15 years helping British businesses

GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) Reviews

4.4 (3,480) Write a Review!

About GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

Graphics manipulation platform that enables designers to develop images, icons and more by using various design elements and tools.

Learn more about GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

Pros:

Its functions allow for a wide range of designs and customisations to fit certain colour themes and integrates nicely with our thumbnails on video.

Cons:

3 separate boxes initially, which can rapidly grow, jumble the screen up. The vast array of buttons make clicking the wrong thing too easy, especially if you are trying to work at pace.

GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) ratings

3.9
4.0
4.3
4.8

8.4/10

GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) has an overall rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars based on 3,480 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) before?

Filter reviews (3,480)

Josip
Josip
Sales Manager in Croatia
Retail, 2–10 Employees

Great Free alternative for Adobe Photoshop

Comments: With Gimp I am creating weekly flyers with products from our company. We can save an enormous amount of money by doing this by ourselves and not some external design company.

Pros:

Gimp is an open-source image manipulation program what means it is absolutely free to use. Also, you will receive regular updates which add new features and fixes bugs including security issues. It has all the abilities that for example Adobe Photoshop and other commercial programs have. It can offer even more because it is easily extensible and flexible for every environment with lots of great community plugins and scripts.

Cons:

The user interface of Gimp is not the most beautiful one but its function is very good. It has a lot of menus and submenus so for beginners it may be a little harder to achieve some more complex operations such as retouch of a face or double exposure. Also, compatibility with Adobe file formats exists but don't except that it works perfectly. Most of the time it works flawlessly if you are opening the document from older versions of Photoshop because newer version needs some updating and updates occur approximately every 2 months which is still faster than what Adobe is doing with their Photoshop.

Wesley
Director of Technology in US
Education Management, 11–50 Employees

Value every moment with graphics manipulation yard

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Amazing customer support team. The free trial has enough features to train any newbie.

Pros:

Creating a satisfying moment starts with keeping a record of it. GIMP helps me value every second of my life by creating a design element and scripted images. It is quite easy to use and implement. The dashboard will amaze you.

Cons:

It requires great attention to master every bit of this tool inorder to build a perfect design. Also, knowledge in at least one programming language is needed for a great design. All thanks to the free trial, it is a great learning experience.

Quincy
Founder in Australia
Consumer Goods, Self Employed

Cheap and effective image editing software - basic but gets the job done

3.0 2 months ago New

Comments: My overall experience with GIMP has been positive, appreciating its powerful, flexible tools and extensive customization options. However, the steep learning curve and occasionally cluttered interface can be challenging. Despite these hurdles, GIMP's capabilities as a free, open-source software make it a valuable asset for image editing and design.

Pros:

What I like most about GIMP is its incredible flexibility and power as a free, open-source software. The ability to customize the interface to suit my workflow is invaluable, allowing me to arrange tools and panels exactly how I like them. GIMP’s extensive feature set means I can handle everything from simple photo retouching to complex image compositions without needing to invest in expensive software.

Cons:

What I like least about GIMP is its steep learning curve. The sheer number of features and options can be overwhelming for new users, making it challenging to navigate and utilize the software effectively without spending significant time learning its intricacies. Additionally, the interface, while customizable, can sometimes feel cluttered and less intuitive compared to more polished, commercial alternatives. This can lead to frustration, especially when trying to perform complex tasks efficiently.

Design, Self Employed

Best free alternative to PS

Comments: Although it took me some time to master, after I was comfortable with it I was pretty happy with the flow. The fact that I am not tied up to a monthly (very high) fee is a pretty nice incentive to learn the software and keep using it. It is compatible and the files can be opened in other apps. It lacks some Photoshop features, especially some late introductions in the last updates, but the price alone makes it better to use Gimp and complement with other software than to pay Adobe fees.

Pros:

It's a free software that does pretty much all the things that need to be done in Photoshop. It doesn't demand as much resources from the PC as Photoshop does and it is more compatible with my graphic cards (which is frequently crashing when using Photoshop). Gimp doesn't crash. It has a big community behind it so it is very easy to find help with small issues. Since it is a very integral software there is no need to go outside to solve issues with the projects, everything I need can be done with it.

Cons:

It is hard to make the switch if you have been a Photoshop user for years, like me. I work a lot with keyboard shortcuts and they are mostly different, so for me the learning curve was very slow and frustrating. The software is not intuitive either, and the interface is not very pretty.

Head of IT in Uganda
Education Management, 51–200 Employees

GIMP, a free wholesome graphics manipulation program

4.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: I have enjoyed using it and while I have other options, the fact that it is free means we can deploy it on all our computers and that is what our students are not using for all their graphics work and no one has complained about it.

Pros:

The biggest advantage to GIMP is that is that it is free and a worthwhile alternative to Photoshop and illustrator.

Cons:

IT can be heavy on the system and so it tends to be slow. Also, if one is not used to the interface, it takes some getting used to work with it.

Micalen
Freelancer in South Africa
Computer Games, Self Employed

GIMP- A Powerful Graphic Design Tool

5.0 last month New

Comments: Overall GIMP is a great and cost effective choice to create vector graphics.

Pros:

GIMP is really great for image editing and creating bit maps and texture maps from already created images. The tools offered by GIMP are very useful when designing vector graphics.

Cons:

While GIMP is great, it does lack more premium features offered by other graphic design tools.

E-Learning, 11–50 Employees

GIMP great photo editing

4.0 last month New

Comments: To learn and do photo editing software it's the best software I recommend.

Pros:

Easy tools and easy correction done on the image.

Cons:

Compare to Adobe Photoshop tools are less.

Sara
Engineer in Italy
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Is it a painting dog? Anyway it's GIMP!

5.0 last month New

Comments: I have been using GIMP for a long time; previously on old computers I used Photoshop. In the newer ones I needed a program with the same features, so I choosed GIMP.
It's a really good program, it has all the features I need, especially the filters and the levels.

Pros:

GIMP is free and allows you to edit your photos and/or create graphics; you can choose among a lot of tools and filters. You can edit a lot of file graphical formats, reset them, rotate, work with levels; GIMP has all the features you need, plus it's free to use, and easy to install. The program is easy to install and runs well, just to be sure to have enough CPU and RAM (working with graphics requires more resouces). Obviously at first you need to learn how to use it, but if will find documentation on internet in case of need. I mainly use GIMP for retouching photos, but it's also useful if you want to create anything artistic such as logos, flyers and banners. It's a great program, you should try it.

Cons:

the way you save/overwrite the files is not really intuitive; the zoom function sometime goes suddenly to maximum

Julian
UX Consultant in UK
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

The best free and open source option for graphics and images

4.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: The fact GIMP is free is its main advantage - it can do much of what leading options like Photoshop can achieve, but there's usually a bit of a workaround or it's a bit more difficult to do the same thing, with some extra steps involved.

Pros:

GIMP is free - this is its main advantage over alternatives. You can also use add-ons and plugins to extend its capabilities even further. If you stick with it, you can achieve much the same as you would with paid alternatives.

Cons:

The UI/UX is not as intuitive as some paid alternatives, and it can feel like a lot of effort at the start to get used to everything.

Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Free for all, fantastic for everyone

5.0 last month New

Comments: A great tool, a great initiative, and even better performance. On top of everything it does (for free), GIMP is also quite light weight, not overloading your machine and consuming loads of RAM.

Pros:

Being "open source" software is most definitely the biggest pro. From older Ubuntu Linux, where Adobe products could be used, Gimp was the only one to tread those waters and deliver the same, if not better, level of performance.

Cons:

I would say, not exactly as a negative thing, that the UI isn't necessarily intuitive and could use a revamp, especially to help less experienced users

Daniel
Art Director in Kenya
Animation, 2–10 Employees

GIMP is Amazing and i wouldn't sleep on it

Comments: Really helps when needed to alter an image such as removing a background colour or image or even creating an image from a photo and excluding or including other details onto the image.
Great for editing images.
Great for colouring comics as i do a lot of comics and illustration work, came in handy to give more clear colours especially with the quick selection tools.

Pros:

- Being able to export to multiple formats. - The editing tools and effects that could be applied to images to adjust the colours, brightness, contrast and saturation. - The Features are great for making a digital painting or adding colours to comics, especially the tools that help the work proceed faster like magic wand select tool, colour selection, increasing the sharpness of an image or adding a other effects on the image.

Cons:

- Has a bit of a learning curve and if you don't take some time to learn the software you may find yourself getting frustrated considering it has some differences from other similar software. -

Jeffrey
IT Specialist in US
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Gimp and Open Source Software

Comments: All my photo editing, bitmap graphics and special effects. It takes a lot of extensions that can become costly with photoshop and it all comes free, and because it is open source there is a lot of free online support that could be costly with photoshop. I challenge you to try gimp for 2 months and see if you do not get a lot more done without all the Bells and whistles.

Pros:

Gimp has become my go to program, it has all the robustness of adobe Photoshop and more there has been so many things that I have been able to do.

Cons:

I have no complaints with gimp for the last 22 years I have been using gamp almost exclusively. It is able to complete any task that I need and I see no cons with this program

Misty
IT Manager in US
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Don't under estimate GIMP!

Comments: I love this software overall. It's easy to install and run with multiple processes at one time it doesn't cause issues like I have had with others in the past. You do not have to have a high-end pc or macbook pro to get started with GIMP.

Pros:

This is an amazing tool compared to the others on the market. This ran with ease on my PC and didn't cause me any issues. They send out updates and offer tons of documentation. The software is great for beginners or professionals. It runs on macOS and Windows while not requiring too many specs. HIGHLY recommend

Cons:

The overall GUI interface feels outdated it could use a modern revamp.

Developer in US
Entertainment, Self Employed

The best free image editing software

Comments: I downloaded it after using photoshop and I got used to it quickly after switching. I never had any problems outside if a folder has thousands of items in it, when choosing to make an export to name the export and to choose what file type it will be, it loads every file name into the browser which can make it lag if there is over thousands of items in the folder being opened.

Pros:

It's fully free and it's designed to be quick to learn and use. Missing some settings photoshop has, but overall does the same job or better.

Cons:

Missing some of the bigger features of photoshop and the extensions. But in most cases they aren't needed for most needs.

James
Consumer in US
Construction, Self Employed

GIMP at a glance

Comments: I use GIMP on a daily basis. It comes in very handy since I work with a lot of images. This is a hobby of mine

Pros:

I like the thousands of tools and images offered.I like the ease of use The help files and the tutorialThe fact that it is free and a very good competitor to Adobe Photoshop

Cons:

The loading time that it takes the program to open. That is the only thing I dislike about GIMP.It is basically a very good program

Vernessa
Vernessa
Freelance Writer in US
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

GIMP is No Wimp! A Solid Choice for Graphics Work; Robust Toolset Rivals Commercial Counterparts

Comments: Overall, GIMP is a fine open source replacement for PhotoShop and some of the other expensive creative suites. For a layperson who occasionally designs a banner or image for their website, GIMP is probably overkill and downright daunting. But for a graphics design artist or someone who likes to dabble, the toolset is robust, with elements to rival its commercial counterparts. I don't mind dabbling and doing my own simple graphics. As an open source proponent, I like using tools that give you the freedom to do with them as you please. For example, I use GIMP on both Windows and Linux platforms. GIMP has been a staple in my toolchest for many years. Its a solid choice for heavier graphics work; I use it alongside simpler tools (like screenshot utilities) and in conjunction with snazzier tools like Canva.

Pros:

powerful punch: The GNU Image Manipulation Program.) GIMP is software you install on your computer. To my knowledge there is no SaaS (online software-as-a-service) counterpart. As a regular Linux user one huge benefit for me is that GIMP was initially created for the Linux environment. But unlike many Linux programs, GIMP has a true Windows version that is not poorly ported over. It's as elegant on Windows as it is on Linux. There are no penalties for installing GIMP on each and every computer you own and I've never encountered problems when mixing and matching the files from different flavors (i.e., Windows or Linux). It's rock steady; I don't remember a time when GIMP actually crashed. And if you are ready to exit, GIMP always reminds you to save any unsaved changes to your designs. GIMP has a simple uncluttered interface. "Simple interface" is relative; many menu items have dockable windows (like its commercial counterparts) so managing the various docking windows is what will keep it simple and uncluttered. One of the first things I ever used GIMP for was to import and edit some graphics saved in PhotoShop. I'm not a designer so I don't understand what half the tools do; I use only a few of the many features on a regular basis. Primarily I use it for quick web graphics, banners and graphics for blog articles, converting images to different formats, and sometimes to take screenshots (but others screenshot tools are quicker and more intuitive).

Cons:

It would be nice to have a few "modes" that hide or reveal tools based on your anticipated usage. For example, a "novice" interface mode would be nice. The help system is decent but is a bit cryptic and designed for the designer (not a layperson). I would love to see better intuitive context-sensitive help. For example, hovering over a tool would give a much more understandable explanation. The screenshot tool could be more accessible (when not working in GIMP).

Luis Ignacio
Luis Ignacio
Diseñador gráfico in Venezuela
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

The most complete emerging program for graphic design.

Comments: One of the greatest benefits that I have received is having a program that works very well in the main operating systems of the market, which has helped me a lot when meeting requirements in work meetings, in which clients ask me specific improvements in my designs. Another beneficial element for me, and for the companies in which I have been working, is the economic savings, the money is invested in operational improvements, which translates into better service for customers and a better quality of life for workers who can perceive significant improvements.

Pros:

I like to have a high-quality program completely free, that has helped me a lot to invest in equipment that I need for my work. Similar programs, such as Photoshop, offer the same thing but the issue of licensing restrains any graphic design entrepreneur who seeks to work. Another aspect that I like very much is that I have the support of a large community, that of free software, which gives me a lot of peace of mind when I do not know any steps at the moment of designing. Many do not know but have a training platform that even certifies your participation, which gives you the advantage to improve your curriculum. Also, its constant updating has allowed me to diversify the formats with which I can work, I have not found any aspect that I can not achieve with Gimp, I am very satisfied with everything it offers me.

Cons:

Over the years improve all applications that are contained, I have not found negative aspects that warrant my opinion. On the contrary, I am very happy to have software that cares about its users and does not limit its use with expensive licenses. With great care and respect, I believe it is one of the best options in the market for graphic design workers.

Research, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Take the time to learn, and GIMP is rewarding

Comments: For me, GIMP was a replacement for Photoshop. That being said, I've been totally impressed by the way GIMP has grown over the years. In its current iteration, GIMP can accomplish any image editing task I've thrown at it -- often, this required me to spend time learning how to best accomplish that task in GIMP, but that time has always been rewarded with high quality outputs. Still, I have probably spent as much time fumbling around in confusing with GIMP as I have actually working.

Pros:

Unlike a number of other free image manipulation programs, GIMP is both extremely powerful and (relatively) simple to use. Users of Photoshop will not find it to be the most difficult transition. GIMP has just about every feature an average or casual user could want from an image editor. GIMP works well not just for editing photos, but also for digital drawing and graphic design. In most regards for most users, GIMP can do whatever Photoshop or other commercial programs can. That being said, the functionality of GIMP should not be perceived as Photoshop lite. GIMP offers more tools, brushes, presets, etc than an average will ever need, and that's before installing any extensions. My current work requires minimal graphic design work -- largely infographics and visual representations of data -- and GIMP has every tool I could possibly need to produce data visuals / improve those produced by other software.

Cons:

While GIMP has become more user friendly over the years, there are two points new users may find intimidating. First GIMP -- as the full name suggests -- is part of the GNU/Linux lineage and ethos. Users unfamiliar with all this will probably be confused, especially as it relates to saving proprietary formats. Beyond that, amateur image editors will probably find themselves overwhelmed by all of the tools offered by GIMP. Some of these basic tools work in unexpected ways based on prior knowledge of other software -- on its face this isn't problematic, but the different way of operating sometimes isn't logical. New users will likely find themselves bewildered by the breadth of menu options, and the sub-options that go with them. I am certain of this, being that I've been using GIMP for years and I still occasionally find myself confused.

Freelancer in Nicaragua
Online Media, Self Employed

GIMP Rocks My World Everyday, and It Will Do the Same For You, Too!

Comments: I click on the GIMP icon on my laptop taskbar everyday, and that takes about ten seconds for GIMP to be ready to go. I can pop an image in with one Control V, and I am ready to go. Or I can bring up a project with one click. It is super easy to use. And there is some serious functional power under the hood of GIMP. Yes, there is a learning curve, like I've mentioned, but it just is not that big a deal, at least for me...and I am not some super brain, either. Okay, so I give GIMP my Two Thumbs Up Award for what I do. I use it a lot, and if you haven't been using GIMP, load it up and start using it.

Pros:

What I like about this software is I can use it on my own laptop and it doesn't require a huge amount of storage space and it is freeware, and I love all the stuff I can do. I keep finding out things I can do that make me one happy image creator. I work a lot with images and so one thing for sure is how I can quickly and efficiently remove backgrounds or grab part of the image that I want to use. GIMP gives me at least five different ways I can do this. I can go on and on about what I can do with GIMP when it comes to taking an image and layering other images, and coming up with some fairly decent and unique designs.

Cons:

Hmmm. Well, the there is a learning curve. And, yeah, I'd love it if I could just wave my magic pen and, hey, presto! --- the job was done exactly the way I want. But part of the process of creating images is inside the process of using the tools, and finding new and super cool ways to do something. What I mean is that by getting deep into GIMP and messing about, I have stumbled on some results that have made me some original images that help me get eyes on the prize...you know, converts visitors into return visitors, and into customers.

Carlos
Carlos
Lecturer in France
Research, 201–500 Employees

The image editing software that almost everyone should be using (instead of Photoshop)

Comments: Whereas some people consider GIMP as a toy software, or a cheap (free) Photoshop replacement, it is not. Instead, GIMP has proven to be a capable, professional software that does not want to be a mere Photoshop clone. On the contrary, they do have their own roadmap, own shortcuts and
their own user interface, and even some successful plugins and features of its own (such as resynthesizer) have been later integrated in Photoshop. Whereas some consider it as being difficult to learn or not user-friendly, it is in fact a proof that it follows its own path to success.
While I admit that from time to time I do miss some of Photoshop features, like non-destructive operations or basic vector operations, I am confident that GIMP fits in the great majority user cases without compromising final results.

Pros:

I have been using GIMP for many years for my image editing projects (both, pet projects and professional projects) and I have come to realize that it features such an enormous variety of toolboxes, filters, options... that allow any type of image editing, even really complex ones, with impeccable results. Consequently, there is no need to switch to other software like Photoshop or the like. Not to mention that it is a multi-plattform Free/Libre OpenSource Software. Some features I like the most of GIMP - Multi-plattform: available for Linux, Windows, Mac, portable... - FLOSS - Customizable user interface - Selection and manipulation tools (like Unified Transform tool) - Real-time edition - Professional results Additionally, recently GIMP has seen a major improvement on user interface that makes it even easier (and appealing) to use.

Cons:

- Small development team with small budget: as a result development happens at a slow pace, even though developers do have great ideas and roadmap. - Lacks non-destructive filters/effects like in Photoshop - Lacks some vector operations (only works with bitmaps) - While there is plenty of documentation and tutorials, most image editing tutorials and manuals are addressed to Photoshop only, and whereas in most cases the same techniques can be reproduced/adapted, it requires extra effort that some users do not want to make. - The fact that it is not so broadly used as Photoshop may be a problem if collaborating with others, even though GIMP opens and saves Photoshop's native file format (although, admittedly, some filters/effects may be lost).

Ben
Marketing Coordinator in US
Real Estate, 51–200 Employees

Cost Efficient Alternative to Photoshop

Comments: Overall, GIMP is a cost-effective photo editing tool that shares many of the same features and functions of Photoshop and other editing programs. We've enjoyed every minute of using this open-source program, which has allowed us to remove an expense from our computer budget!

Pros:

GIMP has most of the features and functionality that one enjoys using with Photoshop, without the high user fee prices that Adobe sets. Open source and available to download on PC or Mac.

Cons:

We have no complaints at this time. We've been able to effectively utilize GIMP to our satisfaction.

Simone
Office Manager in UK
Hospital & Health Care, Self Employed

Gimp Review 2019 - The Best Free Alternative To Photoshop

Comments: Gimp does not have all of the features that Photoshop does, but is pretty close, and the fact that it is free you can't complain. The software is however open source, so you can make changes to it, and a quick google, and you can normally find a way or a tutorial to achieve what you wanted.
I love Gimp and have been using it for years for Art and Graphics design, as well as other personal projects. The software is able to save your work in so many formats, making it easy to use your work across other platforms. A massive thumbs up.

Pros:

The overall and best thing about this software is that it is free. This is a great alternative to Adobe Photoshop, and will not disappoint you. The fact that this software is free does not mean that it is lacking in features. Gimp has many ways in which you can retouch your images, has amazing tools for cropping, colour adjustment, noise reduction, gradients, customizable brushes and many other tools that you can use. If you are looking for more advanced features, Gimp also covers this with layer masks, filters, bezier curves and even has an animation package. The customizable brushes are a must for any artist, and adding them is so simple. This makes Graphic Design and artwork very easy to achieve the look and feel that you want.

Cons:

Occasionally, and I mean very occasionally, Gimp software might have a little glitch. This does not seem to effect my work though, and I haven't lost any, but may result in a action box remaining on the screen after it has finished doing it's thing. This is not really a problem though as I just place my window that I am working on, over the top of it, and it is no longer visible. Gimp does not have all of the features that Photoshop does, but is pretty close, and the fact that it is free you can't complain. The software is however open source, so you can make changes to it, and a quick google, and you can normally

Computer Software, 201–500 Employees

Nice Photoshop alternative for basic image editing tasks

Comments: As a digital marketer, I’m using GIMP as an alternative to Photoshop to cover my daily Social Media purposes.
Although it is a nice Photoshop alternative that copies almost all of its tools, it is obvious that the user interface has a way weaker design, but for an open-source free software, it offers a decent solution.
GIMP is suitable for daily micro-tasks such as resizing, blurring, cropping, layers management, rotating, scaling, and background erasing.
More complex tasks such as object selection, cloning, shrinking/growing area, etc. may need more effort.
Judging by my overall experience these are the (+) and (-).
Pros
- Easy installation
- Open-source/free software
- Includes almost all the essential Photoshop tools
Cons
- Outdated UI
- Some tools (shrink, selection) are way more complex and time-consuming
- Absence of Shapes tool which is helpful in Photoshop
My comments are about version GIMP 2.10.32.
Concluding, I would totally recommend GIMP as a Photoshop alternative for simple daily image editing tasks, but I’m not sure if that’s the right tool for professionals.

Pros:

- Easy installation - Open-source/free software - Includes almost all the essential Photoshop tools

Cons:

- Outdated UI - Some tools (shrink, selection) are way more complex and time-consuming - Sometimes the exported result is not of the requested quality(maybe that depends on the user’s skills level) - Absence of Shapes tool which is helpful in Photoshop

Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Ideal for retouching photos

Comments: Actually for me personally it has been a great advantage to have Gimp because I can use it on any machine without the need for licenses, and it works a lot for the retouching and editing of photographs that is the main use I have given to it and that I have recommended to my supervised that they use. It's easy, fast, it's light, it's practical and no more expertise is required.

Pros:

As an editor of an internal communication medium on a daily basis, and in the absence of private licenses for the installation of software recognized for graphic editing, Gimp became an ally for journalists who had to edit their photographs daily before uploading it to the news portal . The ease of installation, and ease of use for editing and retouching photos in size, color, brightness and resolution is for beginners and there is a lot of information and online tutorials for those who do not know it.

Cons:

Very little publicity about its existence and the new features that the new version brings; besides, it is not intuitive for other functions that are not simply the retouching of images or photographs; as a competitor of photoshop it's a great alternative, but for quick and easy designs for social networks, there are other more intuitive programs for people who are not specialists in design program management. The official support is not very clear, and you should always resort to tutorials from other users.

Alessandro
Student in Italy
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 10,000+ Employees

Free, open source, useful Image editor

Comments: I use this software daily in order to make, presentations, to write a lot of my notes or simply because I want a new background for my PC. Once you become familiar with it it's useful and, you can basically run it on any PC.

Pros:

This is a FREE software which you can use to crop, edit (colour, add shapes, rescale, tilt, mirror, add layers on, draw on, put on perspective, blur, alpha filter, add lights and so much more). You can save you images in either .xcf, which is the native GIMP format, so you can edit the file later on, or export it in a ton of different formats: png, jpg, gif, pgm, pmb, psd, pdf, tip, bmp, xpm and many more. The fact that it's free and can run on Linux, Mac OS and Windows is definitely a pro, since it means that you can use it on any PC, be it at work, at home or literally anywhere... oh, and there's a portable version too, so you don't even have to install it (for instance on the PC at work).

Cons:

In the beginning it could be a little difficult to understand some things and personally I had to figure out how to hide the two default panels with the most useful commands, when they cover the image you have to edit. Anyway it's not really too big a deal, since on the net you can always find a lot of forums and/or videos with useful tips and commands.