15 years helping British businesses

About Joomla

CMS designed to help both novice users and expert developers to build websites and applications.

Learn more about Joomla

Pros:

It connects with MySQL so that your data will be saved to backend. Joomla is a php framework and we can use this framework to design api's also.

Cons:

Few years back the community stop updating this CMS and it stayed on Version 1.5 for a very long period of time.

Joomla ratings

3.7
3.8
4.1
4.3

7.3/10

Joomla has an overall rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars based on 613 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Joomla before?

Emeka
Emeka
Digital Marketing Trainer in Nigeria

A Content Management System for building websites

Comments: I used Joomla to build my website. It was relatively easy to get started with. Joomla works with extensions and templates which allows them to be easily customisable. Joomla saved me the cost of having to outsource my website design to a website developer.

Pros:

Joomla is a Content Management System (CMS) that can be used to build websites. The things I like about Joomla are: 1. Ability to build a website with no technical knowledge required: The first time I worked on Joomla, I didn't know how to write the programming languages on which Joomla was built, but I was still able to build a website with it using available Joomla templates and extensions. 2. Easy learning curve: I learnt everything I needed to get started with Joomla, and also built my first Joomla website in one day. There are available YouTube tutorials, and plog posts on the internet that can help one to get going with Joomla. 3. Free domain name and hosting: Joomla provides users the option of using Joomla customised domain names for their websites, and also provides them with free hosting. I leveraged Joomla's free domain name and free hosting to build my first Joomla website. 4. Easy to customise: Joomla is very easy to customise. Joomla works with templates and extensions. The templates helps someone to decide how his/her Joomla website will look like, while the extension helps someone to add some functionalities to his/her website. 5. Security: Joomla constantly updates their CMS to provide security patches, and also to keep it from the attack of viruses. This increases the level of confidence with Joomla.

Cons:

Joomla is an awesome CMS, but that is not without its cons. The cons of Joomla are: 1. Despite the fact that Joomla is easy to learn, it's learning curve is more complex than that of other CMSs like WordPress, Wix, and Weebly. 2. Poor layout: For me, the outlook of a website designed with Joomla seems to be less elegant than that designed with other CMSs like WordPress and Wix. These are the two cons I can point out with Joomla.

Ali
Ali
Information Technology Adviser in Azerbaijan

Flexible and SEO friendly Content Management System

Comments: I have been working with Joomla CMS for many years and it is one of the strongest and oldest free and open source CMS in the world and it is one of the best in terms of security, technology and simplicity and I’ve use Joomla for some website cases that have special features.

Pros:

It's open source and free! It supported by volunteer community for many years and it's free forever.

Cons:

Joomla template design could be more beautiful and with more features. In appearance, it has fewer molds than other competitors and should invest more in the appearance and design of the UI.

Giacomo
Communications Manager in US
Facilities Services, 1,001–5,000 Employees

A Reliable Content Management System

5.0 last month New

Pros:

The capabilities of Joomla are excellent. It has been so reliable and easy to implement.

Cons:

Joomla is flawless. I like how effective Joomla has been.

Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Use Joomla if you like structured and guided onboarding

Comments: Joomla has quite alot of features out of the box so you can get started quickly without worrying about installing additional add-ons.

Pros:

I've used Joomla from time to time, when I have no say over what CMS to use. It's fairly popular in the early 2010s. The fact that it is still around now, though it's market share has been dwindling over the decade, shows that there is still value. I love how the setup process and admin panel are so structured and guided. So it is really easy to get started with zero knowledge. The menus are all well categorised and labelled properly so you know where to find what. You won't get lost: system, users, content, etc. Just click on every single category and page, and your website will be done in no time.

Cons:

The actual website layout is pretty boring and lacks creativity so it may not be suitable for all kinds of website. However, if content is more important than aesthetics or presentation for you, then Joomla may be what you're looking for. People say there is a steep learning curve, it does take awhile. Funny thing is, if you're IT saavy or know some basic coding, I find I take longer to customise Joomla than its competitors. But if you're not so good at computers, then use Joomla.

Pedro
Pedro
CEO in Portugal
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Seems to have stoped in time

Pros:

Up to 12 years ago I used Joomla a lot for many websites and back then it was very intuitive, easy to use and fairly complete, compared to what competitors offered

Cons:

Nowadays this seems to have droped a lot in quality, functionality, simplicity, easy of use, etc. Other platforms have grown a lot better like WordPress, Prestashop among others, and Joomla simply seem to have lots the magic that once had

Matt
Self-employed in Germany
Program Development, Self Employed

Joomla - the perfect way to start with your website

Comments: After using Joomla since 15 years I really must say: This is a great way to start your own website! It's easy to install, especially since many webhosts offer an installer to setup the basic installation without any knowledge of databases etc. You can easily customize the basic website with thousands of extensions and themes so it fits your needs perfectly. For all kind of simple websites, this is surely one of the best options and you always find some people to help in one of the many support channels.

Pros:

The easy startup and the easy integration of external software makes it perfectly for starters. Also the clean seperation of backend and frontend makes it easier to understand. Me in person, I use Joomla for more then 10 websites and it's definitly my No. 1 for easy small websites.

Cons:

Joomla serves well for easy websites. However, for large scale, it carries a heavy overload which might make bigger websites (several thousand visitors daily) slow. Also sometimes it's a risk to take third party extensions since you never know how good they're maintained, but that's the risk for all software packages :D

Hugo
Hugo
QA Manager in Mexico
Information Technology & Services, 501–1,000 Employees

Joomla a tool for intermediate website management

Comments: Joomla has helped us to rapidly create plain websites, informative websites in a real quick way.
Joomla allows us to have blogs that are shareable and easy to use across collaborators
This option offers flexibility and is user-friendly for those that are not experts in coding.

Pros:

Joomla is a cool tool for beginners but also for intermediate users. What I liked more was. - The correct division of the elements available for manipulation (components, modules, templates) - The UI is good and allows you a friendly usability

Cons:

Joomla could consider being more flexible when an upgrade is required. I understand there are some dependencies on the versions of external software like PHP or MySQL, but the support sometimes is not clear and has generated some users to leave Joomla and look for other opportunities.

Mark
Mark
Senior Administrator in UK
Higher Education, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Still my favourite CMS

Comments: Developed three major websites on it and supported two others. Always found it a pleasure to work with, with most functions supported out of the box and easy to hack if it needed to be extended or customised under the surface.

Pros:

Incredibly powerful and extensible, and easy to hack into almost any configuration. Great support from the community and developer.

Cons:

Really not much - I wish I had a reason to use it more often! It's often hard to sell clients on Joomla vs something like Wordpress which they recognise more.

Younes
Younes
Web administrator in UK
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

CMS tool that value your needs with free costs

Comments: I'm currently using Joomla for my company main website,

Pros:

With Joomla, it's easier to build a website with no complications, an advanced web builder that simplifies the building task.

Cons:

The main issue I faced with Joomla was the integration with a local payment gate solution, it was hard for me since my programming skills are limited.

Solai
Content Writer and Web Designer in Kenya
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Solid platform for building website and managing web content

Comments: We often use Joomla to build and customize websites for our clients. The platform provides everything you need to create a professional website with minimal effort. The template and plugin libraries are extensive, making it easy to tailor the website to meet our clients' needs. It also complements your SEO efforts by providing the appropriate web layout, managing keywords, adding meta tags, and linking to social media platforms.

Pros:

Joomla has a clean dashboard that you can navigate easily when creating, editing, or publishing content. It allows you to create a website that serves your needs using ready templates and plugins. Since Joomla has many free templates, you can create a customized website, online shop, or blog without spending money or time on the project. I also appreciate that you can change the language on Joomla, though I have never used another language.

Cons:

Although Joomla is user-friendly and fairly easy to use, someone who has never built a website will likely experience challenges especially when choosing and installing templates and extensions. This simply means you need some training or build a few websites to enhance your skills. We sometimes experience compatibility issues when installing some plugins. I'd say it is ideal for small and medium websites without complex features.

Stacy
Lead in US
Events Services, 11–50 Employees

A little work goes a long way!

Comments: I was a faithful user of Joomla for 8 to 10 years. I actually got very good at working within the CMS. Once you learn how it all fits together, it can be a productive CMS, but it's simply not as easy as Wordpress. Wordpress is much less complicated and can do what Joomla does.

Pros:

Joomla was the very first CMS I ever used. Being open source doesn't hurt, as it's always updating and evolving. The biggest pro for this product is that you have an enormous extensions catalog, both free and paid, which means you can create a one of a kind website.

Cons:

For me the same thing that makes it great, is also the same thing that makes it less great. With Joomla being updated quite often, it happens often when extensions fail to update as quickly as the CMS itself, which renders them inactive until updated. Plus, there is a learning curve to working with Joomla, and it doesn't take long to forget which extension controls what element of the site.

Brendt
Distribution Manager in Canada
Wholesale, 11–50 Employees

Love the Joomla!

Comments: Very good system - combines ease of use with a very professional look and feel to the end user experience.

Pros:

I have been using this platform for many years and it is the easiest to use CMS system I have had the chance to try. Great template selections from many outlets and the Open Source aspect makes looking for tweaks easy.

Cons:

There are constant security updates that you need to be on top of and keeping the version current can be challenging with keeping certain Modules working properly - not a problem if you read up before making the updates.

José Miguel
Owner in Chile
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

A classic and still alive CMS

Comments: Joomla is an excellent solution for any small or big business that needs a dynamic and scalable website. In my case, I don`t use Joomla when I need e-commerce, but that doesn't mean you can`t have a Joomla e-commerce, is just my personal preference. If you are looking for an easy-to-install and manage CMS, just give Joomla a try; you will surely use it in more than one project when you start with the learning curve. Like all the CMS, if you want something simple, is almost an out-of-the-box solution, but you will need to advance some more knowledge to use Joomla successfully.

Pros:

Joomla is one of my two favorites CMS. It`s an easy-to-use content management solution for any size of business.It is a robust solution for any business that needs a scalable solution even if they are thinking on e-commerce. One of the pros of Joomla is its big community; anyone can learn and create a solution adapted for their business by looking in the big sea of free material you can find on the internet.

Cons:

Like any other popular CMS, security is a big problem. You will have many attempts of brute attacks and use of the known vulnerabilities (is open source). Of course, this problem can be handled using one or more of the many components you can find for free or purchased in their extensive extensions library.

Design, Self Employed

Joomla is a great cms alternative to Wordpress

Comments: I’ve used it for years with great results for myself and clients. I feel that my joomla sites have been more easy to update and more stable than the Wordpress ones as the years have went by. I’d much more rather troubleshoot a joomla error than a Wordpress one :) any day

Pros:

I love Joomlas structure both from a content editors perspective and a coders perspective. Joomla is setup out of the box to handle and organize large amounts of content and is seo friendly. It’s templating system is easy to work with and makes it so much easier for designers and users. It’s admin is customizable and is logical. I’ve tried to love Wordpress but find myself always going back to joomla. In so many ways it’s core features and overall structure is just more logical to me and cleaner. Many times there isn’t a need for plugins cause the core will do most things which helps later on with site migrations and upgrades. With either Wordpress or joomla of one finds themselves needing super advanced feature sets such as for e-commerce or other things then I’d recommend looking into a customized saas service since they will be a lot more stable and better in the long term for maintenance and security. But for content sites and most business applications I love joomla over most other cms choices. The latest versions of joomla have also added nice core features making it extensible in a myriad of ways. As a non coder by trade I was able to learn joomla well and customize things myself since they are laid out more logically,

Cons:

I think akeeba backup should partner with joomla and make akeeba a core feature of the cms :) but it’s still easy to install myself and run backups :) so no problem.

Alan
Web Designer in US
Government Administration, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Amazing CMS for larger government websites

Comments: I've had a great experience with Joomla as it has a huge number of extensions, particles, and templates to help you get the perfect results for a refined and highly functional website.

Pros:

We use Joomla for our County websites that serve 1 million plus customers. We have a number of staff editors that maintain their specialized content for our 3 local government websites here in Southern California. When working with Joomla, a good template developer is essential and it's important to use a good hosting company for ease of installation and maintenance. We use InspireThemes for our templates and SiteGround as our hosting company. This is a terrific combination as these vendors provide excellent products and superior support. Joomla is a fantastic CMS for our needs as it provides stability, powerful extensions, room for expansion, and ease of use.

Cons:

I would strongly advise anyone wanting to use Joomla to start with a Quickstart template with a strong framework built in, like Gantry5 framework. The Quickstart templates save development time and frustration. You can easily install a fresh template in a matter of minutes and then choose your features and away you go! But use a reliable template developer and a customer service oriented hosting company - VERY IMPORTANT!

Information Technology & Services, 1,001–5,000 Employees

I will keep using Joomla and can't recommend enough

Comments: I was able to collaborate on design changes to our corporate website with my fellow designers and developers, and overall the experience of editing, designing, previewing, and publishing content was at first a little time consuming to follow all the steps, but eventually was so easy to follow time and time again. It is a tool that myself and my colleagues continue to turn to when we have web development tasks that need to be completed and with new features continuing to be pushed out, it's never been a better time to learn how to use and train others on the program as well.

Pros:

I found Joomla to be a great tool that was used as the back end engine of our customer facing website. As someone with some technical skills, I was able to learn how to use the editing tools pretty quickly, I learned how to be a user administrator and set up permissions for our customer portal to allow ease of access for customer materials - the overall set up of these features was a very stress free process.

Cons:

Depending on how you've decided to use this content management tool, the process of upgrading certain features and customizing the back end user interface can be challenging when the needs arise. I find the normal challenges that I've found with similar content management tools, however there is little that I dislike from a back end user perspective.

Paul
Manager in Japan
Education Management, 2–10 Employees

Create You Own Responsive Website

Comments: I have used Joomla since it's 1.5 version (it's just about to enter v.4 at the time of writing) so there must be something good about it!! I've used it for a web based book rental service (modifying an online store component), for a school's and cafe's general website (the ability to create custom made forms, with back-end functions is a huge plus. Recently I have used it to set up a fully responsive online store where the functuality we needed was not available on out-of-the-box platforms.

Pros:

Some of things I like about Joomla are, it gives you a lot of freedom to create your own website, with the features and styling you want, or need! Also, there are loads of extensions on the JED (Joomla Extension Directory) so if you want your website to preform a certain function...somebody has probably already built an extension for that. Many of these aforementioned extensions, are either free or low cost. There is also the satisfaction of building your own unique website and knowing that it will be fully responsive accross all devices.

Cons:

The learning curve is a little steep. While setting up Joomla is relatively easy, getting that polished look of professional sites can take some fiddling, delving into code and tweaking certain parameters etc..

Andrés E.
Andrés E.
Analista sénior in Venezuela
Telecommunications, 51–200 Employees

Organizing and showing content can be very easy

Comments: Joomla, for those who have not tried it, do it could be here an opportunity to create a blo or even a corporate website, in addition ... it's free

Pros:

I have been working in the area of ​​electronic media for at least 6 years and, truth be told, I have walked through several CMS. This one in particular, has called my attention for several things. In principle, the posivilidad develop web pages that are shown with dynamic and interactive content. Nowadays it is a very important point. Another interesting aspect is that it is written in PHP, a language that many IT people in the world, handle quite well. In relation to my work, it is tremendous because it facilitates the updating of the site very easily. Task that I must do several times a day. I think it's an excellent work tool, very intuitive.

Cons:

Even though I mentioned that it is intuitive, I think that the person who is going to interact with this or any other CMS must perform some kind of course to handle it easily. Another element to consider, is SEO. I think it can be improved. Currently, other CMS have better benefits in that regard. Mind you, I'm not saying it's bad, only that it can be improved.

Mudssar
Mudssar
Asst. Manager Porecuremet in Pakistan
Consumer Electronics, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Web Design and Web applications with Joomla

Comments: Overall found fit for large company becuase they needs more data volume and handel query accordingly, unlike other CMSs it has more controllability.
Found perfect for ecommerece and payments.
Invoicing/ERPs/even special purpose plugins commonly available free and some paid.
it can be perfect online business suit with some customization and devolpment.
Even some hardwares can also be integerated with it which will works with APIs accordingly.

Pros:

CMS, a complete web package with more secured and controlled enviroment, due to devolpment documentation and customization is much easier, plugins are available for additonal functionalities. Easy installation, effective usgae in SEO and social media marketing More secured than other CMS. Support and can handel large web data traffic so can be used for large and small companies aswell as social media plateform like discussion forums etc.

Cons:

Due to security it is more complexive, UI is difficult to trace any feature. Many plugins are counterfit with joomla in many functions.

Alberto
Alberto
System Engineer in Ecuador
Hospital & Health Care, 501–1,000 Employees

Best CMS to make your own web page.

Comments: I use it daily, for my client's web pages, webs like ecua-americanlab.com, https://www.ccemipol.com/web/ and many others since 2012, by now the latest version is 3.9.4

Pros:

It is free, you can pay for templates if you want but is not necessary because you can find a lot of free templates on internet that can help you to build a great landing page or a complete web page, once you learn how to use it, you will be able to build lots of webpages for your friends or clients, you can make a web un 2 hours or less (It will depend on your abilities) but for somebody who don't know anything of this CMS and start as beginner, can use it with demos and tutorials in 2 weeks easily.

Cons:

1 It is not the best option if you want to create a professional blog. 2 It is so popular and for that reason, there are more probabilities to be attacked by hackers. 3 There are a lot of functionalities in the main administrative panel, but that could confuse a people that will begin to learn how to use it, and most part of this will not be used for the common user.

Annam
Annam
Business Coordinator in United Arab Emirates
Insurance, 51–200 Employees

The best and Awesome Content Management System

Comments: My overall experience with Joomla is really nice, awesome and incredible. I have designed a number of websites using this unique content managment system. The software has helped me to build mobile friendly websites using different templates. I have also designed a few blogs with Joomla. For me, Joomla is very important regarding the web development. Because I can design professional websites without the coding. I have also done on page optimization using the different extensions of Joomla in my websites.

Pros:

Joomla is one of the best software for the website creators. The dashboard of Joomla is really easy to understand and use. There are lots of free extensions and templates you can use in Joomla. Templates can give a professional look to your website. Joomla is Search Engine Friendly so the all pages links of your website can index in the search engine very fast. You can easily create meta title and description of your article and pages. So if you want to build your website without the knowledge of programming languages then Joomla is good for this purpose.

Cons:

There are few paid extensions or there are a number of extensions, that doesn't offer full features to the beginner users. I think so these extensions should offer more features to the free users so they can also implement more good things in the websites. I really like the all other features and functions of Joomla.

James
James
IT Manager / Web Development Manager in US
Oil & Energy, 11–50 Employees

Love and Obsession

Pros:

What an I say, this is my addiction! Seriously, I have been using Joomla! for approximately 14 years and have nothing but good things to say about it. First and foremost it is Free and Open Source giving developers an edge when creating Dynamic Websites. Secondly the development team and community behind Joomla! are hands down the best groups of people. Third, the 3rd Party Developer support for Joomla! is excellent with the Extension Directory providing more than 10,000 current integrations and enhancements. Lastly, the ease of use and end user learning is the simpelest compared to other CMS like Wordpress and Drupal. Our end user adoption of Joomla! is 500% faster than any other with less customer call backs than the others. This is great for customers and makes new business generate faster by word of mouth.

Cons:

Nothing bad to say, one of the best things that has happened to me and my compay.

Bill Laurel
Bill Laurel
Programmer in France
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Joomla review

Pros:

Joomla is an excellent open source content management system that is perfect for creating websites, blogs, and online stores. It is simple to use, has a vast selection of features, and is highly customizable, making it very flexible. You can use it to build any sort of website, from a small personal blog to a large corporate website. It is also very extensible, offering hundreds of third-party extensions that can be used to add further features.

Cons:

Joomla has some disadvantages, such as difficulty in modification and extension, especially for those with limited knowledge in coding. It can also be slow and resource-intensive, particularly on shared hosting plans. Additionally, there is an absence of modern visual design elements, as well as incompatibility with more recent technologies like HTML5 and CSS3.

Nairoby
Nairoby
Consultor in Venezuela
Telecommunications, 5,001–10,000 Employees

An easy to use and understand handler

Comments: For developers I recommend Joomla

Pros:

Joomla is free software therefore we can review it from head to foot without problem and adapt it to our needs, for this we must have knowledge in php and database, depending on the level of knowledge and the ability to understand foreign source code, you can achieve wonders with Joomla. My beginnings with Joomla were with version 1.7 and migrating it to 2.5 was quite tedious, so much was the impact that I decided to forget about the previous version and start a new website, which was a boost perfect to update the design, select a good template and modify it as required;later the migration of 2.5 to 3 following the tutorial of the official page was much more Simple and fast, I had no problems with the database. Joomla allows the installation of infinities of modules, plugins and extensions that facilitate the work and allow to diversify the page, making it attractive, has extesiones for the management of the security to avoid hacking; changing the language for me was fundamental. There is a large community to find information about Joomla.In terms of user management and administration, it is very broad, with profiles and groups an important level of security is maintained The way to classify the articles by categories, allows you to have an organized and clean website.

Cons:

- If it's a blog what you need to do, I do not recommend using Joomla - Some plugins or modules can be security holes. - Also some plugins or modules offer features that you only get if you pay, of course this does not depend directly on Joomla but on the developers of each module, but it can be frustrating when you want to add functionality and you can not pay it.

Jacob
Jacob
Computer Programmer in US
Telecommunications, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Option to consider for the creation of Website

Comments: My experience with Joomla has been regular, I have used it for certain projects of websites, but the truth is that the result has not been as I have expected and as much as I have tried to achieve it becomes uphill due to the same limitations that this manager has. content, I feel it is an option to consider but as long as they take into consideration the others that exist in the market and know their benefits and their disadvantages.

Pros:

The things that I like most about Joomla is that it is open source, therefore any one can code freely, there is also a large library of plugis that solve problems and the possibility of working with already designed templates, whether they are paid or free.

Cons:

Joomla has some things that I do not like and is that it stays behind its competitors, the benefits it has are very simple compared to other content managers, basically its main use is only for websites that are blogs, and so So much is short when it comes to talking about e-commerce sites, the configuration of SEO or positioning is more complicated and less effective than its competitors and besides them it is more complex to use than others with which better results are achieved. It is also good to clarify that in my opinion the library of both paid and free templates are very basic in comparison to the class of websites that we see today.