ScaleGrid for Startups

Reviewed on 17/12/2018
James D.
Chief Technology Officer
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: As the CTO of an Ad Tech startup which is currently disrupting the broadcast and broadband marketing industry, I truly appreciate how ScaleGrid is helping us rapidly grow and scale our cutting edge platform (advocado.media). ScaleGrid streamlines the MongoDB dev ops and allows us to focus on building out the business critical features that are driving the growth of our platform.

Pros: The ease of use was fantastic! The dev ops that goes into setting up scalable and redundant MongoDB clusters in Microsoft Azure is fairly daunting, but ScaleGrid automates 95% of that! They also make it very easy to switch from Azure to AWS, an initiative of ours which is currently underway. We are also currently implementing a sharding solution for improved horizontal scalability and ScaleGrid has made that process much easier to manage as well.

Cons: There is not much to not like about ScaleGrid. My biggest complaint is the lack of multi user account with groups and access controls, this forces us to use a single login to manage our ScaleGrid instances, which is not ideal. I think the monitoring metrics are in a pretty good place now but could be improved to be more on par with what you get from a more mature platform like AWS RDS for example.

A good overall solution, especially if you bring your own credits

Reviewed on 14/02/2019
Shikhir A.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Fast and attentive customer service, absolutely no complaints there. Discounts for start-ups and bringing your own credits are unique features, and ScaleGrid pushes this option - which is good if you have credits and plan to use a cloud like AWS: certainly worth using, as you still retain full control over your instance. In our use case we really needed Postgres, so still waiting for that, but overall we are pleased with the customer service and general product that ScaleGrid offers!

Pros: The "Bring your Own Cloud" is pretty intuitive and the very strong (90%+) start-up discounts make it a no-brainer if you go that route; the interface makes it easier to manage deployments when they're supported. Fast and friendly customer service - well above average for sure!

Cons: - Not so much a con, but Postgres (which we were told was to be in beta a while ago) still doesn't seem to be an option yet. This was something we hoped to use ScaleGrid for.
- Again, less of a con and more of a remark: Bring your Cloud is great (if you have the credits and plan to rely on that cloud), but - as is usually the case with these things - it could use faster versioning (though this is often tied to the upstream cloud though, so I wouldn't put too much emphasis on it).

ScaleGrid makes running a resilient MongoDB cluster easy

Reviewed on 18/05/2018
Andrew R.
Co-Founder
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Easy to implement and run database operations.

Pros: ScaleGrid is easy to use and helps take the complexity out of running and maintaining a resilient MongoDB cluster. We like the ability to Bring [Y]Our Own Cloud because we want to keep as much control over our data as possible such as in which jurisdiction it is stored, and how it is secured. The fact that we can use our own cloud account and private subnets in multiple Availability Zones increases the security and resilience of our database operations. Security features such as access controls, data at rest encryption and data in transit encryption are easy to enable. Operational duties like backup are easy to setup and tailor to suit. We also expect that leveraging ScaleGrid will help manage the performance, maintenance and growth/scaling of our database operations into the future.

Cons: We'd like ScaleGrid to think about making its management system available in [Y]Our Own Cloud so that the agents don't have a need to connect and report externally. We don't need it now, but we expect we may need in the future.

Setup and run several MongoDBs using the service. Setup is simple and support is very helpful.

Reviewed on 30/04/2018
Cliff D.
IT Manager
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Saved us time and money. It never went down. It always worked !

Pros: I've been using this service for over 3 years and never had any issue with it. The service is super solid and has saved me a lot of time when managing and setting up Mongo databases. I originally started using this services for dev work but I quickly made the transition to also run my production workload. The services makes it super simple to get up and running in a few minutes. They abstract out a lot of the pain points when managing a Mongo DB. The services handles my backups so I dont' have to ever think about it. Also, you can see the machines and get root access to them in case you need to really get under the hood. Support is great I love the chat feature. They will go beyond their scope and help you with unique situations. They really helped my clone a bunch of databases and saved me a lot of time.

Cons: Very little is not to like. At times features can be a little buried in the software. However, I was on the service since the start and they have always made things better with time.

ScaleGrid makes it easy to run secure, managed, and scalable Mongo infrastructure.

Director, Technology Operations
201-500 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We were able to significantly reduce our time to market by using ScaleGrid. Once we did launch we reduced our need for a dedicated Mongo DBA which effectively paid for the cost of the service.

Pros: Easy to use web console. Flexible security options. Responsive support team. That combination of pros really made it easy to roll out the product in our test, stage, and production environments. Once it was rolled out, on-going administration with just as easy.

Cons: Web console is limited to a single user account. We have been told multiple accounts is in the development schedule.

Customer for many years, excellent service and customer support

Silke J.
Customer Support

Pros: Software delivers what I need, and the support is prompt and professional. The service runs very stable, and whenever there was an issue or I needed support, I was promptly given it.

Cons: There is nothing I don't like about the product. I can only recommend it and we are absolutely happy with all aspects of the service.

I have to come to rely on the stability and support that Scalegrid have provided

Reviewed on 30/04/2018
Chief Technology Officer
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Scalegrid has always been there to support any needs we have and the software just works. We have several collections with millions of records and there is never an issue.

Cons: There is nothing I would change about this product. It is great. The UI/UX is done well and the site is always performant.

Easy to set up, is always up and available. ScaleGrid has been great for our company.

Reviewed on 28/04/2018
Quentin M.
Customer Support

Pros: Very easy to set up and SSL was simple to add. We have had no unexpected outages with ScaleGrid and the price point is perfect for our company.

Cons: ScaleGrid satisfies everything that we currently require from a MongoDB host. I have not come across anything that I dislike yet.

Ease of management and monitoring for start up

Reviewed on 13/02/2019
Ernest C.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Having been using Scalegrid for a few weeks, I am quite satisfied with the overall experience.

Pros: As a startup, we use Redis, Mongodb and Mysql extensively in our projects but we do not have dedicated resources for database administration. Scalegrid allows us to focus on developing features that align with our business priorities, rather than the mundane system admin work. We can centrally monitor all our databases in one console and better yet, have all of them hosted on our own AWS account.

Cons: Companies like ours outsource to a managed solution because we don't have the necessary resources and skills to manage these databases professionally. It would be help to add more expert advise and best practice and knowledge sharing throughout the console to guide us to the best practice management. For example, what should we be worried about, key metrics and why is that important. An AI bot in the console would be nice.

Great, hassle free solution for our MongoDB need

Truong T.
Founder/CEO
Retail, 13-50 Employees
Customer Support

Pros: Ease of use, hassle free. The support team is also very responsive with questions from our engineering team.

Cons: Nothing to be complained about at the moment, it's a fully hosted solution so we don't have to worry about anything.

Worth for Money, Quick response from support

Shankar S.
DevopsEngineer
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: BYOC, easy accessible GUI, Reports to filter out slow and un-indexed queries.
Built in alert rules are more than enough to notify any issues. quick response from support.

Cons: Weekly digest email of performance hits, improvements and how we can remediate would be much useful for production databases. can reduce the cost.

Scalegrid is a great MongoDB hosting solution

Reviewed on 11/12/2018
Eli S.
Full-stack Developer
Entertainment, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We chose Scalegrid because it allowed us to deploy MongoDB clusters in our own AWS cloud, letting us use our AWS credits towards our instances. Importing our existing data was painless, and Scalegrid's console makes it very easy for us to manage and monitor our clusters. Their support team has also been very helpful and quick to respond whenever we've had any questions.

Pros: Scalegrid is one of the few hosting providers we found that allowed us to deploy MongoDB instances in our own AWS cloud. The Scalegrid console provides many useful tools that help to simplify our database management, including scheduled backups and slow query analysis. Deploying a new MongoDB cluster is easy and their support team is quick to respond to issues.

Cons: Certain tasks, such as scaling down a cluster, cannot be performed from the Scalegrid console and must be done by contacting their support team.

ScaleGrid fills a lack of AWS and offers an easy way to manage our cluster mongo

Reviewed on 28/04/2018
51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: 1/ Deployment on our own AWS account
2/ On-demand scaling (already tested twice on production)
3/ Automatic backup

Cons: - High costs
- Missing backup feature: I would like to automatically push backup on AWS S3
- Missing backup policy customisation: I would like to keep backup from 2w, 3w, 1m, 6m

Easy way to start a server without having to configure much

Dan S.
Director of Web Dev
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Point and click, start up server using own infrastructure. Easy enough to configure, insightful analytics.

Cons: Costs are extremely high for using own infrastructure; essentially we're paying 2x purchasing price on AWS and Scalegrid; whereas scalegrid isn't anything but a control panel for AWS.

ScaleGrid quickly simplified our infrastructure, helping us focus on the problems that matter.

Reviewed on 16/05/2018
John M.
Public Safety, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Stability and simplicity

Pros: The Redis service was provisioned quickly and worked great out-of-the-box. Removing Redis from our own app deployment has eliminated some complexity and helps keep us lean and stable.

Cons: Our understanding is that ScaleGrid engineers have full access to all of the data we are storing in the service. This presents a data security issue to our corporate clients, especially in light of new GDPR laws in the EU. For this reason we could not move our Mongo database to ScaleGrid, only our Redis DB which does not hold sensitive data. It would be ideal if ScaleGrid did not access the instance data once provisioning is complete.

by ScaleGrid on 29/05/2018

Thanks for your feedback! The ScaleGrid SaaS application (https://scalegrid.io) provides a "fully managed" Database-as-a-Service solution. While it's not possible to provide a fully managed solution without access to the data, we do provide another "Private deployments" model where you can use our software and automation, but our support team does not have access to the data. This model might be better for your application, and if you drop a note to our support team, we are happy to set up a time to discuss.

ScaleGrid is also fully GDPR compliant and provides a Data Protection Addendum here: https://scalegrid.io/dpa.html

Great customer service but could be cheaper

Misha I.
Software Developer
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: customer support when I had questions about my MongoDB collection size -- they got back to me very quickly and resolved my concern

Cons: Cost is a bit too high - I really do not think that hosting one MongoDB should cost more

Best hosted MongoDB I've found so far. Great support and easy to use interface.

Reviewed on 16/05/2018
Rodrigo de castro R.
Co-founder & CTO
Internet
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: After trying different MongoDB hosted solutions I've found ScaleGrid and gave it a try. Their support team is awesome and they helped me migrate my 2.x mongodb version to a new instance with 3.4 version. I've migrated my dev and prod environments in a matter of hours.
Big pros:
- You can use your own AWS account (BYOC)
- If you have credits you can use them towards your VMs on your cloud provider
- Support team (100%!)
- Slow queries report (this is great to fine tune our queries)
- Easy to use dashboard interface

Cons: So far i'm very satisfied with the service and can't think of anything I disliked. I can update this review once I have something.

ScaleGrid Bring Your Own Cloud (MongoDB)

Reviewed on 22/04/2019
Andrew K.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We made the switch from Compose to Scalegrid, we have no complaints so far. Staffs are knowledgeable and friendly, I would recommend Scalegrid solution to anyone who's trying to move away from Compose.

Pros: Easy implementation, Transparency, Easy Scale (future purposes)

Cons: Product itself was pretty good, nothing to complain about. Account managers and CSR was very quick to respond to all of our questions and concerns. However, owner Dharshan is hard to reach. I sent him multiple emails and never got a reply in timely manner.

Excellent serivce

Simon T.
Customer Support

Pros: Quality help and guidance to choosing the right configuration of our MongoDB cluster.
Makes it easy to find missing indexes, and gives us good insight into how we use our data.

Cons: I find it a bit expensive.
Some of the features in the control panel / monitoring system are a bit slow, and some explanation to some of the features would be nice.

by ScaleGrid on 29/05/2018

Thanks for your feedback! We're adding more tips and explanations to our features on the Console, and you can also check out our Help Documentation for more information on our tools: https://help.scalegrid.io/docs

Awesome product !

Reviewed on 12/11/2018
CTO & Co-Founder
Internet, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Ability to "bring our own cloud". Auto daily backup. Ease of deploy.

Cons: Nothing. It's a very good product. Hum... Maybe the design could be more friendly.

Excellent. No complaints

Reviewed on 03/05/2018
Mike C.
Sr. Software Architect
Wireless, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Rock solid MongoDB performance, monitoring, and support

Pros: Support, and ease of use. I especially like the slow query log and the performance monitoring that you have recently added.

Cons: Not sure I can come up with anything to complain about. We've adopted SG as our platform of choice for future MongoDB deployments

Needs more features.

Reviewed on 25/09/2019
David N.
Co-founder and Software Architect
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: BYOC, instance sizes, customer service, potential.

Cons: Lots of missing (basic) features. For example, we cannot remove a follower cluster. The console and API need more management controls. Alert management is also limited. It would be great to have more control here and even customisable severity levels.

by ScaleGrid on 14/10/2019

Hi David, thank you for sharing this feedback! Here are a couple useful links to our help docs which will show you how to:

Setup MongoDB Follower Clusters: https://help.scalegrid.io/docs/regularly-import-mongodb-data-from-an-existing-scalegrid-cluster

Manage MongoDB Alerts (you can customize alerts at both the cluster and account level, and override global alerts): https://help.scalegrid.io/docs/mongodb-alerts-and-rules

ScaleGrid API (please email us if there's a specific API need we're missing, and we should be able to get it up within a few days): http://api.scalegrid.io/

Setting up Mongo and Redis Clusters couldn't be Easier

Reviewed on 23/08/2018
Scott B.
Sports, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We are in the process of launching a bootstrapped startup so time and money is tight. We chose to go with ScaleGrid for several reasons, but I would say the biggest draw is the ease of use while minimizing the chance of human configuration error of our mission critical production clusters. It is really a godsend.

Pros: We are hosting both Redis and Mongo clusters using ScaleGrid and I couldn't be happier with their service. It literally took me less than 1 hour to setup our Production instances and I even managed to do it without any sort of documentation. The user interface is incredibly intuitive and simple to use. I couldn't imagine having to do this manually. It has saved us countless hours of work and it will continue to do so in the future. Managing our clusters day to day is so easy, I really can't believe it.

Cons: I have nothing bad to say about ScaleGrid. My only complaint is that I wish I knew about it sooner!

Scalegrid is dead simple. Absolutely everything is taken care of.

Reviewed on 06/02/2018
Co Founder
Internet
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: A young startup should use this instead of going all out with self deployment.

Pros: The autoscaling feature works like a breeze
The bring your won cloud feature is very useful for startups that have AWS or Azure credits
MongoDB deployments with replica sets and sharding are managed very beautifully
Customer service is extremely prompt

Cons: The on-website console is a little jittery and has some limitations. You can use Compass or DBKoda instead.
You can't see documents on their dashboard

ScaleGrid is by far the most feature packed DB hosting service available.

Reviewed on 15/01/2019
CoFounder & Software Engineer at MemberStack
Design, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: My overall experience has been very positive.

Pros: I love the fact that Scale Grid allows you to backup your databases anytime you want. Services like Atlas do not let you do that. Also, the "peek at backup" feature is awesome. The ability to spin up a new database to view a backup has come in handy many times.

Cons: At times I feel the UI is a little cluttered and hard to navigate. That being said, the features that I eventually find in the UI make up for it :)