15 years helping British businesses

About Bitly

Link management solution that helps businesses create branded links for digital marketing campaigns through link shortening.

Learn more about Bitly

Pros:

It is easy to use and can be integrated with many other products or software. It has link clicks analytical features which help me to know the number of people that clicked my link and their country.

Cons:

My only complaint is when my personalized URL is already taken. There are a lot of schools that have the same name as mine.

Bitly ratings

4.8
4.4
4.6
4.6

9.1/10

Bitly has an overall rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars based on 1,279 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Bitly before?

Filter reviews (1,279)

Nadish
Nadish
Senior Animator in Pakistan
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Bitly is the best url shortly shortening service even with free account

Comments: I used to use another url shortening service, but then I found Bitly and registered my account there. One day I faced some technical issues with the previous service and I decided to try Bitly. And trust me, I was amazed to find it very user friendly. Bitly has become more user friendly and powerful if we compare it from the past 2 years when I started using it. I'm 100% satisfied with Bitly, thanks to Bitly team for providing such a brilliant service. :)

Pros:

I love Bitly because it's providing very useful tools like integrating UTM link features, official WordPress plugin and link tracking features even on Free accounts. :)

Cons:

The least that I like about Bitly is that I cannot use my custom domain with free account :(

Eliud
SHE Manager in Germany
Consumer Services, 10,000+ Employees

Bitly keeps links neat and scalable. BEST.

Comments: Amazing experience. Choosing Bitly is choosing a good way to handle links and URLs. It is worth paying for.

Pros:

Bitly have a smart dashboard. Intuitive and beautiful results which are so far unquestionable. It has the best URL shortening tactics with analytics at all levels. Links are made beautiful to handle and professional to share. It has kept my posts clean and desirable. The most amazing thing about Bitly is that even on free trial, you can access the bigger part of its services. Good work.

Cons:

Absolutely love it. No cons for Bitly. It is amazing.

Caio
CEO in Brazil
Computer Software, Self Employed

Bitly is great for creating and managing short links

Comments: My overall experience using Bitly is great, I've been using it for years now and it works fine, it is a great tool, I recommend it.

Pros:

I like bitly because it is very simple, fast and easy to use. Whenever I have a big link I want to share on my social networks I go to bitly to make it shorter plus track analytics about who is clicking the link

Cons:

Wish I could keep the short link and change the destination URL, but I guess hit might be a premium feature

Gaurav
Senior Web Analyst in US
Food & Beverages, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Intuitive URL Shortening Tool with Analytics

Comments: I use Bitly software to solve the business problem of shortening the product or category landing page links, tracking their clicks and eventually, use those insights to optimize customer experience and drive higher sales by reducing user experience or content issues. For example: if a customer engages with our voice assistant tool to shop and is not able to find a product on our website, we want to help that customer using an auto generated link to that product and track if clicking that link made that customer more satisfied. So, benefit of Bitly is it improves customer engagement through shortened landing page links and allows us to track their experience on our site. Hence, helping us improve ROI of our online business.

Pros:

I use Bitly software to shorten product and category links which have Google Analytics tracking tags appended to them. So, when the marketing team includes those links in chatbot, customers see a shortened version of the links with the tags hidden. This strategy ensures links are user friendly. And at the same time, enabled for tracking so I can report on which link drove the most clicks as well as who those engaged customers were. Ultimately, using Bitly allows my marketing team to improve customer engagement and retarget those customers to drive higher conversions - a simple recipe for success. I also use Bitly analytics if for some reason Google Analytics UTM tags don't work. So, a nice backup plan.

Cons:

Couple of Bitly features are needing improvement. First, the ability to customize the landing page website link I am trying to shorten and include in chatbot. So, instead of showing a random string of characters in the shortened link, I would like to show a name of the page title clarifying what product or category that page is about. I feel this feature would drive higher click-through rate from customers who see that custom link. Secondly, the ability to integrate Bitly click analytics with UTM session activity and customer id. So, I can see an end-to-end experience of customers from link click to landing to buying a product or researching it. These holistic insights would help my marketing team to improve design and content.

Tammy
Director in US
Fine Art, 2–10 Employees

Bitly - so easy to use!

Comments: So easy to use and manage. It is a very positive experience.

Pros:

The ease of use of Bitly keeps us using this program over and over.

Cons:

Cannot delete links you no longer use without upgrading.

Justin
Teacher in US
Primary/Secondary Education, 51–200 Employees

Bitly is great for shrtng web links

Pros:

I like how easy it is to use this product to shorten links, especially now that several other similar sites not longer offer this feature.

Cons:

There's nothing at this time that I dislike about the service it provides.

Tydie
Founder in US
E-Learning, Self Employed

Don't Even Know of Another Link Customizer! They're THE Link Customizer!

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

I really like how easy it is to use bitly to shorten and create customized links. It is my go to for my business. It allowed me to keep track of different challenges I did with my audience and email list. Everything linked back to a landing page with a super long URL, but bitly made it short and professional.

Cons:

Nothing! Bitly worked exactly how I needed it to for my business needs.

Christin
Teacher in US
Education Management, 51–200 Employees

Sharing with Families

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

We love using Bitly at our school. As we are creating graphics and flyers to send to our families, we always use bitly to shorten our links. This makes accessing websites and resources so much easier for our students’ families!

Cons:

Bitly does only allow a few free uses per month, but this is still a deal if you are only creating a few links per month.

Gary
Owner in Canada
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Reliable Choice for URL Shortener

4.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Product is easy to set up and use for non-technical people.

Cons:

I had no major issues with using this service.

Jamie
Graphic Designer in US
Design, Self Employed

Fantastic tool to clean up long links

5.0 last month New

Pros:

Bitly creates an easy solution for customer links. It's clean and makes my product listings look more professional.

Cons:

I feel like the Bitly interface has gotten visually more confusing, but still certainly easy enough to navigate.

Package/Freight Delivery, 2–10 Employees

Bitly is the simple go-to for all your link-related needs

Comments: Besides working in the package/shipping industry from home, in my spare time, I do a lot of art and photography projects, with many other things in between. I love how I can use Bitly to shorten any link I need to use with the ease of just a couple of clicks. Bitly's simple, user-friendly software makes sharing things that are important to me, as well as profiting from links the easiest task of my day. They provide relevant, real-time analytics, enabling me to get the best statistics quickly and adapt accordingly.
If you don't have a lot of time, or you consider yourself somewhat new to using software related to everything about links, I would definitely recommend trying Bitly's free plan to see how it can work for you.

Pros:

What I enjoy the most about Bitly, is their pricing options. Bitly has subscription options available to meet anybody's needs. They have a variety of tools that come with each of their plans to help you succeed no matter what your needs are. With everything from a FREE subscription to a Basic plan, a Premium plan, or their conveniently customizable Enterprise plan, Bitly makes sure there are enough options available for everyone.

Cons:

I was not too fond of the jump between their Basic plan and their Premium plan. The Basic plan they offer costs an affordable $29/month, securing a handful of great features. Then the price for a Premium plan jumps all the way up to $199/month! That is a huge spike in my opinion. You do get everything the Basic plan offers, plus advanced analytics, campaigns, UTM builder, mobile deep links, and the ability to integrate with 1k+ apps. Yes, this is a lot of great features. However, for the monthly price, the user must make sure that they're able to make a consistent and significant profit utilizing these tools.

Executive Director in US
Broadcast Media, 2–10 Employees

Been using Bitly for years for a reason

Comments: Overall, the analytics are wonderful with bitly and have been a great commodity to me with clients. The only downside is that some of the links you really want may be taken since it's such a popular program. But that may be where the paid version of Bitly may come in handy.

Pros:

I began using Bitly roughly 6-7 years ago to help me with my social media management. It was at a time where link shorteners were only known by a select few, so Bitly gave me a cutting edge. Well, all of these years later and I still use it because the analytics are so much better and the link shortener allows me to easily capitalize every first word in the shortlink i.e.: Bitly://ILoveBrownies versus bitly://ilovebrownies. I know the caps may not seem like a big deal, but I have another link shortener I pay for that just will not do this...and I notice the difference in my CTR with the caps versus the all lowercase letters. Also as I mentioned, I'm using the free version of Bitly, yet it's superior in analytics to the link shortener that I paid for. It's really helped me with backing up data and metrics with my clients.

Cons:

Since so many people use bitly versus other competitors, some of the custom links you want may already be taken.

Paul
Ecommerce Business Owner in UK
Retail, Self Employed

easiest link shortener tool with great analytics

Pros:

I've been using Bitly for the last three years now and haven't found a better link shortening tool. It's very easy to use, has a clean interface, and has all the analytics I need right there in one place. I can tell whether my links are going viral or not just by looking at the analytics. Bitly is a great tool and I love it!

Cons:

bitly has been amazing so far, so no cons for this tool

Rohan
Cybersecurity Officer in US
Education Management, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Amazing for URL Sharing

Pros:

When shortening a link with random characters, it makes it very short, so any subsequent QR codes are simple and not very complex. Complex QR codes are harder to scan.

Cons:

No way to make multiple accounts part of an organization without going with the enterprise option.

Oscar
Oscar
Researcher in Mexico
E-Learning, 2–10 Employees

They need a intermediate plan!

Comments: In the Free and Basic Bitly outstands every alternative, but the Premium Plan is just to High.

Pros:

Bitly is a useful tool. It shortens your own url, but also help you shorten any other url. If you don't have any place to host a database, bitly can do it for you. Also they give you from basic to advanced analytics, that help you track your own links, this is great for many purposes.

Cons:

It needs definitely an intermediate plan. The Basic plan ($29usd/month) is great for almost everyone that really needs a powerfull Bitly. But Some features on the Premium are not as important for many of us, but they charge the full plan. For example, we do not need QR Codes or Advanced analytics and Campaings, but we really want to use the UTM Builder , but we just won't suscribe to the Premium plan ($199usd/month) just for that.

Rafael
Rafael
Undergraduate Finalist Student in Portugal
Higher Education, 201–500 Employees

A must-have tool for URL shortening and analytics

Comments: Overall, my experience with Bitly is great, as it is the main platform I use for shorten URL links.
I am using the free account and the features offered on this version are very accessible and reliable.
The value-for-money is just perfect and the possibility to customize links is indeed a must!
The statistics and analytics offered by this very software are amazing and it is a great digital marketing tool.
For these many reasons, Bitly has my confidence and I can easily recommend it to any individual.

Pros:

What I like the most about Bitly is the possibility to customize shorten URLs and to track all the statistics and analytics of these very URLs, such as the source of the clicks, their timing and many more. Even with the free account, there are lot of features easily accessible on this software. Bitly is indeed an amazing digital marketing tool, if used properly.

Cons:

What I like the least about this software is, in fact, the dashboard's layout: I consider it could be even more intuitive, accessible and easy to use. Another thing I would like to see implemented is the possibility to edit a link after it is published. Sometimes mistakes can happen and it would be great to solve them by just editing the shortened link. Other than that, I have no more negative points to mention about this very software.

Anant
Manager in India
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Your go to link shortening service!

Comments: Bitly is the best alternative to goo.gl that we have found. We have been using it regularly since over 2 years. I will surely recommend it to everyone. The free plan is mostly enough.

Pros:

We used to have goo.gl as our link shortening service, and after its shut down, we moved over to Bitly. - Just put in your link and it will generate a new short link, its that easy. - Link customization! Its one of the best features of this service. - Top notch analytics provided by Bitly, organized and modern clean interface. - You can use your own short domain with Bitly, this is a very unique service that we surely will use in the near future.

Cons:

There are a lot of limitations in the free plan. Even the basic plan is a little limiting. The cost is very high at $300 a month, the monthly Premium package is too expensive. There are often glitches here and there.

Tina
Author in Romania
Publishing, 2–10 Employees

Very useful link shortener

Comments: I use Bitly both to shorten links and to keep track of the clicks I get. It's an awesome tool. I'm really glad it exists.

Pros:

It's super easy to sign up for a free account and start making your long links short. It's also awesome that you can customize the back half of the link so that people have an idea where your short link will lead them to. It's also awesome that it keeps track of the number of clicks your links had, and it also shows from what country the clicks were from. The paid version offers plenty of good features like customizing the first half of the short link or changing the landing page for certain links.

Cons:

The customization of the back half of the link is case-sensitive, so if you make a link with a capital letter and then you share with people, say, offline, on printed promotional material, then some people who don't enter the link with the capital letter will not land on your desired landing page. But it's not a big deal. The solution is easy if you keep the links lower case. The number of clicks doesn't show how many clicks were made by the same person. I also wish they had some features that were available as a one-time payment not recurring monthly.

Faigie
Managing Director in US
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

A Must-Have in any marketers toolbox

Comments: Bitly is a 'Must-Have' in any marketers toolbox. We've been using Bitly for quite a number of years now. Its super simple for even an entry-level team member to manage. Being able to brand our links with custom extensions and tags has been a huge value to our marketing team. We've created so many custom urls and are easily able to share and track them. With Bitly we can keep our links short, trackable, and looking great!

Pros:

What I like most about Bitly is its absolute simplicity. As a marketer, I use Bitly on a constant basis to shorten and also track our content. I also love the custom link aspect, as I can 'brand' my links, and file them for access as needed. Best link shortening tool... and I've tried many!

Cons:

Integration to our existing solutions was simple, and the chrome extension is perfect. It's a simple platform, but that's what we love about it.

Daniel
Daniel
Administrative Officer in Ghana
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 501–1,000 Employees

Perfect tool for link shortening and tracking.

Comments: Bitly makes link shortening and management very fast and easy as it enables my team to share important and tidy links among ourselves at work. It also comes as a great help for my affiliate marketing business as I am able to share referral links and track them at thesame time.

Pros:

Not only is bitly great for shortening links it also provides the additional feature of tracking the number of clicks the link generates. At work bitly is used among my team to shorten and share links pertaining to work among ourselves. This is great as undesirably long links are shortened to give them a neat nature. Personally as an affiliate marketer on the side I use bitly to refer products to people and track the number of clicks I get from my referrals.

Cons:

The free version of bitly has very minimal features as compared to the paid versions. As a result if you want extra features like branded links, bulk link shortening and advanced analytics you would need to get the paid the versions.

Varsha
Varsha
Community Manager in India
Arts & Crafts, 2–10 Employees

Easy Short URL's & Track Also

Comments: The overall experience of bitly is really great to use and share with other people too. In my professional experience on daily basis we have to share many online content and keep records. We prefer to use bitly to create short urls to share and keep it in xls sheet.

Pros:

I love this tool because it gives amazing facility and services to create short URL's with tracking feature to know how it has been performed and where it has been clicked mostly.

Cons:

I don't like the Limitation in free version or a price of starter pack - the price could be a bit less for startups. So we can also avail the other great features like branded links, branded link redirects.

Alberto
IT Engineer in Italy
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

URL shortener made it easy

Comments: My experience with Bitly has been good, but the pricing model has to be updated to satisfy small users' necessities.

Pros:

Bitly is a powerful and easy tool to use. The free version is already enough for base users, but it doesn't offer flexibility like the premium one. I like the capability to personalize each link and have real-time analytics feedback in the premium version. Moreover, I can connect Bitly with third-party apps for boosting productivity.

Cons:

One of the main cons of Bitly is the price for the basic premium version. Even the amount of links that can be created is limited to just 1.5k. It would be great to have a different pricing level based on the number of links that can be created.

malak
social services in Egypt
Human Resources, 2–10 Employees

my review for bitly

Comments: From my experience with bitly, it is one of the best link shortening sites ever, for its ease of use and good quality

Pros:

What I like most about the bitly website and application is ease of use, increased productivity, and improved appearance of links in order to attract user attention.

Cons:

What I saw of the negatives is that it also remains a link shortening site, which seems bad for communication sites such as Facebook and reddit, so from my personal point of view the most negative point is that it is not good to use in all sites, but this does not prevent it from being one of the best link shortening sites on the Internet

Dayna
Dayna
Owner/Opeator in US
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Bitly makes web address more attractive and easier to trend!

Comments: Using Bitly has been a great experience!

Pros:

I love how this software condenses a long web address into a much more convenient link. The shorter the better and the easier to publicize. I love that the software is free, easy to use, and keeps track of all of my created Bitly links. I can reuse links instead of recreating them, bettering the analytical data.

Cons:

I dislike that sometimes the link drops off and you have to recreate or reattach it in order for it to work. However, I think that glitch will be solve and doesn't occur that often.

Tracy
owner in US
Internet, 2–10 Employees

no more long ugly links

Comments: i use short links evey day i find they look better than most long links and saves space on social media posts that have a limit , some links you convert to short links do state who the link is for such as ebay or amzon but not all i like to let readers know the links are fine to click but not everyone wants to click a short link that doesnt show a preview. the dashboard is simple to read and use i like to track how many clicks a link gets in a day and can with bitly which lets me know if a product link is good or bad

Pros:

short links great for social media ability to customize links track clicks on links with ease hen logged into your account

Cons:

you can only make so many links each day as a free user if you plan to make more than 50 links a day best get a paid one