15 years helping British businesses

About SumUp

Get paid easily, process orders quickly, & manage your money more efficiently. SumUp creates solutions that make your business thrive.

Learn more about SumUp

Pros:

Cons:

If you do the yearly tax declaration on your own, I sometimes find it hard to transfer the data.

SumUp ratings

4.3
4.0
4.1
4.1

7.6/10

SumUp has an overall rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars based on 107 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used SumUp before?

Krisztina
Krisztina
Manager in Hungary
Restaurants, 11–50 Employees

Daily user

Pros:

Easy, reports are available, filters are useful

Cons:

connection sometimes is not so good, but mostly no problem

Shanna
Designer / Owner in UK
Retail, 2–10 Employees

Easy to accept mobile payments

Comments: Love it! I take it with me whenever I do markets

Pros:

I love traveling with my SumUp reader knowing I will always be able to very easily make in-person sales. The card reader is very easy to use and keeps the customer flow moving very quickly.

Cons:

Sometimes the reader stalls when processing a lot of quick transactions but is easy to re-start it to get it going again.

Edmond
Director in UK
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 2–10 Employees

Theft, Sumup are holding back £20,000 + of our funds for no reason without giving any reason

1.0 last month New

Pros:

To start with they were great now Sumup are holding back £20,000 + of our funds for no reason without giving any reason

Manuel
Founder in Germany
Photography, Self Employed

One of the most important tools for every company

Comments: It's really fast, easy to use and since I am using it, I really like to write invoices. Before I did code my own system to create pdf invoices automatically, then I used word-files and an excel sheet to write down anything I need for the month, but I really hated doing it because it was so much work and it took me so much time. The most awesome feature I love about Debitoor is the option to import my business account so that I can go through it and use the incoming and outgoing payments as a todo list.

Pros:

At first I found it very hard to get started with invoices and all that stuff that comes with starting your own company. I tested a lot of different softwares and I decided to go with Debitoor because it was the most easiest tool to use and I love that everything works out so quickly with just a few clicks, because I really want to focus on my business and not on the invoicing.

Cons:

I would love to see more AI improvements that maybe automatically do or suggest stuff for me to reduce the amount of time I need to spend with Debitoor, but besides that I love using it.

Christopher
Self employed in Germany
Internet, Self Employed

Easiest software I’ve ever seen

Comments: I love their customer services. They respond always super fast!

Pros:

Easy to use, even for people who have their troubles with computer stuff

Cons:

Sometimes the bank stuff could be a little less strict.

Crystal
Owner / Manager in US
Food & Beverages, 2–10 Employees

SumUp Does The Job

Pros:

I like the fact that SumUp is mobile. All I have to do is download the app to a device with the internet, pair the NFC reader, and go about my business. I don't have to charge the NFC often either. It lasts for days before needing a charge, so if I forget to charge it, I'm still good to go.

Cons:

There is nothing at this time that I don't like about Sumup. It does the job.

Lexie
digital marketing in Australia
Design, Self Employed

Do not buy if you’re in Australia

Comments: Do not get this if you’re in Australia. Buy square instead. I purchased 5.5 weeks before my market event for Christmas, where I had purchased a lot of stock to sell. The device came quickly, I’ll give them that. I set it up, loaded all my products on the back end and did the verification process. The reader sat there for the rest of the time until two days before my event, I turned it on just to make sure it was working. Everything seemed fine but something in the app said I needed to verify myself, which I had already done (sent my drivers license etc), so I did it again and it said it should only take a few hours to verify, which was fine because I still had two days until the event. The day before it was still not verified but in the app it tells you that it’s connected and working, so I assumed it would be ok after going through the verification process twice already! There’s also no number to call, so you don’t have a lot of options or support on a weekend. I got to the event and the reader declined ALL payments because of a security issue. I lost thousands of dollars in sales because nobody caries cash anymore. I sent a support ticket with all of this info and I get a response THREE days later saying that my account is now verified and I can start taking transactions. Bit late and I can’t get rid of this Christmas stock now until Christmas 2024. 6 months of planning down the drain because I decided to give SumUp a go, when I should have just gone with Square.

Pros:

It’s relatively low cost upfront and cheaper transaction fees but I never got to use it!

Cons:

Customer service is non existent. You have to verify yourself multiple times and then it’s likely it won’t accept payments on the day you need it most

Managing Owner in US
Translation & Localization, Self Employed

Good system for writing invoices and basic income/expense tracking

Comments: As stated above, overall I'm happy with Debitoor - what it actually does it does fairly well. But I don't like the fact that they try to advertise themselves as this all-in-one invoicing and accounting solution when the feature set is still very limited. For example, you can't even create or upload your own invoice templates (something many similar services allow) - you have to set up your invoice template using Debitoor's limited options.

Pros:

I like the fact that it's easy to create invoices and you can track whether the recipient has received them. You can also link your bank accounts and categorize and track income and expenses (i.e. whether an invoice has been paid, etc.) For these purposes, Debitoor works really well.

Cons:

Despite Debitoor's claims, I wouldn't use the system for preparing and filing taxes or working with a tax advisor unless your underlying situation is very simple. As soon as things get even slightly more complex, you find that Debitoor simply doesn't support a number of different scenarios. My tax advisor has also said that the reports/export files that they receive are more or less unusable and do not conform to standard German accounting practice.

Carol Ann
Owner in France
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed

SumUP is perfect for small businesses who want to accept card payments

Comments: My overall experience with SumUp has been great, when I have needed help, their support has been quick and helpful.

Pros:

I like the fact that SumUp makes it easy for small business to accept card payments and also allows for the creation of a basic website which is perfect for small craft businesses like mind.

Cons:

I don't like the fact that I can't use SumUp on my Hauwi phone but I can use Zettle to I do have both payment options I tend to use Sumup for my website payments and for payments made in my studio and Zettle for payments at markets and fairs.

Kendrick
Owner in US
Food & Beverages, Self Employed

Love SumUp

Comments: 2+ years and still going, I plan on using SumUp for a long time.

Pros:

I am able to take payments cash or card.

Cons:

Nothing to dislike at all. This service is great.

Kimmo
Board member in Finland
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Excellent payment system to our shop

Comments: SumUp is our credit/debit card system and it allow our customers to pay with their cards. Excellent.

Pros:

We have been using SumUp around two years now at our shop (fashion) for taking all card payments. Over 100 000,-/year has gone via SumUp and it has never failed us, not once. Easy to use (both shop and customer), all main payment cards, fast transactions which has never failed. Good reports.

Cons:

There is nothing not to like so far. We haven't use invoicing, so we cannot say anything about that.

kolja
Business Consultant in Italy
Building Materials, Self Employed

State-of-the-art

Comments: Time and espacially costs savings for all accounts and tax tasks/management

Pros:

Absolutely easy to get an invoice - lesss than 30 seconds! Great to admin all costs incl. the pdf files which are read automatically so that I only need to check and add Especially its totally easy (GERMAN market) to send your tax-farecast to the local authorities by one-click only - very cool!

Cons:

nothing - all is very fine There is nothing to mention

Anne
Branding & Storytelling für Selbstständige in Germany
Online Media, Self Employed

Happy to use Debitoor

Comments: I love Debitoor, cause it just works. I can easily handle everything around payment, bills and taxes.

Pros:

I can store customer data, collect all invoices at one place, was able to connect my bank account and can easily send invoices with a "pay now online"-button

Cons:

The stats / graphs seem to be a bit messy and the design-options aren't fully convincing

Hendrik
Iwner in UK
Events Services, 2–10 Employees

What a gem

Comments: Been great for business and came in very handy

Pros:

A great gadget to take payments anywhere on the go

Cons:

Must have a phone signal to be able to use it. If your phone dies or loses signal you can’t accept payments

Jens
Jens
DJ in Austria
Music, Self Employed

Debitoor

Comments: After my DJ Jobs i creat directly in the club my invoice ! I never forget to invoice my booker ! Thats Amazing

Pros:

Its an easy system where you creat invoices in less then 2 min

Cons:

There is nothing to complain. I have my perfect payplan and everything what i need

Lack of the basic integrations

Pros:

- Very simple to use, other programs should follow their example as for UI / design - Relatively competitive prices - One of the very few apps available for the Spanish market/taxation

Cons:

- No Stripe integration - Very primitive and problematic Paypal integration - WooCommerce integration is through IEX Debitoor integration (external, not free) - Really messed up data export (all in Spanish, btw) and importing your data into a new program might turn out difficult not relying on third party professionals.

Carsten
CEO in Germany
Consumer Electronics, 2–10 Employees

Easy to use, but not fully complete

Comments: It really enables one to do accounting without much detailed knowledge.

Pros:

It's really easy to use. What it can do, it does really well. Both the browser interface as well as the app.

Cons:

It doesn't support some basic things like loans. Pricing is okish. For some it might be cheaper than lexoffice, for some it might be more expensive.

Anais
Trainer in France
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed

Cheap and easy to use

Pros:

It's really easy to use, you download the app and follow few steps, works perfectly

Cons:

Creating products in the app is not clear : I did it but I could'nt find how to select them when the client wants to pay, so I'm not sure what the purpose of this is

Matthias
Senior Android Developer in Germany
Information Services, Self Employed

Close to be perfect for freelancers

Pros:

It is really easy to use. Has all feautures I would ever need.

Cons:

For some cases, the tax selection does not act as expected. E.g. for a company located in Ireland but with a VAT number I cannot set a tax percentage. The category"travel costs is a bit too broad and could use some finer splitting.

Sophie
Art Director in Germany
Graphic Design, Self Employed

All in All very good

Pros:

I have this tool now since three years and it is very handy once you know how it works. Also my tax accountant likes it because its easy for him to use it once a year to do my taxes.

Cons:

I dont like the look of the invoices. I always do them twice so my clients get real nice ones.

photographer in Austria
Photography, Self Employed

Debitor

Comments: i had made some suggestions for improvements and they didn't got included jet ... but the service staff was nice!

Pros:

easy to use and good looking frontend ...

Cons:

there are a few features missing - like getting attachments involved "regularly"

Magda
Architect in UK
Architecture & Planning, Self Employed

The very easy app

Comments: I've been using it for my small business, that's exactly what I need to keep me in less mess!
Easy & cheap for startups!

Pros:

Easy invoicing and expense records

Laura
Freelancer in Germany
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Debitoor makes my bookkeeping much easier

Pros:

Invoices can be created very quickly and easily. I take pictures of the receipts and then save them in the Debitoor cloud. The app gives me access to my accounting at any time. Also reminders and credit notes are quickly created. The entry prices are reasonable and I am very satisfied with the overall scope of services.

Cons:

I have nothing to criticize on Debitoor.

Karen
Boss in Australia
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed

Find a different POS system

Comments: Bought one of these devices. When it arrived I got a message saying they needed to verify my identity. So I sent copies of licence and.....nothing. Zip. Nada. Wrote to "customer service" and got back ... nothing, zip, nada. Don't waste your money on this

Pros:

The device looks ok. Not heavy enough to be a paper weight though.

Cons:

Zero customer support. Ignored all communication from me.

Sebastian
Video Producer in Austria
Motion Pictures & Film, Self Employed

Good for Small business

Comments: I have a simple overview about my money

Pros:

That i see all my bank accounts and transactions

Cons:

That i cannot add two transactions into one,. I want to customize my transactions