15 years helping British businesses

About IDrive

IDrive protects all your PCs, Macs, mobile devices and servers into one cloud backup account.

Learn more about IDrive

Pros:

Ease of use - set it and forget it. As long as you have an internet connection, it backs up on schedule.

Cons:

Idrive states that it is compatible with Linux. It is, however, there is no program to install, only a series of Perl scripts.

IDrive ratings

4.5
4.6
4.5
4.7

8.6/10

IDrive has an overall rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars based on 1,075 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used IDrive before?

Filter reviews (1,075)

Scott
Scott
Consultant in UK
Public Relations & Communications, Self Employed

Very happy so far

Pros:

Competitive pricing, relatively easy to set up, mostly user-friendly platform, can back up multiple PCs with one account, excellent customer support

Cons:

Setup is slightly confusing but excellent customer support promptly answered my queries

Hiro
Manager in Norway
Consumer Goods, Self Employed

Best Backup plan on the planet

Comments: I've both backed up and recovered with idrive and it's always been super reliable. Will be my go to backup for as long as i need it.

Pros:

It's easy to use and unbeatable price. Super reliable and great UI!

Cons:

I can't find any con's about Idrive at all.

Alan
Manager in US
Retail, 2–10 Employees

Extremely Slow Support Response

3.0 last month New

Comments: Unsatisfied. So far, not living up to its claims

Pros:

Had good reviews for backup functionality and very good price. But cloud backup is not functioning and support is very unresponsive

Cons:

Cloud backup is not functioning and support is very unresponsive

Alice
Senior writer in Spain
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

At last, a backup vendor I can depend on!

Comments: Excellent. Very happy with its reliability and, especially, the help that is available when I need it. I am located in Europe, and am used to having to contact customer support teams at inconvenient times due to the time difference. But IDrive support is always available. That's a huge win for me.

Pros:

I like that it is a reputable company with superb customer service, and that their product actually WORKS. I was with a competitor for many years--basically inertia and wanting to avoid hassle kept me with them. They were very costly, and there were always glitches causing me to re-install the software. Their customer support doesn't respond. Period. I was actually a bit of a stooge for staying with them for so long. I did a search of reviews and IDrive came up No. 1. I am very pleased with it, and feel much more secure about business continuity, especially as my Mac ages.

Cons:

I had trouble with installation, and required help from customer service (which I got immediately). But it wasn't intuitive. I also get some random error messages I don't understand, that I need to research.

Kate
Video Editor in US
Motion Pictures & Film, Self Employed

Slow initial upload but great features

Comments: So far I like it more than alternatives. I hated that Backblaze would say I’m backed up and then it would take a long time to see it online and some files were missing. So this option is much better. I can see the files immediately when they upload. There are more controls on uploading schedules. Overall, I’m pleased so far.

Pros:

The price point, ease of use and features.

Cons:

The slow initial upload but I can’t comment on speeds after you do the initial large upload for backup or archive.

Curt
Sr Cyber Security Engineer in US
Computer & Network Security, Self Employed

iDrive is the best for MacOS file backup and cloud storage.

Comments: Pricing is very good, providing better value per byte than its main competitors.
It does exactly what it says on the box and it does it both smoothly and logically, with a GUI that doesn't take a week to come to terms with.

Pros:

iDrive is great to save important photos, videos and documents. For the price point it's very reasonable; you have little to lose! Uploading speeds are great and layout is simple and uncomplicated!

Cons:

MacOS interface could have a better layout.

Tina
Consumer Goods, Self Employed

Everything I Need!!

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: It's a wonderful backup and storage solution for all my important videos, documentation and photos for years to come!

Pros:

I can backup and restore to any device as needed at any time I choose. Being able to take my time to reorganize my documents, photos and videos without anxiety that my PC will up and quit any moment due to the OS. Encryption and security mean the most to me and I know my personal and business information will not be leaked all over the Web. It's fast and I can set a time for the backup when I'm sleeping. It will work in the background if needed too. I love being able to share files and letting others view photos without having to store them on my phone. I can delete all files from all my devices after backing up in order to clear some space.

Cons:

I honestly haven't come across any cons yet, and I don't think I will.

Rockwood
Director Telesales in US
Telecommunications, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Advantages of I-Drive

Comments: The set-up is very easy, and Tech Support is always available 24/7 to help you with any questions.

Pros:

Easy to use...moderately priced...great Tech Support...Easy to back-up your entire Desktop, including all operating programs, Photos, C-Drive, all Documents, etc.

Cons:

There are not "cons"...It is so much better than "Microsoft One-Drive".

Zairbek
Director in Kyrgyzstan
Information Services, 2–10 Employees

Excellent service

Comments: Very good service to keep data safe. Cloud Drive is the best service.

Pros:

1. Big storage space 2. Very good annual price 3. Excellent Cloud Drive service 4. Very convenient Backup procedure 5. Clone/Computer Backup

Cons:

It would be good to include russian language

Software Architect in US
Financial Services, 1,001–5,000 Employees

A little quirky, but gets the job done

Comments: Overall it is great and gets the job done, however it may not be as out-of-the-box to some users lacking a technical background.

Pros:

IDrive is very inexpensive compared to other products

Cons:

IDrive Express through Linux needs some polishing. The instructions they sent were unclear, leaving me to have to research how to properly backup my data using their provided hard drive.

Zubin
Audio Engineer in US
Media Production, Self Employed

Really impressed to far

Comments: Overall I'm really pleased, the cloud backup market has clearly expanded significantly since I last shopped around and I'm very impressed with this service.

Pros:

I switched to IDrive recently after a bad experience with my previous system, Arq. Immediately IDrive has been better in every way I can perceive so far. The software is much clearer, better organized, and easier to use, but I haven't noticed any lack of features. I'm using it to backup my work drives to the cloud drive, both running a daily full backup as well as hourly 'Continuous Data Protection' backups. I love that i can then access that data from other computers, vs Arq which has a very limited feature set for accessing your backups (only from the computer that initiated the backups, only from the desktop application). It's also much cheaper!

Cons:

I honestly haven't noticed any downsides so far, will be doing a test of the backup retrieval process soon.

Arte
Owner in India
E-Learning, 2–10 Employees

Security for a small business

Comments: We were looking for a new online cloud backup solution, as our old one could not process our card. iDrive came up as a suggested option multiple times.
The payment and subscription set up process was painless and easy on iDrive.
We were able to download and schedule backup right away. The full backup process took about 5 hours for each laptop device. This is at par with our experience with other such apps.
We had some questions based on the error log, and iDrive support got back to us fairly promptly with clear suggestions.
Overall happy with this app, which helps us take off our mind from file loss related issues and get on with running our business.
I am writing this review based on a request from iDrive.

Pros:

Easy to install and schedule backup. No technical knowledge needed UI and instructions are easy to follow Perfect for a small business with limited data and devices The basic plan provides scope for future data needs Different options for scheduling backup means we can 'set it and forget it' Backup can be scheduled for the less busy times Support is excellent and got back with clear and specific answers to our queries within 12 hours and also followed up The iDrive software does not occupy too much memory when processing Was able to purchase and set up subscription for the software without any issues. Other backup options had some issues and were not able to process our credit card.

Cons:

Having used various other backup options in the past, we don't find any cons as compared to those other tools.

SystemsArchitect in US
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

IDrive for Business

Comments: I have been able to restore data on the fly in the event of a hardware failure to any registered device quickly. This has turned out to be the best feature.

Pros:

Data is encrypted for security is critical. The cross platform support makes it ideal for Windows, Mac OSX, and Apple phones and tablets.

Cons:

The feature missing that I would want the most is continuous backup. The scheduler allows a daily, and weekly backup and hourly backup only.

Tomas
PM in UK
Research, Self Employed

Good value and simple to deploy backup

Pros:

iDrive is a great value backup product. It's easy to deploy, simple but powerful set of options and does everything i need. Perfect if you just want a simple backup solution with a good amount of storage which can be shared across a number of computers. Excellent set and forget backup package.

Cons:

It would be nice if they supported the ability to seed the backup with a drive, they offer this in some regions but not in UK. Great that they now offer a 2TB option as well as the 5TB option.

Dario
Solution architect in Croatia
Telecommunications, 51–200 Employees

Easy to use cloud backup solution with affordable price

Comments: Finally I don't have to worry about private files in case of HW failures.

Pros:

I use IDrive for personal use. I purchased it around BlackFriday with nice promo price for 10TB storage for 1 year.It has the best and the most user friendly Windows client application which allows to setup backup/restore files, to schedule backup tasks, it supports incremental backups, offers definition of folders which will be automatically synced with cloud storage and also to perform complete computer backup in cloud (this one I didn't try so far). There are also some backup features which I don't need but small businesses might benefit for:MS SQL Sever,MS Exchange Server, Exchange Brick level (Individual mailbox backup),MS Sharepoint Sever,System State (boot file, registry, active directory, system volume, ...)Hyper-VVMware (ESXi, VMs)Microsoft 365 (mailbox data)Cloud drive functionality additionally allows sharing files with other people if needed.

Cons:

Huge price increase after 1 year promo price period expires. Hopefully, there will be some promotions before expiry which will allow existing users to prolong subscription under better price.I like to fly with my drone and record videos. Beware that there is a huge problem with IDrive related to file size limit. If you need to share files bigger that 2GB, unfortunately IDrive won't be a solution for you unless you prepare your files by splitting them into smaller ones.

Director in US
Hospital & Health Care, 2–10 Employees

Easy to set up and use

Pros:

Ease of use, comprehensive dashboard, ample storage at a reasonable price pay per storage not per desk. Lots of configuration options and customization. Very good live phone support.

Cons:

Really don’t have any complaints at this time.

Marcos
CEO in Argentina
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Probably one of the best services out there

Comments: Overall, IDrive is a great system if you need to make backups of multiple systems. It's customer support will help you 24/7 with real solutions. I like it a lot, but I would like to see the GUI improve, especially on the scheduler side, and have better support for Linux (maybe a GUI like on other OS?).

Pros:

The automatic backup service is incredibly effective on Windows and macOS. Once correctly setup, the backup will run automatically and send a log to the user via email. Very useful when you have multiple systems you want to backup.

Cons:

Although the automatic backup works very good, the scheduler is confusing. It needs a lot of UI/UX polishing. If you are able to make it more comprehensive, you will probably have the best backup service on the block.

Justin
IT Consultant in US
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Extremely easy to use and value per TB

Comments: Quick install and setup of schedule. Very easy format and the ability to use on Synology NAS devices was a huge plus for me.

Pros:

iDrive is very easy to setup and run on multiple systems. Scheduling is straightforward and allows for different backup scenarios.

Cons:

Initial backup on new system can be a bit slow and I need to make sure that my local backups are running smoothly. It would be great to have exportable settings for use on multiple systems.

Karoly
Co-Founder | CEO | Lead Animator in Guatemala
Animation, 2–10 Employees

Idrive Review

Comments: Fast & reliable, file-sharing working properly. I'm using this feature constantly with my clients, due the excessive amount of files / file-sizes, which occurs in our business. If you don't have to restore accidentaly deleted files, you got a great service for your money.Take a bit of time to learn the process, some things are not enough intuitive from user perspective.

Pros:

Cons:

Uploaded files are NOT moveable to another folder, when already in Drive. Deleted files restoration is a literal pain, the system is not capable of handling well, not enough functions in the trash bin part. (if accidentaly files were deleted from drive, you should contact with the customer service to restore, otherwise, you can do it FILE-BY-FILE, which is VERY INCONVINIENT!)NO DARK MODE ON THE IDRIVE APP (on win atleast), we are in 2023!

Keith
Computer Hardware, Self Employed

Dropbox was too expensive for the low amount of space you receive

Comments: So far so good it has the same features as dropbox with over double the space with the smallest plan and it’s half the price.

Pros:

I liked the fact it was easy to get and the deal they offered on the first year. Dropbox does not let you know when they are going to pull money out of your account to pay the yearly fee. I was very upset with this. They used to do that, but they stopped two years ago and you only get 2 TB of space.

Cons:

The only thing I did not care for is the fact that when I attempted to purchase the upgrade, I accidentally punched in the wrong security code, and it still charged my credit card. But the charge was reversed the next morning.

Colby
CEO in US
Photography, Self Employed

All the features, none of the hassle, and a fair price point.

Comments: I used a competitor for over ten years, which was becoming less and less feature-rich and the price kept increasing. I’m so glad that I switched! IDrive is so much easier to use, being intuitive while at the same time feature-rich. It allows you to actually backup instead of just sync which is a major difference, they send you a drive through the mail so you can sync right away which is great if you have 7T and don’t want to use all your bandwidth. It allows you to backup to a local drive. I called to confirm something that I thought I understood and the technical support was fabulous. All the features, none of the hassle, and a fair price point.

Pros:

Real backup system instead of just syncing. Intuitive to use and great technical support if needed Local backup capability Real-time backup

Cons:

It took a while for me to research to find it. I wish their promotional material was more accessible to compare between services, but I think that none of them want that.

GERALD
president in Canada
Entertainment, Self Employed

Excellent backup program

Comments: Backups are crucial. Idrive does it well for a very competitive cost and good support. It takes a bit of time to set and learn its functions up but once working, it basically takes care of itself. It's a good program at a good price.

Pros:

For years I've used Onedrive but also use Idrive for extra security. One aspect of Idrive I like is that you can do both local and cloud backups. I have external hard drives connected to my two computers and having a physical backup is an extra layer of security that is important. Also, a full restore of a crashed hard drive can take days to do online but probably less than an hour from a local backup. Idrive has very robust phone and chat support. I've never had to wait more than a few minutes for help. Onedrive only has email support which is usually nowhere as useful as having someone to troubleshoot with in the moment. When installing Idrive on a new computer I used the chat service to get some info. The next day I got a got a call from a human asking if everything was working well. That's excellent service. Idrive also has a sync function, which can operate like a cloud sync service like Onedrive. I don't use the sync service as I have Onedrive but if you want to use just one cloud sync/backup service, Idrive has it all in one package. Idrive also retains all deleted files forever which is an extra layer of security and beats Onedrive by a mile which permanently deletes recycled files after 30 days. I first got Idrive on a promotion: $1 for 5 Tb for one year. You can't beat that anywhere. They have good promotions for the first year which, if amortized, decreases the cost for subsequent years. Idrive really is an excellent value.

Cons:

The Idrive interface has a bit of an old fashioned look and setting it up for the first time is less intuitive than it should be. That's where excellent support comes in. But once you figure it out and select the folders to backup, it basically works in the background and can be left alone, for years if necessary without intervention. I did need to contact support to figure out how to backup Outlook files. That's been my only hiccup with the program.

Prince
Media Production, 2–10 Employees

Easy to Use but Customer Support Needs Improvement

Pros:

I love how easy the product is to actually use. When I first used it, I thought I was getting the hang of it, but it was doing something I didn’t understand. But that was easy to overcome and with a little bit of practice, became easier and easier. Love this product for sharing files between members of my team and for the price - absolutely amazing! We are a small team and only a small number of us need to have access to the folder system; prior to IDrive I used Dropbox and was scratching to get away from Dropbox. IDrive to the rescue! Dropbox charged my team of three $540 a year, or $54 a month, for storage space of 5TB. It was ridiculous and we didn't utilize nearly the amount of features they boast about. We needed something new and drastically cheaper for our needs. With IDrive, we use it family style since it is only three of us for $74, and some change a year. We are saving so much money and are able to get all our needs met! Highly recommend!

Cons:

My main complaint is customer support. I called twice and chatted once with IDrive’s support and was met with snarky characters that had rude attitudes toward me. They also didn’t seem to understand the IDrive product. I asked if I can use the Cloud Sharing without Sync on because it was taking up the space on my computer (which I did not want). One rep was very quick to offer me my money back as I suggested that IDrive might not suit my needs if I can only use this feature with Sync on. That discouraged me. So I called the next day during their business hours. The rep hung up on me or we got disconnected, so I called again. When I called again, this rep also said that it was not possible to use the cloud storage without having the sync on. I found this to be stupendously impossible to do. I simplified the question. “Can I download a file from the cloud without having sync on?” The answer I received was, “no, you must turn sync on to transfer files to your computer." I told him that I found that to be strange, and I was met with silence. Upon me hanging up the call, I tried to download a file myself with sync turned off. Low and behold, I WAS able to download a file from Cloud without having to have sync turned on. I would highly suggest retraining your team when two individuals very confidently said that I could not do this.

Ronald
Partner in US
Law Practice, 2–10 Employees

Great Backup System

Comments: Great system, no intent to ever change.

Pros:

Great product, well priced, runs in background without using a lot of resources, real time backup, very fast to download files.

Cons:

Searching is a little difficult, but not much. Desktop version sometimes doesn't work for downloading but the on-line version is faster anyways.

Charles
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 2–10 Employees

Don't be surprised when they drain your account

Comments: I finally got rid of all the data and schedules even though I have 11 months of time left I will not backup or connect in any way to these scammers again

Pros:

Retrieving files were quite easy. When it worked it worked well

Cons:

The usage meter lies until they somehow get you far over your max then they will not let you delete files. Then there rip a few hundred out of your bank account then sup[port tells you if you upgrade to a larger account (more money) he will see to it your money will be returned (lie) Then over night you backup 3TB of data even though you only have 700GB on all three computers and they go after another grab from your account .