ProWritingAid Reviews

by Orpheus Technology

• Overall
    4.7 /5
    4.5 /5
    4.4 /5

About ProWritingAid

Grammar checking, style improvement, and terminology management software to ensure that your writing is always of the highest quality.

Learn more about ProWritingAid

Showing 25 reviews of 260

Todd G.
Novelist
Arts & Crafts, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 01/11/2020

"I love ProWritingAid!"

Comments: Easy to install, understand, and use. I recommend it to everyone I know.

Pros: It's fast, intuitive, and accurate. The lifetime subscription and frequent smart updates are great.

Cons: Some features available in Word are unavailable online.

• Reviewed on 01/11/2020
Félix D.
Teacher
Education Management, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 08/08/2020

"ProWritingAid is beyond standards"

Comments: I switch the software on for my first time and started diving into its multiple options. I have learned more things with ProWritingAid than sixteen years in the Public Educational System. Now, my essays are smooth, take less time to deliver my novels, and creative writing happens more often than ever.

Pros: ProWritingAid is a big deal. Think about a software able to change the way you work. Grammar corrections, all kinds of writing styles, complete informs, accurate feedback, comparative with writers and more I couldn't check.

Cons: Guys add [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] in the comparison writers.

• Reviewed on 08/08/2020
Matt W.
CTO
  • Reviewed on 11/09/2019

"ProWritingAid review. Notes from a small island (in the south pacific)"

Comments: I've used the premium version for 18 months and have based my comments on my experience in that time. I use it both for work and for some of the creative writing I do. I'm a massive fan of using technology to improve how I work and ProWritingAid is right up there as one of the most useful tools I use. It makes a significant difference to how long it takes me to write a document. I write fewer iterations and am more confident in the quality of my first draft because of it. I feel like it's not just correcting my grammar, but also helping me to become a better writer. They have a free version as well as premium versions offering:
- monthly subscription
- yearly subscription
- lifetime license (approx 3.5x annual subscription)
I would strongly recommend it to anyone writing at work or at home. In my view, it is significantly better value than other editing and reviewing software on the market.

Pros: I like the fact that I can use it everywhere. It's available in Word, Chrome, and Google Docs. There's even a desktop application. I like the real-time checker that identifies the quick fixes. But the real value is in the deeper reports. Don't be put off by the number of them - my advice is to have find out which ones you find most useful. My favourites are: 1. Thesaurus report, which lets me quickly find better words to use.
2. Readability report, which focuses me on areas that I can improve.
3. Sticky sentences report, which helps me get straight to the point.
Once you know which ones you use most, you can combine them (it's called a Combo report) and with one click, you've got detailed analysis of your writing.

Cons: All software has pros and cons. While ProWritignAid is no different, it is worth saying that they do seem focused on continual improvement. My main criticisms over the last 18 months have been: 1. No integration with Google Docs - this has now been released and works well.
2. It can be daunting how much it tells you about your writing but this is necessary - writing is complex. The more you use it, the better it gets.
3. When I was using the free version, the 500-word limit caught me out a few times. It's not an issue for any premium users, however.

• Reviewed on 11/09/2019
David S.
Author
  • Reviewed on 18/08/2019

"A mixed bag"

Comments: Overall, it's been a useful tool which has helped me improve my writing style. I try to find amusement in its bizarre, triggered reactions to individual words without considering context. For now, I'll continue to use it, but I can foresee a time when I feel I don't need it anymore - unless the improvements I've mentioned above get addressed.

Pros: It's a Microsoft Word plug-in, making it readily available whenever I'm working. The report descriptions are clear and concise, and the results are often helpful. The most useful reports are the Sticky Sentence Check (which helps me minimise fluffy writing), the Overused Words Check (which picks up the most common instances), and the Pronoun check (which helps me avoid excessive pronoun usage). Other reports (the Sentence Length and Dialogue Tags checks) offer useful information too, but they satisfy my interest in document statistics.

Cons: Three things stand out.
1. The Grammar Check for the Word plug-in doesn't have a user-custom dictionary. (Grammarly and Word both provide this feature.) Since I'm writing fantasy, the Grammar Check throws out an irritating stream of unrecognised words - which I've trained Grammarly and Word to accept.
2. The Grammar Check and Writing Style Check have a limited view of context, which often leads to me rejecting every suggestion. For example, it recently flagged "like", suggesting that I consider a stronger verb: examination of the surrounding words would have shown that it wasn't a verbal usage. Some tautology suggestions seem bizarre: it flags "cool" and "smooth", but these are only synonymous in a very limited language community; and it flags "heavy" and "wet" as synonymous, for some unfathomable reason.
3. There are settings to restrict certain checks within dialogue. I'd like to prevent checks for "emotion tells" in dialogue: people often say "I'm delighted to meet you", or "I'm afraid you're wrong." Such utterances shouldn't be flagged.

• Reviewed on 18/08/2019
Integrated Marketing Director
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/07/2019

"Way better than Grammarly"

Comments: ProWritingAid has helped reduce the time it takes to get from first to final draft by half. Our content and copy is written by many people, with all kinds of writing backgrounds. It used to be a chore to pinpoint typos and makes corrections. Now, after running a few reports and working through them, we get great, readable SEO content in a fraction of the time.

Pros: I love ProWritingAid because there are so many helpful reports that allow you to get as detailed as you want when editing. I use the summary, style and grammar reports all the time. When I'm working on a larger marketing piece, I use the readability, pacing and other reports to help tighten my writing up. I also love how well the software integrates with Microsoft Word and Google Chrome. And one of my all-time favorite features is the word explorer. It's helped me pick the perfect word or phrase on numerous occasions. It's also nice that it's regularly updated with new and improved features.

Cons: I wish there was a way to use this on a mobile device. I'm writing this review on my phone, and I feel like I'm flying blind with ProWritingAid there to let me know about spelling, grammar and readability mistakes. I'd never produce marketing material on my phone, but I certainly write enough emails that I want to look and read professional.

• Reviewed on 30/07/2019
  • Reviewed on 19/07/2019

"ProWritingAid is ideal for Professionals and Students alike"

Comments: Not a bad thing to say about ProWritingAid thus far. It's inexpensive, and has helped tune my writing style so I'm faster and more confident about it. With all the tweaking options available (and plug-ability), you're almost never without it. That said, Grammarly has its purpose, and I'd perhaps consider keeping free Grammarly around for its browser-based tool. While I'd advocate using both, if only choosing one I'd opt for ProWritingAid.

Pros: I love how ProWritingAid plugs into MS Word and Scrivener, so both authors and other professionals can utilize the power of this service. The price is very affordable, and the features aren't matched by any competitors to my knowledge. It's great to also 'tune' PWA to your writing style, so it doesn't offer irrelevant suggestions. Another cool feature is Plagiarism checks, so if you hire blog content writers, you can check to see if their content is unique. The same is useful for students who want to check their work against internet sources.

Cons: While ProWritingAid is great, for some platforms that requires short snippets of content like e-commerce product pages, you may be better off with Grammarly. This is because PWA has more of a 'style' focus rather than 'grammar' focus. Perhaps the ultimate approach is to start with PWA to get your writing style mastered offline, then use Grammarly for browser-based usage when writing emails and short snippets of online content (to not get style suggestions where its superfluous).

• Reviewed on 19/07/2019
Jovana V.
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/11/2019

"ProWritingAid Will Make You More Than Pro Writer!"

Comments: It helped me a great deal to improve my style. I initially used Grammarly and just of curiosity, I tried ProWritingAid -- only to learn that software can go beyond grammar and spelling. I feel like I grew as a writer by using ProWritingAid. However, it is a bit of pricey and perhaps some different grades/options can be introduced to satisfy variety of users.

Pros: ProWritingAid contains a number of features that will not only instantly correct and suggest alternative wording but that will gradually improve your overall writing skills. Unlike the popular competition, ProwritingAid has a more comprehensively take on writing, it goes beyond just correcting grammar and spelling but help you enhance your style as well. It provides a number of reports that can help you track the improvement of your writing skills. And of top of that, it works in Google Docs -- where all of my writing takes place. :)

Cons: It would be nice to have extensions for a variety of browsers, including Safari. But honestly, what I like the least about it is a price!

• Reviewed on 20/11/2019
E-commerce Fraud and Payments Management
Internet, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/11/2019

"Great tool for writers"

Comments: Overall, I find this tool very useful when having to deal with a big amount of text or having to write a lot for work on a daily basis. It does offer a huge amount of insights and information to help you improve your writing skills over time.

Pros: ProWritingAid is a very nice tool to make sure all your content is written properly. It is extremely easy to use and you can set it up in just a few minutes. To start checking a document, you can upload an existing one or create a new one from scratchIt corrects your mistakes and classifies them in grammar, style, and spelling. This allows you to understand where you should improve. I found it very useful in the cases we have to write long manuals. It gives you endless possibilities to get further information about words (dictionary definitions, quotes, etc), same with extensive explanations of why your sentence needs corrections. The dashboard is very complete, and you find all the information on stats about your most common mistakes, key suggestions for improvements, vocabulary, etc.

Cons: As in my team, we usually do not write long documents and we use it mostly for emails and presentations, we have decided to use another alternative tool as we found it more suitable for our purpose. Something that offered a 'check on the go' At the time I tried it, they offered only the yearly subscription and the free trial was 14 days. It would be nice to have other subscription options that are more flexible

• Reviewed on 27/11/2019
Jerry M.
  • Reviewed on 03/10/2020

"Perfect for Fiction and Non-Fiction"

Comments: I've used ProWritingAid for publishing both fiction and non-fiction articles and books. The software handles both extremely well. Features to cover all modes of writing are easily identified and easy to use. The on-screen explanations of the software with additional help screens help to maintain a focus during editing. Functionality in other programs, like Firefox and other programs, is an added value. (PWA just prompted me correctly to add a comma after programs.) Excellent value for the money. Saves money by creating a well edited document if other professional editing us required.

Pros: Excellent and wide-ranging editing and document analysis features.

Cons: While using one feature of the editing software on a large segment of copy, the software will jump among the sub-features. I edit using one sub-feature at a time, progressing from start to end in the segment before shifting to another sub-section. The jumps to other, previously finished sub-section, interrupts smooth editing.

• Reviewed on 03/10/2020
Chuck D.
  • Reviewed on 27/08/2019

"Excellent writing tool"

Comments: I have nothing but praise for the tool. When I first bought it, the negatives made me try another tool, but they have steadily improved the software that surrounded the great features, and those core features are far ahead of the other options.

Pros: 1. There were options for most types of speech- more than any other option that I've seen.
2. The correction prompts didn't just tell you that something was wrong but also gave insight into why it might be wrong, and things to consider.
3. Web-based editor and desktop editor.

Cons: 1. Because of the number of options, it can, at times, be difficult to navigate the errors and features.
2. It didn't have a web browser extension (this has been rectified)
3. The interface was somewhat archaic (this has been rectified)

• Reviewed on 27/08/2019
Andrew J.
  • Reviewed on 04/09/2019

"Complicated by Necessity"

Comments: Pro Writing Aid is necessarily complicated. It's not a tool designed for casual use typing your social media status, but designed to make any serious piece of writing better. It makes excellent suggestions on how to improve the writing, but is no substitute for actually knowing your grammar. Like any piece of editing software, it doesn't get it right 100% of the time. This is a good thing, it throws it back to the writer to make the decisions. I can't imagine my writing workflow without running Pro Writing Aid over my writing to look for ways to improve it.

Pros: Pro Writing Aid puts a suite of powerful editing suggestions at your fingertips. The depth and range of suggestions it offers on a piece of writing make it essential for my writing tasks. It's incredibly powerful, taking many different angles of looking at your writing and how to improve it. A lifetime licence is just the icing on the cake!

Cons: It is complicated to use, which is necessary given what it's doing. If it functioned a little better in Word especially it would make using it a little more enjoyable. Additionally, I ran into a major issue where I had to disable the Chrome extension because it was actually injecting css code into code I was writing. Once it was in I needed to manually clean up the CSS to get it working again.

• Reviewed on 04/09/2019
Dr. scott H.
Research Director
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/07/2019

"Ease of academic editing"

Comments: I routinely submit academic papers to peer review so it has been a very useful and cost effective tool to ensure errors do not proceed to the referees.

Pros: The merits of this software are seamless integration into Word, google docs, and online whenever I need to edit no matter the place. The highlighted functions for grammar and style are easy to implement and do not impede my writing.

Cons: The only aspect I like least about the software is sometimes lengthy times to run different functions in long documents. This is easily remedied by selecting smaller portions of text. I just get impatient.

Chris T.
Entertainment, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 31/07/2019

"Great features for the busy writer"

Comments: It's a worthwhile addition to my writing arsenal.

Pros: ProWritingAid brings a lot of useful tools under one roof: grammar, style, readability, and other diagnostic tests to help make your writing as lean, focused, and active as possible. I love it.

Cons: ProWritingAid can be a bit buggy sometimes. When trying to use the comprehensive mode to run all the diagnostics at once, it can crash -- so make sure you check compatibility for your computer before making the jump. It also seems to "uncheck" items that you have deemed ok or have marked for skipping. Still, it's a great suite of writer tools for proofreading and editing content.

Debra W.
Author
  • Reviewed on 11/05/2020

"I put everything through Pro."

Comments: When I send a manuscript to an editor their job is much easier. Pro edits my blog and anything else I create. Editing takes less time with Pro pointing out the problems.

Pros: Easy to use, this software catches the mistakes I make.

Cons: I write for the Christian market. Sometimes it does not know what to do with a biblical vocabulary.

• Reviewed on 11/05/2020
Timothy T.
Co-Founder
  • Reviewed on 23/12/2018

"Works good in combination with Grammarly"

Comments: I'm a fiction writer and this is a great tool for finding mistakes your own eyes can't see. Having an objective grammar/cliche/structure checking tool like this is (IMHO) an essential part of the writing process before hiring a human editor.

Pros: - The 'Style', 'Overused', 'Sticky' and 'Cliche' checkers are highly helpful
- The interface is simple, although not perfect
- Allows you to check things individually, or all together by using the 'Real Time' mode
- One time purchase license (Lifetime) is a great option to have

Cons: - No dark mode offered on Mac (as of 12/2018)
- Still doesn't catch some things that Grammarly does (and visa-versa)
- Pricey for what it does, even at the Lifetime purchase level. I think the value should be a bit closer to the $100 mark
- Sometimes suggests changes that are unnecessary, or miss marks grammar as incorrect when it is, in fact, correct.

• Reviewed on 23/12/2018
Afeez tope R.
Research Fellow
  • Reviewed on 12/05/2020

"IT IS INDEED AN AID"

Comments: It is easy to use, delivers on value for money and super easy to use, but the tone detector is not always correct

Pros: Once installed, it seamlessly operates in line with your thinking almost on a go-ahead basis. It is super easy to use and delivers on value. It even comes with a writing tone detector.

Cons: The only issue I can recall against it is that the writing tone detector is not always in line with your thought.

• Reviewed on 12/05/2020
Meg S.
Small Business Owner
  • Reviewed on 11/12/2020

"ProWritingAid beats Grammarly hands down!"

Comments: I love ProWriting Aid for helping me to make sure my business messaging is accurate and professional. I use it all the time for emails and other daily written content. I have also used it for other longer projects. I installed the Google Chrome extension recently and find that very helpful and convenient as well.

Pros: Love the ease of integration. There's no need to copy and paste into the program or out of the program once I have made changes. This makes using ProWritingAid seamless and convenient. It also saves me time when I'm writing because the process is so intuitive and easy.

Cons: I have found nothing yet that I don't like about ProWritingAid. I'm so glad I switched! I recommend that all my clients switch at their earliest convenience.

• Reviewed on 11/12/2020
Kristy G.
writer
  • Reviewed on 15/01/2020

"A must have"

Comments: it is allowing me to become a better writer and helping me do what i love

Pros: I am loving this software. Especially with the google docs add on. It allows me to pre-edit before I send it to beta readers. I had most of the first draft completed before a friend turned me onto the software. I decided what the heck try the free trial. I can say with certainty I will be purchasing the subscription. Not only does it help with spelling and grammar. it allows me to run reports to see if i have used the same words repeatedly it also has an amazing thesaurus these are just a few of the features i have used so far

Cons: Im only using the free software right now until I get paid so I am missing alot of the functions on the software. that is the only con i can think of at this point. I mean to me it is expensive but it is worth the money.

• Reviewed on 15/01/2020
Steve T.
  • Reviewed on 03/04/2020

"More than a word processor"

Comments: When I first started writing I relied on my own limited skills in editing my work. Using ProWritingAid made me realise how limited my editing skills were. I would not publish any work without first using ProWritingAid.

Pros: I write daily, books and blogs. ProWritingAid checks the things that I would never pick up on e.g. repetitious use of the same words.

Cons: ProWritingAid encompasses many different aspects of writing and hence can be a bit overwhelming on first use. However, one can use it piecemeal, taking in more functions as your experience grows.

• Reviewed on 03/04/2020
Author and CEO
Media Production, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 01/08/2019

"Boocy's Review"

Comments: It helps in creative and business writing. I am no longer ashamed to write or send letters to clients and also my books

Pros: I love this product for always checking my mistakes, grammar, and typos. Prowritingaid is my world. The most incredible software ever.

Cons: honesty, nothing. This software does everything you need it to

• Reviewed on 01/08/2019
Diksha N.
Content Writer
  • Reviewed on 08/04/2019

"Create Error free writings with ProWriting Aid"

Comments: User-friendly software that makes document editing and correction a less tedious task. The suggestions are quite accurate to an extent and are helpful to give an error-free end product. A must-have software for those who are into writing.

Pros: ProWriting Aid is one my favorite software when it comes to writing. Its versatility and compatibility with the commonly used platforms makes it my personal favorite. It is very convenient to use and allows me to find the synonyms for the words used in the text without any extra efforts. Moreover, one can also filter various types of errors, which is like so amazing. It has helped me enhance my writing ability and most of all my vocabulary.

Cons: The software is a bit high-priced. And at times it suggests for the changes which deem to be incorrect. Although that does not account for that big a concern, but it would be really great if we could sort for the specific types of suggestions and not ponder over the ones that are unnecessary.

• Reviewed on 08/04/2019
Chaya C.
Freelance writer
  • Reviewed on 26/05/2020

"ProWritingAid"

Comments: I am very happy with pro-writing aid, they help be professional and a great writer. I really recommend it - the free version, not sure i would bother paying...

Pros: I like the way that pro writing captures all my little mistakes as well as passive writing, over writing and readability as well as grammar.

Cons: Sometimes it was a little annoying when pro writing tried to over glam my writing with ott verb choices or make my writing easier to read when i'm purposefully trying to be conversational rather than concise. I am overall happy and delighted with the product - although when asked if i want to take my writing to their site, it was overzealous hard to get rid of and sometimes deleted all my writing!

• Reviewed on 26/05/2020
Jennifer M.
Publishing, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 31/07/2019

"Huge help for my writing!"

Comments: It's the best editing software out there next to Grammarly. It has helped me tremendously with fixing grammatical errors, shortening my time with the editing process. I've had it for a year and just registered for another two years. Totally worth the money!

Pros: I love that it does such a thorough check for grammatical errors.

Cons: I love it, but I would love if they added a thesaurus for the overused words.

Thomas B.
Free lance writer
  • Reviewed on 18/07/2020

"Saying What You Mean"

Comments: I have already used its features to edit one of my novels and half of another. It is easy to use and offers cogent suggestions. I had to use the primary program and switched to the MS Word format once it properly activated.

Pros: That it seamlessly integrated with the Word software I use in my daily writing was a pleasant surprise. It made it immediately useable once support worked the bugs out.

Cons: It took many contacts with support to make it workable for MS Word, Once the bugs were worked out it functioned exactly as advertised.

• Reviewed on 18/07/2020
Raghu N.
none
Computer Software, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 15/06/2020

"Review of Pro-writing aid"

Comments: For the price, it is a great product. Overall, it is a must for anyone who wants to write well and correctly. I use it in combination with the free version of Grammarly.

Pros: Sticky sentences, grammar issues, and Style issues

Cons: it flags passive voice mechanically. Some mistakes have bugs in them. If you correct one, then it results in another. If you correct that, the previous error surfaces again. On rare occasions, grammatically wrong suggestions are made.

• Reviewed on 15/06/2020