15 years helping British businesses

About Looker

Data exploration and analytics solution combining modeling, transformations, and derivations at the same layer.

Learn more about Looker

Pros:

I love that you can query right in the Looker platform and quickly add visualizations for the results.

Cons:

I dislike how long it can take certain reports in Looker to load.

Looker ratings

4.2
4.5
4.4
4.3

8.6/10

Looker has an overall rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars based on 244 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Looker before?

Luis
Luis
Cofounder in Spain
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Best Dashboard tool for SEO and Marketing

Comments: Being using Looker (previously datastudio) for years and they continue to improve the tool.

Pros:

You can create really powerful and complete dashboards totally for free. They're updated in real time and you can easily share them with coworkers or clients.

Cons:

Sometimes the interface is really clumsy and is hard to update data.

Haba
Content Manager in Romania
Newspapers, 2–10 Employees

All metrics in one place

Comments: It is a great tool for reporting and monitor metrics. I shared my dashboard with colleagues so we can keep our website's data under supervision.

Pros:

After creating a dashboard with all important data for my website it was very easy to keep track and visualize my websites metrics. I have integrated Analytics, Search Console and Semrush in my main dashboard get a better view over my Business's website, making it very easy to see where I can grow. Sharing the dashboard with my colleagues it was very easy and everybody can keep an eye.

Cons:

Dashboard setup was a little tricky until I found the exact data I wanted to display.

Vincent
Vincent
Sr Planning Analyst in US

Controlled Analytics Exploration

Comments: Like I said, it's a great tool for analysts that don't need a lot of flexibility or maybe just aren't used to working with a lot of data. To get the full value out of this software, you'll need a core group of experienced Data Analysts that can learn fast (to learn Lookers Table Calculation code which is similar to SQL) who can build a bunch of dashboards and views. You really don't want people who aren't savvy with data doing a lot of the creating because measures are always aggregated based on the dimensions you pull into each table...if a user forgets to add a specific dimension then measures could show the wrong value. This could be offset by having really good developers who architect the data in a way that doesn't allow this to happen.

Pros:

It's a great data exploration tool for users who normally would get anxious when given a large dataset in something like Excel. It's generally simple to use and there can be unlimited Viewers (users at the lowest permissions level) through the enterprise product. Data Visualization is essentially done for you and Exploers (users at the second level of permissions) can build new visualizations & turn them into interactive dashboards. On the Looker platform, Explorers can locate a view (called an Explore) and then are given a list of dimensions and measures they can pull into a table. Users can create new dimensions using calculated fields and then save their views so any users with Viewer permissions (and up) can see what was put together.

Cons:

With simplicity comes lack of flexibility. More skilled data analysts will want more flexibility than Looker can provide but at the same time you need to have highly skilled Data Analysts to be the Developers (high level of permissions) to set up the data so that less skilled analysts (the users who benefit from Looker most) who are Explorers don't build views that grossly misrepresent the data. My biggest pet peeve with this software as an Explorer is that you cannot make calculations on the base data...only the data that you pull into your table (called table calculations). That is a major feature that Tableau has that Looker does not have at the Explorer permission level. Of course developers can use LookML (Lookers data language) to create a new column...but a Developer license is more expensive and creating the fields take time and it's something you constantly will need.

Brandon
Director of SEO in US
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Great Reporting Software That’s Hard To Use

4.0 last month New

Pros:

The massive amount of data, from many different platforms, can be compiled in many different ways for a great report.

Cons:

You almost need a PhD in computer science to program the report. Steep learning curve.

Ann
Research Analyst in US

Empowering Data-driven Insights

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

Looker has an impressive data modeling capabilities which enable the user to create and manage data models effortlessly, empowering its users to derive valuable insights from even the most complex datasets.

Cons:

While Looker's interface may be user-friendly, unlocking its complete potential may require some learning for new users, particularly to those who are not well-versed in data modeling and analytics principles.

Andrei
Branch Manager in UK
Accounting, 11–50 Employees

All data in Looker

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: This is the greatest tool I found for data visualization. I am using it for the website, I have connected all reporting tools in one place and share it with all the departments to track their progress.

Pros:

Connecting all data sources is very easy and even a non-tech guy can do it. Organizing the dashboard was not a easy task, there are so many options for graphs and charts on the data. Report sharing is phenomenal, after I create it is easy to share it with different departments and each one can see the how they are doing.

Cons:

The only hard thing for me was how to organize my first page dashboard, wanted all of them there.

Lucien
Head of GTM in UK
Information Technology & Services, 201–500 Employees

Looker is a powerful BI tool for fast growing businesses

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

Looker has significant power with enterprise capabilities enabling us to garner insights and analytics throughout a very complex business. Looker has great capabilities around triggers which is essential for a business like ours handling volume that can vary.

Cons:

It is not the most user friendly tool and can have performance issues around loading. There are definitely other BI tools that have prioritised UX which helps drive data literacy across our business. With Looker, we've struggled to get non-data people into the tool to really use it as they find it hard to use without significant training.

Laban
Research and development analyst in US
Education Management, 201–500 Employees

The ultimate tool for advanced data analytics and visualisations

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: My experience with looker has been exceptional since it has helped us to unlock the full potential of our data analysis and visualisation.

Pros:

It has phenomenal data exploration features that enable us to maximize our data potential through indepth insights. I appreciate its flexible customization options that help us to visualize data in line with our company requirements.

Cons:

Running complex queries on this tool affects system performance occasionally which is not ideal.

Stephen
Senior researcher in US
Education Management, 201–500 Employees

Easy to use data analytic solution

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

I like that the tool is easy to use even for non-technical members and does a great job analyzing complex data. The onboarding process is easy.

Cons:

The only downside is that at times the performance is slow and the loading time is sometimes long

Julia
Analyst in US
Computer Software, 201–500 Employees

Daily Looker User- Very Few Complaints

4.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

My company uses Looker as a BI tool internally and externally. The interface allows us to easily train customers and colleagues on how to use and manipulate the data, even if a user does not have any SQL experience. Finalized dashboards and looks provide us with visually appealing metrics.

Cons:

There are some limitations to custom calculations/ dimensions that can trip our users up when trying to manipulate data on their own. The support forums do not always offer solutions or workarounds for these limitations, so it must ultimately go upstream to the point where development changes need to be made.

Gal
Head of Data in Israel
Program Development, 51–200 Employees

Great BI Tool, easy to use, deploy and manage, both by developers and business users

Comments: It helping us give the business users access to our data models and get business insights.
Our R&D team is monitoring deployment of product using this data.
We are also give customer access to their data (with row level security)

Pros:

very quick deployment, self serve abilities for the business users are very high. Mediation layer management is very good, it is "Code" based and not setup based so it is very easy to replicate/versioning and find "Hacks" to many needs, and versioning is managed by GIT. Support is amazing, always available.

Cons:

Still lacking a little bit on the graphic side, Would really love to have some more buildin dynamic graphs.

Teena
Teena
Implementation Specialist / Customer Success in US

Looker allows everyone in your company, even the less tech-savvy, to make data-driven decisions.

Comments: We get to force-multiply our impact by making it easy for users in all departments to make data-driven decisions and help allow that to drive their day-to-day.

Pros:

I love the customization of Looker, and that you can put large amounts of data into the hands of anyone -- in a way that makes sense [to them]! While their product is great, it speaks volumes to the team. It's an amazing group of people that continue to receive feedback from their customers and iterate time and time again on their product. They truly care about data and their customers, and they want to empower them the best they can.

Cons:

When modeling views, I wish you could define better filters for measures but it's limited. There are workarounds, meaning modeling out several additional dimensions to arrive at the measure you need to pull regularly, but it'd be much more efficient to allow for measures to be more nuanced. Large dashboards (with 25+ tiles) can take awhile to load, which is understandable. Once their "merge results" feature is fully rolled out and we're able to save them as new tiles or looks, it should help resolve the need for so many tiles. Neither of these two things are a big deal, and I wouldn't let this deter you from considering this software.

Dheeraj
Dheeraj
Business Development Manager in India
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Data analysis is simple using this application

Comments: The most cutting-edge method for creating data experiences and products is called Looker. From a user perspective, Looker is incredibly simple to use. Clear filters let you access data that I need to execute my job on a daily basis, especially when I'm retrieving client health scores.

Pros:

It is a great delight to strengthen my data analysis system. Scheduling reports is another great way to avoid acting as a middleman between various clients in my opinion. Flexibility, durability, the LookML Semantic layer, dependability, scalability, and the set of tools for modifying data experiences. Very versatile when it comes to writing code and showing tiles; the greatest aspect is the dynamic nature of the results presentation, which makes it easier to examine results while on the go.

Cons:

There are fewer things that can be done at the tile level, which limits functionality. Such dynamicness is required for a more thorough dashboarding experience. Less restrictions on things, in my opinion, would allow me to dream a little greater. Additionally, the forecasting function may be improved. Just a bit more conviction in this amazing product would do.

Isam
CFO in Jordan
Construction, 51–200 Employees

The best tool for business intelligence

Comments: As a CFO, Google Looker helps me monitoring budgets and financial information about our company. It is a great tool that helps me taking financial decisions.

Pros:

Google Looker is one of the best business intelligence tools, it offers many features and visualizations that can help business owners to view real-time reports and dashboards. Also, Google Looker is fully customized so that you can make your own reports, graphs, and dashboards.

Cons:

Google Looker is complex and hard to learn especially when you are trying to make complex data collection or reports.

Jonathan
Head of BI in UK
Financial Services, 201–500 Employees

A game changing data tool

Comments: Looker is a game changing tool insofar as it provides a 21st century approach to data tooling that massively amplifies how organisations can get access to, explore and power applications through data without making sacrifices from an accuracy perspective. Looker's company culture is fantastic and the focus on customer support really helps to extent the impact of the product itself.

Pros:

* LookML because it enables a scalable semantic layer wherein business rules can be defined in a single place and logic is code based thereby enabling version control, testing and auditing. * Extendability because the data platform focus enables businesses to serve data to applications and people through a single component * Customer experience focus

Cons:

* It can be hard to navigate the huge volumes of content that users build on Looker and find the canonical/VIP products that are the foundation for any company

Daniel
CIO in UK
Marketing & Advertising

Looker transforms companies

Pros:

It's a great product for giving people in all departments of your company access to data and allow them to explore what your data can provide. Rather than having to always go to the Business Intelligence or Analytics team, people of any level can query data without any SQL knowledge or understanding and yield results that are either directly actionable or ask more questions that can be answered using Looker. We ran an initial 30 days trial with a view that only our analysts and BI team members would use it. By the end of the 30 days, everyone from the COO down to the account teams were using it. It's amazing. Furthermore, the vendor is smart, responsive and constantly improving the product, delivering a new version approximately every month. Their customer service is second-to-none and they are always happy to hear about new features that you need in the product. Very pleased overall with their service, strategy and plan to expand our use of them to our clients over the next few months.

Cons:

Looker are still very heavily US based. They have just started an EU office, but support is still largely limited to US West Coast hours (although they seem to wake up at stupid o'clock to deal with some of our issues and plan to have support in the EU soon).

Shannon
SEO Consultant in Spain
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Incredibly Powerful Analytics Platform

Comments: It's been a refreshing change to see a tool able to visual data so effectively after using competing mainstream analytics programs (Google and Adobe) for so long.

Pros:

A client uses this analytics software, and I have been consistently impressed with the informative dashboards you can build to really dig deep into your website and app data as a cohesive unit. The depth of analysis, and the graphics to visual the data are far superior to competitors in a lot of ways.

Cons:

It's not intuitive, and the client's internal analytics team had to set up all of the necessary dashboards because just logging in and poking around is not going to be even remotely enough to understand all Looker can do. It's not laid out in a similar logic as the other mainstream analytics platforms, which means there's a learning curve.

Aleksey
Aleksey
Chief Business Development Officer in Poland
Marketing & Advertising, 51–200 Employees

Great tool for for real-time online dashboards

Comments: I am able to access monthly and daily reports via Looker dashboards, which are linked directly to our backend database. This allows me to monitor our team's performance in real-time and share valuable insights with my colleagues whenever necessary.

Pros:

It brings me great joy to be able to generate and adjust my own dashboards with ease, thanks to the user-friendly self-service approach.

Cons:

When you blend data speed seems to go down significantly

Nicholas
Director of Analytics in US
Financial Services, 51–200 Employees

Best in class and exactly as advertised

Comments: We've had a great experience with Looker, both the product itself and the company supporting it, and I'm very happy with our decision. It's easy to use for both admins and end users, and when we do have an issue there's usually been a

Pros:

Looker is extremely intuitive and accessible for end users. This has made training and driving adoption across the company a breeze. It has really opened up our data to a huge number of non-technical users. Their customer support is also excellent.

Cons:

As part of our evaluation we trialed several other providers that I think would have provided about 80% of the value at a dramatically lower cost. For our organization it made sense to go with the best in class, but for a more cost-constrained organization there might be better options out there.

Internet, 1,001–5,000 Employees

A great tool for exploring data

Comments: I user Looker every day​ to create dashboards that I share within the company. At the same time I use Looker to analyze​ data on ad hoc requests

Pros:

It's really easy to create dashboards and reports. Even though we need to code some things it allows to be really flexible in the way you create and display data.

Cons:

I had to learn more technical information, the code, and how to work with development and live versions of the models.

Fulfillment Associate in US
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Great Business Intelligence Tool that Makes Business Intelligent

Comments: From using Looker along with Looker Studio and other integrations, I believe Looker is one of the great BI tools to use for business-related tasks.

Pros:

Some that I like the most about Looker include:1) Data visualization features that provide better accessibility and features for creators to set up their dashboards2) Very ease of use; features are not too complex to learn3) Multiple integrations that help creators connect their work with Looker in a short period of time4) Simplified displays for better visibility and appeal of data display

Cons:

Some things that I like least about Looker include:1) Lack of functionality due to product lags2) Limited statistical features3) Integrations sometimes do not work well with Looker because of their limitations i.e. duplicate columns

Balbina
Data Analyst in UK
Sports, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Looker is a very powerful and userfriendly tool

Pros:

The models, explores and looks are very easy to navigate once all set up. The SQL runner is a great feature that helps with querying the datasets that are available before diving in and creating explores. Dashboarding and sharing reports are also very easy with Looker. It makes increasing data visibility in the organisation very easy.

Cons:

The visualisation features have come a long way over the years but sometimes it is still hard to customise visualisations.

Bentson
Bentson
Project Architect in US
Architecture & Planning, 51–200 Employees

Crucial business intelligence mitigation product

Comments: It provides business intelligence reports that enhances effective decision-making. Looker has trusted data management network that scales operations.

Pros:

This product has been the primary data analytics and business planning base in the enterprise. It provides real-time insights that gives each department power to plan and manage risks that may arise. It is easy to use and integrate with other data management models.

Cons:

The set features have been working effectively based on company targets in data governance.

Mickey
Financial Controller in Taiwan
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

A cheap, easy and robust tool for data visualization and reporting.

Pros:

Looker is currently the best data visualization tool out there for those that are on a budget. That is because Looker is free to use.

Cons:

While Looker is relatively easy to use for those who have a data analytics background. I do think that Looker could be easier and more intuitive to set up. Especially setting up data sources can be tricky.

Alexis
CSR in Philippines
Consumer Services, 201–500 Employees

An excellent tool and true to the description

Comments: It's convenient to have a place where you can compare data from several sources. Looker is really simple to use and adapts to your level of technical expertise.

Pros:

The tool Looker is fantastic. I strongly recommend it! The time it takes to put it up is eventually worth it because it allows less tech-savvy peers to study data independently.

Cons:

Although assistance is usually available, occasionally requests take a little to process and with all the security patches, the information can be a little limited.