NAKIVO Backup & Replication Reviews

4.8 (254) Write a Review!

About NAKIVO Backup & Replication

NAKIVO Backup & Replication is a reliable and affordable data protection solution for virtual, physical, cloud and SaaS environments.

Learn more about NAKIVO Backup & Replication

Pros:

It runs on NAS devices (Synology ), the installations was very fast and the job configuration is very ease. Reporting, creating jobs etc. is easy and without the need for complex configurations.

NAKIVO Backup & Replication ratings

4.8
4.8
4.7
4.7

9.4/10

NAKIVO Backup & Replication has an overall rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars based on 254 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used NAKIVO Backup & Replication before?

Managing Director in UK

A beautifully engineered solution that doesn't assume everyone uses Windows

Comments: It's as close to bullet proof as we've seen. Our backups run nightly and on the occasion when we need to restore, there are some very flexible ways of getting either individual files, VMDKs or entire VMs out the other end. We have yet to try out the non-VM backup but we suspect that at some point we will throw that out and move it all to Nakivo.

Pros:

It's an elegant combination of Java and Linux with a straightforward web-based interface and it never lets us down. We feel completely comfortable with Nakivo protecting our backups and best of all, it means we don't have to install a load of Windows-based systems that we don't want or need just to run it.

Cons:

It's not cheap. It does work out slightly more cost effective than Veeam, and the saving of effort and hassle of it being Linux-based was enough justification for us to buy it in the end.

Tj
Systems Administrator in Australia

Backup Made easy - reliable - fast

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: 1. Easy to use
2. Reliable
3. it works 100%

Pros:

It's easy to deploy, easy to setup. It works 100% it's reliable and easy to work with. the front end dashboard is easy to navigate and there is nothing complicated about the software at all. strait forward.

Cons:

Too many updates, but that probably the way they keep their software easy to use.

Giordano
IT Manager in Italy

Nakivo

Pros:

I use Nakivo to backup AWS istances from a region to another and works very well. It is easy to use and configure.

Cons:

Enable the possibility to restore guest file from a replicated istances to restore file deleted or damage

Harald
Harald
CTO in Austria

Successful Backups for 8 years

Comments: We are using NAKIO for about 8 years now for internally and for our customers.
The product has evolved over time from a cheap and simple VMware backup solution to a backup suite providing a lot of options and features.
We have successfully deployed instances of VMware backup, replication, WAN replication, O365 backup, physical workstation backup, replication to amazon and multi-tenancy.

Pros:

They provide great support. Over time when we had issues they always went out of their way to provide satisfactory solutions. It is very easy to setup and use regardless of the size of installation. They still provide an affordable product and I believe you definitely will get your money's worth. There is a lot of active development and not only toward new features, but also in improving stability and performance. They try to get feedback from their userbase when planning for new features.

Cons:

We have had problems with file level recovery on large (>1 TB) XFS file systems. Space reclaim of backup repositories is slow, but has been improved recently.

Lester
Lester
Administrator IT Infraestructure in Nicaragua
Tobacco, 201-500 Employees

NAKIVO the answer to guarantee the continuity of your business always

5.0 last month New

Comments: Unique experience and the response we are looking for to guarantee the company's operability

Pros:

The versatility that it allows to create replicas of automated backups in a full and incremental way allows our organization to have a backup and allow business continuity.

Cons:

There is no support in Spanish for Latin America

greg
IT Manager in UK
Food Production, 51-200 Employees

10 years in and still the best VM backup and Replication we can find

5.0 last month New

Comments: From looking at hours to restore some critical servers I an now only looking at minutes to restore these servers and have data in some instances only a couple of minutes behind the original.
You have to hand it to these people on multiple levels for their software and its features to ease of use and their support and updates are second to none.
In the last couple of years I have pushed NAKIVO to many other people and not one of them has said anything different from myself since implementing their solution.

Pros:

This software is so easy to install, setup and use. We were up and running within 30 minutes of getting the software.

Cons:

There is nothing not to like it just works.

Joerg
PM in Germany
Machinery, 11-50 Employees

Good and intuitive procduct

4.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: We are using Nakivo B&R for our new server with quite a number of virtual machines (VM Ware). Backup of data is onto a Synology via 10GB/s. The backup makes use of all available network speed.
Once you understand how it works, its configuration is straight forward. Whenever we experienced some issues, Nakivo Service was very helpful (GoTo meeting) and pretty fast (next day at the latest). So far no complaints on their repsonse.

Pros:

Quite intuitive. Comparably fast backup. Price / performance value is good. Good service.

Cons:

USB rotation (to external harddrives) definitely needs improvement. Licensing scheme is a bit hard to understand at first glance ... but their sales will help you ;-) A little bit of too aggressive marketing (less would be better).

IT Administrator in US
Executive Office, 51-200 Employees

Very reliable and easy to setup!

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: I looked at Nakivo initially as a supplemental backup solution, to go along side of our main solution.
After the easy installation and ease of use, we have now shifted ideas and use Nakivo as primary backup for our NYC office.
Setup overall was very easy, and the few issues I did have were quickly resolved by Nakivo support.
They even remotely connected to assist, which did make everything easier.
I would recommend this service to anyone in need of on prem or cloud backups.

Pros:

This software was very easy to setup, and its very reliable once you get the jobs created. I havent had a single issue yet for any of my servers.

Cons:

No cons as of yet! I did run into one slight issue with restores, but their support helped my very quickly!

Mark
IT Engineer in United Arab Emirates
Environmental Services, 501-1,000 Employees

Awesome Product

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: NAKIVO suites our needs for easy back-up management for a reasonable price and it is highly recommended for SME business that looks value for money.

Pros:

Works well with QNAP and SYNOLOGY. NAKIVO suites our needs for easy back-up management for a reasonable price and it is highly recommended for SME business that looks value for money.

Cons:

We don't see down side yet. And we hope that it will always be that way for long time.

Mike
Managing Director in UK
Furniture, 51-200 Employees

Very Happy Long Term User of Nakivo

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Very easy to use and maintain. We will likely remain loyal customers for a long time!

Cons:

Automatic update functionality would be handy. Take away the need to download manually and install through the console.

Sergio
Manager in Portugal

Simple very stable and with the best support on the market.

Comments: Police base jobs permit that you never left a VM without backups, the software its so stable that its save me alot of hour validating backups and correct problems. Its a 2 minutes check now.

Pros:

Its fire and forget. For long time I used other hyper-v backup solutions and the stability of the backup always was an issue, every weeks I needed hours to validate and correct problems, now I just spend 5 minutos to see that everything happen as supposed. With Nakivo its always fire and forget. No strange errors, you configure once and its done. The policy backup its great, you can create a policy with rules and when you create a new machine in the hypervisor a few minutes later its inside the backup job automatically.

Cons:

The software its almost prefect, the only think that should be improved is the logging visibility.

Paul
Paul
Technical Manager in United Arab Emirates

Not Rolls Royce but probably Mercedes...

Comments: Cheaper than Veeam, better than some other options. The proof is in the recovery! It's more focussed on VMWare than Hyper-V but support for Hyper-V is acceptable. Just be sure you are familiar with the features that are and are not supported for the platform you wish to protect before proceeding. The licensing is quite flexible too, with perpetual and subscription licenses. The cost comparison between licensing the CPU sockets in a hypervisor vs the annual subscription to protect the virtual machines is one part of how you'd decide which type to choose. Support is mostly responsive and at least half my questions are answered accurately in the first or second interaction. When issues are escalated to higher tiers it takes a little longer, but I have had success with remote sessions and VoIP calls with their engineers who are refreshingly knowledgeable on the various operating systems I've had their product installed on, and were more than willing to go beyond their minimum scope of supporting only the Nakivo product.

Pros:

Easy to set up and get running. Flexible deployment, with the full solution (i.e. the "brain") running directly on supported NAS hardware, Linux OS, physical or virtual machines. Getting help is as easy as clicking "Request Support" on an error message in the WebUI. A support bundle is created and sent to Nakivo and you very quickly receive an email with a case number, followed by responses from real people.

Cons:

Better error messages would be nice - they don't always make sense. The "brain", which is the Director component, can only exist in one place in a distributed deployment with different locations. This means that a remote site will not back up if there is a connectivity issue between sites and the Director cannot see the transporter and repositories at the remote site.

Director in UK
Real Estate, 2-10 Employees

Fast backup and clean, easy interface

Comments: Having previously used Unitrends, when that crashed unrecoverably a few months ago, their support weren't willing to provide any help so I looked around for alternatives. As we use a Synology NAS, I found Nakivo would run native on that, allowing me to remove the bloated Unitrends server from our ESXi host. Unfortunately with the very limited memory in our Synology it rather struggled once Nakivo was installed so we ended up adding the Nakivo VM to our ESXi host which runs like a dream. The Nakivo web interface is MUCH simpler than Unitrends. At first I was worried it wouldn't do what I wanted in terms of setting up daily backups, retaining weekly backups for a month, monthly backups for a year and replicating everything to an off-site archive for additional security. It took a while to get my head around how simple the interface was compared to Unitrends but then it was easy to set up the schedule and replication I needed. It felt too simple so I was a little concerned whether it would actually do it but having been using it for many months now and having done test restores from both the live backup repository and the archive repository I'm fully confident it's doing what it should. The most positive benefit however is the speed of backup. Our weekly full backup used to take 4 hours using Unitrends, now it takes under an hour on exactly the same hardware! Similarly the daily incremental used to take 30 minutes now it takes about 6 minutes.

Pros:

Fast backup Good compression Easy to setup and manage

Cons:

The free version is only free for a year

Enterprise Solutions Architect in US
Human Resources, 201-500 Employees

Nakivo "The backbone to our virtualization infrastructure DR+BC Playbook.

Comments: From sales to support, the attention has been top-notch. Very attentive and quick to respond with quotes and resolutions. The application performance has exceeded our previous backup systems.

Pros:

Rapid deployment: We use Synology NAS devices for backups. The ability to deploy the app directly on the NAS itself was a big win for us. We reduced the load on our hypervisors and have everything needed for recovery on one device.

Cons:

A web UI refresh would be nice but that is just a matter of personal preference. A mobile app would be great.

Gregory
System Administrator in New Caledonia
Security & Investigations, 11-50 Employees

An amazing backup solution

Comments: This software allow us to backup our VM and Office 365 data quickly and with reliability. We also sue the replication feature. The best thing, however, is that you can boot from backup directly.

Pros:

Possibility to install it Linux, saving Windows licensing cost. Also, the hot add method to backup is quite fast.

Cons:

You need to read the documentation beforehand. Once you know how to do things, it's ok.

Julien
CEO in Belgium
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Powerful products and easy to use

Comments: I have been using the Nakivo product for almost 3 Years now I used the VM recovery and also the file recovery in VM, it has always been easy to use.
I also had 2 times needed to contact their support and my problems were solved quickly

Pros:

Backup of entire VM and also granularity as you can restore only 1 single file from the VM

Cons:

From now I don't really miss anything with this product

IT Administrator in Germany
Legal Services, 2-10 Employees

Simple and easy to use backup solution

Comments: We made excellent experiences with the software and had to recover twice since introduction of the packages. Nakivo did the job just fine and letter let us down. Great package for the money asked for!

Pros:

Installation as well as updating is simple and straightforward. The web interface allows simple access to all functions. Backup and Restore works like a charm and the messaging in case of failures makes checking status a breeze. I like the excellent rates for data compression allowing to use backup repository far beyond actual capacity.

Cons:

Weird product policy for features in the different versions of the package - We are working with edition "Essentials Pro", which does all it needs to do, but the calendar view is disabled. Absolutely understand, that functions are limited to higher editions of package, but a calendar view of your jobs?!

Luca
System Enineering in Switzerland
Accounting, 11-50 Employees

NAKIVO Backup & Replication

Pros:

It's great to see with a quick glance if any backup jobs have had an errors, any that have failed, r even ones that have completed successfully. We are yet to run into any issues with corrupt backups, or any issues whatsoever with recovering a file, a folder, or even an entire system.

Cons:

The best feature in my opinion is the fact that Nakivo seems to handle an operating system, as well as any virtual desktops or servers whether vmWare or HyperV without so much as a hiccup. The fact that you can delve so much further into specific backups such as SQL servers / 0365 , where you can recover right down to the info your missing as opposed to entire databases is also a great feature.

Milos
IT Infrastructure Architect in Serbia

Reliable Backup Solution

Comments: Nakivo platform is one stop shop for all of our backup and DR needs.

Pros:

Over the course of 3 years Nakivo proved to be an excellent choice for our backup and disaster recovery needs. After the initial setup the interface was very easy to use, had a logical layout and order of steps when performing various activities. Level of integration with major hypervisors is great. Network acceleration helps a lot when performing backups over slower WAN links. Multi-tenant platform in combination with per VM licensing model presents great sales opportunity for service providers offering DR solutions.

Cons:

Introduction of support for the latest releases of hypervisors takes too long.

Adminitrator in US
Medical Practice, 11-50 Employees

Backup made easy

Comments: Overall my experience has been great and when I do have a problem their support is there to immediately help solve the problem.

Pros:

The software ease of use is what really sold me on Nakivo. From day one it was easy to setup and within a few minutes I was backing up my first Esxi server. The VM replication is fast and I love the screenshot verification. Restoring a backup is just as easy and I've never had a backup restore job fail.

Cons:

Overall the software is as perfect as you can get. Its allows me to confidently backup my servers with no issues.

Steve
IT Systems Analyst in Canada

Nakivo Is Amazing

Comments: 10/10, i'd highly recommend this app to all that require a backup service that is reliable, easy to use, easy to troubleshoot & most importantly quick & smart.

Pros:

The best thing about this software is the ease of use and peace of mind. You can schedule backups very easily, Everything runs fast & smooth, Its been running here for over 3 years without a single problem. Updates are pushed easily, Verification of backups is also amazing. And the best part is it intigrates with Hyper V and when restoring a backup of a virtual machine it automatically imports it into hyper V and everything works perfectly. Windows Server Backup utility is unreliable compared to this.

Cons:

One of the things i liked least about this software is when an update was pushed one of the servers we had didnt receive the update and needed some quick troubleshooting, but their customer service team was able to help out within the hour and was amazing and very helpful from the first reply.

Nadir
CEO in Italy

The best choice

Pros:

This software is easy to setup and use. The price is competitive and can be afforded also in very little company or offices (SOHO) assuring security at low cost. The availability of the transporter module with most of NAS system (also SOHO) let the company work also with low cost devices. The option to have a flash VM boot reduces the RTO and the forever incremental backups (very fast) reduces the RPO.

Cons:

No availability for Citrix XEN and a full screen interface (the calendar would be more readable).

Clyde
Owner in South Africa

Nakivo Backup & Replication review

Comments: Overall it solve the needs of general backup and ransomware protection for VM's and physical machines

Pros:

The software is very easy to install and to use. It allows for a comprehensive overview and management of an organisations backups for on premise and cloud backups. One application covers Virtual and Physical backup needs

Cons:

The Linux implementation is difficult to complete.

Robert
Head of consulting in Germany

Perfect backup for small and mid-sized business

Comments: Nakivo is simply the best solution for our customers. Of course there are other products out there with more features, but we really don't need them.
Pricing and feature set are exactly right for our small and mid-sized customers.
For the future we hope, that Nakivo will continue this,

Pros:

Easy to deploy software, which is suitable for all of our customers. We like the possibility to run it as a downloadable virtual appliance. So, we always have it running in a few minutes. Starting as a solution for backing up virtual infrastructures (vSphere / Hyper-V), it becomes more and more feature complete. Today it has all featured we need for our customers, including physical backup. We really like controlling the software with command-line and API. Integration with our remote monitoring was simple. Also, the sales team always finds good solutions, when there are tricky licensing request from our customers.

Cons:

There are no real cons to mention. Sometimes we wish, that the logs in the UI would tell more details, when it comes to errors. But we always were able to sort it out.

Peter
Peter
Senior IT Engineer in Hungary
Nonprofit Organization Management, 1,001-5,000 Employees

NAKIVO B&R from the POV of a NGO company

Comments: 10/10. Great support for fair price.

Pros:

Fast, easy to use, responsive webui, support incremental and differencial backup, built in support chat.

Cons:

Nothing really. There is no support for signed commercial cert for the webui, but maybe i just dont find it.