15 years helping British businesses

About DiskStation

With Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) you can set up and run various virtual machines, including Windows and Linux, on Synology NAS.

Learn more about DiskStation

Pros:

Disk station have many feature and function for small to large business. Easy to access from anywhere and rapid access to your personal files.

Cons:

To set up remote login was a bit tricky specially setting up a DDNS.

DiskStation ratings

4.6
4.2
4.7
4.6

9.2/10

DiskStation has an overall rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars based on 90 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used DiskStation before?

Harshit
Harshit
Software intern in India
Computer Software, 10,000+ Employees

A worthy product for all developers

Comments: Best product and definitely worth giving a try

Pros:

The software is designed in such way that it provides a fastest cloud services and our own virtual machine at an insanely low price

Cons:

I am using this software for over 6 months have nothing like cons.

Bill
Owner in US
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Excellent small business solution

Comments: Using ABfB to backup my customers' servers and PCs off-site, and to backup my own local data to B2. So easy to use I backup all my managed PCs for bare metal restore. I can do this because ABfB's dedupe is very good at reducing storage used. Tested restores come up ready to put back into production.

Pros:

The deduping is excellent at conserving space. Several different backup methods including multi-version, incremental and full-system bare metal restore. Can backup Linux servers agentless using SSH keys. Restores so far have been consistently solid. File and folder restores can be initiated from the NAS or the client computer. A report can be emailed daily or weekly showing the status of all backups. Backup as many computers as your bandwidth can handle -- there are no per-machine licensing costs.

Cons:

No bare metal restore for Linux. I have numerous servers, desktops and laptops running Debian, Devuan, and Ubuntu that would be nice to be able to recover without rebuilding.

Marwan
Technical Support in Jordan
Construction, 51–200 Employees

DiskStation is the best and cheapest backup solution.

Comments: DiskStation is the best solution that I use. and has a wide range of integration.

Pros:

DiskStation is cheap and stable, with a large store of applications to integrate with everything. DiskStation can connect to the C2 cloud smoothly.

Cons:

After 5 years of using Diskstation, I didn't find a major con. We can say the frequent updates were annoying.

Brian
Tech Manager in US
, 11–50 Employees

Solid & functional

Comments: My business has been using DiskStation for the last four years. Aside from the occasional hiccup, it has worked admirably. We use it for basic music playback in our music school. We have one at each of our locations, synced so that changes made to one location are reflected at the other. The response is slow at times, particularly when using a remote connection.

Jeremy
Jeremy
Owner in Canada
Design

Synology Diskstation has been an incredibly valuable resource for business and home solutions.

Pros:

The amount of first-party apps which are aimed at solving a lot of tasks users may have is what makes this software suite great. Other NAS providers may aim at a handful of media and downloading softwares, but Synology makes it clear out of the gate that their focus is on productivity. They produce apps which handle everything from CRM and CMS installations to security camera integration, to virtualization. The sheer value proposition of Diskstation makes it difficult to view this as a valuable product. Their customer service is also spot-on - we had to run an RMA through their center and both Email and Phone support were prompt and helpful.

Cons:

The only issue I have found is either the learning curve of the software is a bit too high for some use cases, or the software doesn't dive deep enough into it outright replacing everything we are using. While I see incredible value for others with the mail server, for instance, it cannot perform everything we need and so it isn't being used. This is only a minor issue though, as I am confident there is something for everybody on in this product.

Stacey
Stacey
Systems Administrator in US
Higher Education, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Easy to use, full featureset.

Comments: I have installed multiple Synology NAS systems for different labs on campus. Built-in multiple 10Gb networking provides fast access. AD integration provides simple authentication path for changing class rosters allowing simple turnover from semester to semester.

Pros:

Provides a intuitive interface to what could be complex configurations. Linux based with a web management interface that allows granular control of configuration. Great support for Active Directory authentication. Security updates are prompt and backwards compatible. The current system software run on the most recent Synology hardware as well as the older hardware. The only thing missing from older hardware are Intel CPU dependent features suck as virtualization. All add-on software modules that you need are freely available for installation via the Package manager.

Cons:

Older or lower end hardware uses a slower ARM CPU. This limits performance compared with Intel CPU based hardware.

Founder in South Korea
Internet, Self Employed

The Best Way to Manage and Backup Your Data

Pros:

DiskStation is so user-friendly. The menus are easy to navigate and you can find what you're looking for very quickly. Setup is a breeze and the add-ons give you more functionality without any added cost. I love the virtual desktop environment that Synology has created for DiskStation. It feels like I'm using another OS but I think that's a good thing. The environment is different enough so I don't confuse it with my main OS but familiar enough so I can do what I need to quickly. Synology has made backing up critical data effortless and made accessing that data very convenient.

Cons:

The software is great but the online support material is lacking in a big way. I wish there were more videos produced by Synology to help users understand the advanced features of the software. It also feels like I'm downloading updates all the time.

IT Manager in US
Oil & Energy

It works and its dirt cheap. Solid NAS. Support could drastically improve.

Comments: The cost of storage and the functions, this is a great investment with no learning curve.

Pros:

Pretty much everything but support. Assuming you bought the bare model, you populate the drives. Then use the utility that finds it by MAC and you assign an IP. Connect, and you'll find a rather pretty GUI that resembles windows 7. Updates and simple, and frequently released. 3rd party and native apps are abound. Its also dead simple to set up replication, if you wanted to setup a second unit for DR or backups. I also personally use one at home, using it as a plex host for my home theater, and it performs flawlessly.

Cons:

Support isn't great, and it's overseas. Expect to conduct it all via email, and responses are not quick, Still, its so solid you may never need to contact them. Compared to the costs of a SAN, and other NAS, this should be a no brainer.

Reed
Reed
President in US

Reliable Drive Array, but it's the software that makes the difference

Comments: 40 TB of space for my company team, to share data and collaborate. This works quite well for our business.

Pros:

DiskStation and its added packages make the Synology the best NAS available for small to medium businesses, including SOHO. A perfect suite of software packages, most available for free, to use on your PC or mobile device.

Cons:

I really want a BookStation or DS Books app to keep track of my massive library of digital book titles.

Wale
Wale
Editor in Nigeria
Internet, 2–10 Employees

Incredible and reliable NAS solution

Comments: DiskStation greatly helps with backup and file access. For those who like to try, DMS apps offer useful and fun ways to take full advantage of your network-attached storage devices.

Pros:

Being able to effectively manage your NAS through a web browser and an intuitive GUI is a big advantage DiskStation offers. There is a myriad of free applications you can install through DSM to fully take advantage and maximize your NAS device. The well-designed mobile applications also make accessibility possible when you are on the go.

Cons:

Apart from being unable to use Active Backup Agent with macOS which is a big letdown, there isn't any other issue I have with DiskStation.

Rob
Technology Manager in US

Synology Diskstation and NAS Storage are a must have for a small business.

Comments: The benefits we get from this software is small startup cost and maintenance for our small business because we don't have to pay an IT company and a huge initial fee to set up a server for us because Synology makes it so easy to setup a NAS server.

Pros:

The ease of use of this software is by far the greatest part of it. It is very user-friendly and almost anyone with the smallest amount of technical skills can set up a Server/NAS with Synology's diskstation. It allows our company to store all of our product photos and files on the drive while being able to give access to people through the cloud service, so they can work on the road or at home if needed.

Cons:

There is nothing I dislike about this software. Synology really knows how to cover all of its bases and make NAS as easy as turning on your TV.

Erik
Owner in Netherlands
Consumer Goods, 2–10 Employees

The best and NAS with the most features available

Comments: Use it to store documents and make the documents available everywhere in a safe way. Also use it to run extra (3rd party) apps. Hyper backup makes a backup to an other NAS which is 100km away to make sure we have a safe backup.

Pros:

Easy to use NAS manager software 3rd party software packages available Easy to implement Lots and lots of features available Stable , never crashed in more then 12 years Good customer support Frequent software updates available also for older models.

Cons:

I have a hard time thinking for the cons because to be honest I really do not know. Ok maybe the price can be a con.

Kenneth
Vice President in US

Synology versus QNAP

Pros:

We use both Synology and QNAP NAS devices. Both have similar capabilities and features. Synology updates their firmware and software regularly. These updates contain new features and lots of bug fixes.

Cons:

Synology's Customer Service is the one area where Synology falls short in comparison to other NAS providers. Although their forums are helpful because they contain good information from other end users, Synology's own Customer Service is often delayed and unhelpful.

Pedro
Researcher in Portugal
E-Learning, Self Employed

Amazing Implementation

Pros:

I've been a user for over 4 years and have multiple NAS, and I have to say that I don't need to look to anywhere else to get my next NAS. The implementation is top notch, with software like Cloud Station Drive replacing services like dropbox, and streaming 4k directly to my TV. Amazing.

Cons:

The app store offer are still quite low in numbers, even though there's plenty of essential apps already.

Brian
Loan Officer in US
Financial Services, 11–50 Employees

Great NAS app

Comments: Love it

Pros:

I love that I can access my NAS remotely and use it for storage and backup. I can even download files directly to my NAS so I’m not using my laptop’s resources. I mostly use it as a media center.

Cons:

It would be nice if all the various features were combined into one app but I’m sure it would get too big.

Web Developer in US
Legal Services, 2–10 Employees

AIO Backup and Server for Developers

Comments: I use my NAS device to store documents locally and also back up my cloud documents to NAS is a really convenient feature, making this a solid all-in-one web dev and backup solution.

Pros:

After downloading the Web Station from the package center, I was able to use the NAS device to host a test landing page and allowed others to view it from within our ethernet using only my assigned IP address.

Cons:

I felt there should have been a more upgraded version of PHP than 5 which is what was installed.

Marc Lee
IT Department Head in Philippines
Hospital & Health Care, 201–500 Employees

The best software of NAS for business use.

Comments: Great experience and use of DiskStation

Pros:

What I liked about DiskStation is the ease of deployment and use.

Cons:

What I like the least about this software is the poor customer service that Synology is providing to its customers.

Real Estate, 501–1,000 Employees

Synology DiskStation for Business

Comments: DiskStation has been great for the company and allows us to continuously adapt to an ever-changing work environment.

Pros:

This software allowed us to create a NAS system to be shared with users in the office. We were able to set and configure rules and install applications as needed to fit our needs.

Cons:

There is a learning curve to the software.

Randall
Software Engineer in US
Defense & Space, 51–200 Employees

Great for hosting your own network storage

Comments: I love using my Diskstation at home, and I could imagine this being extremely useful for small businesses as well.

Pros:

I use Synology for hosting files at home. It is relatively easy to set up and get going, even for someone completely new at using it. The software comes with numerous utilities for managing files, processes, resources, and user permissions. There are also many more apps out there that you can install. Hosting my videos and pictures has never been easier, and with my redundant harddrives, my data is safe in case a drive is lost. The interface is very clean, and the functions are easy to use and simple to understand.

Cons:

This is not a problem with the software itself but a limitation with the hardware. I have a bare model with a weak cpu, and so every now and then I experience latency issues, or slow ramp up times.

Joel
Joel
Director in Canada
Information Services, Self Employed

NAS is must for business

Comments: A dependable, easy solution to implement and manage for the average IT savvy user.

Pros:

The set up, administration, and ad on features for this product are amazing. I use this to back up my business data and partition for other important records. The website and training video (official and un official) make service great.

Cons:

The machine runs sometimes when no one is using it and the HDDs are just spinning away - seems they could make a more efficient sleep mode.

Rick
NA in US
Music, Self Employed

Great product and server

Comments: Synology makes a Great server and support software. They update their apps (and server software) every few weeks.

Pros:

I like the cloud storage aspect

Cons:

It could cost less

Al
Infrastructure Systems Analyst in Canada
Computer Software, 201–500 Employees

Reliable backup option

Pros:

Reliable backup. We deploy Diskstations to our customer for their server backups and have never failed.

Cons:

It's easy to set up and configure so no complaints.

Thomas
Project Manager in UK
Information Technology & Services, 501–1,000 Employees

Excellent Value

Comments: Excellent, full-featured and easy to use NAS management software.

Pros:

DSM is the most feature-rich and versatile NAS management software.

Cons:

More licenses should be included.Move toward proprietary hardware for full feature set.

Analista de Sistemas II in Venezuela

It is a great tool, it has helped me a lot and has given me very good results

Comments: Easy To use and many options for your Servers be functional

Pros:

I liked most, is the ease with which you can add new hardware, network interfaces and other add-ons that are needed when virtualizing and optimizing a server The multiplatform option and the great variety of drivers that this software handles, easy to use and provides a great facility when managing virtualization, which provides a great solution for those who do not have much experience when using this type of softwares

Cons:

I have some problems with the Libraries, sometimes I have to start the software through the Terminal.

Real Estate, 201–500 Employees

Perfect for sharing documents from anywhere

Pros:

The info on it can be accessed from anywhere in the US. So awesome!

Cons:

Depending on the model need more memory. The one I hve ha 512gb I wish it had 1tb