OpenTable for Restaurants Reviews

by OpenTable

• Overall
    4.7/5
    4.7/5

About OpenTable for Restaurants

Restaurant reservation management platform that helps users manage waitlists, table bookings, guests' visit history, accounts & more.

Learn more about OpenTable for Restaurants

Paulina S.
Costumer service
Food & Beverages, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/05/2020

"Quick reservation with no need to call "

Comments: Easy and convenient. Painless way to make a quick restaurant reservations without being put on hold or talking to a person. Can view manu and everything there is to know about restaurant I'm looking at online.

Pros: I have been using open table on both sides. I use it to make my personal restaurant reservations and I use it at the restaurant I work for as a server.
I love that when I view restaurants and want to make a reservation about 70% of total restaurants have open table. Its quick and painless way to make a reservation without being put on hold by a hostess..sometimes for very very long time. It give you chose of time and you can read all about the place you looking at. It shows you :hours, Entertainment, menu, you see photos that costumers posted, you see map of location, even who the chef is. Making reservation takes less then 10 seconds!!!! Fast and confident. As a worker it's very easy to operate system. Brainless I would say. I like that I can make notes for each reservation. Such a sever request or allergy.

Cons: For my personal use I never had an issue. As me working with open table every here and then reservations are not showing on my side as hostess/server. I had few angry guest. Will never know if that was a costumer fult or open table system fult for not processing reservation.

• Reviewed on 25/05/2020
Kathryn B.
Director of Sales
Hospitality, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/08/2019

"Love Open Table! "

Comments: OpenTable is wonderful, not only do they have fast and professional customer service, they're also improving the software everyday. I love that we can train our hosts quickly and use the software to make it an enjoyable dining experience for our guests.

Pros: From a sales perspective, Open Table is fantastic at making sure we have plotted the proper rooms for private events. It is constantly making suggestions and making sure we're in the right time slots for turning tables. For our FOH manangers, it is very easy to train on which makes it less time consuming in the host training process. Guest center is also a great hub to check reviews, see your seating from an app on your phone and make any changes on the go. Love the pop up function and notes section to make sure our hosts have all the information they need. OTrestaurant.com is also wonderful to make sure we have all the right marketing tools turned on and become available to our guests. It is important that our guests have an ease of use to make a reservation and with the bonus points they receive from booking on open table it is just a plus for us to use the software.

Cons: Not a con, but we would love to see Open Table integrate with private dining software to make plotting private events faster.

by OpenTable on 06/08/2019

Hi Kathryn, thanks so much for taking the time to write a review!

• Reviewed on 05/08/2019
Kelly M.
Hostess
Food & Beverages, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/06/2020

"A great reservations software for restaurants "

Comments: Everything about OpenTable for Restaurants was an experience worth remembering. I never found myself getting lost or hung up on a problem with the software and creating reservations for the guests frequenting the restaurant. It did such a fantastic job with estimating the time that a table will be sitting to eat, depending on their party size, and adjust the schedule based on this. There would be reminders and notes when this would be approaching so I could let the customers know in advance so they didn’t have to come in and get upset. It allowed us to be able to go above and beyond to ensure our guests had the four star experience they were paying for.

Pros: Where to start when it comes to the best features of the OpenTable software. First and foremost, it is incredibly simple to pick up how to use it after only a few reservations have been made, it’s that great of a system. As a front of the house team member, it allowed me to view the entire floor plan of the restaurant on screen in a visual way that made the most sense to me, which made making reservations that much easier. When it came time to create the reservation, it was a matter of clicking on the proper icon from either a view of the floor plan or a view of the timeline. You are shown an overall view of the guests names and their party size as well as given an estimated time their party will likely be sat given their past visits to the restaurant and based of the average time of a party that size.

Cons: The software version I used has since been updated several times and I’m sure anything that was missing then has been added by now. As a user for multiple years, I strongly believe that there was hardly anything I can think of that was wrong with OpenTable. It helped me complete my job efficiently and all the guests seemed to enjoy their process of using it as well.

• Reviewed on 10/06/2020
Grayson T.
General Manager
Restaurants
  • Reviewed on 25/07/2018

"Not worth it unless you are a major chain with 300 seats"

Comments: Not enough to list. Exposure, but it's limited for smaller companies.

Pros: It allows you to assign tables in the restaurant as they come in and shoes a fairly good job of tracking several metrics like turn time, server cover counts, etc. It also has ways to advertise and draw in customers who may not know about you.

Cons: It's impossible to compete. With the difficulty in finding a restaurant as a customer it translates to moe exposure for larger chain restaurants with budgets to throw at open table. Also, it's pricey. The cost per guest that books is unreasonable and you still have to pay more to advertise. It's just not worth it in my opinion. That are cheaper methods available that focus on phone number advertising as opposed to email (because who opens email nowadays). There are text message options with open table but they are buried and not effective.

• Reviewed on 25/07/2018
Megan L.
Restaurant owner
  • Reviewed on 04/10/2019

"Opentable and Venga"

Comments: I’ve been using it in every restaurant I have worked in for 13+ years. The continued evolution of the product is much appreciated.

Pros: There is so many benifits- ease of use, platform for managing reservations prior to and in the moment, it aids in generating reservations, retaining guests and collecting data. Now that there is a venga connection I’m over the moon!

Cons: Honestly the cost per reservation is a little high for small owner operated restaurants but the added benefits are unmatched.

• Reviewed on 04/10/2019
Sarah J.
Corporate Operations Director
Restaurants, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/02/2020

"Great Reservation and Seating System"

Comments: OpenTable provides a lot of functions that benefit us. From a seating system to online reservation system, it supports the flow of the restaurant. It provides features that allows us to keep up with guests requests, VIPs, referrals and even integrates with our email provider for marketing. It is a great overall tool.

Pros: It is very user friendly for guests and admins. It is easy to navigate and flows very well. Makes the experience better for everyone.

Cons: It works very well and there are not any current functions that we are looking for that is not provided.

• Reviewed on 06/02/2020
Hostess/receptionist
Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/04/2020

"Amazing way of getting more customers"

Comments: Using the Guest Center from OpenTable has improved my skills when managing large operations inside a restaurant, has widened my eyes when comes to the hospitality industry.

Pros: When a restaurant is shown on Connect platform from OpenTable their customers increase so well when they book a reservation from this tool. I think OpenTable helps tourism to go further allowing low fees from the enterprises, can it be better?

Cons: The only thing I may be worried about is the fact that a reservation gets as faster as is needed. Besides that, I think OpenTable is a great company to look at.

• Reviewed on 15/04/2020
Heather W.
Service Manager
Food & Beverages, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 02/04/2020

"Very Handy Software!"

Comments: It has most definitely made life much easier. It is simple to use, and easy enough to be fast and efficient. It won't tie up the hosts when they're adding in new parties and speaking to present customers. I love the ability to connect to guests, both in texting to let them know their table is available, and in the program's ability to add special details like Birthday or Anniversary reminders.

Pros: Open Table has been such a life saver! No more worrying about losing reservations or timing parties, everything is right at your fingertips. Its super simple to use and train, but has everything you need to run things more efficiently.

Cons: My only complaint is that I wish the tablets had a better run time. The battery life is a bit short for something that's going to be in use all day. DON'T forget to charge it over night.

• Reviewed on 02/04/2020
Stacey M.
teacher
Education Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/05/2020

"Solid Program and Useful "

Comments: This program is a time saver! It allows you to dine in nice restaurants, in big cities while avoiding waiting for a table.

Pros: I love that I can reserve tables and make my reservation ahead of time.
It's easy to use and great with updating you.
You get notifications when it's almost time to check in, notifications when table is ready, and a check in at the end.
This has been so helpful in bigger cities where wait time can be extremely long.
Plus, you can leave a note for your reservations. For example, I have requested a window seat if possible, and I have always gotten it!
I don't see why someone wouldn't use this verses standing in line!

Cons: I truly don't have anything to add in this for improvements.
It would be nice if more restaurants used this program, but that is not a program fault!

• Reviewed on 15/05/2020
Phoebe T.
Tutor/Web Designer/Restaurant Management
E-Learning, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/04/2020

"Amazing for restaurant management and customers!"

Comments: OpenTable has allowed my small business thrive in an area that is notorious for businesses closing down. Having an application like OpenTable enables my restaurant to organize what is going on at the restaurant and how we can best suit our customers for their complete satisfaction.

Pros: As a part time restaurant manager, I love being able to keep track of when my customers are reserving tables. I also enjoy making my customers’ meals special especially if it’s for a special occasion. OpenTable for Restaurants allow me to see why my customers are coming in (i.e. birthday, date, etc.) so I can best meet their needs. On their other hand, I’ve also used OpenTable as a customer. I do enjoy the design of the website and how easy it is to access. It’s compact but not too crowded and it only takes a couple of steps to reserve a table or contact someone at the restaurant!

Cons: I have no cons so far for OpenTable. I just hope that there will be a feature that allows restaurants and their customers to connect more.

• Reviewed on 14/04/2020
Aron V.
Events Coordinator
  • Reviewed on 22/08/2019

"A great tool for restaurant"

Comments: We have used them for years and would highly recommend them to small, non-corporate restaurants trying to be seen amongst so many local restaurants.

Pros: Easy for our guests to make reservations, tracks guests visits, you can enter guest notes and historical data to make their next visit more meaningful. They often have "Top Ten" lists for the categories that guests vote you in that you can use for marketing purposes. Reviews on Open Table are considered 'legit' as only real diners can write reviews.

Cons: If you have more money to spend, a program like SevenRooms has more guest tracking data capabilities for tagging and targeted emails/marketing. Can get expensive if your guests often use Open Table to make reservations.

by OpenTable on 05/09/2019

Hi Aron, thanks for taking the time to write a review! We really appreciate your recommendation. We are now able to offer very sophisticated CRM capabilities through Venga. You can learn more here: https://restaurant.opentable.com/products/venga

• Reviewed on 22/08/2019
Joshua S.
Equipment Engineer
  • Reviewed on 05/07/2018

"Very easy and great tool for booking ahead and making reservations. "

Pros: What I like most about this software is its usefulness, coupled with its simplistic yet easy layout. The options for available times and selections are very easy to read, making it very user-friendly. I also liked the way the layout also seemed to cater to touchscreen devices with larger than average digital buttons for selections. This definitely contributes to use on the go when a reservation may be needed to be made last minute. The available time suggestions closest to my desired time and date option also save me time from having to search around and find an available date and time.

Cons: There is not much I dislike about this software, but one thing that I would appreciate is in regards to desired date storage. What I mean by this is, let us say I have a date and time in mind for a reservation, and that time slot is not available, I am unable to book that timeslot. However, I am never made aware if that time slot becomes available unless I keep checking on that timeslot. It would be ideal if this software could incorporate an email alert or equivalent if a previously unavailable timeslot becomes available (due to the party originally occupying the reservation say cancels their existing reservation or if more seating becomes available) such that I can book my desired timeslot. While I realize this is more a feature I would like to see in a future update as opposed to an issue with the present software, I feel that this is something that is lacking that could be easily incorporated as a very useful user option.

• Reviewed on 05/07/2018
Jenny M.
Brand Director
Internet, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/04/2018

"I predominantly use OpenTable for all my meal reservation-making."

Comments: Easy planning, less anxiety in wondering if a restaurant will have a wait, easy searching and filtering.

Pros: What I like the most about OpenTable is its ease of use. If I know what restaurant I want to book a reservation for and they have availability, I can basically get in and get out in less than 2 minutes. THAT'S efficiency. I also like that you can customize searches by specific neighborhoods, specific occasions or ambiances (romantic vs. casual, etc.) and obviously prices. Yelp isn't a main competitor but I hate that when you search for a bar or restaurant in a certain neighborhood on Yelp the results populate many, many bars or restaurants beyond that neighborhood to satisfy the search generation. I like that OpenTable functions more explicitly and narrowly than Yelp but it MAY include some very close neighborhoods in a search query. OpenTable's trend forecasting and "places we think you'd like" are on point, too. They do a good job of assimilating restaurants into categories not just by food type but ambiance type and cost. On OpenTable, very often I'll book a reservation and then come back to check something and see that there are recommended restaurants for me that I actually already have on my personal list. It's not just like, "You picked an Italian restaurant, so we're going to recommend another Italian restaurant!". It feels more personalized and catered to me because many other factors are seemingly taken into account besides just food type.

Cons: This isn't a dig at the software specifically but I feel like some high end or modern / niche restaurants decide to host reservations on Resy instead and that tends to deter me from using OpenTable from time to time. I haven't had any issue with the OpenTable software specifically.

• Reviewed on 26/04/2018
Senior Manager, Global Experiences
  • Reviewed on 13/02/2019

"Great to make online reservations"

Comments: Overall OpenTable is a great tool to make online reservations; however, I do feel that they need to make some improvements especially regarding the reward program to make it more appealing.

Pros: I use OpenTable almost on a daily basis to make reservations for both business and personal lunches or dinners. It is very easy to use and you can book a table at a restaurant within minutes. I like that you can search restaurants by neighborhood but also by cuisine and price range. It is also very easy to cancel or modify a reservation. The app is also very convenient for any on the go need.

Cons: Their reward program is not appealing. The VIP status doesn't grant you anything. I wish they would design a program where VIP members get preferred seating, timing etc. Moreover, after you collect a certain amount of points, you get a voucher towards a future reservation; however I noticed that the selection of restaurants that accept the voucher is extremely limited. Additionally, not all restaurants are listed on OpenTable, which sometimes is not ideal

• Reviewed on 13/02/2019
Ashley M.
Consultant
  • Reviewed on 19/10/2018

"OpenTable is a great resource for keeping managing restaurant reservations"

Pros: My in-laws own a restaurant and I often help them from a technology and operations perspective. They had trouble managing their reservations. They only open for dinner, and they would spend a lot of time every day listening to Voicemail reservations, trying to get parties back on the phone to confirm, and trying to manage cancellations vs. openings with an antiquated system. When I suggested OpenTable I did not realize all of the problems I would be solving for them. OpenTable brings reservation systems into the 21st century, and allows patrons an easy way to make, change, and cancel restaurant reservations with the click of a button. For the restaurant owner or manager, it saves all of the time you use to need for follow-up, and all of the administrative management needed to handle cancellations and book optimal service volume.

Cons: There is nothing that I do not like about OpenTable for business. It has brought a lot of value to our team, and has become a major asset that we rely on to book reservations. Patrons are as happy with OpenTable as we have been in the decision to start taking reservations through them.

• Reviewed on 19/10/2018
Angela C.
Hospital & Health Care, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 02/07/2018

"Are use it all the time"

Comments: Very convenient and a great timesaver

Pros: This is an unbelievably convenient and functional product. I use it to find restaurants easily and reliably when I travel. It's much more convenient than having to call the restaurant. I can make reservations any time of the day and go back-and-forth between restaurants to compare available times. Then, after I finish making my reservation, I could send the information to the other people in my party with just one click. Because of this product, I have tried many new restaurants and in many different areas that I wouldn't have otherwise tried. And, of course, the point system gets me a coupon every so often.

Cons: My biggest complaint is with the interface. I use it as an app on my phone mostly and sometimes I have trouble finding what I'm looking for. It works much better on the desktop.

• Reviewed on 02/07/2018
Daniel C.
Managing Partner
  • Reviewed on 07/06/2019

"Easy Way to Get More Reservations"

Comments: Overall its been positive and I would recommend the product. Its pretty painless and basically runs in the background for us. I wish it would do more, and address some of my cons - confirmation for customers, give a reason for cancellations, and have a better way of notifying us of reservations, emails get missed. But I cant really complain too much about a service that is this inexpensive and puts guests in seats

Pros: Easy to Use
Painless Monthly Billing
Inexpensive, Low Cost
Helpful Dashboard

Cons: Easy to miss notifications, tends to get lost in my emails etc.
Not sure how charges work for cancelled reservations, but I regularly have out of area numbers make reservations then cancel within minutes. Hopefully not padding their numbers.
Guests have complained about not receiving confirmation of their reservations from OpenTable
I wish there was some sort of reason response with the cancellations - even if its pre-formed answers selected from a box, something that doenst require a lot of effort on customers ends

• Reviewed on 07/06/2019
Thomas B.
FOH Manager
  • Reviewed on 05/03/2020

"Perfect for small independents"

Comments: It easily allows myself as a manager and my staff to manage bookings, helps identify where tables are at, what time they need to be turned. Much better than a paper system.

Pros: Easy to use
Clear indication of bookings
Easy to make notes for specific bookings
Excellent in time management

Cons: Reduced cost from online bookings
More options to indicate where tables are at
Better automatic table allocation
(struggled to find many cons to be honest)

• Reviewed on 05/03/2020
Group Sales Manager
  • Reviewed on 27/12/2017

"Excellent program"

Pros: Exposure. But also many features to keep track of your bookings, who changed the bookings when, and history of return guests. Great customer service- you get right thru every time. Highly recommend.

Cons: I wish it would have the ability to get it on more computers without the extra cost. As a sales manager, if I could get it at home, I could work from home.

by OpenTable on 28/12/2017

Hello, thank you for taking the time to leave this thoughtful feedback! Per your comments about not being able to use your software across multiple devices or on-the-go, our latest solution GuestCenter does offer these features! If you call 1-800-OPENTABLE you can get more information about upgrading to GuestCenter and accessing those capabilities. You can also learn more on our website here: https://restaurant.opentable.com/products/guestcenter
All the best!

• Reviewed on 27/12/2017
Robert T.
Sales & Marketing Manager
Hospitality, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/09/2018

"Best SW for restaurant bookings"

Comments: Excellent product with whom we hope to be happy for many many years to come...

Pros: As we have 2 restaurants in our company, we are always looking new ways to promote them and to have less empty seats for lunch or dinner. We have found about OpenTable online, and we contacted them several years back. At that time they were only U.S. based, but last year when they spreader their network in Europe, we were the first company in our country that signed the contract with OpenTable.
Their training staff was great, introducing the system and training our staff.
As were the first users, we believe that we gain enough advantage for the time being and the fact that we were the first helped us to increase the business in our restaurant - times four....

Cons: In this part we would say the fees, but the fees are ridiculously small, we counted that we are spending or giving 2,5-3% of our revenue to OT, which is really small when you count the fact that any mediator would ask for 10%...

• Reviewed on 13/09/2018
Lauren W.
Global Giving Database Manger
Nonprofit Organization Management, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/07/2019

"OpenTable Kept Our Guests and Staff Happy"

Comments: Overall, OpenTable provided my restaurant with the ability to track guest who dined at our restaurant. It made the experience smoother for our FOH staff, especially our FOH manager and hostess.

Pros: The best thing about OpenTable is you're able to see who will be coming to your restaurant in advance. I don't necessarily mean each day (although that was great too!), but in the days prior. We were able to staff the restaurant accordingly by how many guests we were expecting. The interface was smooth and reliable on both our end and that of our guests.

Cons: There weren't many flaws with OpenTable. We had times when it wasn't updating in real time, but that may have been due to our internet capability.

• Reviewed on 23/07/2019
Charles K.
Director of Sales
Hospitality, 10,001+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/10/2018

"A must have for any serious restaurant looking to grow their business"

Comments: I used OpenTable in a previous position and it was invaluable for driving new customers and for making the reservations experience more enjoyable for customers. With a little upfront time, it was well worth the effort and investment.

Pros: OpenTable's best features are its ease of use and widespread acceptance across the customer base. Are there better restaurant platforms out there? Maybe. But customers want OpenTable, so you would be missing a major opportunity by not using their software.

Cons: The only negative is with the amount of restaurants already on the platform, it can be difficult for your restaurant to stand out. If a customer is specifically seeking your restaurant, then it's not a problem. But if they are searching 'Italian restaurants in Palm Beach', are they really going to take the time to visit your listing on page 4? Probably not.

• Reviewed on 28/10/2018
Lecturer, Researcher
Higher Education, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/09/2018

"Convenient, easy to use but minimal rewards and missing restaurants"

Comments: I use OpenTable weekly to book restaurant reservations. I love that the app is easily accessible. I have had issues with needing to book two locations within a 2.5 hr timeframe... the software does not allow this, which is inconvenient, as some of us need to use two accounts to meet our needs.

Pros: Convenient, especially with the app on mobile devices. Love the different search options (name of restaurant, location, type of food). Like that there is a reward component.

Cons: Missing a tier system! I want to be rewarded to designated as "special" for all my points... not just claim a gift card that I will use and then never see again. There should be a designation that gives frequent restaurant attendees not just point to claim and then disappear, but also to get special seating or VIP treatment in some method. Also, some restaurants do not participate in Open Table... either very private ones or certain locations for chains... inconsistent. Perhaps if Open Table offered benefits beyond the same platform for reservations, more restaurants would participate.

• Reviewed on 26/09/2018
Allison W.
Operations Manager
Hospitality, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/12/2019

"Great Product, But Self-Loyal"

Comments: Overall OpenTable works for our large restaurant, but at some point we will be pursuing ways to keep or increase cover counts at less of an expense.

Pros: OpenTable has a relatively intuitive interface and is easy to pick up. Plus, using Open Table give you access to their huge pool of users - so more potential reservations.

Cons: I don't like that OpenTable is only loyal to OpenTable, and doesn't help our restaurant create brand loyalty. If an OT user has a good experience dining with us, OT wins double because they're paid by us for the reservation, and also promote using additional OT restaurants in the future.

• Reviewed on 12/12/2019
Academic Advisor
Education Management, 10,001+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/05/2019

"Open Table: Easy to Use!"

Comments: I have realized that there are huge benefits to using this for lunches or dinners with co-workers or with candidates who are here for a meal during an interview process. This really saves time as far as working with admin assistants on scheduling, but most importantly all of the confirmations and follow up e-mails can be used as documentation for purchase-card reimbursements or for doing those entries at the end of the month. This is an ideal and fast platform to use, and really has a very basic and easy interface. The time of use is very quick, only a minute or two if that (and that is for the first time use!).

Pros: I appreciate that this app has a very high ease of use when you utilize your phone to make reservations. Even using the online app is very user-friendly! One thing that stands out about this product compared to others is that you can select different times for your restaurant reservations; you can actually make the reservation from this product instead of just getting on a wait list or "in line" like other products. I love the follow up e-mails that they send for updates and confirmations as well!

Cons: I do wish that the restaurant you are booking would send a confirmation as well, or even that they have seen your entry. I always call JUST to be safe; even though the app sends a confirmation e-mail I like being sure; having the restaurant even send a text to confirm would be useful.

• Reviewed on 31/05/2019