Review of Sage One

Margaret S.
HR Manager
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 501-1,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We really liked how simple Sage have made this software, they must have used different developers than the Sage 50 developers! We also liked the VAT handling, top marks for that.

Pros: Sage One is extremely basic and fairly straight forward to use. The software is a no frills solution and is stripped down to bare bones. For instance, there are no nominal codes and no transactions list (audit trail) etc. The terminology is also very user friendly so that non-professionals and users without bookkeeping experience can understand it better. The website has a mediocre design but the design of the accounting software itself was actually very good, better than the website’s design, which is unusual!
Speed: The speed of the actual accounting software is fast but entering transactions is not. For example, entering cash book (banking) transactions has three steps which seemed a bit overkill in our opinion. Also the places for entering sales receipts, purchase payments and bank transfers were spread out throughout the software which meant that it coule be time consuming if you have a mixture of transactions to enter.

Cons: We did not like how entering different types of transactions required the user to access multiple sections of the accounting software.

So easy to use

Reviewed on 25/05/2018
Kim P.
Controller/CFO
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Allows us to easily do payroll for 25 people in-house and avoid an expensive service.

Pros: Very easy, smooth processing, zero issues in 5+ years. Easy to reach help if something needs changing or updating and changes are made within minutes (changing rate plan, updating bank draft info, etc)

Cons: The direct deposit fee system creates a journal entry for you and it is not immediately available. It used to happen when the payroll was synced but now you have to wait a day or so for it to download. I wish there was a way to make that instant again or turn it off so we could adjust manually immediately.

Beneficial Software

Reviewed on 10/10/2018
Jonathan T.
Payroll Analyst
Retail, 501-1,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Sage software makes our job more easier and convenient since it can be access through mobile phones and fax which is very useful in our corporate that have a numerous number of branches, and make it possible to check ledgers any time even out of working hours. It also covers all payroll processing and taxation duties with expanded range of reports including general ledger.

Cons: As of now I don't have any problems with sage software it is very useful for all of us in our department and makes our work more efficient

Cloud based payroll program that gets the job done

Reviewed on 10/04/2018
Tim B.
Operations Manager
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: This cloud based program lets us do our payroll and keep track of time in an easy enough to use platform. Since this is geared towards small and medium sized businesses it was perfect for us. It allows us to pay with direct deposit, paycards, and company checks which is very convenient for us. Overall this program is great at doing what it needs to do.

Cons: There are times that this can be a little slow to use and buggy, but overall we haven't had too many issues with the program and think the benefits outweigh the cons. Nothing major that would hold us back from buying again.

Sage 50 Payroll

Reviewed on 21/08/2018
Andrea N.
Medical Practice, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: At home I do prefer Brightpay ( we've got only e employees and two/three sub-contractors); Sage seems to be the software for payroll when you got more than 20 employees. I wish Sage would let me know that wages or pension needs to be submitted to HMRC (which brightpay does).

Pros: Using it for over 10 years now; there is nothing I don't know about sage payroll by now. Pension module is easy to use, all necessary correspondents is saved in the individual employees file on Sage.

Cons: Very expensive! Pension module cost extra! GDPR cost extra! and so on. Sage payroll enrolls new employee with a future date but then wont let me submit the pension data as one or more employees auto-enrolment date is in the future. "Sage you set the program up that way and then you tell me its wrong to submit?" Very strange.

Covers all of my payroll needs!

Reviewed on 12/10/2017
Stephanie S.
Sourcer
Insurance, 10,001+ Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Sage Payroll is super easy, convenient, and fast to use. It has saved us many headaches in comparison to our old, clunky system! We use the report-writer tool daily, and having the ability to export the data we need is so helpful. The interface is simple and straightforward, and does exactly what we need it to do.

Cons: Although it is not the most robust payroll system in the world, it functions at a basic and reliable level and each update improves the system greatly.

Sage Payroll is affordable, and reliable. it also offers a detailed collection of reports

Reviewed on 18/01/2018
Network Technician
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Payroll process is now easier to complete

Pros: Provides detailed reports with the ability to allow users to pay their employees through direct deposit, or company-generated checks.

Cons: Outdated GUI with an unfriendly interface. This software can be complex and confusing for payroll officers without prior accounting knowledge.

Good luck if you're expecting world class support from a world class service provider.

Reviewed on 08/08/2018
Coreen zwarts Z.
Accountant
Accounting, 51-200 Employees
Customer Support

Comments: After years of being a loyal customer I am saying goodbye.

Pros: The program can still be learned or a course the price of a arm and a leg can be taken and you will be able to work it after a while in part.

Cons: Please do not expect telephone support because pastel has a high call volume and year end the whole year through. Email support is a guide that is sent to sort you out and 80% misses the plot completely. Do not overpay your account even once, because each month you will have to throw a tantrum and send an email to all their departments to get out of arrears for overpaying them.

great program

Reviewed on 30/01/2018
Michelle T.
manger
Construction, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: i like everything about the program. it is easy to use and rarely ever have to call customer service for help

Cons: i think that the program should branch out further and have more options that can be used with the system

Sage Payroll - I saw how the product changed from the first release

Reviewed on 14/01/2019
Junior Front End Developer
Information Technology & Services, 501-1,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: For 12 years I have been working on Sage and One Payroll products is the product that made the greatest progress and the most developed. I implemented the software from the first version and I can honestly say that One Payroll is easy to set up and use, and at the same time gives you great customization options for your own needs

Cons: Each new release contains some minor bugs, but they are quickly corrected. Only the price and licensing method can be one of cons

Sage helped us pay our employees with ease!

Reviewed on 10/12/2017
People Business Partner
Marketing & Advertising, 5,001-10,000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: This was the first system I was thought when doing payroll. This was so easy to use I was completing payroll, making changes, producing reports and checking statements within a month of learning how to use this. It is so easy to click on a name, make the change and save your changes. For a novice, this was great as a starting tool and we used it for years.

Cons: I would say reporting could be better as at times I wanted to make my own, but for me it looked complicated and therefore I didn't use it as much. Also there is a flow of how the system works and this can be confusing as this assists in understanding the order of Sage.

Not User-Friendly

Reviewed on 27/01/2017
Laura B.
Next Steps Coordinator
Philanthropy, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I feel like a pretty competent and computer savvy person. The more I use Sage, the less and less I like it. I don't know if it's just my company or what, but every January, I lose my mind. When it's time to update rates & salaries, there are one million steps and once I think I've figured it out, I look at the calculated totals for our next paychecks and almost all of them are incorrect. I have to then call to get things sorted out. I have now been transferred three times. "Self-service" payroll is not an adequate name for this product. I have been told that there are certain features that I can change on my own and others I cannot. It should be 100% self-service or 0%. Additionally, every year the W-2s for two of my employees are incorrect. Overall, running payroll from paycheck to paycheck is a simple process! I'd recommend it for that, but a headache I experience each year in updating totals and doing taxes is starting to make me question whether I should stick with Sage or not. I will say that 80% of the people I speak with in customer support are friendly - so I guess that's good.

Pros: It's quick to use for running payroll.

Cons: Updating rates, salaries, and deductions are very difficult. It causes such a headache.

Review for Sage

Reviewed on 09/08/2017
Rita F.
HR Administrator
Philanthropy, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Sage allows easy uploading and access to documentation of employees for employment regulations and so forth

Cons: Uploading failures occur quite frustrating at times I believe this happened when there are more users at one time

Sage Payroll

Reviewed on 03/04/2019
Andrew H.
manager
Accounting, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Cutting time and increasing accuracy of client's payroll increases company's profitability and efficiency.

Pros: Using programmed features to do client's payroll makes it whole lot easier than traditional Excel.
Less time consuming as it automatically calculates deductions which makes it less room for error.
Printing cheques, PD7A, T4 and etc.

Cons: As it is a program, it takes little while to get use to the features.
Especially when adjusting previously entered payroll could we little tricky.

Sage Payroll Services

Reviewed on 23/08/2018
Laura D.
HR
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Sage Payroll Services is the best payroll platform I've ever used. Ease of use and back office support is top notch at Sage.

Pros: Price. Ease of use. Rep support. Back office support. Accuracy of reporting. Accuracy of tax payments.

Cons: I cannot think of any cons with Sage.I have used many services before and was never impressed with the others.

Flexible software that can be customized

Reviewed on 03/10/2018
Tina Y.
Accounting Specialis
Accounting, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Can be customized to meet your needs. The payroll entries are automatically generated and integrated in the Sage accounting system

Cons: It does not generate an accurate ROE when an employee did not work on certain pay periods. The ROE is done manually

Sage Payroll 10-30 Employees

Reviewed on 16/11/2016
Ron F.
Outside CPA
Retail
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Very pleased with the ease of use, including salaried and hourly employees. Reports are very detailed and customizable. Optional e-file of reports is not expensive, easy to use and worth the cost

Pros: If you want control of your payroll, Using the built-in Sage Payroll is worth the extra cost

Cons: Nothing really

Sage Payroll System

Reviewed on 07/11/2016
Emma F.
Managing Director
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I stared using Sage at the beginning of the year having previously used different payroll software for almost 9 years. My main reason for changing was that even though it had been promised for years the other software did not work on Apple and I needed it to as my main computer is a MacBook. I find Sage to be very good value. Easy to use on all computers. Quick and easy to do a payroll run but there are definitely quite a number of features it is lacking compared to other payroll software but then this may be due to the fact that it does offer such good value for money. I believe they may be adding to it which would be super.

Pros: Ease of use. Price. Can be used on an Apple Mac.

Cons: Lacks certain functionality.

Easy to use. Great for a small business.

Reviewed on 18/07/2017
Bill L.
Controller
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Ease of use frees me up for other tasks.

Pros: Automatic. Great for a small business with no payroll changes. Just set and forget, payroll runs every week.

Cons: Need customer service help to make changes. Handles local taxes but takes some effort to get set-up.

Ok but not great for a large employer

Reviewed on 14/07/2018
Wanda T.
Accountant
Accounting, 201-500 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: It is very reliable and simple to navigate. Its easy to set up new employees.

Pros: Fantastic customer support and training. Great E knowledge and online help portal. the software is reliable and easy to use. Easy to export employee data to excel

Cons: Not great for a large employer with complicated work patterns-rosters. It doesn't handle partime rates auto uploads, I have to manually key each new rate per employee. Also I do not believe you have the ability to upload csv files (for updating).. Reporting is limited to the pre-formatted reports provided

Sage hijacked our payroll software!

Reviewed on 07/11/2017
Joni G.
Retail, 2-10 Employees
Customer Support

Comments: I do have to say since they forced us to find another payroll software, I can now see how cumbersome the sage software is.

Pros: Fully integrated with Sage software. I actually really liked the Sage program, until I found that others were actually easier. I liked how it was flexible and had had the manual tax override. I liked the reports that it created and that it would generate the 941's. I like how it would track the changes in an employee's wage over their employment.

Cons: The high maintenance fees to maintain this software is ridiculous. I also did not like how you had to completely close a quarter and/or year before you could go on to the next. This is especially challenging with year end and the w-2's. I have since found that with other software this is not the case.

Payroll solution for those with limited time

Reviewed on 11/06/2018
Jenn J.
blogger
Retail, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: payroll completed in a timely fashion with ease

Pros: fast easy and accurate, this program makes payroll a less daunting chore with many time saving features to help you finish accurately

Cons: i really have no dislikes in this program but it could be a bit more appealing to the eyes its very standard looking

Reviewed on 01/11/2017
Teresa T.
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: If a mistake is made it is easy to go back and fix. Such as payroll if a cheque was done incorrectly all you have to do in adjust the cheque to fix.

Cons: Setting up the software is a little confusing when setting up deductions and income for payroll I don't use it often and forget how to do this.

You lose access to all your reports and data once you discontinue the service

Reviewed on 15/01/2019
Noel F.
Human Resources
Construction, 2-10 Employees
Customer Support

Comments: We shut down our business in the 3rd quarter and immediately lost access to all of our payroll reports, quarterly reports, and information for the whole year. We ended up having to do W-2s ourselves.

Pros: Customer service is helpful. The program is somewhat complicated and not very user friendly, so customer service will likely be needed so many functions.

Cons: We had to use both Sage Payroll and Sage Time, and then export information from Time into Payroll. It's complicated and the 2 services do not talk to each other. We had a problem with one of our employee's input and each system insisted it was on the other one's end.

I was working on payroll for a small company and they had this software and I worked on it a dozen times or more before my project assignment ended

Reviewed on 01/02/2018
Betty L.
HR Consultant
Food & Beverages, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: It is easy to use and I like the fact that it will calculate all the taxes you need to process payroll

Cons: Well it is a simple program and you can't really run alot of scenarios on it I wish it had more functionality