Love Open Table!

Kathryn B.
Director of Sales
Hospitality, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: OpenTable is wonderful, not only do they have fast and professional customer service, they're also improving the software everyday. I love that we can train our hosts quickly and use the software to make it an enjoyable dining experience for our guests.

Pros: From a sales perspective, Open Table is fantastic at making sure we have plotted the proper rooms for private events. It is constantly making suggestions and making sure we're in the right time slots for turning tables. For our FOH manangers, it is very easy to train on which makes it less time consuming in the host training process. Guest center is also a great hub to check reviews, see your seating from an app on your phone and make any changes on the go. Love the pop up function and notes section to make sure our hosts have all the information they need. OTrestaurant.com is also wonderful to make sure we have all the right marketing tools turned on and become available to our guests. It is important that our guests have an ease of use to make a reservation and with the bonus points they receive from booking on open table it is just a plus for us to use the software.

Cons: Not a con, but we would love to see Open Table integrate with private dining software to make plotting private events faster.

by OpenTable on 06/08/2019

Hi Kathryn, thanks so much for taking the time to write a review!

A great tool for restaurant

Reviewed on 22/08/2019
Aron V.
Events Coordinator
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We have used them for years and would highly recommend them to small, non-corporate restaurants trying to be seen amongst so many local restaurants.

Pros: Easy for our guests to make reservations, tracks guests visits, you can enter guest notes and historical data to make their next visit more meaningful. They often have "Top Ten" lists for the categories that guests vote you in that you can use for marketing purposes. Reviews on Open Table are considered 'legit' as only real diners can write reviews.

Cons: If you have more money to spend, a program like SevenRooms has more guest tracking data capabilities for tagging and targeted emails/marketing. Can get expensive if your guests often use Open Table to make reservations.

by OpenTable on 05/09/2019

Hi Aron, thanks for taking the time to write a review! We really appreciate your recommendation. We are now able to offer very sophisticated CRM capabilities through Venga. You can learn more here: https://restaurant.opentable.com/products/venga

Very easy and great tool for booking ahead and making reservations.

Reviewed on 05/07/2018
Joshua S.
Equipment Engineer
Customer Support

Pros: What I like most about this software is its usefulness, coupled with its simplistic yet easy layout. The options for available times and selections are very easy to read, making it very user-friendly. I also liked the way the layout also seemed to cater to touchscreen devices with larger than average digital buttons for selections. This definitely contributes to use on the go when a reservation may be needed to be made last minute. The available time suggestions closest to my desired time and date option also save me time from having to search around and find an available date and time.

Cons: There is not much I dislike about this software, but one thing that I would appreciate is in regards to desired date storage. What I mean by this is, let us say I have a date and time in mind for a reservation, and that time slot is not available, I am unable to book that timeslot. However, I am never made aware if that time slot becomes available unless I keep checking on that timeslot. It would be ideal if this software could incorporate an email alert or equivalent if a previously unavailable timeslot becomes available (due to the party originally occupying the reservation say cancels their existing reservation or if more seating becomes available) such that I can book my desired timeslot. While I realize this is more a feature I would like to see in a future update as opposed to an issue with the present software, I feel that this is something that is lacking that could be easily incorporated as a very useful user option.

Opentable and Venga

Reviewed on 04/10/2019
Megan L.
Restaurant owner
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I’ve been using it in every restaurant I have worked in for 13+ years. The continued evolution of the product is much appreciated.

Pros: There is so many benifits- ease of use, platform for managing reservations prior to and in the moment, it aids in generating reservations, retaining guests and collecting data. Now that there is a venga connection I’m over the moon!

Cons: Honestly the cost per reservation is a little high for small owner operated restaurants but the added benefits are unmatched.

I predominantly use OpenTable for all my meal reservation-making.

Reviewed on 26/04/2018
Jenny M.
Brand Director
Internet, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Easy planning, less anxiety in wondering if a restaurant will have a wait, easy searching and filtering.

Pros: What I like the most about OpenTable is its ease of use. If I know what restaurant I want to book a reservation for and they have availability, I can basically get in and get out in less than 2 minutes. THAT'S efficiency. I also like that you can customize searches by specific neighborhoods, specific occasions or ambiances (romantic vs. casual, etc.) and obviously prices. Yelp isn't a main competitor but I hate that when you search for a bar or restaurant in a certain neighborhood on Yelp the results populate many, many bars or restaurants beyond that neighborhood to satisfy the search generation. I like that OpenTable functions more explicitly and narrowly than Yelp but it MAY include some very close neighborhoods in a search query. OpenTable's trend forecasting and "places we think you'd like" are on point, too. They do a good job of assimilating restaurants into categories not just by food type but ambiance type and cost. On OpenTable, very often I'll book a reservation and then come back to check something and see that there are recommended restaurants for me that I actually already have on my personal list. It's not just like, "You picked an Italian restaurant, so we're going to recommend another Italian restaurant!". It feels more personalized and catered to me because many other factors are seemingly taken into account besides just food type.

Cons: This isn't a dig at the software specifically but I feel like some high end or modern / niche restaurants decide to host reservations on Resy instead and that tends to deter me from using OpenTable from time to time. I haven't had any issue with the OpenTable software specifically.

Great to make online reservations

Reviewed on 13/02/2019
Senior Manager, Global Experiences
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall OpenTable is a great tool to make online reservations; however, I do feel that they need to make some improvements especially regarding the reward program to make it more appealing.

Pros: I use OpenTable almost on a daily basis to make reservations for both business and personal lunches or dinners. It is very easy to use and you can book a table at a restaurant within minutes. I like that you can search restaurants by neighborhood but also by cuisine and price range. It is also very easy to cancel or modify a reservation. The app is also very convenient for any on the go need.

Cons: Their reward program is not appealing. The VIP status doesn't grant you anything. I wish they would design a program where VIP members get preferred seating, timing etc. Moreover, after you collect a certain amount of points, you get a voucher towards a future reservation; however I noticed that the selection of restaurants that accept the voucher is extremely limited. Additionally, not all restaurants are listed on OpenTable, which sometimes is not ideal

OpenTable is a great resource for keeping managing restaurant reservations

Reviewed on 19/10/2018
Ashley M.
Consultant
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: My in-laws own a restaurant and I often help them from a technology and operations perspective. They had trouble managing their reservations. They only open for dinner, and they would spend a lot of time every day listening to Voicemail reservations, trying to get parties back on the phone to confirm, and trying to manage cancellations vs. openings with an antiquated system. When I suggested OpenTable I did not realize all of the problems I would be solving for them. OpenTable brings reservation systems into the 21st century, and allows patrons an easy way to make, change, and cancel restaurant reservations with the click of a button. For the restaurant owner or manager, it saves all of the time you use to need for follow-up, and all of the administrative management needed to handle cancellations and book optimal service volume.

Cons: There is nothing that I do not like about OpenTable for business. It has brought a lot of value to our team, and has become a major asset that we rely on to book reservations. Patrons are as happy with OpenTable as we have been in the decision to start taking reservations through them.

Are use it all the time

Reviewed on 02/07/2018
Angela C.
Hospital & Health Care, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Very convenient and a great timesaver

Pros: This is an unbelievably convenient and functional product. I use it to find restaurants easily and reliably when I travel. It's much more convenient than having to call the restaurant. I can make reservations any time of the day and go back-and-forth between restaurants to compare available times. Then, after I finish making my reservation, I could send the information to the other people in my party with just one click. Because of this product, I have tried many new restaurants and in many different areas that I wouldn't have otherwise tried. And, of course, the point system gets me a coupon every so often.

Cons: My biggest complaint is with the interface. I use it as an app on my phone mostly and sometimes I have trouble finding what I'm looking for. It works much better on the desktop.

Easy Way to Get More Reservations

Reviewed on 07/06/2019
Daniel C.
Managing Partner
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall its been positive and I would recommend the product. Its pretty painless and basically runs in the background for us. I wish it would do more, and address some of my cons - confirmation for customers, give a reason for cancellations, and have a better way of notifying us of reservations, emails get missed. But I cant really complain too much about a service that is this inexpensive and puts guests in seats

Pros: Easy to Use
Painless Monthly Billing
Inexpensive, Low Cost
Helpful Dashboard

Cons: Easy to miss notifications, tends to get lost in my emails etc.
Not sure how charges work for cancelled reservations, but I regularly have out of area numbers make reservations then cancel within minutes. Hopefully not padding their numbers.
Guests have complained about not receiving confirmation of their reservations from OpenTable
I wish there was some sort of reason response with the cancellations - even if its pre-formed answers selected from a box, something that doenst require a lot of effort on customers ends

Excellent program

Reviewed on 27/12/2017
Group Sales Manager
Customer Support

Pros: Exposure. But also many features to keep track of your bookings, who changed the bookings when, and history of return guests. Great customer service- you get right thru every time. Highly recommend.

Cons: I wish it would have the ability to get it on more computers without the extra cost. As a sales manager, if I could get it at home, I could work from home.

by OpenTable on 28/12/2017

Hello, thank you for taking the time to leave this thoughtful feedback! Per your comments about not being able to use your software across multiple devices or on-the-go, our latest solution GuestCenter does offer these features! If you call 1-800-OPENTABLE you can get more information about upgrading to GuestCenter and accessing those capabilities. You can also learn more on our website here: https://restaurant.opentable.com/products/guestcenter
All the best!

Best SW for restaurant bookings

Reviewed on 13/09/2018
Robert T.
Sales & Marketing Manager
Hospitality, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Excellent product with whom we hope to be happy for many many years to come...

Pros: As we have 2 restaurants in our company, we are always looking new ways to promote them and to have less empty seats for lunch or dinner. We have found about OpenTable online, and we contacted them several years back. At that time they were only U.S. based, but last year when they spreader their network in Europe, we were the first company in our country that signed the contract with OpenTable.
Their training staff was great, introducing the system and training our staff.
As were the first users, we believe that we gain enough advantage for the time being and the fact that we were the first helped us to increase the business in our restaurant - times four....

Cons: In this part we would say the fees, but the fees are ridiculously small, we counted that we are spending or giving 2,5-3% of our revenue to OT, which is really small when you count the fact that any mediator would ask for 10%...

OpenTable Kept Our Guests and Staff Happy

Reviewed on 23/07/2019
Lauren W.
Global Giving Database Manger
Nonprofit Organization Management, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall, OpenTable provided my restaurant with the ability to track guest who dined at our restaurant. It made the experience smoother for our FOH staff, especially our FOH manager and hostess.

Pros: The best thing about OpenTable is you're able to see who will be coming to your restaurant in advance. I don't necessarily mean each day (although that was great too!), but in the days prior. We were able to staff the restaurant accordingly by how many guests we were expecting. The interface was smooth and reliable on both our end and that of our guests.

Cons: There weren't many flaws with OpenTable. We had times when it wasn't updating in real time, but that may have been due to our internet capability.

A must have for any serious restaurant looking to grow their business

Reviewed on 28/10/2018
Charles K.
Director of Sales
Hospitality, 10,001+ Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I used OpenTable in a previous position and it was invaluable for driving new customers and for making the reservations experience more enjoyable for customers. With a little upfront time, it was well worth the effort and investment.

Pros: OpenTable's best features are its ease of use and widespread acceptance across the customer base. Are there better restaurant platforms out there? Maybe. But customers want OpenTable, so you would be missing a major opportunity by not using their software.

Cons: The only negative is with the amount of restaurants already on the platform, it can be difficult for your restaurant to stand out. If a customer is specifically seeking your restaurant, then it's not a problem. But if they are searching 'Italian restaurants in Palm Beach', are they really going to take the time to visit your listing on page 4? Probably not.

Convenient, easy to use but minimal rewards and missing restaurants

Reviewed on 26/09/2018
Lecturer, Researcher
Higher Education, 5,001-10,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I use OpenTable weekly to book restaurant reservations. I love that the app is easily accessible. I have had issues with needing to book two locations within a 2.5 hr timeframe... the software does not allow this, which is inconvenient, as some of us need to use two accounts to meet our needs.

Pros: Convenient, especially with the app on mobile devices. Love the different search options (name of restaurant, location, type of food). Like that there is a reward component.

Cons: Missing a tier system! I want to be rewarded to designated as "special" for all my points... not just claim a gift card that I will use and then never see again. There should be a designation that gives frequent restaurant attendees not just point to claim and then disappear, but also to get special seating or VIP treatment in some method. Also, some restaurants do not participate in Open Table... either very private ones or certain locations for chains... inconsistent. Perhaps if Open Table offered benefits beyond the same platform for reservations, more restaurants would participate.

Open Table: Easy to Use!

Reviewed on 31/05/2019
Academic Advisor
Education Management, 10,001+ Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I have realized that there are huge benefits to using this for lunches or dinners with co-workers or with candidates who are here for a meal during an interview process. This really saves time as far as working with admin assistants on scheduling, but most importantly all of the confirmations and follow up e-mails can be used as documentation for purchase-card reimbursements or for doing those entries at the end of the month. This is an ideal and fast platform to use, and really has a very basic and easy interface. The time of use is very quick, only a minute or two if that (and that is for the first time use!).

Pros: I appreciate that this app has a very high ease of use when you utilize your phone to make reservations. Even using the online app is very user-friendly! One thing that stands out about this product compared to others is that you can select different times for your restaurant reservations; you can actually make the reservation from this product instead of just getting on a wait list or "in line" like other products. I love the follow up e-mails that they send for updates and confirmations as well!

Cons: I do wish that the restaurant you are booking would send a confirmation as well, or even that they have seen your entry. I always call JUST to be safe; even though the app sends a confirmation e-mail I like being sure; having the restaurant even send a text to confirm would be useful.

Easy Way to Make a Reservation

Reviewed on 25/02/2019
Geri C.
Retail, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We have used OpenTable when booking restaurants mainly when traveling but also occasionally when dining locally. Most of the time we don't need a reservation locally which is why we don't use it more often. When using OpenTable we get a confirmation along with a reminder the day of the reservation.

Pros: Easy way to make a reservation and also earn points which can be redeemed towards dining. Many of the restaurants we have visited offer the option of reserving through OpenTable which is helpful. You can also let them know if you're celebrating a special occasion when booking your reservation.

Cons: The only thing I didn't like is that not all restaurants are available through OpenTable but I imagine that is the fault of the restaurants not signing up for the service. If the restaurant doesn't acknowledge that you showed up for your reservation you will be contacted by OpenTable to find out why. Luckily when this happened I had the receipt from the restaurant as well as photos taken there to verify we did show up.

OpenTable

Reviewed on 24/01/2019
Lex B.
Sales Assistant
Publishing, 201-500 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Very convenient and has great features such as the map option. Makes it much easier to gauge the available restaurants around you. As an assistant, their feature that allows you to add different names for different reservations is amazing. Many competitors do not allow you to have multiple names under one account which is not helpful when you manage calendars for several executives.

Cons: It seems as though there are glitches on the restaurant side. I've had various reservations that were "cancelled" or marked as "no shows" even though I was there.

Great Way to Make Quick Reservations!

Reviewed on 25/04/2019
Corine T.
Student
Computer Software, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: My overall experiences with OpenTable have been really great. I use OpenTable fairly often, especially with restaurants that I know require a reservation because it will be pretty much impossible to get a table without one. I rely on OpenTable and I have never had a bad experience. I never needed to worry that the restaurant I chose didn't get the reservation request. It is also good about giving you alternative times if the restaurant is booked for your selected times.

Pros: I love how simple and easy to use this software is. It is so quick and you can use it at any time. They let you pick any time and any amount of people and this works for pretty much every restaurant. I also like that the software sends reminder emails and texts to you about your upcoming reservation. There is also an option to add your reservation to your calendar. OpenTable is also very reliable, so you don't need to be nervous about whether or not the restaurant actually received your reservation request, especially because you get a confirmation.

Cons: There is nothing that I dislike about this software. I don't really understand what the points are for that you get when you make a reservation. This software is free to use, so I don't really understand why anyone would need the points because it doesn't give you coupons or rewards to use at the restaurants.

Great for planning client lunches

Reviewed on 05/03/2019
Christine J.
Associate Publicist; Crown, Hogarth, and Random House
Publishing, 5,001-10,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I use OpenTable for professional purposes (i.e. booking business lunches, client meetings, etc.), and for business travel. My work often sends me to unfamiliar cities (Cincinnatti, Boise, etc.) and it's great to have an app in-hand to look up options and make reservations based on group size.

Pros: I love how intuitive and user-friendly OpenTable is. It's also easy to narrow down restaurant options by availability, neighborhood, and cuisine. The new rewards program is a phenomenal incentive, and it's great that the app can provide options while you're traveling.

Cons: Occasionally the restaurants will call to confirm or ask a question about a reservation, which can be annoying because the app should take care of that. It's not a huge hassle, but seems redundant and should theoretically be handled in the app alone. It would also be great if more restaurants that take reservations were on the app, but that's not a reflection of its function at all.

OpenTable Review

Reviewed on 09/10/2018
Kyle W.
Corporate Videographer
Automotive, 201-500 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Your restaurant needs OpenTable to help keep your restaurant running smoothly and continue to have happy and satisfied customers. No fuss and no hassle reservations.

Pros: Are you tired of having people call into your restaurant to reserve a table? Are you tired of people coming up to the host stand to inquire about where in line they are for being seated? Look no further than OpenTable. Every restaurant should be using this app for scheduling customers.

Cons: At first, the app is a little hard to navigate. But once you get a handle on it it's very easy to use.

We have been using open table for almost 2 years

Reviewed on 09/01/2018
Event Coordinator
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: new out of town guests

Pros: Out of town guests can find us on line and make a reservation. It is easy to block off time slots and make up dates as long as I have access to a desktop. But when I dont they have great customer service and I if I call they will make the changes for me.

Cons: The new app for Android is not very user friendly. I can not make reservations from it. The only thing it is good for is seeing how many covers I have.
The price per cover is a little high.

Great system for online and phone reservations

Reviewed on 12/04/2018
Jessica S.
Customer Support

Pros: I like that you can set up your tables and time slots and move things around as needed. I love that you can put notes on customers and visits. Being able to have your own personal floor plan is also a nice perk.

Cons: They send confirmation emails but there is no way for the customer to respond to the emails. I wish you could also send text reminders to customers as well for reservations and use it to notify customers on the waitlist when their table is ready.

Easy to use, many useful functions

Reviewed on 07/06/2017
Rebecca D.
Host
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: This software covers it all: taking reservations, making seating charts, organizing servers, and keeping track of wait lists. I found it incredibly easy to use after just a few days of use and am still picking up on little things here and there. It allows us to keep track of specific reservation requests, such as high chairs, outdoor seating requests, or VIP status. Customers can even make reservations online.

Cons: Sometimes the layout of the selections seems a little counter intuitive. Besides that, it is easy to use and customize for your restaurant.

by OpenTable on 07/06/2017

Hi Rebecca, thank you so much for your review! This is great feedback.

Review of OpenTable

Reviewed on 12/09/2019
Travis H.
Host
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: OpenTable is a pretty great software to use, especially for restaurants with high levels of guest traffic.

Pros: OpenTable is very user-friendly, and once you are familiar with how it works, it's incredibly intuitive in use. The display is laid out in a way that is visually appealing and makes sense.

Cons: OpenTable's table plotting suggestions aren't usually the best as they seem to be based strictly on number of covers rather than on the layout of the restaurant itself.

Basically they Own the Resevation Market

Reviewed on 19/04/2018
Anthony R.
Director of Digital Strategy
13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: If you are a restaurant Open table offers turn key marketing to increase your presence in the digital word. Track marketing initiative and covers quick and easy.

Pros: If you are a restaurant Open table offers turn key marketing to increase your presence in the digital word. Track marketing initiative and covers quick and easy.

Cons: They own the market. no one else really to go to if you dont like the platform. their fees can be a little steep but the value is worth it.