Screencastify Reviews

4.5 (131) Write a Review!

About Screencastify

Record, edit and share HD screencasts from within your Chrome browser. Create engaging product demos, tutorials, UX/UI tests and more.

Learn more about Screencastify

Screencastify ratings

4.5
4.1
4.3
4.4

8.5/10

Screencastify has an overall rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars based on 131 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Screencastify before?

Russell
Russell
Teacher, Consultant in US
E-Learning, Self Employed

I love Screencastify!

Comments: I am extremely pleased with how simple it has been to use Screencastify.
I've been able to record screen recordings that can be quickly shared with students and teammates. I love it!

Pros:

Screencastify is a phenomenal and easy to use tool for teachers and students! It has so many great features. First, you have the ability to create videos of your screen (with or without your headshot). This can be used to "flip" the classroom, frontload with information, students who are out sick, for small groups that are working on different topics, differentiation, or for centers activities. In a way, this allows you to be more than one place at once! Beyond that, you can add graphics on the screen while recording (including lines, circles, etc.), which can draw attention to certain parts of your presentation for the students. Another great feature is that it links and syncs with your Google Drive. Your videos are automatically stored there, if you use Google Drive. You can then get a link that easily shared with students. Last, I only scratched the surface of all the great stuff about Screencastify, but they also have an awesome certification program you can take to learn more - great customer support!

Cons:

To be honest, I have no complaints about Screencastify. I only need the ability to record short videos that can be shared with students or teammates, and Screencastify helps me accomplish that goal. I'm also able to do what I need to do with the free version, but have considered the subscription so that I can get access to more minutes per month. It's a great platform - give it a try!

Kelly A.
Kelly A.
Secondary Technology Teacher in US
Primary/Secondary Education, 501-1,000 Employees

Works well with Google Classroom Integration

Comments: I am able to quickly record my screen and it allows you to open other screens without having to add permissions. Also easy to follow with the circle for mouse clicks and highlights. Can imbed webcam at the bottom of the video, or it will disappear once you start showing online actions.

Pros:

I enjoy how easy it is to use and how quickly the video is processed. It easily integrates into Google Suite for Education products.

Cons:

I wish the editing capabilities were a bit more robust. There are some capabilities in the paid version.

Owner in US
Internet

Works just fine. Could use some attention.

Comments: Quick way to share video tutorials.

Pros:

This is affordable and simple to install solution for screen capture and video sharing. I like to use the software for capturing video tutorials and explanations to accompany my email clarifications. It is conveniently accessible and ultimately does the trick. It is nice to have the options to save or upload and share a link.

Cons:

This is not always compatible on mobile. Some time the uploads for videos freeze and must be recorded again. Also, the selection of the screen that you wish to record is sometimes confusing and I have managed to record nothing but my voice. Overall, it does the trick but I wouldn't be able to confidently recommend.

Amr
Instructional Designer. in Egypt
Higher Education, 11-50 Employees

The Easiest Screencasting Solution.

Comments: As an Instructional Designer/Trainer, Screencastify makes it easy for me to record bite-sized tutorials, edit them, and share them on whatever platform my trainees are on. I encourage trainees to use Screencastify as a learning activity tool in digital literacy courses. It empowers them to demonstrate their digital skills by creating videos and digital content and sharing it online.

Pros:

Screencastify is an easy-to-use video recording Chrome extension. It enables me to record my screen/webcam and edit the videos directly within the Chrome browser. It has efficient editing and sharing features that allow me to trim videos, add interactive questions and post the final video to my Google classroom.

Cons:

Almost nothing. But it would be great if the app developers enriched the interactive questions feature by adding more question types and rich media embed options.

Jeheen Mahmood
Founder in Bangladesh
Outsourcing/Offshoring, 2-10 Employees

A basic screen recording tool for on the go use

Comments: I used to take lots of screenshots, annotate them, add them to lengthy chats or emails to explain tasks to my remote employees. It was literally the most time-consuming task of the day for me. Screencastify managed to cut this time by over 75%. I could simply record what I was doing and explaining my thought process for them to follow without any deviation. It saved my a lot of work hours, cant thank enough.

Pros:

This was my first screen recording tool and I must say it did the job pretty good. I haven't used it in some time, so I can not discuss the current features. But I can easily say it, Screencastify did make my life a lot easier. I used it as a chrome app and it was very light and fast. It was very easy to start the app and do a short clip of recroding for explainer video.

Cons:

I used the free version of Screencastify and it had a limited video duration of 10 minutes. I had to break my tutorials into 10 minute long segments. There was a total video per month limitation too, though I never reached thar. It was a bother splitting videos in to 10 minutes segments, but on the other hand, I was using the free versioin of the app and cant expect everything they have on the paid plan.

Priya
Division Chair in US

Screencastify Your Stars

Comments: In distance learning, it has been a platform that allows me to teach, check and assess language and language development in my students, even though we are in a virtual learning environment.

Pros:

This product allows me to support my students with their language acquisition by creating videos. The videos show me how well they can read, make an oral presentation or recite a poem.

Cons:

The fact that students can record videos, as well as embedded videos with text, is great. Perhaps we need directions and support in both Spanish and English for a more comprehensive North American version.

Luke
Luke
Client Services in UK

Forget recording via Google Meet

Comments: We had to find an alternative for using Google Meet's native screen recording when it was made a premium feature and Screencastify not only replaced it but surpassed it. It's very easy to use, I can annotate the recording in real-time - good for highlighting or drawing moustaches - and quickly edit and export it afterwards.

Pros:

Screencastify is so easy to install, easy to export and has some great editing and instant scribing features.

Cons:

The only downside is that it's limited to Chrome.

Luca
Freelance in Italy
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

The quickest and easiest tool for recording your screen

Comments: I started using Screencastify several years ago to record video guides for my clients and courses after hearing about it online. I immediately liked its simplicity and continue to use it today and recommend it to anyone looking for a quick and easy tool to make screen recorders. Before Screencastify I had never made a screen recorder and I was very happy with it.

Pros:

Incredibly simple, just press a button to start recording the screen, record as long as you need and press another button to end the recording. Time a few minutes and the video is uploaded to the Drive and ready to be shared with whomever you want

Cons:

Video editing tools have never been very quick and easy to use.

Jessica
Education Management, 501-1,000 Employees

Great for virtual teaching!

Comments: Wonderful for recording a lesson to post for virtual students!

Pros:

I love that I can click record and create a lesson for students who are stuck at home. I can choose to record my entire screen, or just one tab. Also, the editing is great. I can cut out what I need. I have it set to automatically upload my videos to Google Drive so I can share the link easily.

Cons:

I love everything about this software. There is even a chrome exte6!

Jasmine
Freelance in US
Computer Software, Self Employed

Screencastify Review

5.0 last month New

Comments: It is super easy to use and you just click to start recording your screen and then click to stop the recording and you're done!

Pros:

I use Screencastify to record my screen all the time and it is very easy and simple to navigate. It is very helpful to record things so I can look back at them later for personal and professional use.

Cons:

I honestly cannot think of any cons associated with this software other than maybe being limited to chrome.

Operations in Guatemala
Public Policy, 2-10 Employees

Screencastify is awesome!

Comments: I use it mostly to record any procedures or even any task that I want others to get done. I show them step by step on what to do so that there is no room for misunderstandings and everyone is on the same page.

Pros:

It is so simple to use. Just download the extension and viola! Whenever you need to record your screen with voice-over just click on the extension, choose your preferences, click record select which tab or screen (if you have multiple screens like I do) and wait for the countdown. And yes, you are able to choose how long you want the countdown to be. Once you hit zero you can start speaking and showing others whatever you want. This is great for tutorials and how-to videos. Once done you just click on the extension button again and select the "stop recording" option and it gets saved automatically to your google drive if you are online and when you are offline it will just save it to your computer. And that is it! I love using it for when I need to explain how I use whatever new software my company is trying to adopt and it helps me record the process so that I don't need to repeat myself when teaching others how to use the new software. I simply record my procedure and send the google drive link to everyone and they can view it wherever they are and whenever they please, repeating it, pausing it and downloading it like any other video. It doesn't take much space and it is very easy to understand on the first go. I recommend it widely.

Cons:

You have to use it with chrome only. There is a limit to the length of the videos and you can only record a certain number of videos a month unless if you pay of course. The free version also adds a watermark to the videos but its small and in the corner and you hardly ever notice it.

Nick
Nick
District Staff Development Coordinator in US

Simple and Effective Screencast Tool

Comments: I love being able to create flipped lessons for my students and staff with this tool and that it simply saves them to my Google Drive for easy access. This allows me to create lessons around common issues so that students can go back and watch them whenever they need to. This frees me up to spend more time conferencing with other students.

Pros:

The best feature is that Screencastify is a Google extension that can record right from your web browser and then save directly to your Google Drive. This is great because it is very simple to share it out or give someone access to this recording. I also like that you are able to screen share as well as add your own image/picture in picture to this. This is great when you are creating flipped videos and lesson for students. Everything is pretty simple to use and quick.

Cons:

One big hiccup is the fact that it only saves to a specified file type to your Google Drive. This is a problem if you want to upload this file to another program, or download and send as an attachment. I was able to find that there is a Google Drive add-on that is able to read video files and convert as needed. Also- under the free version you are limited to any editing tools, as well as time limit. I don't usually go over 10 minutes so this is fine, but you'll need the premium if you want longer videos.

Barbara
SIS Administrator in US
Education Management, 11-50 Employees

Best screecasting tool for the money

Comments: I use this tool daily. I support school administrators and teachers with their student information system. Creating a screencast to actually demonstrate what I'm trying to teach or troubleshoot with grades, etc. is priceless!

Pros:

It has a Chrome extension that when installed only takes two clicks to begin your recording. It also saves to your Google Drive.

Cons:

The free version of this software does not allow you to edit your videos. I wish they included that. But the mere cost of $49/year/users isn't too pricy to get the editing feature.

Project Manager in Australia

Amazing product - highly recommended!

Comments: The ability to quickly and easily capture screen recordings on my Chromebook and share them via Google Drive.

Pros:

Easy to use, automatically uploads to Google Drive and creates a sharing link with 1 click, allows cropping duration or part of screen, selecting to record tab or whole screen, audio from tab, user or off. I've tried lots of other screencasting offerings and this is by far the best I've used. Soon after purchase I got in touch with some questions about how to do a couple of things and they were prompt and polite and answered everything. Seriously, this software is amazing and I use it most days and love it!

Screencastify Response

5 years ago

David, Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm really glad to hear about your positive experience. Please do reach out if you have questions or more feature requests in the future! James

Paul
Director of Operational Technology in US
Primary/Secondary Education, 201-500 Employees

Easy, powerful and flexible

Comments: We started with the free version (limits to 5 minutes of recording and, I believe, has a water mark). After realizing that showing staff how to do something is more beneficial than creating "how to" documents, we purchased a couple licenses to try it out. From there, more and more staff wanted to use it and we currently sit at 15 licenses that we can "check out" as needed to any of our staff. No regrets in our purchase and our staff love it.

Pros:

Very simple to set up and easy to use (even our non-technical staff use it often). Installation is simply adding a Chrome Extension and then assigning a license to an email account. Having the flexible licensing (allowing us to transfer a license from one user to another as needed) is great since recording videos, typically, isn't a daily need. The options are easy to understand allowing the user to share a desktop, browser tab and even show the presenter in-screen on the recording. The addition of drawing tools really enhance the entire package. Cost is low and well worth it.

Cons:

Honestly, there is very little to not like about Screencastify. Any issues that we've had have always come down to user error (such as the webcam not being installed or plugged in). I did not rank customer service since we've never had to use them. That, to me, says volumes about how easy the product is to use.

Janet
teacher librarian in US
Libraries, 51-200 Employees

Screencastify the most versatile screencasting software

Comments: This one tool provides more opportunities than almost any other for onsite and distance learning. It's easy to learn, easy to install the extension on Google Chrome, and offers integration with Google Classroom and the ability to export to YouTube. Great all-around video tool

Pros:

My school district provides the upgraded version of Screencastify and it has been the best tech tool for teaching during Covid. It allows teachers to show students how to navigate a webpage, allows them to record with their face in the video or not, and offers so much flexibility for sharing information with kids. The editing tools are easy to use, and the options for exporting the videos are robust. This is an easy tool to use with so many possibilities.

Cons:

I wish my blooper recordings could go away easier--I always feel guilty having the recording process and then putting it in the trash can!

Stewart
Director of Instructional Innovation & eLearning in US

Best Screen Recorder for Classroom Teachers and Students

Comments: I have been using Screencastify for years. Ever since I was a classroom teacher and now that I train teachers in my district and around the state it is one of my top 5 go to programs to show and use with all teachers K-12.

Pros:

The ease of use coupled with it's integration into the GSuite platform makes this an invaluable tool for all school employees but especially teachers and even students to create and demonstrate learning at a fundamental level.

Cons:

The free version is great but the lack of being able to do basic edits made it hard to implement across the district. However, at the current price point purchasing the district license is a no brainer.

Shane
Shane
Instructional Technology Facilitator in US
Education Management, 5,001-10,000 Employees

Just keeps getting better...

Comments: I use it for quick tutorial for teachers, reflections for students, recording directions. It's great for screen recording or making presentations with audio!

Pros:

I've been using this product for about 2 years and it just keeps getting better! First off, the free version is great! What you get for nothing is hard to beat. The ability to quickly screen record a lesson, tutorial, etc. is awesome. And it's so simple to use. I also love that it links seamlessly with my Google Drive and other social media platforms. They are constantly providing helpful updates, as well. Plus, their customer service and help site is very helpful.

Cons:

Due to fact that they update so often (which is good), it is difficult to keep up. Nothing major really changes, they just keep you on your toes with all the simple updates and changes they make!

Sarah
Instructional Technologist in US
Education Management, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Screencastify in Anderson One

Comments: I have been using Screencastify for four years now. I love how it continues to update and add new features that teachers find useful. The video editor has been one of my favorite additions that I use regularly.

Pros:

As a K-12 Instructional Technologist in Anderson One, I rely on and use Screencastify on a regular basis. I use Screencastify to record how-to tutorials for my teachers, administrators, and even parents and students in our district. Screencastify is very easy to use. I love the ability to edit my video and upload to YouTube all within Screencastify.

Cons:

I would love the ability to record my screen and have the option to also have my webcam showing me in the bottom of the screen. We have seen this option in Loom and would like it added to Screencastify as well.

Mary
Account Manager in Costa Rica

I love that it can easily capture and store videos on google drive.

Comments: It's helps increase my productivity and communication between myself and my accounts.

Pros:

I love that it's an extension in Chrome. The ease of saving videos in my Google Drive and sharing those links is definitely the biggest advantage.

Cons:

The UI feels clunky at times. It is sometimes slow to start and while I understand that may just be my connection, the lack of an offline option is also a drawback.

Screencastify Response

5 years ago

Hey Mary, thanks so much for your review! We truly appreciate it. One quick note - Screencastify does work offline (though of course you won't be able to save to your Google Drive until you go back online). So even if you're offline, just click record and everything should work fine - though again the video will only save locally until you go back online. Please let me know if you have any questions or trouble recording offline. Thanks again! James

Emily
Education Management, 51-200 Employees

Great video capture with screen too

5.0 last week New

Comments: Convenient way to communicate details of websites at a distance and not locked in time.

Pros:

A pro with screencastify was that I was able to show my screen show, where the students should click or press to activate different lessons. The ability to show full screen video or full screen of my computer was a nice feature.

Cons:

The download time was incredible and often frustrating.

Mildred
Education IT specialist in Canada
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 Employees

GREAT tool for Education

Comments: Like the product very much. Very well develop and easy to use

Pros:

Super easy to deploy for Google Education platform. Very friendly on how to use it and have great resources and how to for education

Cons:

It is sad that when you go Unlimited or to the paying option you have to choose the unlimited Record/Edit/Submit. It will be great to have an option for all in one option with a great discount :)

Bryan
Bryan
operations specialist in US

I used this to make screenshots/videos

Pros:

I liked the ability use keyboard shortcuts and to do screenshots or videos. The mark up features were useful as well to point things out to clients we send shots to.

Cons:

I found that my library would get fill rather quickly and that many times we would have to remove old shots in order to take an share new ones. Sometimes when that happens the old videos we had shared were cut off and no longer visible.

Christopher
Christopher

Screencasts Made Simple

Comments: As a teacher who makes many instructional videos, I have found Screencastify to be invaluable. It takes a lot of the stress out of making screencasts

Pros:

Screencastify takes the guesswork out of making a screencast. With simple, easy-to-use controls you can make a screencast in 3 clicks. The toolset and editor also allow users to make screencasts that range from simply recording the screen to on-screen annotations and text. It is a lightweight but powerful tool.

Cons:

The biggest issue I have experienced is stopping the video and accessing the tools can slow down the video. There are shortcut keys but they require hitting multiple keys. The flow of the video can sometimes be affected by switching tools or stopping the recording. If you use the mouse to stop the video and do not want that on the end you must manually remove it. It would be helpful if the shortcut keys were simpler.

Paula

Great for instructional videos

Comments: Overall, it has been great! The videos automatically upload to my Google drive making it that much easier to share them with my students.

Pros:

I love that it captures my viewboard screen so I can share examples with my students. I did not need any extra equipment and it took about 2 minutes to allow permissions and I was ready to record.

Cons:

The share screen label will not go away. I can move it, but it is a distraction when I have to move to continue working out a math problem for my students.