ProWritingAid Reviews

by Orpheus Technology

• Overall
    4.7 /5
    4.5 /5
    4.5 /5

About ProWritingAid

Grammar checking, style improvement, and terminology management software to ensure that your writing is always of the highest quality.

Learn more about ProWritingAid

Dave K.
MD
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/03/2021

"ALternative to Grammarly"

Comments: Overall, a good product but the slow checking in real time was an off put.

Pros: The ease of installation. Download and go! There are a whole series of email blasts that you get from the authors on how to use and how to best set up the software to assist in what you are using it for.

Cons: Limited free trial and very slow at checking in real time documents over 6 pages long! Missed some of the more common words that should be checked i.e. your and you're

• Reviewed on 11/03/2021
Juan L.
Pro Boxing Promotor/Manager
Sports, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/02/2019

"Great Choice for Secure and Smart Grammar Checking"

Comments: It literally takes a couple of minutes to figure out the user-friendly tools and setting up reports to review your areas for improvement. The software is currently number one on my grammar checking software list because it does not simply focus on writing mistakes, but also the overall written quality. ProWritingAid ultimately creates a way for you to for you to develop your writing skills while providing a fresh, impacting, unique, and error-free output for readers to enjoy.

Pros: It is a friendly editing, style, and grammar checker software that contains most of the useful features you could want as a professional, newbie writer, or editor. Once you have begun to use it, it takes less than ten minutes to figure it out. The software is intuitive and the toolbar is quick to understand and informative about your errors. It can easily locate repetitiveness in sentences, which I really like. Additionally, writers will be happy to know that Google Docs and Scrivener can be combined with ProWritingAid, which makes it a very convenient-to-use checker. I love that it is inexpensive and costs less than a hundred dollars for an annual subscription compared to other types of grammar software.

Cons: There are a couple of minor downsides like being unable to make corrections when it comes to writing with textboxes online; this feature would have been handy. Second, the software has no extensions available for iOS, Firefox, or Safari integration. LaTex, a popular document preparation system, is also unfriendly with the software. Lastly, Mac users cannot use the software because there is currently no available plugin for Microsoft Word. The advantages weigh out the inconveniences overall and it will only affect you if you are particular about integrating it with other tools.

• Reviewed on 19/02/2019
Katrina W.
Marketing Consultant, Author, Editor
Publishing, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 03/08/2019

"Supports better content, faster (and cheaper)"

Comments: I'm a business writer (marketing consultant), author-publisher, and editor, so ProWritingAid is an essential part of my business. I absolutely work with human editors for big projects like books, but on the day-to-day content and short fiction where I'm on a tighter turn-around and production budget, ProWritingAid is a cost-effective and efficient way to clean up mistakes and add polish. As an editor/proofreader myself, I also use it to add value for my clients—ProWritingAid helps flag more potential corrections than I can catch in a single pass while freeing me up to keep a closer eye on the style and logic side of things.

Pros: My favourite feature is the overused words check. It's really useful to have grammatical errors and typos flagged as well, but one of the hardest things for me to catch when self-editing is too many uses of the same words in proximity. The automatic check helps me clean up content and get it out the door quickly, whether it's my own projects or as an editor.

Cons: I have older MS Word software, so it's not compatible and copying to and from the web editor can be a little clunky.

• Reviewed on 03/08/2019
Emilio D.
retired old dude
  • Reviewed on 03/01/2021

"A helping hand for grammar"

Comments: Pretty good. I think it has helped me think about composition and flow and being a more efficient writer.

Pros: I like the reports and the interactive help.

Cons: They are a bit aggressive when writing, interrupting with pop-ups without giving me chance to correct a mistake I know I've made. I would prefer a delay of a second or so between the time I click on a highlighted word and when the pop-up comes up. That would allow me to edit it on my own. It doesn't do as well allowing for stylistic choices, especially for fiction where a writer might make choices that may not be strictly governed by grammatical rigor. By far, they are really aggressive with passive voice, but sometimes that's what I want.

• Reviewed on 03/01/2021
Jessica M.
Tech Coach
Education Management, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/07/2020

"Best editor I've used"

Pros: I enjoy the ease of use, I like that I do not have to run a full assessment to edit my document on the go. I also find that the tense check is very helpful when writing fiction.

Cons: I dislike that you do not have the the option to turn rules off for only one page. I want to be able to temporarily disable some rules.

• Reviewed on 27/07/2020
Ricardo M.
COO
Consumer Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/05/2020

"Helpful Tool"

Pros: ProWritingAid does a great job monitoring grammar and spelling. Not in the same way word or pages does, but better. Lots of features available to take your writing to a level never imagined. By constantly using the program, you remember common mistake made and automatically begin changing your writing style.

Cons: The icon available in plug-ins is rather annoying. It is meant to be helpful, but it is in your face and in the way of writing. The program does not always catch all mistakes. It is important to proofread your work to make sure you didn't misspell something that ProWritingAid didn't catch.

• Reviewed on 09/05/2020
Sandra W.
Writing & Editing, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/07/2020

"Been using if for several years"

Comments: Easy to use, takes me away from my Word processor and the mundane editors there.

Pros: What I like best is the lifetime option license - bought it and done.  I also like its online capabilities, and I also use it as a secondary backup.  I'm able to use it when I'm away from home with ease.  I enjoy (most of the time) as I'm editing my work that the process slows me down and makes me think about how I come across to my readers.

Cons: Nothing, sincerely. Nothing annoys me about the product. Let's face it, it is an editor the most that it annoys is my ego.

• Reviewed on 12/07/2020
Sharon P.
  • Reviewed on 31/05/2020

"I love the polish to my writing that ProWritingAid brings."

Comments: Excellent. I really enjoy using the package. The only task I haven't mastered yet is downloading and uploading my work and managing my files within ProWritingAid.

Pros: Its availability constantly. I love the gentle prompts to polish my writing and consider stronger wording. As a newsletter editor, I notice how other writers could enjoy this package too.

Cons: My biggest concern is the use (and overuse) of commas. It would be helpful to have an information box to explain why ProWritingAid suggest the use of commas, as a reminder.

• Reviewed on 31/05/2020
Jireh G.
Certified Publishing Journalist
Newspapers, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/08/2018

"Prowriting Aid helps in so many ways!"

Pros: I like the user friendly feature of customizing the particular reports you desire. It's also easy to add your 'house style' in terms of how you want the final draft to look like.

Cons: It's hard to think of any cons, I am sure for the precise articulate person there may be some things unattractive about the program. However, I have used it for over 3 years and it serves all of my necessities.

• Reviewed on 31/08/2018
Barry N.
CEO of Agrosearch
Food Production, Self Employed

"Self Editing"

Comments: My edited writing is clearer and more concise. What I write expresses my thoughts better and I can deliver my message in a better format.

Pros: 1. Easy to use
2.Allows you to edit your writing. It is quite boring and difficult to rewrite, but it definitely improves your writing skills.
3. The program checks for plagiarism.
4. The program helps me to be a better writer.

Cons: Suggestions always are in the direction of the simplest language for dummies. If you are trying to write at a higher level the suggestions are useless.
The program doesn't help you enough with passive verbs and when it does it often gives you suggestions that don't fit the story.
Emotions- the program tells you to show not tell, but gives no suggestions.

April C.
Author
Publishing, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 29/05/2019

"Best editing software out there!"

Comments: As an author, I need lots of eyes on my work. As an Independent author, finances are tight, that's where ProWritingAid comes in handy! You can almost always find a discount code online for 30%-40% off, though, to be honest, when compared to a product like Grammarly, their prices really aren't that steep, to begin with. They have several licensing options, so there's something to fit every budget and need. On top of that, ProWritingAid integrates into just about every writing platform there is so it's easy to use it where you need it. I primarily use Google Docs, and it's right there under add-ons, which makes it super easy and convenient, I don't have to copy and paste my work into a separate program, although they do have their own platform if you'd like! There are several different programs within the add-on itself as well, so lots of different ways to check your work. Personally, I love their grammar and repetitive word tools and use them the most. But their consistency checker comes in real handy if you can't remember which format of time or style of dating you've used! ha! I recommend this product every chance I get! It's absolutely worth the cost!

Pros: Easy to use.
Awesome customer support.
Integrates right into GoogleDocs and other platforms.
Tons of different programs.
Amazing discounts on licensing.

Cons: Absolutely nothing I dislike about using this software.

• Reviewed on 29/05/2019
Thomas H.
Consultant

"Best on the market"

Comments: Great product!

Pros: Supper's easy-to-use and generally spot-on in terms of grammar and style.

Cons: The Gmail plugin for chrome browser plug-in can be a little bit of a resource hog. But once you know what's going on it's easy to enable and disable it as needed.

Mark S.
Mental Health Care, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 13/08/2020

"A Wonderful Writing Aid"

Comments: I write daily, process notes, reports, etc. and use it regularly for all I do now. I have not yet applied it to any of my longer writing (books, longer articles, etc.) but am looking forward to that.

Pros: There are several things to love about this software. One is that it integrates with all the writing platforms I use in a simple intuitive way (it is even helping my grammar in this review). It also gives excellent information in several areas and is helping me think more precisely about my writing, even though I have only used it for a couple of weeks.

Cons: It took a bit of work to get it set up. I think the most confusing thing was there was another (I think older, outdated) plugin for chrome. Once I got the correct plugin, things went well.

• Reviewed on 13/08/2020
Karen R.
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 13/06/2020

"I love ProWritingAid"

Comments: Excellent. I'm a new small business owner and first impressions are everything! ProWritingAid helps me make that great first impression.

Pros: I worry less about making errors in my writing because Pro Writing Aid has my back!

Cons: I guess if I could make it tell me what words to use when the program calls me out for passive voice... maybe that is too much to dream for....

• Reviewed on 13/06/2020
Saswata M.
Researcher
Research, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/05/2020

"Nice software"

Pros: Ease of use and user friendly are the salient features that I liked

Cons: Limited range of features in a free trial

• Reviewed on 12/05/2020
Melody K.
author

"Wonderful Product!"

Comments: One of my writing connections recommended the program to me and I waited and waited before using it. I knew from her description that I'd want to buy it and I just didn't have the funds. I was right, too. The program is so helpful and so comprehensive that you can't help but love it. I'm so happy it was recommended to me. It was easy to input my document and immediately, the trouble spots started showing up. The suggestions are most often spot-on, but I have the option to ignore if I feel the item is correct. I love it when I nail a document completely, which has happened only once. But wow! It works wonders on your psyche to make you feel like you're on the right track!

Pros: I love that this program offers a free option, and that the free option shows you how to fix to so many different things in your writing. It's so comprehensive and I can't wait until I can save up the money to buy the program. I recommended it to my girls to help them with school papers because I found it so helpful for my own writing. I write fantasy and being able to add strange new words to the dictionary has been a huge help in identifying whether my new words are spelled consistently throughout the document.

Cons: I write fantasy novels so my work is very long. My chapters are always longer than 500 words so it's a bit difficult to be certain my chapters are all making sense when using the free option. However, that works well for editing my blog posts. Other than that limit, I haven't come across anything I dislike about the program and since that's the benefit of buying the program...I can't really complain. :)

Enkhbayar J.
Geologist
Mining & Metals, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/07/2020

"Mining drilling log"

Pros: Correct sentence spelling and grammar errors.

Cons: Correct sentence spelling and grammar are not perfect.

• Reviewed on 30/07/2020
Rory M.
Enterprise Support Officer
Higher Education, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/08/2018

"Just Brilliant"

Comments: I use this for all my writing and I can't tell you how much it has improved my writing. I am learning all the time and couldn't live without it now

Pros: Ease of use and amazing array of checking features

Cons: Plugs instead can be poor, but I believe they are working on these at the moment

• Reviewed on 21/08/2018
Laura Z.
Home health nurse and author
Medical Practice, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/04/2021

"ProWritingAid is Amazing!"

Comments: I have had to contact customer service twice. 1st time because of an email address error I made, second for a new promotional offer I received. Their customer service was fantastic! They responded rapidly, were friendly, polite and helpful, and resolved my issues! They even refunded what I paid initially to honor the new offer I received!

Pros: It is easy to use and has numerous, detailed reports available that help me improve my writing.

Cons: The only thing I would complain about is it seems very difficult to scroll down and view all reports. I'm not sure if it's a screen size issue.

• Reviewed on 21/04/2021
Bryan R.
Digital Design Specialist
Design, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 01/09/2020

"Gotta Have This"

Pros: As a designer and professional in my field, it is paramount to be professional. ProWritingAid allows you to be grammatically concise and correct, spelling error free, and all at the click of your mouse.

Cons: The price was a steep. I also find that it is a bit 'off' when trying to restructure a sentence.

• Reviewed on 01/09/2020
Patsy W.
Student
Higher Education, Self Employed

"Great Product"

Pros: I love the fact that it is so easy to use and the overall quality of the software. I love the fact that it offers articles and other resources to help with my writing and that it helps me put words into my writing that I probably wouldn't have otherwise without this program. Great job guys keep up the wonderful work.

Cons: I think that it should be offered free for students to help them along in their writing and educational ventures.

Freestone W.
retired
Retail, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 27/05/2020

"a surprise benefit hidden away, in the software."

Comments: Very good so far.

Pros: While similar to other editing tools, when I installed the Chrome browser app version, I had a pleasant surprise. It prepared me to have me to copy-past my work into the prowriting worksheet. NO! The program works right in any window where typing is required.

Cons: Sometimes when I edit, the correction is one character off. This problem might be only due to me having another editor active at the same time!

• Reviewed on 27/05/2020
Christina H.

"Excellent editing tool"

Comments: ProWritingAid has definitely improved my writing. It makes me think through how to word things concisely and without cliches.

Pros: I like that it can be as comprehensive or as specific in its feedback as I want it to be. It is flexible, efficient, and it catches things that I cannot. I have used other editing apps, but ProWritingAid is by far the best.

Cons: Sometimes I feel that the system wants me to review edits in certain order, but I want to review them in a different order. This is easy to navigate around, so it is a minor inconvenience.

Gyaviira L.
Design, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/06/2020

"Its easy to use"

Comments: Great. I'd easily recommend it to any user. How I wish it has a desktop app feature.

Pros: Pro writing provides additional editorial features intertwined with Thesaurus enabling writers and users to write, edit, check and easily compare their words and writing style with a vast array of options.

Cons: Its linkage with Thesauraus and the robust grammar editing feature and repetitive word check feature.

• Reviewed on 14/06/2020
Tylluan P.
Publishing, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/05/2020

"Excellent piece of Software"

Comments: Very helpful and the customer service is prompt and attentive.

Pros: Very easy and intuitive to use, with daily emails to highlight various features. Very helpful. Yes, you must get used to it, but you have to get used to using anything new. It helps us check edits, saving time and energy. I am still exploring the different features, and learning new things every day. One of the best pieces of software I've used in a long time and I'm already relying on it every day. Wish I'd found it a long time ago!

Cons: I can't think of anything. So far, it's working very well.

• Reviewed on 28/05/2020