• Overall
    4.7/5

About ProWritingAid

Grammar checking, style improvement, and terminology management software to ensure that your writing is always of the highest quality.

Learn more about ProWritingAid

Juan L.
Pro Boxing Promotor/Manager
Sports, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/02/2019

"Great Choice for Secure and Smart Grammar Checking "

Comments: It literally takes a couple of minutes to figure out the user-friendly tools and setting up reports to review your areas for improvement. The software is currently number one on my grammar checking software list because it does not simply focus on writing mistakes, but also the overall written quality. ProWritingAid ultimately creates a way for you to for you to develop your writing skills while providing a fresh, impacting, unique, and error-free output for readers to enjoy.

Pros: It is a friendly editing, style, and grammar checker software that contains most of the useful features you could want as a professional, newbie writer, or editor. Once you have begun to use it, it takes less than ten minutes to figure it out. The software is intuitive and the toolbar is quick to understand and informative about your errors. It can easily locate repetitiveness in sentences, which I really like. Additionally, writers will be happy to know that Google Docs and Scrivener can be combined with ProWritingAid, which makes it a very convenient-to-use checker. I love that it is inexpensive and costs less than a hundred dollars for an annual subscription compared to other types of grammar software.

Cons: There are a couple of minor downsides like being unable to make corrections when it comes to writing with textboxes online; this feature would have been handy. Second, the software has no extensions available for iOS, Firefox, or Safari integration. LaTex, a popular document preparation system, is also unfriendly with the software. Lastly, Mac users cannot use the software because there is currently no available plugin for Microsoft Word. The advantages weigh out the inconveniences overall and it will only affect you if you are particular about integrating it with other tools.

• Reviewed on 19/02/2019
E-commerce Fraud and Payments Management
Internet, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/11/2019

"Great tool for writers "

Comments: Overall, I find this tool very useful when having to deal with a big amount of text or having to write a lot for work on a daily basis. It does offer a huge amount of insights and information to help you improve your writing skills over time.

Pros: ProWritingAid is a very nice tool to make sure all your content is written properly. It is extremely easy to use and you can set it up in just a few minutes. To start checking a document, you can upload an existing one or create a new one from scratchIt corrects your mistakes and classifies them in grammar, style, and spelling. This allows you to understand where you should improve. I found it very useful in the cases we have to write long manuals. It gives you endless possibilities to get further information about words (dictionary definitions, quotes, etc), same with extensive explanations of why your sentence needs corrections. The dashboard is very complete, and you find all the information on stats about your most common mistakes, key suggestions for improvements, vocabulary, etc.

Cons: As in my team, we usually do not write long documents and we use it mostly for emails and presentations, we have decided to use another alternative tool as we found it more suitable for our purpose. Something that offered a 'check on the go' At the time I tried it, they offered only the yearly subscription and the free trial was 14 days. It would be nice to have other subscription options that are more flexible

• Reviewed on 27/11/2019
Katrina W.
Marketing Consultant, Author, Editor
  • Reviewed on 03/08/2019

"Supports better content, faster (and cheaper)"

Comments: I'm a business writer (marketing consultant), author-publisher, and editor, so ProWritingAid is an essential part of my business. I absolutely work with human editors for big projects like books, but on the day-to-day content and short fiction where I'm on a tighter turn-around and production budget, ProWritingAid is a cost-effective and efficient way to clean up mistakes and add polish. As an editor/proofreader myself, I also use it to add value for my clients—ProWritingAid helps flag more potential corrections than I can catch in a single pass while freeing me up to keep a closer eye on the style and logic side of things.

Pros: My favourite feature is the overused words check. It's really useful to have grammatical errors and typos flagged as well, but one of the hardest things for me to catch when self-editing is too many uses of the same words in proximity. The automatic check helps me clean up content and get it out the door quickly, whether it's my own projects or as an editor.

Cons: I have older MS Word software, so it's not compatible and copying to and from the web editor can be a little clunky.

• Reviewed on 03/08/2019
Creative Director
Publishing, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/09/2019

"ProWriting Aid Should Be Better"

Comments: Overall, the software is a bit cumbersome and I'm probably going to go back to the other software I was using even though I've already paid for the lifetime subscription of this one.

Pros: I like the ability to purchase a lifetime subscription to the software. It allows me to edit my writing on various websites and in every writing app I use. It's convenient to use.

Cons: Purchasing the lifetime subscription does not include every feature offered by the software. For instance, plagiarism checks have to be purchased in addition to the editing and grammar check software. It's a hassle at best.

• Reviewed on 25/09/2019
Paul T.
eMarketing Strategist/Consultant
Internet, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/07/2019

"Good Grammar Check tool"

Comments: Overall, good except for when it sometimes impedes my WordPress workflow.

Pros: It improves my writing and gives me a feeling of being more credible with my blog posts and emails.

Cons: It sometimes conflicts with my page builder for WordPress.

Frances A.
Senior Research Specialist
Research, 10,001+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/08/2019

"Best Online Writing Aid Program."

Comments: I feel having the software to correct my writing as I go it helping me avoid the common writing errors I make.

Pros: I love that I can use the program for all emails especially important academic emails. I also appreciate that I can easily turn off the program temporarily.

Cons: I cannot think of anything I dislike about the ProWriting Aid software.

• Reviewed on 11/08/2019
Kristy G.
writer
  • Reviewed on 15/01/2020

"A must have"

Comments: it is allowing me to become a better writer and helping me do what i love

Pros: I am loving this software. Especially with the google docs add on. It allows me to pre-edit before I send it to beta readers. I had most of the first draft completed before a friend turned me onto the software. I decided what the heck try the free trial. I can say with certainty I will be purchasing the subscription. Not only does it help with spelling and grammar. it allows me to run reports to see if i have used the same words repeatedly it also has an amazing thesaurus these are just a few of the features i have used so far

Cons: Im only using the free software right now until I get paid so I am missing alot of the functions on the software. that is the only con i can think of at this point. I mean to me it is expensive but it is worth the money.

• Reviewed on 15/01/2020
Nneka O.
Freelance Content Writer
  • Reviewed on 25/05/2019

"Proofreading with ProWritingAid"

Comments: I use ProWritingAid to edit my articles and keep everything I write error-free.

Pros: I love how ubiquitous ProWritingAid is. With the Chrome, Microsoft Word and Google Docs extensions, I am protected nearly everywhere I write. It is so easy to set up and use. ProWritingAid catches all my grammar and punctuation mistakes. It is an integral part of my editing process.

Cons: The pricing is a bit steep, but it's still cheaper than most other grammar checking software on the market.

• Reviewed on 25/05/2019
Julianne H.
  • Reviewed on 08/01/2020

"Infinitely Better than Grammarly"

Comments: I love ProWritingAid so much that I plan on purchasing a lifetime plan.

Pros: I cannot sing this software's praises enough. It had integration with Google Documents, for one thing, which makes my life so much easier. It breaks down its editing by category, such as style, grammar, spelling, etc.

Cons: The only thing I don't like about the software is that when you want to remove the editing highlighting, the button to do that doesn't always work.

• Reviewed on 08/01/2020
Webmaster and Product Researcher
  • Reviewed on 09/12/2019

"Incredible Software. Best in its Class."

Comments: ProWriting Aid is my favorite writing tool. I love Prowriting Aid so much that I used it as my main editing tool when I wrote a 400+ page book.

Pros: ProWriting Aid has many great features, and it’s constantly improving. I love its readability analysis, spelling, and grammar checker. In fact, I like ProWriting Aid analysis more than I liked Grammarly’s.

Cons: I wish ProWriting Aid would provide a Microsoft Office add-on for Mac users (I use a Mac). They have an add-on for Windows users.

• Reviewed on 09/12/2019
Matt W.
CTO
  • Reviewed on 11/09/2019

"ProWritingAid review. Notes from a small island (in the south pacific)"

Comments: I've used the premium version for 18 months and have based my comments on my experience in that time. I use it both for work and for some of the creative writing I do. I'm a massive fan of using technology to improve how I work and ProWritingAid is right up there as one of the most useful tools I use. It makes a significant difference to how long it takes me to write a document. I write fewer iterations and am more confident in the quality of my first draft because of it. I feel like it's not just correcting my grammar, but also helping me to become a better writer. They have a free version as well as premium versions offering:
- monthly subscription
- yearly subscription
- lifetime license (approx 3.5x annual subscription)
I would strongly recommend it to anyone writing at work or at home. In my view, it is significantly better value than other editing and reviewing software on the market.

Pros: I like the fact that I can use it everywhere. It's available in Word, Chrome, and Google Docs. There's even a desktop application. I like the real-time checker that identifies the quick fixes. But the real value is in the deeper reports. Don't be put off by the number of them - my advice is to have find out which ones you find most useful. My favourites are: 1. Thesaurus report, which lets me quickly find better words to use.
2. Readability report, which focuses me on areas that I can improve.
3. Sticky sentences report, which helps me get straight to the point.
Once you know which ones you use most, you can combine them (it's called a Combo report) and with one click, you've got detailed analysis of your writing.

Cons: All software has pros and cons. While ProWritignAid is no different, it is worth saying that they do seem focused on continual improvement. My main criticisms over the last 18 months have been: 1. No integration with Google Docs - this has now been released and works well.
2. It can be daunting how much it tells you about your writing but this is necessary - writing is complex. The more you use it, the better it gets.
3. When I was using the free version, the 500-word limit caught me out a few times. It's not an issue for any premium users, however.

• Reviewed on 11/09/2019
David S.
Author
  • Reviewed on 18/08/2019

"A mixed bag"

Comments: Overall, it's been a useful tool which has helped me improve my writing style. I try to find amusement in its bizarre, triggered reactions to individual words without considering context. For now, I'll continue to use it, but I can foresee a time when I feel I don't need it anymore - unless the improvements I've mentioned above get addressed.

Pros: It's a Microsoft Word plug-in, making it readily available whenever I'm working. The report descriptions are clear and concise, and the results are often helpful. The most useful reports are the Sticky Sentence Check (which helps me minimise fluffy writing), the Overused Words Check (which picks up the most common instances), and the Pronoun check (which helps me avoid excessive pronoun usage). Other reports (the Sentence Length and Dialogue Tags checks) offer useful information too, but they satisfy my interest in document statistics.

Cons: Three things stand out.
1. The Grammar Check for the Word plug-in doesn't have a user-custom dictionary. (Grammarly and Word both provide this feature.) Since I'm writing fantasy, the Grammar Check throws out an irritating stream of unrecognised words - which I've trained Grammarly and Word to accept.
2. The Grammar Check and Writing Style Check have a limited view of context, which often leads to me rejecting every suggestion. For example, it recently flagged "like", suggesting that I consider a stronger verb: examination of the surrounding words would have shown that it wasn't a verbal usage. Some tautology suggestions seem bizarre: it flags "cool" and "smooth", but these are only synonymous in a very limited language community; and it flags "heavy" and "wet" as synonymous, for some unfathomable reason.
3. There are settings to restrict certain checks within dialogue. I'd like to prevent checks for "emotion tells" in dialogue: people often say "I'm delighted to meet you", or "I'm afraid you're wrong." Such utterances shouldn't be flagged.

• Reviewed on 18/08/2019
Integrated Marketing Director
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/07/2019

"Way better than Grammarly"

Comments: ProWritingAid has helped reduce the time it takes to get from first to final draft by half. Our content and copy is written by many people, with all kinds of writing backgrounds. It used to be a chore to pinpoint typos and makes corrections. Now, after running a few reports and working through them, we get great, readable SEO content in a fraction of the time.

Pros: I love ProWritingAid because there are so many helpful reports that allow you to get as detailed as you want when editing. I use the summary, style and grammar reports all the time. When I'm working on a larger marketing piece, I use the readability, pacing and other reports to help tighten my writing up. I also love how well the software integrates with Microsoft Word and Google Chrome. And one of my all-time favorite features is the word explorer. It's helped me pick the perfect word or phrase on numerous occasions. It's also nice that it's regularly updated with new and improved features.

Cons: I wish there was a way to use this on a mobile device. I'm writing this review on my phone, and I feel like I'm flying blind with ProWritingAid there to let me know about spelling, grammar and readability mistakes. I'd never produce marketing material on my phone, but I certainly write enough emails that I want to look and read professional.

• Reviewed on 30/07/2019
  • Reviewed on 19/07/2019

"ProWritingAid is ideal for Professionals and Students alike"

Comments: Not a bad thing to say about ProWritingAid thus far. It's inexpensive, and has helped tune my writing style so I'm faster and more confident about it. With all the tweaking options available (and plug-ability), you're almost never without it. That said, Grammarly has its purpose, and I'd perhaps consider keeping free Grammarly around for its browser-based tool. While I'd advocate using both, if only choosing one I'd opt for ProWritingAid.

Pros: I love how ProWritingAid plugs into MS Word and Scrivener, so both authors and other professionals can utilize the power of this service. The price is very affordable, and the features aren't matched by any competitors to my knowledge. It's great to also 'tune' PWA to your writing style, so it doesn't offer irrelevant suggestions. Another cool feature is Plagiarism checks, so if you hire blog content writers, you can check to see if their content is unique. The same is useful for students who want to check their work against internet sources.

Cons: While ProWritingAid is great, for some platforms that requires short snippets of content like e-commerce product pages, you may be better off with Grammarly. This is because PWA has more of a 'style' focus rather than 'grammar' focus. Perhaps the ultimate approach is to start with PWA to get your writing style mastered offline, then use Grammarly for browser-based usage when writing emails and short snippets of online content (to not get style suggestions where its superfluous).

• Reviewed on 19/07/2019
Jovana V.
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/11/2019

"ProWritingAid Will Make You More Than Pro Writer!"

Comments: It helped me a great deal to improve my style. I initially used Grammarly and just of curiosity, I tried ProWritingAid -- only to learn that software can go beyond grammar and spelling. I feel like I grew as a writer by using ProWritingAid. However, it is a bit of pricey and perhaps some different grades/options can be introduced to satisfy variety of users.

Pros: ProWritingAid contains a number of features that will not only instantly correct and suggest alternative wording but that will gradually improve your overall writing skills. Unlike the popular competition, ProwritingAid has a more comprehensively take on writing, it goes beyond just correcting grammar and spelling but help you enhance your style as well. It provides a number of reports that can help you track the improvement of your writing skills. And of top of that, it works in Google Docs -- where all of my writing takes place. :)

Cons: It would be nice to have extensions for a variety of browsers, including Safari. But honestly, what I like the least about it is a price!

• Reviewed on 20/11/2019
Larae B.
Business and Marketing Strategist
  • Reviewed on 31/07/2019

"Writing the Right Way! "

Pros: I’ve always considered myself to be a good writer, but I can say ProWriting Aid has helped me develop into a better writer. The readability feature has been very beneficial. It sometimes forces me to rethink and rewrite so my writing reads more fluidly. It is great at warning me when I write in the passive voice, and it is awesome at suggesting unnecessary words to eliminate. ProWriting Aid has been pivotal for business writing and has benefited me as doctoral student.

Cons: ProWriting Aid is very feature rich, which is not a bad thing, but the issue is I am not always clear on how to get the best use out of all the features and reports.

Ryan K.
  • Reviewed on 31/07/2019

"Best grammar software in the industry! Grammarly can't compete!"

Comments: I'm a self-published author running a small press and I couldn't afford to be in business without the help of ProWritingAid's excellent software. I depend on it to deliver clean, readable drafts each and every time I publish a new novel.

Pros: I absolutely love the flexibility and platform support that ProWritingAid offers. No matter which platform or software you use to get your writing done, ProWritingAid supports it — and does it well! When taken feature for feature, comparatively Grammarly and other similar writing software can't compete. And did I mention the price? A lifetime subscription is worth its weight in gold for anyone who considers themselves a professional writer, no matter the medium.

Cons: There are some bugs in the software, and they vary depending on which platform you're using, but they're easy to overlook given the overall value proposition that ProWritingAid offers. I wouldn't use anything else.

Nadja B.
Journalist
Media Production, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 31/07/2019

"Best editing software on the market "

Comments: I signed up for a ProWritingAid trial after reading a review about it. I'd been a paying client with Grammarly for years, but my experience with PWA during the trial period alone made me a convert, and I haven't looked back since. Fantastical product!

Pros: ProWritingAid is an incredibly comprehensive editing software. How many of its editing categories you look at and implement is up to you and how much time you have available, but they're always there. The software stands head and shoulders above competitors in this regard. It's also, for the budget-conscious, a lot more affordable. True value for money - the best investment anyone who works with words in any capacity can make!

Cons: Not sure if it's a glitch, but sometimes when I accept an edit, then undo, it's unable to. Also, it doesn't catch every single grammar mistake (9 times out of 10 it does, though), so I'd advise to have the free version of Grammarly installed as a backup.

Jordan R.
Author
  • Reviewed on 12/07/2018

"ProWritingAid has literally helped me to become a better writer"

Comments: I plug every single piece of writing that I do into ProWritingAid, and as a full time writer that means I use it often! I am writing a book write now and after the first draft is done I plan to plug each chapter into the program so I will have a cleaner copy for my editor to go through. I hope this will make the final product a higher quality. I recommend prowritingaid often to friends and colleagues and I plan to keep using it for the foreseeable future.

Pros: I love the setup and functionality of the program and how easy it is to use. It's easy to load up a document and have it analyze several layers of content. I love that it can 1) Spit out a summary of your documents grade and show you why it received a certain grade for each layer of analysis
2) Shows you how can improve the style of your writing and where you need to check again
3) Analyze your grammar and show you what you might need to correct
I plug every single piece of sales copy I write into the program and it has helped me to pump out some great finished content.

Cons: At times I have lost data when the program has crashed or my computer has shut down unexpectedly. It doesn't auto save as I am used to from using google docs, and you need to be careful not to close out of the document until you either save it or copy and paste the content into its final destination. This is only a minor issue that boils down to user error mostly, but I would love an auto save feature to be added in.

• Reviewed on 12/07/2018
Ron elius S.
Freelance B2B Copywriter for the Food & Beverage Companies
  • Reviewed on 22/09/2018

"The Powerful and most Detailed Grammar Checker ever"

Comments: Super Satisfied!

Pros: I'm super satisfied with this Hyper-detailed Grammar Checker. Not only it gives you great report on your Writing but also it analyzes your voice and it will give you honest feedback (Which you need and you must Accept no matter how hard it is :) ) ProwritingAid is my tool of choice when it comes to analyzing your Social Media posts, Blog posts, Reports, Whitepapers and many more B2B Information.

Cons: The only drawback for their Free Version is you can only check 500 words but does this Cons stop you to upgrade your Plan? No! If you really need to analyze your whole 2k+ to 5k+ Posts or Report, it's a no-brainer to Upgrade your Plan. This tool will make your writing life better.

• Reviewed on 22/09/2018
Francis H.
  • Reviewed on 31/07/2019

"The pain free way to better writing."

Comments: I am a writer and this is helping me to improve my skills.

Pros: I like the diversity of reports. Its not always obvious why they are necessary, but take your time, use the help screens and you will soon see their relevance. The reports are not fillers but will measurably improve your writing. I like the ease of use and it is responsive.

Cons: It can feel frustrating when the reports fetch back the results and you don't want to accept the recommendation because you feel it will compromise what you want to convey. Remember you don't have to accept any changes. Pay attention to the main reports, like sentence structure and how easy to ready your writing is.

Maria R.
Writer
  • Reviewed on 31/07/2019

"ProWritingAid Continues to Improve My Writing"

Pros: I started using ProWritingAid’s free features for my creative writing. When I began to compose editorials for clients, I noticed how the “real-time” feature reported the things I needed to revise. I upgraded to use the advanced features and noted that by accessing the reports, I could learn more about “Consistency” and “Readability”. I could learn about the grammatical errors I was making. A geek to the core, the thesaurus is my best friend when writing. Perhaps the most important feature for me is ProWritingAid’s options to switch English dialects. I write for both American and UK clients and found this feature to be the most invaluable.

Cons: When I am working on a pressing deadline, I don’t have time to look through the blogs for assistance. Also, the program freezes when I’m writing online.

Marcus W.
  • Reviewed on 04/04/2019

"A Great Alternative to Other Grammar Checkers"

Comments: Prowritingaid is a decent alternative to other grammar checker programs out there, and I feel they have attractive pricing.

Pros: 1) They offer a lifetime pricing option which I prefer over a monthly recurring bill.
2) I am a heavy user of Scrivener, and Prowritingaid works with Scrivener projects.
3) The seamless thesaurus feature helps me to craft stronger points and sentences.

Cons: 1) I feel they should offer a monthly plan, their smallest package is an annual plan.
2) Using Prowritingaid, I'm always receiving suggestions to add commas in places where it's not needed, and there is no way to tell the software to ignore this.

• Reviewed on 04/04/2019
Chuck D.
Writer
  • Reviewed on 27/08/2019

"Excellent writing tool"

Comments: I have nothing but praise for the tool. When I first bought it, the negatives made me try another tool, but they have steadily improved the software that surrounded the great features, and those core features are far ahead of the other options.

Pros: 1. There were options for most types of speech- more than any other option that I've seen.
2. The correction prompts didn't just tell you that something was wrong but also gave insight into why it might be wrong, and things to consider.
3. Web-based editor and desktop editor.

Cons: 1. Because of the number of options, it can, at times, be difficult to navigate the errors and features.
2. It didn't have a web browser extension (this has been rectified)
3. The interface was somewhat archaic (this has been rectified)

• Reviewed on 27/08/2019
Andrew J.
  • Reviewed on 04/09/2019

"Complicated by Necessity"

Comments: Pro Writing Aid is necessarily complicated. It's not a tool designed for casual use typing your social media status, but designed to make any serious piece of writing better. It makes excellent suggestions on how to improve the writing, but is no substitute for actually knowing your grammar. Like any piece of editing software, it doesn't get it right 100% of the time. This is a good thing, it throws it back to the writer to make the decisions. I can't imagine my writing workflow without running Pro Writing Aid over my writing to look for ways to improve it.

Pros: Pro Writing Aid puts a suite of powerful editing suggestions at your fingertips. The depth and range of suggestions it offers on a piece of writing make it essential for my writing tasks. It's incredibly powerful, taking many different angles of looking at your writing and how to improve it. A lifetime licence is just the icing on the cake!

Cons: It is complicated to use, which is necessary given what it's doing. If it functioned a little better in Word especially it would make using it a little more enjoyable. Additionally, I ran into a major issue where I had to disable the Chrome extension because it was actually injecting css code into code I was writing. Once it was in I needed to manually clean up the CSS to get it working again.

• Reviewed on 04/09/2019