Filter by:

• Overall

About Sunrise

Cloud-based bookkeeping tool to streamline finance & accounting, tax assistance & preparation, documentation, expense tracking & more.

Learn more about Sunrise

Matt A.
Matt A.
Video Producer
Motion Pictures & Film, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 31/10/2019

"It gets me paid without a hassle"

Comments: Overall, this has been a remarkable software, and the support is outstanding.

Pros: I've used several invoicing platforms and so far, Sunrise is the easiest.
It's organized well, with the expense reports and other things I don't need to see frequently pushed to the side.
The main thing is to see an overview and then see my invoices. It delivers this flawlessly.
The overview shows an immediate comparison of the current year with your last year, and shows a pie chart for which clients have paid the most. It's always encouraging to see this clear info.

Cons: I would like it to integrate with TurboTax more easily. I often consider using Quickbooks invoicing just for this purpose. I'd also like a receipt snapshot feature like Quickbooks Self-Employed has, where I can just take a picture of a receipt and immediately import it into my expenses.

• Reviewed on 31/10/2019
Owner/Designer
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 19/03/2019

"Billy vs Freshbooks"

Comments: Overall, I am using Billy because of the lifetime deal I have for it. It provides a substantial savings over the monthly cost for Freshbooks. However, without the features, workflow, and integrations that I have come to rely on for my business, I make up for the cost with my time (or a less efficient business). For the cost, I can't complain and even then, Billy really is a nice piece of software for managing quotes, invoicing, and payments.

Pros: I purchased a lifetime deal of Billy through AppSumo, which is really the only reason I am using it. Admittedly, my experience with Billy is colored by me being a longtime user of Freshbooks (which I was very happy with!), so perhaps I had a set of expectations coming into Billy. That being said, Billy is a nice software that gets the job done. They've recently implemented Paypal payments, which I couldn't believe was missing, but so glad it's here, as I have many clients who prefer to pay that way. It shows that they listen to feedback and are actively working on their roadmap. Another plus I appreciate is that you can collect signatures for quote approvals, which is nice.

Cons: However, the two pros mentioned above, Paypal and the quotes functionality, have a flip side. The downside to Paypal is that I can't offer the option on an invoice for clients to pay via Paypal or credit card, I can only offer one or the other -- which completely defeats the purpose! Ideally, I would offer clients as many options as possible, since I don't know in advance which way they would prefer to pay. So, in order to continue to offer payment via Stripe, I can't use the (much anticipated!) Paypal feature. For quotes, it's not immediately apparent in the UI when a quote has been accepted (you have to navigate to each one individually and open it, and even then, it's not glaringly obvious). When you have multiple open quotes, this is a waste of time to continually be checking in this way. There is an option to be notified via email when a quote is accepted, but for a while this wasn't working. I ended up missing a few quote acceptances. I have also run into some weird glitches when setting up payment options. Customer support was pretty slow to respond via email, and I had to follow up multiple times to get any sort of closure on my issue. The biggest con for me (and this is only because I am used to Freshbooks) is that there is no integrated timekeeping feature. I had to search high and low to find a cost-effective solution to track time against projects.

• Reviewed on 19/03/2019
Member Services
  • Reviewed on 16/11/2018

"Limited features, but excellent for those features"

Comments: Prior to using Billy, I was using Freshbooks. Their prices skyrocketed recently, with no real improvement in features or other details which warranted the price hike. That's the reason I came to Billy, but then I was happy to see that something else was the happy result -- I get paid faster. Freshbooks invoices and the system for logging in, paying, viewing, printing, etc., must have been tedious for my clients, because the same clients getting Billy invoices, click and pay MUCH more rapidly, with FEW hiccups in the process. Simply put, with the same business, and the same clients, I get paid more often, more quickly, and with less administrative time. That's a huge win.

Pros: The ease of use, the simplicity of getting started, the clean and minimal look of the invoice templates.

Cons: There are not many bells and whistles, and that's what makes this program so simple and easy to use, but this also means some very useful features are absent -- features which are NOT complicated and should be the norm. For instance, there are two (2) features which are not overly complicated, and yet, would be very useful, if we had them: 1) Let us hyperlink a term, with a URL. I am invoicing for content, and need to reference a URL where this content can be reviewed. I must cut and paste the URL as plain text, and cannot hyperlink it to the URL. This is tedious and looks amaturish. 2) Let us have a text / narrative / summary field at the BOTTOM of the invoice, instead of the top. There is a "message box" at the top of the invoice template, which positions itself immediately under the client's address. This is great for a simple greeting or other short message, but what we really need is this same feature at the bottom of the invoice, also, as a summary, or to include a narrative of some kind that gives a bit more detail on the invoice charges, or confirms a special arrangement or a message between me and my client, which may be too long to put at the top, where it gets in the way of the most important information -- the invoice details / charges.

Trevor B.
Proprietor
Internet, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/04/2018

"For someone who struggles to keep the books, Billy became my new best friend overnight."

Comments: Joy beyond belief, My accounting and bookkeeping skills were causing me a nightmare, now, I actually sleep better knowing I'm on track, the product is awesome.

Pros: The Income and expense overview - I always know where my money is and isn't, Creating Invoices is almost too easy, just enter the details, generate a PDF (with your company logo on), and email to the customer, done and dusted. Bills, scan, upload, everything in date order, I always know whatI've had to pay out, and to which customer to deliver their final invoice.
Top customers and Top vendors, AWESOME feature, s much information from these two tools can be streamlined, who is happiest with what I do, who do I need to check in with so I don't lose a client, cost per vendor, find a cheaper better way to save money, yet maintain the same level of service I've personally come to expect, always streamlining :)
Seriously, this is the greatest app in my arsenal, don't believe me, TRY IT FOR YOURSELVES, Billy really does deserve a 10 star rating.

Cons: There are two things (one I know is happening), and one that would just be a cherry on the cake. The first is currently no way to link UK bank accounts, although I've been told that will appear hopefully Q2 this year, the only other feature I feel is needed, is a personal diary/journal & a personal calendar. I do a lot of meetings, it would be great to integrate new clients and their idea's from the initial meeting as part of the historical process and the calendar because it's always a useful tool to share information with to whoever is working with you. There the only things that for me would make Billy the ultimate app for anyone.

by Billy on 12/09/2018

Hi Trevor,

We just updated our bank technology and will likely support your UK bank.

Please try to connect it again.

-Billy

• Reviewed on 24/04/2018
Bridgette D.
CFO
  • Reviewed on 21/05/2020

"Overall a Great Product"

Comments: Overall, this is a great product. With exception of the two items listed above, we have been very pleased with Sunrise.

Pros: Sunrise is extremely easy to set up and simplifies most accounting processes. We love how easy it is to upload receipts, even via mobile, and connect them to their relevant expense.

Cons: Still waiting for a recurring bills feature to be added. Like most companies, we have bills that must be paid on a monthly basis. As of yet, there is not a way to set up a recurring expense, so these same bills have to be input manually each month. Another, more recent downside is that the connection to one of my bank accounts stopped working 30 days ago which means I am unable to reconcile transactions without completing a manual download/upload. Thus far, we have been waiting for a reconciliation from Sunrise support for over 3 weeks and each time we've requested an update we are informed they are still trying to get the 3rd Party provider to assist on this.

Chris R.
Chris R.
Financial Services, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 05/05/2020

"Great Program! Simple & Easy to Use"

Comments: It has helped me exponentially in balancing my books and keeping me on track.

Pros: I love how easy it is to use. As a former quickbooks user, I was tired of how complicated they were for smaller businesses and just didn't like the look of it overall. Using Sunrise is very simple and has everything I need as a small business owner. I love how it integrates and matches my expenses and payments with my bank account, credit card and invoices.

Cons: The only process I found difficult was when I have made a return of a product. Trying to reconcile that was not as simple as I feel it could be.

by Lendio on 06/05/2020

Wow, Chris, we appreciate you leaving such a glowing review. We aim to take the power of bookkeeping and put it in the hands of our customers in a simple and easy-to-use platform. Instead of hours trying to figure out your bookkeeping, we want to give you back that time, so you can focus on growing your business. Truly, we are lucky to have such wonderful customers like yourself. Thanks again for the feedback.

• Reviewed on 05/05/2020
Carrie B.
Graphic Design, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 21/03/2021

"It suits my current needs."

Comments: I purchased a lifetime subscription to Billy via AppSumo in 2017. In 2019, Billy was acquired by Sunrise by Lendio. The transition wasn't as smooth as I would have preferred, but I'm perfectly content now.

Pros: I like keeping track of my invoices, i.e. which ones were sent, which ones are late, etc. The fact that I have customer portals now is a real bonus.

Cons: I'd love to see some of this functionality carried over to a mobile app.

by Lendio on 22/03/2021

Hi Carrie, thank you for providing your feedback of Sunrise by Lendio. We are thrilled to see you are pleased with our invoicing capabilities. I'll make sure to get your feedback to our mobile team! Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if you have any additional comments. Thank you. :)

• Reviewed on 21/03/2021
Leonardo W.
Leonardo W.
Internet, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/07/2019

"Easy to use Bookkeeping tool"

Pros: This tool was previously called Billy, but since Lendio bought it they changed the name to Sunrise. Not just the name changed, customer support improved a lot and the tool have more options. It's worth nothing that this tool will only working for people that are US-based. The double entry booking is the same used by Quickbooks and software like it. It's possible to attach receipts, invoice customers and charge them using Stripe, Square, PayPal and other payment gateways. It's a very powerful app, yet, simple

Cons: It would be nice to see recurring payments, a set and forget to charge customers that are on subscriptions. Support told me they will add it soon!

• Reviewed on 16/07/2019
Sam D.
Food & Beverages, 2-10 Employees

"Easy to Use"

Comments: Great overall experience

Pros: I can churn out a quote in no time. The automation is awesome - great value for the money.

Cons: Sometimes quotes will disappear and automatically archive for some reason. Some of the features are buried deep and require looking around. Desperately needs a mobile app

by Lendio on 29/04/2020

Sam, we are ecstatic you had a pleasant experience with Sunrise. You should not be jumping over hurdles when it comes to invoicing and bookkeeping. We strive to simplify bookkeeping and will continue to improve our product for our small business owners. Our product team has been working hard on developing an app and should launch very soon. I will make sure your feedback gets in the hands of our development team. Thank you for the awesome review.

Andrew J.
Cheif Engineer
Music, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 12/05/2020

"Great software so far, a few more features would make it incredible."

Comments: This software immediately boosted my credibility and respect from my clients from the first one I sent an invoice to. Extremely user friendly and is a time saver for sure.

Pros: I love the simple design and customizability of this software. Very easy to use and is a joy to show off to clients.

Cons: A mobile app would make simple invoices ten times easier, and also a few others that I have recommended to the team. Only time will tell if they end up being developed.

by Lendio on 13/05/2020

Andrew, thank you for your amazing 5-star review. You should not be jumping over hurdles when it comes to bookkeeping and invoicing. Look out for a new and improved app in the near future. Thank you for the wonderful feedback!

Danny J.
Clean 4 You Services Manager
Consumer Services, 2-10 Employees

"Excellent accounting service"

Comments: Learning more about accounting procedures that more than meet our business model.

Pros: I already have and will continue to recommend this service to all I know, because of the unlimited ability within this accounting software I’m only beginning to understand. Thank you Sunrise.

Cons: Free service with power tool, with software Friendly interface. Wish there was a bit more customer service availability, via phone.

by Lendio on 29/04/2020

Thank you for your review, Danny. We've taken note of your feature suggestion and we will make sure it gets in the hands of our product development team. Our goal is to simplify bookkeeping for our customers, not make it more complicated. We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review.

Danny Z.
Entrepreneur
E-Learning, Self Employed

"Essential software"

Comments: Very satisfied with the app. I miss the name Billy, though :-)

Pros: I find this software extremely user friendly. I've never had a significant issue with the app, it has always worked very well. While I likely do not use it as heavily as others might, it has been perfect for my needs. Especially come tax time, Sunrise makes the paperwork as simple as a few clicks.

Cons: There are some limitations in customization, for instance it continues to ask for tax info, and asks to email invoices, even though I don't have to do this in my business. But these are minor quibbles.

by Lendio on 26/05/2020

Hi Danny, thank you for your wonderful feedback. It brings us joy to know that the software satisfies your business needs. We are always rooting for small businesses and want to make the tool as user friendly as possible. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review.

Angelos S.
Accountant
Accounting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/06/2017

"I have "install" Billy to my clients. No worries from then!"

Comments: Loyalty from my clients, Easy access to help and advice them for they everyday matters.
Clean data with easy exports for further analysis.

Pros: Simplicity, clean interface and free customizing of Chart of accounts.
Lot options for exporting in xls format (i love excel).

Cons: It have some minor things about local settings and shortcuts but it minor things! Thanks to friendly support i don't worry.

• Reviewed on 10/06/2017
Jan B.
Jan B.
Wordsmith * Book designer * Web manager
Writing & Editing, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 16/11/2018

"Easy to use and reliable"

Comments: I'm a solo freelancer who does all my own billing. I'm happy to have such a simple solution because it saves me time and headaches.

Pros: I've been using Billy for more than a year now. It's very easy to use and reliable. It meshes seamlessly with Stripe (and other payment processors, but I don't use them). When I've had occasion to contact customer service (once or twice), they've been quick to answer my question. Note: There are online accounting features to the software that I don't use, because I prefer to use my own spreadsheets. Nothing against Billy, but I choose not to use them.

Cons: I'm really reaching here, but it can be difficult to find where to go to change the wording of their default emails. I've had to drop a note in the customer service chat to be reminded how to do that. And the answer came back quickly.

Nick E.
Screen Printer/Business Owner
Apparel & Fashion, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/11/2018

"Awesome Invoicing Made Easy"

Comments: We use Billy for invoicing, quotes/estimates, as well as keeping up with our business expenses. Our customers have given us great feedback, especially being able to pay online through the invoices we send. Our money processes in a reasonable time as well. Overall, the presentation is outstanding. Very clean and easy on the eyes, not to mention easy to use as well. Can’t say enough good things. Also, we had one slight hiccup, only once, where we couldn’t get an invoice to send through email. Customer service/tech handled this quickly and we have had no issues since!

Pros: Super easy to use
Great presentation
Affordable
Great customer service
Nice features

Cons: Honestly I’m very pleased overall with everything.

Ladislav Z.
Graphic Design, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/11/2018

"Great cloud based accounting g and invoicing solution"

Comments: Using BillyApp for over a year now and we are very satisfied so far with its performance. There have been few issues here and there but sorted by fast support.

Pros: Ease of use of available features; accounting section is pretty good too and certainly creating expenses based on uploaded receipts is a plus.

Cons: Needs number of features: customer statements, better VAT handling for Irish annual Trading details return

Real Estate Agent
Real Estate, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/05/2020

"Sunrise Accounting Software Makes Bookkeeping & Invoicing Fast and Efficient..."

Pros: Sunrise Accounting Software works efficiently in almost any web browser and made my life easier. No longer having to type up invoices, track payments, and worry about how to know the status of everything has made me more efficient and decreased my stress level.

Cons: It took a little bit of time to set up and has tons of options that I am probably never going to need or use but it does exactly what I need.

by Lendio on 01/06/2020

We are ecstatic you had a pleasant experience with Sunrise. You should not be jumping over hurdles when it comes to bookkeeping. We strive to simplify bookkeeping and will continue to improve our product for our small business owners. Thank you for the glowing review.

• Reviewed on 29/05/2020
Mark L.
Entertainment, Self Employed

"Marks take"

Comments: My experience has been mostly very good until recently. I have to use Firefox because the Brave browser immediately logs me out saying logged out due to inactivity. I plan on digging deeper into what the program can do for me other than invoicing.

Pros: I use this only for invoicing and it works great.

Cons: The inability to resize columns in the invoices.

by Lendio on 21/05/2020

Hi Mark, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We've noted the issue with your browser and have reported it to our Development team. Please reach out to us if you have any other comments or concerns at [email protected] Thank you!

Donna V.
Medical Devices, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 28/05/2020

"Great For Small Businesses!"

Comments: I have had a reduction in stress and cost to do my business accounting because of using Sunrise.

Pros: This product is way simpler to use for the average small business owner than other, more costly and more complicated accounting products. Everything is very intuitive and easy to understand.

Cons: I have had repeated issues with integrating my bank information to the software.

by Lendio on 05/06/2020

Hi Donna, thank you for providing us with feedback. You should not be jumping over hurdles when it comes to bookkeeping. We strive to simplify bookkeeping and will continue to improve our product for our small business owners. Regarding your bank sync issues, we recently launch an integration with Plaid, which we believe will solve a lot of bank sync issues. When you log into Sunrise, you'll be prompted to relink your bank accounts. Please reach out to us if you have any issues. Thanks!

• Reviewed on 28/05/2020
Chief Business Development Officer
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/04/2019

"Great accounting tool"

Pros: Easy to track and manage accounts. It offers the option to upload invoices and gives general advice how to do most basic book keeping. This helps save accounting costs

Cons: It is designed for the danish market and works best if used there. Will be great to offer more customisation for invoice

• Reviewed on 18/04/2019
Jennifer M.
Graphic Design, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 21/05/2020

"Great for My Small Company"

Pros: It has made it easier to track my billing.

Cons: Sometimes I have trouble finding features I need that are buried.

by Lendio on 26/05/2020

Thank you for your review, Jennifer. We're glad you found tracking your transactions effective. If ever run into obstacles surrounding features, our support team is eager to help. Please reach out to them if you need additional information.

Sébastien O.
Sébastien O.
Customer Success Manager
Consumer Services, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/11/2018

"Great software for small businesses"

Comments: The team is very communicative and provide a great support when it is required.

Pros: It is super easy to use and all invoicing and accounting features required for small businesses are included. Great value for the price!

Cons: Lack of translations available for templates. I would like to have templates available in other languages or be able to translate all text variables myself.

• Reviewed on 17/11/2018
Cammy A.
  • Reviewed on 08/06/2017

"Billy, my online accountant."

Pros: They support all major currencies, and some international banks. Have to request if your bank isn't supported.
All transaction fees are with the payment processor you use, either Paypal or Strip.

Cons: Doesn't seem Cannot change the VAT value to suit different country.
No language translations.
No paypal payments... only Stripe is available.

by Billy on 12/09/2018

Hi Cammy,

You can actually change VAT or TAXes to say what ever you like.

Please contact our support to learn how.

-Billy

• Reviewed on 08/06/2017
Brand Designer | UI, UX & Visual Designer
Design, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 28/05/2019

"Simple and fast accounting for US and Canadian residents"

Comments: I had a good experience using Billy during that one and half years while I used it. After that I was forced to quit using it, which was quite a shame, because I liked it. As I already mentioned, they no longer support users outside of the US and Canada.

Pros: Really fast interface, modern UI, streamlined functionality. These are all connected and that's the most appealing thing about Billy, it's really blazing fast and it has all the basics you need for bookkeeping and creating invoices.

Cons: A couple of months ago I would have say that everything is fine. I really liked the software. Now they decided to sell the company and the new owners do not support residents outside of US and Canada. So my story stopped here with Billy. If this does not apply to you, try it, use it. It's a really simple app that just works.

• Reviewed on 28/05/2019
Mayo L.
Mayo L.
Teacher
Education Management, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/11/2018

"Fire Your Personal Finance Manager"

Pros: Billy helps you manage your personal finance with a fraction of a cost of a professional finance manager. It's intuitive and easy to use. It also available for mobile.

Cons: There's practically no bank integration for users in Asia. While the app is still functional without the integration, it would be nice for us not to be left out.

• Reviewed on 26/11/2018