Square Payroll has proven a valuable solution to organizing and managing many vital aspects of our financial output system to employees.

Reviewed on 28/12/2018
Louis C.
Lead Purchase / Sales
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We were pleasantly surprised by Square Payroll's deep feature set and found that this application can contain just about every aspect
of payroll function to employees. This application offers access for employees to individual accounts in order import hours worked and to create
reports regarding vacation hours or even company benefits to name a just few of many parameters.

Pros: We appreciated the inclusion of so many capabilities inside the Square Payroll application such as salary calculators which generate
accurate payroll rates individually or by group. This is one of many features Square Payroll offers through an easy to use front line
interface. Our team was also impressed with Square Payroll's ability to integrate with our third party operational management software
already in place. Synchronization is proven in most cases quite fluid. As Square Payroll supports mobile use on IOS and Android, access is
readily available for employees when remote.

Cons: With such an outstanding and comprehensive application , our team found Square Payroll's customer service difficult to contact
and almost as equally difficult to work with during our installation and integration phases. We are happy to report that this level
of service improved as we progressed with Square Payroll's application features. There is a rather robust and informed online forum that
is available where so many issues can be resolved thus improving client quality control levels.

Easy & Intuitive Payroll Software

Reviewed on 19/09/2016
Josie L.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Square's Payroll is insanely easy to use and navigate. I've been using it since Jan 1, 2015 and my only wish is that I started it sooner. I like that I can offer direct deposit to my employees and pick how often to pay them. They love it too because it's so simple, they don't have to worry about payroll. The backend for both me and my employees is also really easy to understand. I highly recommend it.

Pros: It's easy to use and understand. My employees said signing up and filling out their w-2 info was the easiest ever. Nobody had to ask me (or their Mom's!), it's direct and in plain English.
It calculates paid sick time for me (as per the new sick leave act in CA).
Submitting my quarterly federal tax returns and CA quarterly report of wages is also easy. It's so easy I don't even know how to do it because Square does it automatically for me!
Customer service is also great. One time I received a notice from EDD that I filed late, I called Square and they took care of it. My fee was waived, I haven't had an issue since.

Cons: I wish the Pay history offered more sorting options like their Sales information. I'd like to be able to see it by year, month, quarter, etc. I know Payroll is still kinda "new" so it wouldn't surprise me if this is offered later.

Square has taken great care of us. Always there when we have questions. Simple to employees

Erica S.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: 1. Self controlled payroll (i.e. I can edit punches, see everything behind everyone's payroll).
2. Much faster/more efficient punches (no longer writing it down, having employees punch in and out on the ipad is so much easier).
3. I can do payroll from anywhere. I once did it on the top of Haleakala in Hawaii.
Efficient filing from payroll specialists, and being able to remove employees right away if they are no longer working for us.

Pros: 1. The option to fix things right on your account. It makes accuracy and ease seamless. It is also very quick.
2. The customer support! Because I'm constantly on the go with my job, being able to send an email and receive an email response to my question makes it easy anytime and anywhere to get help. The responses are always knowledgable, patient, and consistent.
3. Being able to see the stats on our payroll is AMAZING. With previous payroll specialist it seemed like we didn't have the option to really see behind the scenes, but now we are able to see everything and every penny.

Cons: There are times that the software gets glitchy when people punch in and/or out (will say they punched in or out but didn't actually/will say they worked a different amount of hours than they actually worked). Employees can usually tell from the punch screen though if something went wrong. After letting me know, it is always an easy fix, but still a fix to have to take care of.

Square itself has been easy to use and mostly reliable.

Reviewed on 10/12/2017
Donette O.
Customer Support

Pros: The software is simple and pretty easy to use. Customer service is pretty strong and helpful with the exception of the payroll department.

Cons: The fact that an apple update, in which we couldn't control if the iPad updated EVEN when we had it set to "do not automatically update," completely messed up our system for a couple weeks was very inconvenient and was a total hinderance on our business. We had to wait for that second apple update to fix the issue but in the mean time we could't print receipts, use the reader, or open the drawer. It seems that Square should have made some kind of correction or glitch fix in the mean time to help their users continue using with ease. Also the system has gone down completely in the past, and even though you all apologize... it still puts our business at risk when we can't complete transactions, harming our customers and our reputation. We should have been compensated for all of the trouble that we faced. For payroll, it is extremely frustrating to not be able to talk to a live person when we have questions or issues. The customer service in the payroll department is not good.

This is significantly easier/cheaper than big competitors

Reviewed on 21/08/2018
VP, Marketing & Communications
Consumer Goods, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I joined in the beta testing and have loved it. It definitely helped us cut our administrative costs for payroll.

Pros: I love that I can run payroll in 10 minutes or less and that they file all the necessary paperwork. The cost is based per employee, which works for my business model. They have a new app for folks on the go, too. I've downloaded that, but not used it yet.

Cons: Editing timecards isn't too bad, however, you have to wait until the employee is clocked out to make the edit and it can be easy to get busy and forget. But sometimes the system doesn't let me add a timecard from scratch. The employee doesn't drop down in the menu so I have to go add the hours to an existing timecard. This isn't a big deal if you're not carefully monitoring costs, etc. Also, my employees go back and forth between locations, so if they start at location 1 to pick supplies up and clock in there, they're clocked in at that location for the whole shift. I wish there was an option to select which location they're working at.

full function, price-friendly

Reviewed on 17/04/2018
Kk K.
Assistant
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Save a lot of time and figure out a lot of things via this one platform. Can check the sales and manage the customer anytime via one device.

Pros: This app offers a series of services, covering lot of services about marketing promotions, employee payroll, sales report and the customer management. I like its convenience of operating the whole store and simplify the management procedures via only set up some services. I can directly contact customer via the loyalty program and quickly gain some feedback for better improvement for the product and service. Additionally, it offers some beautiful design templates for the e-gift card, which save some cost in printing out paper gift card and design fee.

Cons: The customer service is just OK because sometimes it didn't email you back in time. Square mostly will lead you to the community to see how your problem can be fixed. It did waste some time to find a related correct way to fix the problem or get an answer for the question.

Over all good, easy to pay employees.

Reviewed on 05/11/2017
Marisol G.
Owner/Hairstylist
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Easy to learn and use

Pros: Easy to use and customer service is always willing to help but at time since they don't use the products. Some questions are hard for them to answer, giving a text book answer and not fixing the problem. Even though they were ready and willing to help in every way. I have called multiple times and have had great experiences with staff.

Cons: Easier way for a receptionist to ring out different employees to lessen any mistakes, when pulling reports. Or..... giving an option to change service provider when pulling reports, if a mistake is made. Sometimes making the report irrelevant having to manually add all service and retail because something was rung up under an another employee. When paying employees commission a mistake can create tension. Ringing out you can not make any mistakes without voiding the transaction. when the only mistake was it was under a wrong employee name.

Simple and easy to use, great value for the cost!

Danielle C.
Customer Support

Pros: Square payroll is very simple to use and gets payroll done quickly. Our employees clock in through our Square POS so when it's time to do payroll, all I have to do is upload their timecards, enter their tips or sick leave and it's done. I've used other payroll systems that are not as simple or user intuitive and I really can't believe how much time I've wasted. I love having all of my sales information and employee information in one place. It makes it easier to compare your sales VS labor and budget accordingly. I would definitely recommend it!

Cons: Customer service could be improved, mainly with wait times and resolution of issues. Usually I have to re-tell my problem to multiple customer service reps before they pass it along to someone else who will then get back to me the next day. Relaying information regarding changes employees make to their profiles, like W-4s could also be improved. It would be nice to have a separate column to enter Sick Leave VS PTO when doing payroll.

Phenomenal!

Reviewed on 04/12/2017
Mary S.
Translation & Localization, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: The benefits, saves you alot of time, money, and customer support are there when you need them, if you need them, SQUARE dashboard is so friendly user that there is no way you will need customer support.

Pros: I am the owner of a small business and just recently hired a Contractor. I was so excited to find out that Square had this feature for Direct Deposit to pay the Contractor not only that but they also take care of the 1099 form as well. I have been using Square to take payments over the phone, through the Virtual Payment and my sales have increase, I love the features about sending an email to request payments and reminders, the Dashboard is so friendly user that I am able to navigate anywhere with no issues, no questions, no doubts. I love the people behind it for making this process way to easy for people like me that hate complications. Thank you, Square. No one competes with you. I love you!

Excellent once you get the hang of it

Reviewed on 07/05/2019
Cham W.
Construction, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Square Payroll was easy to set up, and adding new employees is a very simple and fast process. Our employees have an online portal where they can edit their direct deposit details/address/withholdings/etc.
As the administrator I'm able to import their hours from third party programs as well (currently using T-Sheets)
The deadlines to submit payroll are clearly displayed, as well as the window of time when you can cancel or edit a submitted payroll.

Cons: For our company there are multiple pay rates depending on the work (regular hourly pay, drive time, etc.) When importing from T-Sheets I have to manually go through every time entry and specify what pay rate will be applied to each shift for every employee.
It's not possible either to change how direct deposits are labeled on the employee's bank statement. Instead of having my company name listed it just shows "SQUARE PAYROLL"

Payroll or bust!

Reviewed on 28/12/2018
Tiffany C.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Square Payroll is amazing as they file my quarterly payroll taxes for me. It is very easy to log on to squareup.com and check my analytics for payroll immediately. Very user friendly! Highly recommend.

Pros: Let's face it. As a business owner, we need to have payroll. Forget writing hours on paper (and searching for it later)... Square payroll is easy to read, reports your labor cost right there for you, shows employee break times, etc. I couldn't live without it!

Cons: Quite honestly, I've used it for two and a half years, and I have nothing to complain about!

Good software at a great price

Dena G.
Managing Partner
Customer Support

Pros: The software is very user friendly, which is a major plus of the software. I like that you can add Memos to the paystubs now. This is a nice feature. Also the software's features are of a great value for the services provided.

Cons: I do not like that you cannot generate complete timecard spreadsheets which include the date, start and end times for each day for a specified time period. You can download individual timecards for any given day, and you can generate a spreadsheet with the total number of hours worked for a given time period, but you cannot generate a single spreadsheet which includes the date, start and end times for every single date in the time range. I have addressed this with Square support and have asked for this to be something considered in software updates. Employers in CA are required to maintain timecards for their employees so it would be very convenient if Square could add this feature to the software. Having to download each individual day's timecards is rather burdensome. Also, Customer Service has not always been very helpful. Sometimes I just get a cut and paste with the rep which does not address my specific inquiry.

Ditch Your Other Payroll Providers ASAP

Reviewed on 19/09/2016
Christopher H.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I was getting fed up with Wells Fargo payroll for years. Every time I requested a change, such as employee bonuses or salary increases, they would screw up payroll for everybody. I knew that whenever I would ask them for something, things would get screwed up. I was looking for a change, and considered Bank of America. The price was comparable to Wells Fargo. Then I heard that Square was doing payroll. I was instantly intrigued, because I like the credit card payments using the card (see them, but never used the service for our business). Square has a reputation for technological innovation, and the price was very good. I like allowing the employees to manage their own accounts and to get their documentation. Square Payroll rocks! I just wish they had the ability to automatically run salaried payrolls. I don't like to run payroll. All our employees are salaried and get paid the same amount twice each month. However, we do give Xmas bonuses, which is an annual change request that Wells Fargo would screw up most years.

Pros: Employees have real-time access to their payroll reports and manage their own accounts

Cons: I have to run payroll for salaried employees every two weeks.

ease to use, all in one, responsive

Reviewed on 21/12/2017
Cynthia M.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Most of my small business POS and payroll tasks can be handled with this one system.
There is a lot of flexibility to match the system to my business specific categories, product lines, items and variations.

Cons: Lack of automating conversion of information from this to quickbooks. Returns/exchanges
Library organization limitations - you put what is a priority to you at the top instead of what is a proirity to me.
Square Gift cards are too expensive to use.

Good but it can be better.

Johnny L.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Not having to file some of my own business documents

Pros: I like that it is so easy to charge our customers and I also like that we can create invoices, emails, feedback, etc. I also like how your staff sends resources via email to try to help ,e

Cons: Staff need to be more knowledgeable and familiar w/ their area of expertise so that they assist us better when we have any issues. Also, when I try to create recurring invoices for clients, it will not accept them but it will accept the transaction through point of sale. Also, my employees are in a union and I feel like having to manually input my employees union fees takes a lot of effort

Really enjoy Square Payroll!

Reviewed on 09/01/2018
Jason M.
COO and Co-Founder
Consumer Goods, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: I love how employees can set up direct deposit OR have a manual check, along with Square withholding the taxes and telling me exactly how much has to written in the check. Very easy to manage employees, adjust hourly rate, overtime, timecards and off-cycle payments.

Cons: Wish there was a way to bulk add employee timecards. For example, if an employee works 5 days a week from home (I know of Homebase, but from a manual perspective) and the same hours every day. I currently have to submit 5 timecards, instead of one batch one. Employees ask about seeing a breakdown of their hours inside of a pay period.

This is my first payroll experience, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Cassandra L.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I enjoy the convenience of having payroll streamlined with my point of sale system.

Pros: I've been very happy with the ease of contacting a real person to answer questions, of which I've had many. I appreciate how simple and streamlined the process is, and that I don't have to file any of my own paperwork.

Cons: When I signed up, it was at the beginning of Q2, and I had to run offcycle payments for Q1. Instead of filing Q1 late on it's own, Square combined it with Q2 and filed it all together. This was an inconvenience to sort out, and caused lots of confusion. I am still waiting to find out if I have to pay an IRS penalty because of this issue. Also, when I was signing up and adding employees, the software glitched and created multiple accounts for several of my employees. There is no way to completely remove these erroneous accounts from my employees list, so at times it has been difficult to sort through to figure out which is the "real" account for each employee. I'm currently trying to figure out how to find out the YTD payments for one of my employees, and I'm having a hard time finding this information.

A surprise, random audit put your services to the test...Passed with flying colors Thank you!

Reviewed on 01/11/2018
Serene C.
Professional Residential Cleaning Services
Hospitality, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I was recently audited by the NC State of Employment Security and passed
with flying colors because we use Square up for our payroll services.
I am busy leading my business, which means wearing many hats, and I have
always depended on Square up to file the right forms, charge the correct
rates, and pay my employees.
All I have to do is plug in the time cards each week and click the pay
button.
The surprise, random audit put your services to the test...Thank you! Sincerely

Pros: Ease of use for sure, navigation, and customer support

Cons: Our team will have the same time cards...would like a feature that duplicates the time and can change the employee would be helpful

easy to use system that always works the way it's supposed to

Tiana Y.
Operations Coordinator
Customer Support

Pros: I really like the functionality and user friendliness. It has everything we need and I was really excited to find out that we can now do pre-tax deductions. It's the total package.

Cons: I really wish it integrated better with QuickBooks Online, but I mostly blame QBO for that. It would be nice not to have to enter a manual journal entry every pay run, but it's not so cumbersome that it makes it not worth it.

We've had some issues with duplicate employees which ends up with missed assigned tokens. Fixed now

Reviewed on 14/11/2017
Roger T.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We use Square for our POS, Marketing, Loyalty, Gift Cards, Capital so adding Payroll was a no brainer if it had the features and functionally we needed. And so far it has.

Pros: We came over for years of using Quicken Online Payroll. Square is a little more expensive, but handles more with is less work for us. Also the integration with Homebase is a plus. Now that we can actually talk to someone in Square Payroll Support is a BIG plus. We had a ongoing issue for a while and Lauren came to the rescue! We started using in Jan '17 to try for a year, and are going to stay. Square has been good about implementing new features.
Speaking of features, it would be nice to run a payroll for the iPhone dashboard app. We where able to do this with Quicken. Not a deal breaker but definitely a plus.

Cons: The only real issue is adding a New employee. One would think you would start by adding the new employee from within payroll (which I did for some time) When I signed up I didn't remember seeing any instructions on such. After much trial and error, and many support calls I think we have the correct steps down.

Good

Reviewed on 07/12/2017
Iris G.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Friendly to use. Easy to maintain. Allows many options,
Like it in white, looks clean ( saw the new stand in black, didn't like it)

Cons: The stand is not practical for busy business.
We purchased two years ago and has the problem with connection all the time. Poor design. Also, the new version is very expensive and the company doesn't take the old one to give some credit in exchange.

The POS system is easy to use, fairly simple to set up, and does not cost that much.

Reviewed on 12/12/2017
Sterling T.
Executive Director
Customer Support

Pros: It's ease of use. I do not have anything else to say regarding this topic, it's just easy to use and easy to teach.

Cons: The only thing I do not like about this software is that the reports for cash drawers are limited. If I want to see my totals for pay-outs throughout a month, I have to click on each individual cash drawer, which is time consuming and annoying. It makes it challenging for me to track cash transactions, especially when it is automatically synced to quickbooks. The cash drawer reports are not synced to quickbooks.

Overall, Square is a great product that I expect will only improve with time. Excited where it goes!

Reviewed on 08/12/2017
Marketing & Accounts Manager
Food & Beverages
Customer Support

Pros: So easy to use and train new hires; multitude of features; off-line and mobile capabilities; constant updates that improve the app

Cons: Bugs are slow to fix; very limited data and customer analysis possibilities; features are confusingly different in the dashboard and Square app; privacy protection for customers doesn't allow us to make important changes; expensive

Really great!

Reviewed on 26/01/2017
Janet W.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: This makes payroll and reporting a breeze. Can't imagine anything more user friendly. We have
recommended Square products to many of our small business owner friends.

Pros: Easy set up, ease of use, easy to use in the field. We love inventory tracking, payroll service, reports that are user friendly. We get our deposits quickly. We've used Square since the first readers were
made available.

I like the software but I need much more training on it.

Reviewed on 11/12/2017
Carmella A.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: payroll

Pros: Easy to use when given support. Was fast to set up to make payroll but needed more support in overall set up. I can pay people...but am behind on everything else / Should have been a comprehensive set up process.

Cons: There should be onboarding. I signed up and and am way behind in updating records etc. I have it set up so i am paying people but entering in all the old data from previous payrolls for year etc...doing it right ....prob not. There needs to be an onboarding process. I am way behind now and it is stressful. There also needs to be more integration with quikbooks or instructions on how to do it and set it up. I havent been able to reconcile my books since I signed up. I am sure most business use QB and Square. I asked multiple time but my requests were not understood. making payroll is one thing and the system is good for that but business need the bookkeeping set up help too. I am struggling with this and getting further behind each week. I have looked online for help from QB and Square to no avail.