• Overall
    4.8 /5
    4.7 /5
    4.9 /5

About Katana

Smart, visual inventory software for scaling manufacturers. Integrates with Xero, QuickBooks, Shopify, WooCommerce, BigCommerce, Zapier

Learn more about Katana

Showing 25 reviews of 84

Founder and CEO
  • Reviewed on 05/09/2019

"I dont understand all the great reviews"

Pros: The interface is intuitive. The pricing seems okay.

Cons: This software is seriously lacking features. For all those who wrote reviews saying they love the software, I want to know what industry they work in and how they use the app. It doesnt offer very basic features. You can't bulk edit, you literally need to upload an excel sheet if you want to change several products. There are no images for your products. How does it not support images? This is basic database stuff. And currently, you can only manufacture items from one location! Who's rating this software as great?!

by Katana MRP on 30/09/2019

As a fast growing software, we understand the concerns you have with Katana. At our current development speed, all of the mentioned lacking features are made available by the end of this year. Hope you will give us another chance!

• Reviewed on 05/09/2019
Denis O.
Designer
Printing, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 31/12/2020

"Best MRP/inventory manager for small business"

Comments: Overall, I'm very happy with Katana. Even though I run a small business and the price is relatively high for me, it's still well worth it. Adding new orders is quick and simple, but more importantly, I can instantly see if I have all the required resources at hand. Even if I have a few dozen pending orders, their coloured chart makes it so easy to quickly see if there are any issues.

Pros: Very easy to use without cluttered interface. This was my biggest selling point when comparing Katana to other similar products. Everything is so well organised and easy to glance over, while still offering nearly everything that I need for myself. I also like that any changes in the inventory are immediately reflected in open orders. This is true for everything that I've used so far; as soon as I make a change in one area, it instantly reflects in all others as well.

Cons: I'm missing one feature, but it's more due to the specific nature of my business. It would be great if I could organize my inventory not just by total combined weight, but broken down into individual units as well. For example, if my order requires 500g of plastic in one piece, but I have two separate pieces of 250g each, Katana will show that I have enough resources, even though I can't fill my order since I need one unbroken piece. I've already got in touch with their support about this and they've said my request was put on their wish list, so I'm fairly confident it will eventually get implemented.

by Katana MRP on 13/01/2021

Thank you for choosing Katana!

• Reviewed on 31/12/2020
Brandon K.
Consumer Electronics, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/02/2020

"Perfect for where we're at right now"

Comments: We chose Katana after trying out a couple different MRP's which were either overly complex, over-priced, or didn't fit our needs. We've stuck with Katana based on it's ease-of-use, intuitive design, and delivery of everything we need it to do.

Pros: It's great to be able to log in on any computer without having to install software, and it's done an amazing job of keeping our inventory tidy and up-to-date. The Purchase Order generator has also made us look very professional to our suppliers. The integration with Shopify is also a huge plus to us as it prevents us from having to manually transfer Shopify orders and automatically removes all parts from the BOM from our inventory. Highly recommended!

Cons: There aren't many, if any things we've come up against yet that Katana didn't support.

by Katana MRP on 13/02/2020

• Reviewed on 09/02/2020
Jeff H.
General Manager
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/12/2020

"Most Intuitive MRP Ever"

Comments: Overall it's simple to setup, simple to use, and while not quite polished, does everything we need in a hugely user friendly way.

Pros: I was looking for a solution for seasonal manufacturing workers that we don't have time to get up to speed with some complex MRP - Kanata's UI is the most intuitive interface out of any MRP I was able to find. The ease of re-prioritising jobs, and the automatic stock refactoring is awesome, and the team are really, really responsive to feature ideas and issues. Seamless integrations with WooCommerce makes supplying orders to customers super easy.

Cons: It doesn't quite have everything we need, some of which I though we're quite base (Bin Locations, Supplier Product Codes, Purchase Orders that email directly to suppliers), but all of those have work arounds, and I'm assured are planned for future development.

by Katana MRP on 13/01/2021

Thank you for the review!

• Reviewed on 18/12/2020
Andrew D.
Techinical Director
Chemicals, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/01/2020

"A nessecary tool"

Comments: Mainly we have had a good experience, the system is updated to try and make it fit every company model.
It has helped me monitor our business and stock levels closely, you just have to make sure it is kept up to date so that it accurately reflects your current stock levels.

Pros: Helps keep track of work stock if used correctly. Updated regulary. We had an issue where there was not enough decimal places for us to input our formulas, we raised this issue and within a month it was fixed. Allows me to quickly find out a customers purchasing history and the percentage profit made per product

Cons: My only issue is that it is slightly expensive for a small company.

• Reviewed on 31/01/2020
David B.
Automotive, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/11/2019

"Katana for manufacturing"

Comments: Lots of potential Katana, it a emerging system sure it doesn't have the xero integration in play atm but like my own business Katana is also growing so I like that I have partner with a operating system that going through similar growing pains as we are. if you have a manufacturing process you wish to have better control of I recommend exploring this system.

Pros: I have been operating my business using excel, xero, monday.com and email. After searching for a system that could centralise my focus I came across Katana which in essence consolidates all the previous mentioned systems into one interface which saves me a tonne of time. secondly the customer support, I have had a lengthy skype call with Hannes who is a founder of Katana where by he provided a demo session of how the software will be suitable for my business needs. I really valued to the bespoke service which ensured I got off to the right start.

Cons: The intergration to Xero is in development but this has been the most noteable con to date, that said Katana is working on this and it should be available shortly

by Katana MRP on 14/11/2019

Thank you David for sharing your experience we are happy to grow with you!

• Reviewed on 12/11/2019
Alexander A.
Head of Technology & Logistics
Printing, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/09/2019

"Perfect choice for small manufacturing company"

Comments: We are a starting up printing company which has been looking for a fast learning curve solution to manage our manufacturing and supply chain data. Katana turned out to be a perfect match for us.

Pros: + Simplicity. Probably most intuitive specialized software I've used.
+ Price structure. Very affordable for us.
+ Customer support.

Cons: - Lack of some "nice to have features". But, it's another side of simplicity and affordability, right?

by Katana MRP on 10/09/2019

Thank you for sharing your experience with Katana!

Alejandro R.
  • Reviewed on 09/10/2019

"The software we've been searching for!"

Comments: Katana makes it easy to take our manufacturing to a new level by adding structure that will end up saving time and ultimately saving money.

Pros: Easy to use, flows and clear path to implementation.

Cons: Would like to see Multi-languages and currency options.

by Katana MRP on 10/10/2019

• Reviewed on 09/10/2019
Robert D.
Managing Director
Chemicals, 2-10 Employees

"Easy To Use"

Comments: Before Katana we had our inventory and orders etc in different spreadsheets and systems. we where always miscalculating what stock we had and had to double and some times triple entry on all. we discovered Katana and now its all in the one system that is easy to use.

Pros: it is very simple to use and helpful to have all the information in the one spot

Cons: i cannot think of anything that i did not like

by Katana MRP on 22/01/2020

Thank you for the feedback and kind words!

Robert M.

"Katana"

Comments: Workflow was a problem for us as was keeping track of raw materials - Katana solved both of these on day one!

Pros: The ease of setup to a non-ERP user was great and support team always willing to help

Cons: Minor enhancements like customising documents produced and report Paramus/filters neon saved

by Katana MRP on 23/01/2020

Paolo R.
Operations Manager
Food Production, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/05/2020

"Break through"

Comments: Initially had bumps when I was setting it up, but overall once you immerse yourself within the software. It's relatively easy to use and I thank all the customer service representative that extended their help to me.

Pros: The software is fairly easier to use as compared to other providers. It's pretty straight forward and the booking system gives us an immediate glimpse of our current production status. Customer service is also excellent!

Cons: The company behind Katana is relatively new, so there are still a lot more features that they can add but I know they have been working on them! Would love to have access control options feature.

• Reviewed on 15/05/2020
Thomas H.
Textiles, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/12/2020

"A good support"

Pros: We use Katana everyday to track our supply flows through different warehouses and to get the average value in stock. Once the main integration is made it is easy to use.
Katana team members were always available to help us through this process and still are when needed.

Cons: Our use of Katana is limited since we are not handling our production ourselves, so we don't use all the functions available and have to adjust the features to our business. Small changes like adjusting the interface according to the daily customer needs would be a real bonus.

by Katana MRP on 28/12/2020

Thank you for your feedback!

• Reviewed on 17/12/2020
Charmayne I.
Customer Service Manager
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/01/2020

"As Described, Easy to Use"

Pros: Product is as described, mostly. Easy to use. Has made a big difference in sorting orders and tracking inventory. Reasonably priced for a small business. There is a lot to the software program, and we are still learning, but customer service is always available to assist in answering any questions, and so far each employee that has used it, agrees that it is easy to navigate through.

Cons: Lacking a few features but they are expanding and often adding new features.

by Katana MRP on 10/02/2020

THank you for the support!

• Reviewed on 30/01/2020
Philippe F.
IT Manager
Luxury Goods & Jewelry, 11-50 Employees

"Katana does the job"

Comments: With Katana, I could implement all our very special "recipes" we use to create our products as well as easily manage our inventory of raw materials as well as finished goods. The integration is seamless with Shopify, which is what we needed. Very good product!!

Pros: All the features I need to manage our manufacturing and inventory for our Shopify stores is in this app ! Easy to use.

Cons: It is a bit slow at times and the creation of product recipes is a lengthy process.

by Katana MRP on 22/01/2020

Israel S.
Food & Beverages, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 06/02/2020

"Amazing Product, Solid Support Team"

Pros: Katana has been an important integration for streamlining our business processes from purchase orders to manufacturing and inventory. The support team provides prompt responses and work to integrate requests as best as possible.

Cons: Katana is always integrating more requests each day. One of the things we await is the ability to update our accounting software with inventory from raw to finished goods.

by Katana MRP on 10/02/2020

Thank you for your feedback!

• Reviewed on 06/02/2020

• Reviewed on 23/08/2018
Samantha W.
Warehouse Manager

"Highly Recommend!"

Comments: We love it. We use this app to help with our growing business. It has made it so easy to keep up with reordering and be able to manage inventory between two stores! The Katana team makes it so easy to use and offer a lot of help! Highly recommend!

Pros: Ease of Use
Easy Implementation
Reorder Options

Cons: I wouldn't say this is a con- but we are really excited for the bar code scanning option they plan to roll out in 2021!

by Katana MRP on 28/12/2020

Thank you for your review! We are excited to have you as a customer.

David A.
  • Reviewed on 18/06/2020

"Just what I needed"

Comments: Overall I have been very pleased. I know have a solid grasp of my inventory and am informed when I need to reorder materials. This has been a real game changer for my business and has allowed us to scale our manufacturing.

Pros: Katana integrates with my Shopify Site very easily and makes bundling products on my Shopify so much easier to track. We also make candles and kits in house. Katana makes tracking inventory so much easier allowing me to know without guess or counting my materials how much of any particular object I can produce at any given time.

Cons: It would be nice if there were barcodes, but I hear feature is coming soon. It would also be nice if I sell out of an object that is apart of a bundle that it would then make the bundle unavailable on my shopify site. I believe this is also in the works.

by Katana MRP on 21/07/2020

Thank you for the review! Indeed, both mentioned features are on our roadmap.

• Reviewed on 18/06/2020
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, Self Employed

"Great Inventory Software"

Comments: Knowing the real numbers of what I have in stock, what I need to order, how much it will cost me, and how much profit I will accrue is essential for making it to next year. In Katana, these figures are easy to find and keep up with. If I have a question, support is quick to respond and helpful. They are a great company to deal with!

Pros: The simple progression from Items to Buy, Make, and Stock to Sell makes it easy for me to maintain best practices in tracking my inventory. The flexibility in making stock adjustments made transitioning easy from confusions in my previous software into an ongoing accounting of what I have. Likewise, integrating with Shopify and Quicken was seamless.

Cons: A more complete inclusion of customer information from Shopify would be useful.

by Katana MRP on 02/06/2020

Thank you for the support!

Kelsey K.
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees

"Lifechanging"

Comments: We make to order and we make to stock. We make standardized products and we also make private label custom products. Katana is the first platform I have found that supports what we do while also being affordable for a new business.

Pros: Katana delivers a lot of value. It fully covers my MRP needs while being affordable to a scaling business.

Cons: I would also like an option to dropship the products that I make for clients and I don't see a way to do that.

by Katana MRP on 02/06/2020

Thank you for the feedback and support!

Kyle L.
MRP/owner
  • Reviewed on 16/12/2020

"Great MRP tool, some flaws but very responsive and receptive customer service and dev team"

Comments: Great MRP for small manufacturers. I find that Katana saves a lot of time and makes it easy to track inventory. Saves me many "counting" trips to different locations.

Pros: Super easy to use, pricing is more clear and streamlined than when we started. Support is great; not always the quickest but 1-2 days usually gets us a thorough and well covered answer to our questions. You can send them suggestions and they will tally in to their dev schedule. Saves a lot of time and nice to be able to access it from any computer.

Cons: There currently (2020) is no option to add fixed costs to POs. This makes tracking cost of inventory a little tougher. I also cannot edit PO templates. Having these features would make cost tracking and insurance claims easier. There is also no support for contractor per unit manufacturing but a simple way to get around this would be to set contractor tasks and payment by the hour and make each unit take 1 hour to finish. This does though make it difficult to track time if you need to track how long production will take. Fortunately we have a good idea of how long something will take without the help of Katana.

by Katana MRP on 28/12/2020

Thank you for your feedback and glad to see you are getting value from Katana. We have also noted down your suggestions.

Danielle D.
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/01/2020

"Helped Us Take Our Business to the Next Level"

Pros: Clean interface, well organized and thought out and modern in its features. Integrates well with lots of other software I use, including Quickbooks and Shopify. Customer service is absolutely top notch, and the tutorials are very helpful.

Cons: If you have zero experience with MRPs like I did, it may take you a little while to figure everything out. But the customer service team really goes above and beyond to answer any questions and walk you through anything you're having issues with. If there was one feature I wish was available that is not currently, it's barcode scanner integration. That would make updating my inventory and adding new knives to inventory much easier.

by Katana MRP on 30/01/2020

Thank you for the review and support! We are surely working on enabling barcode scanning soon.

• Reviewed on 27/01/2020
Shawn L.
Owner/ Head of Operations
Food Production, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/09/2019

"Inventory and Sales Simplified"

Comments: Excellent. Everything about using Katana has been great. The team there walked me through the product and helped me set it up. They answer questions quickly and personally. The product is as-described and thoroughly game-changing for my business. There is strong value, we have much less waste and mistakes in our ordering now.

Pros: I love the deep inventory tracking and that it feels like a modern app. Inventory software is typically painful to use, and Katana is a breeze. I love that Shopify sales are automatically imported and function live with Shopify, so when you fulfil an order in Shopify it automatically fulfils it in Katana. The Quickbooks integration makes generating invoices simple. You only have to do things once when you use Katana, there's no need to fill in the same info in different services over and over. Tracking inventory in Katana in multiple locations, and being able to include the ingredients of each product in the tracking is also a plus.

Cons: When creating purchase orders, it can generate a Bill in Quickbooks. This is helpful, however I'd love to be able to create a Purchase Order in QB so that I can simply track them all.

by Katana MRP on 10/09/2019

Glad to hear your feedback on Katana! Let's keep on growing together!

Gaz R.
Co-Founder
  • Reviewed on 28/06/2018

"I learned this product by using it; few hints from the online help. I decided on day one to keep it"

Comments: I can now run my business without spreadsheet hell. I can actually make more product. This is not an exaggeration. I was stressed before using this software. I actually could not work out what I needed to order to satisfy our production demands.

Pros: It answers my questions easily, what purchase orders do I need to make to satisfy the orders I have coming in. What should I work on next and when will it be ready for the customer! I can see delays in deliveries and the effect on production. It manages very complex bill of materials for our vast number of products. and it does so with a user experience that is simple and easy.

Cons: Where there has been anything I didn't like about the software, I chat instantly to the development team and they listen, they come back to me with an instant work around; then in the longer term they have provided updates that fix the problem. They are an adorable bunch of people and really want to make this work for our busy little workshop.

by Katana MRP on 09/09/2019

Thank you Gaz for all the support!

• Reviewed on 28/06/2018
Julie M.
Production Manager
  • Reviewed on 22/01/2020

"Easy to use, helps tremendously with inventory management."

Comments: Inventory management, orders, sales, everything in general.

Pros: The dashboard is simple to understand and use. It makes purchases, sells, orders so much easier to manage. The team behind Katana is exceptional. They are quick to answer and always ready to help. Integration from shopify was easy.

Cons: The length of time it took to setup in the beginning because the app was lacking a unit conversion which they have since fixed.

by Katana MRP on 23/01/2020

THank you for the feedback and happy to hear Katana has made business-life so much more easier for you!