Apache OpenOffice Reviews

by Apache Software Foundation

• Overall
    4.4 /5
    4.4 /5

About Apache OpenOffice

Open productivity suite that allows users to produce letters, multimedia presentations, diagrams, 3D illustrations, and more.

Learn more about Apache OpenOffice

Nibaruta M.
technician
  • Reviewed on 15/03/2021

"Alternative to Microsoft office"

Comments: I have had OpenOffice freeze in mid of work and the only way to solve the issue was to restart the pc. you can as well go to save and have the entire application shutdown automatically.

Pros: Free and open-source, it can do some of the tasks that are done by other professional software in its category but I would recommend choosing another if you want reliability and better performance.

Cons: Mostly on certain systems, you will encounter bugs that can cause you to lose or interrupt your work. The open office has other issues that can as well affect those you work with. It could be adaptable to some and absolute a nightmare to others. If you are familiar with Microsoft office don't think you will be able to use open office easily matter of fact it can be a very big problem to switch.

• Reviewed on 15/03/2021
Missy B.
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 12/02/2021

"best free office software"

Comments: it's a great software for all your office needs. it's easy to use!

Pros: this is the best free office software out there. i use this as an alternative to microsoft office 360. it's free & works just as good, if not better.

Cons: microsoft office documents don't always transfer over to open office exactly the same. that's the only glitch i've found with this software.

• Reviewed on 12/02/2021
Writer
  • Reviewed on 24/08/2019

"I Love OpenOffice!"

Pros: I've used OpenOffice for YEARS now. There are so many things I love about it, it's hard to indicate just a few in one review. As a writer, I need a word processing software that, put simply, simple! OpenOffice has the capacity to do a LOT of complex things for other industries--like graphics, spreadsheets, presentations--and it can do everything Microsoft Office does, but I think the standout thing about OpenOffice is it never glitches on me (except maybe visually when I'm scrolling through an 500-page document) and it doesn't take up a lot of space on my computer so it always opens right away--as opposed to Microsoft Word which always takes forever to open and crashes on my Macbook Pro frequently. Also, OpenOffice is free.

Cons: I don't have any complaints. Sometimes when I'm working with a 500/800 page document, the text sometimes glitches visually, but all I do is scroll up and down a bit and that fixes it.

• Reviewed on 24/08/2019
Volunteer Coordinator
Education Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/09/2018

"Awesome! The same as Microsoft Products!"

Comments: I use this software just like I would Microsoft to help write letters collect data and keep me accountable. This software has been a huge help, especially when I did not have the budget for Microsoft and have been true to open office ever since.

Pros: Need I say more, this is by far the best product out there. I started using open office several years ago when I didn't have the budget for Microsoft office, excel, word, etc. This software is free and is identical to Microsoft. The best part is when you are ready to save it gives you an option that converts it to a Microsoft formst so it can be opened anywhere on any computer. This is definitely by far an amazing program that allows you to accomplish so much from writing letters, to data sheets like excel, to creating presentations. It does pretty much the same thing but all for free, how can you ask for more?

Cons: There really is no cons to this program, as it does so much for a free application.

• Reviewed on 26/09/2018
Abdul wahab K.
  • Reviewed on 05/01/2021

"Apache Open Office is best free office suite"

Comments: I am saving on licensing cost by using free office suite by Apache with a freedom to choose any operating system of my choice.

Pros: Most importantly, it's free and opensource. It is very easy to use and to switch from other office suite. It is available to use on various operating systems. I got freedom to choose any operating system of my choice for my daily office works. It consumes low disk space in comparison to other similar software. No licensing required. Support almost all popular file formats.

Cons: In my throughout experience of using Apache Open Office, I didn't experienced any issue except file format support for new Microsoft Office file formats like DOCx, XLSx and PPTx.

• Reviewed on 05/01/2021
Michael H.
Content Creator
  • Reviewed on 13/06/2019

"Awesome alternative to Microsoft Office"

Comments: I started using Open Office in college. I was over at a friend's house and we were working on a project but he did not have Microsoft Office. I had heard people talk about Open Office, but to be honest I was a Microsoft fanboy. But that's an easy life when you are not directly responsible for paying for it. My friend downloaded and installed Open Office and we were able to create access the saved data files from class. No longer in college, and solely responsible for my finances, I have ditched the fanboy attire, and now I wear the FREE is for ME lifestyle.

Pros: The thing I like the most about Open Office is that it is a FREE alternative to Microsoft Office.

Cons: The thing I like the least about Open Office is trying to figuring how to do tasks that I am familiar with Microsoft Office, but I will say that Open Office did a wonderful job on the icons. Their similarities to Microsoft Office's icons and icon placement does help out alot.

• Reviewed on 13/06/2019
Matthew A.
Administrative Aide
Government Administration, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/11/2018

"My Go-To Office Suite at Home"

Comments: I selected 10 on the "likely to recommend" scale because I have already recommended this amazing, free resource to dozens of people.

Pros: 1. It's free. 2. It does basically everything MS Office can, for free. 3. Each new iteration becomes more user-friendly and incorporates greater options and functionality, for free. 4. The software is open-source, contributing to a more collaborative and equitable internet... for Free.

Cons: OO can be somewhat clunkier than Office, especially in trying to use more advanced functions in some of the sub-apps, and some advanced functions that MS products have just are not there (but that's very few!). I also dislike that everyone who struggles to turn out nice documents in WordPad doesn't already know about OpenOffice.

• Reviewed on 26/11/2018
Anthony A.
  • Reviewed on 05/04/2019

"Perfect Office Software"

Comments: I love using open office. I use MS office at work since it is installed, but at home, I use open office. It's compatible with MS Office anyways.

Pros: This software is surprisingly great. I prefer to use this over MS office. It just seems to work better for all of my office needs. It just works! Loads fast, has great options for spreadsheet software, and it's easy to find assistance via Google search when you need help. Perfect for the home office!

Cons: I am not sure of any cons other than maybe support. The formulas for the spreadsheet do use some different characters for things like the "Concat" function, which may cause confusion for people switching from MS office.

• Reviewed on 05/04/2019
IT Helpdesk Support Specialist
Medical Practice, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/08/2018

"Amazing Office Solution"

Comments: It's solved having office applications on several different machines that rotate out at intermittent times and that don't have a need for a full fledged Microsoft Office installation.

Pros: This is by far one of my favorite programs. I use several different computers for my job and I need an office application on each of the four different PC's I have to switch back and forth on each day. Saves a lot of money in the IT budget and has the same functionality as Microsoft Office and is a bit more flexible.

Cons: I really have nothing negative to say about OpenOffice. It's free and does a great job. Maybe one downfall is that there isn't a replacement for Outlook.

• Reviewed on 06/08/2018
April C.
Author
Publishing, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 09/07/2019

"Fantastic software for all your office needs!"

Comments: I've used OpenOffice in a few different settings. I worked for an RV company where I was first introduced to Apache OpenOffice and used the spreadsheets to keep track of different jobs and tracking information lists. I was amazed to learn that OpenOffice was not only free but offered a lot of the same applications as the competition. Now, as an independent author, I use OpenOffice all the time! I'm on a budget, so having OpenOffice is a real lifesaver for my wallet. But on top of that, they don't skimp out on the quality or the ability to save your work in multiple formats, making documents acceptable no matter what kind of software the person you're sending your projects to uses. I call that a win all the way around and I absolutely recommend OpenOffice all the time to other writers and people I talk to in general!

Pros: Easy to use.
Free to download.
Multiple applications.
Can save in different formats.

Cons: The app for android isn't completely free, but other than that if you're using it on a PC, I have not one bad word to say about it!

• Reviewed on 09/07/2019
Jessica P.
Writer
Writing & Editing, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 05/08/2019

"Pleased Customer"

Comments: I'm an author, but like most upcoming artists, saving money is important to me. I felt I was able to do with this great software!

Pros: I thought I was going to have to spend so much money to get a similar suite that is Office. When I found OpenOffice, I loved it just as much, if not more.

Cons: I don't have many dislikes. If there were things I didn't know how to do, I've learned how to do them by now, really just by playing around. It's very user-friendly.

• Reviewed on 05/08/2019
Mark N.
Executive Director
Nonprofit Organization Management, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 16/03/2021

"Needed Free Office Software for Nonprofit - OpenOffice was great for my needs for years"

Comments: I was very happy to find out it existed and was an open source, free alternative to the other buggy Office software that was causing lots of frustration

Pros: I really needed a free and open source software for my office needs, as the Microsoft version I has was constantly bugging and freezing. I found OpenOffice and was very happy to see that it was free and did pretty much all the things I needed it to do. I liked that it never crashed on me at all, and did what I needed it to!

Cons: At the time I was using it, document compatibility with different .doc files was the main issue, but I got used to it over time, and used OpenOffice for a few years, it was great!

• Reviewed on 16/03/2021
Gary G.
Bench Technician
Computer Hardware, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/07/2019

"Great Alternative! (With a catch.)"

Comments: For customers who need something quick and/or free, I cannot recommend Apache OpenOffice enough! IT takes a little time to get used to, but it's the best alternative I've found out there!

Pros: I've been able to open just about every single file I could think of using this software that was originally used with Microsoft Office! Very handy for people who need something right away who don't have time to try and download Office all over again, or someone who is only going to use this software very rarely.

Cons: It opens 90% of all files I have opened previously with a Microsoft Office application, but there are still several file formats from Windows 7 and before that still have issues and will only open up showing random characters and symbols. Can be a little frustrating at times.

• Reviewed on 25/07/2019
Emmy W.
manager
  • Reviewed on 31/05/2018

"Great to use!"

Pros: This is an excellent and affordable program to use! It comes with many different programs such as calc, draw, impress, writer, and many more. In my line of work i often use all the programs in combination with a spreadsheet from another program to keep track of everything.

Cons: I wish Open Office included a spreadsheet program in their downloads, i could then do all my job tasks in one area through one program.

• Reviewed on 31/05/2018
Michael B.
Game Designer
Design, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 14/11/2020

"Free Doc Editing - Hampered by Offline Only"

Pros: I love that it's a robust, free text editor. It does what most full featured word processing software does but for no cost.

Cons: It's only available offline, like so many programs of the past. I need access wherever I go. And I don't always take my main computer.

• Reviewed on 14/11/2020
Executive Director
51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/04/2018

"It is free!!!. If you just need a simple excel and word, it is great"

Pros: - it is free and legal
- you have the basics but most useful features of microsoft office
- There is large community supporting it

Cons: - Some features like copy paste in excel (calc) are not user friendly (looks like excel 97)
- Dictionaries and corrections are not intuitive, you need to do some research to make them work properly
- Sofisticated features are not that user friendly, like pivot tables

• Reviewed on 05/04/2018
Brian M.
Water Engineer
Civil Engineering, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/09/2019

"A wonderful open resource"

Comments: Apache open office is a great open resource that is very complete as a document editing and managing software.

Pros: One thing I love about open office is that it is an open resource that anyone can get for free online.
It has great tools to perform office tasks including slides and spreadsheets like its counterpart Microsoft office.
I love that open office can open file formats that are impossible for ms office to open.

Cons: Open office is not as advanced and powerful as Microsoft Office and it lacks some features.
Also, most people are not familiar with the formats that open office files are saved in and I always feel the need to save my documents in ms office before I send them out to people.

• Reviewed on 12/09/2019
Coord Consejo Nacional de las Personas con Discapacidad
  • Reviewed on 23/04/2018

"Ecxelente program as it has a large number of templates for all types of your files."

Comments: It is a program of easy use because its tools are of easy domain, it is totally free what makes having a large number of users all over the planet, it is compatible with other systems such as MacOS, Linux, Solaris, Windows doing this that can be opened the files in any of these programs.

Pros: One of its best aspects is that it is compatible with MacOs, Linus, Solaris and Windows, unlike its competitors that only work with MacOs and Windows, it has a better handling of units in the graphics of the text sheets and tables of data does not generate very high columns or invisible, another of its qualities is that totally free, is a program with great stability and takes up very little space on the hard drive.

Cons: There is a need to improve some tools, as is the case with spell-checkers since they must be downloaded and installed manually, as well as the absence of synonym dictionaries and grammar correctors that, if they have other programs with MS- WORD, another of the negative elements the compatibility with other programs what makes the tables or texts can move when trying to open with other programs.

• Reviewed on 23/04/2018
Small business owner
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 22/09/2020

"Great free alternative to MS Office"

Comments: I've used it for years for basic documents and household use. I've created many spreadsheets, tables, charts, essays, resumes, etc. A great option if you don't want to spend the money on MS office

Pros: Gives you the ability to create word documents, spread sheets, etc, just like MS office. It's completely free!

Cons: The file formats are a bit different, so if you try to open an Excel spreadsheet with openoffice, it may not open correctly

• Reviewed on 22/09/2020
Michael S.
  • Reviewed on 17/11/2017

"Free cross compatible software."

Comments: Easy to use free software. Meets all requirements that we need in a word program.

Pros: Awesome program to use for everyday basic use. We use it a lot to convert files to and from pdf on our Mac. Easily send documents between a Mac and pc.

Cons: Not much to hate about this software. It could probably be set up and designed a little better, but it gets the job done regardless.

• Reviewed on 17/11/2017
Arvind B.
System Administrator
  • Reviewed on 23/09/2018

"Free to use Office tool"

Pros: Apache OpenOffice is a great, free to use open source alternative for Microsoft office. You can edit your word docs, excel sheets without paying a money penny of money. It is available run Linux systems as well, hence can be used by anyone.

Cons: What more can you expect from a free to use tool, it is very much perfect.

• Reviewed on 23/09/2018
Apparel & Fashion, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 03/01/2019

"I recommend this to all"

Pros: No need to pay for the Microsoft suite with this open source, fully compatible suite.
I use Opencalc and Open Office Writer on a daily basis.

Cons: Very rarely, a document will show a few modifications after being transferred to a computer using Microsoft Office and Excel. It's rare and the changes are minor when it happens.

• Reviewed on 03/01/2019
John E.
King
  • Reviewed on 29/09/2020

"Useful Word alternative"

Comments: Terrific for a free app and if you want an alternative to Word, very useful.

Pros: When Word became problematic for Mac (expensive) I tried out Open Office, the free word processor app with open code, I found it worked as well and transferred my plays and graphic work on CD covers etc. and had no problem. I have had some recipients have problems opening OO documents, but you can 'translate' them to Word format within the app.

Cons: There have been occasional glitches in format when I reopened a graphic design with text, but I suspect that was because of my limited skills and not the app.

• Reviewed on 29/09/2020
Gregory M.
Developer
  • Reviewed on 28/03/2018

"One of my favorite tools for several years"

Pros: All the tools are excellent ... I use them daily and they have never bothered me, I love especially Write, it's the best.

Cons: Very occasionally it still has faults when passing some files to Microsoft Office. However, it remains a powerful and comfortable tool.

• Reviewed on 28/03/2018
Client Manager
Banking, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/11/2019

"Open Office: the greatest and cheapest alternative to MS Office"

Comments: OpenOffice is the best replacement for MSOffice and in some case not a replacements at all but a better suite overall. Deplyoment is usually easier than Offfice, especially since Microsoft started rolling out Office 365 as a subscription service.

Pros: Open Office is a great suite that in some areas has even better features than MS Office. Draw for example beat Visio while Base has less feature than Access but more industry standard support than it. Add to this the suite is completely free and give support to more file formats than MS Office and you will understand why many switched to it. Add also that it is multiplatform and you can use it on Windows as well as on Linux and that's the cherry on the cake.

Cons: Being a multi platform suite the user interface suffer a little by not being fully compliant to Windows standards. So user switching from a MS Office suite should be trained to accept the new look and feel, although just a matter of cosmetics.

• Reviewed on 10/11/2019