editing system for my laptop that could export easily to my more robust desktop editing platform and for basic edits and output for preview, and Shotcut will work well for this. I'm still undecided if it'll be a long term solution, but it is a surprisingly well thought out open source program that will fit many video editors' needs.

Pros: I'd like to start by saying Shotcut is a very good, multi-platform video editing solution. Even video editors with little to no experience will find the layout and usability of Shotcut to be appealing and usable. Import and organization of video files is straightforward and an array of basic editing tools will enable many users to complete high-quality video projects with little investment. Color grading and clip correction tools are surprisingly good for a free program. Another big plus is that it is lightweight, meaning it delivers a lot of power for a small program size and doesn't slow down real-time rendering trying to do too many other things.

Cons: Again, Shotcut is a very good video editing solution - up to a point. Once your project gets more complex, the clip organization, preview speed and ability to integrate pre-set transitions and titles falls a little short. It'll get the job done, but other tools offer a more robust option.

• Reviewed on 01/03/2019
Kenneth B.
Graphic designer
Graphic Design, 10,001+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/06/2019

"A great software to achieve quality video editing."

Pros: The software is free and open source meaning there's a community always improving this software.The interface is professional looking and provides high quality videos upon exporting.it has a lot of features such as chroma key that make green screen editing accesible and more convenient.it simple and has a sleek design and is a very easy to use software.

Cons: I have never experienced any issues using this software whatsoever it runs smoothly on my pc and laptop and have never experience any inconvenience when using this software

• Reviewed on 04/06/2019
Zackery M.
engineer
Automotive, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/02/2020

"Made video editing a breeze"

Comments: We were able to speed up the process of trouble shooting and making training videos for my employees. I am able to record a problem and edit the video to demonstrate how to effectively troubleshoot a problem.

Pros: The ease of use is what i like most about his software. What used to take me hours i can now do in a fraction of the time. The ease of importing videos directly to the timeline has really helped out.

Cons: Instructions are not the most clear as far as changing properties, and added different effects to a project

• Reviewed on 18/02/2020
Krishnan R.
Retired
Telecommunications, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/10/2019

"Shotcut - Cuts off your time to create a video "

Comments: short learning curve
and the experience was good when I had to create a video with subtitles embedded in the video.

Pros: - Videomaker provides various transitions and effects to include in your video
- A plethora of export options to explore
- It is free for most of the features
- Can import images, audio, video and arrange in sequence with various effects and transitions to make your video a professional.

Cons: - The popup button hep timing is very low. The help popup disappears before we could read and comprehend.
- A voice base commands interpreter like a directors voice could be helpful for accessibility

• Reviewed on 31/10/2019
Brian W.
Marketing Manager
  • Reviewed on 10/04/2019

"A very good alternative"

Comments: So let's tell a story. I was asked to make a small video and I hadn't done any real video editing outside of fooling around a few times with Adobe's counterpart. I have used Microsoft's and helped people use Sony's Vegas Pro (or whatever it is called). I figured the timeline would be similar to that and everything would just work that way. I downloaded ShotCut and ambled my way through making the video I needed. I was kind of saddened at my choices of free video editors and wasn't too happy with ShotCut at the time. I downloaded some more of the free choices (some of which have large names). After using ShotCut, I couldn't wrap my head around using those programs and how they work. I went back to ShotCut and got it done in minimal time because it made sense to me. Now I am very proud of ShotCut because it makes sense to me.

Pros: It works and has a lot of capabilities. I'll explain more in my overall experience to show my joy with the software.

Cons: The learning curve is different from other video editing software. That being said, you can't beat it.

• Reviewed on 10/04/2019
Olivia B.
SRE
Market Research, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/09/2019

"free video editing"

Comments: Simple to use, free video editing software which gives you great quality outputs, but may take a while to fully understand and learn the features available.

Pros: Shotcut has some great features and is quite simple to use, best of all you get all of this for free. I use it to create video montages from recordings of respondent interviews. It allows me to cut long videos, and group together multiple clips. It also has the option to add in many fade out / fade in options and effects. the options to export from he playlist or the timeline are very useful and the video outputs are high quality

Cons: I had to search online for a while to work out how to export individual clips rather than the whole timeline, it would have been preferable if this was clearer as when i first started using this software I wasted a lot of time. the software can also freeze occasionally, but this is somewhat to be expected with the sizes of the files used.

• Reviewed on 05/09/2019
Tabish P.
Electronics engineer
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 21/02/2020

"The Best Free Video Editor that beats Primer pro"

Pros: -The Free and easy to use Ui helps a lot if you are student. Or any one which is just entering the digital video editing career.

Cons: - the ablitiy to edit 8k footage is still not available

• Reviewed on 21/02/2020
Michael T.
Network Administrator II
Telecommunications, 10,001+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/04/2018

"In the right hands Shotcut is as good as any video editing software"

Comments: I use Shotcut every week, and sometimes multiple times a week to edit my drone footage. I does as well as Adobe Premiere for zero cost.

Pros: Shotcut is free, and that is an excellent feature, but what I like best about it is that being open source, it has people working on it that actually care about the project and want it to be an excellent video editor.....which it is! I use it to edit my drone footage every week.

Cons: Some of the earlier versions of Shotcut were buggy, but I have not had this issue in a very long while.

• Reviewed on 09/04/2018
Tyler T.
Youtuber
Entertainment, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 15/04/2018

"Best open source video editor "

Comments: Able to edit videos quickly. Able to create videos from images. Able to screen record gaming videos.

Pros: It's free! Shotcut being free doesn't mean that it is low quality though. There is a huge community that supports it, and continually work to make it better and add more features. The most useful feature to me is the the drag and drop, I can literally make a video in just a couple minutes if I need to upload something quickly but it has tons of powerful features that I can use if I need to make a higher quality video.

Cons: Nothing really to complain about now. Some of the older versions had issues with dragging to the timeline, but this was fixed a few updates ago.

• Reviewed on 15/04/2018
Brian L.
Online Media, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 26/06/2019

"My Shotcut Review"

Comments: My experience with this program has been great. I have tried other free programs and this one i s a whole lot easier to use and it has mostly all of the same options

Pros: It is a very simple program to use. There are plenty of options to choose from and it has the same options that most bigger programs have. It is free to use

Cons: The only con i have with this program is the font selection

• Reviewed on 26/06/2019
Abel R.
Teacher
Education Management, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/07/2019

"The best free video editing software there IS"

Comments: The best video editing and FREE software there is which fills all my needs. It is the perfect official tool for making a video with a professional touch.

Pros: Shortcut is just the perfect video editing software anyone who is looking to make a video wants. It contain all the necessary tools from video editing, text editing, sound editing with a ton extra features which will take A LONG TIME for learning completely!!!!! The overlay tool is just great and is the perfect animation there is.

Cons: The great features outweighs the simple errors of the problem. The feel that it is very good software. But they can add more features and highlight the text overlay feature, add an inbuilt tutorial as it is a little difficult to get used to. When using the overlay function within the app, it sometimes gets stuck but there will be no problem in the final video.

• Reviewed on 31/07/2019
Parakrama D.
  • Reviewed on 05/06/2018

"Fantastic software that provides access to features only available in expensive software"

Pros: I love being able to access a quality video editing software with features that would normally only be accessible through the purchase of an expensive video editing package. I can edit high quality 4k videos using this open source software for free!

Cons: The software is a bit difficult to get used to and while there are loads of features it can take time to learn how to use them.

• Reviewed on 05/06/2018
Vuk D.
Designer
Design, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 03/07/2019

"Shotcut is the best editing software ever!!!!"

Pros: Shotcut is really easy to use and it is free,exporting is also efficient

Cons: It needs more and better transitions and effects.

• Reviewed on 03/07/2019
Jeremy J.
Marketing Director
  • Reviewed on 30/09/2019

"Great Beginning Editor"

Comments: Shotcut is a great choice for beginning video editing on lower performance systems. If you need to throw together a quick video, it definitely has all the tools you need.

Pros: Shotcut is very simple to use-- practically no learning curve. Even exporting is simple with Shotcut, which is something that many video editors struggle with. This editor also gives you more freedom than others; every frame is your's to control right off the bat, and performance is top notch.

Cons: Shotcut can be a tad glitchy at times. The app crashed on me several times.
While it is a great, simple video editor, it has a distinct lack of features found in many other free editors.

• Reviewed on 30/09/2019
Web Designer/Journalist
  • Reviewed on 31/07/2018

"By far the best cross-platform video editor out there"

Comments: I've been able to make stunning videos, ranging in length and complexity, on a short timeline!

Pros: Shotcut is a simple video editor. Reminiscent of the discontinued Windows Movie Maker, it has a clean, intuitive interface. Unlike most free video editors, Shotcut has advanced features such as color correction and chroma key. It also lets users rearrange the workspace to their liking.

Cons: While Shotcut works beautifully on Windows, I've had some problems using it on Linux systems. There are still bugs the developers are working to iron out. Also, while the rearranging of the interface can be a plus, it also makes it confusing for beginners. For example, the timeline doesn't appear until videos are added to it or a special button is pushed.

• Reviewed on 31/07/2018
Parker Y.
musician
Music, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 29/08/2019

"Good, quick editing software"

Comments: Overall I have had good success with Shotcut. I would definitely recommend it for someone who doesn't have a lot of experience with professional editing. It's very easy to use and easy to figure out.

Pros: I liked that everything was very easy to use. It shows you your audio track, your video track, and you can do split screen, picture in picture or anything else that you want to do fairly easily. It's also very obvious what is what to someone like me who does not have a lot of experience with video editing.

Cons: The only reason I didn't give it full marks is because it sometimes will export videos at different rates. I've had that issue with different softwares so it might be my computer.

• Reviewed on 29/08/2019
Jauhari L.
Department Manager
  • Reviewed on 21/08/2019

"Can't complain"

Pros: Shotcut is a free video application that allows you to do everything that a paid video software does. I like that I can use chroma key to insert my own backgrounds into videos, something that's useful for my YouTube videos.

Cons: Shotcut is a good application however it freezes a lot even with my computer which has 16 gigs of ram.

• Reviewed on 21/08/2019
Andrew H.
Technical Director
Nonprofit Organization Management, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/04/2019

"A good free, slightly advance video editing platform"

Comments: Overall, I think Shotcut provides a good alternative to the easier-to-use iMovie...even though it's a little more difficult to use, in my opinion, it's also a bit more powerful. It cannot be compared to Adobe Premiere, however, that's a completely different animal of a much better nature!

Pros: I like the feature set of Shotcut - the way it handles color grading is reasonably nice, the way it displays audio wave forms is helpful and visually appealing, and the more you use it, the more you discover features that are not immediately obvious when you first start. It can run on a Mac or a Windows, making it a good option to consider over iMovie or some other Windows options. There's also a pretty good sized online community of users, so tutorials are accessible.

Cons: It seems to be a little bit "clunky" out of the gate. I run it on a 2015 MacBook pro, 2.7GHz, i7 with 16GB....maybe it's my machine but sometimes video playback gets slightly choppy. It isn't easy to navigate at first...lending itself to a pretty steep learning curve.

• Reviewed on 15/04/2019
Operations Manager
  • Reviewed on 22/05/2018

"Fantastic open source video editing software"

Pros: Shotcut offers a high quality platform to edit videos and create awesome works. The software is free, open source which saves you from having to purchase expensive packages.

Cons: The user interface could use some work to make it easier for inexperienced users to interact with. This would make editing a faster process.

• Reviewed on 22/05/2018
Michael H.
Co-Founder | Creative Director
  • Reviewed on 27/04/2019

"Solid, open-source, and free"

Comments: Shotcut is a great alternative that's free and open source to paid products such as Adobe Premiere Pro, or some Mac programs. We keep the portable version on a USB key at all times so we can quickly run edits on any machine in a pinch!

Pros: We had issues finding a video editor that was good, and cross-platofrm, until we fell upon Shotcut, which is a surprisingly solid program, for all major OS (Windows, Linux, Mac). One of our favorite features for Shotcut is the option to download an installable file, or a portable version which is small enough to fit onto a USB key, and runs with no installation needed! I'm not sure how well the portable version handles massive projects, but it's handled everything we've thrown at it so far!

Cons: It may just be the portable version on Windows 10, but the visual interface for Shotcut is a bit cramped and messy. We found ourselves routinely having to work around some clipped windows, truncated menu text, or confusing layouts (namely the export window).

• Reviewed on 27/04/2019