Overall ease of use if familiar with WYSIWYG programming, otherwise can be difficult to manipulate.

Reviewed on 11/10/2017
Alison W.
PowerSchool Administrator
51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We are able to build our IT assets database using this software. We are able to replicate our insurance claim form within it to pull information from our asset record and have another layout for the repairs. We are able to seamlessly find a record, make a new insurance repair record, click a button to email our insurance provider, print mailing and asset labels, and communicate back to the user with just three layouts including the labels. Our previous database, before being rebuilt was 53 layouts but was able to be streamlined to just the three using some slick little boxes that keep a record of repairs on a single device, and by using buttons. This makes filing insurance repair claims much quicker than filling out their excel and PDF forms by hand and also gives us a location to keep our own record.

Pros: I like the granularity of the software and the fact that it can be almost limitless in the possibilities. We use this software to keep our IT asset database, and when we lost the member of our team who managed our database to retirement, we found ourself in a quandary the first time it did not function as needed due to a change in our insurance company's requirements. I was able to figure out the software on my own and rebuild our database in simplified form within three weeks, and fully import all of our assets. Layouts are easily modifiable and integrate well into other applications, like mail. Scripts were easily definable through a little trial and error for this novice. Additionally, the fact that multiple people at our organization can be viewing a single record at once is quite helpful, even if only one can edit at a time, which is easily understandable. Overall, a solid product.

Cons: In terms of cons, Filemaker, while robust, is not very friendly for new users. It is easy to override data that is not locked, and when items are locked, they tend to not be able to function in scripts as well as unlocked data. Additionally, while the data in fields may be requisite for locking, with the chance of change being a rarity, it is not fragile enough to warrant it be locked and unlocked in layout every time. A protective middle-ground would be nice to be able to implement with the click of a button rather than having to write a script to go "Are you sure?". Additionally, my IT director of several years was unable to rebuild or modify our database without issue despite 16 years of IT experience and many more years than myself with FM. My background in WYSIWYG programs like Adobe GoLive prepared me for their natural, if sometimes clunky, nature. I wish the software was less clunky, and more user-friendly, because it would be great for general IT users.

Simple database software, that can be used for so much more

Reviewed on 12/06/2017
James K.
Developer
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Organisation, and minimising of repetitive tasks

Pros: Filemaker is extremely adaptable. It can be used by a small one-or-two computer setup, right up to a huge conglomerate. The software remains the same, and enables your business to grow without having to keep changing software. They are constantly updating the extra functionality; with the latest revision there is more possibility for engagement with other applications, enhanced security, and a re-designed interface for PC users. I have been using FMP for the last 10 years, first as a tool in my business, and latterly as a developer with many companies. It is as robust today as it was when I started, and keeps getting better.

Cons: Enabling the use of FIlemaker on a large-scale for a small company is very difficult. Let me explain... Company A provides security guards to Clubs, Shops, Companies, etc... They have a full-time workforce of 10 employees, and then 400 security personnel on their books as either casual or part-time employees. The 10 full-time employees utilise Filemaker Pro to book jobs for the part-time and casual employees, the software is also used for vetting potential new recruits, invoicing companies, and keeping a history of who has worked where, and any comments from either side about that. An extra function would be to allow the part-time and casual employees the ability to see part of the Filemaker database, so they could access their upcoming jobs and leave any comments. With iBeacons, a safety system could also be utilised to make sure they are on patrol at a certain time in a given location. With Filemaker's current structure, each casual worker would need their own license to make this extra functionality easily happen, which of course is prohibitively expensive. But if that is the only drawback I can think of, then they are doing just fine!

Filemaker has brought to light data service saving hours of data manipulation producing tears of joy

Reviewed on 08/06/2017
Jim H.
Technology Director
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Keeping Data secure and yet available to our employees gives them a sense of in control. We use the data to produce a daily log of their activity and then use that data to bill our customers. It is so much better than trying to find the data from their individual reports and then creating the reports on a monthly basis. Now we simply hit a button and the reports are done.
I love how as a developer we can see our users appreciate the software because it makes their jobs easier and gives them the sense that they can concentrate on other things rather than the record keeping.
Our users are happier and excited about bringing the qualifiers of the data to light so they can justify their work. In an app that tracks trouble requests, a log is created to show all that the tech people do to facilitate repair issues. No longer are those in charge wondering what their subordinates are doing. They can just open the app and see what they've accomplished.

Pros: I love that if you can think it, Filemaker can produce it. Given the time to develop motion, you can get the software to repeat that motion over and over. That saves time and time is money. I love how it provides mental exercise while developing but also is intuitive when it comes to building a custom application that the whole business can take advantage. After an introduction to a new "app" built in Filemaker, it isn't long that all departments ask "what could it do for us?" And the answer is "what do you need". It is so versatile. Integration with things like email, Google, Office can lead to great productivity.

Cons: The think I like least is the capability in reports to do some word processing capabilities. But it's still a great Form library. But I wish it could insert a page break that would be understood while printing a report.

Filemaker Pro Developer for many years

Reviewed on 24/07/2018
Co Founder
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Filemaker Pro allows you to prototype and built database production grade applications fast. The nicest thing about Filemaker Pro is that you built the database structure, scripts and layouts in the same application. Building lay outs is as easy as drag and drop and doesn't require extensive design skills or knowledge of secondary technologies such as HTML/CSS/JavaScript. Personally I think anyone who's willing to dedicated some time for training is able to become a Filemaker Developer. Another nice thing is that database applications can easily be integrated with mobile platforms. Filemaker applications can be hosted online (cloud), on premise on Filemaker Server and locally on the Filemaker client. The applications that I've build with Filemaker run for 10+ years already on a Filemaker Server multi site environment and is in use by 25+ people on a daily basis. Filemaker is regularly updated (major versions usually once a year) which introduces new features. These updates make Filemaker better each round, for instance the latest upgrade introduces sensory perception for IOS devices and a new administration console. Finally, the development and implementation costs of Filemaker Pro applications are very low compared to enterprise database solutions making it really attractive for SMB. The licensing is server and client based and there is also a subscription based license to be paid annually.

Cons: The pros of Filemaker Pro heavily outweigh its cons but here is a few:
- Performance of applications is nowhere as good as that of enterprise solutions, especially when multiple clients from different sites connect to an on premise hosted server.
- Filemaker has its own scripting engine, which is pretty good, but some functions/operations can be a bit difficult to implement due to its limitations which is easier in SQL.

Useful but complicated

Reviewed on 12/03/2019
Artist
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: It's solving my inventory problem. I ended up using an off shoot of filemaker pro which was organized by a fellow artist for my inventory needs. This was exceedingly useful because she had already sat down and done all the complicated set up work and I'm reaping the rewards. This has allowed me to organize all the work I have physically in my apartment as well as the work that is consigned. It has helped me keep track of the production costs so that I know how to price the pieces for sale. It has helped me easily pull up the titles when sending out proposals. The list could go on and on. It's a vastly useful software if you can get over the initial hurdle of making the database a reflection of your personal needs.

Pros: I regularly use this software for inventory reasons, especially in relation to art. With that said, it allows you to build your own layout and database to adapt it to exactly what you want it to be. When fully adapted it works beautifully. Using it in the context of galleries or other spaces where it has been set up is a dream. It allows relatively easy searches in many categories, allowing you to create very specific, isolated keywords to find things later (such as their price, year created, subject matter, title, name of creator etc). It's very useful.

Cons: This software is not easy to set up. I did a trial run at my house, as an artist myself, to see if I could use filemaker for my own inventory needs. Once I had the software downloaded, I found it exceedingly complicated to begin to create the boxes/ qualifiers with which I wanted to be able to add data. I don't consider myself a novice with softwares. I think I'm fairly capable on a computer and even after watching a few YouTube tutorials I ended up giving up on the prospect of using this at home. It seems more relevant for businesses where there is someone well-versed in database softwares to adapt it to yoru specific needs.

The Best Database Software for Small to Medium Businesses, AND for Beginners Starting Out

Reviewed on 14/05/2018
Joel B.
Technology Consultant
51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We have done our timekeeping in FileMaker for over two decades. We developed numerous other business solutions that have had a significant impact on our ability to be profitable and become more efficient at everything we do as a company.

Pros: I tried learning databases with SQL and MS Access. It wasn't until I started using FileMaker that I really began understanding how databases work. Although FileMaker is VERY powerful, it caters to beginners in a way that no other software does. The ability to grasp how databases function, how to build them, how to maintain them, and how to develop a solution for yourself, or others, is unmatched. I learned databases with FileMaker and that has helped me understand how SQL works and how databases in general work. All this to say that the thing I like the most about FileMaker is how easy it was to learn along with how powerful it is to develop in. I can make something small for myself, or something huge for a client.

Cons: FileMaker's weakest spot has to do with user interface (layout) tools. Although there is a very good selection of controls available, it pales in comparison to what you can get with other software. Even a free version of Visual Studio will provide you with a lot more layout controls than FileMaker. Although this is FileMaker's biggest weakness, it also means that you aren't overwhelmed with options when designing layouts. That feeds into FileMaker's strengths of being easy to learn.

Fantastic prototyping and database system

Reviewed on 25/07/2019
Peter F.
CTO
Government Administration, 201-500 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: At my old job at a translation company, I built an entire "company management system" from scratch over the course of 10 years. The database(s) handles everything from employees, customers, timesheets, project management, invoicing, subletting workstations (they also ran a small office hotel).
A lot of functions were built into the databases to offload a lot of manual tasks to the scripts.
Importing Trados project translation data the project management database, allowing the invoicing, translator payments and project data to be easily calculated. This was previously a manual process and calculation which took more than an hour to gather and process. I wrote a parser in Filemaker that parsed the Trados Project data file, which contained all the data anyway. Thus reducing several hours of (manual) labor per project to mere seconds. There were many of such special functions that was offloaded to Filemaker scripts. Also wrote an SMS/texting script (which used Envaya SMS on an android phone), allowing easy contact with the translators from within the Project Management database. Quick and easy communication with the translators without having to look up their phone numbers all the time.

Pros: The most powerful part of FileMaker is its scripting platform.
It makes it easy to add many more functions to a database, while requiring a lot less experience with programming than e.g. coding in SQL. Simple IF/THEN/ELSE commands is a godsend, when you need to create a logic for database functions. While making logic statements is also possible in SQL, it is far from easy, and getting data from a field in SQL? You need a lot of commands; in Filemaker, you just select the relevant field or can even make a logic function that selects the correct field.
I could write for hours about the fantastic scripting system...

Cons: Only dislike I have, is that I currently do not have the time to delve into some serious database-design and programming, but that is not actually a problem with the software, but stress-levels at work... So unfortunately I do not use Filemaker at my new job, but I remember it fondly from my old job. (and that is a con in my book, that I do not get to use FileMaker on a daily basis). It's not like we do not have tasks that could benefit from a Filemaker Database, but there are just a lot of other tasks that needs doing.

Easy, powerful do it yourself solution

Reviewed on 14/11/2018
David W.
Nonprofit Organization Management, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I have used FileMaker for 22 years and am continually impressed with its evolution. It has leap-frogged passed Access as a "home database" and now competes with top-level professional data solutions. FileMaker Go is a pleasure to use. I have built my own Contacts solution that is years ahead of anything in the iOS app store. I wish a customer portal could be built to make dealing with support issues easier. The single biggest request, an Android version, falls on deaf ears; likely because FileMaker is owned by Apple Inc.

Pros: The FileMaker platform (desktop, server, cloud, FileMaker Go mobile app) is lightyears in simplicity ahead of Microsoft Access - which I often hear as the "go-to do it yourself" solution. FileMaker is ridiculously simple to use, especially when using a built-in starter solution. FileMaker scales to almost enterprise levels of use. The scripting functionality make creation of custom apps (no longer called "solutions") a very quick affair. FileMaker works with Microsoft Windows, Mac OS, and the iOS FileMaker Go App. Pricing is very reasonable considering all it does.

Cons: Development of the platform usually runs slower than emerging technologies can be incorporated. There is no Android version of the mobile app. The web app is an acceptable solution for simple solutions, but usually not a good option for apps using complex scripting. Support can be challenging. There is no customer portal to manage keys and payment information.

Complex Relational Databases for Non-Complex Creators.

Reviewed on 12/10/2017
Stefany D.
Co-Founder
Real Estate, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: A simple way to throw a database together in minutes for a mailing list or tracking inventory. With the same ease of use, you can have a complex structure for a relational database. Filemaker has allowed me to create what I need myself. Without hiring or outsourcing, I was able to save a great deal of money.

Pros: I've been a user of Filemaker on and off since it's early days as a Claris product. The number one pro in my opinion is the ease in which you can start using Filemaker Databases. The templates out of the gate are well built, have a nice UI and give you the freedom to make them yours easily. Beginners can use the templates to get a taste for the Filemaker development structure while not having to climb a steep learning curve to get an app or database off the ground. Deployment is one click for simple web use and a few more clicks to deploy on a hosted solution like Amazon Web Services. For the expert user, complex systems can be made in a shorter amount of time and a GUI can be in place at the same time. Single developer and teams can all just in can create some thing truly functional and efficient. The ease of use allows you to really create what you wanted not what you are able to achieve due to a learning curve. Help is readily available in the forums and through their customer support. I have received database files as example of how to fix a problem I was having. They really go the extra mile to get you up and running fast. There is a vast library of plug-ins from third party vendors that close the gap on development time. Days if not weeks of time can be saved with one plug-in. They don't come cheap so be sure you need it. There is are also a multitude of free add-ons and plug-in to add functionality to your databases.

Cons: Licensing is a little steep for a small business or single user. The add-ons are also a bit pricey. When looking at the cost to develop, you really need to budget and make sure you only buy what you need.

Excellent database platform. Easy to use and easy to develop for.

Reviewed on 13/12/2017
Matthew B.
Systems Administrator/Analyst
Publishing, 201-500 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: After switching to FileMaker Server from another horrible piece of software, we are now able to easily do the development of our databases ourselves. This makes it a very flexible system for us.

Pros: FileMaker is incredibly easy to work with, offers generally well documented online help docs, and has a huge and active community of developers you can learn from. We have used FileMaker Server to host about 20 different databases with great results. I don't think I can overstate it enough that it was very easy for us to learn the software. We migrated from an outdated and ill-supported database system where development was only officially supported by the company that made the software. Contrast that with FileMaker where you are expected to do the development yourself because it's so simple. Very glad we switched to FileMaker.

Cons: I suppose my least favorite thing about FileMaker Server is that upgrading to a new version requires you to uninstall the current version first. This means you have to take some steps to preserve your server-specific settings before the uninstall/upgrade process otherwise you'll be starting from scratch with your server settings. Some settings can be exported to a file, but for others you have to take screenshots to preserve the settings which is a slight pain. This doesn't affect the databases you've created, but would affect scripts that are scheduled to run from the server.

The best cross-platform rapid application development framework out there!

Reviewed on 12/06/2017
Julio T.
IT Consultant
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We have been developing custom B2B apps extensively on this platform for over 15 years and use it internally for our own business.

Pros: You can quickly and easily design powerful and sophisticated custom applications that run on Mac, Windows, iOS, and the Web. You develop once and deploy the same base code on all platforms, customizing your forms according to each platform's needs. Their iOS runtimes take great advantage of Apple technologies like:
the buit-in GPS hardware and external iBeacons for location/geolocation based workflows
 the built-in camera for snapping photos and reading 2-D Barcode (barcode scanning)
multi-touch, for gesture-triggered actions and capturing on-screen signatures
Their Server and Cloud products are among the easiest to deploy and maintain. Their proprietary WebDirect technology is the easiest and fastest way to deploy web-based applications for workgroups that I have ever seen. Their suite of built-in web-integration capabilities spans the gamut: PHP, cURL, REST APIs, XML, and WebDirect.

Cons: Lack of a built-in push notification mechanism, either thru their Servers or via the host OS. Also, their Cloud product could benefit from Load Balancing support.

Powerful database system with easy to learn/use interface, but also powerful development back-end.

Reviewed on 08/06/2017
Jeff M.
Senior Consultant
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: The feature I enjoy most is the capability to use the product cross platform. I have a Windows 10 PC running at my desk, I use an Apple MacBook Pro on the road, along with my iPad where ever, and FileMaker gives me the ability to use my database applications on all those platforms.

Pros: Import your Excel spreadsheet, place a few fields on a form, within minutes you have created a user interface as a starting point for what can become a very powerful business application. Using the database manager, you can create links between data tables quickly and visually. Cross platform capable! Run the application on a PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone, or use a web interface (requires the server product). Once you start using this product, and it becomes an integral part of your business operation, you can either teach yourself the advanced features, or hire a consultant to help you out as there is a very strong developer community. The development language is a easy to learn scripting language.

Cons: FileMaker still struggles to gain acceptance in IT departments, and yet it is a legitimate application development environment with very powerful capabilities.

I have used the product as both a user/administrator, and as developer.

Reviewed on 25/04/2018
Duane S.
Customer Support

Pros: The software is easy to use and relatively easy to learn from a developer's standpoint. It has all of the functional capability one needs to develop a useful database application, such as contact/client management or - in my case - management of an art gallery's permanent collection.

Cons: What do you do when you outgrow the system or want to migrate to a more robust database system? For me this is the major drawback of Filemaker Pro - there are no tools to help you export a complete file that can be imported into another database. You can import text fields and fields with yes/no on/off switches, but you cannot export images/photographs. This is a major drawback if you are planning to use the product for a couple of years before migrating to a standard relational database. Basically, Filemaker Pro files are proprietary files and are not accessible to standard relational database methods, such as SQL. This is okay if (a) you will not outgrow the product or (b) you have no images/photographs included in the database.

I have been a Filemaker Pro user for years

Reviewed on 05/10/2019
Phillip A.
Insurance, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I was able to overcome old paper inventory systems by integrating an invoicing and CRM system together.

Pros: I like the fact that I can create almost anything with this platform. from Inventory Management to client Management, Lead Systems, Invoicing and Product Categories. I once automated a product catalog with this software for thousands of products.

Cons: Sometimes the scripting between modules was difficult to figure out, but I was able to find help with thie support and forums.

First data base I ever used!

Reviewed on 18/06/2018
Wendy R.
Payroll Accountant
201-500 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: This database has been used at both my jobs over the last 20 years....so it must tried and true to be used for so long.

Pros: I was brought into a job where I had to learn this program on my own. With the "help" tab and a little ingenuity I was able to pick up on the concept right away. I was able to build my own forms from the already set up data base. As years went on we had to change the forms and the information we collected and it was a cinch to figure out without the use of the "help" tab. When I moved into a new job I was able to test my knowledge of FileMaker pro in an updated version. As I had the basics down I was able to figure out how to use it for calculations as well as counts and general use of the database. I had to pretty much put together a balance sheet using a data base. It was interesting and fun to figure out.

Cons: I don't really have anything I can remember that was irritating to me that I thought should be done differently.

Just-right database management software

Reviewed on 24/03/2019
Jenn M.
Owner/music promoter
Entertainment, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I've been using FileMaker Pro as my database management software for over ten years. I'm dug in enough now with it that I don't expect to change, but I also don't want to.

Pros: I came in as a total novice, not a coder or any kind of database professional, and was able to build the forms and pages I needed to keep the info on my contacts organized and clear. It's a lightweight program that doesn't use much memory even for a database with thousands of pages, so it can move quickly and sort easily. I'm still discovering functionality years later that I didn't know existed, but happy with what I have already figured out.

Cons: I found it annoying that when I recently got a new computer and had to get a new copy of Filemaker, it couldn't read my .fp7 file, so it had to update the file, which then makes it unreadable on the old software on my old computer. Why couldn't they have just made one universal Filemaker file extension type? But that's a minor complaint.

Build your own... everything!

Reviewed on 06/11/2019
Gary F.
Database Magi
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We use FileMaker for everything. We recently installed an SMS system (as an API tagged to SendHub). We can now send messages, track messages, view threads, and analyze usage - all from within our CRM which was built entirely in-house in FileMaker.

Pros: FileMaker allows anyone to create anything. Ok , that's a bit of an exaggeration. The truth is, with a little work, you can build most every kind of database you would need - Payroll, CRM, Time Management, Mass Market Email, Inventory, etc. And what you can't build, you can find skilled developers to build for you. Plus there are add-ons galore, and FileMaker is compatible with any system that allows for an API interface.

Cons: There are only three things wrong with FileMaker. They are 1) the price, 2) the price, 3) the price. It's not that the price tag is not necessarily hefty, but the pricing structure makes entry difficult for a small business. Yet, FileMaker is IDEAL for small businesses in every other way!

It Works, but is it the best?

Reviewed on 18/12/2018
Stephanie R.
Event Manager
Events Services, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: If you're looking for an all in one platform, this isn't my first choice. Honestly, it's probably not in the top five for me. If you're looking for a database management software for tracking customers, sending invoices and proposals, and software you can update as your company grows, this is great. You'll probably need something better in the long run, but it's a good start.

Pros: The ease of creating forms and spreadsheets for data tracking with this software was pretty great. We used this mainly in our event planning business and I didn't really have a complaint. You can tell the program what information you need and it will track it and input what ever you've indicated you need it to input. It definitely depends on user input and you have to take the time to ensure your databases are updated. If you do that, you won't have a problem.

Cons: The only real aspect I didn't like was that there was no workflow type tracking. As our business grew, this is something we desperately needed, but it was never marketed to us as such, so I can't really complain about this. If you're looking for an all in one platform, this wouldn't be my first choice.

Immediate development results from renowned multi-platform suite

Reviewed on 04/12/2018
Sacha M.
FileMaker Developer
Insurance, 201-500 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Multi-platform deployment of a single code base, company-wide policy administration for internal and online-accounts - benefits are large system changes immediately testable within instantly-deployed self-contained environments for advanced automation and on-the-fly user interface updates. With a free trial, and a willingness to try a development system that focuses (though is not limited to) linear steps, you can experience truly productive results significantly faster than web-based systems, without compromising deployment options - a really flexible and hugely enjoyable development environment!

Pros: Instant compilation & execution of syntax-free code, visually-based object-linking / selection, immediate UI changes, plug-in and web-service extensibility, multi-platform deployment of single code-base solutions, from desktop to web and mobile.

Cons: Cost is the only consideration when recommending, though in comparison to other systems, it offers better value, just would benefit from a lower entry-level option for people to discover its power.

The BEST tool for Creative Problem Solvers

Reviewed on 05/03/2019
Intern
Higher Education, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We have used it to build custom workflows that integrate a facility calendar, invoicing clients for rental of space, and taking payments. Each company is unique, which is why it was so helpful to be able to build our own solution to the issues we were running into.

Pros: The flexibility offered by FileMaker is incredible. The more that I learn about how it works, the more I'm convinced that there's nothing you can't build with FileMaker at the core. Also, there's nothing like the community surrounding this platform. FileMaker developers are the most helpful, sharing people I've ever met. You never have to be afraid to ask a question if you get stuck because someone else has run into that problem before and they will help you through the other end.

Cons: Depending on your use case, it might be too expensive. The buy-in can be high so you have to be willing to invest in making something critical to your operations.

Flexible database app for simple to complex needs

Reviewed on 08/12/2018
Matthew B.
Systems Administrator/Analyst
Publishing, 201-500 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Initially we just wanted to convert our old and outdated database system over to FileMaker, but once others in the company saw the flexibility and ease of use of FileMaker, it's use has greatly increased throughout my company. It's seen a lot of use replacing MS Excel-based "systems", where users have just slapped together a bunch of messy Excel files in a confusing way without any help from IT. These Excel "systems" are growing, causing problems, and then are being replaced by FileMaker databases with great success.

Pros: I like that FileMaker is simple to learn (and to keep learning), with tons of resources available online including their own forums. Between youtube videos and some paid Lynda.com courses I feel very confident I can develop quality database solutions for my company. It's great software and I actually enjoy working with it.

Cons: The recent pricing structure change for version 17 file has me concerned about the direction FileMaker might be taking. So we've held onto version 16 for now and will be waiting to upgrade. Other than concerns about pricing I don't have anything else bad to say about it.

More than a database

Reviewed on 12/09/2018
Gary F.
Database Magi
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I've used FileMaker to create everything from a personal time management system to an online volunteer registration database. If you can imagine it, you can build it.

Pros: The FileMaker platform combines robust database management with a slick interface for designing a pleasant end-user experience. With some little training, a developer can become quite competent at creating a complete solution. With more experience and training, there's little that CAN'T be done with the system.

Cons: I have to say it; the least favorable piece of the system is its pricing structure. It's pricey to use for anything but medium to large scale deployment. Small businesses might find the cost prohibitive, and developers working for small organizations might not be able to produce solutions that are cost effective for their clients. You get a lot of horsepower, but it comes at a price.

Filemaker Pro Advanced

Reviewed on 07/01/2019
Casey R.
Administrative Assistant
Executive Office, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall, FileMaker has made our business run much more smoothly. We are converting all of our old paper records to electronic, and this software helps us keep track of everything.

Pros: We're using this software to create a database with 50+ years of grant history. FileMaker has totally changed the way we do business! I love that it is able to perform time saving tasks such as, creating personalized letters, emails and reports. I love that It easily stores and organizes all of our old records, giving us the paper free office we've been yearning for.

Cons: -We use FileMaker to issue random passwords and various types of access- it regularly bugs out and occasionally needs restarted in order for access changes to be reflected. -I dislike that it is not user friendly for most average people. (We have a IT company who is creating our database)

FileMaker solved many problems with our production workflow

Reviewed on 05/02/2019
Senior Designer & Photographer
Design, 501-1,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We solved workflow problems with our business. Now all stakeholders can view the status of any project, and be alerted of changes. Requests (job tickets) are easy to manage and assign to a lead. Searching for past projects is now a click away, versus our exceedingly large Excel sheets from the past.

Pros: I find the customization of FileMaker to be the key to its success. With some software development knowledge, I can set it up how I'd like it and maintain it for a low overall cost. In my company we specifically used a FileMaker development company to build out our custom system, which cut all the paper out of our workflow, and cut out unnecessary data re-entry. A huge time saver.

Cons: If you have no developing knowledge, you may be left to use an out of the box solution, which might not be exactly applicable to your situation. Also, it seems like it is difficult to do certain email things on Mac with Outlook. Things like click-through links back to the FileMaker system from an email notification.

The best solution to do application.

Reviewed on 18/09/2019
Filemaker Developer
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Filemaker helps the developer to create applications more easily, in addition, for the client it is cheaper if the application is developed in less time. The Filemaker interface makes designing and organizing easier and we can create designs more quickly.

Pros: Easy do applications and understand the application.
Easy interface to work.
Share a database between different users.
Strong security.
Multiplatform, you can develop in Windows, Mac, Web and smartphone.
Very customizable layouts, scripts and database.

Cons: Limited on some occasions.
If your solution is very simple, is possible that Filemaker is not a platform for you.