Play Digital Signage Reviews

4.8 (193) Write a Review!

About Play Digital Signage

Easily create engaging digital signage content and publish within minutes of signing up.

Learn more about Play Digital Signage

Pros:

Integrated with other composition products such as Google Slides. Produces a solution that runs on inexpensive controllers.

Cons:

There was initial learning curve to creating the navigation layout, I think it could be simplified even more, but unfortunately I can't propose a more concrete recommendation.

Play Digital Signage ratings

4.7
4.8
4.6
4.7

9.2/10

Play Digital Signage has an overall rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars based on 193 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Play Digital Signage before?

Aaron
Aaron
IT Support in UK
Financial Services, 201-500 Employees

Very clean, easy to use product with a fantastic customer support team.

Comments: Able to show logos and metrics on our internal screens across the business, ability to finetune playlist schedule (ie. Only company logo after hours) Remotely able to update screens across different locations without ever needing to leave my desk.

Pros:

Very easy to use, super intuitive, regular updates with new features - I find myself renewed with excitement for this company and product when something new gets added.

Cons:

Organisation - I'm a structured folder guy, sometimes I want to group things up more, but that's a personal preference. What I have found in my time using playsignage is that the team are usually willing and able to bend over backwards to fulfil the demand in a decent amount of time - features that were missing are now implemented because they listen.

Emma
Emma
Associate Director of Development in US
Religious Institutions, 11-50 Employees

Easy to deploy; works as expected

Comments: For how inexpensive it is, it's a GREAT product. We looked into Yodeck and ScreenCloud, and we might've gone with them, but we wanted fast and simple and inexpensive deployment. If that's your needs, you can't go wrong with a simple Fire Stick and Play Digital Signage. My boss was very impressed, too!

Pros:

It's so simple to get it set up. I had beautiful digital signage going in about thirty minutes -- and that included the setup of the Amazon Fire Stick, too! I appreciate that it's simple to use but has more bells and whistles still to explore and utilize. I love the ability to schedule a slide for certain time frames. Love that you can do video or images. I believe there's even the ability to add widgets!

Cons:

There's a little oddity when slides transition -- particularly with video slides. But cutting down the display time by half a second takes care of that. It also wasn't totally clear to me how to get the content from my computer to the TV the first time (with asset uploads, playlist creation, deployment, etc.). But once I understood it, it was a piece of cake.

Alternatives Considered: ScreenCloud and Yodeck

Reasons for Switching to Play Digital Signage: Inexpensiveness, ease of deployment, and because you can't test out Yodeck without committing yourself to purchasing their equipment (no returns). Fire Stick and Play made it inexpensive to test and we could always return the Fire Sticks if it didn't work well.

11 months ago

Thanks for the great review - We really appreciate you taking time to do this. If you have a few minutes, I'd love to hear what could have changed the 4 stars to 5 stars? You can e-mail me directly at [email protected]

Ed
Ed
Sr IT Technician in US
Retail, 51-200 Employees

Easy to Use Digital Signage Platform

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

I like that this service has been easy to use from the first time I tried it. The number of apps available for various OS/platforms was a plus as we could bring our existing equipment over rather than having to purchase everything new. The desktop application makes management simple.

Cons:

Devices can get disconnected from the signage system, usually after some time offline, and need to readded to play content. This does not happen often.

3 weeks ago

Hi Ed, Thanks for the review. Regarding the players "loosing" their link, please reach out using the live chat and let's have a look at what is going on. Regards Lars

Melanie
Ministry Assistant in US
Religious Institutions, 2-10 Employees

Review FBCB

3.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Neutral.

Pros:

The many options available to produce slides for the sign.

Cons:

It takes a while to get the hang of using it.

2 weeks ago

Hi Melanie, Thanks for the review, we appreciate you taking the time. Regards Lars.

Shawn
Product Manager in US
Internet, 11-50 Employees

Good product for distributing ads

4.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Ease of use, fits most of the needs, good customer support

Cons:

Hard to manage a large number of assets and locations

2 months ago

Hi Shawn, Thanks for the review. You mention it's hard to manage a large number of assets and locations. Do you know about teams? Link, https://playsignage.com/features/teams/ With teams you can add multiple "locations", "departments" all under the name TEAM. Check it out and let me know if you have any questions. Regards Lars.

Maciej
Co-owner in Poland
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees

Intuitive and as easy to set up as apps in 2022 should be

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: I need to set up a simple digital signage system and don't have much time/resources to do so. PDS made it easy to do it without any special knowledge and with little time. It just works out of the box!

Pros:

I first went through the boot camp of setting up software built into my display. When I finished I realized it didn't have the features I needed. Play Digital Signage is on the other side of the spectrum. It's super intuitive and has all features such an application should have, at least for a user like me.

Cons:

I'm not the happiest person being stuck to the built-in visual editor, but the big number of features plugins makes it much easier to me :)

Alternatives Considered: Yodeck and OnSign TV

Reasons for Choosing Play Digital Signage: The ease of use.

Reasons for Switching to Play Digital Signage: Ease of use, price, number of features

2 months ago

Hi Maciej, Thanks for the review, I'm glad you found the software easy to use and that we were able to provide you with the plugins and features you were looking for. Regards Lars

Jack
Owner in US

Seamless Integration and Modest Pricing

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

The remote management and ease of use are critical for deploying digital signage throughout an organization. Training and maintenance are streamlined by the my play interface.

Cons:

I would re-arrange the left navigation panel. Deploying content to screens for testing purpose can be rather inconvenient. Once in a production environment this is not an issue. I understand there is a preview pane. However content lags in the window display.

2 months ago

Hi Jack, Thanks for the review. I am not sure I understand the note about the left navigation and deploying to test screens. Can you elaborate on that? Regards Lars

Jay
Technical Manager in US
Religious Institutions, Self Employed

Play for Worship Spaces

Comments: Extremely fast to set up and get running.

Pros:

It is extremely versatile. I like that I did not have to sit through a ton of classes to learn how to use it.

Cons:

Truthfully, I haven't found any issues with the product.

Alternatives Considered: Onsight and Free Digital Signage

Reasons for Switching to Play Digital Signage: It looks better and was easier to use.

2 months ago

Hi Jay, Thanks for the review - It's always a pleasure to see happy users. Regards Lars.

Bassam
Board Member in US
Religious Institutions, 11-50 Employees

Go to Digital Sign app

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Very good and looking into purchasing the license since its the best Digital Sign player that i have used and is very easy to setup.

Pros:

Every feature that I need for our organization, I was able to find and use. Plugins also have brief videos on how to setup or use that plugin which is very helpful.

Cons:

Sometimes the player would stop and i would need to restart the player on the Android box which might be from the Android box or something else which i havent figured out yet.

4 weeks ago

Hi Bassam, Thank you for the review, we appreciate you taking the time. In regards to the player crashing - This is usually caused by the player being overloaded. You'd need to upgrade to a stronger player or lean out the content. Regards Lars

Andrea
CEO in Italy

Satisfied

5.0 last month New

Comments: Speed of startup, speed of production, autonomy of content management even by basic customers

Pros:

Simple, ready 2 go, many hw compatible, professional and stable

Cons:

the white label version is no longer available

last month

Hi Andrea, Thanks for the review, we appreciate you taking the time to do this. PS. We have never offered a white label version. Regards Lars

Oak
CFO in US
Legal Services, 51-200 Employees

Easy to use, priced right

Pros:

We've been using a commercial package called SuperSign to broadcast to our lobby TV. We used it because for a long time we wanted to display a TV station inside a frame and put a welcome message on the side of the TV to greet people. It was very complex and a real pain for our receptionists to edit and change when clients came in. So we decided to find a better product and decided we didn't need TV broadcasting. That opened the field wide up. I found a lot of products that would do the job but many were quite expensive. Play Signage was priced right and free for the first instance so I figured I had nothing to lose but for the cost of buying an Amazon Fire stick to plug into the TV. I bought one and started configuring the system. I'm big on systems being intuitive and not requiring tutorials for basic functionality. I like to jump right in and if I get frustrated, ask for help or look for something better. In this case, I asked a number of questions to support about what the capabilities of the product were and they were very responsive. When I ran into a couple issues with how to do things, same thing. The best part though was how easy it was to get started and build out the playlist and publish it to the Fire stick and get it displaying on the TV. Super easy and I did that all without assistance. I'm definitely going to be deploying more of these.

Cons:

The software is great, but just a general warning about the platform. The Amazon Fire stick is not a powerful platform to run the software from. When I put a "Welcome to" ticker on the bottom of a template, if I play at normal or fast speeds, it stutters when the slides above it change. If action is required for your purposes, you'll want a microcomputer platform instead of the Fire stick, but this is an easy way to test the platform and see if you like it. I put the ticker at slow speed so the stuttering isn't as noticeable and now it's acceptable for our purposes.

Anthony
Associate Director in US
Higher Education, 51-200 Employees

After searching, finally found the signage software we need!

Comments: For a long time we had a 9-screen video wall with almost no flexibility in how it showed content. This software has given us the ability of looping Youtube videos, flyers, and other content seamlessly. For us that means better exposure, more engagement, and higher levels of entertainment for our guests.

Pros:

It's the most intuitive and user-friendly software we've used! The editing capabilities and plugins make it easy for us to display various forms of content on our screens. In the past, we've been limited on what we could show which was a poor customer experience for our guests. This software gives us the versatility that we need to really enhance our guest experience.

Cons:

The asset directory can get crowded and clunky if we don't keep on top of organizing the files. It'd be helpful to have an expiration date like there is for slides.

Alternatives Considered: Arreya, FWi and Reportex

Reasons for Choosing Play Digital Signage: Most critical reason was cost. Second was the ability to edit without HTML/CSS knowledge.

Switched From: Rise Vision

Reasons for Switching to Play Digital Signage: Cost was the most important reason. Also, another pivotal reason was the ability to test the software independently and without charge for the first screen. This gave us the flexibility of seeing how the software could work for us without committing first financially.

Jake
Jake
Videographer in US
Consumer Goods, 51-200 Employees

A wonderful low-budget option with cheap startup costs!

Comments: Our company is now able to provide important updates (departments working this weekend, upcoming events, important announcements, etc.) at the snap of a finger to all of our employees. We have over 4 screens and will continue to add more in the future. Managers and HR can update the screens with their own account from their own computers and our employees LOVE the modern entertainment and announcements we have on our screens. It really was a game changer for our company. The VP said these screens make us look like a fortune 500 company, which is so true!

Pros:

The fact that this can be ran off of a fire stick is a game changer. You don't have to purchase a big, expensive computer and mount it behind a TV. Instead, you purchase a $30 Fire Stick, plug it in and open the app. That's it. I also LOVE how you can manage all of the content from any computer and update the screens automatically. The built in editor is pretty nice too with a lot of interesting plugins and features. Support with this company is incredible. I reported a background music bug and within a month it was fixed and I was emailed an update from the tech team.

Cons:

I wish you could edit playlists on mobile devices or tablets. It would be nice to have better templates to start with. I had to create all of our screens from scratch. The learning curve was very small though.

Alternatives Considered: OptiSigns, Yodeck and NoviSign

Reasons for Switching to Play Digital Signage: Pricing was a big deal along with the ability to run off of a Fire Stick.

12 months ago

Hi Jake, thank you for the very generous review. We are working on a solution that will give you the ability to edit the content on a mobile device, but it's a tough one as the editor requires a lot of space.

Meredith
VP in US
Sports, Self Employed

Highly Recommend!

Pros:

I am not the typical user. I assumed the role of VP of a Women's Golf Association (all volunteer) earlier this year. We are a group of (mostly) retired women who play golf once-a-week at our golf club. One of my tasks was to maintain an old-fashioned bulletin board in our locker room -- a cork-board with paper notices posted using thumb tacks. Surely there had to be a better way. We had a television monitor in the locker room that was available to use. I began doing my homework on electronic signboards, learning and researching the various products. That's how I came across Play Signage. After watching the videos and reading the tutorials, I gathered up my courage, created an account, and started to create a slide. And then another slide. And another. And another. The learning curve was so easy and the capabilities were so robust. It was easy, and fun, and most of all, in no time I had created a deck of slides that I was really proud of. I included animations, gifs, plug-ins for the weather, time & date, quotes, and even some YouTube videos. If this retired person in her 60s could do this, anyone can do it. When I hit an occasional roadblock, Lars from Play Signage was on the chat line ready to help. He was generous with his time, and was always available -- weeknights, weekends, and even holidays. The customer support was above and beyond any software or application I have ever used. I highly recommend Play Signage.

Cons:

I have no comments for this section. There is nothing I don't like.

last year

Hi Meredith, Thanks for the awesome review! We appreciate you taking the time to put your review in.

Anthony
Support Worker - Homeless Project in UK
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 Employees

Great Product - Shocking Support

Comments: Sadly the support does not prop up the high level and quality of the software. Due to a misunderstanding it was believed we had intentionally created duplicate accounts and their support (a single individual on all different occasions) accused us of being fraudulent thieves, and 'did we see how this looked'. After resolving this we found the account to be blocked again a few months later - we had added team users which we were told was okay, but that we had added 5 screens which again, was fraud and because of the unacceptable behaviour on our account (but only two users had ever logged in?) they were not prepared to continue providing us with a free screen. We have moved to a different paid product now as we realise the benefit of a digital display to our residents, and we would recommend Play, but do not use the FREE single screen license unless you are prepared to experience judgemental, accusatory and pretty offensive support that considers you to be fraudulent criminals.

Pros:

The software itself is easy to use, adaptable and widely available on a lot of different platforms which makes it an easy choice for both beginner and advanced users. The online control panel is very easy with a drag-and-drop approach to creating slides and zones, the scheduling feature is great for delivering timed content.

Cons:

There's not much I didn't like about the software - as a charity organisation it was a great free offering that allowed us to showcase important information such as support lines, centre information but the plugin options were somewhat limited in comparison to competitors.

11 months ago

Hi Anthony, Thank you for taking the time to review our product. Our free screen concept has been and is still very unique, but unfortunately, we see a lot of users trying to cheat the system by creating multiple accounts to get more free screens. When our system marks accounts and duplicates we check them manually to make sure no mistakes were made. After our last conversation we did reach out to you with a couple of screenshots and a more in-depth explanation - I hope you received the e-mail.

George
Director of Customer Success in US
Professional Training & Coaching, 2-10 Employees

I recommend to everyone

Comments: This platform gives us the ability to quickly create and publish content on the screens in our facility.

Pros:

The price is the single largest attractor for us. Being able to have pro-rated billing is clutch since we don't have the screens on all the time. The first screen is free which is the one we keep on all the time with general information. We can then easily scale up to as many screens as we need during events.

Cons:

Social media integration. There is just a bit lacking from the ease of use and layout options.

Alternatives Considered: ScreenCloud

Reasons for Choosing Play Digital Signage: Price and customer support. Also, it's clear that Play is made by a team of skilled devs but also thoughtful leadership.

Switched From: ScreenCloud

Reasons for Switching to Play Digital Signage: Pricing

8 months ago

Hi George, Thanks for the review - We appreciate you taking the time to do this. I'd be happy to get your input on what we should work on for the social plugins. You can e-mail me at [email protected] Regards Lars

Munumi
Chief Innovations Officer in Namibia

Value for money digital signage system

Pros:

The ability to embed a playlist within a playlist and the ability to time a slide and have itself deleted on the date set. Slide stash is also a good feature, making it easy to use slides created across multiple playlists.

Cons:

The downside is the lack of news Apps. That area needs improvement.

Alternatives Considered: truDigital and EasySignage

4 months ago

Hi Munumi, Thanks for the review, we appreciate you taking the time. Regards Lars.

Björn
Managing DIrector in Netherlands
Telecommunications, 201-500 Employees

The signage solution that has never let us down.

Comments: It was very easy to finally have a tool that shows the content the way I wanted it. The content is displayed with the maximum ease of use and after I deployed it myself, it was really easy to transfer knowledge to the ultimate owner of the system, who is self supporting and never needs any assistance or help.

Pros:

What I like most is the simplicity, the ease of use and the fact that it never let us down. We haven't had a single downtime second in the 2 years that we have used the product. We have deployed Play on an Amazon Fire stick and 2 displays show content the way we want it without a single interruption.

Cons:

I could see a nicer integration with some images banks, external sites, or some other tools, but all of these are less relevant to the real usage we have.

8 months ago

Hi Björn, Thanks for the review, we appreciate you taking the time to do this. Regards Lars.

Ladislav
Ladislav
Director in Ireland
Design, 2-10 Employees

Great digital signage CMS

Comments: Certainly highly recommended CMS system. We have hands on comparison with other systems out there that are higher on the price point but give you less then Play.

Pros:

We used Play for many years now. We like the playlist management and even though it might have few small drawbacks it works for us in majority of deployments. Playlist nesting, custom schedule on slides are a great help when working with the content.

Cons:

No integration with WebOS is certainly a drawback but not a deal breaker for us.

Alternatives Considered: Signagelive, OMMA and NowSignage

Reasons for Switching to Play Digital Signage: Balance between price and features has won us over; great customer support also - [SENSITIVE CONTENT] is very reliable and helpful.

5 months ago

Hi Ladislav, Thanks for the review, we appreciate you taking the time to do it. Regards Lars

Paul
CEO in US
Retail, 11-50 Employees

Easier and Better than a Dedicated Device

Comments: We use Play in our store to show product-specific information.

Pros:

The software supports most streaming devices as well as PCs. We run it on a PC on-screen and an Amazon Fire on another one. Setting up the presentations is relatively easy using a browser-based editor. It is a breeze to push the new content to all or select screens. I feel that the software will not become obsolete and can evolve as displays get better.

Cons:

Setting up default zones on multiple slides for touch screen use is difficult. There should be a template that you can apply. Getting the best/correct resolution for the screen can be confusing. The editor is pretty easy to use, much like power-point but has its quirks that take some getting used to.

Alternatives Considered: Yodeck

Reasons for Choosing Play Digital Signage: The Brightsign is a dedicated-hardware device which had extremely difficult to use software and no remote update capabilities.

Reasons for Switching to Play Digital Signage: Play was easier to use.

8 months ago

Hi Paul, Thanks for the review, we appreciate you taking the time to do this. Regards Lars.

Danielle
Art Director in US
Architecture & Planning, 11-50 Employees

Easily the most robust solution at this price-point.

Comments: As a designer who works remotely, being able to efficiently manage content from the cloud rather than manually juggling flash drives with PowerPoint presentations has been fantastic.

Pros:

Play offers an incredibly robust product at the absolute best price-point available. Customer support is nothing short of outstanding, and the fact that they integrate seamlessly with an extensive list of devices (FireStick, Android, Chrome, Apple, Raspberry Pi, Windows, etc.) and offer a clean intuitive cloud-based editor loaded with plug-ins and easy scheduling, there isn't another solution that even comes close. Play has completely streamlined the way we push content to the displays in our office. And as a designer who works remotely, being able to efficiently manage content from the cloud rather than manually juggling flash drives with PowerPoint presentations has been fantastic.

Cons:

I haven't run into any negatives with the software.

Alternatives Considered: Screenscape, Signagelive, ScreenCloud, Mvix Digital Signage, Rise Vision, ScreenHub, truDigital, MangoApps and NoviSign

Reasons for Switching to Play Digital Signage: Price, Value, Ease of Use, Customer Support

Nelson
DIRECTOR in Portugal
Media Production, 2-10 Employees

shots review

Comments: many play bugs, the app is often turned off and local technical assistance has to be done, I use android boxes

Pros:

ease of playlist creation, easy access to the app, creation of groups of screens

Cons:

few and weak templates, many app bugs , constant service failures with RSS , overlay this service on slides

4 months ago

HI Nelson, Thanks for the review. Regarding your comment, we'd like to know more about how and what you experience. "Many APP bugs" + "app is often turned off" sounds like a overloaded player. We are not in control of the player nor the resources in the player so if the content is too heavy for this player it will break down, but it's really not related to our APP or our software in general. Feel free to reach out if you want me to take a look at your content. Also, our Live Chat is available 24/7 should you have questions.

Kelsey
Branding Lead in US
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 51-200 Employees

Love everything about Play Signage!!

Comments: I've only called customer service 2 times and each time has been beyond helpful! [SENSITIVE CONTENT was a helper for me today (a login issue due to our emails changing domains) and they were able to help not only quickly but extremely efficiently too.

Pros:

The easy of use. Adding screens and updating the communications slides is wonderful and streamlined. I can rest assured that TV's I cannot physically see are updated! Plus, by using the app on a small computer device (we don't have smart TV's) the communications are displayed 24/7.

Cons:

I found connecting to the TV was a bit cumbersome, but this is because we don't have smart TV's. After buying a small computer device, it worked beautifully.

7 months ago

Hi Kelsey, Thanks for the review, we appreciate you taking the time to do this. Regards Lars

Rene
Owner in Netherlands
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees

Especially given the budget there is no better system

Comments: Pleasantly surprised that there is so much possible. The hardware is also flexible and ensures that everything runs smoothly.

Pros:

Flexible, with many possibilities. Good hardware choices

Cons:

rss feed limited, limited roles for users

Alternatives Considered: Yodeck

Reasons for Choosing Play Digital Signage: Expensive, expensive hardware, very complex, poor support

Switched From: TDM Systems

Reasons for Switching to Play Digital Signage: Doesn't restrict playlist in playlist which is essential for me. Hardware is not limited to Raspberry

8 months ago

Hi Rene, thanks for the review, we appreciate you taking the time to do this. Please e-mail me your feedback regarding the limited RSS feed and roles, perhaps it's something for the roadmap.

Bruce
Manager in US
Food & Beverages, Self Employed

Intuitive software with fantastic customer service

Comments: I had an initial conversation with [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] before trying out the software. He is exceptionally knowledgeable and personable, and did not try to "sell me" the product. We discussed it's potential and limitations.
Once I started playing with the software, I had a couple of questions, and [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was just an email or IM away.
[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] really went above and beyond in helping me out. I am really impressed with [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], the software and the company.

Pros:

The software is pretty easy to use, I love the drop-in, plug-and-play capabilities. And when things get a little confusing, the customer service is beyond extraordinary, going way and above what you would expect!! I also really liked the image and video options that come standard with the package.

Cons:

I 'm not a fan of the gif's but I'm sure others could find better uses for them than I could. It would also be nice to be able to edit my playlists from my smartphone, but having a tablet that works, helps tremendously.

8 months ago

Hi Bruce, Thanks for your review, we appreciate you taking the time to do this. Regards Lars.